Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    hey there...well you probably cant get a handle on whats the exact problem because no one knows. basically the car just stalls. it happpened to me in summer, always when i was at a red light and was switching from break to gas pedal to go...so basically at idle or very low mileage. mazda claims they know there's a problem, but don't know how to fix it (i dont believe that too much. so nothing can be done til a)they figure it out, or b) they decide to put a recall cause they actually want to fix it.

i have a automatic 2.0 touring edition (only a few hundred made throughout north america). mine exclusively came with a special option...stalling! i believe that they probably just made a bad batch. now that winter has come and since the last time i went to the dealership, i havent had the poblem reoccur...besides that, the car is great. im not knocking mazda, cause they generally make good cars, unfortunately with the occasional lemon. so having the problem in the new 07 m3 really depends on whether, at prodution, they know what the problem is or not...after that, its a russian roulette...lemon or not.

hope i helped!
  • coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    Ok, the 2.0 with automatic transmission ... thats one combo! zoomgirl, this will be the 4th Mazda I've owned over the past 20 years. I've loved them all except the one I bought used back in the 80's. It turned out to have engine timing problems that I was never able to resolve, however, it had over 130,000 miles on it when I got it. I'm getting the 2007 3i 2.0 touring with a manual transmission. Thanks for the info!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    A number of auto part stores will read the codes for free. I know Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys do it for sure. AA prints it out for you.
  • lh180001lh180001 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2006 Mazda 3 2.0 automatic in May. Approx 10 times the car has sputtered heavily as if the engine is going to turn off. So far, this has only happened while idling at red light or at low speed. Once, the engine stalled completely - no sputter that time - at a red light. I have put a lot of highway miles on the car and so far no problems when in top gear.

Dealership says there were no "codes", they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After that conversation, they did admit it is a known problem with the purge valve. They claim a fix is coming out in mid-December, but I am doubtful as others here mentioned the same thing earlier this year. I am somewhat suspicious that it is just a way to get you out of the service department.

All that said, I actually like everything else about the car! I just hope they can get this fixed!!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Dealership says there were no "codes", they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After that conversation, they did admit it is a known problem with the purge valve. They claim a fix is coming out in mid-December, but I am doubtful

Have the problem documented by the dealership so that you have a history in case the problem reoccurs. While under warranty there shouldn't be any cost involved for you. Have you considered getting a second opinion from another dealership?
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I have a 2007 3 GT 2.3 5-speed. I only have about 2500 miles on it but i have had no issues at all with stalling or sputtering.
    have had no issues at all with stalling or sputtering

Good show! Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out for everyone. So, the thing to remember is to keep a written record. That includes your dealings with dealers, independent garages, service representatives.

I'm very happy with my 2002 Mazda Protege5. It's had no issues during the original 3 year warranty. This year, the EGR unfortunately gave way which cost me a few dollars. There was also some rust, which I had negotiated to have corrected with my dealer. On the whole, the car has been very reliable and economical to run.
    Ok! I drove off in a new 2007 3i touring 5MT today, have already bought the tag and the insurance, have 64 miles on the car ... and guess what!!!! NO PROBLEMS SO FAR! I Asked my salesman and the Service Manager to go ahead and throw in a couple of purge valves and they flashed me a "knowing" look of surprise. I also discussed the rules of the lemon law ... I don't think they like me already!!! Hey ... we'll see. I love the car!
    awesome...i hope the mazda gods look down upon u ;) ...i really hope you got a good one! happy driving!
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Im wondering if maybe the solved the problem on the 07s? Or if it dosent start till the car has so many miles on it?
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    Since Mazda has no clue or fix for the problem as of yet - I'm assuming it will still exist in the 2007's. My car was a 2004 and it had the problems - almost got killed on many occassions. I've been reading postings for people who have the problems with their 2006's so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on some 2007's. Time will tell
    brodie2, your probably right. It sounds like the purge valve might be dumping excess fuel vapor that's built up in the carbon canistor, back into the intake too quickly. This might happen after you've made a long hard run down the freeway in hot weather then stop in town at your first light. Or, it could be the PCV valve dumping excess oil vapor back into the emissions system from the non-synthetic 5W20 oil boiling off.
  • mazda3_fanmazda3_fan Member Posts: 9
    Hi All,

I have a brand new 2007 Mazda3 GT automatic. I bought it back in late October.

I find it ironic that after I read these series of posts regarding the stalling problem, I would experience it myself.

Lo and behold, last night, while I was in stop-and-go traffic at the onramp to the freeway, I experienced my first stall. The mileage read 1,958 miles.

I did my homework when I bought this car, and the stalling problem was my biggest concern, even though the pattern was erratic at best. I could no longer wait for the Nissan Versa with all the options I wanted, so I just decided to leave it all to chance. Lucky me, right?

I obviously still love my 3, despite this latest development, however it is a little annoying. My only concern is that this does not happen at high speeds. I'm sure it could potentially be fatal if I was traveling 70 mph and the car stalled. (*Knock on wood*)

From what I have read so far, it does indeed happen either at idle or very low speeds. For those who have experienced the stalling problem, could you please let me know if you had it happen to you at any speed above 10 mph?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Is this the 2.0 or the 2.3l motor?

So far (from those who've specified), the problem occurs with the 2.0 motor and automatic tranny. Is there a pattern developing here?

edit: Nevermind. I see you specified a Grand Touring. Those are only available with the 2.3.
  • brodie2brodie2 Member Posts: 32
    I have experienced this problem at a higher speed. I was making a left hand turn in a very busy intersection - in the dark - boom - car cut out - the guy behind me had to surve to miss me - he almost hit a pole trying to avoid smashing into me. My car also experienced a power surge problem -where it would take off both in forward and reverse without putting your foot on the gas pedal - very scary. Dealership could also duplicate that problem as well but once again, couldn't solve it.
    brodie2,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad the person tailing you did not hit you at that intersection.

I have heard about the power surge problem, too. Very scary, indeed.

It seems then that this is also likely to happen at a stop-and-go situation, like when you were making that left turn. Have you ever had it happen at highway speed? Or rather, during a drive that was continuous?
  • sunlitesilversunlitesilver Member Posts: 2
    Here is a list of TSB'S http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html some include stalling problems. The 2.0 engine has been redesigned to include Variable Valve Timing (2007) which might have an effect. I'm sure their will be a TSB on this issue in the near future.
    rorr,

Yes, I have the 2.3 engine. I thought the same thing, that it was possible the problem lay in the 2.0s w/ auto transmissions, but since it happened to me as well, it's clearly not the case. :(
    i only see one bulletin in the site u speak of that calls for a "engine rpm drop/engine stall"....but it says its only seen in 2004-2005 models. I'll still keep a note on the bulletin, but is there any other bulletin that i missed for the 2006 model?
    about the stalling at high speeds, i think i had read a post in this or another mazda forum where someone was actually going more than 10 miles/hour when the car stalled. apparently woke up upside down. dont quote me on this one but i think it was at about 20 miles an hour.
    I now have 200 miles on my 3 and when I came home today, I could hear a fairly loud whining noise (from inside the car)coming from the engine compartment of the 3 before I "shut her down". I left the car running, raised the hood and I found the whining noise was comeing from the power steering pump which is located by the right front fender just below the power steering fluid reservoy. I checked the internet and found a service bulletin which describes the problem exactly and it seems that I may have some air bubbles in my new assembly. Otherwise .... WOW!
    zoomgirl,

Thanks for the information. I believe I also read the same post you are talking about. It's at one of the other Mazda3 forums, possibly msprotege.com. In fact, I think that may be where I saw your handle before. :)
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    my cd changer/player crashed. it seems like a jam cause if you listen carefully you can here the little motor like humming. the display says "check cd" then "cd 2 out" im gonna go to the dealer tommorrow. just curious has anyone have this problem?
    Any one know the front end alignment specifications for the 2007 Mazda 3? Mine is great on curvey roads but dosen't "center" very well on the Interstate. Do I need to add a little toe end?
  • andyh921andyh921 Member Posts: 2
    i've had my mazda 3 for almost a year now, never had any problems until recently when i'm travelling at around 60 km/h and on the 5th gear, the engine makes some kind of squeeking sound.... my car has about 35000 km on it, can anyone tell me where the sound might be coming from? it's just driving me crazy.

thanx
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Auto or manual tranny?

Does it ever make the noise in any other gear? Same RPM in 4th?

Even make the noise while in neutral - what about if you rev up the engine?

Is your AC on / off.

Normally a squeak sound is made by a belt. If noise is when the AC is on - then I would guess AC belt is loose or worn out.

BUT
    If you have a manual tranny it could be the throw out bearing in your clutch.
  • andyh921andyh921 Member Posts: 2
    auto

i don't know about other cars

no noise while in neutral, if i rev up the engine then noise goes away.

AC off

i was thinking maybe serpentine belt.
  • ramsladramslad Member Posts: 2
    I have a brand new Mazda 3 (07 2.3 sedan). Actually, it is my second 07 mazda 3 as the first one got totalled after a Chevy Tahoe crashed into it! My problem is the steering in the new car does not feel right. It does not feel as tight as the other car, and there is a slight vibration. I took it back to the dealership but they say there is nothing wrong with it, and it meets the specs. Please, if anybody has any info I would much appreciate it.
  • jeffpurdjeffpurd Member Posts: 11
    har1 - Could I ask how this turned out for you? I have a Mazda5 with the 2.3L engine that is shared with the Mazda3 and I have what sounds like an identical situation unfolding. A rod is apparently cracked and the dealer is saying they are going to have to replace the engine. I'm trying to track down all my receipts. Interestingly, I just had the oil changed about 3 weeks ago (which I have the receipt for) before a 1000+ mile Thanksgiving trip and we started noticing a clicking sound this week. The change wasn't done by the dealer - but the dealer hasn't indicated the job was botched - they've only indicated the oil level was already low. None of the JiffyLube's around here will touch the car because of the engine and their liability concerns because of the need for special tools to do the change. Thanks.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    I had the update done to my 3's PCM. My 3 almost died the other day when backing up the gas station. The update may help with the stalling, but it certainly isn't a true fix and I expect mine to stall AGAIN.

There is also an update for poor fuel mileage, it hasn't helped in my 3 either.
  • peartree999peartree999 Member Posts: 1
    I have also encountered the same problems,with the break ins. In fact in 5 square blocks I counted 8 Mazda 3's with the same dents. Some worse than others. I couldn't figure out how they were getting in until I noticed the dent and took it to the body shop. It was there where I was told about the problem (nice of mazda to let us know). Turns out they had seen 6 already this month.I called Mazda and they had no idea what they were going to do about the problem.I' ve had to install an alarm to prevent these rubbies from routin through my car or sleeping in it for that matter.We should get as many people as possible on this and go after mazda so we can get this resolved.
    Has anyone had a Power Steering Pump Mounting Damper, Mazda part # BP4L-32-603B installed on the 3 to help reduce pump whine ? If so, what was your results? Did it help? It's only $51 bucks.
    I noticed the dent

This is alarming (pardon the pun). It appears you did not have an alarm until after this occurred unlike the previous poster (jhindson (Oct 24, 2006 6:30 pm) who seems to have had his alarm disabled.

p.s. Aren't most Mazdas equipped now with an engine immobilizer which prevents thieves from driving off with the car? This is no consolation for a damaged vehicle, but it may reduce the amount of damage.
    Hmm. Verryy interesting. Are these trailer parkers actually stealing the 3's or just vanadalizing them?

Dont expect any recall of anything from Mazda. I mean, has Honda recalled their cars because their car is the No.1 broken into vehicle?

What has happened to me and many other 3 owners is that the lock cylinder is jimmied with a screwdriver. This has happened 2x with me, once without and once with an alarm. The latter the $@! got scared off.

Mazda needs to do what the German automakers have done is to have create a cylinder plug where you no longer can insert a key or screwdrive in the door lock and open the door. The only way you could break-in is to break the window. Apparently, neither the rear driver door lock handle assembly is interchangable with the driver's.
  • draskodrasko Member Posts: 1
    Here is a link to the actual TSB that was posted in July of this year. I would think if you took this TSB number to the Dealership c/w detailed instructions on how to reprogram PCM you might have a fix. Time will tell I guess.

TSB 01-019/06
    thanks!
    the TSB calls for MPVs though...i'm sure they'll use that as an excuse to why it doesnt fix the problem. since my last fix in august, no staling problems...but i realy am workinh on my temperature/humidity theory, so the verdict is still out, at least til summer hits home again.
  • mazdaburghmazdaburgh Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2004 Mazda 3s HB. Have you heard of break-ins for this model?
  • alaswa1alaswa1 Member Posts: 1
    What was the TSB fix and did it work?
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    I have an 04 MZ3 and just recently I notice a strange rubbing noise when turning steering wheel while parking.

Sounds like the noise tires will sometimes make when driving slowly thru a parking garage that has a slick surface.

Car has only 13,000 miles and tires are fine. Maybe the noise is coming from somewhere else, possibly from under hood, but it seems to be from outside. Don't notice it at highway speeds, just when parking.

Other than a weak A/C when the temp is 90 or higher, car is fine.
    Try getting someone to stand beside your car as you steer to see if you can pinpoint from where the sound is coming and then check the area for anything visible creating the problem. OR, bring it into the shop for an inspection.

Last year, I had a funny experience with an odd sound emanating from my tires. I started hearing the sound after I had my snow tires installed that year. At first I thought, my winter tires were rubbing against the car; but that did not make sense because they did not make that sound the previous year. The sound was especially loud when turning. When I brought it into my Mazda shop for its regular servicing I asked the technician to check it. "Ok, will do". When I got the car back, the rep explained that the noise was caused by my new cheap plastic hubcaps which were flexing against the tires. The solution: grease. As I drove out I heard the noise again, whipped into the back and had them dab a bit more and presto: silence. Hope something similar happens in your case, Roger.
  • frizzitfrizzit Member Posts: 1
    2004 3 2.3L 5 door. 42,000 miles 8,000 left on warranty and I threw a rod during my normal commute. Has anyone else heard of this? Normally then protege engine is sturdy. I have been hounded for my maintenance receipts, but I do it all myself. I have access to lifts/tools at work www.mgaresearch.com . I was just wondering if anyone else has busted their block.
  • ramsladramslad Member Posts: 2
    Hi....Did you ever get your steering problem sorted out?..I have a 2007 Mazda 3S that feels loose in the steering also. I took it back to the dealer and they said everything was to the specs. I don't believe it though. Many thanks.
  • grockpilotgrockpilot Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I wanted to do my own oil changes in my Mazda3. I got a floor jack a few days ago but the manual doesn't show the jacking points (other than those for the spare tire's scissor jack). I was wondering if anyone knew the spot to raise the front. I guess I'd like to know the jacking point for the rear as well. Thanks so much!

Also, is there a reason why the 2.3L engine has a cartridge type oil filter?
  • grockpilotgrockpilot Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2006 Mazda3 s Sedan. When I turn the wheels, I always hear a wheezing/"weeeeee" noise. Is that normal or is something wrong? I don't remember if I had that noise when I first bought the vehicle - I might have or perhaps soon after I bought it. My fluid levels are at MAX and it doesn't feel any different. Any ideas? Thanks
    Probably the "electric" power steering pump. I've had my 2007 3 about a month now and the pumps whined ever since new. I think they all do to some degree. There's a service bulletin (06-002-04) for a modified mounting bracket (BP4L-32-603B) thats susposed to help but I don't know if anyone's ever tryed it.
  • ssport07ssport07 Member Posts: 1
    Are you hearing this "Whine" in the cabin? I am thinking about taking it to my dealer and seeing what they will do. It freaked me out the first time I heard it because this was the only time that I turned off my car without the radio being on and I heard the "Whine" die out.

Have you talked to the dealership about this yet?
    Yes, I hear it pretty loud from inside the car. Very annoying. I'm going to be takeing it to the dealership for this next week, plus, my 3 has now developed this loud bumping & knocking sound from the left front suspension system any time I roll over any small imperfection in the road. I'm a "conservative" driver with only 780 miles on my car since new.
    There is a TSB on a creaking noise over bumps on the road. I havent heard of a bulletin on a bumping or knocking sound though.
    It sounds like the whole left front suspension has come loose and is banging around up there. Holding a little pressure on the brakes while going over a bump seems to dampen the noise a little but it still "bumps" and "knocks". I jacked up the left front and removed the wheel just to look around. Everything seems snug and in order including the brake assembly and brake pads. Its likely to be a defective strut assembly. I've heard of this problem on other cars.

Actually, I'm not all that upset about this suspension problem because I know it can be remedied. However, the whining, whizzing, buzzing, humming power steering pump motor is another issue altogether. After reading all the complaints about this pump noise with no resolution and no design change for 2007, I guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with it. I'm 66 years old, and my initial satisfaction with this purchase has rapidly changed from a big smile to a pucker factor of 8. I'm not quite ready to say out loud what's going through my mind, but If these little aggrivations continue to crop up and I ever get a hassle from the Dealership, it's outa here! Might go get a Chevy, or a Ford! Just kidding!!!
  • 32543254 Member Posts: 1
    To comment on making onboard diagnostics available to the consumer, I had this feature on my 1985 Toyota Cressida with digital display, so I am in total agreement with you. Sadly, we may not see this again because the automotive industry have made us more and more reliant on returning to the dealer to solve our problems. I am afraid the backyard mechnic is almost dead.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have looked for a point to put a floor jack in the front of the Mazda3 and could never see a place that looked strong enough to lift the whole front end at one time. Hard to even see where a jack stand could go.

I can lift one side (both front and rear tires at the same time) of the car with a floor jack. I do this when I rotate the tires. I take a 2X4 that is about 30 inches long and place it under the side of the car - if you look close you will see a lip just under the edge of the car where a 2X4 fits great. I place the jack in the middle of the board - right under the point where the front and rear doors meet - - it helps distribute the weight and prevents any damage to the underside of the car.

If I was going to do my own oil changes I would buy a set of ramps (Walmart has them for about $30) then you can just drive up on them and lift the front end. Seems safer than a jack. NEVER GO UNDER A CAR THAT IS ONLY BEING HELD UP BY A JACK!!