Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    Tires.

A couple of weeks ago I test drove a top-of-the-line Mazda 5 with 205/50-17 tires by Toyo. When I commented to the Mazda salesperson that Mazda had switched tire mfg. from Goodyear to Toyo he tells me that the 17" Toyos are mfg. by Goodyear for Toyo.

Till date, I can't verify what he said; nor have I been able to find 205/50-17 tires from Toyo. At the time I didn't think about it, but thinking back I should have looked at the tread design of the Toyos to see if they looked anything like the Goodyears.

Does anyone have any insight as to the performance of these all-season tires? My test drive was brief and inconclusive.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I would like to see a post about what Mazda customer service does for you.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I don't know of a switch on the 3 (I frequent another board and would have heard) You'll probably get more response in the Mazda5 forum
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well first of all the car runs richer (and longer) during warm up in winter, and some engines never warm up properly during short trips; then the gasoline is often re-formulated for winter; and generally in bad weather people tend to drive in lower gears for traction.
  • sillycatsillycat Member Posts: 2
    my 2005 3 has these tires, they are not very good on snow pack or ice,
  • sillycatsillycat Member Posts: 2
    for the local dealers customer service they do as little as they can get away with, I finally went up the cooperate ladder to Mazda USA in California to get reimbursed for the rental that got us home after my 3 blew it's engine at 3559 miles... The local slogan is "where nobody buys just one" one is more than enough for me!
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    so on subject of gas mileage do you think in any way that the engine was damaged when the car wash jockey revved the car causing a poor seating in the valves???
    don't think so...if a valve was bent by over-revving you'd certainly know it.
    I wonder what else on a vehicle with less than 700 miles could cause this....break in period? bad gas? hmmmm.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    A guy gets his car towed into our shop and he states that it started making a bad noise and he pulled over to potentially avoid any further damage...turns out he had just come from a well known quick oil change place...well our techs look at the car and the oil cartridge was cracked from improper installation and the car lost all oil and cooked the engine....of course mazda will not cover this under warranty since wasn't mazda fault and the quick oil change place won't cover it either. They sent a guy down who did alot of talking and excuse making but refused to accept responsibility... so now the poor guy is facing a $5700 bill for a new engine on his year old mazda3.

The point of the story is to be very careful who you let change the oil cartridge on your Mazda3s...it requires a special tool to get it just right and one little mistake and your walking...
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looks like a lawsuit to me, unless this guy goes up the chain and gets a better response. In my experience the quick lube kinds of places have accepted responsibiity for problems like this that are obviously their fault.
    I can recall about a half dozen problems over the years with quick lube places and they all DID step up and accept responsibility for their screw ups...I'm surprised how hard they are fighting this..Anyone who has changed the 3's oil cartridge knows it's easy to crack the filter if the right tools are not used and its very obvious who casued the problem...I agree a lawsuit is in order but meanwhile the guy is renting a car at his expense...it could be months or longer before any results from legal action.

We offer a pre-paid oil change card that gets the consumer 10 oil/filter changes for $129....so I'm amazed when a local customer goes to jiffy change instead of the dealership.
    We offer a pre-paid oil change card that gets the consumer 10 oil/filter changes for $129....so I'm amazed when a local customer goes to jiffy change instead of the dealership. "

Wow. I wish my dealership offered that. Nice deal...
    But r they Toyos or Goodyear???
    That is about what it would cost someone to buy the oil and filters.

As long as you don't get sucked into a $59 tire rotation - or let them talk you into a bunch of maintenance that you don't need (tranny & radiator flush at 20K) the dealership is the best place to go - at least as long as the car is under warranty.
    As long as you don't get sucked into a $59 tire rotation

I knew I could count on something negative from you.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Our dealer gave us free oil/filter changes, every 5,000 miles, for the life of the car.
    I wouldn't rotate somebody's tires for $59, at least not by hand. Anyway that's .5 hour shop time in California, reasonable enough don't you think? Drive car on lift, set jack, lift car, remove four wheels, check brake linings, rotate wheels, secure wheels, lower car, re-set jacks, drive car off.
  • gabbydoggabbydog Member Posts: 7
    So would I. I am headed in that direction. My dealer tells me that the Company(not the dealer) says that Mazda-3 interior fabrics are expected to fall apart after a year. I don't think the advertisements boast of this. Will pursue.
  • gabbydoggabbydog Member Posts: 7
    Dealer's Service manager refused to talk to me for a month. Now dealer says that Mazda Corp. considers deteriorating & fading upholstery to be expected wear in a 2004 Mazda 3 after a year.
  • rdrrrdrr Member Posts: 20
    To get away from the cartridge filter convert to the spin on type filter that the 2.0 uses.
  • rdrrrdrr Member Posts: 20
    Wow $12.90 a oil and filter change. Can't be making any money on that deal unless it was part of the deal when buying the car. Just add the difference what it would normally cost to the price of the car.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The strategy is obviously to entice customers to get all of their service done at the dealership. But that's fine--it's still a great deal. I've seen more dealerships in my area offer free oil changes lately, a "VIP" kind of program. I think it's smart in that it builds customer loyalty to the dealership, and maybe the brand.
    Wow $12.90 a oil and filter change. Can't be making any money on that deal unless it was part of the deal when buying the car. Just add the difference what it would normally cost to the price of the car. "

They also can recoup money with people who don't keep the car for the 10 oil changes (50k miles)
    Backy your right...it brings folks back to the service department. Your also correct that not everyone uses all 10 oil changes. It's like gift certificates. Around christmas we offer 10% off on gift certificates. (pay $90 but its worth $100) Surprising enough only 70% or so ever get used.
    The 10 oil changes for $129 is a great deal - but the question is why does the dealer offer it?

Mr_Shiftright - you say you would not rotate tires for $59.00 - OK great lets use your pricing method - to figure out how much you would charge for an oil change. You could use the same .5 hour PLUS you need to add the cost of the oil and filter. Why not just tape a couple of $20 bills on the side of the car while you are at it.

So you need to ask - why is the dealer doing this?

Take your pick -

They are just nice and like to do things that they lose money on.

OR

They want to get you to come into the service department so they can sell you other services.

BTW - there is even a name for this - its called a loss leader - it is a common business practice. I have nothing against it.

The point is - many (that means most but not all) dealerships will try very hard - while you have your car in getting your bargain $12 oil change to also get your tires rotated - radiator & tranny flushed - fuel system cleaned and flushed -plus plus plus. So your $12 bargin become a $250+ tab.

audia8q - are you trying to tell me that your dealership DOES NOT TRY and sell other service to the customers that come in to get their oil changed? Unless of course it is part of the maintenance required by Mazda that is provided in the owners manual.

There was nothing negative about my post - its just the way things are - sure take the $12 oil change - just say no to the $229 tranny service when your car only has 20,000 miles.
  • widow1widow1 Member Posts: 39
    Decided one more try at the local dealer - Cox Mazda in Sarasota, FL - as the Mazda Customer Assistance rep who opened a case file on my throttle problem had not returned my call after I left a voice message. After a phone call to the Cox Service Manager sent my mother to the dealer. The tire installer had driven the vehicle and said it might be a suspension problem. The dealer thought the axle was the culprit and is ordering a new front axle for the car. Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath that it will solve the 2 year long vibration problem. Have had the rear brake pads replaced by Mazda to correct brake squeal, but this vibration problem at 55 mph has been the real hair puller. My mother is elderly and rarely drives at highway speeds. Car has only 6100 miles on it - an automatic with the Sport Package and the brand new 17" tires. Going to sell it after the repair and buy her a Jetta or a Civic.
    are you trying to tell me that your dealership DOES NOT TRY and sell other service to the customers that come in to get their oil changed?

yeah, if the guy has bald tires or bad brakes we point it out, if something is broken on the car we also point it out to the customer. Perhaps you thing this is a bad thing. Our experience has shown that most folks want to be alerted when something is wrong with their car.
    Sure if a customer's car has problems you can point them out - and then by all means try and sell him some new tires or a brake job - thats just good business. Like I said I don't have any problem with it - I have made many - add on sales - selling them something they need to have a safe car or to say within Mazda Maintenance requirements is GREAT!

But you seem to be avoiding my question - I wonder why?

WHY does your dealership offer $12 oil changes - OBVIOUSLY to get the customer to bring their car in to the service department. But do you try and UP sell them to services like tranny fluid changes that are not REQUIRED by Mazda - just to make extra money. I think YES you do - and why are you so ashamed to just admit it?

Don't you see a difference between selling someone tires when they have bad tires - or having then pay $200 for a radiator flush when they don't need one for another 10,000 miles?
    I LIKE my dealer. I gladly pay him a bit extra for the personal service I get from him. If I'm being suckered, bring it on, I love it. Of course, I also follow the rule "Trust everyone, but cut the cards".
    Hmmm. last time I checked z we are all adults (except in the desert 4W'in)and could make our choices based upon preference and "feel". I agree that dealers will sell services but they are in the business of making us a happy customer. If that costs a bit more and they stand behind thier work, umm seems that is kinda the goal....!?
    Mr_Shiftright - Glad you like your dealer - so do I

ggoins - I also agree we are all adults and can spend our money any way we want.

Like I have said SEVERAL TIMES I don't have a problem with a business selling things to people - that is why they are in business. I managed a sales organization for over 10 years - I know full well how things work.

Its much easier to keep existing customers - than find a new customer

Its also easier to sell MORE to a current customer than it is to find a new customer.

I was only pointing out that the $12 oil change can end up costing you MUCH more if you are not careful. My original post was - The $12 oil change is great -

As long as you don't get sucked into a $59 tire rotation - or let them talk you into a bunch of maintenance that you don't need (tranny & radiator flush at 20K) the dealership is the best place to go -

On a previous vehicle - I bought a book of 10 oil changes for $50 - so when my vehicle hit 30K I replaced my air filter - and then drove straight to the dealer for an oil change - after about a 15 minute wait - the service guy asks me - Do you want us to replace the air filter -its dirty? I said WHAT? How can that be - I replaced it with a new one TODAY! All he said was sorry - must have made a mistake! Right - mistake -
  • yu203964yu203964 Member Posts: 35
    I agree with Bill. As long as the services or products are necessary, I don't mind to do it. However, most of the time the dealers try to sell you something actually is not necessary and say this is necessary in order to keep the warranty. For example, when I changed oil at 24,000 km. the dealer told me to do the package for that mileage because it's required by the warranty. The bill was increased from $40 normal oil change to $177. The extra work done was mostly for brake inspection and cleaning. If I had the owner's manual on hand, I would have checked and rejected the services.
    It's our jobs as owners to ask what things will cost and look over the list. If a dealer deliberately tries to sneak something past you AFTER you've specified you don't want the "fuel injector treatment" and the "paint protectorant and interior scent package", then go somewhere else and send them a complaint letter.

If tire rotation is part of the service, you can't really haggle the price...you can refuse the service but then you'll have to haul the car somewhere else and what's your time worth for the $15 savings?

So dealer undercharges you for oil change, overcharges you for tire rotation, it all comes out about equal and everybody's happy. But they gotta treat you right while you're there...that's part of the deal.
    if you gotta worry that much you better find someone who you DO trust to work on your ride.
  • yu203964yu203964 Member Posts: 35
    Yes, I agree we should be a smart consumer, we should ask for details and reasons before we agree for the job. Therefore, I admit I also have responsibility for not asking clearly.

This is my first Mazda and was first annual oil change of it. When the service advisor told me this was a package for annual check and Mazda recommended it, I thought it would cover all the necessary maintenance required for warranty. I only knew when I received the invoice, the extra work was mainly for brake inspection and cleaning. Actually my front brake rotors and pads were changed not long ago. So for a straight forward service advisor, he should not have recommended this package for me. Just like last oil change, the advisor recommended tire rotation. But I just changed winter tires a week ago. What's the purpose for tire rotation again?

So for the laymen and those not knowledge about cars, we wish there are more straight forward and honest advisors. For me, I would be more prepared to question the advisor when I am asked to do other services during a routine oil change.
    trust looks like it's hard to find out there. the job of the service advisor is to tell us what we "must" do to maintain the warranty and "options" which might be advised and finally "customary" items which most customers take advanctage of. As well we can ask if the dealer has any service specials now or in the near future. In addition, we do have a responsiblity to find a service adviser or mechanic who we can TALK with...I guess that I have been fortunate...I had a wheel bearing go out after 20K and the mechanic replaced it free of charge. that helped a lot form trust with that dealer. Mazda seems to have changed. I owned 3 previous mazdas and the company was right behind thier vehicles....from my reading that seems to have changed.....if so....we can make people responsible to us by being assertive and persistant....if you feel that queasy uncomfortable feeling with the service advisor go someplace else...is my feeling.
    On the one hand - since most people can read - they don't have much of an excuse if they buy services that they don't need just because the dealer (or any service place) says that they "need" or "should" or even "must" get something done to comply with the Mazda warranty.

But I also know that if my wife took her car in for an oil change and the service person told her that she really needed to get the brakes replaced - the car is not safe to drive - that she would say - OK fix them. BTW my wife knows how to read - she just does not know that much about cars - wouldn't be able to tell if the pads were worn out or not.

It is this type of customer that will end up getting taken for a ride. Its not just dealerships - many (again - many means most but not all) automotive repair places have the same business ethics.

I was at Brake Check a few year ago - some young girl brought her car in and I could not help but over hear the service guy tell her she needed a new master cylinder - She ask how much was it going to cost and he said about $900. The girl started crying she did not have $900 - so I ask her if she cared if I took a look at it - she said please do. I went out - looked at the master cylinder and it looked fine - no leaks - good pedal feel - so I ask the guy why replace it? - he said the car has 50K on it and it should be replaced. I then ask him - then why didn't you tell me that I needed mine replaced - I have over 80K - he had no answer - but I know full well - he knew I was not about to let them replace something that was not broken - but some young girl who I would guess did not know a master cylinder from a valve cover was being cheated.
    I agree and am not naive about the ethics or lack of it factor..I was in Reno last year, and the Midas there recommended the rack and pinion be replaced after an oil change. I returned home and like yourself they said fogetaboutit...did not need in any way to be done...wonder if there is a website that rates dealers/mechanics similar to apartment ratings....you do not get all great or all bad reviews to read but you can focus on the points that the unsatisfied consumers post...I have found it quite useful.....nice job on the girls brakes....sounds like she found a friend....
    that's EVIL!
    zman...knight in shining armor...big ups...
  • cronusscronuss Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I just got my Mazda3 s Touring 5door manual a week ago.

When the car hit around 450 miles or so, I noticed the engine started ticking/clicking.

I never noticed it at all before, but when starting the car the other day I still had my door open and I could hear this very clear ticking sound. It's a constant ticking that seems to be in rhythm with the engine and when I rev the engine the ticking gets faster.

The sound definetly seems to be coming from around the engine.

Anyone else with a Mazda3 have this or might anyone know what it could be?

The car SEEMS to be running great and I love it... but this has be worried.
  • sprint02711sprint02711 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed the same thing about a week after I bought mine. Mine is an '06 3i manual. Same story here... runs perfectly, but that little sound after you start it scares me a little. I now have 10k on it and it still makes that sound most times after I start it. Are you going to take it in to the dealer?
  • cronusscronuss Member Posts: 2
    Not sure yet... it doesn't seem to happen ALL the time... but it has be concerned.

I guess is everyone else has the same sound then I'm not as worried...
    we noticed the sam sounds....thinking it is something to do with the compressor or with the a/c.....i also noticed this on my 97 626...nothing came of it and it was benign but it is definately noticeable
    Wow! Whine, whine, whine, whine, whine! Besides me, who else on this forum buys breakfast munchies for their dealership service dept.??? Usually, it’s either 2 dozen assorted donuts or a baker’s dozen bagel (mix bag) with butter and cream cheese (sorry, no lox). Hey, what can I say, its cheap insurance.

An oil change runs me about $40: $30 for the oil and filter; $10 for breakfast

An oil change plus a tire rotation is approx. $65: oil $30; tire $25; breakfast $10
    you go man....they must love to see ya comin'. donuts and all that I mean....must admit a good idea and a definite up in the morning..
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,573
    My dealership gives me bagels and doughnuts.. along with coffee, etc.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

where's the insurance in that?

I like to think that they take care of my car as well as I take care of them.

Add to that a couple of child car seats in the back plus a picture of my kids hanging from the rearview - that about covers all the bases.

So when I do get my car back after a tire rotation, I still 'kick the wheels' for hahas. Though, my instincts tell me that someone took extra care and triple checked all 20 lugs. Ok, at least that is what I like to think.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,573
    I call it "a bird in hand"...

Like you, I don't know how well they are doing the maintenance...

I do know that the breakfast was free.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator