Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• iwantacar1iwantacar1 Member Posts: 17
    Hello, every one:
    I was supposed to get a brand new 2007 Mazda3 ST Hatch. But when I test drove the car today, the steering wheel did not keep straight and the car shifted towards left side. SO they took the car to the service and told me the tire pressure was off so they balanced it. I signed the paper and testdrove it again, the car still shifted slightly towards left. What should I do now? They have the car now and will check it on Monday and I should pick it up on Monday. My question is what if the problem still exists? SHould I ask for another car or what? They got this car for me from 100 miles away and I wonder why they did not find the problem when they drove on highway over here. Or maybe I am too sensitive to the shift? Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions!
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Sounds like the alignment is off? If a new car is damaged the dealer has to disclose it (at least that is the case here) so I would assume it would be something like the tire pressures are off or the alignment is off. Some roads have a lot of crown from heavy use or slow by design, I assume you tried many roads and it always the same? Does it pull to the side? If you speed up and slow down does it pull only when you speed up? Or is the wheel just not straight? If the car is aligned, but with the wheel a little off it will run down the road fine but the wheel will be slightly cocked.

I would go over any new car with a fine tooth comb and test drive it. Anything that is wrong needs to either be fixed, or noted on the "We owe" document, or another car obtained. You are paying for a perfect, new car and that is what you should have.

Dennis
    it always pulled to the left. Not sure why. Is it possible to be a lemon? My friends said I should not get this car and I should wait to get another one. Another thing: when I went to finalize the paper work, they told me the saleman that I was contacting is no longer with them and there is one problem with previous contract. They said they forgot to charge a destination charge , plus since the car was from PA, I have to pay for that assessment fee. So now I have to pay 600+ more than what I signed to. I argued that I should not pay for pittsburgh assessment since I amnot buying from them, so we settled down to pay for local assessment fee. BUT I am really confused now. My friend who got me the S-pin told me S-price should not include the destination fee and I should stick to my previous contract. But the dealer dis not recognize that previous contract, they said either I accept the new one or null the deal. Plus, they never asked me the s-pin, nor did they show me the real invoice. What should I do? Is there any trap?
    The assesment may have to be paid if it came from a dealer that gets charged one. I don't know if they swapped cars or what and I have no idea what happens with the assesment.

The s-plan "rules" say they have to show you the invoice so you can verify the price. You have to pay the destination charge on s-plan as well and I think s-plan price = invoice price. So you can go someplace like carsdirect.com and build the same car they are trying to sell you and see what they show for invoice (including dest) and that should be your price - plus maybe the assesment and maybe some other dealer fees.

Since they do not seem to know what they are doing, your s-plan PIN guarantees you a good deal, and the car they are trying to sell you seems wrong to you - I think I would get back your deposit and walk (or run) away. Make note of that VIN so you don't see that again. Then find another dealer that knows how to handle the s plan sale and get another car. I guess. I hate that they got stuck bringing in a car (at their expense) but they have to be fair with you as well. Seems like you have really tried to let them sell you a car but they keep tripping up.

Dennis
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    I'm thinking of possibly trading in or selling my 04 6s, and buying an 07 3s. I think there is a big improvement in gas mileage, and i like the idea of the 3 having stability control for 07, which wasn't available for the 06' 3. I'm just going to wait till they have some incentives on the new ones.
    The salesman called me today and told me that the alignment has no problem and it is ready to deliver, which means they did not do anything about it. I told him i don't want this specific car because I want the brand new perfect car. He said " so you don't want this car even if it does not have problem?" I told him it has problems and I will be out of town so I am not going to look for a car. But then he offers to find another sedan for me because I told him I don't want a car with similar situation. He said he was going to search the inventory and call me back. But when I called , he told me the sales manager wanted to talk.
    All of my friends and collegues told me the contract I signed (with a lower price) is a leagal bond and they should honor that price even if they claimed there was a mistake. And that is the only contract with both mine and their signature. BUT Now the sales manager has a total attitude, he told me: "It is your car, you have to come to pick it up, or you loose your deposit!" He hung up on me. He also hung up on my friend. I told him I am buying a brand new car at the agreed price on the contract signed by me and him. I am not going to buy that car with the inflated price ( I never signed the contact with that higher price). But he talked as if I already bought the car and I should take it with me and pay for the higher price. Because of that rude attitude, I am not going do business with them. I just want my deposit back. But they refuse to do so. Should I get a lawyer? I am going to report to BBB. If I could, I will tell everyone not to buy anything from this dealership!
  • surfboy2001surfboy2001 Member Posts: 6
    A friend of mine who works at Ford enrolled me in the plan last November when I leased a Mazda. I'm considering trading in my current Mazda for a different model, but I am still considered as active in the S-plan or do I need my friend to re-enroll me??
    I think they generate a PIN that allows you to purchase or lease a single car or truck. If you want something else now, then I think they will need to generate a new PIN for you again. PINs expires after a year if you don't use them.

Some s-plan info is here . You do have to keep the new car 6 months, which you have done.

Leases can be very expensive to get out of, so "trading in" your lease car may not be a very good move. A lot of Mazda products can be had for invoice or less these days, and s-plan gets you invoice pricing without the hassle. This is good for something like the mazda3 which is a hot seller, but may be no help on something like the rx-8 which is a slow seller.

Just curious, what you have now and what new car are you looking at?

Dennis
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Just put down a deposit on one today. Aroura blue 5-speed moonroof no nav. Before tax title and lisence fees i was quoted 20725 plus a few hundred off for something or another. Made the deal with Walser Mazada in Burnsville Minnesota and so far the transaction couldnt be going and smoother or easier. All the sales people i have talked to were very nice and always helpful. Would recommend them to anyone.
    Sounds like a good price to me, as long as they don't stick you with a large dealer or doc fee. Invoice on the car + moonroof/cd change package appears to be $20,266 so you are less than $500 over invoice (assuming no other options).

Dennis
    Sticker was 21725 so i got a grand off to start and then a few hundred extra the salesman is gonna get me somehow. Edmunds trv is about 21650 it says so im very happy with the deal so far.
    The sticker is for suckers :D Dont' look at it and don't care what it says. Find the invoice price and work from that.

In any case, good deal! Around here, $500 over invoice is about as good as you are going to get for a mazda3 rigth now. The dealers sell them pretty quick without having to do much better on price.

Dennis
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Just to inform all who are interested in purchasing a 2007 Mazdaspeed3, Mazda will not be offering an S-Plan (invoice) or E-Plan discount on the 2007 Mazdaspeed3.

Dealers have no override for this.

Any discount you receive, must be negotiated, it will not be offered by Mazda.
    Rip offs, here we come - I guess.

The speed3 is already on the s-plan price list I have ($20,804 and $22,404). So I guess they were planning on allowing it, but the dealers protested and said "no way" on this model. I like the "Dealers have no override for this" - heck, they don't want to take s-plan if they don't have to since most folks will never see invoice pricing any other way.

I will admit I was surprised it was on the s-plan list at all, so not really shocked that dealers will not be able to charge "market price" for the car when available. Like Earl found out, Karma has a away of getting things evened out. Dealers who where charging over MSRP when the Miata and RX-8 launched now have un-sold 06 (and maybe 05s too) sitting on the lots begging for customers.

Here is a salute to all the Mazda dealers who will not charge a penny over MSRP for the speed3! Live long and prosper :D

Dennis
    The speed3 is already on the s-plan price list I have ($20,804 and $22,404).

Mazda has taken the Mazdaspeed3 off of the S-Plan list as of 9/28/06.
    So tell us, are you going to gouge yours, sell them for MSRP, or discount them?

Just wondering.

Dennis
    We will see.

If I can get over sticker, I will.

As for discounting, nope. Why discount? I only have 5 comming as of right now.

There is nothing wrong with selling over sticker. It's like you selling your car to a dealer and refusing to get anything but top dollar for a used, depreciating vehicle, when in fact, it's not worth in real $$ what 99% of all customers demand for a trade value. Selling over sticker is no different.

I would not refer to it as "gouging". This is simply a supply Vs. demand issue.

About the dealers crying about the S-Plan originally on the Speed3, I will have to strongly disagree. Dealers do not have to accept S-Plan on ANY Mazda vehicle. It is the dealer's choice. If they still had S-Plan on the Speed3, I would jut not accept it, and here is a 99% chance, no other dealer would either.
    I guess what goes around comes around. I would not buy an S2000 or RX-8 when they came out - dealers wanted over MSRP for them. I waited and paid a lot less and not from the dealers who tried to take advantage.

In the case of the speed3 there may be no later - but somehow (as bad as Mazda is doing) I am thinking they will start cranking them out once this first batch of "limited production" is sold. How can they afford not to? If a local dealer tried to stick me for over MSRP when he or she could, I would not be buying from them - then or later. Mazda dealers have done it with the Miata in 90 and the RX-8 in 03 and now have row after row of non-selling cars. Heck, some of them have gone out of business since those days. The "limited edition mazdaspeed6" some dealers tried to hose folks on at first is now carrying $3,500 in rebates and is still sitting in most every dealer's lot hoping for a buyer.

So like I said, you call it supply and demand I call it Karma ;)

Dennis
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The speed3 is already on the s-plan price list I have ($20,804 and $22,404). So I guess they were planning on allowing it, but the dealers protested and said "no way" on this model

It wasnt a dealer decision...also remember, s-plan is dealer optional anyway...so even if Mazda allowed it I suspect that the huge percentage of dealers wouldnt offer it. Of course if the car doesn't sell you will see special purchase plans accepted....From what I'm seeing and hearing this speed has the highest number of pre-sells of any previous speeds. I only have one left without a deposit.
    but somehow (as bad as Mazda is doing) I am thinking they will start cranking them out once this first batch of "limited production" is sold.

Well that statement is a little off. Mazda is doing great. I'm not sure what you use as your source, but, it happen to be false information.

2005 was Mazda's greatest sales year ever, and so far, Mazda is ahead of those sales by 12% for MY 2006. Doing bad?? I think not.

So like I said, you call it supply and demand I call it Karma

Well, since I do not believe in Karma, if you happen to not buy at sticker or above, someone else will, I call that doing business and making money. Which I'm sure you do from 9-5 M-F. Am I wrong?
    My Salesman today told me that if he wanted a Speed3 he would have to pay full sticker price also. I dont get it...they had about 15 Speed6's but they were seriously discounted. So no one likes the 6 just the 3?
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Almaden and Oak Tree advertise such unbelievable prices.

With Civic prices being so outrageous, is the Mazda 3 offering better value because of the likely selling prices in this area?
    Speed3 and Speed6 were/are targeted twards different audiences.

Speed6 was targeted toward the Audi A4 Quattro/BMW buyer. Loads of performance and decent luxury for a cost that cannot be matched by competitors.

Speed3 is targeted twards the boy racer on a budget.

There is a higher demand, and less competition in the boy racer market when you figure the price of the Speed3. You can trounce a Subaru WRX for $22,800. Where as with the Speed6, you have a $30,000 vehicle. Once you get to that price, there is a lot more choices. Plus, no auto tranny in a class where most potential buyers are looking for an auto tranny.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    You can now get a Speed6 for around 23k, with all the latest incentives.
    That is correct. But, not when it came out.
    i almost thought about a speed6 or the speed3. settled on the 3GT for the fact i wouldnt have to put premium fuels in it. Also i think the speed3 would have too much power to handle well in a minnesota winter.
    I think snow tires will probably be a must for the Speed3.

Premium fuel in now coming down, which is nice.

Not all people need the extra power, that's why the speed3 and speed6 are more of an enthusiast vehicle.
    Id love the extra power...love the fact the speed6 is all wheel drive too. Alas though i cant afford the speed6, theyd are fun to drive though.
    Dennis -

I'm currently leasing a Mazda 6s and according to kbb (going by the "good condition" evaluation), I'm about 1200 on the upside compared to the lease payoff.

I'd like to get an '06 or '07 rx8. Although from what I've read on these forums it sounds like you can get a very good price on the 06's.
    If you are looking at KBB trade in VS payoff then you may be OK. Trade in is the most you can expect from a dealer - getting the new car near or below invoice.

I have an 05 RX-8 and I got it new last year for $500 under invoice, free wing, $2,000 in MAC rebates, and a $500 Gerber rebate. The 8 is a fun car, except it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage and requires premium. I get 14-15mpg around town and on a recent long trip could do no better than 21.45mpg on the highway with few stops. Lots of recalls (including the new motor replacement recall) and lots of new ones on the dealer lots equals REALLY BAD resale value. I think trade on my GT 6mt w/NAV and 7k on the clock may be around $21k (ouch). Good thing I am leasing it.

Depending on where you live should be able to get a new 07 8 for near invoice. I don't know the current rebate or buy down situation the left over 06 cars, but if you are going to do another lease the 07 will lease better. You can stuck with MAC, though as the poor resale equals a terrible lease deal without the MAC help.

If you can handle the resale value and the terrible MPG then the car is a lot of fun and not one I see on the road a lot.

Check in over in the RX-8 prices paid forum and see what everyone is paying. If you are in the southeast, I can probably point you do a dealer with a lot of inventory and likely a nice price on a new 8.

Dennis
    Is your car manual or automatic? I've heard the automatic ones have more problems. I drove an '06 manual recently and loved it. Wasn't as fun as the 350Z I also tried out but imo more fun. I live in Los Angeles and was hoping to do another lease. Think I'll be visiting some mazda dealers this weekend..
  • max4goodmax4good Member Posts: 12
    Hey group
    I'm in the market shopping for a new vehicle and I narrowed my choices to either '06 corolla S, or '06 mazda 3 S. I'm going with mazda because I think its more fun to drive for the $.

With auto transmission, I've got a Invoice price of approximately at $17,500 from various websites. I really would like to deal for less than invoice, what are my chances? I'm planning on making my purchase soon. I live in california, OC area. Thanks
  • luckyphilluckyphil Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Sorry to ask a question that's probably been answered somewhere on this site, but I've spent an hour looking with no luck.
    Does anyone know the invoice price for a MZ3 hatchback GT for a 2007 or a 2006?

I'm new to car buying, and have been looking to buy one the last couple of months, as my Toyota Tercel of 16 years (and 300k) is about to give up the ghost.

I've posted on the Canada forum as well, as I'm in Calgary.

Thanks!
  • sbarbossasbarbossa Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm in the process of working out a lease on a 2007 Mazda 3 Sport, 5 door, manual transmission. I want 36 months, 12,000 miles and no money down. I'm in Northern New Jersey and the best deal I'm looking at is $285 per month (tax included). How does that sound??
    Wanted a 5-door but i didnt want to wait three monthes for it to come in so i got a 4-door. Aroura blue 5-speed sunroof and bose, no nav (im male, i dont need directions!). Got it for 20475 at Walser Mazda in Burnsville, MN. Great overall experience to the point that even the hammer (you know the guy who wants you to buy extended this and fabric that) wasnt too pushy at all. Anyone in this area i would recommend to go talk to them
  • wakkowakko Member Posts: 2
    recenntly got a 2006 GT 5-speed for $18.8 OTD in So Cal. only options were the wheel locks.
  • ywan_ipywan_ip Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I found a deal is 18K + tax and etc for a madza 3, 5 doors. Is it a good deal?

thx
  • kennyf1130kennyf1130 Member Posts: 15
    Hello, I've been offered the following:
    20200 plus 399 dlr fee 6.50 waste fee Tax is 1236.33 (6% tax) and tags 79 = 21920 OTD

What do you guys think? It would be for an automatic grand touring HB with no additional options.

Thanks in advance
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    They're remodeling but claim to have inventory in the back. After telling me that they ask for $2k markup over sticker, the salesman says he could do about $500 below sticker for Costco price.

I go in and the sales manager at the terminal say they have a Galaxy Gray with ABS and the price would be $300 over invoice. I ask out the door and he says about 18,700 something. So maybe around 18,800 with CA and 8.25% sales tax as out the door price for purchase.

For lease, he says it would be 70% residual for 2-year, 10.5k miles/year lease with .0033 MF. He figures on a drive off of $900 and 23 remaining payments of around $347 including tax. Disposition would be $350 or $375.

Anyone have comparable deals to report?
  • wakkowakko Member Posts: 2
    The other best offer i got was for a 2007 3 I-touring 5-spd with moonroof/6cd and abs package for 18.7 OTD.. this is in so.cal
  • mazda3_fanmazda3_fan Member Posts: 9
    After getting frustrated with the wait time for a fully loaded Nissan Versa, I decided to go back to a Mazda3.

I got a metallic black '07 GT hatchback automatic from Norco Mazda (in Southern California) with the Bose/moonroof package and wheel locks for $21,150 (plus tax, registration & fees). I believe that's less than $40 above invoice and less than Edmunds TMV. I was given the price over the phone yesterday, and I picked up the car today. I was in & out of the dealership (including time at the financing department) in less than 2 hours.

I highly recommend their internet sales department. They are a long away for some people. I myself live in Northridge in the San Fernando Valley, which is about 100 miles away. It just so happens that I was at Big Bear over the weekend, and they are sort of on the way home.

There is another big Mazda dealership much closer to me, Galpin Mazda, but I got really turned off by their sales tactics.
  • mpc8240mpc8240 Member Posts: 19
    When checking out Mazda3 specs, under safety & security section, unlike Civic or Focus, no mentioning of ABS at all. Mazda3 don't have ABS or they use different terms? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    ABS is standard on the S-models... I believe it is available as an option on the i-models.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• poe1poe1 Member Posts: 8
    i got my mazda3s a year and a half ago. I did a lot of research and test driving of similar vehicles (civic, corrolla, focus, etc). But the 3 stood out the most.

Anyways, i got a 3s w/ auto tran. I also wanted the side and curtain airbags for additional safety so that was obvioulsy quite a bit extra. The sticker was something like 22,500 (in texas). Well I drove out off the lot at 19,500, t.t.l. The manager didnt want to sell it for that much but it was late, i was the only one still on the lot and i was paying cash. He probably didnt make what he wanted, but moving inventory is important to these guys too.

One trick is to go the last weekend of the month. Dealerships want to move as much inventory as possible.
    Plus, you should be able to drive off the lot for well under the sticker price.
  • judyb2judyb2 Member Posts: 1
    I also had a very bad experience at Ourisman Mazda in Laurel, MD. I got three difference stories from the sales person and two of the sales managers and in the end I'm not really sure any of the information was accurate. After trying to work out a deal for a week, I finally just walked out and will not be going back to that dealership. I had done quite a bit of research on the Mazda3 and it would have been my first Mazda.
  • mycalbmycalb Member Posts: 4
    Hi – Thanks for all of the great info on this forum.
    :)

Just purchased a 07 Mazda3s 5/door GT with auto trans (galaxy grey) today from Tracy Mazda :shades: in Tracy, CA. They’re an exclusive dealer that gets a high allotment of cars. I highly recommend the internet sales process. Very friendly and a smooth transaction.

Had to travel 50+ miles to get the one I wanted. Too many 3s in the Concord, CA area include the expensive navigation system. Was lucky enough to get one right off the truck (only had 1 mile on odometer before the test drive).

I have to warn against purchasing from Senator Mazda :lemon: in Sacramento, CA. Terrible sales staff provide misleading info by confirming available stock and S-plan purchase OK, then denying it with the sales manager when I show up. Very lame waste of time.

07 Mazda3s GT with auto trans, Bose/moonroof package & Sirius radio, purchased at invoice with S-Plan:
    $21,496 + TTL

Also purchased paint, leather, vinyl treatment with 5/yr warranty (with Costco discount):
    $304

Only additional dealer cost was small document fee (didn’t want to argue with them because they were cool):
    $45
  • baccus49baccus49 Member Posts: 60
    Got it from a dealer in northern California over the weekend.

Price was $18,350, that is $250 less than the edmunds.com invoice price for the model, and $450 less than the invoice they showed us (their invoice included the advertising fees).

We also had a $250 auto-show coupon. With the coupon, total out the door price was around 19,850.

Cheers,
  • bartybarty Member Posts: 1
    Don't let a dealer fool you into thinking that a Doc fee is non-negotiable or that "everyone else does it". Its purely a marketing ploy. Sell someone a car right at or slightly below invoice and then stick them with $500-600 in fees, plus the 3% holdback they get from Mazda, and they've still cleared $700-1000.

A $400 "documentation" fee is a farce. Either tell them to eliminate it entirely, or negotiate it down to no more than $100. Their costs to sell you the car, apart from commissions paid to salespeople, are usually less than $70, and that's if they give you a "free" tank of gas! If they still won't relent, then walk out the door. I'm under no obligation to buy anything from them if they won't come to agreeable terms. I can keep my older vehicle on the road for another 50,000 miles or more for $400.

Its time for dealers to understand that for 99% of the public, buying a new car is purely optional.
    Legally, a DOC fee is non negotiable. If it is charged to one, and not someone else, and it is discovered that this occurred, the dealership can be audited, and may have to refund every customer the doc fee they paid. I do not know of any dealer that would be so stupid.

If you are one who dickers with that, the dealer will take it off of the vehicle, but, on paper, you will still pay the doc fee. That is the legal way to do it.