Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• joeduppajoeduppa Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone out there done maintenace @ the 48,000 mile mark. just curious what was done and the approx cost. I have a '06 Mazda 3 sedan 2.5l Grand touring. Also, need new tires soon, anu ideas? thanks. Joe
  • joeduppajoeduppa Member Posts: 3
    I live in Nj. there are some places that put Nitrogen in the tires. Nitrogen supposedly does not expand or contract with ambient temp. Just once in Nov, it went from 60 deg to less then 30 in 24 hours.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    No high curbs either. Just nice smooth, wide roads.
    I've heard about nitrogen too. The Toyota near me uses nitrogen & Costco.
    What happens if your tire blows out, will it explode? :D
    I was thinking of getting nitrogen put into my tires.

*Thank you guys for the replies! (I guess i have a slight case of bad luck!)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've been doing nitrogen in my tires for about 9 months now. I'll have to do a follow up to this blog entry, but it about covers my thoughts on it...

Nitrogen: A Noble Gas?
    Great blog! Please keep us updated. It'll be great info to have!

*Okay, thanks again to everyone who replied to my post! :)
    I found out today how all the damage happened. Even though she was driving at a low speed, it happened while taking a turn...
    I need to replace the rim (which got bent, not split; i saw it at night) & tire. Then have to go to the body shop to repair the bumper & paint; a piece of it came off so can't "pop it back in". Oh well... sh** happens.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ah, so she did hit something. That's what I thought. Probably a curb.
  • gcolunigcoluni Member Posts: 2
    A dealer is telling me that I have an issue with loose butterflies in my intake. I am not sure that I believe them. Should an engine light go on? On my 2004 Mazda 3 there is a clicking noise when I am idling and you can hear it up until 1500 rpm. When you rev the engine above that there is no noticable difference. Do you think this could be the issue? How much did and should it cost you to get the intake manifold replaced (they quoted me 850)? Is there anyway to test this before having someone work on the car?
    check this out: (it's for 2003 but maybe also 2004)

(from Wikipedia)

"the 2003 Mazda Protege had a critical recall involving loose screws in the intake manifold entering the combustion chamber and damaging the engine, sometimes irrecoverably. The culprit screws come from the two butterfly valve systems housed in the intake manifolds of almost all 2.0 litre third-gen Proteges. Not all 2003 models were affected, a dealership can check based on your VIN. The recall issue has been reported to happen to some outside of the recall range, with limited success obtaining repairs from the dealership."

If I were you I'd mention the recall and stamp your feet up and down. Are you the original owner? Maybe you could call Mazda and ask for repair assistance on their goof-up, even though you are probably out of warranty by now.
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Member Posts: 27
    hi i have a 2006 mazda 3 s grand touring with the bose cd changer. the cd changer is acting but working. and the car's warranty is done. so i was planning on replacing the changer myself since i have replaced a changer on a mazda mpv before. now my qeustion is does the mazda 3 have a code i gotta enter on the unit after i install it to unlock it??? i heard some cars like the honda accord for instance have a code you gotta enter to get the unit working. the mpv did not have code to enter but i was just wondering if the mazda 3 does.

thanks
  • remleremle Member Posts: 1
    Hey I have a similar problem with my 2006 mazda3 2.0L. The last few times I started it I heard the engine turn but not as strongly as it used to before it actually started up. Then this morning, it wouldn't ever start up, but it sounded like it was trying. I had to hold the ignition for close to 30 seconds before the engine slowly gained rpms to the point where it finally was self sufficient to hold its idle rpm speed. Does this sound familiar? Then I brought it to an aftermarket place where they couldn't recreate the problem. Hopefully this is a unique problem that's not indicative of mazda's reliablity...I feel like it's already time to sell my car and move back with toyota.
  • mazdalemonmazdalemon Member Posts: 11
    If you see my other posts, I've had ongoing problems so the dealership ended up covering the cost of the replacement intake manifold. At first they thought my replacement engine was acting up but after two painful weeks of working on the engine and importing a Mazda tech from another dealership, they found the noise to be the butterfly valves in intake manifold. I'm coming up on my first 3K oil change and the car is very quiet. I guess, I would trust them. I've seen other postings referencing this issue. Good Luck! Let me know how you make out.
  • networkguynetworkguy Member Posts: 53
    I can hear a ticking noise when idling that sounds similar to a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. It increases in speed with revs. It's not what one would ordinarily consider a 'healthy' sound. The tech at the dealership says it's coming from the high pressure fuel injectors and that all the DISI engines make the same noise. After owning it for a year, I can't say I've noticed any real problem with the engine, but the noise seems louder than when I bought it. Anybody else with a Mazdaspeed 3, MS6 or CX7 hearing this same kind of noise?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Anybody else with a Mazdaspeed 3, MS6 or CX7 hearing this same kind of noise?

Only when I'm outside the car; my MS3 has @12.5K on it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thanx for the response. They didn't have another MS3 on the lot for me to listen to the day I had mine checked. I can only hear it outside the car or with the windows down too.
    I can only hear it outside the car or with the windows down too.

Noises can drive you nuts. Several years ago at a HPDE I missed a shift in my 3 Series and saw the tach needle go @1000 rpm past the redline. I pulled into the pits and listened to the motor- I could swear it was making a loud ticking noise I hadn't heard before. Fortunately a friend was there with an identical car; she pulled it up next to mine and guess what? They sounded identical. And 105,000 miles later the car is still running strong...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

With the exception of a warranty covered CEL, the car has been flawless. I'm just shy of 15,000 miles. The explanation given by the tech sounded plausible, considering the pressure at the injectors. It's just when I hear the phrase 'They all do that', it triggers the 'blowing me off' alarm. Since I'm the only one I know with this model, it's really nice to hear some confirmation from a fellow enthusiast who is not on Mazdas payroll ;). Thanx again.
    With the exception of a warranty covered CEL, the car has been flawless. I'm just shy of 15,000 miles.

That's been my experience as well. I've had one CEL, and it went off on its own. I later had the shutter valve recall, so that probably fixed the problem for good. My biggest problem is deciding whether to get the Mazdaspeed CAI or the Cobb SRI... ;)
    In any event, I'm glad I was able to help.

I later had the shutter valve recall, so that probably fixed the problem for good.

That's what they replaced on mine prior to issuing the recall. I'm thinking about the Mazda CAI. I'm too busy/lazy to pull out a 3rd party aftermarket part before a dealership service appointment. I was thinking about the cat back exhaust too, but I've heard the stock exhaust is actually pretty good.
    I'm too busy/lazy to pull out a 3rd party aftermarket part before a dealership service appointment.

I'm going to check with my dealer and see if the Cobb will cause any warranty hassles. I like the Mazda CAI but for the fact that you have to pull the undertray and the wheelwell liner in order to access the filter for cleaning... :mad:

I was thinking about the cat back exhaust too, but I've heard the stock exhaust is actually pretty good.

Me too; based on what I've read on some of the Mazdaspeed forums the stock MS3 cat-back exhaust is more than adequate until you start cranking up the boost- which is something I don't plan to mess with.

• mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    I realize I am responding to my own post, but I thought someone might find this useful. In regards to the 0715 error message Mazda agreed with me that it was the "speed sensor" located near the bottom of the tranny near the firewall, or the pulse generator located at the top of the tranny right under the battery box. Well I replaced the speed sensor myself and I still had the problem. So I went out and picked up a pulse generator (another sensor similar to the speed sensor) and replaced it myself. BINGO, that was the culprit, and the tranny is shifting better than it ever has. So just an update, if you get the P0715 error, it is either the speed sensor or the pulse generator sensor, I just replaced both sensors for good measure, $160 total. Save yourself the $200 in labor and swap it out, took me about an hour with test driving. ;)
  • tarheelschiktarheelschik Member Posts: 7
    What all did the recall entail about the shutter valve, and how do I go about finding out about having mine checked out? My CEL has been on for a few months now, and when I had the code read, I believe it said something about the shutter valve, and then once about the upper intake runner closed or something to that effect.
    What all did the recall entail about the shutter valve, and how do I go about finding out about having mine checked out?

Check with you dealer and see if your VIN falls within the range affected by the recall. In most cases the valve is replaced and the PCM(engine computer) is reflashed.

• comet2003comet2003 Member Posts: 3
    :( Hello all MazdaSpeed3 and Mazda3 owners.

I own a 2007 Speed3 with only 6500 miles which began belching blue smoke. A trip to the dealer resulted in the dealer being instructed by Mazda Tech to hold my car and order a new Turbo. The replacment Turbo is on national backorder at this time. I've since learned that my car is among a number of Speed3s which are requiring replacment of the Turbo.

I have not seen any postings of this problem here, so unfortunately I guess I'm the first to report this here at Edmunds.
    You could drive the car this way I think. Sounds like the bearings are loose in the turbine or the compressor side. This is often caused by poor lubrication or very dirty oil--but rarely at this low mileage.
    Hi, i need your guys help again. This tire blowout incident is becoming a costly headache!!! After a week i got my car back & was recommended to do a alignment. The impact of whatever the tire struck (or vice versa) was so hard they said there was a hole in the tire (explains the bent rim & bumper damage). The front where it happens makes a pop, "boing" noise when the wheel is turned lock to lock. Also on that side, when i drive & go over certain bumps, you hear & feel a knock.
    I had a alignment done today but still noticed some things and wondered if someone could tell me if i might be so i can have it checked & hopefully fixed...

1. steering wheel still not centered, turned slightly to right & hear a "rubbing sound when i turn it.
    2. when i drive & go over certain bumps, you hear & feel a knock.
    3. makes a pop, "boing" noise when the wheel is turned lock to lock (something in strut, suspension?).
    Much appreciation & Thanks in advance!!
  • tarheelschiktarheelschik Member Posts: 7
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I called the Mazda dealer that is around here, and they ran my VIN, and they said there are no current recalls for my car, and that the only one they have on file that was for my car was back in 2004, and that was for an air bag sensor that they fixed already. So everything checks out I guess. I just need to find out what is going on with the stinkin CEL now!
    I had a alignment done today but still noticed some things and wondered if someone could tell me if i might be so i can have it checked & hopefully fixed...

I'd suspect ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, bent strut(s), or strut bearings- in that order.

I have not seen any postings of this problem here, so unfortunately I guess I'm the first to report this here at Edmunds.

As you probably know, the problem has been discussed on some of the more technical oriented Mazdaspeed boards since mid December. It's appears to occur with greater frequency on modded cars which have had one or both cats removed. Stock MS3s have been affected as well, but less frequently. I figure that if mine is bad it will likely fail before the powertrain warranty runs out...

• gcolunigcoluni Member Posts: 2
    Did you see a decrease in your gas millage before you had the work done on your car?
  • mazdalemonmazdalemon Member Posts: 11
    Have not seen anything crazy in gas usage. The only symptoms for me was noise. Pre Engine replacement in the Spring '07: never tracked gas mileage. Pre Intake Manifold replacement in January '08: tracked highway mileage was pretty close to 30MPG - 27MPG highway. I have my first 3K oil change tomorrow. Want them to check engine a 2,500 rpm - seems rough but I could be paranoid now.
    Okay, i got my wheel alignment done & all tires are properly inflated; i'm still experiencing increased fuel consumption. What else could be the cause?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    See message 4252 for some structural problems.
    When you say increased fuel consumption what exactly does that mean (i.e. what were you expecting to see and what do you get).
    I wrote all that down for when i get the chance to take my car in again...
    I just noticed that since the incident, my car is eating more gas than normal. I just filled up the other day and didn't drive much afterward and a quarter tank was already gone. Usually it takes more driving for it to go down that much. :confuse:
    I just filled up the other day and didn't drive much afterward and a quarter tank was already gone. Usually it takes more driving for it to go down that much

Interesting. Yesterday, I was listening to a mechanic on TV explain how the colder air in winter requires the engine to consume more gas.

I believe fuel efficiency should be measured over a long period (e.g. one year) to get a realistic reading. My Protege5 has been averaging 25mpg for several years until one week it plummeted to under 20; it was quickly evident that I had a problem, turned out to be the EGR valve. I agree with you that the next time you have your car serviced that you mention your fuel consumption concerns to your mechanic.
    Thanks for your input! I will it mention next time my car goes in...

At least i know it's not the weather, where i am, we've been in the 70's & yesterday almost 80. :blush:
  • comet2003comet2003 Member Posts: 3
    :) Hello Roadburner and other Speed3 and Mazda3 owners. I am happy to report that I've just returned from the dealer with my repaired car. To recap, I own a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 in stock condition which began smoking with only 5000 miles and progressively got worse until I took it to the dealer for repairs @ 6500 miles. The dealer replaced the turbo and all associated parts under warranty. All I can say is " WOW, this car never felt like this before".
    The dealer replaced the turbo and all associated parts under warranty. All I can say is " WOW, this car never felt like this before".

Glad to hear it. Mine is still good at 13K.

• mazda3issexymazda3issexy Member Posts: 1
    The problem is I did the same thing and no matter what style RainX you get they all will not fit. I don't know why. The ones I reccomend are the Anco Contuors. They work great and look great.
  • nocentsnocents Member Posts: 1
    Mazdazoom, I just have a question as to where you got your ''speed sensor'' or the pulse generator from. I'm having a hard time finding either. Maybe from a dealership? :confuse:
  • mazdazoommazdazoom Member Posts: 43
    Yup, dealership. I paid about $120 for the speed sensor, and about $60 for the pulse generator. I think the pulse generator was the main culprit but since I was in there and had the parts I just replaced both of them, it was super easy. Just remove the battery box and you have access to the pulse generator on the top of the tranny, and i actuall went under the car on the bottom of the tranny and replaced the speed sensor. Both are held in place with one bolt/nut, use your jack stands etc and be safe :). Good luck.
  • jdh008jdh008 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys...I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with about 6000 miles on it. I had the tire pressure light come on about two months ago. I filled the low tire up and it went off. Three weeks later it came on again. Same story. Three weeks later it did it again. After monitoring it for the last couple times it has done this, I've noticed that it loses about 5 psi a week in that front passenger side tire. There is no damage to the tire and no nail or anything stuck in the tire as far as I can tell. The leak just seems so slow for it to be any serious damage. Maybe it's a valve stem problem. I'm guessing the best thing is just to take it in? Is this completely uncommon?
    There is no damage to the tire and no nail or anything stuck in the tire as far as I can tell. The leak just seems so slow for it to be any serious damage. Maybe it's a valve stem problem. I'm guessing the best thing is just to take it in? Is this completely uncommon?

A tire on my Wrangler lost air at an even lower rate and it was a nail. As for the valve stem, try brushing some soapy water on the stem and see if it bubbles.You can buy an inexpensive valve stem core removal tool as well as replacement cores if that is the problem.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I agree 5 psi per week is too much. I'd take it to a Discount Tire or some such place and have it check out. There very well could be a small nail that you don't see, or a valve stem problem as roadburner noted. Either way you're probably looking at less than $20. Let us know what you decide.
    There very well could be a small nail that you don't see, or a valve stem problem as roadburner noted.

... or you could have run over something sharp that caused the damage and then dislodged. The water bubbles test is what my garage used to find my leak.
    I am still having issues with my tire pressure. Pretty much every week i have it check and at least 1 is low. Just had it checked at Discount Tire several days ago and 2 of them were low; the lowest one was my newest tire. I told them about the issue i was having and they checked my tires and found nothing. Also there haven't been any changes in weather temps. It's kinda of annoying problem for a newer car. Keep us posted pls!
  • jdh008jdh008 Member Posts: 3
    So here's the exciting conclusion. I took it to the dealer and at first they said it was a small nail and it was fixed. I drove it away but had low pressure again the very next morning. I took it back where they told me that they had been looking at the wrong tire yesterday. So they either lied about the nail to make it look like they had fixed something or there happened to be a nail in another tire. When the service consultant came back he told me that they couldn't find a puncture or anything but they re-mounted the tire and replaced the valve stem core. That is up to the minute and I'm going to find out tomorrow morning whether or not the issue is resolved. I'll keep ya posted.
  • laser92awdlaser92awd Member Posts: 2
    Please do let us know - I have the exact same problem with similiar circumstances. I have a 2007 Mazda 3 5-door. The right front tire continues to trigger the TPMS, for me it's about every 3-4 weeks. When I check it, it is slightly low - around 27psi. I fill it back to 32psi and a few weeks later it happens again. I have sprayed the tire with soapy water (and the valve stem) and found no bubbles. It seems to be gradual (just over 1psi per week). I have hesitated to take it into a tire dealer until I determine where the TPMS sensor is mounted. (I don't want an uninformed mechanic to loose the sensor it if my tire has to be removed from the wheel). It's done this now for several months - it doesn't seem to be getting any worse (or any better).
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Battery finally died Friday night when the wife was out alone...thank G-d for that roadside assistance...got to her in about 30 minutes. Replaced the battery with an Interstate one the next morning. Lucky to get that many months down here in South Florida.
    Almost at the 45k mark and only have 1 oil change left on the prepaid maintenance policy that we bought. Would I do it again...? NO! But the wife said she'd do it in a heartbeat with her next car. She said it made her get the car serviced on a more regular basis.
    Will definitely be going back to the 5k or 6k oil change interval after the policy ends.

The Sandman :)
    Will definitely be going back to the 5k or 6k oil change interval after the policy ends.

Your naturally aspirated engine should do fine with that interval; I've been running Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Mazdaspeed and the used oil analysis indicates that 5K intevals are fine.