Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• apocalypsoapocalypso Member Posts: 12
    Well, let's call it a doc fee or whatever. Usually have to pay something in addition to tax and tag, right?

Scott
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    Google auxmod

Cost $50

In my 06 3, I have the Mazda Sirius kit (That I installed) with an aux input for my Creative Zen

Car looks so much cleaner with the integrated satellite
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    That sounds pretty darn good to me! But I would question that dealer serv fee... What kind of % rate did they offer? other than that, you should go for it!
  • apocalypsoapocalypso Member Posts: 12
    The typical through end of February interest rates: 3.9% for 60 months.

Guess I will question the dealer service fee. Interestingly enough, another dealer says they'll match the price, and throw in free lifetime oil changes, free tires at 30,000 miles, and a video ipod. Anyone familiar with that kind of offer? (Especially the oil change and tires?) Is there a catch?

Scott
  • bhaffarbhaffar Member Posts: 1
    2007 Mazda3 I Touring
    ABS, Moonroof, Compass Mirror, All Weather Floormats
    Black Mica/Black

Price of car: $16,673.00
    Service Fee: $95.00
    Price including fee: $16,768.00
    Tax,title, license: $902.90
    ===================================
    Total Out The Door: $17,670.90
    ===================================
  • rugennixierugennixie Member Posts: 3
    Well, today I worked out the following deal on a Speed3 GT:

$24,101 ($489 under MSRP on GT with wheel locks)
    $599 doc fee
    -$250 Zoom Zoom Live Coupon
    $24,450 TOTAL
    They extended the financing offer, so thats good! I purchased my 3 ending of last month & also got 3.9 for 60 mo... (Actually I got the first bill today.)
    Wow, the other dealer willing to offer that stuff. Hmm, maybe they Really need to move cars. I have not heard of that where I live but if you do decide to go w/them, make sure to get everything in writing & read everything carefully!! Good luck on your decision!
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    got you back with that doc fee
  • bsbcbsbc Member Posts: 10
    If you don't mind me asking, what else was on that i touring besides ABS package to get it up to $18045?

Thanks!

Jason
  • mazda3s1mazda3s1 Member Posts: 2
    Mazda 3s, automatic, aurora blue mica, abs/sab
    sticker price is $18,900 and the dealer tells me $100 over the invoice of $18,100 which would put the price at $18,200

if i was to say $17,000 and i'll buy it right now, will they let me walk or counter back?

also, do they get any kickbacks for selling the mazda 3
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    According to edmunds.com, the invoice on this car is $17,692. So you might print out that page and if the dealer says the invoice is $18,100, ask to see it.

You can offer any price you want. The worst that can happen is they say "no", or some other words, perhaps more colorful, to that effect (or maybe laugh a bit). But they might say "yes" or counter-offer. If you catch the dealer at just the right moment, e.g. they need to sell one more car to get some special incentives from Mazda, maybe they'll sell you the car for $700 under invoice. But the odds aren't on your side.
  • dontnomuchdontnomuch Member Posts: 2
    Found an '07 Mazda3 s Touring wagon with 5 speed, leather, moonroof/6 cd package for $19240. True Red with black interior. I think that's about $220 over invoice (according to Edmunds.) I didn't think I would ever find a manual combined with leather. I would have preferred a more sedate exterior color but I can't complain. I maybe could have talked them down a little more but they paid off my trade-in.

Anyway, good dealer experience and a great little car!!
  • jharrisctjharrisct Member Posts: 18
    I was so glad they were able to find a manual combined with leather for me too :)

I toyed with getting a 5-door as well. Actually I said either or, but the combo of the GT with the manual just was difficult to find.

I'm at 600 miles now so I started having a little more fun as well. So far i'm enjoying it :)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I just started shopping for a 3s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (automatic). MSRP of $22,675, invoice of $21,152 including the moonroof, 6-CD and Bose Audio Package. Dealer's Internet Dept. quoted $20,975 which is $1,700 off MSRP, or $177 below invoice. Is this a good deal?
  • deligreendeligreen Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I have been following this board for the last few months while I was deployed in Afghanistan. I decided to look for a Mazda 3, 5-door, Touring. We found one in Aurora Blue. The MSRP for the vehicle was $19,930. They found on, in a search that included all weather mats. The mats were an additional $60. I talked the dealership down to $19,270 and $30 on the mats. Total for the vehicle was $19,300. After taxes and all the other garbage OTD was $18,019.50

Does anyone else have a better deal? Oh yeah it is an Auto transmit ion.
  • regattagirlregattagirl Member Posts: 7
    This is what I paid- but it was a manual transmission and 5 door:

Mazda3 S Grand Touring-5 door

Options- Bose audio and moonroof package, moonroof wind deflector, rear bumper step plate, cargo net, all weather cargo tray, all weather floor mats.

paid $21,076 + 8.65% sales tax in NY, plates, reg, title, NY tire waste fee, silly $55 dealer fee for processing= OTD final price of 23,071.31
    Thanks, regattagirl for your reply. If my math is correct your car as equipped had a MSRP of $21,970 and invoice price of $20,462. Your price of $21,131 (including dealer fee) was $669 above invoice. From this and reading about other recent transactions here it looks like anything close to invoice or a shade over is a good deal.
  • jc22jc22 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for Andreas of Mazda3Forums I was able to unlock my trip computer on my 07 Mazda 3. It works for 06 too!

1. Press and hold down CD and AM/FM buttons
    2. Start your car while still pressing down on those buttons
    3. The display will read, "DIS ON" which means Driver Information System On.
    4. Release the CD and AM/FM buttons
    5. Turn off and restart the car
    6. Now press the Set button and cycle through your avg. mpg, miles until empty, current mpg!

Now you can truly know your Real MPG numbers! Which might be a mixed blessing!

Please pass this info to others!

JC
    This works for all 3 models? Even just the S Sport sedan? And it won't mess anything else up? :shades:
  • rugennixierugennixie Member Posts: 3
    A couple of weeks ago, I e-mailed Mazda asking them if the 2006 Zoom Zoom Live coupons were still any good. I didn't get an answer back before I went to go but my new Speed3, so I asked the dealership after we had come to an agreed price. They took it and gave me an extra $250 off. Today, I finally got the reply back from Mazda which said that the 2006 Zoom Zoom Live coupons were only good for cars purchased in 2006.

I guess someone forgot to tell my dealership!
    Here is the deal I just finalized yesterday:

2007 Mazda3s 4 Door Grand Touring
    Automatic
    Moonroof/Bose
    Auto Dimming Mirror w/Compass & Homelink
    All Weather Mats
    Cargo Mat

MSRP - $23,025
    Invoice - $21,432
    Paid - $21,642.70 + 6.5% Tax, Title & Licence + $50 Doc Fee = $22,364.23 Out the Door

Price would have been $188 closer to invoice but the chosen car did not have the mirror, so with installation that came to $388 - if installed at the factory the invoice is $200.

Financed for 36 months at 1.9%, but signed up for biweekly payment plan which effectively brings interest rate down to 0%.

I am very happy with this deal, and the car!
  • mazda3s1mazda3s1 Member Posts: 2
    A mazda dealer offered me a
    2007 Mazda3s 4 Door Sport
    Automatic trans
    sab/sac package
    (no floor mats, no cargo net, no moonroof, etc...)

MSRP - $18880
    Invoice - $17692
    Price - $17099 with destination fee (or so they claim) but before ttl which would put it around like $18500

Salesman said outright that he wants me to buy the car before next month

Car is supposed to come in Monday (being transferred) so i have yet to look at it, and if it's good i will purchase it on Wednesday (last day of the month).

I'm a bit skeptical about the price since the lowest i got from any other dealer is $17700. Then again i worked at a dealership at one point and the salesmen got nice bonuses if they hit certain marks.
  • jmecheruljmecherul Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys
    Here is a deal I got from a Mazda Dealer for Mazda 3 S Grand Touring. I am supposed to go get it tomorrow. Let me know what you think.

Edmunds says (including destination charge):
    MSRP: $20630 INVOICE: $19322
    plus the $174 mazda advertisement fee (would put Invoice at $19496)

$19496 (includes wheel locks, pearl white paint, destination charges and a mazda chanrged advertisement fee that is on the invoice)
    +$250 Documentation fees
    -------------------------------------
    $19,746
    +$10.50 (temporary tags)
    +$15.00 (Title fee)
    +$1,480.95 (7.5% tax on $19,746)
    =========================
    $21,252.45
    ----------------------------------------------
    $20,752.45 Final Price out the door with a $500 discount

Thanks

Jmecherul
  • fedriverfedriver Member Posts: 8
    Bought an iTouring with auto and airbag option for $800 below invoice from Tracy Mazda. I did it entirely over the phone and internet. They even delivered it to my house with paperwork. Fantasic! They even called me today and told me they will come get my car for servicing and return when done (I live about 40 miles away). MSRP $18045, invoice $16903, purchased for $16103.
  • tornabrupttornabrupt Member Posts: 4
    I traded a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, Shortbed Quad Cab, 4x4, 5.9L, with 45,000 miles. I got 13,500 trade in on it and paid 3,350 OTD for a Mazda3 itouring, automatic, with antilock brakes. Making my total supposedly around 16,850.
  • floodyfloody Member Posts: 4
    I have my eye on a used 2006 mazda3 GT hatchback. Its a 5 speed manual car loaded with everything, incluing GPS. It has 13300 miles on the odometer, and the dealer is asking for $18,000.

Is this a good deal? the dealer price seems to be less than the KBB value, but I've seen other cars online (carmax and automotive.com) that have more miles and sell for less.

Any idea on how much to quote the dealer for haggling?

Thanks

floody
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    floody--

I just bought a brand new Mazda3 S Touring Hatch 5 speed for $19K with a few options. Mazda is offering 1.8% financing on new for up to 36 months. So you might want to compare new vs. used by plugging in some difference finance rates/terms. I'm not sure what used rates are right now, but I'm guessing 7%-9%. I'm also guessing you'd pay $22K-$23K for a comparably equipped 07 so $18K sounds pretty reasonable. Would you be financing? Extending the warranty? Putting on lots of miles?

Gogiboy
  • goldphishegoldphishe Member Posts: 1
    plus the wind deflector, all weather floor mats & wheel locks.

$18,450

(1300 below invoice)
    Thanks

I will be financing the vehicle. My only concern is that this used to be a fleet vehicle and they put on 13K miles in ~5 months, although the carfax history is clean. Do I need to be concerned because it was a fleet vehicle, and should its price come down because of it?
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    floody--

You'll probably get a variety of responses to your question about fleet cars. Remember, you should have the remaining factory warranty (3/36) and powertrain. You might consider extending the warranty for peace of mind. With fleet cars you have potential pros and cons. 13K miles isn't that many and there may be available records to determine whether scheduled maintenance was done and whether any issues arose and were addressed. Of course the one negative usually cited is that any number of folks could have driven it, possibly irresponsibly. You could always pay to have an independent mechanic check it over. One huge advantage is that someone else took the biggest depreciation hit.

Gogiboy
  • a4b5a4b5 Member Posts: 17
    Yesterday I brought home my Speed 3 GT for a total OTD price of $24933.50. I bought from Walser Mazda in Burnsville MN, and would highly recommend them.

There were no options on the car, no add ons, and no trade in was involved. The breakout was as follows:

24,550 = MSRP
    (1,500)
    -------
    23,050 = Price of Car

+ 335.25 registration / title
    + 50 doc fee
    + 1498.25 MN sales tax @ 6.5%
    =======
    $24933.50
  • pmckaypmckay Member Posts: 6
    Last week in Anchorage AK I used S-Plan pricing and bought a Phantom Blue 5-door Touring model with Auto, Moonroof and 6 CD, and rubber mats for 20k. 1.9% financing made me feel good.
  • erasmus354erasmus354 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a Mazda3 GT right now.

I want only three options on the car: Moonroof package, Rear Wing Spoiler, and a cargo mat. MSRP $23,050

First dealer offers me 22,496 in my third color choice (Black). It doesn't have the spoiler or the cargo mat, but I think the price he gave me included having those installed.

Second dealer offers me 21,111 in my first color choice (Aurora Blue). It does not have the spoiler, and to install it I was quoted 560, also doesn't have the cargo mat, but that is only like 40. So all told I estimate 21,711. The second dealer also has my second color choice (Galaxy Gray) with all the options I want, and I was quoted 21,411.

Do you think the first dealer will lower his price? He was the one I test drove with and I liked him...but not enough to pay more for the car.

Also the prices that the second dealer quoted me is 300$ under invoice for each car...seems too good to be true. What kind of "gotcha's" should I be looking out for?
  • cchicagocchicago Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 5-door Hatch GT in Aurora Blue Yesterday

Options:
    Bose/Moonroof
    Auto Dim Mirror w/Homelink

MSRP: 21,975
    Invoice: 20,764
    Price Paid (Incl Destination): 20,248

Note -- Invoice does not inlcude $396 dealer holdback.

I did everything via e-mail. I e-mailed several dealers specificing the car I wanted along with the inovice information and I said I would purchase the car from the dealer with the lowest price. I received quotes within 24 hours. Three dealers were at the same price, one was $500 higher and another $800 higher.
  • cchicagocchicago Member Posts: 8
    My car is a Manual Transmission
    I bought a 2006 Mazda3 GT yesterday. It came fully loaded with leather and navigation and has 13333 miles on it. I paid $17000 + tax from John Finger Mazda in Greenville, SC. Good dealership!

The dealer did not have a navigation dvd though. Can anyone tell me how I can get the dvd? Is it expensive?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    The dealer did not have a navigation dvd though. Can anyone tell me how I can get the dvd? Is it expensive?

I would have made the dealer supply the disc and if they did not have it put it on the "we owe" document.

Normally for Mazda NAV discs you order them direct from NavTeq: Here is the link, click on the Store icon. They don't have a listing for a 2006 3, the 2004-2005 3 DVDs - like most other DVDs they sell - is $199 + shipping. I think they changed the disc format for 06, so older discs would not work. I would call Navteq and see what they say.

You can also find them from time to time of fleabay, folks steal them from cars and sell them or perhaps get them from wrecks or something. A lot of folks will try to sell their old discs online once they upgrade, but who wants old maps?

Dennis
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I buy a dvd for another Mazda model (say the RX-8) and use it with the Mazda 3?
    I don't know - it is possible. I would call Navteq or e-mail them and ask where to get the disc for your 2006 since it is not listed online. It is probably available, but since it is the same disc that SHOULD have been in the car they don't list it for sale. You could also check on fleabay or at junkyards - just buy a disc that was working in a 2006 3 and it should work in your car. Anything else, probably would not.

Dennis
  • arbybarbie1979arbybarbie1979 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm very new to Mazda. I currently own an 06 ford focus that I'm sick of and want to trade it in for the Mazda 3. Salesman usually eat me up, so this time I'm doing all the research I can before I go. What prices should I consider a good deal? I'm in Texas if that helps. I was thinking 17000.00? Does that sound about right? What features are important?

Thanks!
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    I am new to this site also, and I recently bought a new 2007 S Grand Touring Mazda. I paid $100 above invoice. Get a good deal and all the options that you want when you buy the car. When you do this, then there is more room to adjust the price. The larger down payment that you have and the higher FICO score, you will get a great deal. Trust me on this, They love buyers that are like this. I got 1.9% for 3 years. I put down $15,000 and walked away with a $27,000 for $23,600 :)
    You are doing the right thing - asking for help before they "eat you up" :D

What I would do:

Do an online appraisal here on Edmunds, KBB, NADA on your current Focus. Put in the color, options, miles, and be honest about the condition. What does the trade in value look like? If you have it financed call the bank and get a current payoff on it. If the trade value looks like enough to cover the payoff, then step 1 is complete. If not, you may want to suffer with the Focus a while longer until you get it paid down enough to be "right side up" on the loan.

If you decide to go ahead with trying to trade - I could again look here on Edmunds for "what others are paying" for the Mazda 3 equipped like you want. Check for incentives, cheap financing, dealer money, etc. Also build and price it at www.carsdirect.com and see what the invoice and "target price" are ($300 over invoice in my area). That gives you an idea of what you should pay for the new car.

So now you know what your car is worth and what a new one should cost you - should be easier to get a good deal now that saying "I was thinking 17000.00", right?

If possible, I would get pre-qualified for financing before visiting the dealer as well. Go through your bank or credit union and check the rates at peoplefirst.com. If you have locked in low financing and know the price for a new car and the value of your trade, the rest should be pretty easy.

If you know someone who works for Ford or Mazda or has a relative that does, you may can get an S-plan PIN from them for low no-haggle pricing (about invoice) on a new Mazda.

As to what options, I would not buy any new car without ABS and would try real hard not to buy one that does not have side/head air bags and stability control. I don't think stability control is offered on the 3i, but the others are in an inexpensive package.

Dennis
    Before you buy any car, Please do an extensive research online, especially at Edmunds.com, I have found this site to be awesome and very helpful. The forums is also awesome and very helpful. Before you go to any dealer, have all your facts straight and be wise. What worked for me, is that I told the salesman that a "J" car in made in Japan 100% that you can tell from the vin#. He had no idea of this. There are many other things that I told him about the Mazda 3 S Grand Touring that he didn't know about. Therefore, basically I sold myself the car $100 above invoice and got many extras at cost. The more you know the better you will be at the dealership, if not, they will rip you off.
  • klaw2000klaw2000 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought:
    Mazda3 s Grand Touring
    Black Mica
    5-door Hatchback
    Manual Transmission

Options:
    Bose Audio & Moonroof package
    Compass/Auto-dim Mirror w/ Homelink
    Rear bumper step plate
    Wheel locks

MSRP: $22,200
    Invoice: $20,846

Paid invoice: $20,846 (yes, invoice!)

Bought it through the dealership's online sales manager. I'm telling you this is the way to go. I spoke with internet sales guys at several dealerships of different brands as well, and was offered invoice or below on nearly every car that I looked at. These guys are completely pressure free and some of the nicest guys I've ever met at a dealership.

Once you know what make/model you want, use Edmunds or KBB or CarsDirect or any of those sites - you enter your contact info and what car you are looking for, and you automatically get emailed price quotes from several dealers in your area. Find the best quote, go down and check out the car, and seal the deal. 100% positive experience, saves time of traveling to 5 different dealers, and gets you amazing prices.
    AWESOME!!! THAT IS WHAT I ALSO HAVE DONE TOO. ;)
    I got my pricing online and took it to the dealership and was out the door in 3-4 hours. I would of been out a lot sooner, but I was watching the Laker game on their 67 inch plasma TV enjoying all the free starbucks that I could drink. I got my car for $100.00 above invoice. You beat me as far as Invoice. Darn. GOOD JOB!!! ;)

NICE CAR?? PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS OK. :)
  • calvinccalvinc Member Posts: 11
    Being a first time car buyer, there's a good amount to worry about. I want to get everything sorted out before going to the dealership to make sure I don't get a fast one pulled on me. Once I've got the price of the car settled, they add their tax tags etc. I think I'm fine with that. So then I subtract my down payment from the total, and say I have 10k left that I want to finance with the 1.9% deal. When I go to finance that amount, how do I know it's being done properly? Are those guys in finance trying to sell me things too? Are there any fees that I should expect to pay to finance or is it strictly 10k@1.9% for 36 months, with payments equal to that calculated when you use sites like Edmunds to do a "payment estimator."? Thanks!
    Calvinc,

Very good questions, I will answer them for you to help you out. I have bought and sold over 15 cars in my life and I am 33 years old, therefore, I know how to wheel and deal.
    1.9% is an awesome deal, that is what Mazda is offering now, since they have no rebates on these cars. My finance loan is for 36 months at 1.9% and is for $10,050. My payments are $283.50 a month. Yours should be the exact same amount. Mazda can loan from over 36 banks, therefore all of them will compete, However, if you do the math that is what you will pay. At 1.9% you can't go wrong and also you can not take a loan out for a longer period of time at 1.9%, since this is from Mazda, if you loan from them.

Most Finance departments are experts, they need to be, since they are dealing with money. When they print your contract, two people check it over and make sure all is correct.

Will they try to sell you an extended warranty? you bet, they have to disclose this to you, if not and you call them on it, then they will have to give it to you for free. I read this somewhere and my friend got one for free. If you refuse the warranty and add-on's like I did, then they will make you sign paperwork stating that. However if you change your mind about the extended warranty, you have 30 days to either cancel or buy one with no penalty to you. That is all written on the paperwork.

FYI: I think these cars are awesome and therefore buying an extended warranty will be a waste of money, in my opinion.

That is all that I remember them trying to sell me. No hassle. I told the guy no and he said ok. No problem. My dealership was awesome and never pushed anything on me at all. I even got all the starbucks that I wanted for free. I hope that your deal goes this way. Let me know ok. :)
    you keep mentioning this starbucks thing. where is your dealership...all i get is free coffee from one of those machines that makes you one custom cup of your flavor choice. aarggh! :cry:
    errrggggg!! I hate those machines, actually my dealership doesn't have those machines, because they have the real deal.

Who does not love starbucks? if you don't then you are not from planet earth!! JK. ;)

My dealership was Galpin Mazda in Van Nuys, CA.

I made the deal at the Mazda dealer, then my salesman walked my wife and I across the street to the Galpin Lincoln dealer to seal the deal, that is where their finance department is. SWEET TWO STORY ALL GLASS SHOWROOM. Galpin owns the entire two blocks in Van Nuys, CA off of Roscoe Blvd.

Where are you from? I can send you to my salesman if you like.
    thanks anyway, but i'm on long island and i already have 3500 miles on my 2007 s Grand Touring 5 door (love it!) but it neds a bath today. with black mica, she takes almost as many baths a week as i do- but she looks sooooo pretty when she's shiny!!! :shades: