Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• kemmekemme Member Posts: 4
    Your statement that the Hybrid Escape AWD gets only 22 mpg city is incorrect. My AWD Ford Escape Hybrid has 4,000 miles and has never got less than 32 mpg city.
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I took a look at Greenhybrid as they have a mileage database there. According to their participants who post mileage, the FEH 4WD gets an avg of 29 and the HH gets and average of 26. Keep in mind the HH weighs considerably more and has a great deal more performance.
  • phoebeisisphoebeisis Member Posts: 121
    kemme,the 22 mpg is C Reports city leg which is as bad(HARD) as it gets.I was just using that " real world tested number" to show how good it is.A Corolla gets 20 mpg in CR's leg,so 22 mpg on their leg is spectcular(04 Prius 35 mpg CR).Real world mixed driving folks are getting the 30 mpg you mention-very good for a 3850 lb vehicle.The CR numbers are actual driven numbers,so they are probably more reflective of real world mpg.The FEH beats a Corolla(2700 LBS) by 10% in the city-WOW!!
    Gotta go-Katrina is 15 hrs away for us.New Orleans-Charlie
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    According to the brochure link title
    the front motor's 168hp (which doesn't make sense to me) plus if you add all the power sources together it's over 400hp, so maybe it's not this simple. But, as you say, the real riddle is depleting the battery. You'd need more batteries
  • skip1skip1 Member Posts: 16
    It does seem nice to fill up less especially today. Even if the out lay for the HH is more initially. We just hit $2.999 a gallon for regular unleaded on my way to work tonight , in Milwaukee. This was a 30 cent jump from this morning. Still enjoying the HH after 2 months with 3200 miles on it, still getting about 28.4 mpg. So no complaints from me. Better fill up tonight.
  • newthhownernewthhowner Member Posts: 8
    This is my second post to this forum. Because the warning of increasing gas prices this evening I filled up again. This time I got 25.01 mpg versus the 26.5 ave mpg on the computer screen (5.62% difference). I am curious to see what I will get now since I was required to purchase super unleaded instead of regular. I did get this at the regular unleaded price though which is happy!

I also checked my tire pressure on Saturday after reading everyone's comments. All tires were at 20 psi and I raised them to 38 psi. The max tire pressure said 44 psi.

Still have not been able to get a sustained engine and battery use during acceleration or while I was under 40 mph. Any suggestions from the group would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • johnnyroasterjohnnyroaster Member Posts: 23
    I should have posted earlier but somehow this summer has flown by. After another poster mentioned tire pressure(should have been obvious thing to check), I found that my cold pressure was 54psi. I never thought to check tire pressure because it was a new car from the dealer and surely they filled the tires to the right psi. I took it down to the recommended 32 and noticed a drop in MPG. I have now settled on 36 psi as my sweet spot. I agree with other posters that it should be a monitored function in a SUV in this price range.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Posts on gasoline pricing belong in the Report Your Local Gas Prices Here discussion and have been moved there. You can follow that link and continue discussing the action at the pump there.

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    Sorry - I'm fairly new here.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Being a traffic cop here is part of the job! :)

Welcome to the forums! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! You can just click on any hosts name and pop us an email!
  • aec1aec1 Member Posts: 21
    I have been lurking here over the last several months and figured it was time to add my 2 cents. I have a 94 Accord w/137k miles on it. I have driven the non-Hybrid Highlander, MDX, RX330 and the Pilot. I ruled out the RX and MDX due to my 6 yr old son (RX) and lack of value between the MDX and Pilot to justify the price difference. This leaves me w/the Highlander and the Pilot. The Pilot has more bang for the buck (IMO). In any vehicle I get I am interested in Navi and XM/sat radio. My interest in the HH is twofold: I like they way the non-hybrid Highlander drove and have great faith in the quality control of Japanese cars(I have owned 3 Camrys, several Corollas and a Celica). My second reason has less to do w/stellar mileage and more to do w/the fact that I hate funding regimes in the Middle East (and Venezuela) and lining the pockets of an energy industry that is driven solely by profit and has absolutely no consideration or any interest of the people who buy their oil, U.S. Getting 24-30 mpg for an SUV is great mileage. I will likely keep the vehicle 10 years so I am likely to come close to breaking even, but again if it was about the money I'd save I would buy a Prius. I am waiting for the 06 Pilot to come out and drive and then will drive the HH. However, I am looking for HH Ltd w/navi and have found a company (vaistech) who has an XM sat radio system they can integrate into Lexus and Toyotas so long as they have a navi system. So I am looking at 40+ and another 500 for the radio and if the speakers are bad, I will replace them (probably another 2-500). Carmax here in Maryland has routinely been knocking 2k off of MSRP. Everyone here seems quite happy w/their purchase but like me, it seems that you all made the purchase less to save money on gas than for the "green" or other considerations. Am I right about that?
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    "it seems that you all made the purchase less to save money on gas than for the "green" or other considerations. Am I right about that?"

That's true for me. I'm more concerned about using less gas, rather than saving money on gas.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    That's true for me. I'm more concerned about using less gas, rather than saving money on gas.
    Well said!!! Same for our family.
  • jackson4jackson4 Member Posts: 2
    Before I bought my hybrid, I asked the salesman what would happen if the car experienced trouble, and I wasn't near a Toyota dealership. He said that because the technology for both the Prius and the HIghlander have been around long enough to work out the problems, there was no worry. Ten days later when the battery died (no reason) and my car was towed to the dealer, the service representative told me that because the car was so new to them, they were still learning about it, and unfamiliar with a lot of the parts.
    When I asked about gas mileage I was told that I would get at least 30 mpg; I have driven the car for about 300 miles and I'm only getting 21.
    My advice to anyone thinking about this car: talk to the service people at the dealership, not the salespeople and ask what problems have been unique to this car, and how many mechanics have become familiar with the Highlander hybrid specifically. Thoroughly check out the weak audio system and determine if you can sacrifice a sound system and survive the confusing screen symbols. I have read the instruction book, but the screen is still complicated. Other than appreciating the environmental responsibility of this car, I truly don't see any reason to buy the hybrid instead of the regular Highlander.
    Jackson4,

Sorry to hear of your battery problem. Is it the 12V that drained? or is it the traction battery?

As for mileage, please giving it some time and try driving tricks discussed in this forum. The car needs to break in first and after that the terrain where you drive (hills, mountains, flat), how you drive (fast, slow, aggressive), how often you use electric and its tire pressure all play a role in final MPG numbers.

The key now is just car breaking in (2000 miles or so) and learning some driving tricks to maximize MPG. Toyota sales is really foolish by not educating new owners. This car, unlike the Prius, is not going to return great MPG unless its drivers change driving style.

Give it some time to break in, try some of the tricks and you may be pleasantly surprised by what it can do. We are getting 28 MPG now after 1600+ miles.
  • jdkahlerjdkahler Member Posts: 50
    Yes, you've covered well our reasoning for going with a HH - fuel _saving_ in a vehicle that serves our needs. There's a certain part of the cost that goes to the uniqueness/small production run, but there are also additional safety features, just in case, that if you consider them an insurance investment, that part of the increased price is easily justified. An extra measure of safety, combined with the high view and higher stance of the HH can mean a safer vehicle.

We took the first trip over a distance last Saturday (now up to about 1200 miles), 2 passengers, 3 greyhounds (2 rescued, 1 a rescued foster getting used to people before being adopted) and some professional video gear - stowed to give the dogs maximum space - for a 160+ mile round trip over the NJ turnpike and other roads. The dogs did well - they never settled down even when riding in our old Windstar with both read seats removed - and seemed to enjoy the space and view from the back with the seats folded. Only trouble is because of the dogs we ended up buying a ramp so they can get in and our without having to be lifted, which gave us something else we had to fit in - it rode behind the front seats.

Ride continues to be comfortable and well controlled, HH fwd remains a pleasure to drive for both me - the video producer/van driver - and my wife - the Corolla lover who still one day hopes the HH will be paid for and she'll be able to get another Corolla, then hopefully a hybrid too. Not that she finds anything wrong with the HH - just her driving it is an accomplishment considering she hated to drive my minivans - but she's still not totally confortable with a bigger vehicle.

The HH isn't for everyone, we considered that we could have purchased another van, kept the Corolla and the payments would have been about the same as the HH alone. But combining her long satisfaction with Toyota's reliability, relatively expensive repairs over the years on my Fords, the fact that the HH meeting our needs for space that made a Prius not adequate, and the fuel savings which = less fuel dependence compared to anything else that would meet our needs, and the HH was the right choice. There are less expensive choices, but this is certainly a most responsible choice. And it's a great vehicle to drive and ride in, too. -John
  • johnnyroasterjohnnyroaster Member Posts: 23
    Jackson4,

I am assuming that it was the 12 volt battery that died. I have found that it is very easy to leave a door ajar or have an interior light on because one of my children played with the switch. This is a bit of a fault(because the lights don't shut off after say 2 hours) and made worse because the small 12 volt battery will run down overnight.

Your mileage will get better. Check your tire pressure and work to maximize your mpg. Google pulse and glide to find out how to eek as many miles as you can per gallon. I didn't see any big improvements in mileage until I got past 1500. It will get better and with a little work it will get great. Short trips and going fast on the highway are killers for mileage.

I was very disappointed with the JBL sound system at first. I think the speakers just needed a bit of burn-in. See the post a few above on that subject.

I agree that the interactive screen can be confusing but it will be more intuitive the more you use it. Hang in there because the HH is a pretty impressive piece of technology. It will get to 60 faster than a Cayenne or the supercharged Land Rover and still get twice the mileage around town and cost way less.
  • tpatintpatin Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone experimented with a kill switch for the ICE on the HH? My HH seems to be able to power itself solely on the battery more than it does. I'm sure I could drive three-fourths of my daily commute on battery only but the ICE starts up before it needs to. Anyone have any experience or ideas? Please, no discussions re: warranty. This board's already been over that.

BTW: my vanity plates are ECO SUV, thanks to another posting on this site.

Finally, are there other discussion boards like this one? No offense, but I could use as much info as I can get.

Thanks
  • hhvahhva Member Posts: 37
    The JBL sound system works just fine in our Hh. A similair system in our '04 Tundra trade in sounded great too. As far as OEM stereos go, Toyota;s JBL systems seem as good or better than most other manurfactors.

After 3K miles, the worst MPG ("manually" calculated @ fiilups) for us has been 22. And I have really drained the traction batteries during some stints of "spirited" driving.

Also, I enjoy the thought that I can get to 60 mph faster than almost all other mid sized SUVs except a Porsche.
    I'm waiting for my "650 VOLT" plates to arrive.
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    HHVA,

I dreamed up the 650 VOLT last June, but eventually settled on CHARGED. The 650 VOLT does not leave any doubt as to whether it's a hybrid, though. I spoke with a Toyota exec a few months ago and he too agreed that more could have been done to "announce" the hybrid versions. ie special colors unique to hybrid, better badging, etc.

Enjoy!
    I think I read somewhere the Escape Hybrid has a 330 volt max output. Wonder what the max voltage for other hybrids is? Are we already in a voltage race? I'm pleased Lexus plans to offer a luxo hybrid sedan that runs like a V 8 and gets gas mileage like a Corolla. I wonder how similair that hybrid system is to th Hh?
    A Prisus owner in Roanoke, VA has '52 MPG' for a vanity plate. I first saw the '650 VOLT' in this forum and reserved it with VA DMV after I checked availabilty.
  • tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    According to Toyota's specs on the HH, the battery is 288 volts DC and the motors operate on AC, up to a maximum of 650 volts.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Has anyone experimented with a kill switch for the ICE on the HH? My HH seems to be able to power itself solely on the battery more than it does."

The computer controls the system so that the battery doesn't become too depleted; such a deep discharge cycle would probably cause premature battery failure. Of course, you would be messing up the emissions system as well. And how would you determine when you put the "kill" switch back on? Do you really want to be maniuplating a switch if you needed emergency ICE power?
    That safety concern is what I see as the primary downside to a kill switch, as well. I wonder, then, if the software could be adjusted--not by owners but by Toyota. Any ideas, anyone?
    I know it's the last thing we're thinking about at this time of year, but does anyone know how the heater works on the HH? Is the heater electric, like the AC? I wouldn't want to freeze while I'm buzzing around on the electric motors in a snowstorm.
    The engine creates the heat. Just like in the Prius.
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    I know from turning off the engine on the 4R that heaters cool off quick. As the AC is electric maybe winter mpgs will be worse than summer in the HH?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would think that the engine would run more when it is real cold outside, to keep that Catalytic convertor at the optimum temperature. Do they have a circulating heater that is plugged in at night to keep the engine warm?
  • nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    Well, after having more than a dozen HH in Laurel, MD they now have none. And the other stores are taking advantage of the current gas frenzy by halving their previous $2,000 off MSRP.

Of course, business is all about the profit motive, so who can blame them. But...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I know from turning off the engine on the 4R that heaters cool off quick. As the AC is electric maybe winter mpgs will be worse than summer in the HH?"

The Prius gets worse MPG in the winter, I don't see whay the HH would be different.
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    There is a service bulliten about failing batteries at the Lexus dealers. Aside from the fact that some faulty 12v batteries were shipped, Lexus dealers are told to reset the cars computer after a battery failure. Failure to do so can result in poor mpg, and other engine symptoms. I imagine it is the same for the HH. Jackson, check with your dealer and make sure they took care of this issue.
    nimhrod,no surprise there.I always said that the HH was going to end up reaching breakeven -relative to any other midsized comparably SUV's-in a reasonable number of miles.Looks like early buyers are not looking so bad paying MSRP and a little more.The bad publicity from NYT and west coast papers is long forgotten,but $3.50/gal is fresh in everyones minds.
    The HH is about 4- mpg better than the average midsized on the hy(about 28 mpg pure hy)-vs 21-26 mpg from the best-Honda,Toyota High) -,and about 8 mpg better city(say 19-23 mpg in heavy city-VS 12-15).The breakeven is under 100,000 miles now at $3.50/gal.
    My Pilot gave 24.1 mpg-best ever-over 965 miles from DFW-Flagstaff AZ.The HH would have beaten it by at least 4 mpg,and it will beat it here in Flagstaff by 8 mpg.We started from just outside-3 miles west near airport-New Orleans-Sunday.I missed the mpg on 1st 500 miles,but in that stop and go the HH would have shined-
    Maybe Toyota will be able to ramp up production of the HH-Gas prices will be high all winter-heating oil demand-and proiduction oif gasoline,diesel,natural gas will be waaay down in the Gulf for a while.Once the Camry Hybrid,Nissans midsized car etc- come out,the demand for other hybrids-Prius-might decrease a bit.Well,we will see.Thanks.Charlie
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    I don't think carmax ever changed their tune- the kenosha store always had $1000 off. it was the laurel store that was discounting $2000. I also don't think anyone who paid msrp got a bad deal. unless you live near MD, what are you going to do? buy a plane ticket, gas, food, hotel, and take 2 days out of your life to save $2k?

Dealers who have HH and other hybrids should take this window of opportunity and try and unload their inventory. gas prices are already easing back and I suspect within a month gas will go down to "pre-katrina" levels. the media will move onto somehting else and all the "pain at the pump" will be a distant memory as people start looking into buying the next generation tahoes and escalades.

also, i've been following a few HH auctions on ebay. one just went this weekend for $1500 off msrp. there have been a few other no reserve auctions where the starting bid was $2k off where there were NO bids. ebay isn't the pulse of hybid sales, but I think its an indicator. i think we're seeing a temporary spike in hybrid interest, but as gas prices come down, so will the interest.
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    I highly doubt that the price of gas will ever return to the same level as they were pre-Katrina, and almost certainly not within the next month.

First, the oil companies know that all they have to do is come "close enough" to get off the news, and there's no way they'd forego the extra profit of charging just a bit more.

Second, and somewhat less cynically, there has been real damage to our total refining capacity as well as offshore crude production and it will take time to make that up, either via repair of damaged facilities or construction of new ones. Neither of those will happen in the next month and possibly much longer. Katrina has created some real long-term issues.

So while it's probably the case that current prices will go down sometime not too far down the road, I think expecting them to go down to pre-Katrina levels is highly unlikely for the foreseeable future.
    I am on the fence between a Pilot and the HH. The HH does not have everything I want in it for 40k. But, I spoke to a salesman at Carmax in Laurel last week. I told him I was looking for a Super White in 4WD w/navi and that I did not see any on his website. He said I will not see a lot of inventory on high demand vehicles; e.g. HH or Avalon Ltd. They are asking for a $500 deposit toward the vehicle of the customer's choice (color/options). They then get it from the arriving shipment from the port before distribution and when it arrives, the person drives and has the option to walk away (w/deposit) or buy. But they are the only dealer I have seen that is giving anything off of MSRP.
    aec1,the Pilot is very,very good.It was a great evacuation vehicle-holds lots of stuff and gave very good hy mpg-24.1 over 965 miles with the ac blasting.This was pure hy driving,but 365 of the miles weren't interstate,they were TX panhandle miles on HY287-a city every 25 or so miles.
    The only real downside is the 12-15 mpg in heavy summer city driving.We live in the New Orleans metro area,so our city driving is heavy city-probably 10 stops per mile(I have counted).
    The 2006 Pilot has side side curtain airbags now,so safety wise the HH has no advantage.The 2003-2005 had only side airbags.
    The HH should beat the Pilot by 2-6 mpg hy-it has less frontal area.,and the cvt type trans might give it an efficiency advantage.The weights are about the same-4400 lbs.The 2006 also is available as FWD(18-24),before they were all AWD-17-22 MPG.
    If you need the extra room,and the city mpg penalty isn't too big a drawback,it is a very good vehicle.Charlie
    aec1,the Pilot does have significantly more room behind the 2nd row.This extra room(roughly 45" front to back vs 39"front to back and about 7-8" more width) was the reason we got the chose the Pilot over the regular Highlander in 2003.We have 2 greyhounds and they travel with us behind the 2 nd row.They were really cramped in the Highlander,but fit just fine in the Pilot.This reason evaporated in 2004 since our 19 yo son no longer would travel with us-the 2nd row was his and his cousin of a buddy that would travel with him.Now the mutts have everything behind the 1st row,so the Highlander-in any iteration-would be fine.
    You give up a good 7 mpg city with the Pilot-maybe 3-4 hy vs the HH.You do get a fair amount more interior room.Luck.Charlie
    The latest Consumer Reports has an article about the EPA mpg ratings on new cars. It validated what us folks who regularly calculate our mpg already know; the city estimates are generally way off. The CBS Early Show did a segment and showed how CR gets its more realistic estimates. The segment featured a guy with a Honda Element who was consistently getting 14 mpg in city driving. He was not happy because the EPA city was 21. I think this is the reason we will be seeing many more hybrids. This afternoon on NPR, it was reported that GM was looking to use hybrid technology they are developing to get some of their SUVs up to 20 mpg.
  • newthhownernewthhowner Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any data or advice regarding the use of synthetic oils in the HH? A friend told me today to start using mobil 1 after the break in and it would provide better gas mileage. Everything I have read regarding syn vs conv says that as long as I change the oil per manufacturer, I shouldn't need syn until many miles have been put on the vehicle.
  • 1aardvark1aardvark Member Posts: 4
    I would also like to know if Mobil1 is right for the HH. I've used it in my conventional cars for years. I went to Mobil's websight and tried to see what they recommend, but they said they have a "gap in their data" and don't recommend anything. I would have thought they would be ready when the HH hit the street in June?
  • hongchohongcho Member Posts: 28
    One thing I wished they did was instead of just noting the mileage differences specifying the difference in percentage so that the comparisons would be more meaningful.

Hong.
    aec1-the Pilot is always dinged because of road-tire noise.Honda apologists will say it is because the engine is so quiet and the wind noise is so low.I don't know,but it doesn't seem that way(maybe road-tire noise is more annoying than motor noise despite being low decible wise).The Pilot-our 2003-does give significant road noise on some surfaces-like concrete interstates-at 60-70+ mph the noise is kinda annoying.Now,it isn't terrible,like say our 2001 Prizm(corolla rebadged),but my Titan(the cheapest trim level 2wd KC XE) is a lot quieter than the Pilot despite being a $6000 cheaper full sized pickup.
    Make sure you take it on an interstate and see if the noise annoys you.It really isn't bad-you can talk and listen to the radio just fine-but it is there.It does sorta drop away on long trips-you just don't notice it anymore.I have seen claims that the road noise is-will be corrected on the 2005-2006.I would bet dollars to donuts that the HH has very low levels of road tire noise.Consumer Reports always mentions the road noise on all the Honda's-Odyssey,Pilot-and usually compliments Toyota-Camry-Sienna on lower levels of perceived levels of road noise.
    Make sure you check this on the test drive.I don't know why Honda has this minor imperfection(relative to Toyota..
    If you don't need the room-pay the extra ~$5000 and go HH.A crude guess is 18 vs 24 mpg-so you will save ~333 gallons and $1000($3/gal) every 24,000 miles-Breakeven($3/gal) will be 120,000 miles before tax break etc.With the tax credit more like 70,000 miles.
    You actually have an "easy" choice.The cost of owning will be all but identical at $3/gal $5000 initial price difference.Buy the one that is best for your purposes.
    PS Never put stuff in a roof basket if you are a mpg nut.Our roofbasket-Yakima Loadwarrier-filled to a 18" height-cost 6 mpg hy-16 vs 22.4 mpg.The drag of the "stuff" must have been greater than 1(The Pilot probably has a .34 drag coe.).
    I have run on.They are both very,very good.Check that noise on the 2006.Luck.Charlie
    I hope the EPA revises their formula soon. They've been using the same, woefully inaccurate method for decades. CR found that a Durango got only 8 mpg in the city cycle. My '04 Tundra 4wd never got 18 mpg highway, no matter how slow and careful I drove. Car & Driver, in their 400 mile tests, generally shows higher mpg than CR but lower than the EPA. My money is on CR. Our last tank in the Hh averaged over 26 mpg (mostly highway) on the computer and in a manual calculation.
    I really appreciate the posts here in helping me weigh the HH and Pilot. I will test drive both as soon as I have an opportunity to do so. Gas prices have made it so that the HH are very rare on dealers' lots. While Carmax was (and presumably still is) willing to drop 2k off of MSRP, they have no inventory on the web. I will have to call to see if they have anything to drive. I heard a radio spot yesterday in which the announcer stated that if you want a HH, you have to order it. Coleman Toyota had one in inventory and their internet price was $1,000 over MSRP. I don't care how bad I might like it, I will not pay over MSRP. I am a capitalist and think everyone should turn a profit. However, I follow the general rule, "don't be a pig". So we will see if I can find one to test drive and if I am to get anything off of MSRP, it will have to be at Carmax (apparently).
    Your position is indisputable. If you decide to take the HH, there is no point paying MSRP or over MSRP when Carmax is willing to take $2K off.

Carson Toyota in southern CA also offers the same at $2K off and they seem to have landed a large selection. They may be willing to ship one off the lot to your location for a fee.

We are finally getting 27.98 and 28.1 mpg the last 2 tanks after 3000 miles. Gas was $3.19/gal in our area and we saved about $12 per tank when compared against our relatively thirsty '99 Sienna.

Good "hunting".
  • upstateny5upstateny5 Member Posts: 62
    My Basic Model HH arrived 9/1/05 presumably at a port of entry in NJ and there is no indication when it will be loaded for transport. My dealer said they have 21 cars waiting for delivery and since I live in a rural area cars for different dealers are transported together.
  • olympicstarolympicstar Member Posts: 3
    I also refuse to pay over MSRP. A couple of dealers in the North NJ area are selling the limited 2k over MSRP nowdays. I might have to go for the Pilot myself...
    According to CR, the Front WD Honda Odyssey averaged a dismal 12 mpg on their city cycle. I can't see an AWD Pilot beating that. And while Honda's ESC is ok, it can't touch the VDIM found only on some Lexus models and the Highlander Hybrid. Our last tankful was 27.1 on Hh computer and 26.4 manual calculation @ fillup.
    I am quite impressed with the mileage you folks are getting. If I had a need for an SUV, this vehicle would be on the top of my list. Toyota really is amazing with this technology. I used to have a 1990 Integra that got 30mpg (I thought that was good). The car probably weighed 2600 or 2700 pounds. Now we have a HH that weighs at least 1300 pounds more, tons more room, tons more sophistication and safety features and gets close to 30mpg!! Now THAT is amazing. Good luck with your cars!! I can't wait to get mine.