Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Legally, a DOC fee is non negotiable ... the dealership can be audited

Audited by who?

I can understand that this business practice must appear to be fair but I question if a case can be made about this. Businesses are entitled to charge what they determine to be a reasonable price for a good/service; the problem for many consumers is accepting fees that are added after a negotiated transaction has been calculated. If dealers showed these fees as part of the negotiation then there may be less friction at the end. Life would so simple if a cost breakdown could be shown upfront: (MSRP + Options) - Discount + (Freight + Handling + Doc + License + Taxes) = Out the Door Price.
  • Options
    coosamtncoosamtn Member Posts: 47
    Their sale started yesterday . They're selling all in stock 3's at invoice + 4.25% taxes + $17 t&t + $289 Adm fee = OTD. I test drove a Silver 3i Touring Sedan with no options yesterday, absolutely loved it and will be bringing him/her home on Monday. I forget the exact price, but it was like $16873.05 OTD. I told the Salesman I wouldn't deal unless they knocked off the nickle. He gave me a nickle out of his pocket and made the sale.
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I believe the better business bureau, I think. It has never happened to me, so, I really do not know.

All dealer fees are supposed to be on display in the dealership, and that is supposed to be charges to everyone, no exceptions.

The only instances where this can be excluded is if you are purchasing a wholesale piece, with a wholesaler license.

In a perfect world, all of this would be disclosed by salesmen once numbers start to fly, however, we do not live in a prefect world. There are still to many idiotic salesmen out there.
  • Options
    stoaviostoavio Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of help here. I'm a first time buyer with a fixed budget and would like to know what kind M3i sedan I can get in the sub $12,000 range. I don't need anything extravagant and am willing to sacrifice certain features to stay within my budget. The only feature I require is air conditioning, which from what I've gathered costs about $880.00.

Initially I had planned on buying a new 07 Mazda 3i but my financial circumstances have changed slightly and so I have to compromise. Surely, a 2004 or possibly even 2005 model can be had for 12k OTD or less, right? Ideally the car would come under full warrantee and in new or like-new condition.

I'm looking namely for a Mazda 3i 4-door sedan in Titanium Gray, preferably a 2004 model or newer.

I'd appreciate any help. So far, it seems as though even some of the used cars are only 2 or 3k less expensive than a brand new 07 from the dealer (which is confusing to me.) Where is a good place to look for used cars? I plan on putting about 5k down and financing the residual amount. I'd like to keep the monthly payments at $200.00 or less.

Thanks,
    Mason
  • Options
    el_chupacabrael_chupacabra Member Posts: 17
    were are you from stoavio ..and yes you can get i Touring Styles for 12,13
  • Options
    stoaviostoavio Member Posts: 15
    I'm from Muskegon, Michigan.
  • Options
    abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    Do not waste your time on Grecco Mazda... unless you like being treated as an idiot!
  • Options
    surhar17surhar17 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Please help! I'm a 1st time buyer!!

I'm moving to L.A. for a job and either will buy here in Ohio or LA.

Quoted in Ohio $17,318, out-of-door estimate =$18,926.61.

IS out-of-door quote correct? Find any offers in LA similiar? Need to justify driving this to CALI!!!

2007 Mazda3 itouring (autom) w/ ABS and moonroof pkgs, Silvr
  • Options
    stuartfstuartf Member Posts: 8
    If you are moving to LA, you may need to have a CA spec car and therefore need to purchase it in CA (or the New England States that use CA standards).

Check out the CARB site to verify
  • Options
    surhar17surhar17 Member Posts: 5
    hey thanks. i talked to the service dept at a mazda dealership in ohio, and they said the 2007's are all 50-state emissions certified so nothing would need to be changed bringing it into cali.
  • Options
    suv_shoppinsuv_shoppin Member Posts: 4
    Looking at possibly getting a mazda3 and don't know the difference between the models yet. I would like a sunroof and a good stero and power windows/locks, etc. I also want black exterior and a spoiler.

What model should I be looking for and approximately how much $? Paying cash if that matters.

Live in the tampa bay area.

Thanks.
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I am purchasing a Galaxy Grey hatch from Fitzgerald Auto Mall in Frederick MD.

The model I am getting is the Touring with 5AT and 6 CD / moonroof package. I was quoted an out the door price of $20,928.

The dealer is finding the car I want and I should be purchasing next week. So far the process has been very easy with no pressure and quick replies to all questions.
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    There are 2 types of Mazda 3, the i and the s.

The i models come with a 150 hp, 135 lb-ft 2.0 liter I4 with either a 5 speed manual or 4 speed automatic, and is only available in the sedan configuration.

The s models come with a 156 hp, 150 lb-ft 2.3 liter I4 with either a 5 speed manual or 5 speed automatic, and is available in both sedan and 5 door hatchback configurations.

There are then 3 'grades' of the Mazda 3. Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. The 3i comes in Sport or Touring. The 3s comes in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring.

If you want the i model, you would have to get the Touring to get the power windows/locks, keyless entry, etc. You would also have to add the 6 CD / moonroof package and the rear wing spoiler. Edmunds' TMV is around $18,700

You could also get an s model, with a Sport model, and also add the 6 CD / moonroof and rear wing spoiler. Edmunds' TMV is around $19,700.

Both prices assume 4 door model with the automatic transmission.

Basically, for around $1,000 you get the more powerful engines plus maybe a few other differences.
  • Options
    jc22jc22 Member Posts: 17
    Got an online quote from Maxon Mazda in Union, New Jersey for a S-Touring Galaxy Grey Mica with grey interior and no options. Went down and spent two hours with B.D. and left with the car for $19,723 (New Jersey residents must pay for a 4-year car registration fee). Wanted to pay $200 less, but could not find a grey interior any where else. Experience was quick and some-what painless. Just stand firm on paying for the VIN etching.

Hope this helps.

JC
  • Options
    carteracartera Member Posts: 1
    Got a price of $15k for an '05 hatch, standard equipment but optional airbags added and 19k miles. When I went to test drive, it wouldn't start - battery needed a jump. Salesman says this just happens sometimes when they sit - I have never had it happen. It had only been at the dealer since 12/12. Had a terrible grinding in the back when I drove off and I am aware of the problem with the rear brakes so I assume that can be fixed. Carfax says it was a commercial lease, that was sold at auction and it sat at another dealer from Aug to Dec and then came to this dealer. Car is priced below a similar model with no extra airbags and more miles - I see issues but is there any reason to think I can't get these problems solved since I am aware of the TSBs and won't buy it until it checks out? It is certified so I get the rest of the 50k bumper to bumper warranty, dealer adds another 12k and then I get the remainder of a 100K limited warranty.
  • Options
    pipi_thetapipi_theta Member Posts: 2
    I've just bought my 3-i touring MT today (with no extra options).
    I got about $400 below the invoice and the OTD was about $168XX. The APR was 1.9%.
    The whole buying process was painless and smooth.
    I just wonder if it's a good deal.
    Any comments???
  • Options
    nicoleswacknicoleswack Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone I'm new:)

I have been looking at the 2007 Mazda3 I sport automatic
    The options I have selected are solely air, and abs brakes. I really only want the car in black or phantom purple.

I have been quoted an out the door price of 16,100$ for the 2007 mazda3 I, automatic with ac and abs with tossed in features of tinted windows and vin etching. I was quoted this price after going back and forth between 4 dealers and this is the best price I have gotten so far. This dealership has the car in stock but only in grey and they have 6 in stock. The best quote I recieved from the only other dealership that has the car in stock was 16,400 but the car only has ac and would not come with abs, tinted or vin etching.But its purple.

I was also quoted 16278 "out the door" from a different dealership for the same package however this car has a spolier.But this dealer wants a deposit "today" because they don't have the car in stock nor do they have the car at all in any color so no matter what I would have to wait. and I'm not willing to put down a deposit hearing all your horror stories and because I don't want to purchase the car for another week to two weeks.But this dealership seems to be the one willing to try and get me the best price?

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    The APR was 1.9%.

I take it you took the 36 mo term.

The special financing on the Mazda3 now is incredable. I am rather surprised they did it. All should take advantage.
  • Options
    natharnathar Member Posts: 10
    Any factory to dealer incentives out there on the Mazda 3's? I was hoping for something considerably less than invoice, but I don't want to waste time getting blood from a stone.

Any rumors of better deals next month? President's Day always seems to be such a push for car sales.
  • Options
    legallyblegallyb Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm a first time car buyer. I just bought a 2007 Mazda 3 Sport (hatchback) GT model with no other options for $27,412.13 CDN. Did I get ripped off? :cry: I'm in British Columbia, Canada, so our tax is 13%!

27.90 BC battery fee
    3,211.13 GST & PST (tax)
    (500) grad rebate
    27,412.13 TOTAL
  • Options
    ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    2007 M3 5 door, 5 spd, NO sunroof/6 cd package. Sticker $18,271 (after that ridiculous $595 destination crap). Offered $17,229 and got it. TTL were all within normal amounts. Took discounted financing. Tom Masano in Reading Pa - salesman and dealer were great.
  • Options
    tufeitufei Member Posts: 1
    MSRP is $16,170, got it ($200 below invoice price + TTL + 6.25% Tax) at Austin, Texas.

Test drove and thought it's okay to buy, so got it with 1.9% APR financing, this promotion ends on Jan 31, 2007.

The experience is very smooth. Thanks to all of your posts that helped me getting this price.
  • Options
    bill112bill112 Member Posts: 6
    Just drove it home.

My wife has a 2005s Sedan that we really like. I wanted something a little different for the sake of variety and was particularly interested in the new 2007 Elantra. Went to the Hyundai store to check it out--horrible dealer experience. And, they say that Hyundai isn't producing 5-speed (manual transmission) Elantra's yet.

Went to the Mazda dealer and had a very, very smooth experience. Test drove several vehicles, they gave me "best prices" without quibbling. Bottom line, I got the Mazda 3 Sport hatchback, 5-speed, 17-inch alloy wheels, ABS, etc., for $15,300. Out-the-Door with tax, title, license, etc. for $17,296. For reference, this is in the San Diego area.

Anyway, we've really enjoyed the wife's Mazda 3--have never had a lick of trouble out of it. Looking forward to a similar experience with this new car.

Regards,
    Bill
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I've seen stick Elantras at dealers. Some salespeople will say anything to get you to buy what they have in stock now.

But since you like how the Mazda3 drives, you'll probably like your new hatchback more than the Elantra--plus the 2007 Elantra doesn't come in a hatchback.
  • Options
    regattagirlregattagirl Member Posts: 7
    Hi again,
    Just picked up my new Mazda3 S Grand Touring 5-door in Black Mica. She is BEAUTIFUL!! Car was custom ordered so that I could get a 5 speed, signed the purchase order September 5th- car delivered January 20th. Worth the wait- love it!!!! Wonderful salesman- fun experience, Eagle Auto Mall in Riverhead, Long Island.

Options- Bose audio and moonroof package, moonroof wind deflector, rear bumper step plate, cargo net, all weather cargo tray, all weather floor mats.

paid $21,076 + 8.65% sales tax in NY, plates, reg, title, NY tire waste fee, silly $55 dealer fee for processing= OTD final price of 23,071.31

It's all good ;)
  • Options
    Backy--yes, the dealership was staffed by the classic hard sell sort of folks that really put me off. It did seem odd to me that Hyundai wouldn't be producing them in 5-speed yet.

Regardless, I do like my new Mazda 3 5-Door very much.

Regattagirl--congrats on the new car. We're just alike (except you probably have more hair): Mine's Black Mica as well. I'm hoping it won't show scratches the same way that a classic black finish does. Have my fingers crossed.

All best,
    Bill
  • Options
    dkwondkwon Member Posts: 2
    I've got a quote from a NY dealer for a 07 3S Touring 4Dr Auto sedan. The options are Moonroof/6CDchanger plus a rear spoiler (trust me, didn't want that, it's what's on the lot).

called as a costco member, he tacked onto the invoice ($19,611): +$241 advertising fee, +$250 costco markup, +$595 destination fee. All else matches invoice. What do you guys think? Above market is okay for the '07 S Touring?
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    $15,300 is about $1700 below invoice (which sounds a little too good to be true to me). just a quick question, what were the dealer fees charged, if any? (such as a dealer prep fee, doc fee, etc)
  • Options
    nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "called as a costco member, he tacked onto the invoice ($19,611): +$241 advertising fee, +$250 costco markup, +$595 destination fee. All else matches invoice. What do you guys think? Above market is okay for the '07 S Touring? "

does the $19,611 include the 595 destination charge, cause it seems it should?
  • Options
    jicbulkjicbulk Member Posts: 25
    dkwon-
    Quick look at nada.com shows an invoice of $19,699 INCLUDING $595 destination for this car. If you've got a price of $20,200 out the door for the car, I'd say you're doing Ok.

-Jicbulk
  • Options
    dkwondkwon Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, I hate when people forget a major part of their first posting...I forgot to mention leather seats are on the invoice as well, which adds another $507. Thank you, you guys are really nice checking my math and also replying. So the invoice with nothing else is $20,206.

Also, update, the salesman just called me back and knocked off $300 "because another salesman was showing the car" (blah blah blah). So now i'm at invoice +$191 ($20,397) "advertising fee", nothing else but TTI. Seems good, right?

D
  • Options
    xbodhixbodhi Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the price of getting a 2007 Mazda 3s Touring Sedan with a manual transmission in the San Jose/Sacramento/Bay Area? Any good deals out there? Any recomendations?
  • Options
    jicbulkjicbulk Member Posts: 25
    on a Mazda3 S Touring Sedan with 5 spd
    Only option I wanted was the Moonroof/Cd package in Phantom Blue (we have a grey truck and a silver CR-V, so I had to go different...).

Tully Mazda in Nashua, NH gave us the AAA deal of $300 over invoice. Showed me the invoice which matches Edmunds exactly. They add in a $25 title fee and $99 admin fee which are very competitive here in New England. They actually did a search for the car and found one in RI that also had the wheel locks. No problem and we pick it up a week from today. Looking forward to it.... :shades:

-Jicbulk
  • Options
    kchandrankchandran Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

We're looking to buy a 3i Touring with the "Safety" Package (ABS/SAC). I've been calling around dealers in NY/NJ/PA and the best offer I have so far is:

$15,865
    $595 (destination charge)
    $1378.50 Tax (NY 8.375%)
    $129 (Dealer document fee)
    $131 (Title, plates, and reg.)
    ------
    $18,099 Grand Total

Am I being tooken?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    Kartik
  • Options
    nthe,

You're correct. I got over-excited (and confused). The price was just under $15,900 and the OTD was just under $17,300. The particular car was an advertising lead-in from the newspaper (those cars actually exist!). They did not charge me any of the dealer prep or other tack ons. And to top it off, they were very pleasant and efficient--really nice folks.

Regards,
    Bill
  • Options
    dag63dag63 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Mazda3 GT, 5 speed, with the moonroof/Bose added for $19,491+TTL (about $1200 in Texas). Dealer says it's $1000 UNDER invoice and checked out on Edmunds (except for $225 for local dealer's association fee). Good price? Dealer was also fair on trade-in ('97 Volvo 850). It sounded too good to pass up.
  • Options
    jharrisctjharrisct Member Posts: 18
    Hello,

I received a price of $21620 for the 3s 4 dr, 5 speed manual, Moonroof & Bose & Sirius. Does this price sound pretty reasonable?

Thanks!
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Is that a regular S or the Grand Touring?
  • Options
    Yes, it's for the Grand Touring model
  • Options
    Seems a lil high but i dont recall how much the Sirius was. I got an 07 M3SGT 5-speed with the roof and six disk for 20,725. Went out and bought a sirius kit for my car so i can take it from one car to another. Made more sense to me that way.
  • Options
    Oh ok Thanks!

I believe it was about 600 or so, I don't have my paperwork here.

I'm also trying to figure out if the CD changer will play MP3's I'm getting conflcting info, would you happen to know if the Bose/6CD changer package plays MP3's?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Never tried an MP3 in my player so i cant really comment on it. The MSRP on Sirius is $430 on edmunds and invoice is $344. What part of the country are you in again?
  • Options
    The MSRP on Sirius is $430 on edmunds and invoice is $344. What part of the country are you in again?

Keep in mind, that price is if you order it from the factory. If the dealer has to install it, it is more. You cannot go by Edmunds if it is dealer installed. $600 is about what retail is on that dealer installed.
  • Options
    My suggestion would be what i did. Go buy a kit from best buy that has the car set up in it. Then you can move it from car to car if you wanted. If you really wanted you could get the home kit hook it up to your stereo and use it there too. Its a few extra wires but i love mine. Its less expensive then factory and more versatile.
  • Options
    drinkduff77drinkduff77 Member Posts: 8
    You guys know that if you get the dealer/factory sat radio, it disables the aux input too, right? If you want both the sat radio and the aux input to work you have to buy a switchbox too. It costs $120 and (I think) it's only available through the dealer. This was a deal breaker for me. I'll just go aftermarket that I can take out of the car and still make use of the aux input.

It kind of disappoints me that Mazda a) isn't very forthcoming about this in any of their literature, and b) couldn't develop an audio system where the aux input is still usable without having to buy the switchbox for $120 on top of the $430-$600 for the sat radio.
  • Options
    I found out about that wile doing some more research. It is a little disappointing but I think I can live with it.

I'm still enjoying the system as a whole so far :)
  • Options
    I'm in the Northeast
  • Options
    rugennixierugennixie Member Posts: 3
    I haven't seen any recent prices on a Speed3. What have people been getting lately. I'm looking to buy in the next week and of the 2 dealers that I've talked to so far, one wants $3,000 over sticker with "no room to move" plus several dealer fees, and the other says that they are selling them at $1,000 to $1,500 over sticker. I'm just wondering what kind of actual prices people have gotten lately. Most of the MazdaSpeed dealers in my area (southeast) have 1 to 3 MazdaSpeed 3 cars right now.
  • Options
    apocalypsoapocalypso Member Posts: 12
    Been offered the following:

3i Touring, with ABS/SAB/SAC
    Ice Blue/Beige, $18,045 M.S.R.P.

$16,200 net, + tax, tag, and $397 dealer svc. fee

Seems like a good deal - this is after a bit of back and forth between two dealers in N. Carolina.

Thoughts?

Scott
  • Options
    jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    Re: "$16,200 net, + tax, tag, and $397 dealer svc. fee"

Sounds about right for the MSRP for that package, but what's with the "dealer svc. fee?" I don't think I'd pay that. Cross it out on the cost sheet and see what they say.