Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    No, you simply need to use your brakes a bit harder; the pads are probably a bit glazed.
    I tried that when mine started to squeal a couple of weeks ago. The noise stopped and was back 2 days later. Then I washed the car last Saturday. The noise again stopped and was back on Tuesday. I'm not too worried about it, but it's loud enough that I've seen people look when I come to a stop.
  • uunfewsuunfews Member Posts: 7
    Since you seem to have a blinder on and take only what you want to read instead of what I am trying to ask.

Don't bother to respond if you don't have anything constructive to add.

I guess according to you that the people whose houses got burned deserved it too.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/01/ford_fires_newyear.html
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    Since you seem to have a blinder on and take only what you want to read instead of what I am trying to ask.

You asked a question and we responded. To be honest, I thought that you were joking about calling Mazda USA, but -incredibly- you were serious. I did check out your link. Wow! Even more hapless souls have been victimized by Mazda!!!
    It seems that you have convinced yourself that Mazda is an evil corporate monolith run by inhumane monsters who rub their hands together with undisguised glee every time one of their products incinerates a hapless consumer's house or pets. And all because you read a few negative internet posts, attempted an eccentric phone interrogation of Mazda USA, and discovered some "crusading consumer/victims" web sites. At this point it is obvious that there is no way that you would be happy with a Mazda, so save yourself the anguish and start "researching" another brand.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• brisco1967brisco1967 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased Mazda 3 in Feb of 2007, I had thoroughly researched the Mazda 3 and read mostly good things, unfortunately what I didn't research was Mazda after purchase customer service.
    On December 23, 2007 my engine seized on PA interstate 83 with barely enough power to pull over to the shoulder.
    Upon inspection, Mazda determined that the car had run out of oil, and was running without oil. No warning light alerted me, and no tell tale sign of an oil leak was present in my driveway.
    The vehicle currently has 23K miles and is well within the factory specified warranty, are they going to step up and replace the engine? NO!! They aren't.
    The dealer was going to replace the engine with the engine from a 2006 Mazda 3, with 26K miles. However they were only giving me a 30 day warranty. Even though they were doing the work. TOTALLY disgusted I found a local car repair shop that will replace the engine with one with lower mileage and a 2 year 36K warranty.
    AND is cheaper.

I wont tell people NOT to buy a Mazda, I love my car. I will tell them to buy a USED Mazda and NOT deal with the "So Called" Mazda USA customer service.
    Why did it run out of oil?
    Let me guess...
    You had a Kwicky Boob place change your oil, correct?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tarheelschiktarheelschik Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I am new to the site but am in need of some advice. I have an 04 Mazda 3S....2.3 liter....5 speed manual....and the check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago so I went to the local auto parts store to have the code read, and it came back with the code that said "upper intake runner closed." Has anyone ever heard of this or know what might be causing it? I would really appreciate the help so I dont have to pay the high price of taking it to the dealer for some minor problem that I might possibly be able to fix myself. Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!
  • silvermzda3silvermzda3 Member Posts: 17
    try searching the tech manual, http://www.icestormdesign.com/mwcc/mazda/manual/
    i took a look and could not find anything regarding the code, but, didn't do an exhaustive search. I am thinking that the upper intake runner is the fuel supply, but, i may be mistaken.
    good luck.
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    About one month ago I purchased a 08 Mazda3s,Touring, 5 door, AT. I also have a 04 Mazda6 wagon. We like both cars a lot. The question is on the 3. After driving for example to/from work which is twenty-five miles, stopping in the driveway, I hear a noise from the front of the car. The noise is from the engine area and it sounds like hollow knocking noise. Sometimes the noise will stop then start again. It doesn't sound like the engine but again a hollow knocking noise like when you make a noise with your tongue and the roof of your mouth. I have not yet taken the car to the dealer but will do so asap. Any of you Mazda 3 owners experienced this? By the way the 3 runs great, no problems at all except for the noise. Thanks
    Thanks for the help. I will check that out and see what it has to say. I also had a ticking noise coming from under the hood about 2 years ago. It was around 49000 miles I think. I took it in because the warranty expired at 50000 and they had it for a month and could not figure out the problem. They said they had contacted the Mazda people themselves and they told them to tear apart the whole top and bottom part of the motor first. They did that and still did not find the problem. Mazda finally told them to put a new motor in it and quit wasting shop hours on it so they did. About a week later the dealership called and told me they had found the problem. It turns out that a plastic piece inside the intake had broken and was just moving around in there causing it to make noise! I got a new motor for a cheap little part! Can't beat that for service. Well thanks again for the advice and if you hear of anything having to do with that code please let me know. Thanks!
    Do you know if you can buy the Variable tumble shutter valve anywhere? Guessing from the symptoms that the car is having, I am thinking that this would be the same thing as the upper intake runner closed. I am not sure, just guessing. Any ideas?
  • mazdalemonmazdalemon Member Posts: 11
    Posted earlier about my engine replacement and replacement engine failure. Ready for the update: broken Intake Manifold ?
    So after 2wks at the dealership, I can pick up my car today! Won't have all the details 'til I get there. (if they are honest about the events). I don't know if the original engine failure was misdiagnosed or if the defective intake manifold broke both engines. Anyone have ideas?
  • bonita4bonita4 Member Posts: 2
    HELLO, I'M PRETTY NEW TO THIS FORUM, I HAD RESEARCHED A LITTLE BIT ABOUT MY MAZDA 3 AFTER I BOUGHT IT. IT IS A 2005 AND WE'VE HAD IT FOR ONE YEAR AND IT HAS 52K MILES ON IT. IT JUST STARTED SHAKING ALL OF A SUDDEN WHEN THE CAR IS ON. ALSO IT KIND OF STALLS WHEN THE GEAR IS SHIFTING FROM 1 TO 2 (IT MIGHT ALSO BE BECAUSE I DON'T WARM UP THE CAR BEFORE I DRIVE IT) BUT ABOUT ONE MONTH AGO IT STARTED TURNING THE EMISSION SYSTEM LIGHT ON. I TOOK IT TO BE SERVICED AND ALL THEY TOLD ME WAS THAT THE GAS LID WASN'T ON PROPERLY? ANYWAYS, IT WENT OFF, BUT NOW IT HASN'T SHUT-OFF ANYMORE? ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT IT COULD BE? ANYTHING IS GREATLY APPRECIATED... :confuse:
  • mazdalemonmazdalemon Member Posts: 11
    Have dealer check the intake manifold. There are butterfly valves inside that can be defective and make noise. Mine was just replaced '04 Mazda3 2.3L
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Trying unlocking your ALL CAPS. This makes your posts very hard to read and generally most people won't respond.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    mazdalemon thanks for your response. When I bring the mazda3 into the dealer I'll mention the intake manifold. I'll let you all know what the dealer finds.
  • 06mazda3s06mazda3s Member Posts: 7
    That is very interesting information because I took my Auto 5 dr Hatchback to the Dealer and complained about the steering noise and he said it was loud but not out of normal range and he checked everything out to make sure it was operating properly. I did not know about the adjustable pressure of the fluid, that makes a lot of sense becasue you notice it the most when parking and do not really hear it at all on highway.
    Thanks for the story.
  • shygrl1387shygrl1387 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 3sp '05... I bought new rain ex wiper blades because the ones that came with the car were horrible. However, no matter who puts the blades on they (primarily the driver side) constantly fall off. Every time I get in the car I have to pull the wiper blade to tighten it up before hitting the road otherwise it will fall right off, and who wants that when your driving down the freeway going 65mph. How can I get my wiper blades to stay on, so I don't have to make sure they are tighten each time I get in the car? Do I need to get a tool to tighten the J clip part of my wiper arm or what do I need to do? :confuse:
  • wildthingwildthing Member Posts: 25
    Got a letter in the mail yesterday from Mazda saying they now have a program in place to offer Mazda 3 owners with free reinforcements to doors in order to improve Mazda 3 security. Apparently Mazda 3's are being targeted for break-in's in certain unnamed cities and If I happen to live in one of those unamed cities, my dealer will be contacting me when the required parts are in to upgrade my door entry system...all for no charge.

In addition, the letter went on to say that Mazda is recommending that Mazda 3 owners get some sort of after market motion detection entry detection system as added security and Mazda is offering up to $100 to help deal with the purchase and installation of these devices.

Anyone else get this letter and if so, have you followed up with the installations ?? :confuse:
    I own an 04 Mazda 3, and have had it since the beginning of 05, and have not received a letter regarding this yet. It sounds like something they should be contacting us all about, unless it is the owners of Mazda's in certain cities. Did it list the cities that were being targeted?
  • gretsch6120gretsch6120 Member Posts: 48
    WIldthing said, "break-in's in certain unnamed cities".
    Thanks for the heads up WildThing. I just bought a 2007 hatchback. Not good news. Please keep us updated on your experience with upgrading the car doors as well as the security system use choose to install if you end up doing that.
    Appreciate it!
    I probably should have added that the letter came from Mazda Canada and specifically referred to "reports received have been isolated to a few Canadian cities ", which they don't name.

As mentioned they also suggest "if you have not done so already, you may wish to consider the purchase of a shock sensor alarm system", for which Mazda will "rebate to you up to $100 towards the purchase and installation...". This offer is valid until March 1, 2008.

I'm waiting for the call from my dealership but if I havn't heard from them in a couple of weeks I will call them.

As for the after market sensor system, I don't plan on getting one....any car can be stolen....thieves can defeat any system. The Mazda's already include an engine immobalizer which at least keeps the amateurs away..the professionals are going to get the car no matter what system you have...just my $0.02..
    That's very true about anyone being able to steal it if they want it. Thanks for heads up about the letter, and let us know how it all turns out and what you end up doing about it!
    Mazda's 3 year Roadside Assistance Program has run out on my Mazda 3. Has anyone in Canada tried to extend this program and if so, what did Mazda charge you for the extension.

Not sure if Mazda will even allow you to extend. GM did it for a GM car I owned a number of years ago for a nominal annual fee.

What are my other Roadside Assistance program options (CAA ??)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The CAA program is probably the better value.
    Ordinarily you would be right except I forgot to add that I have to cover the family, essentially four drivers and since the CAA membership covers individuals and not cars I'm looking at about $300 + for all four of us,,,,Is this still cheaper than what Mazda would charge for extended coverage for the car ??
  • zoomgirlzoomgirl Member Posts: 13
    i just got my car broken into last week, same dent, just under my window...and what a piss off. if it wasnt for the mess they left from emptying out my glove compartment, i would have never noticed!!! how can it be so easy and nothing is being done??? ur posts are from 2006 which really disappoints, has nothing been done since? the cop that called me back regarding the theft (or vandelizing) said that mazda is on their way to getting a recall letter out. when i called my dealer, they confirmed that they were aware of the probem and there was in fact a recall...i will just keep busting til i get it fixed! kind of erry when you think that when i bought the car, it was voted car of the year in terms of security, and now it's the yr's most stolen car...i could just imagine the field trip the insurance will have with this! :mad:
    has nothing been done ... mazda is on their way to getting a recall letter out

See post 4196.
    bought new rain ex wiper blades because the ones that came with the car were horrible. However, no matter who puts the blades on they (primarily the driver side) constantly fall off. Every time I get in the car I have to pull the wiper blade to tighten it up before hitting the road otherwise it will fall right off

The blades should snap into place. Show it to your local mechanic the next time you need service. The Bose blades I use are excellent and durable. I have used RainX, but only the liquid applied to the windshield.
  • namiboynamiboy Member Posts: 19
    :( well my wife traded in her 2005 mazda 3 for a 2008 scion xb. i wouldn't have even thought of looking at an xb but she wanted to. it's got a 2.4liter/158hp camry engine, and it handles surprisingly well, so i guess i can live with it. the air blows real well too, even on 1. so, good luck friends.
  • shygrl1387shygrl1387 Member Posts: 5
    I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here... I know they are suppose to click, and they do but they will loosen up and then fall off, thats why I keep pulling them tight. I think the wiper arm is bad. My uncle who is a mechanic said that I need a tool to tighten up the J hook part, for example like squeeze it in to make the gap smaller so the blades fits more tightly and stays in place. Does that make sense. Also, the RainX is a brand of wiper, I'm not trying to use any kind of fluid just a straight up wiper blade. Someone let me know what they think.
  • dbnstldbnstl Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 Mazda3 with 12000 miles and the transmission fluid is brown! it already looks like dirty motor oil, dealer said this is normal and I should change the tran. fluid "whenever it looks like it needs it". The owners manual says nothing about changing transmission fluid, it's not even in the maitenance schedule! Am i the only mazda owner with this problem?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I have an '06 Mazda3 s 5-door that I purchased new in 12/05. It has 48k miles on it, mostly highway. Back around 5k at the first oil change, I realized that it was almost a quart low on oil. The oil 'consumption' continued and I had to add a quart around 2500-3000 miles after an oil change to get me to the 5k mark where I usually changed it. The dealership where I bought it assured me that one quart per 3k miles is considered normal. I just made a routine of checking the oil at each refueling and topped it off as needed. There was never a drop of oil in my garage, parking spot at work or anywhere in the engine compartment. No sign of oil leaking into the combustion chamber either (no exhaust smoke or smell).

Then last week, as I merged onto the expressway heading home from work, I started hearing a rattling noise. It seemed to only be under very light acceleration and right around 3000rpm then it would subside. I dropped it off at the dealership near my office the next morning and got a call two hours later informing me that I needed a NEW ENGINE!!! They asked me to fax over all of my maintenance records so they could submit a 'request' for the repair under warranty. I was panicked to say the least, even though I had all my receipts and oil changes were done well within the 7500 mile intervals required in the owner's manual. I felt sure the process would be a living hell and I'd have to fight to get a new engine on their dime.

I faxed my receipts to them the next afternoon and the following morning they called to tell me my engine had been ordered already! They also told me they had a loaner reserved in my name and were sending their courtesy van to pick me up so I could get it ASAP and keep it for 2-3 weeks until my car is ready.

I'm very impressed by the way this has been handled. Prior to this car, I had only owned Honda/Acura vehicles. One of my Accords was out of commission for a full week (under warranty, waiting for parts) and the Honda dealer as well as the Regional American Honda representative refused me a loaner vehicle.

Now I'm just wondering how the new engine will impact resale value?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Now I'm just wondering how the new engine will impact resale value?
    I would think a brand new engine should be a bonus on a car with 48K miles. By the way, what is included in the "new engine"? Is it the engine block? Does it include components like the water pump? In theory, the more new materials that are included the longer the vehicle should last.
    need a tool to tighten up the J hook part
    OK. I understand what you mean. I can see it loosening over time; sounds like time for the vice-grips. If that doesn't work, I'd call a scrap yard or the dealer for the part.

RainX is a brand of wiper
    RainX http://www.rainx.com/ sells many products including wipers. I use their liquid treatment.
    Am i the only mazda owner with this problem?

The problem is that your dealer's advice is essentially worthless. Does the fluid smell burnt? Put a drop on a clean paper towel and check to see if there are any particles in the fluid. If the fluid smells and looks OK I would change it at 30,000 mile intervals, which is what my dealer(Kings Mazda- Cincinnati) recommends for both manual and automatic transaxles.

• mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    Hey All,
    I have a 2004 Mazda 3, 2.3L with about 65K miles. Yesterday I was driving down the road and my tranny slipped from 4th gear to 3rd, the AT light came on along with a CEL. I pulled the code and looked at my freeze frame info (engine was at 2200 rpm, and 42MPH at the time) and the code thrown was "P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction". After I pulled the code (I did NOT clear it) and restarted the car the CEL went off and all seems well. I put the car through its paces today and it is driving fine, so I am guessing there is a wire lead to that sensor that is grounding out, or it is just a flakey sensor.

any ideas? I don't even know where the sensor is located or what the wiring harness looks like. Has anyone replaced a speed sensor on a Mazda 3? I don't want to pay mazda hundreds of dollars to install a little sensor, and I don't want to pay $100 for a code pull "diagnostic" that I have already done for myself...Thanks for the help fellas.
  • duanecduanec Member Posts: 2
    Is it the fuel filter? Is so, where is the fuel filter located? If not, any suggestions?
    Out of curiosity mazdazoom, how did you pull the code? Is it something we can do without a machine? Does it display on the dashboard computer?

Look forward to your reply,
    Andy
  • mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    Hi Andy,
    You have to have an ODB II Code Scanner. Now, Autozone usually has these and they will pull a trouble code for you for free. I have a software program that I purchased from autoenginuity.com that comes with an ODB II adapter. You install the software on your laptop or palm, patch into the car and it will pull ALL KINDS of captured data from the computer. Everything from trouble codes, engine temp, speed, O2 sensor readings, everything. You can even run it REAL TIME and capture info as you drive to help troubleshoot problems.

Considering most dealers charge you for pulling codes and clearing codes, this thing pays for it self after two or three uses. I have used a handful of times on my own cars, and on lots of friends and family. Any car built after 1996 has an ODB-II scan port, so the applications are many with this tool. Hope this helps, I highly recommend the software.
  • avlmzda3avlmzda3 Member Posts: 1
    I think Mazda has a problem with their engines!! My 2004 Mazda3 only had 29000 miles on itwhen i discovered a rattling at around 3000 RPM. I took it to my local dealer and they said they would call me later that day to tell me it was finished and i could pick it up. NOT THAT EASY!!! I recieved a call telling me that they would have to keep my car and check it out further. They called the next morning to tell me that it was a lower rod bearing that had spun and they wanted to see my maintenance records. I do all maintenance regularly and personally. I save money and am sure that the job is done correctly. They were not happy with just the reciepts that i gave them for oil and filter purchases. They told me that i would have to buy a new engine and they would not cover it under warranty. What a mess!!!!!!!! I had the engine replaced, because what is a car worth without an engine. It cost me nearly $9,000 and i was shocked that i couldn't find anything cheaper out there, unless the engine had 80-90k on it, what good would those engines do me? I was never happy with the decision and they never offered me a car to use while mine was being repaired, making me very angry. What is the deal with the engines, and how do i keep this from happening again, short of selling my car and moving on? I now own a $34,000 mazda, pretty expensive for a mazda, could have bought an RX8 and went on vacation.
    igozoomzoom, You mention you do your service regularly and personally. How did you void your warranty? What after market mods did you perform on your engine? - No matter how minor you may feel they were.

I find it hard to believe a new engine wouldn't be covered under warranty unless they felt there had been unlicensed/hobiest tinkering -- hence the request for past maintenance records.

Maybe this is going too far but your screen name has zoomzoom in it and you mention a sportscar, RX8. Come'on, what did you do to this car that didn't work out as planned. ;)
    I'd like to hear the other side of this story...

ER -- my mistake, avlmzda3 I'm replying to you. So my zoomzoom and RX8 comment is null.
  • silverhuntersilverhunter Member Posts: 9
    I have also had a very bad experience with Honda. An 06 Pilot that I could not keep out of their shop. the service department was okay but the management at the dealership offered me to trade it back to them for $3k and the regional and national honda people refused to do anything beyond offering me an extended waranty (this car needed that and more)

I am thinking of the mazda3 i touring. Where was that great dealer that you dealt with? I am in the boston area (south).

Do you know if the marginal safety ratings of the 3 are with or without side curtain airbags?
    Do you know if the marginal safety ratings of the 3 are with or without side curtain airbags?

Without.

• mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Sorry, this might sound dumb but i wanted to know... Early this morning driving in a residential area (speed limit 35), a family member using my car, got a flat tire. The thing is that i know that they were not driving over speed limit (slow driver) so is it possible for the flat driving 35 mph to cause a split in a alloy wheel? Also, the side of my bumper "unhooked" from the body which of course caused the bottom of it to get scraped! :mad: The thing i don't get is (on my old Protege) when a tire blew driving on the freeway, it did not cause damage like this; my wheel just had some minor scratches and nothing happened to the body of the car.
    Also, several months ago, my TPMS light went on & i had Mazda check it & all 4 tires were below pressure; is that weird a thing to have all 4? I hope i don't have bad tires.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like they hit a pothole doesn't it?
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Possibly but the funny thing is that i drove the same route earlier in the day & don't ever remember seeing any potholes. it's a newer area so the road is nice. ???
    All i can say is that this is a expensive flat tire!
    Also, several months ago, my TPMS light went on & i had Mazda check it & all 4 tires were below pressure; is that weird a thing to have all 4? I hope i don't have bad tires.

The tire pressures were probably adjusted while the ambient air temperature was very warm. As the ambient temperature drops so does the tire pressure- which is what I suspect happened in your case.

Possibly but the funny thing is that i drove the same route earlier in the day & don't ever remember seeing any potholes. it's a newer area so the road is nice. ???

Are there any high curbs?