Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    My thoughts exactly!! I was going to say why would you need to set the temp in the morning to 85 and in the evening to 60? The point of AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL is to set the temp on a comfortable 72degrees and let the system work. Shipo said it well!!
    I feel for you as far as the rattles are concerned. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Luckly, our '05 T&C has ZERO rattles in the 7500 miles we have driven.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I've never thought of that! I'll try it out. Thank you.

One think I don't like, though, is that air is blowing all over, on the windshield (defroster) here and there, The system's mind is different than mine :)
    Well, I guess I can see your frustration. But you can manually change the direction the air blows (face, mid and feet) by turning the system to manual setting. I do get a tad frustrated when it's cold outside and the system, when set in auto mode, directs the air to my feet when my upper body is chilly. But the system will warm up the cabin if given time. So far, we are really enjoying our van.
  • dm3dm3 Member Posts: 25
    We're very happy so far with our 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. Almost 3000 miles so far. We like it much better than our 2005 Toyota Sienna.
    Handles great, gets better gas mileage (23-27mpg), more functional.
    We've had a first problem develop, hasn't been back to the dealer yet. The power rear liftgate sometimes doesn't close on the 1st try. The gears aren't meshing right. Otherwise no problems.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My 2002 T&C LX HAS illuminated controls for power door locks, windows, mirrors but not the ignition key ring. It also has the heating coils at base of windshield, closable bins for 3rd row, dual lights on liftgate, dual lights on visors for front row, and NO squeeks or rattles. ;)
    The steering wheel is a whopping 1/8th inch larger diameter than Carl's 2006 Sienna LE and my sister's 2002 Ford Explorer which are each 14-7/8 inches in diameter while the T&C LX is 15 inches. I will measure the diameter of my son's 2001 Odd EX when I next see it.
    I prefer the complete set of audio controls on my T&C LX much better than the more complex controls on the Sienna and Odyssey where more than one function is on a control.
    Complicated automatic temperature controls? All Odd EX-L that I have test driven (2002, 2005, and 2006) have VERY complicated temperature and heater fan controls. :sick: If the GC SXT with automatic control is as complicated as the Odd EX-L, it is definitely not as easy to use as the manual Triple Zone Control on my 2002 T&C LX.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    We like it much better than our 2005 Toyota Sienna.

Why did you get rid of your Sienna? My father loves his 2003 Sienna and the Dealership (doubt he'll ever buy from another dealer).
    Problems started on the way home from buying the Sienna. We noticed a vibration which ended up taking the dealer 3 weeks to fix. In the process they disabled the car for a week. No one cared, not the dealer, not Toyota. Eventually they fixed it, things were ok. We noticed many little annoyances. What was bothering me most was how it drove. Feels like you're driving a big lumbering minivan. I kept saying I wouldn't let that bother me, after all it is a big minivan, but it did.
    4 weeks after they had fixed the problem we parked on a street and went to a festival. Upon returning the Sienna had been hit. I was eventually able to get it totalled. We rented a Grand Caravan SE for 3 weeks. Felt very base compared to our Sienna, but the more we used it the more we liked it.
    Went shopping for a new van, took a fresh look at Sienna, Odyssey and Caravan. We had never looked at the Caravan 1st time around. Ended up with a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. I like the way it drives. Seating configuration isn't as flexible as the Sienna. We'll see over time if thats a problem or not.
  • mikev_comikev_co Member Posts: 13
    I was trying to locate this info and could not find it on the Dodge website. Anyone know of the difference between these two years, if any?

Thanks! :)
    NONE that I have been able to find and I have looked very closely at both the 2005 and 2006 GC SXT....unless you count the lowering of the power from 215 HP and 245 Lb-ft torque initially listed for the 2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6 and the 205 HP and 240 Lb-ft listed for the 3.8L V6 in the 2006 brochure. :cry:
    The base price increased periodically for the 2005 GC SXT from $ 26,315 + $ 680 Destination ( $26,995) to $ 26,895 + $ 730 Destination ( $ 27,625) while the 2006 GC SXT was $ 27,710 + $ 730 Destination ($ 27,830) at introduction.
    No changes that I know of. I bought a 2006 DGC SXT. The engine did not change. Haven't been able to figure out why some places list the HP as 215hp and others at 205hp. Thoughts elsewhere is that stow-n-go caused a longer exhaust pipe. But that change was made for 2005 so it should affect both years. Another thought is that it could be the new SAE HP testing procedures.

One big difference is that 2005 came with a 7/70 powertrain warranty whereas the 2006 comes only with a 3/36 bumper to bumper. One of the worst warranties in the industry. Honda added a powertrain warranty, Toyota has one. Worst warranties are Chrysler, GM, Ford (on most models).

I also have learned the hardway that despite there being practically no changes between the two model years, there are some subtle changes. The most common tow hitch for the 2005 does not fit on the 2006 because the rear A/C lines were moved slightly. Hiddenhitch et.al. are redesigning the hitch. There's a uglier hitch that is available that fits that I installed on our DGC. It works fine.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    The 2nd row Stow N Go covers are tri-fold for 2006 instead of bi-fold. Allows some access to the bins without moving the front seats all the way forward. Still need to more them forward to stow the seats, though. That's all I've noticed so far. My brother just got a 2006 T&C Touring and I have an 05.

The powertrain warranty is down from 7y70k for 2005 to 3y36k for 2006. That's about $250 if you you want it.
    Where is it $250 for the 7/70? I've been looking on line and can't find it for anywhere near that price. Closer to $1000.

If you do have a source for cheap extended warranties, I'd also be interested in extending the bumper to bumper.
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    $250 for powertrain only. That's what my brother was offered.. He's leasing for 24k miles, so no need for an extended warranty. Sorry, I don't know of a good source for discounted DCX extended warranties.
    Where is it $250 for the 7/70? I've been looking on line and can't find it for anywhere near that price. Closer to $1000.

If you do have a source for cheap extended warranties, I'd also be interested in extending the bumper to bumper.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Just purchased a new 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for my dad. He and my mom are retirees who like the flexibility of a minivan. He owned a 1997 Grand Caravan that was up 108,000 miles (he purchased it used in 2002 when it had 58,000). It had some problems, mostly electrical. Still, he loved it and it was trouble free up until around 90k.

Anyway, we shopped for months, including during the employee pricing period. I actually think we got a better deal now than was around then.

His is a Midnight Blue SXT with a 6 disc CD changer and a center console added.

MSRP was 28225
    We paid 21172, including freight (but not taxes and tags).

Build date 10/05.

There is a $3500 rebate, plus another $3500 in dealer discounts. We bought from Fitzpatrick Dodge in Frederick Maryland...they have over 100 in stock and said they needed to move some. This is a no-haggle dealer--usually I'm not a big fan as I feel like I can do better, but the big DC area dealers didn't come close to that price.

We did get a lowball offer on the 97 for a trade, so we declined and today sold it to Carmax for $800 more.

All in all, it was a great transaction, they were a good dealer to work with and a Grand Caravan SXT for $21172 seems like a great deal.
    Congrats on the purchase of a new van. i am sure your Father will enjoy the van.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I hate to admit this...

All my friends have SUVs. I have one friend who desperately needed a Jeep to get to work in the winter. He lives 2 miles from his office....2 minutes away via a flat, 6 line road!!!

I'm not close to retirement (age wise) but can't think of a more perfect vehicle for anyone.

I have a 2005 DCG SXT.....not a single issue, good gas mileage, nice quiet ride, space and a fantastic price.
  • jojoemcjojoemc Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 05 SXT in APril and I have 9000 miles on it
    My tires are absolutely filthy with brake dust. It's awful. I can't make it one day with shiny silver wheels. I never had the problem on my '96 or '99 GC sports I owned.
  • jojoemcjojoemc Member Posts: 2
    I have an '05 SXT with 9000 miles / 6 months old. It is the third Chrysler minivan I owned and the transmission is really bothersome. I drive it daily and my husband on evenings/weekends and trips. We both notice this issue when we drive the vehichle.

When you accelerate it feels like you are on driving on gravel. It vibrates a little, seems to skip, then seems to kick in/grab. I had the dealership check it out in July and they told me after checking it that "Chrysler was aware of the problem and that it was a software issue!" (The service manager even told the family in front of me who was picking up their car from service the same thing!)

Fast forward 4 months, still doing it, increasingly so.
    Dealer has had my car for 4 days and wants my husband & I to do a ride along, because there is nothing wrong with our transmission. They don't notice what we are describing.

Has anyone had similiar experience please?? I have never had this on my other vans (and I assume I'm driving the same way) nor is it on the T&C loaner I was given.

Thanks!
    I appreciate your input on the comparisons between 2005 and 2006 SXT. Based on the replies, I'm going to find a low mileage used 2005 SXT. My wife and I test drove the van in March and liked it a lot, especially the stow and go seats. My target price for a '05 SXT is 17-18k out the door including tax and a bumper to bumper 7/100k warranty. The Dodge certified used vans come with a 8/80k powertrain warranty, so I don't think it would be too much more for the upgrade. Is my target price too low? When I go to cars.com I see 05 SXT's for almost around the same price as a new one (20-21k). Thanks again for your time. I've enjoyed reading your replies. :)
    21k is a great deal. Back in March we could not go lower than 23k on a 28k msrp 05 sxt van. Congrats on your purchase!
    MAKE sure the used GC SXT is Dodge Certified and not just a used GC SXT sold by a Dodge or Chrysler dealer.
    Most used GC SXT, GC SE, and T&C sold in the Salt Lake City area do NOT have the 7 year 70,000 warranty as they were rentals purchased by original leasing or renting agency WITHOUT the longer warranty. :cry:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure it's Dodge Certified first before I look into it.

It's incredible one of the first things the sales people say when talking about the price. "This is a no-haggle, internet only pricing. Make sure you bring in the flyer because it's way cheaper than retail!"

Ugh... I have a feeling this is going to take a while. :surprise: :)
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    What you're writing about the warranty is NOT TRUE. Toyota and Honda both provide 3/36 bumper to bumper (as far as I know), same as other manufacturers. But Ford & GM also include roadside assistance, not available at Toyota and DCX - altohgh the last one offer towing service only. For the others you have to pay extra for these services. And on many GM models, the tires are included in the warranty as well, something you won't find elsewhere.

Sorry for getting slightly off topic, but I just wanted to correct you. (And please correct me if I'm wrong...!)
  • kmcdonaldkmcdonald Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

If I configure a T&C here on Edmunds.com, and on another site (costco auto) The MSRP's come out exactly the same, but the Invoice price comes out $305 ($260 for the Dodge) more on the other site. After I noticed this, I also noticed a 'CMA' option here on the Edmunds site that isn't on the other one.

This CMA option's description is just 'CMA2' and it says something about being for the New England states (I am in MA) The price of this option is $0 MSRP, and $305 ($260 for the Dodge) invoice. If I select this option on the Edmunds configuration page, then all the prices on the 2 sites match.

So....

What is this CMA option?
    Is it 'Marketing and Advertising?'
    Do I have to have it?
    Why is it more on the Chrysler than the Dodge?

-Kyle
  • kfdmedkfdmed Member Posts: 130
    I think your are correct that its the marketing and advertising fee. The dealers in N.E. Indiana would not "waive" this fee. Just give them a bottom line price you will pay. Just dont let them add it to your negotiated price when they add the doc fee. I did pay a $169 doc fee and the CMA. But they gave me the best total out the door price.
    Where do you come off saying its not true then admit that you don't know???

Toyota comes with a 3/36 bumper to bumper with 5/60 powertrain.
    Honda has 3/36 bumper to bumper with a 5/60 powertrain. They've added the powertrain warranty for 2006 model year.
    Chrysler has 3/36 bumper to bumper and HAD 7/70 powertrain, which has been DROPPED for 2006. Now its strictly 3/36 bumper to bumper.

I should know, I recently bought a 2005 Toyota and a 2006 Dodge and considered buying a 2006 Honda Odyssey.

If your problem is not believing the new Honda warranty, here's a quote from a press release, "In addition, all 2006 Honda vehicles, including the Odyssey, will carry a new 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, extended from the previous 3-years/36,000-miles.". http://automobiles.honda.com/info/news/article.asp?ArticleID=2005081144883&bhcp=1&BrowserD- - etected=True
    Still, though, the powertrain warranty is one of the more useless items you're going to find. The powertrain is not what is going to fail on a vehicle like this. I'm surprised DC dropped the 7/70 only because it wasn't costing them much.

Our new 2006 DGC is supposed to have 24 hour roadside assistance. From my cursory look at the documents, its the same thing as GM offers. I have 2 GM vehicles ('02 Intrigue, '04 Malibu Maxx).

This is the same thing as having AAA for 3 years/36k miles. I know, I've used both---and had the SAME company respond. Only difference was that when I called GM Roadside, they responded faster (most likely because of the time of day/demand at the time). In talking with the service reps, he said they do calls for both AAA and manufacturer roadside and treat them the same.

I only say this to point out that its a nice feature to the warranty which other manufacturers don't offer.

Thanks, Mike. Having priced these for a while now, I've never seen them that low...felt like it was time to pounce, snooze it or lose it!
    Not sure how you decide a powertrain warranty is useless. Ever heard of failing transmissions?

Chrysler roadside assistance is NOT the same as AAA. AAA covers running out of gas, flat tires, locking yourself out of the car etc. Chrysler roadside only covers cases where the vehicle is not drivable because of a Chrysler defect, ie the transmission failed therefore we will tow you. If you run out of gas or have a flat thats your problem and not covered.

I can't find a Powertrain warranty for $250. Doesn't seem that cheap to me. Going to www.chryslerwarrantys.com, supposedly discounted chrysler warranties, their price for a 7/70 powertrain on a brand new car to be $960 with $100 deductible. I'm not sure about the previous Chrysler warranty, but typically powertrain warranties do not have deductibles.
    At first glance it didn't look to me the roadside assistance was different from GM. You say it is, so I'll look at it more carefully. I was speaking about GM in that post. I know firsthand that GM was take care of things like flat tires. Been there, done that!

Yes, I've heard of failing transmissions. They just simply aren't very common on vehicles that are more than 3 years and 36k old but less than 7 years old and have less than 70,000 miles on them. In fact, they are very uncommon. I certainly wouldn't
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    Has anyone installed an AutoStart system in their 2005 T&C, I am having one installed in my car this week and the guy has been back 2x. Car will not shut off unless you use the remote start fob.

Also had a back up sensor installed, what a POS. No wonder you can get these things on Ebay for under 40buck with s/h.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had these things installed or not.

Later
    Sounds very sweet!!

The program offers:

A debit card for $2,400 -- the amount of money Chrysler calculates is needed to buy 12,000 miles worth of gasoline for two years at the Chrysler group's corporate average fuel economy rate of 21.8 mpg. The plan is based on a $2.15 per gallon price of gasoline.
    Free scheduled maintenance for as many as 24,000 miles.
    A five-year, 60,000-mile full mechanical warranty, compared with the standard three-year, 36,000-mile warranty.

Excluded from the program are the 2005 and 2006 Chrysler 300; Dodge Viper, Magnum, Charger and Sprinter; and all SRT8 vehicles.

Customers can choose existing Chrysler rebates instead of the program, Murphy said. Those rebates range from $1,000 to $7,000 cash back on 2005 and 2006 models, Senior Vice President of Sales Gary Dilts said. The existing rebates are scheduled to end on Nov. 30.
  • hankehanke Member Posts: 1
    I have a question....we just purchased a 2005 T&C and they are telling us they don't come with headsets. Do you know something else about this? Are we able to purchase these on the side?

Thanks,
    Kristi
  • boesman1boesman1 Member Posts: 47
    If your package includes DVD with flip down screen, then head sets and IR remote come with the car ! Its boxed seperately and just kind of in the back seat area.

Good Luck
    What *real* value can be assigned to this program?
    What would the service and warranty cost on average?

-Kyle
    If it's the lowerend DVD player and screen, where the DVD player is seperate from the dashboard radio area (I think it's it's in the overhead with the screen,) then I beleive they are not included.

If it's the 6 disc dvd changer in the front connected to just a screen in the back, then the headphones are included. At least that's how I read the literature when I was looking.

I'm pretty sure the Dealer installed package is of the first type. The factory package could be either I think depending on the options and the trim.

-Kyle
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 Chrystler Town & Country (not any of the fancy models, just the basic model).

I like to do some basic maintenance myself such as oil and oil filter changes.

Basically I see that every other oil change I should be also changing the air conditioning filter.

What is the cheapest quality filter that I can use?

For example, I do NOT buy a Mopar oil filter and I use the Supertech oil filter sold at Wal-Mart.

Since this a/c filter needs to be changed fairly regularly, I assume that some of you should be able to quickly answer this question.

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong forum, but I couldn’t find a better place to post it.
    Can I ask a question? Why are you looking to purchase the cheapest quality parts (filters) for your Van? I believe the old saying is appropriate here: "You get what you pay for". I'm not saying ALL non OEM parts are cheap, but....why risk it on such an expensive purchase?
  • jorgejmjorgejm Member Posts: 1
    Do you know how can I change the 6 DVD charger to Multiregion?
  • gowmtribegowmtribe Member Posts: 5
    I have 2005 TC stow n go. About 3K miles. Getting a high pitched sqeaking noise from the midrow driver side area. Sometimes worse when driving over bumps. Sometimes will squeak even on smooth road. From the rear row, it is definitely from the driver side second row seat area. Could it be driver side sliding door? squeak from second row seat? Anyone else with this problem? Thanks
  • snorkelmansnorkelman Member Posts: 15
    Good question, but please re-read my post. I am NOt looking just for the cheapest junky maintenance parts. I am looking for cheap QUALITY parts.

I have done my research and I believe that the supertech oil filter is one of the top quality filters on the market, only surpassed by the expensive filters such as Mobil 1 or K&N.

For example, in the area of oil filters, Mopar's OEM filters are really nothing special. There is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filter in my opinion. Most of them are Purolators or Champions anyway.

Anyway, anyone have any info on my question about AIR FILTERS?
    I think you should more accurately say you are looking for INEXPENSIVE quality parts and not cheap quality parts.
    Unfortunately, most people equate "cheap" with low quality...which is not always true. :shades:

BTW, I have all the maintenance performed on my 2002 T&C LX at the closest Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealer as long as the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty is in effect. The dealer keeps all maintenance records in their computer as an added bonus. ;)
  • chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    My wife's 2005 GC had that same/similar squeak. I narrowed it down to the sliding door on the drivers side. It was high on the door and seemed to be coming from around the glass area. Banging on and around the glass didn't stop it. A month later I drove the van and the noise was gone.

My conclusion was that the normal opening and closing of the door sealed up that squeak. I didn't do anything else. You may want to try just opening and closing that door several times and see what happens.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    No changes that I know of. I bought a 2006 DGC SXT. The engine did not change. Haven't been able to figure out why some places list the HP as 215hp and others at 205hp. Thoughts elsewhere is that stow-n-go caused a longer exhaust pipe. But that change was made for 2005 so it should affect both years. Another thought is that it could be the new SAE HP testing procedures.

One big difference is that 2005 came with a 7/70 powertrain warranty whereas the 2006 comes only with a 3/36 bumper to bumper. One of the worst warranties in the industry. Honda added a powertrain warranty, Toyota has one. Worst warranties are Chrysler, GM, Ford (on most models).

I also have learned the hardway that despite there being practically no changes between the two model years, there are some subtle changes. The most common tow hitch for the 2005 does not fit on the 2006 because the rear A/C lines were moved slightly. Hiddenhitch et.al. are redesigning the hitch. There's a uglier hitch that is available that fits that I installed on our DGC. It works fine.

You might want to look at this, Chrysler has an extended warranty and there are more changes in the 2006. You can now get side airbags along with a moonroof on the 2006 that wasn't offered on the 2005.

http://www.chrysler.com/freedom/
  • vanbuyer2vanbuyer2 Member Posts: 19
    Everything I have read on the web site (including the build your own section) indicates that the moonroof and side airbags are still not available together. Is this true?
  • susy2susy2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! :blush:
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! <<

Funny, it's a $900 option. He probably discourage you from getting it because he didn't have any with them installed on the lot...

I don't know of any of other specific brands - but Best Buy & Circuit City always to have one on sale each week
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I have used the DVD/dual screen setup where the screens attach to the front seat head rest supports. Each of the rear passengers get a screen which they can watch different things on. They are cheap (<$300 complete), removable so you can put them in more than one vehicle and do not block rear visibility.
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    anyone buy an extended factory warranty, (as long as possible), and what did you pay? thanks