Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I did not look to see what the $1.00 mod to the AC is - but let me guess - Is it a bag of ice?

slate1 - mine is 1.1 pounds same as the 2005 & 2006 model. I have also ask the parts department guy at Mazda to check the Mazda part number for the compressor, condensor & evaperator - they are all the same part number (for 2004, 2005& 2006) - which makes me think they are the same part - although it would be possible that they improved a part and kept the old number - although most business I have worked with always change the number if they issue a new part - makes it easier to track.

I have posted this before - but I had Mazda check my AC system - to determine if the compressor was shutting down before it should. Its been way over a year - so I don't recall all the exact numbers - but what they did was put a set of gauges on refrigerant lines and monitor the PSI readings as the compressor cycles on and off.

If the high side of the system is 200 PSI that = 33 degrees at the evaperator (just a guess on the PSI VS temp). So by looking at the PSI reading at the point the compressor cycles on and off the tech can tell if it is working correctly. Mine checks out. I also had a friend / former employee - that is a refrigeration department manager for a large industruial company put his gauges on my Mazda he confirmed what Mazda told me - the compressor cycles on and off when it should.

You can not just run the compressor longer - like I have said before - if you do it will freeze over the evaperator and your air flow coming out of the vents will be blocked - your cooling will be rduced to zero.

ex_tdier - do you know what ambient means?

Think of it this way - cooling capacity of the AC system is like the capacity of a pipe to supply water.

If you have a 1 inch pipe @30 PSI it will supply 10 gallons of water per minute (whatever). It does not matter if you turn the water on with a manual faucet - or if it is computer controlled utilizing satellite technology to monitor the ambient temperature - it will still supply the same 10 gallons per minute. Unless you change the size of the pipe or the PSI it will still have the same capacity.

I am not saying the auto system does nothing - it soulds like a nice system - but it does nothing to increase the capacity. Unless Mazda figured out a way to put 3 pounds into a 2 pound bag!
  • zurrizurri Member Posts: 1
    My dealer said that i should get a 15,000 mile service done.
    The charge is $321 dollars and it includes a long list of items. The Mazda 3 manual doesn't mention any thing really about getting serviced from dealerships so i want your advice.

Did any of you get a 15,000 mile service done? Do you think that paying $321 is too much for service at this point in the car's life (@ 15,000 miles)?

Any help and comments is appreciated
  • slate1slate1 Member Posts: 84
    If all the components are the same - the only indication as to why I'm getting satisfactory results with the Auto-climate control system in my '06 then MAY be the cycle times.

I keep reading that the system in the '04 models everyone keeps complaining about is cycling on for 10-12 seconds and then off for 50-60 seconds. Essentially only giving you 10 seconds of "on" time per minute. Mine is consistently cycling on for 10-12 seconds and off for only 15-20 seconds - giving you more than double the amount of "on" time per minute.

This has to be due to a change in the compressor temp sensor or some software issue.

As I've said over and over again - I don't know why, I don't know how - but, trust me, the Automatic Climate Control in the '06 GT Sedan works and works well.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I believe in the appendix of the manual there is a listing of the required services to be provided at a given interval. Typically the major services are annual, with others occurring every two or three years (example, coolant replacement, spark plugs).

You can try calling another Mazda dealership and ask them what servicing they recommend and the costs involved. If you find the service from another Mazda dealership suits you better, you can always switch your business to them.

Also, you can always decline a specific service item saying that you plan on doing it later. I typically follow all the manufactured recommended service requirements and selectively follow those suggested by the dealer. For example, dealers frequently recommend servicing the disc brakes as Mazdas tend to have an issue with them if the calipers get dirty and lock up; I have chosen to have this service done in addition to those recommended by Mazda.

All the best!
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Slate, Your cycle times MAY be related to your local conditions. If your car is in a hotter climate the ac will probably cycle more frequently. Comparing cycle time to cars in other locales tells us little.

One more thing that comes to mind and this was a problem in Vibe/Matrix is the blend door was not closing properly thus letting a little warm air bleed in even when the temp control was set full cold. Perhaps this is the problem with the manual Mazda3 system that somehow works (seals) better in the autoCC systems. The blend door 9if in fact that what the 3 uses) in the auto system would be powered by a motor. Perhaps this motor system seals against warm air leakage better, thus colder ac. Just a thought, again without actual temps it is just a guess.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    My head is spinning here....so what the heck do the added sensors then do in the auto-climate control models? Users in all locales with climate control report no problems. Those in the same locales with the manual DO report problems: compressor cycles less ie. is not on.

BTW, $1.00 mod is a resistor and it decreases the overall temp inside the car by 5F.
  • retailroyretailroy Member Posts: 8
    I had the same problem. After a ton of complaints to mazda they authorized to have the seat covers replaced. They started wrinkling a week later. Part of the problem I believe lies in the stiff foam they use in the cushions that begins to breakdown from use and heat and then the seat covers wrinkle and shift. After twenty thousand miles the seat cushion material is breaking down and sinking in the middle. I weigh about 180 pounds and my wife about 105 pounds and the seat problem is in both seats.

Coupled with the worst ac I have ever owned in any car and that includes the 9 mazdas we have driven I went in last week and signed a contract to buy a new camry se. I am counting the hours till it gets in to get rid of what in many ways was a very enjoyable car but too many lies by mazda and minor problems with the car. As a long time owner of mazdas I was a little concerned with too much Ford influence and it has come to pass. The hesitation in first gear, the ac, the seats, the brakes, and other small problems were denied by the mazda rep and he tried to tell me that he had not heard of any of these problems. Mazda no handles warranty like their sleazy sister company Ford, too bad, it was a nice ride with them for twenty plus years. I will a long time before I buy another one.
  • retailroyretailroy Member Posts: 8
    If you keep complaining they will cover them. Funy how they claim they have never heard of the problem. The quality of the interior is very suspect. I only used the floor mats for ten thousand miles and under the pedals they show excessive wear. The carpet is mounted on some type of stiff cardboard or something and does not look like it will hold up long eithr.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    The added sensors tell the climate control system to add or not add heat to keep interior temperature where you want it.

In an auto CC car something has to tell the system what to do, the sensors do this. In a manual CC car you make these changes yourself, you're the "sensor".

Some cars just work off interior temp. Some add sun sensors, Acura integrates this with GPS. Bottom line without some sort of sensors how is the climate control going to know what to do?
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    Mazda no handles warranty like their sleazy sister company Ford, too bad

We've owned five Mazdas since 1980, and have had a very different Mazda warranty/service experience than you've had. The five vehicles were bought and serviced at four different dealerships. Any warranty work required has been promptly taken care of to our satisfaction. We've never had to contact the national Mazda office with a complaint.

I drive a 2005 Mazda3 with manual transmission and leather seats, so I can't comment on your thoughts on cloth seats and first gear hesitation - the only hesitation I've expereienced is when I forget to shift back into first as I'm sitting at a traffic light! I haven't experienced the problems that you've mentioned - hope I don't!
  • lovemymazdalovemymazda Member Posts: 2
    There is a Service Buliten that details the fix for this. You have to push the buttons in the right order, follow closely and it works. See link below.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0032.pdf
    Any warranty work required has been promptly taken care of to our satisfaction. We've never had to contact the national Mazda office with a complaint.

It depends on how straight forward the problem or repair might be. If it's a defective glove box, that's easily remedied, if the radio stops working, then that too is an easy fix. If it involves any troubleshooting, then you probably won't be so satisfied.
  • lovemymazdalovemymazda Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to install a Sirius Satelite radio in a 2006 Mazda 3. I have 2 questions.

1) The fuse box is on the passenger side, the radio is a suction cup mounted model and will be on the driver's side. I do not see a whisper of space to pass a wire from left to right side under the dash. What is the best place to tap into power for auxiliary stuff like this on the driver side?

2) There is a Satelite button integrated into the the Grand Touring Audio system. Is it possible to to hardwire into the existing interface with a stock Siruis radio (without buying the Mazda version of the radio)? Obviously an adapter would be necessary. How difficult is it to access the ports?

OK several questions. Thanks in advance for the help.
    If it's a defective glove box, that's easily remedied, if the radio stops working, then that too is an easy fix. If it involves any troubleshooting, then you probably won't be so satisfied.

Defective glove box? What - it stopped cooling the case of beer stored in it? :P

Let me assure you that our vehicles required much more involved warranty work than that! The warranty work was done promptly, some of it at dealerships other than the one where we bought the vehicle.
    My coolant is 1.1 and so it is on Automatic Climate models too.

Also, from an A/C forum: The ATC may control the compressor, instead of the PCM. Many PCM's incorporate a re-strike delay that prevents the compressor from restarting for several seconds when cycling. "
    If you do not have a delay between the compressor stopping and when it is allowed to start back up - that would be a very bad thing. Its called "starting up under load" - next to running a compressor with no refrigerant - it is about the worst thing you can do.

If this is really what Mazda did to improve the AC then plan on replacing the compressor at some point - this could be (one of the reasons) why Mazda is lowering the warranty down to 36 months.

Also this change could have been done with or without the auto climate control - but either way its still a bad idea.
  • noelle023noelle023 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a new 2006 Mazda 3 s Touring. I'm wondering what other Mazda owners' opinions are on the 2006 Mazda 3? I've heard about transmission and check engine light problems, as well as some not so cool a/c problems. Are these common problems for the 2006, and was the dealer able fix them for good?

Also, how does the 2006 Mazda 3 s Touring handle in the snow and rain?
    Thanks for any advice! I appreciate it!
    I think the CEL & tranny problems have all been solved - for 2006 (even for 2005) -

As far as the AC is concerned - I would just test drive the car you plan to buy on a hot day - if the AC works you should not have any problem -

If the AC is weak then test drive a different Mazda3 until you find one that has a good AC. DON'T ACCEPT A CAR WITH A WEAK AC - Mazda will not fix the cars with defective AC systems -
  • madvey333madvey333 Member Posts: 4
    After driving for awhile, once I stop and am idle, there is a low key buzz. I think I read that this may be the power steering. Can anyone explain?

My 3i Touring has never had any problems in the snow or rain as of yet. Only got in 2 months of driving in the snow now that its warmer out. I'm most impressed with driving at night. The red lighting lets me drive in stealth mode and concentrate on the road rather than a bright colored dash. The projector beams and the Hi beams are also pretty decent.

My A/C is plenty powerful enough for Pittsburgh weather.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Put winter tires on if you are planning on driving in the snow especially if you have the coated rims they will rust besides the tires appear to be summer performance verity, not good in snow.
    As for the A/C check it in stop and go traffic on a very hot sunny day as it appears to be its weak spot. Let the car sit in the sun, windows up and than turn the A/C on before driving it. Drive the car into the sun so the sun hits the dash. If it is weak do not let the salesman tell you it will be better if the windows are tinted, thats not the solution. I am not impressed with the high speed braking ability for the 4 dic brakes the car has. :(
    Google "Mazda 3 forums" for more info before buying...
    What year is your car? Had you tried your A/C on a very hot sunny day in stop and go traffic?
    The projector beams on a very dark country road is not good, no depth-distance as the light drops off sharply. At 50 miles an hour, with low beams I don't feel safe. My hradlights are stock, no upgrades. The 06 might have
    HD lights? :(
    Auto:
    http://tinyurl.com/zyqn2

Manual:
    http://tinyurl.com/jpb96

As you can see from the manual, it's an 2004 and the auto climate has been around since 2004.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    I test drove an '06 Mazda3 GT on a sunny day w/ temps in the high 60s. Since it was not that warm the car was not warm but even w/ climate control set to 60, the A/C did not blow out that cold and I had to raise teh fan speed to get it comfortable. The A/C in my '96 Altima was colder (I had to lower it within a block of turning it on) and I test drove a Corrola and the A/C was much colder.

I otherwise loved the car but I question how the A/C will do on a hot day. When the car was not moving the A/C was not blowing that cold? For the people that have good A/C does it blow out cold within a couple of minutes even if the car is slow?

I am really leery of buying this car b/c of the A/C. Is there some way to test the particular car I would buy to see if it has weak A/C?
    I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT BUYING THAT CAR. If the dealer does not have another Mazda3 - find another dealership. Even my weak AC will cool the car on a 60 degree day (actually mine works pretty good up to about 80)

I would find one where the AC works better - Mazda has not (so to me that means Mazda will not) fix any cars with weak AC systems.

The thing that leaves me puzzled - why hasn't Mazda found a way to solve this defect - this is the 3rd year of the Mazda3 and all the problems (major ones anyway) should be solved.

It sure looks like all the talk about auto climate control was a waste - just as I though - it make no difference - because auto control adds no capacity to the system.
  • madvey333madvey333 Member Posts: 4
    2006 Mazda 3i Touring

I work nights so a major portion of my driving is done at night. Compared to most other cars in the 3's class that I've been in lately (04 civic, 03 neon, 97 cavalier, I know all alil older cars) my lights are much better. Most of my driving is done on back roads around 40-50 mph and I feel very comfortable with my lighting, mostly use hi beams which are better than the cars mentioned. I don't know of a car that you can travel comfortably going over 50 mph on dark back-roads only using low beams for prolong periods. Anything over that speed on back roads is just not a good idea considering it is after all dark, weather is typically worse at night and most animals are nocturnal.

We don't really get extremely hot weather in Pittsburgh. So having a powerful A/C was not a hugh factor in buying a car.

Looking for an answer on my low key buzz I hear while sitting in idle, typically heard after driving. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    I dunno if I mentioned this in the other thread or not. But Mazda North America screwed up big time when they decided not to include auto climate control in the Mazda3's here like they did when the model first was produced back in 2003/2004 for zones outside of North America.

I was also told that to do a refit, they would have to install a completely new wire harness system. This itself would require the car to be prettymuch fully taken apart.

Hence, no fix cuz of the huge cost involved. Mazda doesn't care about customer or brand loyality.
    Waiting for the 2007 in Canada to arrive. When they do I will wait for a very hot sunny humid day and do a test drive. For 2007, here in Canada, the cars will be equipped with auto climate control, 2004-2006 did not.
    Mazda doesn't care about customer or brand loyality.

Could've fooled me. I receive mail and E-mail from Mazda and Mazda dealers with $500 discounts, coupons for discounts on service, and surveys asking how their service departments are performing. They also call to see if we were happy with the service.

As noted previously, a number of Mazda service departments have performed warranty and routine maintenance on all of our Mazda vehicles (since '80) without any hassles. My wife even commented the other day on how easy our local Mazda service department is to deal with.

I do feel for anyone who is unhappy with the service provided by any service department.
    I think manufacturers feel a customer will not buy their product again because car buyers jump from product to product. Trying a different car because of style, performance etc. They feel they might have low repeat buyers so why make the ones who jump around happy but at the expense of the loyal repeat buyers. I have owned 3 different GM, all used, 1 Ford, new, 2 different Chryslers, used, now a new Mazda. Look at Toyota, the 2007 Camry V6 6 speed trannys are breaking down, earlier production runs but I am sure loyal buyers will buy them knowing Toyota will recognize and fix the problem. Check out Edmunds Toyota thread. In fact someone from Toyota has been on the board with replies to concerns and giving information on the problem. Toyota looks for repeat buyer and wants to keep them not like other manufacturers. My next car, not a Mazda. But if they fixed the A/C problem I will be a repeat buyer, wouldn't you??
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    The 3 I test drove was a GT so it had the auto climate control. I had to raise the fan speed manually since for some reason in slow moving traffic the A/C was lowing out on low. It did the job albeit slower than the A/C in my old Nissan or in the Corrola I test drove but I wonder how long it would take if its was 88 degrees instead of 68 degrees.
    richml, I received those surveys too, I also received them from GM and VW. It really means nothing to me. For all I know, they could be going through the motions. Perhaps these incentives are there way of luring or attracting customer buyers back to buy more products (usually in the form of accessories) as opposed to fixing the problems. North American Auto manufactures have done this for a long time. It's also part of basic psychology. If they they think they're giving you something for free or with a huge discount, you may be likely to ignore or forget a while about your other problems. I see this kind of apprach as as shutting you up.

When it comes to stats, they are generally looking for specific things within the survey. I hope you don't believe Ford's jingle that "Quality is Job 1?" I am not that naive to be fooled by them, and neither should you.

And no, I thought about it. I have too many ongoing problems and issues with my Mazda that I darn well know they will NOT fix the A/C issue, even if they did, which they won't, all the other quality issues and lack of customer service are still present. That's not enough. I look at the big picture.

So, no. I will NEVER buy another Mazda again. Again,they do NOT care about loyality. But, of course, there will always be the hardcore enthusiasts or the naive that think otherwise.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    So, no. I will NEVER buy another Mazda again. Again,they do NOT care about loyality. But, of course, there will always be the hardcore enthusiasts or the naive that think otherwise.

... or those of us who after many years have yet to experience a problem. I empathize with your case but like others here have said I would recommend Mazda to others based on my experience.
    I have never received any coupons worth $500.. Mazda is not going to give out $500 worth of discounts on service, the dealer service department will some how hide it in the bill to make you think you got a discount. The only survey I got was 2 weeks after getting the car and it was mostly for "how was your buying experience." Why don't they send one out after I have owned the car for 1 year, 2 years etc. I get e-mails from Mazda only to tell me of new products etc. Mazda has to keep the American buyer happy because of Lemon Law where available. In Canada no Lemon Law so the hell with Canadians. I have the early morning brake squeal and asked Mazda "North America" about the TSB for the fix, their answer, only applies to American cars. Where in the hell do you think Canada is, it is part of "North America", or do they think we are the north pole. :mad: Did anybody at Mazda go to school. :confuse: So I still have the squeal. I wouldn't have bought any Asian car in 1980, I don't think they were any better than Domestic. rust buckets, under powered :lemon:
    nifty56, careful what you say. the Mazda and Auto manufacurer police around here may try to censor or discount what you say. :sick:
    Ops...had a moment fit of madness..
    My wife commented this morning about the poor service she received when she took the M3 for service last week :cry: . She said she was also talking to the next door neighbours who own a 2007-Camry and a 2006-Accord. They, commented how great the service was on both cars so far. Their son drives a Chev 2006 Impala and just loves the car and feels it is as good as the Camry and Accord.. :D:)
    Between the dealership and the manufacturer -

99% of the time we are working with the dealership - that is who we buy the car from and where we take it for warranty work (maybe maintenance also)

But its the manufacturer who is responsible for the warranty.

You can have a poorly built car (manufacturer's problem) a very good dealership can still make it right

You can have a pretty good car (only a few small issues) and a poor dealership can make you want to pull out your hair.

A dealership normally must get approval from the car company before they do warranty work (if they want to get paid). I do not claim to know the exact Mazda procedure - but I think for minor things - were a TSB has been issued - approval is just about automatic. If the issue is major (as in costs more to fix) approval is still easy for the dealership to get when a TSB has been issued - but sometimes the manufacturer will want the dealership to send the defective parts in - or may even send someone out to look at the problem - kind of like an audit - just to keep the dealership honest.

If you have a major problem (lets say an engine failure) and it is not a known problem - then the approval process will sometimes take a little longer - and will get looked at closer before the repair is approved.

So when you look at a problem like a weak AC system - the dealerships hands are somewhat tied - Mazda will not authorize them to just start replacing parts - plus I do not think this issue can be solved by just replacing the compressor or evaperator - its more complex than that. So even if you have a top notch dealer that really wants to solve your problem - they can not.

My problem is not with the dealership - but with Mazda -

I am 99.9999% sure that Mazda knows exactly what the problem is with the AC system - and they have made a decision to not solve the problem - to not stand behind the cars that they sell - I can only assume that it is a decision that is based on $$.
    I agree, Mazda KNOWS what the problem is with the A/C.

While it's true the dealership's is bound by the manufacturer's warranty and all the red tape associated with it, the dealership knows the "loops holes" on how to get a warranty claim put through. All too often, it may be too much hassle, but why since since it would benefit them? I dunno, but I overhead the service manager at a Mazda dealership tell a mechanic that he can NOT repair an item because the customer did NOT complain about it even though the mechanic found something else wrong. Maybe they are afraid of Mazda for some reason? In any case, that's totally unacceptable.

The difference between a good dealership and a bad one is one that admits there is a problem and then tells you that there is nothing they can do about it if it's an inhernt defect without a known fix as opposed to lying to your face or saying "we can't find anything wrong", or "it's within spec."

Care to guess which category the majority of Mazda dealerships fall into? Let me give you a hint, it's not the good one.
    I also think dealers do not like to do warranty work because they do not get paid as much for doing it compared for doing work outside the warranty, so they do not want to spend a whole lot of time on warranty work. I bet if I was to take my car in for a weak A/C and it was no longer under warranty they would hook up gauges and spend as much time as they can looking for a problem. They would probably not even do a temp vent check. My experience, was a vent temp check-within specs, car has windows, sorry-out the door. My vent temp was at the high end of Mazda's range, so maybe if they took more time maybe they would have found a fault, corrected it and I might have my vent temp at the low end of the range. It all a game about $$$.... let the debate begin
    Nifty, exactly. I forgot about that the fact that warrany work gets paid less than non warranty.

I am sure now that the bait has been set, all those pro Mazda drivers and Mazda employees on Edmunds will try even harder to flame us for writing how it really is. :lemon:
  • 68mpolo68mpolo Member Posts: 21
    I had the same problems with my 04 mazda3 hatch. Weak AC, early morning squeeks, hard shifting btwn 1st & 2nd to name a few. The service dept. of the dealership I bought it from did not provide me with a good exp. when I'd bring my car in. Some of the reasons why I didn't have that hard of a time trading in the car after only 7 months of ownership.
    Mind you, financially it was not a very smart move and I do miss the driving feel of the car. Do I still wish I had my mz3, not really considering the problems that I was encountering plus the fact that I feel bad for whoever bought i since it is no longer at the dealer that i traded it in to. I probably wouldn't buy another mazda either. I luv the feel of my wife's 05 Saturn vue's honda supplied V6 that I might go Honda next time around. my 2 cents.
    When it comes to ride, road noise, stock audio, comfort and A/C it's hard to be the North American cars.

We've all learned some good tips here, especially testing out the A/C system in the sunshine in the middle of summer, preferrably on the warmest summer day.

Oh, just so you khow, Mazda did come up with a TSB on the squeaky brakes and shifting. This also applies to the Canadian models too.

They STILL do not have a TSB on the intermittent car dying. This is definitely a safety issue and reaks of a lawsuit when somebody gets killed because they get rear-ended when their Mazda3 dies.
    At the Tornto Mazda 3 forum someone there mentioned that if the car has the noisey brakes Mazda will fix them ONLY if you have had your car serviced at a Mazda dealer, oil changes, etc. if not, too bad, no fixy..the guy was totaly peed off. I do my own oil changes etc...so I don't get a fixy. Probably will get rid of the car before the brakes need changing anyways, The neighbours will have to put up with it, they use my brakes as an alarm clock...lol...maybe I should charge them a fee for a wake up call...make some doe on the side, tax free, cash only, anybody interested...good advertising for Mazda...
    That's interesting. I would say that's another example of a BAD dealership. I hope people don't give up that easily and not try another dealership. Oh wait a minute, that's Canada you're talking about...the country where people are taught not to complain, and if you do complain something you have to stop doing so at the first sign of rejection.
    It appears it is a Mazda policy, doesn't matter what dealership you go to if the car wasn't serviced at any dealer no fix.
    I tried another dealer and was asked to bring the car in for inspection. I replied what will you do to determine that my brakes squeal. They said we will test drive it. What, what can you tell by just test driving the car? Did not get a reply, so no help at all..
    I know Mazda like most car manufacturers have that disclaimer but rarely enforce it. Your brake squeal has to be quite noticable ie. loud for them to replace your brake pads.

I use the rule of 3: go to three different dealers (ensuring it's not owned by the same owner). One of them is bound to replace your pads.

It's also a good idea to build a relationship with a particular dealer, even though the chances are slim to none that they are going to go to bat for your if something is iffy.
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    i have one question about RPM. this is probably a general one not just mazda3 but when the rpm is high does it make the car eat more or less gas??? and when i mean high i mean like when you're using the manual shift on the auto transmission
    I always keep my RPMs below 3000, shifting or highway speeds, lower if possible...
    In general - higher RPM will use more gas. But like every general statement there may be exceptions.
  • modockmodock Member Posts: 55
    go over to road and track and read the article about gas milage called Your Mileage May Differ:An enthusiast's guide to saving fuel.

The part i found interesting was not only do high revs cost money but so does prolonged motoring in lower gears. Moral of the story, get up to speed quickly and then get the RPM down to a lower level.
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    ok thanks ill keep that in mind