Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Question about rear differential

markmac1markmac1 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I recently purchased a 2001 silverado 1500, shortie, stepside, with a 5.3L. I was hoping the truck had a limited slip differential in it, but when I had it on the hoist, turning one wheel caused the other to turn in the opposite direction (I believe they turn in the same direction with LS??) Anywho, I was at the dealer, and he told me to look in the glovebox, and if I see G80 anywhere there, that it had a limited slip differential. G80 is one of the codes on the sticker in the glovebox. How can I test to be sure that it does have limited slip, and more importantly, it is working correctly?

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    The G80 is actually a locking rear differential. I know mine if you try spinning it to fast will lock up. Plus when it locks up when the wheels spin you can surely hear it

GM recently came out with a G86 option which is the limited slip
  • Options
    Hmm, that is what I figured. The truck will go sideways if I stand on it in the wet, but there are other times I turn the corner, and only one wheel will spin. I really don't know. I don't hear anything locking in the differential.
  • Options
    it sounds more like a gernade exploding haha
  • Options
    Ya know, you have to think to yourself when you hear that "That really can't be good for the differential"
  • Options
    it has done it since new and I have had the cover off and everything is fine. Gears looks good. It works great its just noisy (and yes there is the right amount of fluid in the diff)
  • Options
    mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    Ok, so what's the difference between a locking differential and a limited slip differential? Why would you pick one instead of the other?
  • Options
    check out this link it explains it all

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    a locking diff in a GMC truck. That diff would make the loudest "bang" when it would lock and unlock. There were times I just knew the axle had broken by the way the rear end would shake. It did that for 96k miles with no problems, that's when I sold it 4 years ago, and it is still going today.
  • Options
    Well, I tested this today, and yup, it's a locker alright. I found a stretch of road that was sloping, and there was a bunch of water that had been flowing down the street, and it froze. So I put one side on the ice, and the other on the dry pavement, and stepped on the gas. It spun for about 1 second, and then went into a pretty violent wheelhop! LOL. I looked back in the mirror, and saw a big black strip on the pavement. So I guess that works. Now another question. Is this only on the rear, or is there another one on the front as well?
  • Options
    there isnt one on the front only the rear.
  • Options
    I figured as much. Thanks! I was also noticing while I was testing this, that sometimes it takes up to 2 seconds or more of spinning before the axle locks. Is this normal? Or should it be immediate? Does it have anything to do with the speed of spin? It seems that the slower the axle turns, the longer it takes to lock.
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Only way to get the locker to lock in is if the differance in wheel speed is 100RPM or more, or so i was told by two dealerships when i asked. I know mine has it, cuz i dont use my 4X4 all the time in the winter here in minnesota, so i hear that bang quite often!
  • Options
    It still boggles my mind how something can operate in such a violent way, and operate as designed! You would think it would be similar to a LSD where very soon after spinning occurs, your lockup would occur. But apparently you need to get enough speed up first, that way the gernade effect is a lot better! LOL
  • Options
    the look on the people faces in the car behind me when mine does make the gernade noise is priceless.
  • Options
    Yep, priceless. It's that "Oh my, that sounds broken. Sucks to be him!" look :)
  • Options
    yea and you take off leaving them spinning their tires haha
  • Options
    I just can't wait to see how it's gonna perform on the drag strip next summer! Methinks I will have to get the tires nice and hot, because a lock up on traction compound may result in broken parts :)
This discussion has been closed.