Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    dear lizcnyc,

If you want to read the distance (in decimal), you can use the trip odometer A or B. Just press the bottom to change to trip A or B then press and hold for few second to reset.

I hope that will help you.
  • bean88bean88 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 06 HH and I had this problem once...it occurred after I passed the 5k service reminder and the service light stayed on. It took me at least 15 minutes to fill the tank because of it. I immediately took it in for service and told the dealer about it...they couldn't find a problem but the problem disappeared after my service light was reset. I have a sneaky feeling that Toyota has programmed the valve (you know...the one that closes automatically in the event of a rollover) inside the tank to close once the service light goes on to entice people to get their vehicle serviced. That's my theory but I haven't tested it again by exceeding the 5K service since.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    The 2009 Highlander ICE model is getting an I4 2.7L base engine. Has anyone heard rumors that they will offer this on the hybrid?

I personally own an FEH, but I've always thought that it would be much better to put an I4 in the HH.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It would be nice but I think that the new Venza will get a hybrid 4c before the heavier Highlander does. I believe that with the size and weight of the new model that only the 2.7L would have enough power. Thus far I haven't seen anything that indicates that the 2.7L ( 1AR ) will be linked to the current or NextGen HSD.

Supposition only ... the new 2.5L ( 2AR ) engine will debut next month in the RAV, then migrate to the Camry early in 2009. This will eventually replace the current 2.4L 2AZ across the entire lineup. It's this 2.5L that I think will be linked to the NextGen HSD in the Camry and Venza hybrids when they are actually introduced.
  • jldavisjldavis Member Posts: 8
    I have two questions. I have a 2008 HiHy Limited (LOVE it). It averages 22mpg, but was as high as about 31 for a couple of weeks there. I recently went to get gas, had the tank open, and then realized I was on the wrong side (brain freeze). I did not put the cap back on - I just moved to another pump and gassed up. My mpg plummete down to about 14 mpg. It's now up again around 17-19 or so. But what gives. I take it I blew it by leaving the gas tank open for that tiny little drive to the other pump?

Also, when should you use Econ mode vs. EV mode?

Thanks!
    Janine
  • stanwagonstanwagon Member Posts: 15
    I use Econ all the time (except 4WD -- re which I have to say I am very pleased. On some rough roads it has done very well -- just about as well as my old Ford Explorer with its low range).

As for EV: I get the sense it is for parking ramps and places where one wants to avoid exhaust and/or noise. It is not clear that EV mode is the most efficient, though it certainly seems like it at the time. But EV never lasts very long: a couple of 100 yards only in that once one passes 20 mph it quits.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    be sure to stop into the new Your Hybrid Vehicle Awards discussion to talk about why you think the Highlander hybrid is among the best of the year!
  • hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    I think it is the way computer calculates mpg. When you fill up the thank, set the multi-information display to show "Average fuel consumption after refueling". It will go down to single digit then after you drive for couple of miles, it will come back above 20mpg. Sometime, when you ideal your car for period of time when you park, that average fuel consumption will fall off. When you go up the hill it will go down to 13 ~ 16 mpg then when you hill down, it will go up again. It calculate up and down all the time. You should see "Average fuel consumption after refueling history", it will show you last five time average consumption.

I do not think that cause by leaving cap open and drive a few blocks. Just my 2 cents.
  • joe540cijoe540ci Member Posts: 17
  • zebart72zebart72 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a new vehicle. I like the 2009 HIghlander features, but the fuel efficiency isn't that impressive (at least for me).

I have been trying to find information on the upcoming 2010 Highlander hybrid. One blog claimed that it would have the 4-cylinder engine, but other blogs were saying the V6 would stay.

Does anyone have links to recent 2010 spec information and an expected release date?

Thanks.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The 2.7L I4 is now available in NA. However until further notice the HH is only linked with the 3.3L V6 as before.

While the EPA numbers for the HH are not sexy as other hybrids like the Prius and new Fusion hybrid they are very very significant!!! :surprise: Consider.

Moving from an ICE 4c Camry which averages 25 mpg ( EPA ) to the TCH which averages 34 mpg ( EPA ) saves our nation 11.6 gal per 1000 mi driven.

Moving from an ICE V6 Highlander 4WD which averages 19 mpg ( EPA ) to the HH which averages 26 mpg ( EPA ) saves our nation 14.1 gal per 1000 mi driven!!

For the national benefit, security and economy, it's much better to have drivers move out of their ICE-only Highlanders into HH's. This doesn't address value at all because value is something very subjective to discuss.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I am considering a new vehicle. I like the 2009 HIghlander features, but the fuel efficiency isn't that impressive (at least for me).

So what kind / brand of 4wd SUV are you comparing it to that does impress you? I find 25+ mpg pretty impressive for a large comfortable SUV with towing abilities. Don't know what else can really compete with it. Maybe I'm easier to impress. Maybe I'm comparing it to the 14.5 mpg my Expedition gets
    "So what kind / brand of 4wd SUV are you comparing it to that does impress you? I find 25+ mpg pretty impressive for a large comfortable SUV with towing abilities. Don't know what else can really compete with it. Maybe I'm easier to impress. Maybe I'm comparing it to the 14.5 mpg my Expedition gets"

Well, except for towing, the Ford Escape Hybrid is pretty good. I get about 30 in town and on the road, and the AWD is mechanical, not electric.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Well, except for towing, the Ford Escape Hybrid is pretty good. I get about 30 in town and on the road, and the AWD is mechanical, not electric.

I like the mechanical AWD in the Escape but I needed to tow 3500 lbs. Also the second row seating in the Escape is terrible in comparison to the HH.
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Just picked up a 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited ($26K at CarMax with 45K, like new condition). I got it for the 3rd row seat and to tow a boat. Can someone confirm that the towing package is standard in this vehicle - including the bigger alternator, radiator, a transmission cooler and is pre-wired for the lighting harness? Thanks in advance.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Because of the transaxle's propensity to overheat the ATF the non-hybrid HL (and RX) most likely comes standard with the towing package but I rather doubt the HH does.

Your dealer can tell you for certain.
  • newski3newski3 Member Posts: 42
    I purchased my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited new and I still own it. Also, I still have the "06 Highlander" sales brochure I received at the time of purchase. Under "Exterior Features" it show:
    ---quote---
    --Towing Prep Package - Includes trailer prewiring and transmission oil cooler.
    --Standard on: Highlander Hybrid AND Highlander Hybrid Limited. (Then it refers to note #5)
    Note #5: Towing Prep Package - Includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3000-lb. towing capacity, (my note: of course, the 06 Hybrid only had a V6 engine so 4-cyl remark does not apply.) engine oil cooler, power-steering oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add 3500-lb. towing capacity and 160-watt fan coupling.
    ---unquote---

Page 319 of Owner's Manual for all 2006 Highlanders:
    ---quote---
    Towing capacity:
    Without towing package: 2000 lb.
    With towing package: 3500 lb.
    (My note: not sure how you handle the "add 3500-lb towing capacity" from the "brochure"???

Final note: As you probably know, the actual towing bar and attachment were not supplied with the new car as standard equipment.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks newski. That was my understanding. I'm going to get a Reese hitch this weekend then boat shopping here I come!
    Has anyone added Sirius satellite radio to their first generation Highlander Hybrid with the navigation system? I don't see an aux input or a satellite button anywhere. I am looking for something that integrates into the nav unit and displays song/artist/channel information on the screen.
    Anyone know how to turn off the beep every time you touch a button on the touch screen? 2006 HiHy w/Nav.

Thanks!
  • poodlemom1955poodlemom1955 Member Posts: 10
    I made arrangements today to become the owner of a 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I will get it in a week. It is loaded. I travel mostly with my 3 dogs. 2 big poodles and a little. I am wondering if any of you know of a good dog gate type of thing to divide the cargo area from the passenger area so the dogs have a relatively safe place to ride. I do not travel with crates., They would take up TOO MUCH ROOM!!!

Thanks!
    Nancy
  • gowhittengowhitten Member Posts: 11
    Hi,

Probably - I think you can tell from the VIN number sequence. You should remember that the Highlander is basically a passenger car dressed up as an SUV and the HH is has much less capabilities because the AWDi (read - IDIOT) transmission has no real mechanical connection between the pistons and the wheels and will just turn off when slightly taxed.

I have a 2006 HH with towing package and a 3,200 boat/trailer and I would not tow it any further than the local boat ramp (6 miles). Beside the brakes on the H are only passenger car brakes and the OEM tire are really poor.

I do some times tow a smaller, lightweight fishing boat with some problems. It will hardly make it up long grades and gets stuck on steep boat ramps. On one ramp, after we put the boat in the water, I could not pull the empty trailer out of the water, so we we unhitched the trailer, pulled the car up, and then my buddy and I pulled the trailer up by hand!. We had to drive the boat 15 miles down to a flatter ramp so we could pull the boat out of the water. (My friend was so pissed that we lost over an hour of fishing time, so he now always drives his Explorer, which has no problems.)
    Thanks for the info. I just had the steering rack recall service done on my HH and had the hitch installed at the same time. They checked while it was on the lift and I do not have the transmission cooler. As best I can can tell from talking to the dealer, browsing the web and reviewing the owners manual - the '06 HH has a tow limit of 3500 lbs stock from Toyota (without additional tow package) as compared to the 2000 lbs limit of the stock 6cyl. I guess this is due to more power and/or larger alternator from the hybrid system? Does the ICE version of the hybrid have a CVT or a regular automatic trans?

Anyway, I bought the HH is to tow, so tow I am going to do. I will be towing a pontoon boat/trailer with a wet weight of about 3,000 lbs. I plan on leaving the boat on the trailer at the marina so will only be towing to/from home (about 10 miles one-way) a few times a year. Hopefully it will be able to pull the boat out of the water without too much trouble.
  • lynnkushnirlynnkushnir Member Posts: 15
    Target has two pet gates that can be purcahsed on line that work really well. The pet tubular and the vehicle soft pet barrier. (But earplugs you have to puchase separate....)
    "..no real mechanical connection..."

Yes, and that's what allows it to be a quite unique FULL-TIME F/awd system. Both front and rear drives can be "on" full time since there is no issue of drive line windup.

Only 75HP at the rear is the "real" limitation.
  • ssachnoffssachnoff Member Posts: 33
    My 2006 HH has these "skirts" that extend from the front bumper to the driver's wheel well that are coming apart and I'm afraid they'll shred my new Michelin Latitudes. I've secured them with twist-ties but I know that won't last long-especially in Chicago's winter. Anyone else had this problem/have any suggestions besides bring it to the dealer? :confuse:
  • pupvolunteerpupvolunteer Member Posts: 8
    The info from Toyota indicates the fuel tank holds 17.2 gallons.
    I drove 377 miles and the consumption display indicated I had 12 miles left. The fuel light was on.
    Mpg since refuel on the small display said 25.2.
    All I could coax into the tank was 15.2 gallons of gas.
    Does the tank really hold 17.2 gallons? If so, does that mean I had two gallons left, and could have driven 50 miles, instead of 12?
    When the fuel light comes on, how much is in 'reserve'?
    Thank You
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    "Does the tank really hold 17.2 gallons? If so, does that mean I had two gallons left, and could have driven 50 miles, instead of 12?
    When the fuel light comes on, how much is in 'reserve'?"

I believe the answers are: 1.approximately 17.2 gallons. 2. Approximately.
    3. Probably not for the following reasons: a.the mpg reading is not very accurate (it can be off, in my experience, by up to 2 mpg); b. Not all of the 2 gal. is available, e.g. if you are on a slope the gas may not reach the pickup for the fuel pump. 4. My experience is that there is 2.5 to 3 gal. in reserve when the light comes on. :confuse:
  • poodlemom1955poodlemom1955 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone every used a hatchbag in the back of your highlander? I'm considering one for my 2010 Highlander Hybrid. I have 3 dogs and it looks like it might protect the surfaces.
  • tompkinstomtompkinstom Member Posts: 3
    I would also like to be able to turn off this annoying beep every time you touch the nav screen. Will be watching with you sockpuppet
    2006 Highlander Hybrid with nav. On starting nav screen shows message "check system" and does not allow any functions. This has happened twice, both times resolves with re-start. Can't find any mention of this error message in the owner's manual. Any ideas on where the problem might be?
    I've never had this problem with my '06 nav system nor have I heard of it, so take my input with a grain of salt. If I think of the nav indication system as a desktop computer, the first thing I'd suspect would be either the disc drive or the disc. I'd take your disc out of the drive (found under the driver's seat and can be accessed from the rear of the seat). and visually look at it for scratches, etc.. If nothing obvious, I'd clean the disc using standard disc cleaning techniques. If that didn't fix things, I'd consider using a "cleaning disc" on the drive itself in case the optics are dirty. The only other two options I can think of is to "back up" your disc and try that disc, or if all else fails, see if replacing the disc drive is an option that is within a reasonable cost. Otherwise, you might be at the mercy of the dealer and his extravagant pricing.
  • nchh09nchh09 Member Posts: 2
    2009 Highlander Hybrid, base model. Bought the 2-part LED fog lamps from a place in San Fran. Now they are installed beautifully in my bumper, but nobody can figure out how to connect them. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the response. I'm not convinced the "check system" error message is referring to the navigation system just because it appears on the nav screen. It is entirely nonspecific. I will try your suggestion and let you know...
    I doubt very much if the hybrid or any other system would notify you of a system problem through the Nav system as the Nav system can be turned off and not in use for an indefinite time. For example, I turn mine off while driving in my local area since I don't need it for any information it can offer. Seems to me that if a system other than the Nav system needs checking, it should be transmitted via the dash notification lights (My opinion, not necessarily fact). I failed to mention that backing up your Nav dvd is not something you can do just by sticking it into your computer's dvd drive and selecting "copy disc." If you want to back it up, search the internet to find the ways and means. Just thought of another option. If you still have the original '06 disc and want to upgrade your map, then doing so might help you trouble shoot this problem (but it will cost you $200+).
    "Only 75HP at the rear is the "real" limitation. "

The AWD is electric only, and when the motors get hot - no more AWD. This is not true of a mechanical AWD system.
    "...get hot - no more AWD...not true of a mechanical AWD..."

WRONG.

Almost all modern day mechanical implementations of F/awd, most certainly those that are "pre-emptive(***)", have some method of detecting drive train overstressing resulting from a sustained, sustaining requirement for rear drive engagement.

Even my '01 F/awd RX300 has an ATF overheat sensor and warning indicator.

The current Ford Escape and Escape hybrid have a temperature sensor/warning indicator in the rear clutch drive engagement system as does the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system.

Since there is no easy way to detect impending wheelspin/slip the engineers have chosen to go the "predictive" route to help alleviate the horrid safety record of FWD systems. The first step, converting to purely reactive (VC, TC.) F/awd systems having now failed to improve the safety factor enough.

So, when would you "predict" that the probability of front torque biased F/awd systems would be most likely to develop wheelspin/slip.

1) Accelerating, low speed acceleration...?

Yes. Some modern day F/awd vehicles (Cadillac SRX, etc.) actually derate the engine via DBW if the driver asks for HARD acceleration in a lower gear range.

2) Turning, turning tightly, resulting in centrifical forces on the front exceeding the tires' traction coefficent.

3) Accelerating into a turn, TIGHT turn.

So these new pre-emptive F/awd systems MUST ignore the long standing edict AGAINST engagement of both front and rear drives on a tractive surface.

So, either something has to "give"(***), or YOU have to pull over and stop and wait for these drive line components to cool back down.

*** In Ford's case the PTO/PTU, for the MDX, the transaxle.
    My point was/is that with the independent front and rear drive motors the drive train component HEATING resulting from drive line windup and/or tire scrubbing will not be a factor in drive train failures.
  • g35shopperg35shopper Member Posts: 5
    I am considering the Highlander Hybrid however I live in an area that gets a lot of snow. Does anyone have experiences with the HH to share? Is it less effective than the standard Highlander AWD?
    edited November 2010
    The "standard" HL F/awd system, THREE fully open differentials, is really a ONE-WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM. It is "awd" ONLY when/if all four wheels/tires have roughly equal traction or if REACTIVELY made "awd" via use of the TC, Traction Control, system, braking of the slipping front wheels with simultaneous dethrottling, FULL dethrottling, of the engine.

Most vehicles, inclusive of the HL, have a TC "OFF" function switch so full use of the ONE-WHEEL drive system can be made if one is "STUCK".

Toyota now has a more adequate F/awd system. Introduced on the Venza and now propagated to the Sienna and RX350 I had fully expected it to have been made available on the 2011 HL but for some unknown reason it is not.

So, with INDEPENDENT front and rear DRIVE capability the HH very definitely has the POTENTIAL for having a rather STELLAR F/awd system in comparison to the HH or even the new F/awd system in the Venza, Sienna, and RX350.

But....BIG BUT..!!

SAFETY comes first...

Loss of traction on the front wheels of a vehicle must be, IS, considered a very serious matter and therefore must be corrected, addressed, URGENTLY. So while at first glance the most appropriate action once front wheelspin/s/lip is detected would be to switch, apportion, more drive torque to the rear while lessening the drive torque to the front, the matter of safety intervenes.

It is of the utmost importance, OVER-RIDING importance, that traction be quickly returned, regained, at/on the front wheels, otherwise the potential for an injury accident resulting from subsequent loss of directional control is simply TOO great.

So almost all F/awd reactive systems, if not ALL F/awd systems, inclusive of PRE-EMPTIVE F/awd systems, will INSTANTLY, FIRST, dethrottle the engine while simultaneously braking the (front, presumptive) slipping/spinning wheels.

So, would the HH have a fully functional F/awd system..??

Probably NOT, for safeties sake.

Have a look at a few of the R/awd systems, or even a RWD/4WD system if you truly need "awd" wintertime on-road driving capability.
    Driven "cautiously", good wintertime driving experience and therefore knowing when to "feather" the throttle, start off easily and slowly, I have very little doubt that the HH will/would easily OUT-PERFORM the F/awd HL in the conditions you describe.
    We have a 2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD. I live in NC and haven't driven it a lot in snow or ice since moving here. I do work in a hospital however and had to drive to and from work in very bad winter weather conditions this year for about a week. I also live on a gravel road and we have a lot of very steep hills in our neighborhood. Our truck made it through initially snowy then later very icy roads without any difficulty or drama. The sides of the road were littered with 2wd vehicles and even some 4 wheel drive trucks.
  • mainesail55mainesail55 Member Posts: 8
    Just a heads up if you are thinking of a color other than black, white, silver or gray. It's a long story but apparently, Toyota restricts dealers in certain regions from ordering colors such as Shoreline Blue or Crimson Mica and since Toyota also doesn't allow dealers to trade across regions, if you want one of these colors, you'll need to have the dealer special order them.
    In our case, we had to find these things out the hard way and wound up backing out of a deal because we didn't feel the dealer's salesman was being up front about why it initially appeared that we couldn't get the Shoreline Blue that we wanted.
  • mainesail55mainesail55 Member Posts: 8
    I should have mentioned that Edmunds was invaluable in helping me through this whole process. First for finding that the color that we wanted was indeed available and then in getting quotes from other dealers. I now know that the first step in buying our next vehicle will be getting quotes from dealers through Edmunds.
  • nomezdnomezd Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.

Just purchased a 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited with 40K at a Toyota dealer. It is a certified pre-owned which comes with the comprehensive 12month/12000 warranty.

I was highly encouraged by the finance salesman to purchase the additional Extra Care (platinum) comprehensive package which extends my comprehensive warranty until 100,000 miles. I ultimately did purchase the additional protection for $1200.00 but now am having second thoughts. Since I have 30 days to cancel, I wanted to get some additional information before I make any decisions.

Question is: with Toyota's reliability, is there any true value in purchasing the additional protection on a certified pre-owned. Your experiences and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Toyota's reliability? You had better check previous postings regarding invertor problems. I would keep the extended warranty, especially for a complicated vehicle like a hybrid.
  • gudlifegudlife Member Posts: 1
    You got a pretty good deal for zero deductible 100k miles platinum. Keep it.
    edited June 2011
    ""...get hot - no more AWD...not true of a mechanical AWD..."

WRONG.

Almost all modern day mechanical implementations of F/awd, most certainly those that are "pre-emptive(***)", have some method of detecting drive train overstressing resulting from a sustained, sustaining requirement for rear drive engagement.

Even my '01 F/awd RX300 has an ATF overheat sensor and warning indicator. "

I suppose I should have said that it won't overheat as quickly as putting an electric motor on the rear wheels. But I don't find any such temperature warnings in my 2008 FEH owner's manual. And note that the hybrid transmission is different from a normal transmission. I should think that if there were an "ATF overheat indicator" in the FEH, it would have been in the manual.

Of course, I actually own an AWD hybrid, rather than attempt to run around various forums and spout information.
    edited June 2011
    I do not consider the AWD hybrid to have a mechanical implementation of F/awd. No real issue of driveline windup, therefore it was excluded from my statement. Sorry if that wasn't as clear as it might, should, have been.
  • austinsaustins Member Posts: 9
    One major repair on this vehicle would set you back more than twice what you paid for the warranty if you come out of pocket. You got a great deal and should stick with it. One question, how many years do you get with that 100k mile limit?