Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Well you certainly know how to put together a true scientific study.
  • ingenue007ingenue007 Member Posts: 12
    I bought my mazda 3 less than 3 weeks ago and negotiated the price to 100+ under invoice without including the 500 rebate yet. This was on a car with options that only one dealer within TX had. Maybe the car is less hot here and they are willing to negotiate more.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Can this - $300 below invoice be true - on a car that is so HOT that no one will discount it!

Bill, do you mean "hot" as in selling fast, or "hot" as in your air conditioning?

:P

Meade
    Agreed -- it's kinda making me wonder how accurate all the cooling, grinding, thumping, and gauge-criticizing comments are. It's getting harder and harder to differentiate fact from emotion.

Meade
  • chacobleuchacobleu Member Posts: 228
    I live and work in northern New Jersey. My commute is 36 miles one-way. Whether at work or at home, there is a Mazda dealer not 2 miles away, yet we (+wife) chose Wayne Mazda for our Mazda 3; 2nd purchase from Wayne Mazda in 3 years. The dealer closest to home didn’t want to deal in our first Mazda ever (MPV) – take it or leave it – attitude. Well, we chose the latter, forever. The dealer closest to my job spewed too much BS to be taken seriously. Above all this, neither dealer came close to having the stock of Wayne Mazda. In fact, looking at the next 3 closest dealers (outside the ones mentioned here already), no one came close to Wayne Mazda’s stock.

Since the MPV has been trouble free, I can’t comment on their after repair service. I’ve read one other praise of Wayne Mazda in this forum. I don’t recall any stories that drum up night mares. So, it would seem that the after sales service must be at least descent.

Our first purchase a few years back was conducted out of a trailer, while they awaited town approval for their new structure. At the time, only their repair garage was operating. It kind of reminded me of a boiler room operation. But we went through with the purchase and have not regretted it one bit. Besides we got the deal we wanted. With the purchase of the Mazda 3, their environment changed, but their attitude didn’t; which is a good thing. BTW – they’ll deal over the internet (not sure about the phone, though). They are not like others that beg you to e-mail for a quote and then reply with something ridiculous like “….the ever changing auto market…so please come in to our showroom to receive your best price quote.”

Well, it can’t be all good, right? Right! The handful of times I’ve visited, they were always busy. So, there may be a waiting time. In fact, the last time I was there (a few days ago), I had company while I waited. But it is all well worth the wait.

Oh, and my 05 Mazda 3s 5-Speed Lava Orange Hatch – kind of speaks for itself.
    I don't know to many folks who brag about paying MSRP. It reminds me when the Honda Oddy first came out and everyone was paying MSRP+ and waiting 6 months. Of course nobody on edmunds was paying MSRP, most were bragging they paid $500 below invoice. Maybe somebody somewhere did, but was that the real world norm? no way..

Like I said earlier. A deal can be found on anything. some versions of the 3 are easier to get than others.... But a large number of folks have paid MSRP or very close on the MZ3. I was just posting real world sales information we get from Mazda and our own internal sales... Of course the resident expert knows all and appearantly mazda makes up the data they have.
    The one thing our expert hasnt addressed is if the car isnt selling consistatnly with little discounts why isnt there any rebates or incentives? Why would they change model years without incentives? why don't dealers have the number of 3 instock they want and need??
    I await the expert's answers!

Meade
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I don't claim to know everything about everything - I do know a little bit about a lot of things - and a lot about a few things - I also don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong or when I make a mistake -

One time I thought I had made a mistake - and admitted it - then I found out that I DID NOT if fact make an error - so the mistake I made was admitting a mistake when I was really correct. I will never make that mistake again!

Hard to understand how all of these buyers are posting that they are paying less than INVOICE yet some still try and claim that 7 out of 10 pay MSRP or more.

Does the resident sales expert know the difference between MSRP and INVOICE?

I know that some companies give the sales department "bad" information -

I have seen the information be slanted so it looked like the company was making more than it really was - so the sales staff did not feel bad about all the money that the company was losing (plus the best sales people will bolt from a company if they think it is going down the tubes) - Also seen the information put together so that it showed the company was making a lot less that they really were - because if the sales people knew that the company was making a large profit they would want larger commissions - or would want to start lowering the sales price.

So unless you are the owner of the company - or have access to the "real" numbers - you really don't know if the information you are getting is complete - or just what management wants you to think is real.

BTW -my grinding & thumping problems have been fixed.
    ....So unless you are the owner of the company
    .....or just what management wants you to think is real.

I am a partial owner and in senior management......any more questions?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Hard to understand how all of these buyers are posting that they are paying less than INVOICE yet some still try and claim that 7 out of 10 pay MSRP or more."

Easy to understand if you realize that way less than 1% of car buyers actually participate here in Edmunds. You are making the mistake of assuming that buying experiences reported here are representative of the other 99% of folks who never visit Edmunds to report. I would also take a few of the 'deals' reported here with a huge grain of salt. What we DON'T know is how badly some of these folks may have been raked over the coals regarding the value of their trade-ins.

I have no data to back this up but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Mazda3 buyers are buying their FIRST new car with the 3. If this is the case, these rookie buyers may not really have a good feel for the negotiation process and simply take the salesman's word with regard to what the dealership can sell the car for.
  • saabsvtsaabsvt Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading these posts for a while now since I'm interested in the Mazda3. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just got an e-mail quote of $300 over invoice for a Mazda3 with ABS/SAB/SAC. No trade-in and no negotiation beyond the original quote yet. The dealer is in Virginia, FWIW.

David
    Take advantage of the deal and enjoy the car. You'll love it!!

anywhere near the Va horse park in Lexington? I was just there last month for a horse show...beautiful area.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    With our coupons, we got our silver 3 S last month for $16,235. We had to pay T,T&L but they backed out the dealer prep fee. We did though have to pay the destination fee like everyone else. We were happy with the deal and bought the car. Just waiting now for our refund on registering the car with the state and the license plate fee.
    We're still in love with the car and happy with our decisin. Zoom Zoom!

The Sandman :)
  • saabsvtsaabsvt Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure how close it is to Lexington. We live in NC, but I think most of Va is beautiful.

And thank you for your input on these boards...I've been reading you for a long time.
    OK - lets do some math.

First a 1% sample size is very large - more than enough to have a high level of statistical confidence in the result. But lets not make this any harder than we need to - lets just do some 5th grade algebra!

If I take a Mazda3 S with auto tranny, ABS & the sport package the MSRP is $19,365, invoice is $18,016 and the Edmunds TMV is $18,658 (for HARTFORD CT BTW) Could pick any options the result will be about the same.

Let X = amount paid by average buyer that did not pay MSRP

So then:
    $19,365* 70% + 30%X = $18,658

X= $17,008.33!!!!

So in order for 7 out of 10 to have paid MSRP 3 out of 10 of buyers would have had to pay an average of about $1,008 UNDER INVOICE.

I don't care what anyone says - no way 7 of 10 people pay MSRP for a Mazda3 - because there is no way the other 30% paid $1K under invoice.

Because if all of the Edmunds posters are so darn smart and such great car buyers and so proud to BRAG about how great of a deal they got - then why don't any - thats right any of them claim to have paid that much under invoice?

BTW the Edmunds TMV for this car is $18,441 in Texas - $217 less than CT.
  • pwimseypwimsey Member Posts: 16
    Well, 1% is a large enough sample *if the sample is random*. But I think the point is that Edmunds users (more specifically, posters) are not a random sample; they comprise a small group of people who are at least knowledgeable enough to do research on the internet and find out what the invoice price is. (Of course, realistically Edmunds posters make up much much less than 1% of car buyers, as far as that goes).

However, I do think that you are right that not many people are now paying MSRP for Mazda3's. I bought my 5 door (AT, ABS/SAB/SAC) at the end of June. Basically, after cross shopping several cars, I decided on the 3 and asked for dealer quotes from Edmunds. I only received one real quote, but I took it with me to the dealer I'd been working with and asked if he could match it. He did and I bought the car from him.

FWIW, there did seem to be several 3s on the lot; I suspect that the GM employee pricing (and now the Ford employee pricing) has cut into Mazda sales...at least where I live.
  • tominsdtominsd Member Posts: 18
    I am in San Diego too and am thinking of the Mazda 3 hatch. Can you tell me which dealer gave you the best deal? I am seriously considering John Hine because they have on their lot quite a few of what I am looking for: 5 spd, airbag + ABS package and the sunroof + CD pkg. I am looking to offer about $2500 below retail (plus TTL). Thx.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Hard to understand how all of these buyers are posting that they are paying less than INVOICE yet some still try and claim that 7 out of 10 pay MSRP or more.

Edmunds forum participants are not representative of buyers as a whole. Most buyers have never even heard of Edmunds.
    I wondered about the random selection thing myself - for about 3 seconds - then thought why make it so hard - its been a few years since I did any quantitative analysis! That is why I fell back on the 5th grade algebra. Which is pretty hard to disagree with don't you think?

You could make the case that Edmunds posters are not a random sample - because they are not! But I also think that if you looked at the important factors that would differentiate the amount paid by different buyers you could make a good case that Edmunds posters would be a VALID sample - even though they are not randomly selected. Using a random sample - although better - is hard to do in these situations - outside of the class room anyway.

Just a guess - but I don't think you would find a statistical difference between Edmunds posters (to the Mazda3 board) and a random sample of Mazda3 buyers in things like - age, income, education, intelligence, negotiation skills - even internet access - an obvious possible major factor may not even be that great - since being a car nut (posting on Edmunds) and using the net most likely are not positively correlated. In other words - many people have access to the net & know how to use it that don't post on Edmunds. If this was 1980 then I would agree - not may people could look up things like invoice price - on the net - but what % of Mazda3 buyers have internet access and know how to do a search now? I would think most do.
    My does it matter if a buyer has ever heard of EDMUNDS?

-if you are trying to say - if you read & post on Edmunds you are going to be able to get the best (or a real good) price - I may agree with you on that. Seems right.

But the flaw then is how do you explain away the FACT that if 7 of 10 are paying MSRP - then the other 3 must be about $1,000 under invoice - yet no posts are claiming getting prices that low.

The only logical explanation is - you guessed it

7 out of 10 buyers are not paying MSRP.
    ... belongs somewhere in the Town Hall where dealers and customers can duke it out? Does such a discussion exist, Karen?

Frankly I'm getting a little tired of this duel between the Mr. Subjective and Mr. Objective. It's getting nowhere, verrrrry slowly.

Meade
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm not Karen... but... let's keep this discussion focused specifically on pricing and purchasing experience for Mazda3 shoppers. We have an entire Smart Shopper board for more general discussion, and our topic titled Any Questions for a Car Dealer? is a better place for this conversation.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Although boring to some (ok most - maybe all!) I though that these posts were part of a pricing discussion about the Mazsda3.

First someone claims that 7/10 pay MSRP for the Mazda3 - then someone else proves that is not reality. Even used Edmunds own PRICING data on the Mazda3.

BTW the P in MSRP does stand for price.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I would also take a few of the 'deals' reported here with a huge grain of salt.

I couldn't agree more.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I guess the point is..

Why call someone who posts here often a liar? He said that his store sells 70% of their Mazda3's at MSRP... Take it for what it is worth... But, he does have a history here on Edmunds..

375 people could post that they bought there Mazda3 for $1000 below invoice.. that still doesn't make him a liar..

Just like 375 people could post that their A/C works great... that doesn't make you a liar, either... It doesn't even mean that Mazda doesn't have a problem with the A/C..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Good point - maybe it is true at this one dealership - anything is possible.

So I guess the better more PC response (from me) would have been - If a dealership tries to get you to pay MSRP for a Mazda3 then go to another dealership because most (really all but a very few ) are willing to sell this car for somewhere between $500 under to $500 over invoice.

I'll try that next time!
  • craigacraiga Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased my M3 hatchback, 5 speed, moonroof + 6cd (Lava Orange) :shades: last night. I paid invoice (not MSRP) for the car, plus a couple hundred to have it driven from a dealer up in Washington, since there aren't a lot of Lava Orange vehicles available, and I didn't want to wait for another one to show up locally. There was only one available in town, and it had more options than I wanted to spring for.

I had purchased a silver 2004 M3 sedan last year for my daughter to take to college (she really liked the Lava Orange then too, but I was being practical about price), and while she absolutely loves the car, it didn't have air conditioning in it, and that became an issue. Since Mazda doesn't provide a kit for after-market installation, we decided to upgrade. Because it is summer, and the dealer didn't want to offer us what I thought would be a fair price for the trade-in (not having air conditioning), I kept the old car and will try to sell it privately.

It does help to do research on a site like this one, and much of the information I found here was useful. Equally important is to explore all of the avenues open to you as far as getting quotes. I used the Mazda web site directly to contact area dealers, a shopping service available through my credit union, and direct contact through the dealers web sites, even contacted dealers in the area that my daughter is attending school figuring we could pick it up there, and then worked with the dealer that offered me the best starting point. If you know the make and/or model of the car you want, this is the best way to go as far as I am concerned. You are basically going through their fleet sales channel, and it is much easier to deal with them than as an "up" on the showroom floor.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    z71bill, I provided yesterday the amounts I paid with my coupons. I think I paid under invoice...what do you say now? My opinion bud, just enjoy your car and let's move on. The discussion is pointless anyways, we all paid what we paid and all are enjoying the 3...case closed!
    Time to move on. 1 question, on the 2006's, is the 5 speed auto tranny an option?
    Zoom Zoom!

the Sandman :)
  • fierakfierak Member Posts: 8
    hi there i got a nice deal on a 1993 mazda 929 for $ 2000 with 187000 km
    . can anybody tell me how are this cars . is it worth it to buy a 929 .
    I do enjoy the car - which I paid $350 over invoice for back in January 2004.

I am never mad or upset by anything that gets posted - even when things get a little nasty & personal - I enjoy a little disagreement - keeps things interesting. If everyone always agreed it would be kind of bla.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    $300 over invoice is what I paid for my Mazda3 hatch back in February. I posted about this back then but am posting again because discussion seems to have heated up.

I can't say I'm surprised by audia8q's description of the buying process. My wife is like that. She admits to never having gotten a good deal on any car purchase.

I also wonder for how many people this was their first new car. It was my frist new car.

My Mazda has leather, ABS/SAB/SAC, 6-CD/moonroof, auto. There was also a $250 doc fee. As it turns out I would have paid $300 over invoice for any Mazda on the lot, but the price was what I was shooting for to begin with.
  • tgitltgitl Member Posts: 2
    After calling for specific desired configurations, I found that a couple of dealers in Florida were not willing to consider selling Mazda3's for less than MSRP. Didn't want to play the game, they said, when I told them I was familiar with the invoices, MSRP, and holdback. Good for them, being able to find customers to diminish their supply. I, on the other hand, will simply choose from a dealers a few miles away who are willing to sell me a car for well below invoice pricing. And I have yet to mention rebates. Will get more specific as dealers make more offers.
    I just include those in the calculation for how much I paid over invoice -

I paid $300 over plus a $50 doc fee - so I just say $350 over. Doc fees are just another way car dealerships get people to pay more. This is the only reason they exist - plain simple fact.

As long as they are part of the negotiation then I could care less - but if they spring them on you after the deal is done and just include them in - that is wrong - and I will not pay them.

No one can argue with this - can they?
  • cathyrancathyran Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the Dallas, TX area and am looking to purchase a Mazda3i. I found the one I want and I'm personally happy with the deal I'll be getting. MSRP on what I want is $15,990. They're going to give it to me for invoice price which is $15,052. I checked around and found that the average price people are paying for the same car is $15,315. Does this sound good to anybody?

(Could be going to get it tomorrow evening so quick replies would be appreciated!)
  • boombattyboombatty Member Posts: 3
    On Friday, July 29th, I paid $16,500 for a new 2005 Black Mica Mazda 3s Sedan with ABS and Sport Package. Car rolled off the assembly line in June 05. No problems with the AC.

I shopped around on the Internet and got quotes from several dealers. The dealer I did business with "dealer-traded" for the exact car I wanted, and trucked it in about 80 miles at no additional charge. Happy Customer.
  • trafficboytrafficboy Member Posts: 14
    where do you live, and how did you get that price? Was there a trade in involved???
  • sandvicksandvick Member Posts: 3
    I think you have legitimate concerns regarding whether or not people paying below invoice are getting raked over the coals in other areas, but I wasn't. I paid $300 under invoice in San Diego for Mazda 3 5 door with auto, abs, sab, 6 cd and moonroof. I had my own financing before I walked into the dealer and I did not have a trade in. Granted, I negotiated the sale price on my vehicle before I told them that I had my own financing. I never had to go through the, "so how can you afford to pay per month," nonsense.

The dealer told me flat out that they were facing pricing pressures from GM and Ford due to the employee discount. Even at $300 under invoice the Mazda3 5-door was still substantially more expensive then all of the other cars I was looking at. The Mazda dealer that sold me the car knew this and cut prices accordingly.
  • sandvicksandvick Member Posts: 3
    I went to Westcott in National City. If you get a quote via Edmunds.com you will go through fleet sales instead of through the regular sales staff. They gave me the best quote and they were easy to work with.
  • boombattyboombatty Member Posts: 3
    1. I live in L.A.
    2. I used the internet (edmunds, cars.com, carsdirect.com, mazdausa.com) and played multiple dealers off each other.
    3. No trade-in.

I got 4.49% APR, $45 doc fee. There are several internet sales departments of dealers in this area who openly advertise 1.5% over invoice. The fact that I was able to beat invoice by $700 was likely due to end of the month, end of the model year dealer incentives, and perhaps a bit of good negotiating...
  • danvancedanvance Member Posts: 13
    Hi, the dealer in my town has (2) 2004 red 5 door mazda3s. These are fully loaded with leather, xenon, navigation, etc. They MSRP for 22,500. The issue is, they are 04's. Mazda is no longer offering rebates for these as they are so old and now the dealer is stuck with the cars. I asked them what the lowest they would go on them is, and he said 1k below invoice. Does it seem like a mistake to purchase a car that is almost two years old for 1k below invoice with no rebates?

Also, has anyone heard if the 05's are going to have rebates when the 06's hit?
    Be careful - I can not think of ONE GOOD reason why a dealership would have 2004 models left over in AUGUST of 2005.

Can you?
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Does it seem like a mistake to purchase a car that is almost two years old for 1k below invoice with no rebates?

Yes.
  • chuck12chuck12 Member Posts: 13
    Can you tell me what forum you got all this information from? There are no more 2005 Mazda 3's equipped as I would like in my region so the salesperson has promised me a 2006 at invoice. Seems like a good deal except that I do not know what the new pricing will look like at this time and I can't seem to find anything on the '06 vehicle except what you posted.
    Can't help you much on pricing for the 2006 - but if you do go with the invoice price on the 06 I would get the dealership to be very specific (in writing) about what they think invoice means. Sure it sounds simple - but I bet they also include a big fat doc fee - plus what ever else they can dream up.

A few years back I shopped a dealer that claimed -Every car on the lot AT INVOICE & we will SHOW you the ACTUAL INVOICE. They included $1,500 of additional dealer markup on the invoice. The sales guy actually kept a straight face when he said that this was the "actual invoice".
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I shopped a dealer that claimed ... will SHOW you the ACTUAL INVOICE. They included $1,500 of additional dealer markup ... The sales guy actually kept a straight face when he said that this was the "actual invoice".

What gave him away, was it the clown outfit? :P
  • dadof3dadof3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. So I have requested my coupon from the Mazda and they said it will take 7 to 10 days to recieve it. The customer rep also told me that I would need the original ad. He could tell me where it came from but it wasin a "parenting" magazine. Anyone know how and where I can get an original ad? Thanks.
  • keycardkeycard Member Posts: 26
    The magazine they are refering to is "PLUM" which is available at your local OBGYN. I bought one a few weeks ago for $8.00 for the magazine + $4.00 shipping..If you need it let me know. I'll give it to you the same price that I got it for. Orignally I was going to get a Mazda3, but at the end got a Honda Civic EX.

KC
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    What you have is an E-mail from Mazda with a unique certificate number.

What you also need is the Gerber coupon. Become a registered user at Gerber.com, then login and request that they mail you the $500 Mazda cash back coupon. You'll receive it through the mail in approx. 10 days.
  • shomikshomik Member Posts: 6
    Just in case dadof3 does not need the gerber mazda ad in the magazine you have , can I have it ?
  • tgitltgitl Member Posts: 2
    To clarify/reconfirm:

Which Mazda coupon is found in Plum Magazine: the Gerber ad or the ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) ad?