Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• banditobbanditob Member Posts: 16
    Well, I took the plunge and got one of the new Highlander Hybrid Limited's last night. So far, everything's living up to expectations and I'm very impressed with the vehicle. It will take some time to get used to its way of "thinking," but I'm really looking forward to that.

I do have one minor question, though. I searched in the Owner's Manual but couldn't find an explanation for the Tire Pressure Monitoring System display layout. It shows a single column of tire pressures, but which reading is which tire or wheel location?

Here's to many miles and fewer gallons! ;)
  • drlonline1drlonline1 Member Posts: 10
    I too just picked up my HH Limited last weekend. Also very pleased so far. Regarding tire pressures, according to the IGuide (www.toyotaiguide.com), there is no way to know which tire is giving a particular pressure reading. They go on to say one must check each tire if one of the pressure readings is low in order to determine the problem tire. Seems odd, since an idiot light would provide about the same functionality.

Here's a question I had. I've transferred my bluetooth enabled phone contact list into the cars phone book. However, the car's phone book doesn't seem to be able to dial numbers that contain pauses, such as is used for accessing voice mail. Does anyone know how to handle this?
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    To both of you guys.
    Did you pay at, above or below MSRP.
    I find Carmax is giving about $1500
    off MSRP. Fitzmall is just $500 off.

Trying to find out if there is any
    possibility of a Limited with Navi
    for around 40K. Might have go for
    a non-hybrid otherwise.
    I paid full MSRP, but that was the result of my ordering it early and having the dealer agree I would get one of the first ones, since my lease had expired on my prior car. My total was ~$44K, with Navi, sunroof and a few other smaller options. Expensive, but so far I'm satisfied.
    Mine was $300.00 below MSRP due to Costco's Auto Program. Other than that, it's MSRP all the way everywhere that I've visited.

I'm really quite surprised that Carmax or Fitzmall is giving anything off at all. Are you sure they're talking about the Highlander Hybrid? Even if the markdowns are accurate, they're unlikely to have any to actually sell like that for quite some time, so it may be a moot issue.
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    I just purchased a 2008 HH basic. I was able to negotiate about $500 off the sticker price. This is in the wilds of North Dakota. The dealer last year got quite a few Prius and at least a couple of HH's that they had to send to other dealerships. I believe this gave them some incentive to try to sell locally.
    drl,

I think that the iGuide (thanks for the link, BTW) is referring to pre-2008 Highlanders as they have just a dash indicator light from what I recall.

On ours, if we had to, we could simply remove one wheel at a time to determine which row on the tire pressure list belonged to which wheel location. I can't believe that they didn't physically arrange the pressure readings on the screen to correspond with the wheel locations on the vehicle. At the very least, they could've added an 'LF' (Left Front), 'RR' (Right Rear), etc., label to each of them. Wanna bet that it'll change in a future software update??

I'm new to the in-car Bluetooth phone system and find it quite interesting to use. The call quality is really good, but with a vehicle this quiet, I guess that should be expected. At any rate, is it stripping out or ignoring the pause characters (usually a ','-comma) from your numbers? If so, I'm not sure what you can do about that.

Otherwise, have you tried entering the commas when speaking the numbers? Such as, "five, five, five, one, two, comma, comma, three, four..."? That, or maybe the actual word, 'pause'. Let us know how it goes. Also, does Toyota have a 1-800 number for Customer Assistance? That might be the fastest way to get an answer.

I have to run by my dealership tonight and they have a Bluetooth expert--Isaac--there. I'll see if he has any answers.

I'm still loving the vehicle, but of the sections that I've read in the Owner's Manual, I'm quite disappointed. And, yes, I usually read the manual cover-to-cover. It's not particularly well written and has very little detail. It took me forever to figure out how to reprogram the door lock operations when shifting into and out of Park. The manual really only gives you a hint of what to do and seems to be missing some required steps. Perhaps the documentation department didn't get all of the latest code updates from the software design/development group. I ended up just trying various combinations of things until I decoded what actually worked. However, that's a very minor annoyance and I think that I'll survive it somehow!
  • jkjjkj Member Posts: 6
    I recently ordered an 08 Highlander Hybrid from the Carmax store in Laurel MD. They expect it to be here toward the end of December. Of note, they shared with me an invoice for a comparably equipped car (only difference is color). A couple of things to note:

The Edmunds invoice is $510 less than the invoice price provided by Carmax. The difference is due to a $500 item labeled as "TDA" (anyone know what that is?) and a $10 charge for gasoline. So, when you are negotiating up from invoice, you need to know the actual dealer's invoice. Carmax is "no haggle", but for other dealers I'm not sure how much one can negotiate the TDA. So, even when they sell the car to you at their "invoice" they are making $1708 minus whatever it costs them to prep the car and get it ready for sell.

The invoice also separately lists "Dealer Holdback" of $799 and "Wholesale Financial Reserve of $399 (anyone know what that is?), but these two charges are already included in the base vehicle invoice price listed on Edmunds.

Carmax now has at least on Hybrid on the lot and read to sell (I drove it last Saturday) and they are offering about a $1500 discount off the MSRP that is close to $38,000.
  • skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    TDA is the Toyota Dealer Advertising Fee. Toyota usually doesn't budge on this but I find it obnoxious.
    Holdback is profit to the dealer from Toyota. The dealer pays this to the factory when they get the car and gets it back when they sell it.
    Wholesale financial reserve is basically the interest the dealer paid to finance their purchase of the car to sell. As with TDA, you're paying their expenses.
    It's quite a racket and that's why the car sales business is so profitable. Not for the people who work at the dealerships but for the people who own them and for the car companies themselves. Except for GM, of course ;)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Every business has these same expenses. They just don't break them out separately.
    Furniture stores
    Clothing stores
    steel wholesalers
    Auto parts stores
    etc, etc.

There is no difference. All the vehicle makers have the same expenses.
    Okay, for those of you that are interested, here's the scoop on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System on the Highlander.

There is only one receiver on the vehicle that picks up the pressure readings from the sensors in each tire. Thus, the vehicle has no idea which location the signal is coming from.

Even if the sensors in the tires were individually serialized and their locations entered into the computer, as soon as you rotated the tires, all positions would then be incorrect. You could possibly have the techs rescan and re-enter the information into the vehicle's computer after a rotation, but if you didn't go to a Toyota shop for the work, again, the system would be out of whack.

I think that they should still have had a unique identifier built into the sensor that could be displayed on the Tire Pressure Monitoring screen. Then they could mount a corresponding identifier (a sticker or a stamping) somewhere toward the insde of the wheel, where it would still be visible from the outside if you knew where to look for it. That way you wouldn't have to check all of the tires to find the low one. You'd just have to look for the right sticker.

So close, and yet so far! :mad:

Also, I tried to find out more about the Bluetooth phone system and adding pauses to a dialing sequence, but Isaac the expert had already gone home for the day when I got to the dealership last night.

I did, however, think about it a bit and here's what I came up with. Even if you could add the pauses so that you could get into your voicemail, for example, how would you 'press 9 to delete the message' after listening to it in order to go on to the next one? Will the system still respond to voice commands while you're on a call? I kind of doubt it, but will give it a try when I get a chance.

Happy hybriding! ;)
  • p38lightp38light Member Posts: 4
    I had my HiHy deliverd from a dealer 200 mile saway last night. I have only driven it to work this morning so I haven't had time to fully check it out. Love it already! :)
    Let me explain it to you another way, spyder. If one were to purchase a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited with options SR, QR, EJ, QC, PN, FE for its msrp of $43,495 the profit on that sale will be ~ $6,682. That is a healthy profit margin of ~ 18%. This is before selling you dealer add ons, an extended warranty, and financing. Do you think maybe they could get by without making you pay their advertising fee? I fully realize the demand for this vehicle drives the price as that's what the market will bear, but I still think the TDA, for example, is overkill. Just one guy's opinion.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " think that they should still have had a unique identifier built into the sensor that could be displayed on the Tire Pressure Monitoring screen. "

I think it would be more efficient to use a very low wattage transmitter for each tire, and locate a receiver in or near each wheel well. That way the closest receiver would record the nearest tire, and the display would tell the owner which tire was low.
    p38light, congrats. Please share your "price paid and buying experience" details if you haven't already. Thanks.
    I am aware of the pricing structures. I also know that 18% is not unusual in a lot of businesses. I sold steel to wholesalers at a 2% margin and to end users at a 25% margin with invoice values ranging from $100,000 to $2,000,000.

All I am saying is that these costs you noted are normal expenses that every business encounters. I had them in the steel business, same exact costs the magnitude was just different.
  • kitsaphhkitsaphh Member Posts: 4
    Got my HH back yesterday, it does appear they disconnected the battery as some of the computer settings were off, but the running boards are on with no problem.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    I know the '08s are just now hitting the showroom and the dealers are basically not discounting the price, but for anyone out there, what have you been getting for gas mileage both highway and city in the new design? The sticker says it's rated at 27 city and 25 hwy. Has anyone been close to this rating? I will be doing mostly highway driving and am trying to validate whether a hybrid would be worthwhile since the regular gas model is rated at 23 on the hwy. My guess one would be do better with the Hybrid with combined city/hwy driving.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks.
  • jan123jan123 Member Posts: 5
    We have put about 500 miles on our HH so far. According to the on-board computer, the average mileage is about 24.5 mpg. The last tank is at 25.8 mpg, mostly city driving. We have it on "Econ" most of the time and use the EV mode wherever possible. The freeway mileage seems to be between 24-25 mpg when driving between 70-75 mph.
    Thanks jan123....I'm seriously consider getting rid of my '08 Acadia since although it's a nice vehicle and I almost have 2K miles on it, I can't seem to do better that 16-17 with mostly HIGHWAY driving averaging 60-70 MPH. I've spent $400 in gas since 10/23 alone and I'm pace to spend $500-$550 per month to gas this thing (unfortunately I drive 35 each way to work). Even if I do 7 mpg better based on your gas mileage experience, I'm sure the savings will add up rather quickly, even though, if I'm not mistaken, the HH has to take premium gas.
  • jan123jan123 Member Posts: 5
    HH takes regular gas.
  • kitsaphhkitsaphh Member Posts: 4
    I have kept the ECON mode on and on my second tank and mixed driving I am close to 25 mpg. The computer says over 25.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    hotch41, have you considered getting a small commuter car, and saving your Acadia for times when you need the extra room?
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    "hotch41, have you considered getting a small commuter car, and saving your Acadia for times when you need the extra room? "

That probably isn't a cost effective solution. First, you have to pay insurance on two rather than one vehicle. That alone would offset the improved mileage for most people. But if you happen to pay really cheap insurance, you still have to add in the cost of the second vehicle. Even if you only spent $5,000, that is a lot of gallons of gas. Buy anything cheaper and be faced with repair costs. Plus, you are not driving the vehicle you want. You are settling. And you now have two vehicles to try and fit in your garage (or have one sitting out on the street in the weather, etc.) Now your very nice primary car sits and depreciates without you even getting to enjoy it because you are commuting in some beat up little commuter car.

As nice as it sounds, in my opinion, buying a 'commuter vehicle' just doesn't make sense for most people, finacially or otherwise. I looked into doing this a few years ago and it would have cost me extra money per month. Your situation may vary.
    I've now had my HH for just over a week, and am still going on the first tank of gas. So far, my average is almost 27 MPG combined city and highway. I too use the Econ mode almost exclusively.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    "That probably isn't a cost effective solution. First, you have to pay insurance on two rather than one vehicle. That alone would offset the improved mileage for most people. But if you happen to pay really cheap insurance, you still have to add in the cost of the second vehicle. Even if you only spent $5,000, that is a lot of gallons of gas. Buy anything cheaper and be faced with repair costs. Plus, you are not driving the vehicle you want. You are settling. And you now have two vehicles to try and fit in your garage (or have one sitting out on the street in the weather, etc.) Now your very nice primary car sits and depreciates without you even getting to enjoy it because you are commuting in some beat up little commuter car.

As nice as it sounds, in my opinion, buying a 'commuter vehicle' just doesn't make sense for most people, finacially or otherwise. I looked into doing this a few years ago and it would have cost me extra money per month. Your situation may vary."

I agree that it's probably not cost effective, but it's also an expensive proposition depreciation-wise to trade in a vehicle that's nearly brand new, just to save some gas. My reply was based on hotch41's desire to spend less on gasoline, and if that's his main objective he could buy a (used) small economy car for his 70+ mile round trip commute and come out way ahead in terms of his weekly gas bill.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Thanks jan123....I'm seriously consider getting rid of my '08 Acadia since although it's a nice vehicle and I almost have 2K miles on it, I can't seem to do better that 16-17 with mostly HIGHWAY driving averaging 60-70 MPH. I've spent $400 in gas since 10/23 alone and I'm pace to spend $500-$550 per month to gas this thing (unfortunately I drive 35 each way to work). Even if I do 7 mpg better based on your gas mileage experience, I'm sure the savings will add up rather quickly, even though, if I'm not mistaken, the HH has to take premium gas.

I'm still amazed that people would think it's a good proposition to dump a brand new vehicle and take a huge trade in hit, just to save a few bucks on gasoline.

Didn't you budget for gas costs when you bought the large Acadia?

Lets say that you trade in the Acadia and take a $3000 hit on it for getting rid of it so quickly (in all likelihood it has already depreciated MORE than $3,000).

That would be 1,000 gallons of gasoline at current prices.

1,000 gallons of gasoline in your Acadia would let you drive it for between 15,000-17,000 or more miles which is over a year's fuel for the average consumer.

The smarter move for you is to be more prudent with your trip planning, doing things such as combining all of your errands into a single trip, which can often be done mid-commute. Is your Acadia Flex Fuel capable? That could also save a little bit of pain at the pump.

At the end of the say I'm still amazed people buy $35,000 gas guzzling trucks and then have a shock that it costs $300 a month to fill them up.
  • jeniveve76jeniveve76 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I have been doing research this past year and have finally decided on the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. What I'm running into is 4 different dealers saying "these vehicles only come with 1 of 2 packages, the PO (Popular Package) or PP (Popular Package Plus)" which adds an extra $2000-$3000+ depending on which dealer you talk to. My husband and I only want a standard without packages or options as we are satisfied with what comes standard and don't need/want all the extra fancy stuff. The dealers' reason is: "the vehicles we get depend on the region and in the Gulf States region, this is how they come". Another problem I'm running into is these dealers are telling me "what Toyota says is standard, may not be standard, depending on the region". This all sounds fishy to me and is frustrating. Anybody have a similar experience? I'm also looking out of state for comparison (we currently live in Central TX). :confuse:
    These are new vehicles,out only for a couple of weeks. Whenever there is a new launch of any new vehicle they normally come loaded up. What they are telling you is correct in nearly every part of the country. The new HH all have at least one package or another. This will be true for at least the initial period. How long this initial period lasts depends on how the market receives the vehicles. If they're being snapped up faster than they hit the ground then that means that most of the buying public wants one or more packages.

At some point demand will slow down, in the case of the Prius it was 3+ years after initial launch. At that time when demand slows you'll likely be able to buy off the lot or at least order one without a package.

One other limiting factor all the dealers face is that all of these are being made in Japan until the new plant in Tupelo is completed. So whatever comes across on the next boat is what the dealers have to take....and the buyers too. This goes back to the demand question. If most buyers are asking for more rather than less then that's what the plants will build and ship.
  • stanwagonstanwagon Member Posts: 15
    >>>The new HH all have at least one package or another.

I ordered one in August (Denver dealer), I really didn't want the third seat or any other package, and I wanted a certain color. My dealer tells me that the one I want is indeed coming in in a week or so...
    jmpage2...Actually what amazes me is that I didn't expect after much research on a vehicle (and believe me, I did a ton of it knowing I'd be spending this kind of $) with 3-row seating, that I'd be getting the city MPG estimate with my primarily highway driving. I guess you could say I fell for all the hoopla that the critics raved about how the Acadia stood out for the estimated gas mileage on the highway. Mind you, I know I wouldn't get 22 MPG according to the sticker, but I didn't expect to get the city mileage (16 MPG ALL THE TIME) and spend the money I'm spending. After all, you only could crunch so many numbers before making a purchase decision.

But you make me think more carefully about any drastic moves as my Acadia cost me quite a bit more than the $35K you indicated. It seems like I would never recoup the additional money outlay to get into the HH or even the conventional HL to get the gas mileage I thought I'd be getting.

In addition, although I did drive the HL prior to my purchase of the Acadia, the HL is much more agile than the Acadia. I bought the Acadia only for the amount of space it allows. I don't even drive my kids around on a daily basis and I should have purchased a vehicle based on something I'd enjoy driving during a long commute. The Acadia is a nice vehicle, just not too exciting. I know sacrifices need to be made, but either HL is more enjoyable to drive over the Acadia. I drove the HL again last night.

Anyway, thanks to all for your opinions and insight. It's been very helpful.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I read a lot of the consumer reviews on Edmund's and 16 MPG seems about average. I tried renting one for a vacation trip. They tried sticking me with a Pacifica at the last minute and I ended up driving my PU truck. I cannot imagine taking the hit selling a vehicle after only a few months. Unless some Toyota dealer feels sorry for you and wants bragging rights taking an Acadia in trade. Just put it on Craigslist and maybe you will get a buyer, so you don't lose $5k to $8k on the trade.
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    Carsdirect is already offering 2500 off MSRP for a Limited with
    Navi in Bay area. I think prices will become reasonable by next year. I am
    in no hurry. Will wait till spring.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    I do wonder why is the limited $6K more than the base Hybrid? I do see some bigger wheels, spoiler, DRL, leather, power seats but that's about it.

$40K+ for a non-luxury midsize SUV means it competes with MDX and others. Sure it's a hybrid but that's about it. Still no sunroof or other base 'luxury' stuff. Toyota certainly knows how to make money of hybrids...

So I could imagine you could get a discount on a non-luxury $40K midsize hybrid SUV. Although I doubt you could get such discount easily at this time...
  • jeniveve76jeniveve76 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the information, it is helpful. The more dealers I've been talking to, I'm hearing similar info. I bought my own car used and it is domestic so I'm learning the ropes of buying new and foreign. :)
    GM just announced the pricing of their new hybrids... $50 - $55K MSRP. Woweee

No! No matter what you tell me the auto makers are NOT discussing the pricing in some offshore island. I don't believe it.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    You CAN get them with more specified options, but Toyota in general sends our cars with certain packages on them most of the time ... they will tell you it's b/c they are the most commonly sold, but it is a money-making proposition (duh, I know). If you special order one, you should be able to pick out the EXACT options you want on it ... otherwise you'll have to just go with the flow.
  • fmroczkafmroczka Member Posts: 5
    Can a 2006 HH be programed like the 2008HH, to stay longer in battery mode? I read that the 2008 will have the same engine set up as the 2006 HH, but it will stay longer in battery mode. Does anyone know the answerto this question ? Frank
  • tomheiertomheier Member Posts: 1
    I need documentation on the CO2 emission rate of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2007 model. Where do I go?
  • doug28doug28 Member Posts: 30
    Greetings Toyota owners.

I purchased my HH about April of '06 and it currently has 26,000 mile on it.

I will not bore you with the 10 page dicertaion of what all happened to my car but you are welcome to ask questions as you comment on this thread.

To put it in short form.

HH starts shaking. Owner has it towed to Toyota dealer. Dealer calls and says "Bad gas, not covered under warranty, $285.00" Owner says please fix it. Dealer runs & idles it for 2 days calls and says engine blown, steel parts fly out from under it. Calls in special tech for HH. 8 days later leaves message that cause was hydro lock not covered by warranty.

This looks bad for us. I must guess five to seven thousand for new engine.

On top of this they performed the 30,000 mile service prior to purgeing the gas.

Confused. :sick:
  • clatterclatter Member Posts: 1
    YES!!!! In fact I just came in from our dead Highlander to search online to see if other people were having this problem! We have had this happen repeatedly, have taken the car in to the dealer countless times, and after a lot of head-scratching they told us we had to drive it frequently, which seems counterintuitive to buying a hybrid to lessen one's impact. They've even replaced the battery once, thinking maybe it was defective, but it hasn't helped. If we can't drive it frequently, they told us we had to disconnect the negative battery terminal or put a battery charger on it. :surprise:

What's really weird is that sometimes the battery is completely dead, like now. But there have been other times that it started right up, drove a substantial distance (120 miles), then wouldn't start again after it had been off an hour.

We use our Highlander infrequently because our main car is a Prius and we only use the Highlander when we need to pull a trailer when our band tours. We've already been stranded at a club in the middle of the night with a trailer full of expensive gear because the car didn't want to start (after having driven 40 miles with no problem).

This is very frustrating, especially now that it's completely dead and we have a trip Friday. We had to bring our tractor over to start it, but of course it turned itself off then died completely before we had a chance to put the tractor away. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed? It does seem like a pretty big design flaw.

EDIT: Found this confirmation on the Toyota FAQ page…what a drag!
    In addition to the storage tips for our conventionally-powered vehicles, our hybrids require additional steps for each battery, as the hybrid vehicle battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline.

To prevent excessive auxiliary battery drainage, charge the battery at least once every two weeks by driving the vehicle for 15 - 20 minutes with all non-essential electrical accessories (such as air conditioning and audio equipment) turned off. As an alternative, you may disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery.

For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes*. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but do not start the hybrid system in an enclosed area unless the tail pipe is connected to an exhaust hose to prevent harmful build up of fumes.

*If the battery was disconnected, it will have to be reconnected before the hybrid system is started.
  • dorenescardorenescar Member Posts: 28
    I visited a dealership to see the 2008 HH. I love the interior, and the drive was much nicer than previous HH model. What was dissapointing was exterior cosmetics; the small amount of color options and the different grill - we like the gas H grill much better, but can't get that in the HH without paying for it to be changed. We have an 07 Lexus 400h, and want to get the HH for seating capacity and regular gas option as our second vehicle; Lexus is much more willing to give options to Hybrid buyers. All in all, the HH is a very good competitor to the Lexus 400 H, but the price is actually lower right now for 400H with all the options Lexus offers vs Limited 400H, since it is selling way over invoice. We got our 400 H for $400. over invoice; we'll wait until Toyota starts to come down in price, or incentives are offered. We currently get 26.5 combined city/highway; it sounds like the bigger Highlander Hybrid is getting the same mileage, which is great for HH owners.
    Just to let everyone know.

Cost of hybrid engine

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$12,000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am done with hybrids.

Any one want to by a hybrid with a blown engine.

You fix it and save about $12,000 on what I owe.

doug
  • ktmcgktmcg Member Posts: 6
    Well said. Same experience with us. My husband definitely does the mpg thing better than I do but I figure it is better than the non-hybrid version. We believe in supporting the technology, as we have both the hybrid Highlander and a Honda Civic hybrid.

Also no problem leaving the Highlander battery (or the Honda for that matter) for ten days while in Ireland.
    We love both our hybrids and they work for us as a family of five.
    :)
    Hope to never have the blown engine problem and I have never heard of that on here before, and while I feel sorry for the owners but suspect that it is an isolated incident. I think it would be worth writing to Toyota and the dealership outlining the scenario- there is nothing else to lose. :(
    ahem...there is no 'hybrid engine' per se.

You have a 60,000 mi warranty on the gas engine and transaxel. Unless there are other issues with how the vehicle was being used ( towing a 12000# trailer? ) how is it that you don't have a valid warranty claim?

There's too much missing here to reach a conclusion. I certainly wouldn't give up on this.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My understanding..

Apparently mice got into the engine compartment, chewed through the wire insulation on low side of the injector circuit, the bare wire shorted, dumping massive amounts of fuel into the cylinder resulting in hydro-lock....

Piston rod ejected through the engine block.
    Very good, that is apparently the final analysis.

doug
    I do not have issue with the finding.

Mine is with the cause of subsequent damage.

If I did this on a lonely stretch of road they would hold me responsible for operating this expensive state of the art machine after violent shaking begins.

Why am I responsible when the dealership causes the subsequent damage???

doug
    I have contacted several experts on this matter.

1) Bad gas should be easy to rectify and eliminate.
    a) purge all fuel possible from system.
    b) change filters
    c) add known good fuel
    d) idle car till fuel behind injectors is replaced with know good fuel from tank (approximate idle time up to 5 minutes). (I see this step being a challenge for a toyota hybrid idle is to charge hybrid battery)
    e) scratch head and look for something else causing violent shaking of engine.

2). This whole scenario has a problem to it. The engine was shaking violently. Why run it at all. I chose not to. These guys are the pros. Get tech in from out of Town to figure it out or admit not qualified and recommend qualified facility. I do it every day in my work.

Doug
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I would assume that what happened is that someone left the ignition on for a period of time without immediately starting the engine. Then when a start was attempted the cylinder was already filled with gasoline, or at least enough to bend or break the piston connecting rod.

Hard, for me, to find fault with anyone but the mouse.