Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Base invoice with destination charge is $13,408 on the lowest trim level..

There aren't any incentives that I know of... but, that doesn't mean there aren't any..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drss2imprssdrss2imprss Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody,

I am in the NYC area. Just today I got an offer for a new 2007 Mazda 3 i touring w/ manual transmission. The only option I want on the car is ABS/SAB/SAC package. The wheel locks is already included in this car in stock.

The invoice pricing on the car is:

Base $15,128
    ABS/SAB/SAC package $340
    Destination Charge $560
    Wheel locks $32

Total Invoice $16,060

We went back & forth I made a final offer of $16,250 he said $16,350. There is only a $60 document fee and TTL (tax, title, license). We both stood firm and in addition I wanted thrown-ins like (all invoice pricing):

Accessories:

Mud guard $96
    Door edge guard $80
    All weather floor mats $48
    Tinted windows $90 (my estimate)

Basically I want a lil over $300 in throw ins. It's the end of the month. The dealership was slow with little or no business today, Wednesday. I want it for $16250 before TTL with all those throw-ins. I will stay firm until I get this deal at this or another dealership. When I walked out since it was closing and he wouldn't do it, he said I'll talk to the sales manager and call you on Friday (since he's off tomorrow, Thursday August 31). So I think he'll give in because I know I won't.

I want the deal the latest tomorrow at any local dealership because it's the last day of the month.

What do you fellas and ladies think? Shall I compromise a little with the throw-ins (added accessories) or even the price?

Thank you. ZOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOM! :P :sick:

Mikey
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The gig of walking into any dealership the last day(s) of the month is overrated. (by the last day the pigeons have come in to roost) The last 7-10 days can be real nail biters. You usually need at least 10-20 quotes to try to find the 1/10 dealers who may really need to book a sale. Flexibility on models, colors is obviously helpful. If the shop's made their #'s for the month they can take you or leave you.

See my post 12481 in the Honda accord prices paid section
    for info to read on how to buy a new or used car.

--jjf
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Offer to split the difference. C'mon, a nice dinner for two costs $50 these days! This is a car you'll enjoy for many years.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I don't necessarily agree with you. As you mentioned, as long as you are somewhat flexible with color and option choices, I have had much better luck buying at the end of the month. In the past year I have purchased both a Honda Odyssey and a Mazda 3 at the end of the month after beginning negotiations at the middle of the month. In both cases, the dealers called me back towards the end of the month and were willing to deal. The Mazda sales manager even told me that he was only giving me a deal because it was a slow month and he needed the sale. In short, he sold me a 3i Touring w SAB/SAC, 6 disc changer w/moonroof, rear lip spoiler, for $100 under invoice, and (this is the kicker) he gave me almost full KBB private party retail (not full dealer trade-in) for my Mazda Tribute SUV which I could not sell myself (gas prices played a role I am sure). I contacted numerous other Mazda dealers, and the best I could get was invoice and nobody was willing to give me even full KBB dealer trade-in value (let alone private party sale value).
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    Do you recall what dealer that was?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Browns Alexandria Mazda:
    www.brownscar.com

I am a returning customer (and I worked directly with the sales manager), but I am pretty sure they would have offered me the same deal had I not been.

I have nothing but good things to say about this dealer. I have only had one issue (faulty airbag light on my Tribute) with either of the Mazda's that I purchased there and they took great care of me.
    Hi all,

I was strong and I won. The deal is for $16,250 with all the throw-ins even though I have a lil bit of negotiationing to do about the tinted windows. So in summary I'm getting a 07 mazdai i Touring w/ manual trans. with all weather floor mats, mud guard, edge door protection, and tinted windows (I will work on the deal tonight) for $16,250 before TTL here in NY (sales tax: 8.625%).

I will leave to the dealership to close out the deal in 45 minutes. Thank you.

Mikey
  • mcdermott2mcdermott2 Member Posts: 68
    Where was that in NY?
  • mcinmcin Member Posts: 3
    Just bought 2007 Mazda3 5door GrandTouring, A/T with Moonroof/Bose audio package in Galaxy Gray at $22,447.99 OTD price. I bought at Union, NJ.
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    Hi,

How about offering the dealer for 2007 Mazda3, galaxy gray GrandTouring, A/T with Moonroof/Bose audio package, door edge guards at 22,100 OTD price........

Invoice

CAR - 19409
    MOON ROOF + BOSE = 1135
    DOOR GUARDS = 80
    Dest = 560
    ----------------
    Total = 20,637 + Tax + Documentation etc

Thanks,
    Sri
    Hi,

Mine comes with door guards too, and window etching. Anyways, if you can get the car at 22,100 OTD price, go get it :) To do that, you need to start from $1000 under the invoice.

One correction on the price:
    invoice price of Bose + Moonroof package is 1,148

Good luck,
    McIn
    Hi McIn,

Thanks, I finalized the deal for the same car at $22,122. Do you think I got a decent price. :confuse:

Sri
    Hi Sri,

At least you got it almost $300 under from mine :) Where did you buy it?

McIn
  • skydiver19skydiver19 Member Posts: 1
    OK, this offer I received from a dealership in Wausau, Wis., quoted me 18,870 MSRP for a i Touring with ABS, autodimm mirror with Homelink and door edge guards.

I admit, my credit is crap, though I'm not in debt. Insufficient credit was what the finance guy said. When we finally started the finance talk, the banks were closed so I'm going back tomorrow to talk it over with him.

At this point I'm willing to see what he has to offer and table it a few days before giving them an answer. That said, what is a decent price for the i Touring? I know there's no specific answer, so I'm looking for a ballpark figure. 18,870 sounds a little high to me at this point. I'm willing to put 5,000 down.

Thanks for your help!
    Hi McIn,

Thankyou, I got this in Michigan. If anyone is intrested to buy a Mazda3 in this area. I can recommend some people who could get you a low price.

By the way can anyone tell me whether mudguards are needed for this car.

Sri
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    You can go ahead and tell us the dealership name, but no individual salesperson contact information is allowed...

Thanks!

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Smithtown Mazda in Eastern Long Island (Suffolk County). Tomorrow I'm paying for it and I want to negotiate paying for more than $3,000 on credit, which is the dealership's limit. I want to ask for $7,000 but I know they won't do it so I'll only settle for $5,000. The rest I will pay by check.

Because credit cards charge a fee to business for consumers using their cards, the dealerships hate it when you use a credit card for even a few grand. I already squeezed them for a deal and I know tomorrow they will curse me out. But it's all good.

Mikey
  • regattagirlregattagirl Member Posts: 7
    About to buy a manual 2007 mazda3 5 door sGrand Touring moonroof/bose for 20,483 + tax etc. in NY. What do you think?? :confuse:
  • adrian902adrian902 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 2006 mazda 3 hatchback grand touring with all the goodies. Bose/moonroof/leather/navigation for 23k out the door. the best price i could negotiate since these cars are very scarce here in houston, tx.
  • regattagirlregattagirl Member Posts: 7
    Well, my final price for the 2007 OTD is $22,960- for everything but NAV. Problem is the soonest I can get a 2007 manual in my area (Eastern Long Island) is (worst case scenario) late December/ early January!!!! The dealer says that it'll be hard for them to swap with another dealer any sooner because of the price they gave me. They claim they will either lose money or have to charge me more (which I won't pay.) -But they said they'd put a big bow on it- whew, I feel so much better... :mad:
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    soonest I can get a 2007 manual in my area (Eastern Long Island) is (worst case scenario) late December/ early January

Three to four months is a long wait!

Maybe you can search the inventory of dealers in your area via the MazdaUSA site? You might find your car in another dealership and suggest your dealer move on it.

Hopefully, you did not put a large downpayment which is now going to sit in the dealers bank account rather than yours.

TIP: To avoid long waits, specify a delivery date in the contract; something like "Car as described herein must be delivered by (fill in date) or deposit will be refunded to customer" .
  • chyv1083chyv1083 Member Posts: 7
    Today I saw a used 06 mazda3 s hatch with a moonroof, and power everything with 8490mi for 14,988 Im thinking about jumping on it but is this to high a price? Thanks

I believe tax is 10 percent down here.
  • chyv1083chyv1083 Member Posts: 7
    ok apparently they screwed up (found it on autotrader) the price and it is actually 16988 so what do you guys think ??? I really really need some advice here. I think its still an ok deal.
  • bosox5530bosox5530 Member Posts: 3
    I got a 2007 s touring 5 door mazda 3 a/t galaxy grey with no sunroof, no leather, no bose system for 21,100. did i overpay, be advised I am in hawaii. and i am young buyer at 21. what does everyone think? i get ripped?
  • mkuchytmkuchyt Member Posts: 6
    Can someone please tell me how much of a discount I should expect with the Friends & Neighbors X-Plan? I'm getting an 07 Mazda3 GT with A/T and the moonroof/6CD package.

Thanks.
  • mkuchytmkuchyt Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone tell me what the different options are for extended warrentees and what the dealer cost is for those options?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A nationwide publication is looking to interview car buyers who were hit with, and noticed, high documentary or paper processing fees from dealerships in the past two years. If you are interested, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 20, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Can someone please tell me how much of a discount I should expect with the Friends & Neighbors X-Plan? I'm getting an 07 Mazda3 GT with A/T and the moonroof/6CD package.

With no other optional equipment or accessories, your price would be $21,117 less fees, reg, tax etc.

Mazda's discount program is called S-Plan.

With no other optional equipment or accessories, your price would be $21,117 less fees, reg, tax etc.

Mazda's discount program is called S-Plan.
  • iwantacar1iwantacar1 Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if s-plan price includes the destination fee? I have contacted some dealers, they showed me the invoice of Mazda3 2007 S TG Hatch, but it incudes some assessment fee around 200, is that normal? I am in Ohio, Thanks!
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The destination charge on a 3 is $595 in ConUS. The "dealer cost" of destination charge is the same as "retail cost" so there is no discount/dealing on that item.

The invoice should have the dealer's invoice price (less destination) and the s-plan price (less destination) and then have the destination cost as a separate item that adds to the other prices.

I don't know what the "Assessment fee" is, this is not mentioned anywhere in any Mazda stuff I have seen (but I am not an expert at this). They should show you the actual invoice and you take the s-plan price plus destination fee and that should be your price - unless you have any dealer installed options.

I think under S-Plan the dealer CAN charge you "reasonable fee" for paperwork, etc. They may be charging you the $200 for a "salesperson's commission". Again, I think as long as they are reasonable they can charge a little more than the s-plan price + $595 destination. Under x-plan (at a Ford dealership) I think they have to charge you just x+dest and nothing else.

Looks like s on the 5 door S GT manual would be $18,523 and $19,409 for an auto. You can check on the internet lots of places for invoice prices - but $18,523 is what I have for the manual 3 s GT hatch.

So if they charge you $200 more, that is still a hot deal $200 over invoice including dealer fees. Heck, most of my local dealers get a MINIMUM of $299 for a doc fee or prep fee and it goes up from there.

Dennis
    Thank you , Dennis:
    The reason that I was asking about the dest. fee is that on my paper work, they just listed the base price of the car (2007 Mazda S Touring Auto, hatch), 18209 (=18039+170 assessment fee), and the total unpaid balance does not include destination fee and there is nowhere showing destination fee.They also charged me $250 documentary fee, saying that is standard in Ohio( I have asked several dealers, they all charge that including vw dealers, so maybe it is true?) They did not show me the invoice because they have to locate the car that I want first. But I have put down a deposit for it. Am I ripped off?
    Am I ripped off?

If they keep forgetting to may you pay the $595 destination charge, then no :surprise:

Charging you $250 doc and $170 as another fee sounds like too much, but as I said some local dealers here get about that much in doc fees anyway.

The deal is good if compared to what you could negotiate on your own you get a better price. Around here 3's are selling really fast and dealers are not discounting them much at all. The dealer that sold me an RX-8 a year ago for $500 under invoice will only take off a few hundred on a 3 sedan for my daughter now. Supply and demand - they can sell about as many as they can get so they don't deal.

If a local dealer offered me your deal ($420 over invoice including dealer fees) for a car that match my daughter's specs - I think we would take it.

A Ford retiree friend is trying to see about getting us an s-plan PIN. I think HERE - even with some fees - it will save my daughter some money - right now.

If you want to buy a speed6, for example, you don't need s-plan just a checkbook. Those and the RX-8s are priced way under s-plan prices now since they can't sell them.

Dennis
    Something else to remember - a difference of $100 or $200 on a deal is really "nothing". Each $100 is 1/2 percent on a $20k deal and a couple of bucks per month on a car note.

Now I don't like paying too much nor do I like getting ripped off, but sometimes you have to not try to not get EVERY penny out of a deal. I still try, then I remember to relax and enjoy the new car - even if it cost me $100 more than the perfect price :D

Dennis
    I agree. I do believe that dealers need to make a profit. As long as it is a fair deal, I won't bother to get to the bottom line. but since I have read so many stories of dealer's tricks or scams, I was little bit worried especially being a female. They don't have a car that I want in their lot and they need to locate a car for me. They called me couple of days ago, saying they found one car but with moonroof+cd changer option. I told them no since I don't need any extra, so they are still looking. My worry is: what if they can't find a car that matches my description and they ask me to wait for a month? What about my deposit?
    You can use the car find function at mazdausa.com to find the car for yourself - if one is around. With the s-plan the price is the same from any dealer, so you could go to the dealer that has the car and buy it direct.

Part of the extra fee may be for finding and transporting the found car to you. It does cost them money (employee time and gas) to move the cars - and it does have someone other than you driving your new car first :(

I think the non-refundable deposit went the way of the do-do bird. If they can't find you a car then you get the money back. Now if they find your one, pay to move it to town for you, then you back out they MAY want you to pay them back for time and trouble out of the deposit.

If you have not signed a delivery document your PIN should still work anywhere - use the locator and find the car and go get it :D

Dennis
    I haven't signed a delivery document and they did not even ask for my S-pin. They did write a note on my contract that the buyer will provide s-pin. Indeed I did search mazda website inventory and found two cars matching my description, but they are about 100 miles away ( not in the state where I am though). Should I tell my dealer about this? I am sure if they search hard enough, they should have the same info as I found. I am not sure if they have their internal inventory that is not publically available but searchable among Mazda dealers. The other thing is that I did not put a note on the contract as how many days at most they should spend to get the car I want. What should I do? Just wait?
    The dealer should have access to MORE car information than the mazdausa site provides to us. Some of the cars shown may already be sold and some may also be on the way and not yet on the lot, some may have deposits on them or be special orders.

What *I* would do is find the car you want. Go to that dealer's web page (if they have one) and see if they show the inventory and see if THEY show they have it for sale. Then follow up with a phone call to them to confirm they have it for sale.

Then I would ask each one that has the car how much they charge in s-plan fees. Some dealers charge $175 some may charge $300, I heard of one that charges a LOT more. The s-plan price would be the same everywhere, but the Mazda dealer does get to tack some extra fees on them.

If the folks that HAVE the car charge reasonable fees, *I* would get my check back from the first dealer and just go get the car.

You could call the dealer you first worked with and point them to the other car. The MAY want to charge you for having to go get it and they will usuall send someone to DRIVE your new car back to their dealership.

I have not heard of a non-refundible deposit in a long time and clearly they are not working hard for your business if they could not find the cars you did (assuming you verify they are on the ground and ready for sale).

I am still working to get an s-plan PIN, someone told me Ford employees were allowed to generate as many PINs per year as they wanted for MAZDA sales - but that may no longer be true. I think for Ford purchases it is limited to 2 per year. In any case, the dealers offered me $500 over invoice + dealer fee if I can't get a PIN. One dealer gets about $250 the other about $384 in fees.

Dennis
    Thanks for the advise! As far as how many PINS is concerned, here is what I found from Ford AXZ plan FAQs:

Each active or retired Ford Motor Company employee receives four (4) PINs each calendar year. The PINs they distribute to their eligible members, as well as those they use themselves all count against the four they are allocated. Note: Members are not aware of the number of PINs remaining for their Sponsor and thus you may be denied a PIN request because the Sponsor is out of PINs for the current year.

:D
    I have been following what you have had concerns with, maybe I can help you, I am a Mazda dealer.

To start, S-Plan is invoice. Destination/regional assessment is included.

Regional assessment is that "$200" charge you saw, that Mazda charges in different regions of the country. They are all printed on the factory invoice. They differ from region to region. Mazda does not disclose them on their web site. For example, I am located in the New York region.

What is not included is dealer fee's (processing fee's) tax, registration etc.
    So the assesment fee would likely be the same for any area dealer she talked to? The only difference would be how much extra (if any) each dealer charges for doc/setup/processing?

Thanks,
    Dennis
    Thanks a lot! That makes me feel better :) In deed I did find the car from the other dealer's website (which is over 100 miles away from where I am). As a dealer like you, will he be willing to get the car so far away for a potential buyer?
    I have seen a VW dealer's invoice,it included some Association fee, Floor plan assistance fee etc. But from I learned from internet, the floor plan assistance is kind of scam. But it was included in the invoice. If that is the case, should the customer pay for that? Ofcz, that is not mazda dealer, just wondering...
  • damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    Is there a forumula to calculate a lease payment? I know specials run from time to time, but, I am looking for a Mazda 3 S Grand Touring model. With options, MSRP is $24K and invoice is $22K. I'm sure I can get it for the $22K. Is there a calcuation to get a 2 yr/15K miles lease or must I go to the dealers for this. Any help is appreciated.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    I'll be buying a Mazda 3 soon. Can I get opinions about this proposed price:

2007 3i Touring (auto)
    ABS package
    Rear wing spoiler

$17,187 (includes destination)

Invoice,according to Edmunds is: $17,168

Since the o7's just came out, Edmunds TMV for this car looks out of whack. It's $18,311 My agreed on purchase price is just a couple dollars under the TMV of the '06

It seems like a good deal to me.

Laura
    My dealer got the car for me! They said the milage is about 100 miles which is what I guessed( from Mazda website I found that car 100 miles away). Anyway, is there anything I need to pay attention when they deliver the car tomorrow? Should I test drive it first before I finalize the deal? Is it possible they show extra charge on the paper? I already signed one paper indicating the total unpaid balance, just want to make sure. Thanks :)
    Sweet!

Go over it with a fine tooth comb looking for dents, dings, and chips and make them note on a "we owe" if you find anything wrong. Same on the inside. I hate to be obsessive about it but I purchased a Previa van for my wife one time and failed to notice a crease in the passenger door until after we got it home. Too late then to make them fix it. Every time I looked at the door until we sold it > 100k later I saw that crease and was mad at myself.

The s-plan price is invoice which was posted here, and someone (nicely, thanks) explained about the extra fee. That plus maybe a modest dealer fee, taxes, and tags should be it. I don't know what the your state tax deal is, but you could find out and calculate that for yourself. Ditto the tags and title - transfer VS new tags.

For sure test drive it before signing anything. If it has a vibration, rattle, squeak, etc it will drive you nuts. Those things have to be fixed up front or better a different car obtained.

It will likely be fine, since they drove it back and would have noticed a problem and probably gave it a good look before they picked it up - but you need to do these things for yourself. 99 out of 100 may be fine, but you don't want to be the 1 that got a rattling, squeaky, dented "new car" :D

Congrats!

My daughter has decided on the Civic EX (though now I have Mazda salespeople calling me hot to sell her the Mazda3 for cheap). We may go up and pick it up this weekend - about a 3 hour drive each way.

Dennis
    Thanks! Here the tax is 7.5% As I mentioned before, I wonder if they will add the dest. fee since my total unpaid balance does not include it :P Civic EX is very nice, I did not test drive Civic because it is more expensive and I know I could get a good deal from Mazda. Oh, do you think wheel lock is necessary? Mine does not include it. From what I learned, it is to prevent others to steal your alloy wheels. But if sb is determined to get these wheels, he must know they need special tools to take off these alloy ones even if it is locked. Does that make sense? Also I heard it is generally not a good idea to drive your new car on high way for long time. Why is it?

Congrats to you and your daughter! Enjoy the new car!
    Oh, another question :) Can I ask the dealer to fax me the contract or paper work i need to sign tomorrow so that I can read it at home tonight? Will they do that?