Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    whelmar- You're right now that I think about it.....the van did come in Atlantic Blue as well. Sometimes I have problems remembering what I had for dinner last nite. ;)

Would it be possible for you to email me a picture of your van? I've never seen one in that color and I'm sure my wife would like to see it.

Also, is there anyone out there that has production numbers for the 2005 Grand Caravan SXT Special Edition? Just curious.
  • vanbuyer2vanbuyer2 Member Posts: 19
    Went to the dealer the other day and looked at the '05 T&C. Loved the looks of the Limited or maybe a Touring with leather. I am currently the owner of a Toyota Corrolla and a Honda Accord so most likely will look at the Sienna and Ody too. The T&C seems to offer so much in an attractive package.

Question, has anyone had problems with LATCH car seats in the T&C? I need to make sure the stow n go seats are adequate to safely install 2 car seats. Overall the van seems really nice and I love the DVD. This would be my first American car in several years and so far I like what I am reading about the T&C. Anyone with car seats ever have any issues securing them?
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    There is definitely a rubber mat available to fill the mounting location of the console. It is not the mat inside the bottom of the console, but a more rigidly formed rubber mat sized to exactly fit the mount. I got one with my T&C Limited to fill the mount between the 2nd row seats whenever I took out the console, but wanted another one for the mount between the front row as well. Anyway, the part cost approx. $35...Chrysler does make alot on their parts...
  • rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    I have a '04 T&C Limited, black metallic/gray leather, NAV/Sirius radio/DVD ready (no rear screen), moonroof, power pedals...totally loaded...13,500 miles.

I'm in central IL, asking $26,000...with all the incentives out there, I might have to take a bit of a hit on this price...any interest !??
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    We have a '05 Touring model and we have 2 car seats in the second row. They fit fine. The latch system is required/recommended for use in Chrysler vans. We have almost 3500 miles since we got the van in May and ZERO problems so far. Very comfortable!!
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Was just at the Honda problem area.....all sorts of issues!!!! I need something to whine about too!!!! It's not fair the honda people get to chat endlessly about AC condensers, engine replacement etc..... IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!

Ohhhh I have one!!!! I'm not getting 40mpg!!!!!!!!! Think I'm gonna try suing DCX!!!!
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    Just picked up my TC touring -loaded with dvd, side curtain, etc....first impressions, it appears that the FM radio reception is lacking..lots of static on stations that should be strong ?? Still trying to figure out how the whole cd/dvd player works indepently...example I want to play a dvd for the kids while listening to the radio or cd in the front ? NO ONE at the dealership knew how to do this. Also I cant figure out how to load 6 cds in my player, it also appears that my dvd player holds 6 dvds, how do I get the aux input to work so I can run my iPod thru my system.

The rear view mirror looks cheap, I am used to the auto dimming unit that was much bulkier that I had in my Windstar. LOVE the sto & go and all that extra storage. Why didnt Chrysler have turning signals built into the side view mirrors? Not impressed with engine performance, but the tranny shifts very very smooth.

Thats all I have to report for now....wish I had the reverse sensing system, why is it so difficult to find side curtain and reverse sensing
    It sounds like we bought similar vans. I will address a couple of your questions:

CD/DVD working independently - I know of no way to do this. I don't think this is an option. If you do find a way, please post on this board so we all can benefit. We recently went to the beach and would loved to of listened to my own programming instead of Bob the Builder :cry:

CD loading - You are able to load up to 6 cd's and DVD's in combination. Not 6 cd's AND 6 DVD's. In order to load a CD or DVD, press a button (1-6), the light will blink and then you are able to load the disc. Once the disc's are loaded just press the button you want to listen to or watch. I hope this helps.

So far, we are enjoying our van. But, I would say that the side mirrors appear to be slightly on the cheap side. Not sure about your impression of the rearview mirror.

Just curious: Did you get a good deal? We ended up with all the option except the Luxury Package. We ended up paying $23,700.
    Fish

I am almost certain there IS a way to use the front audio and rear video seperately. However, in order to do so you MUST have the wireless headsets AND adjust your fade buttons to shut down the back speakers.

As for the dvd and cd, it appears that they are 2 seperate units both capable of loading and holding 6 disks each. Afterall you load the cds in the top unit and the dvds in the bottom - right? I will figure it out and post to confirm this.

As for my deal, I got EP pricing with the lux package and paid 28500. Was hoping to find a Mag Pearl color with all the opts I wanted. Now I see that the EP has been extended and I am mad at myself for not waiting it out. I really wanted reverse sensor, fog lights and side curtain. I ended up with side curtain and adjustable pedals. It seems I can see alot of wires that should be covered ie. side veiw mirrors I can clearly see a red and two white wires in the gap between the mirror and housing. I also see the wire harness in the sliding doors.

Have noticed any reception problems with your FM radio? I remember reading somewhere in the forums about similar issues and something to do with a bad ground?

I will update my impressions as time goes one. I will say that I am out of an 02 SEL Windstar that was plauged with electrical issues. Sad to say that this was my second Windstar with similar issues, my 2000 SEL was a total lemmon.

Good luck with yours
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    If you have navigation the top unit is for the navigation DVD only. The bottom unit can load up to 6 DVD/CD'S.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    how do I get the aux input to work so I can run my iPod thru my system. "

You need a cable and adapter from Radio Shack. A mini stereo cable (the headphone output or line out from an iPod or simlar device), and an adapter that converts that to RCA outputs (red and white, which go into the DVD changer)

Let us know if you get the headphgones working spearately. I never really played with them much, but my kids are too small to use now. Nice to know if it's there to use in 2 years
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    wish i could feel same way about zero problems, nothing but grief with my 05 lx, multiple tranny noises and whine at 87 miles, muffler sounded like glass pack, paint runs and underpainting in door areas, finally at 1,500 miles replaced transmission after a TSB did not work and i requested a new van, they said it was for customer satisfaction, why i don't know, as all noises are gone now, whos fault is that, also new muffler system, still havent had time to get paint work done, most disappointing purchase in my life, i thought chrysler had their act together, never again, i will test drive a car at least 50-60 miles before purchasing, dealer made money on sale and made money on replacing all items from chrysler, what a rip off a chrysler product, cant even build a new car right, they just remanufacture after selling to please customer, was in garage almost 3 weeks only 1 more week to go and i file a lemon claim, they should have replaced car when i requested it, very unsatisfied with chrysler :lemon:
    I don't think you can load 6 CD's in the top unit. Maybe you can, but I'm not aware of it. I will look tonight in the owners manual to verify. I do know that the bottom unit holds either CD's or DVD's. We have both in ours and it works either way.

Our FM works fine. To be honest, we (I) have listened to FM maybe 3 times in 3 months. Between Sirius, CD's and DVD's, FM is rarely used.
    Hmmmm. Sorry to hear about all your problems, but we have had great experiences with our Touring model so far. But, any manufacturer that builds millions of new cars a year will produce an occasional :lemon: .

Good luck and just FYI: Your post was 1 CONTINUOUS sentence(run on sentence). It makes it VERY difficult to read and comprehend.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    You state: " We ended up with all the option except the Luxury Package. We ended up paying $23,700."

Might I ask what was the sticker price of your van? If you did indeed get a Touring with all options but the luxury package for $23,700, you really got a bargain. I got the luxury, leather, and trailer tow groups only (no DVD, side airbags, moonroof or any of those type of options) and in white (no paint color premium) and the best I could do was $27,700. The window sticker on mine was $33,400.
    OK - I figured it out !

You can load any combination of 6 disks cd or dvd. IF you want to play a DVD and listen to the radio in the front you CAN do it. All you need to do is push the headphone icon on the remote, it will then appear on the radio display near the time. Now all you need to do is push the mode button to FM or AM and the radio will play, of course if you want to fade the sound to the front speakers only. By doing this you will be able to listen to music while your kids watch their favorite flik.

I still feel the reception on the radio is medeocre at best on the T&C. Still upset at myself for rushing to buy the car to get the EP plan only to find out it has been extended. Of course had I waited, it would have ended....
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    You forgot to mention that Mr. Grille is one of the HOTTEST items for aftermarket purchase to protect the AC condenser for the 2005 Odyssey. :blush:
    One complaint I would have with my 2002 T&C LX is the noisy transmission that downshifts 2 gears when I stomp on the gas....and then mostly roars :cry: whereas the 5 speed AT of the 2004 Sienna jumped forward with a surge of power like a scared jackrabbit when stomped hard on the gas pedal. ;)
    However, to get separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger I would have to get at least an XLE with the XLE Pkg # 4 that costs $2575 making the MSRP over $32,000 while a Caravan SXT has the feature for MSRP $22,940. :confuse:
    My father has a 2002 Sienna XLE I think?? Never a problem except for mom backing into RV with it and damaging the taillamp (she's lucky she's alive - Dad not killing her that is :) I'm always impressed riding in it!!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, we already have a topic for comparing Dodge/Chrysler vehicles with the Honda Odyssey -- if you'd like to talk about that, please take your discussion there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

The deal we got was the following: I don't remember the exact MSRP. I believe the MSRP on my wife's van was $33,400 +/-. Our price was $23,700 plus we got a 7yr/85K mile warranty for $1300.

The Van:

Stone White Town & Country Touring with Tan interior
    Rear DVD Entertainment System
    Side Curtain Airbags
    Removeable center console
    Sirius Satellite
    6 Disk CD Changer in Dash
    Interior Leather

I think thats it. I contacted about 5 different dealers in my area and this quote was easily the lowest. I asked for a faxed copy of the quote and they obliged. I honestly thought when I arrived at the dealership on that Saturday morning the price would mysteriously increase. But, it didn't. I asked the finance guy how they got to this low price and he said that the price was actually too low (a mistake) but they were going to honor it. Needless to say I was pleased. Other dealerships called me asking if I had made a decision and I told them what I payed and they all were skepticle. I don't think they believed me.

The only other discount I got was a 1% additional discount because I work for BellSouth. I guess it was some fleet discount program.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, Folks,

This topic is intended for discussion of the attributes, features and owner experiences with these vehicles. We have a discussion to discuss T&C buying experiences here:
    Chrysler Town & Country: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    Chrysler Voyager/Dodge Caravan:Prices Paid & Buying Experience

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Ok

I have had the car now for 5 days and had some time to look it over pretty throughly. What strikes me more than anything is the wiring that is visible in areas where you wouldnt expect to see it. Examples: behind side view mirrow on drivers side- wires visible in the gap between mirror and housing (2 red 1 white), between headlamp on drivers side and front fascia (orange&black), the wiring harness for the pwr sliding doors. Just seems to me that these should have been wrapped in some sort of protective insulation. In all my cars I have owned (lots 15+) I never recall seeing colored wires just in plain view like that. Its distrubing as I feel that eventually the rubbing of a wire against a piece of the body will wear thru and cause a problem. Asthetically speaking, it doesnt bode well for the car either

Attention all new T&C owners, please check your cars and tell me if I am the only one with these concerns, I would love to know
    Wow!! I thought I noticed every detail about my cars. I have never noticed any exposed wires on my wife's minivan. The only odd thing I have noticed is a sensor type thingy that is exposed in the front bottom air dam that looks like it would be VERY prone to debris damage. As far as fit and finish, which I consider your issues to be, the interior fit and finish is better than I ever expected for a Chrysler product. The exterior F & N is definitely not up to my VW Passat standards. But, overall I hope this van lasts at least 5 years.

Overall, it sounds as though you are not too pleased with your T&C purchase. perhaps you should of "slept" on the decision a little longer.
    My 2002 T&C LX has no detectable flaws...UNLIKE my Volkswagen Bus that turned out to be JUNK.
    I will probably buy another DaimlerChrysler vehicle but no more Volkswagens for me. ( Is Volkswagen :sick: the German work for JUNK ?)
    What year VW Bus did you have?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I heard those old 1970's VW microbuses main fault was the interiors did not hold up to well to marijuana smoke! :P
    1976. :sick: ( It is included in my Town Hall profile). ;)
    Has anyone added their own factory Center Console to their Minivan? I'm assuming it's pretty str8 forward....plug in harness, screw console down????

Any pointers greatly appreciated
    I guess I find it funny how people base their perception (buying habits) on an entire car company based on a car experience they had almost 30 years ago.

Anyway....back on topic. My wife asked me to listen to her van because she's saying it is making a slight squealing or chirping noise on startup. This only happens when the car has been sitting for many hours (overnight). I started the van this am before I left for work and the noise is noticeable, but not too bad. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Probably your serpentine belt is slipping a bit during startup. You may be due to replace it.
    Well, I only have 3500 miles on our '05 T&C. I set up an appointment to drop the van off Monday evening so it can sit overnight. We'll see.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    Mine does the same at 3500 miles. More of a clicking noise. The service writer at the dealer said it may the valves because it takes awhile for the oil to get up in there. This started at 2000 miles and continues. Only option is to leave at the dealer overnight .... Only to get the same explanation probably. Let me know if you find out anything.
    I will report back. I have no problem leaving the van at the dealers since they will provide a loaner.
    My first serpentine belt on our '96 went at least 50K miles. I don't remember exactly as it has been several years since I changed it. Second one is still quiet, now at about 83K miles.

I didn't realize yours van is so new. Let the fix whatever the problem is under warranty.
    My wife drove a '02 Tahoe that had a tick when the engine was cold. The dealer said this was normal for the 5.3 and 4.8 engines. Not sure how true that was, but we never intended on keeping the car for that long so.....Maybe they will say the same about our T&C. Though we do plan on keeping this van for at least 5 years.
    Good point. Too many people bad mouth DC minivans based on transmission problems over a decade old.
    However, my niece's VW Jetta quit not long ago when either the engine or transmission conked out. A good friend's daughter got stranded when her VW Jetta engine conked out. I warned both of them NOT to buy a VW based on my experience and now there are 2 more people to add to the list of former VW :sick: owners.
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    Just got an '05 T&C with Nav, DVD, and Sirius. It is an RB1 radio. In order to register with Sirius, an ESN (electronic serial number) is required. In the owners manual it indicates how to display this by pushing the CD eject and Time buttons simultaneously. Guess what, there is no time button on this radio. I phoned Sirius, they couldn't help and said call the dealer. After about 20 minutes with the dealer, they said they would investigate with service. They called back with a service tech their expert in these systems and after going through the system and the manual, they couldn't get it either. They have suggested I come in this week so they can REMOVE my unit to see the serial number on the back of it. I am not interested in having this done to a brand new van. There has GOT to be a better way to display this. I assume there is some key combination. Can anyone help?? How did you guys get the Sirius registered? Thanks so much!

Brian
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    My dealer finally managed to get me the rubber mat you spoke of. They even sent it to me via UPS and didn't charge me a cent for either the mat or the shipping.

Unfortunately, it seems that Chrysler redesigned the console in the stow and go models and the mat won't fit. The new console is shorter front to back, a bit wider, and lacks the various useful compartments that the MoPar accessories site shows for earlier model DC Minivans. Just another example of decontenting, I reckon.
    After starting the van this morning to back it out of the garage to wash it, the noise was very loud. It sounds like the water pump or maybe the power steering pump groaning. It's getting me a little nervous that such a new minivan may/will have a problem like this. I guess I'll wait until I drop it off at the dealer Monday evening to determine how serious it is.
  • miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I just bought a 2005 Grand Caravan SE with the 3.3 engine and wanted to know what people are averaging for mileage. So far I cannot believe how much I love this minivan. I got it for $16500 with 11k miles used. It has pw, pdl, pm, cd and cassette, tinted glass, front and rear ac with controls in the rear as well. It has a tach and roof rack. I got a slammin deal now I want to know what the mileage may be?
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    My 2005 T&C LX is nothing but junk, new transmission at just over 1,000 miles, new muffler system, multiple paint runs, i.e., rain runs, unfinished paint spray on inside doors, prime shows, etc., most disappointing purchase ever made :lemon:
    WHY didn't you look at your minivan before you purchased it? :confuse:
    I would not even buy the sainted Odyssey without looking at it closely. :blush:
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    Well...I found this on a Jeep Cherokee site, and it worked:

In order to activate the satellite radio, you will need to call the satellite radio service provider and give them an Electronic Serial Number (ESN). This number is provided on a card or sheet of paper with the Receiver/Antenna kit. On the RB1 Navigation radio, this number is also visible on a special diagnostic screen once the system has been installed.

To view the Electronic Serial Number on the RB1 navigation radio, follow this procedure:

1. Insert the Navigation CD in the radio's CD player and allow the radio to perform the update. Note - Skip this process if the update has already been performed.
    2. Press the CD/AUX button on the radio until the "SAT" feature is displayed on the screen.
    3. Highlight SET on the screen using the Select Encoder Knob (knob is on the bottom left of the radio).
    4. Press the cancel button 4 times.
    5. The ESN number will be displayed.
  • alpenaalpena Member Posts: 1
    which I bought just 2 weeks ago. It has EVERYTHING I wanted, a sunroof, power doors, CD/Cassette, tons of rooms, a great color (inferno red), it handles so nice. The ONLY thing I can't get usd to is the steering :( wheel, it seems to be a bit off balance, the bottom hole does not line up in dead center, is this right? Otherwise, I know I made the right choice. :blush:
    So , I brought my wife's van to the dealer yesterday and they provided a Limited Loaner. I pull out of the dealer and think....wow...this things feels much peppier than out Touring Minivan. Do you all think it could be because our van only has 3500 miles on it and this loaner van has over 10K? Does our van need to be broken in more. I'm not sure, but there seems to be a difference in acceleration between the 2.

Also, The lady that drove us to the rental office (dealer rental office) asked what was wrong with our van. I told her about the start up noise and she said a couple of the rental vans had the same problem. They were in for service for the same noise!!! I expect a call this am.....
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    Should I pony up the extra dollars for the 3.8L, or should I stick with the 3.3L? I don't do any towing, but I don't want to strain the engine. Is the 3.8L quieter? Any thoughts? :)
    I took my new T&C on a road trip this past weekend ...just some thoughts to share

First off, the bright light controls do not give you the ability to "flash" the brights...a must have for slightly aggressive drivers such as myself that need to give a reminder to the slow poke who stays in the left lane.

Next, the steering wheel controls for the cruise should be illuminated - being that this is primarily my wifes car I will never get used to the exact functions of the various buttons. Although I will say that the audio controls on the back side of the steering wheel are great, real good idea with those

Next, wiper controls...all around bad thinking here, the washer button, no quick wipe feature...absolutely horrible design...my toyota truck has a seperate arm on the r/s of the steering wheel for all these features

Next, the window controls on the drivers door....where is the illumination - the micro light for the drivers window only is too dark and forget about trying to find the vent buttons...geez buzzing along at 70 - 80 at night and trying to find buttons on the steering wheel and door - an accident waiting to happen

Overall...there is lots of room for improvment on the T&C...I am having second thoughts and thinking I should have given more consideration to the Sienna.
    Well, I talked to my dealer about the noise at startup and he said the power steering fluid was a little low. They topped it off and started the van this am and the noise was gone. I am not sure I believe them, but will find out this afternoon when I pick the van up.

Do you all think this is possible and why would the noise only be presentwhen the engine is cold and it goes away when warm?
    The PS fluid expands some when it warms up, so it could be that the system was marginally low when cold but when the fluid warmed up it was full enough so the noise went away. Just a guess on my part. Maybe it wasn't filled full enough from day 1.
    Thanks for the response. I think your (and dealers) assessment is correct. They topped off the PS fluid and the noise seems to be gone. I'm sort of pissed at myself because I am ANAL about checking the fluids and tire pressure in my cars and not sure how this got by.

When I got to the dealership yesterday I asked why the fluid was low in the first place. He said it might of been low from the factory. Ia sked shouldn't that of been caught at the dealer and just looked at me like I was accusing him of something.....which I was I guess ;)