Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kats3kats3 Member Posts: 1
    Werner Mazda in Manchester NH is going to have a 2007 5 door/true red/Touring/auto/moonroof w/6 cd in next week. What can I expect to pay for this car? Is it worth it to just hold out for the 2008? They also said that the financing offers will differ between the 2 years...is this true?
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    There are plenty of automatics around at Boston and NH dealers. You should be able to find this car at several dealers in the area. It's always risky to talk to only one dealer. I would think that you could get this for invoice if not better. Figure that you can knock $1000 off a '08. The car is essentially the same as the '07 model. If you keep the car for 5 years or more, there won't be a wide spread on resale. If you plan on only 2-3 years, difference in resale could be significant. You do the math from here. Good luck.

One thing I noticed shopping for a loaded GT at Werner, they all came with a front air dam. Waste of money for me so I wouldn't deal with them. You may be OK with the Touring model though. I ended up buying from Sentry West in Shrewsbury, MA. Very easy deal and I got exact options I was looking for. Remember you can still service the car at any dealership.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    There are plenty of automatics around at Boston and NH dealers. You should be able to find this car at several dealers in the area

Yes and no. 5-door production numbers were reduced this year due to the body molds being used on the Mazdaspeed3's. Inventory on the 5-doors are slim to none, unless you are open to color.

kats3- The financing deals are different from 07 to 08.
  • chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I would never call this process fun. If you as a buyer do not give your undivided attention to what's been presented, you'll be made a fool of. The amount of effort it takes to insure a fair transaction is utterly fatiguing. Dealers do this for a living and the odds are stacked completely against a buyer who doesn't spend his/her work week sharpening their proverbial sword of car negotiating. The tactics are purely despicable and I will no apologies for making such a strong statement. That is not to say, however that all dealer employees are snivelling vultures. My current salesperson is very pleasant however the managers who rarely show themselves appear to be crooks
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I cannot say I disagree with you. However, there are some that do not work like that.

In my store, it does not pay to work like a crook. With the Internet today, even a little bit of homework goes a long way. There really isn't anything to hide anymore. Plus, if a customer thinks you screwed them, they won't come back. I don't want that.
  • sportflyersportflyer Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased this one yesterday:

2007 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback
    Automatic with Moonroof/CD changer
    $18900 incl destination charges
    Excl taxes and registration fees.

Also took advantage of Mazda offer for 36 mth 0% Financing .
    I tried to get more off by offering to pay cash but did not succeed.

Good price?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    2007 Cosmic Blue Mica Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    Options: Wheel Locks
    Price paid: 24855.50(MSRP+ Doc Fee)
    Terms: Cash
    My selling dealer(Kings Mazda) located the car in Cleveland and transported it by flatbed to Cincinnati at no additional charge.
    Could I have paid less at another dealer? Maybe.
    Do I care? Not one bit. The dealer was a pleasure to work with and I paid what I thought the car was worth. What else matters?
    Besides, I'm having WAY too much fun carving up twisting two lanes and blowing off Mustang GTs and Charger Daytonas at the Stoplight Grand Prix.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• ncmazda3ncmazda3 Member Posts: 1
    Try this on for size -

I just bought a 2008 Mazda3 I touring with the side impact airbags options. Here is the breakdown of what I paid:

According to the purchase papers:
    $16890 for the vehicle itself
    $59.00 tags
    $400.00 taxes

$17349 out the door.

Harrelson Mazda in Charlotte, NC said they would always give you invoice price. They also gave me $4000 for my trade that had 165000 miles and body damage on it. Ended up financing at 1.9% for three months. I think it is a great deal! My younger sister is coming up to get her 2008 GT later on this year. Also they waived the bogus dealer processing fee of $499.50 since my father haggled with them so well. ;)
  • tracermagtracermag Member Posts: 3
    I am talking to an Ohio dealer; the car is 2007 s Sport, options moonroof / 6cd pkg and side curtain bags; MSRP is 19870 (includes 595 delivery). Dealer says there is a 500 rebate, (which I can't seem to confirm anywhere) plus i have S Plan pricing (and the dealer knew I had S Plan pricing before mentioning the 500 "rebate"). This would bring the price down to 18,050 which is 1,820 off of MSRP? Is this a good deal at this point in August? I am wondering if the S Plan pricing is doing anything for me at all, or if I could do better just bargaining to take a 2007 off the dealer's lot. Appreciate any input.
  • weathercallerweathercaller Member Posts: 1
    Bought this car on 18 Aug 07 in Seaside, CA (Monterey Peninsula) -- in white w/ beige interior. Paid the following:
    Sales price = $16,145.00 ($2000 off the MSRP of $18,145)
    Document prep fee = $55.00
    DMV electronic filing fee = $28.00
    License fee = $170.00
    Calif tire fee =$8.75
    Sales Tax = $1174.50 (CA 7.25%)
    Out-the-door total = $17,581.25
    It was a simple transaction as I had no trade-in (my previous car had been stolen) and paid cash in full. I did decide to add an extended warranty, not included in the above: "Total Care" 6 yr/100K -- initially offered at $1777, then dropped to $1377 when I declined, and then talked down to $1277. Don't really know if that's a good deal or not, but I'm happy with the car and price paid for it, and the purchase process itself at the dealership was fine.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    I'm curious why you opted for the extended warranty for the Mazda3 as it has had a record of good reliability.
  • gishapirgishapir Member Posts: 1
    Got a really good deal from Pierre at Manhattan Auto Group. He was great to deal with and knew plenty about the car even though he's mainly a Ford salesperson. On to the price:

OTD sale price = $22,232.00 ($796 off Invoice). Since I wanted a '07 for 0% APR, but there were virtually none around like I wanted, they gave me a nice price on an '08 and then 1.9 APR won't break anyone's bank.

Car includes a few minor accessories like moon roof wind deflector, rear bumper guard and cargo tray.
  • dan_b_gilbertdan_b_gilbert Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a 2008 Mazda3 s Sport hatchback automatic. Edmunds quotes invoice as $18,261, but three dealerships now have quoted the invoice as $18,411. Has the invoice price changed recently? Should I be able to negotiate a price lower than the invoice price? Should I expect to pay _anything_ else on top of this besides tax and DMV fees, or can I confidently argue anything else away?
  • vtbrianvtbrian Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,

Was recently quoted $21300 for a 2008 automatic 5-door mazda3s, grand touring, with the 2mc package (Moonroof, 6-CD and Bose Audio) option. This includes freight, but not taxes, tags, etc.

The lease price was $7300 with the one-pay (upfront) option. I am leaning towards the leasing option generally speaking anyway.

Would appreciate input on whether or not this is a good deal or if I can/should bargain for better. I did note that $21300 was only about $65 over invoice for that car and package.

Welcome your input.

Cheers,
    brian
  • pfjepfje Member Posts: 25
    What do you mean,..."the lease price was $7300 with one-pay (upfront) option."

What is the length of the lease? How many miles per year? Residuals? Money factor?

Thanks.
    This is a 2008 Mazda3 s Touring hatchback automatic. Final price is $19,217, fees are $252.75. Only includes the rear bumper guard option (invoiced at $40). Should I proceed? Thanks!
  • vtbrianvtbrian Member Posts: 7
    here are the rest of the details:

- 24 month lease
    - The Residual is 69% of MSRP $15865.17
    - The money factor is .00152.
    - 10,500 miles per year lease.
    - lease changes by 2% residual for the 12k miles per year lease. $8057.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    jfritsch - first I thought the 1500 - 2000 off is msrp will be difficult, until I saw someone buying the Mazda 3 Sport for $17,165 (actually by markman post #3200, and thank you too markman).

For the 08, do you think I can offer $2,000 below msrp for a Mazda 3 S Touring Auto?

Curious, how can they go below invoice that much? I was quoted a Civic EX 08 (that I am going to buy when it comes anytime this week) way below the invoice, actually in the range you have been talking about. I get surprises everyday when I see some postings that I thought impossible.

When I saw your postings, I got curious and the Mazda 3 is now in my list. Thank you for the info. It is worth trying right? I will try a $2,000 off msrp. And if they agree, it is now between the 3ST and the civicEX.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Invoice price has become more or less a nominal figure over the last 20 years. It can be a fair to miserable indicator of the true cost of a vehicle to a particular dealer irrespective of holdback, etc. (i.e. not all factory to dealer incentives are publicized)

Check out my message 316 in the chevy silverado forum. Do not waste much time walking into dealerships once you know what you want. Separate the jokers (85%) from those serious end of the month within a 100-300+ mile radius of your home via fax or email and work the top 3 or so against one another.

A decent target price on 95% of production vehicles is around 15-20% more than the wholesale price of a 1year old used one. (via kbb,edmunds.com or nada.com) closer to 15 percent at the end of the model year. This would put the target price of a 19000-ish mazda3 hatchback in the 16xxx range. If you find one dealer 100 miles away for lower so much the better. If you're financing for 3-5 years be sure to get that in order as you can lose a lot more here than on pure price. You may have to pay up for a month or two on the 08s depending on model.

Also check out message 9919 on the Honda Pilot forum.

Good luck
    --jjf

jfritsch - first I thought the 1500 - 2000 off is msrp will be difficult, until I saw someone buying the Mazda 3 Sport for $17,165 (actually by markman post #3200, and thank you too markman).

For the 08, do you think I can offer $2,000 below msrp for a Mazda 3 S Touring Auto?

Curious, how can they go below invoice that much? I was quoted a Civic EX 08 (that I am going to buy when it comes anytime this week) way below the invoice, actually in the range you have been talking about. I get surprises everyday when I see some postings that I thought impossible.

When I saw your postings, I got curious and the Mazda 3 is now in my list. Thank you for the info. It is worth trying right? I will try a $2,000 off msrp. And if they agree, it is now between the 3ST and the civicEX.
  • riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Ok, I admit, a little off-topic since this is the Mazda3 folder...

filod - you mentioned that you've been getting the CivicEX quoted "way below invoice"... could you please, please, please share how much? I'm *highly* considering the car (along with Mazda3). THANKS!!! I need all the help I can get, its my first new car purchase!!! :confuse:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper is hoping to talk to consumers who purchased a car recently instead of waiting, fearing that prices may rise as the dollar weakens. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 1, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
    riddlemyth - sorry for the late reply. My wife decided on the Mazda3 s touring 5-door auto. Usually, once I buy the car, I do not read the forums for a while lol. I have to reconstruct the invoice amounts from Edmunds because I am at work and left my worksheet at home.

I was shopping for the 2008 Civic EX Auto (as well as Mazda3, Mitsubishi Lancer and the new Subaru Impreza) a week or 2 a go

2007 Civics offers both (all of these are for Automatic)
    LX Auto Invoice (using Edmunds) $16,984 offer was $16,500
    EX Auto Invoice (using Edmunds) $18,590 offer was $17,900

I asked him if he will give the EX price for the 2008, he said yes but there were none available (I really do not know if he was serious, but he was for the 2007 if I decided to go for it). I was really waiting for the 2008.

Because my wife was getting impatient (for the son actually), we went to see the Lancer (I was give $200 below invoice again using Edmunds) and went to Mazda and the rest is history -

2008 Mazda3 S Touring Auto 5door
    Invoice per Edmunds 18,727 offer was $8,380, I wanted $17,900 (same as the Civic EX) and I got a lecture about Mazda3 blah blah (I told him I get the same lecture when I am with the Honda people he he). But he was generally nice, so my wife ( I do not know why she came in the conversation!) counter offer for $100 less and he said he cannot go any lower, so I walk away. I usually do not call them back or go back.

I was in Costco and he called me (it was a Sunday @ 4pm) and he said the 18,280 is bla bla... and my wife said he is a nice guy and willing to help me (with the promise of his manager) to get some accessories at employee pricing (no big deal really).

So...not the best, I still think you can get it lower but I can sleep with the prices I got.

I am in the San Francisco bay area, by the way. Good luck.

**All of the above plus state tax, dmv registration, $55 doc and $8.75 tire fee..no other fees.
  • estrasaestrasa Member Posts: 1
    So you paid 18,380 for the s-touring?

I'm looking for an M3 i-touring automatic w/ side airbags, (limited extras), and have been quoted 16995.00 including dealer fees. I'm wondering if this is a good deal, or whether I should keep pressing on to find a better deal.

Need input...because my current car needs Jesus! :sick:
    Invoice per Edmunds
    4 door i touring auto 16,656
    4 door i touring manual 15,817

So you are paying $339 more than invoice. I do not know in your place, but if you try harder you can get it below invoice.

Make a decision which car you want and if you think invoice is good enough, you can get them at invoice.

No, my wife got the s touring 18,298 I think.. so 429 below invoice.

Your car do not need Jesus, it needs you he he, just kidding and goodluck!
  • vmorhaimvmorhaim Member Posts: 7
    When someone says they paid invoice , does that mean including destination charge? Is destination charge required, what about dealer prep?
    Invoice includes destination. Destination is usually around $600. "Dealer prep" sounds like "extra profit" to me. I just bought a Mazda3 and there was nothing besides the base price, tax, and fees on the final breakdown. Edmunds says fees should be 1-1.5% of the vehicle's price, and in my case they were 1.25%. I'm new to this world though, so I could be mistaken, but this is how I understand it to be.
  • carl36carl36 Member Posts: 2
    Am looking for a new 08 Mazda3 S Touring with an automatic transmission. With the following options installed:
    Sirus radio (SAT)
    Remote engine start (RSE)
    Automatic day/night mirror w/compass (MRC)
    All weather floor mats (FLA)
    Cargo tray (CGT)
    Bumper Guard (RBS)

Dealer has quoted me a price over the internet of $20279.00 for the above vehicle with the listed options installed. The price does not include taxes.

What do you think of the offer?
  • carl36carl36 Member Posts: 2
    Not much discussion on this board lately. Had hoped to get some feed back. Yesterday I purchased the Mazda 3 with the listed options for $19,900, not including taxes and registration. Internet manager was extremely easy to work with and complete the transaction. I'm happy with the car, it's really fun to drive and looks great!
    Congrats! I just bought the same car :D without the options though
  • burnsie27burnsie27 Member Posts: 4
    Hi there! First time car buyer, and really liking the Mazda3. A few questions for those who know much more than I do:

The non-standard features that are important to me are leather seats, a moonroof, a good audio system and an automatic transmission. From my research, it looks to me like pricewise, I'm better off getting the Touring hatchback with optional leather, moonroof and automatic transmission than the Grand Touring with standard leather seats and option moonroof/trans. Looks like the advantages of the Grand Touring are heated seats and better outside lighting. Is that the case? Anything big that I'm missing?

I'm in North Jersey and looking at a CarsDirect.com price of $21,181 for the Touring with the options above. Anyone shop with them before? Since I'm new to the car game, looking for a simple way to go about this without haggling.

Thanks much!
    It looks like the 2007 has better fuel economy than the 2008. Anyone know why? Based on what I'm looking for above, would I be better off going with the 2007? Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    EPA measuring methods changed for 2008. The car hasn't changed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks!
  • zanshin825zanshin825 Member Posts: 2
    Checking in from New Jersey. It's a silver sedan with a black interior, and it has automatic transmission and the ABS/curtain airbag safety package. It took a good bit of back and forth between three dealers, but I picked the car up for $16,000, including destination/fees.

The car is for my wife and I was really, really close to getting a Honda Fit when I thought to check out the Mazda 3. I'm glad I did. My wife liked the fit, but the lack of a telescoping steering wheel felt like a compromise that might be a problem for her. And the Mazda 3 feels more like an actual car. I really liked how it drove.
  • zanshin825zanshin825 Member Posts: 2
    (In reply to the other guy from North Jersey)

Hi. I'm in North Jersey and just bought a Mazda 3 I (see above). I did a bunch of research, then test drove the car at Lodi Mazda. Their numbers were the worst of the bunch, and getting any kind of solid numbers from them was like pulling teeth.

I then talked to Ramsey Mazda, who were better to deal with than Lodi. They beat the Lodi price, too.

The last call I made was to Wayne Mazda...and their numbers were far and away the best. I called the other two dealers back and they said that Wayne Mazda made me an unrealistic offer that they couldn't compete with. So, I went to Wayne Mazda to check it out and actually beat that original deal by a couple of hundred bucks, so I took delivery that night.

I've heard pros and cons about Wayne Mazda, but I think they have far and away the best prices because of the volume they deal in. So, if you're looking up here maybe make that one of your considerations. I'm glad I didn't start with them, because I'm not sure I would have had the ammo to get them down...but I'm certainly glad I had them in the mix, even though they were a little further away from me.

Generally speaking, I try to work a couple of different dealers until someone tells me they can't compete anymore.
  • menghsiumenghsiu Member Posts: 2
    Just bought the Itouring for 17000 not including the tax and all that fees in CT. Yeah, we had to pay over $300 for dealer processing fee :(
  • sportmansportman Member Posts: 23
    One item that is very big to me is Climate Control versus conventional heater and air conditioner. GT also has heated seats if you like them.
    Once you have had Climate Control you will always want it - Grand Touring has it Touring doesn't.
    You mention audio as a desired feature - GT gets Bose system.

My wife has the Mazda3 5door because she liked the vehicle but would not accept a Black interior so we ended up with a gray "S" Model with a gray cloth interior. Needless to say I miss the climate control when I am in hers.

In North Jersey look out for all the add ons by dealers - window etching ($200.), document fees!! ($300.), Galves trade in values which are much lower than the national standard Kelly Blue Book. In essence negotiate for an out the door price, including tax, title, documentation then talk about your trade in. Good luck!!
    Thank you!
  • ucdrumsucdrums Member Posts: 4
    I am about to purchase a mazda 3 but the dealer i am working with claims that dealers don't use kbb for trade in value but that they use galves.com, never heard of galves and they were a good %50 lower in trade in value. ANy body know how i can get him to use kbb or get around this galves value which seems only to benefit the dealer not me. I am very concerned...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    You must be in the Northeast?

Galves is the book that most dealers use, in that region of the country..

You have it right... they pay you less for your car, it benefits only them.. You may have to shop around for a better deal, or consider selling the car yourself.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ucdrumsucdrums Member Posts: 4
    Yea im from the northeast, i got a great deal from Wayne Mazda today in NJ, if anyone is in the northeast these guys are superior to all, went to Ramsey Mazda and the treated me like s..t. Got twice the value of my trade in according to galves from Wayne Mazda, the owner of the biggest dealer in the world greated me at the door and got me the deal of a lifetime, plus a major upgrade to a fully loaded mazda 3 touring at the price ramsey wanted for a base mazda 3 sport. Stay away from Ramsey and rock on with Wayne.
  • pasquali56pasquali56 Member Posts: 21
    Dallas here. Just looked at a 2008 Hatchback, silver with black interior, auto, BOSE, moonroof, etc. Dealer gave me a price of $22,700 plus TT@L, plus some kind of $250 fee for a total of $24,368. Said they're offering 0% on 36 month purchase. Seems high to me. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You will probably pay a premium for a month or so when the new models come out. 0% for 36 months is probably worth about 2800. Look up the price of a used 06 (prices are more stable on 06s) in kbb.com and edmunds.com. You want to pay around 15-20% over 06 wholesale for a leftover 07, or 25-35% over for a new 08.

As for galves, you want about what kbb.com or edmunds says wholesale. Perhaps less if it is a gas guzzler. I don't know how galves would be 50% off of the kbb or nada value unless the car is more than 5 years old or in the $2000 range.

Good luck.
    --jjf

Dallas here. Just looked at a 2008 Hatchback, silver with black interior, auto, BOSE, moonroof, etc. Dealer gave me a price of $22,700 plus TTL, plus some kind of $250 fee for a total of $24,368. Said they're offering 0% on 36 month purchase. Seems high to me. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • elenemelenem Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 2008 grand touring auto with the Bose/Moonroof package for $21,600 plus the $250 "doc fee." 1.9% financing for 36 months. I'm in the Boston area.
  • riahnnariahnna Member Posts: 8
    Replying to: pasquali56 (Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm)

I just got a 2008 grand touring auto with the Bose/Moonroof package for $21,600 plus the $250 "doc fee." 1.9% financing for 36 months. I'm in the Boston area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------
    was $21600 including tax?
    My question, too: did the $21,600 include TT&L? Also, how's your gas mileage so far? One of the main reasons I like this car so much is because of the gas mileage (plus the fact that it's so much fun to drive). Thanks.
  • elenemelenem Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, no - I didn't include the tax. It was $21,600 plus tax, plus the $250 fee for a total of $23,440. Sound reasonable?
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    I was offered dealer invoice on the last '07 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring at my local dealer. Good deal?

Haven't started to discuss my trade yet, but wanted to get a feel for what people are paying.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I checked another dealer in the Dallas area and got an MSRP of 22,825, a selling price of 20,851, and a total of 22,378 including TT&L and all fees. That would be the drive off price.