Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• doug28doug28 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks,

That could be I appreciate your input on the matter.

I recall the tech. calling me and telling me that it was sitting their idling and smoked. In fact the salesman of my second car from this dealership said he was watching it when it blew.

????
    doug
    Don't know if I mentioned it.

Before they were able to figure out the violent shaking (bad gas, chewed wire or blown engine) dealer went ahead and performed 30,000 mile service and rotated tires.

I mention this because some have asked me if oil levels etc. were at proper levels.

doug
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Might I suggest that you look throughly over the EFI wiring to be sure there are bare wires in the "proper" circuits and that the bare wires are able to ground the circuit and they actually show signs of mice...

On the other hand if you are aware that you have mice living in your garage.....
    Thanks again.

I think my insurance company is photographing & documenting wiring and we will sure look for the vermin.

doug
  • lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    how did you blow your hybrid engine?
    I did not blow it.

It started shaking like it had a cylinder misfire or loose wire. (It actually felt like the transmission was shimmering). I immediately shut it down (when I went from reverse to park and it kept shaking I knew it probably wasn't transmission). Called tow truck, had it towed to dealer at which I purchased it. They called me and told me it was bad gas. They idled and drove it for parts of 2 days and then called me and said it blew up.

Turned out to be an injector wire shorting out due to a vermin chewing on the wire and not bad gas.

As I feared you should not keep running a fine machine like this one if it is shaking violently.

doug
  • lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    so how did toyota get you back on the road & what year highlander hybrid? what kind of rodent could successfully eat through those wires? want to check my garage...yikes!!!
    My mistake.

Just received paper work from insurance company.

I am not to get new engine but apparently new short block and wiring harness.

Cost

$11,989.48

doug
    Apparently there is something within electrical wiring insulation that is a mouse appetizer.

Back in my days in TV repair it was not unusual to find mouse destruction.

More recently often inside computer CRT monitors.

When we lived up in the woods we had to mouse proof the 78 911 and the Ford Aerostar as a result of finding nests(***) and nibbled wiring or in the case of the Aerostar they seemed to prefer the small hard plastic vacuum lines.

***Have you ever tried to decide what to do with a mouse nest filled with tiny hairless squirming baby mice.....

With your 4 year old grandaughter watching....??
  • wagut3wagut3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there know when Exxon is projecting that it's new thin-film battery packs will be commercially viable and therefore will be included in the Highlander Hybrid specifically?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Ugly story but true unfortunately...

A woman came in to our service department complaining of a smell and noises in the HVAC unit on her Sequoia. Well it had rodents nesting in it. However it happened I have no idea but in trying to get them out one tech somehow emulsified said rodent and sprayed the interior of the vehicle with... well you can get the picture.

Can you imagine that the lady didn't want her vehicle back even after we replaced all the seating and all the panels and cleaned the ducts inside and out. I don't know I just can't figure out what the issue was. :surprise:

I got involved when we offered to sell her a new vehicle at a greatly discounted price but she wanted a preowned one exactly like her other one. She bit my head off, tore out my heart and stomped on it in declining our new vehicle offer.
    Nothing, NOTHING, smells worse than the combination of dead mouse and a strong deodorant applied to mask same....

Emulsified...???

Do really mean to imply exactly what that word implies...??

Yuk, DOUBLE YUK...!!!
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    "So, you'd like to be paying 24/7 for power coming out of the wall plug vs the minor cost level extra fuel burned in the very few minutes/miles it take to warm the engine coolant to the same level as the block heater."

A)You can use a timer to limit your electric use; and B)The extra fuel used is actually more expensive (both in $ and environmentally) than the electricity.

"Don't most block heaters only keep the engine coolant above ~40F...??"

When it is -30F, that is significant. However, I don't believe it is simple as that. The block heater is just a resistance heater that is either on (plugged in) or off, depending on the car/truck they are designed to fit , they have different watt ratings. I am fairly sure they also have a thermal overload protection feature. That means that if it is a large engine with a small block heater and it is really cold (say -40F), the engine will only be warmed slightly. If the block heater is larger, or the engine smaller, the engine will be warmer.

(I live in North Dakota and spent 7 1/2 years in Alaska, including 3 years in Barrow. Our car there had a block heater, oil pan heater, transmission oil pan heater, battery blanket and trickle charger for the battery.)
  • jan123jan123 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody have an idea where to get snow chains for 2008 HH Limited (tire size 245/55-R19)? I tried Toyota, Costco, Kragen, a couple of internet sites, nobody seems to be carrying them.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    "It took me forever to figure out how to reprogram the door lock operations when shifting into and out of Park. The manual really only gives you a hint of what to do and seems to be missing some required steps."

I followed the steps in the owner's manual, but it didn't make any change. Would you give detailed instructions on how you did it?

I agree that the manual (for all of its length) is very poor in some areas. The grammer errors do not help.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Does anybody have an idea where to get snow chains for 2008 HH Limited (tire size 245/55-R19)? I tried Toyota, Costco, Kragen, a couple of internet sites, nobody seems to be carrying them. "

Does your owner's manual say chains can be used? They would probably say "cable" not chains.

I ask because I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle. I have the SEL trim, and own a set of cables, but the Limited trim has 18" wheels, and the owner's manual specifically says that you cannot put chains (or cables!) on the Limited at all.

I have always wondered what the Freestyle Limited folks are doing if they live in the snow belt! :surprise:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I would think chains on the back wheels of an HH or RXH would be asking for trouble. You are not even supposed to go through mud with that rear electric drive.
  • bennbbennb Member Posts: 143
    The 400h currently doesn't have as many options as the HH ... specifically EV or econ button/mode ... included MP3/Aux connection. I just can't get over the Highlander's boring looks.
    "I would think chains on the back wheels of an HH or RXH would be asking for trouble."

The owner's manual (2008 HH) specifically limits use of chains to the front wheels.

"You are not even supposed to go through mud with that rear electric drive."

Why do you think that. The HH manual says "not intended for off road use." This does not mean that the electric rear motor cannot handle mud. It just will overheat and shut down if called on to provide power to the rear wheels for too long a time.
    "Does your owner's manual say chains can be used? They would probably say "cable" not chains."

Nope, it says chains. It even provides an illustration and specific dimensions of the links that are acceptable.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It just will overheat and shut down if called on to provide power to the rear wheels for too long a time.

That is exactly what I was alluding to. The Hybrid SUVs are not designed to use off road.
    "Nope, it says chains. It even provides an illustration and specific dimensions of the links that are acceptable."

Cool, thanks for looking it up for me.
    Due to tight, EXTREMELY tight, clearance between the rear suspension and the inside sidewall of the tire neither standard link chains nor cable chains can be used on the rear of any RX, HL, nor Sienna.

And please keep in mind that both Toyota and Lexus indicate in their respective owners manuals that tire chains on the front ONLY can potentially be quite hazardous.

I added 1.6" wheel spacers and upgraded to 17X8 wheels all around on my '01 AWD RX300 so rear tire chains can be used.....FIRST, and then the fronts added when and if the need arises.

But be aware that even with the spacers the clearance from the tire tread surface to the spring remains fairly tight so rear chains must be especially snug when used.
    "Emulsified...???

Do really mean to imply exactly what that word implies...??

Yuk, DOUBLE YUK...!!!"

No more reading Edmunds Forums over lunchtime!
  • larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    08 Hi Hy. I need an 'always on' 12v source inside the fuse box under the hood. I see a plastic square with a big "+" on the top in the front right fuse box corner but am afraid to break it pulling on it.
    All help appreciated. Larry
  • smoss1smoss1 Member Posts: 8
    We are looking at the HH. What are the EV and ECON modes for? Thanks
  • p38lightp38light Member Posts: 4
    EV mode directs the car to use electric motors only. You can go less than a mile or two and no faster than 20-25 mph in EV mode. ECON mode restricts acceleration to remain within the most economical limits. The car accelerates slowly unless you push the accelerator hard enough to overcome the ECON mode, than it accelerates normally.
  • stanwagonstanwagon Member Posts: 15
    I just got my 2008 Highlander Hybrid. I am at 10000 feet in Summit County, Colo., and so far it has been quite good in some very deep snow.

It refuses to go into EV mode even in parking lots, and I think that is because it has been very cold out. I use ECON essentially all the time and I am getting 24 mpg up here, but it has been very cold and that affects mileage.

So far I have been pleased. I know it will not handle the very rough roads as well as my Ford Explorer (with low-range) did, but I will be interested to try when the time comes.

Thank goodness it does not beep in reverse, like the Prius.

The B mode is MUCH stronger than the Prius. It slows the car very strongly, and it also jolts the charging needle so that it seems certain to me that B mode causes more recharging than not using B mode. The various postings on this matter re. the Prius all said that NO, it does not charge more, it is just used for slowing the car to make up for the lack of a downshift. But it seems clear that it is charging more on the HH.
  • larryp3larryp3 Member Posts: 20
    The guide says this is a dealer option. Does anyone have it working? Mine requires the inside unlock switch on driver's door to be pressed to unlock passenger doors. The remote has already been set to one click unlock, which works from the remote, but this seems to be a different setting to allow the key-less handle to unlock all doors.
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Mice want the warmth of the engine compartment. If you suspect mice are using it place some mothballs where they would hole up.
  • smoss1smoss1 Member Posts: 8
    having my windshield fog up this morning reminded me I wanted to ask about the HH. How efficient is the defroster in clearing the windshield both in and out? I got to wondering how it well works when the car is starting on battery power. Also, how is the heater in warming the car when first starting up in the am?
  • batterytoybatterytoy Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 HH was doing exactly what yours is. It required me to use the inside door unlock switch to unlock all doors if the control was in my pocket. Today, I got a call from the dealer service manager, who was researching the problem. Here's the fix:
    1. Have remote outside car. Car not running.
    2. Hold down remote's lock function.
    3. While holding, press unlock for 5 seconds. Interior lights will come on and a beep will sound.
    Release all buttons. Voila! All doors open with driver's door handle.
    To reverse(toggle) this function at any time, repeat steps 1 thru 3.
    The owner's manual attempts to explain this on page 49 and 50, but I find that explanation and the chart on page 50 confusing.
  • emarcotteemarcotte Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a Prius and absolutely love it. But next month we are moving to Colorado and I'm going to need something with AWD. I'm considering the Highlander Hybrid and am wondering how it does in snow. We'll be living at 9000' where I'll be driving in snow alot but will also be 45 minutes from the closet grocery store and want the good gas mileage and low pollution of a hybrid. I'd like to know how the Highlander would fair.
    " We'll be living at 9000' where I'll be driving in snow alot but will also be 45 minutes from the closet grocery store and want the good gas mileage and low pollution of a hybrid."

In those conditions I personally would buy a Subaru. They don't get super mileage, but their 4WD systems are excellent. I think you would get as good MPG in the winter as you would with the HH, which is to say mid-20's. The HH does not compare with the Prius in MPG, so you are going to see a large drop in MPG no matter what you do.

You might also ask questions in the Ford Escape forum; I think the Escape AWD uses mechanical rather than electric propulsion. However, the Escape will also post similar numbers to the HH.
    We have a Prius and love it. We had a Ford Explorer (150000 mi, 1994) and decided to sell it and get the 2008 HH. We live at 9600 feet in Silverthorne, Colorado. So I asked the same questions you are asking not very long ago. I never got definitive answers, but it seemed worth a try to me, so we did it.

So far, in the snow (very deep snow this year, and we have steep driveway) it has been very good. Of course, there is no low-range, so I do not know how it will do on my various trips to certain gnarly trailheads. It has a HUGE amount of power though so I am cautiously optimistic. Twice I had to tow the Prius up into my driveway during a snow storm in past two weeks and it did so with no problem.

My feeling is that in these rough conditions it will be as good as a Subaru, and I have seen Subarus in very rough terrain. It probably won't be as good as the Explorer on some of the rough SE Utah roads we visit. But so far we are happy.

Mileage. Today: Filled up. Then drove to Leadville, skied, returned. MPG was 28 for the round trip. Should be better in summer. For shorter trips, and colder days, more like 25 MPG. I keep the ECON button on all the time.

I did look at the Escape. Much cheaper. Maybe as good in many situations. But the HH is more of a luxury vehicle, for better or worse. Some features I am addicted to -- like SMART KEY of course! Rear view camera is cute.

If you want to discuss this in more detail feel free to send me a private message:

wagon@macalester.edu (stanwagon.com)

PS to group: I finally figured out what the little white rectangles on the electric guage are for: "Keep the needle there for most efficient driving" says the manual (in pidgin English of course).
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    My 2004 Prius and my son's 2006 Hybrid Highlander both have an onscreen override to allow GPS navigation by a passenger while the car is in motion.
    My wife's 2007 HH does not accept the same override codes.
    Does anyone know of a code that will work?
  • fmroczkafmroczka Member Posts: 5
    Can you please tell me the how to override that Navigation while in motion? Thank You Frank
  • emarcotteemarcotte Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying. I read a comment somewhere that the reverse is always electric so you have to be really careful when backing up and needing extra power in snow. Is there a way to over-ride the electric when extra power is needed? I've also read that you can't fit cables on ( although I think good snow tires would be adequate). I'm pretty sure I've decided on the Highlander but just can't decide whether to put out the extra money for the hybrid. We have a boat that would be nice to be able to tow but 28 mpg sounds wonderful. Since you were a bit undecided too, is it safe to say you are happy with your decision to purchase the HH?
    Thanks
  • gabelgabel Member Posts: 3
    I also would like to find out how to override the Nav. while moving. Thanks!

I tried SnowClaw rather than cable on my 08 HH. Not much luck.
    I found AutoSocks which are made by the Swedish for their winter but no size for our tires (245/55/19). Yet, they are making the "Socks" for Toyota in Japan.

Thanks.
  • gabelgabel Member Posts: 3
    I also would like to find out how to override the Nav. while moving. Thanks!

I tried SnowClaw rather than cable on my 08 HH. Not much luck.
    I found AutoSocks which are made by the Swedish for their winter but no size for our tires (245/55/19). Yet, they are making the "Socks" for Toyota in Japan.

Thanks.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    On my 2004 Prius and my 2006 HH to override the lockout:
    Touch the upper left corner of the screen, then the lower left, the the upper left again,
    then the lower left again.
    On the next screen touch and hold the OVERRIDE box until you hear a beep.
    You can now enter destinations and most other NAV commands.

Does anyone know how to do this on a 2007 HH?
    ". . . the reverse is always electric so you have to be really careful when backing up and needing extra power in snow. . ."

Nothing in the owner's manual indicates that reverse is all electric. Obviously, the rear wheels are always electric. I have found that in deep snow (or coming up against a packed snowbank or ridge) the VDIM/traction control system will cut power. The cure for this is to simply take your foot completly off the gas pedal and then give it gentle pressure.

The combination of the gas and electric drive has very good low speed torque. I have not found conditions (although I am sure they exist) to get my 08 HH stuck this winter. This is in northern North Dakota. We have had good amounts of snow this year. In the mountains, I would look into snow tires.
    ". . . I did look at the Escape. Much cheaper. Maybe as good in many situations. But the HH is more of a luxury vehicle, for better or worse. . ."

The HH is larger than the Escape, but the base model HH is hardly a luxury vehicle.

The big factor for me is that the Escape does not have stability control. On icy roads an SUV without stability control is just an accident waiting to happen.
    Re the preceding two messages: The Toyota salesman had a long list of Toyota-prepared comparisons of the HH with the Escape. I later learned from the Ford dealer that some of these comparisons were incorrect, or unfair. But the list was VERY VERY Long, to the HH advantage in all cases. Such a list did have an affect on this buyer. I noticed the high torque at low rpms for example (commented above) and the various safety systems. Anyway, still very happy with it in Colorado's very snowy winter.

As for luxury, despite the salesman's promises, we ended up with one with a package and features that we did not want: e.g., larger wheels, rear view camera, and a few other things that seem luxurious to me. Anyway, a technical question: What are the consequences of larger wheels (19 vs 17): Obviously it gives one inch extra clearance, which could be good sometime. But it adds weight and drag surely. Does it have a measurable affect on MPG? Might the larger wheels really be better in some conditions (snow, rough roads)?

PS: I complained a lot to the dealer about the extra stuff that I did not want or order and managed to get a few 100 dollars back as a goodwill gesture.
    ". . . What are the consequences of larger wheels (19 vs 17): Obviously it gives one inch extra clearance, which could be good sometime. . ."

The larger wheels do not give extra clearance. The only advantage is that the lower profile tires (45 series on the 19" vs. the 55 series on the 17") will give "better" handling. They will also wear out sooner and provide a harsher ride (due to the shorter sidewalls). The wheels (also due to the shorter sidewalls of the tires) are more likely to be damaged by road hazards (potholes, debris, etc.). The main purpose is that some people think they look good.

Re-think the review camera. I have found that because of the tint on the rear windows I cannot not see anything out the rear windows when backing up at night. The camera gives a great view, at least of the close area. It is great for parking, I can bring the rear bumper up to about 3" from the bumper of the car behind me without touching it, and still see a gap using the camera.
    ". . . What are the consequences of larger wheels (19 vs 17): Obviously it gives one inch extra clearance, which could be good sometime. . ."

The larger wheels do not give extra clearance. The only advantage is that the lower profile tires (45 series on the 19" vs. the 55 series on the 17") will give "better" handling, but not in snow or on ice. They will also wear out sooner and provide a harsher ride (due to the shorter sidewalls). The wheels (also due to the shorter sidewalls of the tires) are more likely to be damaged by road hazards (potholes, debris, etc.). The main purpose is that some people think they look good.

Re-think the rearview camera. I have found that because of the tint on the rear windows I cannot not see anything out the rear windows when backing up at night. The camera gives a great view, at least of the close area. It is great for parking, I can bring the rear bumper up to about 3" from the bumper of the car behind me without touching it, and still see a gap using the camera.
  • srandytsrandyt Member Posts: 35

It is possible the "one inch clearance" is referring to the inner wheel, not the tire diameter. This would give more cooling airflow to the rear motors.

I agree about the camera. I sure wish I had one on my Tacoma so I wouldn't have to get in and out so many times when I hook up my trailer.
    We are having very above average snow year here in the Colo mts and so far the HH is behaving well. Not quite as good as the 1994 Explorer with its low range, but it has been fine in very heavy snow. The real test will come this summer on some of the rough roads to trailheads... the power is there, and the clearance is probably the equal of the Ford, but will the lack of gearing keep me away from places I am used to getting to? We'll see,
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    We are in Northern British Columbia with plenty of snow and very cold temps. Do you have any experience or idea yet how much of a mileage hit you are seeing in sub-zero temps? We usually reckon on about 25-30% drop in mileage for our ICE vehicles during the 3 heavy months Dec-Feb. Is the HIHY comparable or worse?
    FWIW we will be using the new vehicle almost exclusively in short to medium haul city driving.
    I have only had the vehicle in the winter, but I have experience with the Prius for 3+ years now. In summer, Prius gets 50 mph no problem. In winter it gets 40, except when I am working in St Paul, Minnesota, and driving just 2.5 miles to work each way. Then the mileage takes a big hit because of the short hops. 32-35 mpg is typical for Dec. in St Paul (unless we go somewhere on a longer trip). I imagine the HH willl be the same, percentage wise. Right now I am getting 24, but I try to use it only on snowy days. I believe it will get 30 in the summer.