Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Whhoooossh! Thanks for clearing that up. BTW - still can't find that enzo.

Another car magazine (that shall go nameless) compared the Volvo S4 to the Audi A4 (both with all wheel drive). The audi came on top for the overall fact that the suspension was more in tuned with the driver vs. the volvo (at least the way I interpreted the article). Now, there was a lot of praise for the way the volvo handled itself; its just that the testers felt the audi did it a notch better on a back to back comparison. Gee I wonder if the audi's shod with 235 tires vs. volvo's 205 tires had anything to do with it? I perused the article a few times to see if I missed that little tid bit, but it seemed that I hadn't. Judging from the pictures, it was my first reaction to check the tire size specs on both (if I remember correctly, the audi was just slightly smaller in profile).
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    Our M3 handled and felt exactly as you describe.

Got 32,000 miles out of OEM tires

Replaced the 205/50-17 OEM RSA's with 225/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Car handles and steers superbly now.

Probably would have gotten nearly the same handling with 50 series.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    We have a similar arrangement - wife with the automatic Tribute, me with the MT 3.

When we were in the finance office at the dealership, the finance guy said to me, "So, you don't want the wife driving the car, huh?!"
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    My wife's Protege5 has 55,000 miles on it and we've owned it since January 2002 ... and I've driven it twice (unless you count backing it up on the driveway to wash it).

Turnabout is fair play, however ... I've had cars with manual transmissions since we MET in 1993 ... and she's never driven any of them!

Meade
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have about 16K miles on my Mazda3 - the last few weeks have been very hot - and my AC has actually WORKED PRETTY WELL. At first I thought it was just all in my head - but a few times I actually turned the fan speed down from 3 to 2 (3 actually cools better than 4). My wife also noticed - she ask me if I had done something to FIX IT.

I recall reading a post from someone who claimed that after a year their AC started working better - I though they must have just gotten use to the weak system.

Not sure why - or how - an AC system can actually get better over time - but I really think mine has. I would still not say that my AC is great - it still takes too long to cool off the car - but it is a BIG improvement over where it was at the start of the summer.

I also found a new TSB on grinding brakes (6/17/2005) so things are looking up.

If Mazda would just come out with a fix for the harsh 1-2 shift I could have all of my issues solved - before it is time to trade cars!
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    When there is a life and death problem, Mazda MUST solve it!! There is a difference.
    z71bill, looks like you will be a happy camper soon. There is a fix for the harsh shifting. I have it. It's a software update. It smoothes it out big time. Almost 100% (depends how picky you are. ;) Unfortunately, not all dealers around town have it. The update is that new. I had mine done on Sep 23.

I dont have 16,000 KM on mine. But here is some interesting info. My girlfriend is in Taiwan right now. Her brother has a 2005 Mazda3, bought in November 2004. I specifically asked her to check out the A/C. The temp over there is around 33C or 90F. The A/C apparently works just fine at speed 1. At speed 2, the fan is too loud . :surprise: Also, the compressor doesnt shut off and on as frequent as ours does. There is CONSTANT airflow unlike with ours
    I called my dealer last week - no TSB on the harsh shifting tranny yet -

I will need an oil change in about a month and hope that they have an update by then.

I have noticed that my radiator cooling fan seems to run more that it did before. This fan also pulls air through the AC condenser - so it can impact the AC performance.

It is a little strange - after I shut off the engine & get out of the car - the fan is still running - for 10 seconds - or so. Last summer it did this a few times - but now it does this all the time. Not sure why the change - or if it even has anything to do with my AC improvement - but it sure is nice to have a car that actually blows some cool air. I just hope it lasts.
  • ikeedumikeedum Member Posts: 10
    I finally think I figured this out, though it's been a while since I posted my original question. I was wondering what sort of buzzing would keep clicking on and off every 30 seconds. My first thought, and one someone immediately brought up was : does it do it when you have the A/C on? Seeing as it was Feb/March time, the answer was no - it does it even without it, which confused me.

It seemed intermittent, and I hadn't thought about it for a while, but I think what's now happening is that if you have the fan position in either of the window defrost settings, it automatically will turn the compressor on for you intermittently - but NOT light up the AC button. Can anyone else confirm this to be the case?
  • pepperfritzpepperfritz Member Posts: 9
    I don't know from experience but the owners manual does state on page 6-8 the following----"In the (symbol for the two defrost positions), air conditioning is automatically turned on to defrost the windshield quickly (however, the indicator light does not illuminate) and the (symbol for outside air intake) position is automatically selected. The air intake selector switch cannot be changed to the recirculate position."
    It is a little strange - after I shut off the engine & get out of the car - the fan is still running - for 10 seconds - or so. Last summer it did this a few times - but now it does this all the time. Not sure why the change - or if it even has anything to do with my AC improvement - but it sure is nice to have a car that actually blows some cool air. I just hope it lasts.

Hmmm! This may be a clue. My '05 has always done the 10-second run after engine shutdown ...

(Don't hit that "delete" key too fast there, Mr. Host! Only trying to help here! After all, this is the "Problems & Solutions" discussion, FCOL!)

Meade
    The question is why?

When the engine is "hot" the fan should turn on - so why is my engine running hotter now than it did last summer?

The only thing I can come up with is -

Since I seem to be getting more cool air than before I am guessing the AC is not cycling on & off as fast / so the compressor is running longer - the extra load on the engine is making it run hotter - so the fan runs more.

So the radiator fan running more is not a solution to the problem - but the result of my AC (& engine) working harder.

The other reason for the AC improvement could be I am getting low on refrigerant - a system that is a little bit low can actually produce colder air than one that is fully charged - sounds backwards - but its true.

Now that the "cold" front has hit Houston (temp at 7:30 AM today was a frigid 68 degrees) my AC really kicks out the cold air - its fun to drive again!
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    My '04 3 sedan is coming up to 15,000 miles so I called to a few dealerships in the area to get price quotes for the service. I was surprised to see a high end of over $300 being quoted. The lowest was about $130. When I check the online maintenance schedule at Mazda's website, all it called for, it seemed, was basically an oil change and the other stuff was merely inspections. So I thought I wouldn't be paying more than $30 for service. Not the case apparently.

The dealerships were quoting me prices that included the oil change but also things like tire rotation and fuel injector cleaning as well.

What experience and pricing did you have for the 15,000-mile service? Should I go ahead or merely get an oil change? BTW, the car's running fine with no glaring issues.

Thanks.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, $3 every 3,000 miles.

Just do the services spelled out in the owner's manual for 15,000 miles--no more. Tire rotation is up to you. I do it every 7k or so, but some owners just let the front tires wear out and buy new ones.
    The dealers 15K service schedule is something they came up with to make extra $ - an oil change is all you need to do to keep your warranty valid.

I know some people (on front drive cars) just skip the rotation - let the front tires wear out - then replace them and leave the original tires on the rear.

My front tires wear out about 3 times faster than the rear.

Many tire experts advise to NOT do this - the reason is having better traction on the front tires (on a front wheel drive car) than the rear has a negative impact on handling.

So - if you have 2 tires than are 1/2 way worn out and 2 new tires - you should put the new tires on the rear.

Most cars have a built in tendency to UNDERSTEER - if you have more traction on the front than the rear it can change the handling of your car from understeer to oversteer. Which means if you take a corner a little to fast the back of your car will skid around and you will going backwards.
    What have you done? Now, everyone will try to drift at home. You should have written a disclaimer.

As far as the fuel injector cleaning goes, most if not all just pour that bottle of injector cleaner into your vehicle's gas tank. The cost is not only for the bottle of cleaner (anywhere from $3-$15), but the cleaner specifically calls for a full tank of gas, which could translate into additional $50 bill (depending on how much gas is already in the tank). Though I doubt the dealerships will fill your tank up let alone tell you to fill up when the car is ready or when picking up the car . That bit of info would 'rat' them out as to the the actual work done on the car.
  • rhesterrhester Member Posts: 29
    I've had my 2006 Grand Touring edition for almost two weeks now and have had zero problems other than an odd issue when the car starts up.

We've been getting our usual 80 degree daytime/40 degree nighttime temperatures here, so it's been pretty cold in the mornings. I've noticed a couple of times upon firing her up that there's a knocking sound from the engine compartment. It usually lasts about 10 seconds during which time the rpm dial hits almost 2k before "calming down" to it's usual 800 rpm level. That can take about a minute.

Has anyone else had this problem? From owning a Miata for 4+ years before trading it in for this 3 I'm used to Mazda's "problems" that mysteriously disappear after a while with no work being done on my part to "fix" them. I'm hoping this is another one of those instances!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    As far as the fuel injector cleaning goes, most if not all just pour that bottle of injector cleaner into your vehicle's gas tank.
    Here's an excellent article on the topic

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/050302.htm
  • kmh2468kmh2468 Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the responses. I took my 3 in at the dealership which charged $125. About an hour later my car was ready. I look at the bill and besides the oil change material, I see a charge for air filter @ $19 and a can of 44K @ $26. The rest was for labor. Oh and they did rotate my tires and slapped or sprayed (messily) lubricant on the hinges and locks. In the future, I believe I'll stick to just oil changes unless necessary. Lesson learned.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I just took my 3i to the dealership too but just for a $29 oil change. Its 8 mos old and 15K miles and the dealer wanted me to do the 15K mile service. I told them that what can they possibly think the car needs at 7mos old? All the new cars I've owned, 2 years is the minimum before I start replacing parts which is normally just the front brake pads and maybe an alighment. At 10K miles, I had the oil change and rotation for $49.99. The Mazda website usually has the car care coupons.
    Ask your service guy for a printed copy of what's included in each service prior to having it performed. Then take the copy home and get out your owner's manual. Cross out any items that are not included in your owner's manual, take the sheet back and tell the guy to remove those items from the list, along with the labor charges that go with them.

Meade
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    The Air Conditioning system on my 2004 Mazda 3 with automatic transmission has performed superbly for the 15 months and 35,000 miles we have owned the car.

Since we purchased and drive the car throughout South Florida and Georgia I consider that proof that the system is in fact well engineered.

During the 35,000 miles and 15 months of totally problem free ownership we have received superb service from three different Mazda dealers in Florida and Georgia.

Perhaps you received a different Mazda in Canada because Consumer Reports and every other rating magazine and service in the US has given the Mazda3 and Mazda superb ratings.
    Just scroll down to see who won (in a tie) the "small car" category:

http://www.strategicvision.com/press_release.php?pr=10&PHPSESSID=84037b072d96e48eab0495e9a- - - d421dbd

Please note how these ratings were assigned:

More than 40,793 buyers who bought 2005 models in October and November of 2004 supplied data. “We gather comprehensive data that reflects the breadth and depth of the ownership experience, including emotions. The information is used to calculate ‘Total Quality’ indices.

Meade
  • cinderycindery Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if there is an OFF button or an easy procedure to turn off the Navi system? If I enter a destination and later decide to go somewhere else, the navi keeps trying to take me to the original destination. I have read the manual and the 'cheat sheet' glossy book that comes with the navi - neither mention any method to quickly turn off the navigation.

Any help here?
    Thanks
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Mazda3 tied with the... Accent. Odd company. The Accent is a car I don't equate with an emotional response. Oh well.
  • jb03jb03 Member Posts: 31
    Cindery:

When in the Navigation Mode, press the Enter button down once. This will bring up an options menu. Scroll down to "Delete Destination." That will get rid of the original destination.

As an alternate, you can enter in a new destination which will cancel the original destination as well.

Hope this helps

JB
    Well, it's been quite awhile since my last post here on Edmunds in the 2000 MPV forums (nearly five years ago). I bought a used 2004 Silver MZ3S Sedan in very good condition. The car looks and runs good. Here are my observations since purchase:

1. My CEL is very sensitive and is specifically caused by not completely tightening the the gas cap. The cap has to be inserted just right and then turned to tighten. Failure to do this results in a CEL every time.

2. No problems with AC. It blows cold (not frigid) and cools the car down even in bright sunny So. Cal.

3. I get the rare wheel hop when accelerating hard while cornering. This is discussed on other forums for the MZ3 and is known to be caused by the soft durometer engine mounts. This is not a problem unless one likes to drive the car hard.

4. I get an occasional flutter sound from the engine compartment when the engine is under load (not to be confused with engine knock). This too has been noted on other forums as possibly being caused by the vane in the air mass flow sensor.

5. About 3 weeks ago, I began to notice a very slight almost imperceptible vibration through the steering wheel. It could be my nearly worn tires or a bad CV joint (a known issue on some MZ3s).

Other than the above, I have had no other issues. I'm planning on having items 3, 4 & 5 looked at under warranty during my next visit to the dealership.

Regards,
    JB
    I bought a used 2004 Silver MZ3S Sedan
    Welcome back, JB.
    Could you let us know why you opted for a used rather than new MZ3? Was cost the only consideration? What mileage did the car have upon purchase? Any advice for others considering used versus new?
  • sandpapersandpaper Member Posts: 60
    Sorry, this message was posted a long time ago but I seem to be having a similar problem.

At high way speeds, I hear a 'rattling' from the grauges. When I hear the sound, I get the impression that it must be something related to the odometer.. it's not really a rattle, more of a 'clicking' sound.

I think you have the solution for this noise, but can you explain what 'piece of plastic' you are referring to? I thought you were talking about the plastic that separates the odometer from the gas meter, etc. I tried to pull that out... doesn't seem to come off.

My car is less than week old and I didn't notice this sound during the test drive (probably because the high way near the dealership is newly paved).
    I think he's actually talking about the little "hood" over the instrument cluster.

Meade
  • gigglegirlgigglegirl Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback in Sept 05. About 2 days ago, the indicator light with the key on it, the one that tells you your key is still in the ignition and also lights up when the car is turned to ACC, started flashing when the car is completely off and the key is nowhere near the ignition.

Any ideas what this could be from???

I dropped it off at the dealer last night and this morning they tell me that the light is supposed to flash. Ummm.... NOOOOOO.... it's not, I tell them. They are going to look again.
    The light should keep flashing - the dealer is right.

Look in your owners manual under security.

It says - "the security indicator light flashes every 2 seconds until the system is DISARMED.

The system is disarmed when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position with the correct key. If your light flashes with the key switched on then you have a problem.
    I think everyone's preferences vary on what's hot or cold....or perhaps you are one of the lucky ones.

There are NUMEROUS Mazda boards both in Canada and USA that mention the inadequate A/C has an ongoing issue with unsatisfactory cooling. When people say their A/C is fine in their Mazda3, I get frustrated because they don't mention what setting they use (level 1,2, or3). Not one of my many [4 cylinder economy] cars that I have leased in the last 8 years did I ever encounter such a weak and feeble A/C system. I wish I had my 1.8 L, 89 HP TDI for that reason alone.

Just today, I visited another Mazda board and it was mentioned that one particular dealer [in the USA] indicated that the 2004/2005 Mazda3 and 2006 Mazda5 have an evapator that is too small. In the 2006 Mazda3 and Tribute, the size has increased and therefore, the cooling is much better. The dealer also mentioned that Mazda won't replace the evaporator on the 04/05's. But, at least the problem is RECOGNIZED by some dealers! :surprise:
    :surprise:

I have no idea how Consumer Reports actually comes up with some of this info. I can say for sure, I totally disagree with the 2005 Mazda3 and VW Jetta as being up there (I owned both).

I have always agreed with JD Powers, which I feel is more objective and accurate: http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/ratings/vehicles/FindJdAwardsResults.jsp. You may have to select the 2005 Mazda3 in the above link or try this link instead: http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/ratings/vehicles/FindJdAwards.jsp

The bottom line is that the 2005 Mazda3 is rated in OVERALL QUALITY a 2 out of 5!! ;)
    For those that are not clear on how JD Powers does their research, see:
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/content/faq.jsp#question02

This other company's info is questionable: http://www.strategicvision.com/view_ratings.php

The Total Quality Index is: Satisfaction with complete ownership experience
    Perception of quality, Emotional attachment to vehicle yields a high score of 859

The Total Value Index is: Delight with the deal, Belief in getting a smart buy,
    Likelihood to repurchase, based on value is 767

And, the biggest one, Problem Impact Measure
    (lower number is better), have NO DATA (No data available) !! :confuse:

You decide which one you believe.
    I tried to take the hood off but I couldn't. Now it seems a bit flimsy.

sigh.

Today I realized that the sound is very minor but it's still noticeable. The sound isn't a
    click', after all. Sounds like a liquid dripping? Tick tick tick tick tick, more like. And it appears to be coming from under the dashboard.

I wish this sound would go away. :sick:
    You know what.. after driving it again

I think basically my whole dashboard seems to squeak here and there when I'm in a rough road.
    Most prominantly behind the steering wheel and near the center console.
    I think the area around the information display appears weak. it definitely squeaks when i press the area surrounding it (the black plastic in the i model)
    it's not noticeable (that much), but i tend to be anal with these things.
    should i tell this to the dealer?
    the dealer is very, very far away so i can't be traveling back and forth a lot so i don't want it to be in for repairs and such.

as for the 'clicking noise in dash' - i still don't get how to repair that so more directions should be much appreciated.
    As you suggested I checked the JD Power Initial Quality & Appeal Ratings for the 2005 Mazda3 and found the information below. Based on this it appears that the Mazda3 overall rates close to 4 stars (better than most). I did not find your assertion that "the 2005 Mazda3 is rated in OVERALL QUALITY a 2 out of 5" Could you clarify where you found that rating?

Initial Quality Ratings
    - Mechanical Quality : The rest (2 stars)
    - Feature and Accessory Quality : Better than Most (4 stars)
    - Body & Interior Quality : About Average (3 stars)

Appeal Ratings
    - Performance : Better than Most (4 stars)
    - Comfort : Better than Most (4 stars)
    - Style : Better than Most (4 stars)

Source: http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/ratings/vehicles/FindJdAwards.jsp
  • pmc255pmc255 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all. I just drove home with a new 2006 Mazda3 i Touring (with AT and ABS) yesterday. It had 400 miles on it when I picked it up, since it was a trade-in from a dealership that was pretty far away. But driving it home, I noticed a slight squeal whenever I turned the steering wheel. I think I noticed this mainly in the parking lot, since it was a very faint noise. Even if the car wasn't moving, just turning the steering wheel would produce the same squeaking/squealing sound. It seems to be coming from the dashboard. Has anyone else run into this? Is this some kind of mechanical problem, or is the steering wheel just squeaky and needs to be oiled or something?
    Come to think of it, when dealers trade for cars from another dealership, do they really drive the car all the way to the other dealership? According to the original windows sticker, the car was shipped to a dealership that is about 270 miles away from the original one. If they really drove it all the way to my dealership, then I could see how it might reach 400. But 400 miles is still pretty high.... I'd think for long distances, the car would just be loaded up on a truck and hauled over.
    Did you finally get your black mica 3? (from mazda3forums, btw)
    Mine was also a dealer trade but it only had 20 miles on it. I've never experienced the squealing, but I am having problems with rattling.
    Yup, finally got my Black Mica. I love it so far, minus that slight squeal. The more I think of it, the more I think it's just the steering wheel making a weird noise and not a mechanical problem. I just called the dealership the car was listed under on MazdaUSA, and the other dealership on the original sticker. Both of them said the 400+ odometer reading is not unusual, since they drive the car manually when they do dealer trades. I'd think if there was some kind of mechnical problem, they would've noticed and fixed it.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    When i bought a Honda Accord a few years ago they didn't have the one I wanted. They found the one I wanted form another dealer...300 miles away. They paid someone (they said an old retired person) to drive it here.
    Hi Auto,

Thanks for the welcome. I opted for used primarily due to price. i was looking for a loaded 3S 5sp with navi which was difficult to come by at the dealership without ordering. While searching used, one became available in my second color choice. Mileage was at about 28,000. I researched the MZ3 prior to buying so I new what to look for and what problems might be prevalent.

The person I bought the car from needed a larger vehicle to tow his recently purchased motorcycle. I utilized my credit union to purchase the car and they were able to handle everything including DMV transfer, title and registration. So the transaction was very smooth.

All in all, I probably saved about $4,500 over purchasing new and I got all of the features I wanted. Hope this helps someone who may be making the decision between purchasing new and used.

Regards,
    JB
    Hi Ex,

I certainly agree that what is considered hot or cold is certainly subjective. Personally, I find that the AC when set on fan setting 2 blows "comfortably" cold. It is by no means frigid as I noted in an earlier post, and it as not as cold as my MPV.

What I have noticed about the MZ3 is that the AC seems to be governed by some sort of thermostat in the passenger cabin that begins to automatically cut the compressor in and out once the interior reaches a certain temperature. What that temperature is I cannot say since I have not felt the need to measure it. :)

For those who don't think the AC is cold enough, one suggestion would be to have the dealer check the adjustment of the linkage to the heat valve. It is possible that a small amount of hot water is being circulated through the heater core even though the temperature control knob is turned to the coldest setting. Just a thought.

Hopefully, for those not satisfied with the AC, a solution can be found.

Regards,
    JB
  • dondiliodondilio Member Posts: 56
    Well to be honest I cant complain about the A/C. When I get in the car at 1 pm parked under the sun at 97 degrees outside I turn it on full power for about 3-4 mins then lower it to 2. In here the temperature doesnt change all that much from winter to summer so I use the a/c under high temperatures all year round. All i have to say it peforms well. If you wants an incredibly cold a/c in Mazda go buy the 6, believe me that one will freeze you even if you set the temp at 75 and is 100 outside ;)
    another dealer...300 miles away. They paid someone (they said an old retired person) to drive it here.
    This type of service sounds very likely if the distance to the other dealer is not great and the customer is anxious to get the vehicle. Prior to accepting the car, I would check it carefully for dings and other blemishes; one easy way of doing this is to run your hand across the surface.
  • maxpwrmaxpwr Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I recently found this site and thought I would share my experiences with my M3 GS sedan over the last 18 months. I too have a weak A/C as others have mentioned...but in Vancouver it's not a big deal..wouldn't mind my $1000 back though. Of concern to me are the brakes, the fronts which squeel often, and back brakes that grind. Of bigger concern is the suspension in my car which creaks going over speed bumps from all four corners. The dealer has supposedly tried to fix this on two occassions with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? I've also had problems with a rough idle that developed right after my 8000km service. Dealer says it's on par with other M3's. Is an idle speed of just 600 rpm about right for a manual 2.0? A higher idle seems to smooth things out but they won't adjust it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx :confuse:
    My $0.02

The idle should be set to 650 for manuals and 700 for auto transmissions, per Mazda specs for my region. The tachometer is just an approx.; any legit garage should have equip for correctly guaging the idle. If your idle is in fact 600 rpm, it's low, but not by any extreme; just enough to cause more of a rough idle. BTW - the rough idle may have something to do with one of the engine mounts (rubber being too soft). There's a tsb on this issue (I think mount 3?).

This site will better explain the range at which the idle is set. You may be able to convince the dealership to increase it to the higher end of the spectrum, especially if its proven that the idle smooths out at that new spec.

http://www.midwestcarclub.com/mazda/manual/
    Try this site - it lists TSB's for the Mazda3

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html

Several on brake noise (rear grinding) & suspension noises - I have had the grinding brakes fixed 2 times - but using the "old" TSB - I plan on trying to get the dealer to try the new fix at my next oil change - also waiting for the TSB on harsh tranny shift.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Yes, "new" TSBs are always preferable to "old" TSBs. :shades: