Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    $20,851

Hmm...that's about $500 below invoice for the Sport trim.

I guess this dealer can do better!
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    I bought my 2008 Mazda3i Touring manual transmission with ABS/SAB/SAC package for $17,373 out the door, from Hiley Mazda in Hurst, TX. They did not fool around. I met the internet guy and he said it would be $1100 off sticker which was slightly below invoice (MSRP = $17,245, invoice = $16,157, I paid $16,145 and Edmunds TMV was $16,970). It appears that some here got even farther below invoice, but I was impressed with their solid offer and professionalism. Plus they were the only dealer around that had the exact color I wanted (galaxy grey) with the options I wanted, so I didn't bicker or shop around too much.

I told them I planned to pay cash and had no trade in (which was all true), I just wanted the best price. I was trying to decide between the 3i and 3s, and he said either way they'd take $1100 off sticker. I did end up financing because 2.9% was hard to beat, I can do better things with my cash. But I think telling them you are doing a cash deal cuts through some of the crap and eliminates the silly four square worksheet most dealers want to play around with.

(Actually, I added $199 for window tint, maybe could have gotten a slightly better deal on that, but I wanted it done right away.)
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Mazda web site has $249/Month, 24-Month Lease on 08 Sport S AT. How much would it be for a grand touring model?
  • danielt70danielt70 Member Posts: 7
    Coming into December I was set on buying a Honda Civic Coupe EX. Because of this board, I discovered that Mazda is bringing back the Copper Red Mica color on the 3's, something I've always wanted. I'm now looking to buy a Mazda.

I know buying a car at the end-of-the-month (specifically December) can be an advantage, padding a dealers' total numbers for the month, let alone for the year. I would have to order this car, seeing the changes are coming in January 2008.

Would the dealer, any dealer, get credit for my sale if I order the car in the last week of December or do they get credit at the point-of-delivery, whenever the car arrives, possibly 8 weeks later?

I figure I can drive home my best deal if I have leverage for tacking on another sale before the year ends, but ti would be an order and I wouldn't get the car for a while.

Does anyone have any answers or experience with this? Thank you.
  • gleen6191gleen6191 Member Posts: 80
    for any Mazda 3 that I want.

good deal?
    what changes are they making? if i buy a 2008 aint i getting the lstest model?
    I got this white honey for $1,250 off of dealer's invoice. Mazda of Wayne was easy t odeal with. Ask for Manny the internet guy!

Thanks Manny!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just offered "cost" to a dealership in Western New York for a 2008.5 Mazda 3 Grand Touring Automatic Transmission (invoice minus holdback, as well). They JUMPED at it. Should I feel lucky or did Consumer Reports fail to include some unadvertised incentive for the dealership? I just called them and they said "no, they didn't." Keep in mind this car hasn't even been built yet - it's not like it's sitting on the lot or anything. Any one have the same experience - what gives?

-Dan
  • robotica2robotica2 Member Posts: 6
    So far the lowest quote I've received is $21,095 for GT hatchback with bose system from University Mazda. Not a huge savings off MSRP. Anybody know where I can get the best deal in the Seattle Area?
    Thanks!
    Ian
    I know this discount was available a couple years ago - is it still out there?

-Dan
  • noah2383noah2383 Member Posts: 1
    From my experience thus far, I have been getting the same quotes that you have. Right now, UMazda is the best with $100 under invoice. But I'm talking to three dealers at the moment and Doug's in Lynnwood is saying they can usually beat any price in the area. I am visiting Lee Johnson Mazda in Kirkland first tomorrow and I am going to call Doug's and UMazda while I'm there to see if they can beat what they offer me. Just gotta play the game to get the best price.
    Good luck with your game.
    Noah
  • vroom2vroom2 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2008 Mazda3 S touring sedan with AT and it turned out to be less of a hassle than I thought. I ended up paying just under Edmunds TMV. They tried the usual trick with the 'preparation' fee and the like but that was soon nixed. I'm impressed - for an econo car this is one sweet ride.

There was a kid at the dealers who thought he was getting his new MS3 at invoice but got duped by paying some bogus dealer fees. Remember folks, apart from tax, title and tag there should be no other fees.
  • hapitize1hapitize1 Member Posts: 1
    So what is cost amount. Dealer - Holdback?

I'm looking at a 2008 GT Hatch w/ AT and Bose/SnRf for $20,400. I feel i still can do better.
    Yeah, Dougs has countered every offer I've received so far. They really want me to come in. The irony is my last car was just totaled, so I can't get to Lynnwood! UMazda has matched their offer though, and thrown in $100 credit for the parts department, although I'm not sure what kind of "parts" they mean. But they're really pushing me to come in this weekend, and I hear that after christmas you can get a better deal.
  • ncage1974ncage1974 Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone. I just went online to mazdausa.com and requested a dealer quote for a 08 MazdaSpeed3 Grand Touring. Only option i added was wheel locks. According to msn here is the price breakdown:
    Invoice MSRP
    Base Price* $22,497 $24,055
    Selected Options $40 $50
    Destination Charge $635 $635
    Total* $23,172 $24,740

They had a comment section down told them that i would offer $23,300 along with the trade-in value that KBB quoted me for my truck. I also told them they would have to give me a very good interest rate. I do have top notch credit so.... What do you guys think? I hope to be joining the family soon!!! Smile

P.S. I was curious on resell value on the MazdaSpeed3 so i tried to go to KBB and see what a 2007 one with 10k miles on it would sell for. Well they didn't even have the mazdaspeed3. What gives? If you tried to sell it how would you since kbb doesn't even have it?

thanks,
    ncage
    After much back and forth between two dealerships, I finally got the mazda3 GT hatchback with moonroof/bose system, bumper guards, all-weather floor mats, and wheel locks for $20,400 plus tax& license. About $1000 below invoice, so I'm very happy! Ended up going to University Mazda, and they were great to deal with. Signing the paperwork was quick and painless, and the salesman went over the car with me thoroughly. He even bookmarked important pages in my manual while I was signing paperwork! Maybe that's standard practice (this is my first new car) but it was nice to feel taken care of, even after a hard negotiation.
  • ldl20ldl20 Member Posts: 10
    Greetings. I am in the early stages of wrestling with myself over whether or not to take the plunge on a new 3 ( I'm still recovering from trading in my loaded V6 '05 Accord for an '04 Odyssey due to a growing family). Anyway, the wife likes the Odyssey, and it's nice to have the space, but I want something sporty to replace an '01 Elantra. I know, thanks for your sympathy.

For numerous reasons, the 3 seems like it fits for me. I happened to get a quote from the internet guy over at Wayne Mazda in northern NJ of 21,050 for a GT hatch in pearl white with auto, moon/bose, wheel locks, and 22,700 for the same car with navi. This seems real low, especially after looking at the prices on cars direct and edmunds.

So here's my question: Assuming the above is true, I know the tax would run about 1450.00, but what other typical costs would I incur to reach my OTD price?
    Here's what my '05 Accord Deal looked like on paper:

Documentation Prep charge: $106.00
    Sales Tax: $1556 (I got charged more than 6% here-be careful, I guess they'll try to screw you anyway possible)
    Registration fees: $24.00
    Title/Lien fees: $20.00
    NJ Tire Fee: $7.50
    Extended Service Contract: $869.00 (won't be doing this again)
    plus $25065 for the car (again, I thought it was 25K even, I guess the new car euphoria made me overlook those $65.00!), equaled an OTD price of 27486.

Any personal experiences with the breakdown of costs for any members would be of great help, as I estimated I could shoot for at least 22900 OTD w/o navi, if not 22500 OTD or lower. This time, I won't be getting an extended service contract, no matter how much of a sales pitch I get in the dreaded Finance Room.
    Is it an automatic? Doesn't seem that low, especially this time of year. Read my story right above you, got the GT hatch with AT, moonroof/bose & some accessories for 20,400. OTD was 22,528, but tax is higher in Washington. Add in $79 for door guards (the dealer forgets to mention they add those on all their cars, but I wanted them anyway) and the rest is tax and license. Doc fee was $49. Edmunds has a list of doc fees and tax amounts for each state, although I'm not sure it's up to date? I was okay with the extra $14 over what edmunds says.
  • ldl20ldl20 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, it's an automatic, and our tax rate here in NJ is 7%. What do you pay in Washington?
  • beattyfhbeattyfh Member Posts: 1
    Best deal I can find in Iowa after checking with three dealerships is
    $21,788.00
    $1,089 tax (5%)
    $200.00 Registration Fee
    $59.00 DOC Fee
    for a total of $23,136.00 on the road.
    This is for a 08 GT aurora blue automatic hatchback, with bose/sunroof package, remote start and wheel locks.
    Also 0% fin for three years.
    Washington is 8.8 or 8.9%.
    If you push hard enough, and get a couple dealerships to fight for your business, you can get a pretty low price. Especially this time of year, when they have to clear out their inventory. After the accessories and whatnot, I got about $1000 below invoice.
  • superpsuperp Member Posts: 1
    2008 Mazda3i Touring automatic with ABS/SAB/SAC Package.
    Sale Price $17,036.00 (Destination and Handling Fee included)

from University Mazda.
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    2008 i Touring Manual, ABS, cargo net, wheel locks, $16987 OTD (+ my choice of $100 gas card or two Carolina Hurricanes tickets). Very nice dealer and very smooth transaction.

Another local dealer was about a hundred dollars less, but they were badgering and so I walked away from them.

Enjoying my gray Mazda (which replaced my 96 Protege with 201K miles).
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I just got a quote of $22,112.26 on a Mazdaspeed3 Sport model it has no options. Is this a good price or does anyone think I can do better?

Another dealer says they can do better if I buy this week but I can't as i'm away on vacation. They also won't quote their price in an email.
    Suggestions?
  • doug_tdoug_t Member Posts: 22
    The doc fees at Wayne Mazda are a bit high - in the $250 range, and they try to tack on the cheesy etching fee for approx $200 (which they say is done on all cars). You can try to argue those, but don't lose site of the total $$. They tend to be extremely aggressive on price, so even with the BS fees, you will likely be ahead of the game. I paid DMV fees in the range of $400 for 4 year registration - I am fairly certain this is what you will pay anywhere.

Hope this helps.
    Why is the forum constantly showing the messages as unread when I have read them, clicked on Last and still it's showing the same last message over and over again.
    If I click Read new posts it just shows the last 2 messages over and over? :confuse:
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    There's a glitch... they are working on it...

I share your pain.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

There's a glitch... they are working on it...
    I share your pain

Thanks, there are lots of glitches I can count about 6 of them right on this page alone. Like the title of the post over writes the name of the person you are replying to in the header. Or when you spellcheck none of the words are in Red. :confuse: :sick:
    I know this isn't the forum for it so I won't mention it any more. I just hope they get it fixed soon. :)
    I was quoted a price of $22,112.26 for a Mazdaspeed 3
    I'm trying to figure out if this is a good price
    It's the Sport model.
    The only additional fees are
    title $25
    Documentation $195
    No additional equipment.
    They say this is their best price.
    Edmunds lists Invoice as $21,493
    They claim they can't do any better.
    What do you think? Good deal or can I do better?
  • rob222rob222 Member Posts: 49
    Is it SOP for dealers to charge you the labor cost to add options onto the car you want buy? For example I agree to buy a car that does not include certain options that I desire, for example, Sirius radio The dealer tells me the cost of the option and labor cost to install it. Is this a skam?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Is it SOP for dealers to charge you the labor cost to add options onto the car you want buy?

Yes, but it is something that you can negotiate. You can also do what I do; buy the accessory from an on-line Mazda dealer and install the part yourself.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• nad_mastersnad_masters Member Posts: 4
    Here in Chicago, the best price I am able to muster is $21,879 for Sport (no options). It was $21,900 for the longest time (no dealership wanted to go below this). But I found one who said he can sell at inv, but "slipped" and said it was $21879.

Now, I read someone said that inv for MS3 Sport is actually $214xxx? If so, that is still way above INV, but it seems that MS3s are hard to negotiate on.

I wanted to get the mirror with compass, and that tacks on $160 ($200 MSRP). With the Homelink mirror with compass, it's $250 ($275 MSRP).

I'm also asking to get the 2008.5, which have two colors (Gray and White) which replaces Blue Mica and Silver. The 8.5 now plays MP3s as well have a black center console instead of the grayish silver on current 2008s. 8.5 are in production in Janurary 2008, so if my dealer puts in the order now, they will build it, and I will get it around March.

Anyone able to get the price lower than $21,879 USD?

PS: I was able to get a quote for a Civic Si (base) for $20,005.09 :) Nice car, but I still like the MS3 better... more power, more space.
    Here in Chicago, the best price I am able to muster is $21,879 for Sport (no options). It was $21,900 for the longest time (no dealership wanted to go below this). But I found one who said he can sell at inv, but "slipped" and said it was $21879.

I just might buy the car outside of my area. They claim invoice is only $300 more than what they are quoting me. Edmunds backs this up but if this is true then they are only making $900 over invoice which Edmunds claims is $21,493. I guess it's tough to get a good deal on some cars especially if they are rare.
    I'd like to pay $21,000 even but doesn't look like it's going to happen. They don't sell very many of the MS3's and they don't discount them much.
    There is nothing else in the pipeline that I want to buy so I guess the dealer will make a few more bucks from me.
    I'll probably trade it in if something I like better comes out in 2010 or 20011.
    The dealers here claim it's there best price and will not lower it so either I buy out of Sate which is a hassle at this point but $21,879 would be a better deal and I'd probably buy it.
    I thought the Speed3 wasn't available in White?
    Any idea when that is coming out as I really like the look of the car in White over Red and Silver.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Any idea when that is coming out as I really like the look of the car in White over Red and Silver.

Here is the straight scoop.

Personally, I'd like to be able to get white with the interior from the Australian Mazda 3 MPS Extreme.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Here is the straight scoop.

I see tha White was added but it doesn't say it was added to the Mazdaspeed3. Looks like it won't hit the dealers until Feb or later and I have to buy a car 1st week of January.
  • papaiyapapaiya Member Posts: 1
    I'm in New Jersey heres the best quote I've gotten for a Speed 3 sport

"Ok for the remainder of this week!
    We're offering on Either Red, Black, Silver Sport Mazda Speed3
    which MSPR is 22975.00
    we can do a best price of 21500.00 on any in stock mazda speed 3's!
    that 21500 includes destination "

This is from Crystal Automall.

Dont think just because its a speed 3 that you cant negotiate.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Wow.. $1500 off?

Not bad for 268 hp..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bfcernybfcerny Member Posts: 5
    Just an FYI...
    I just got a 2008 Mazda3 I Touring with Moonroof/Foglights/6 disc etc...
    39 month lease
    10,500 annual miles
    0 down sign and drive
    $1,000 trade equity
    $246 a month taxes included in payment.

Woodhouse Mazda Omaha Nebraska
    I've tried but they gave me their final quotes. here is what they said.

The lowest priced Mazda Speed3 we have lists for $23,105.00 (MSRP).........
    Invoice is $21,914.00 .......Your Cost = $22,214.00 ($300 over Invoice) + $199 Doc fee.
    Hope this helps.......let me know.

The other place said

The MSRP of this car is $22,975.
    We can sell this car for just $22,112.26. Let me know when you're back and we'll do what we can for you.

Hi again, It doesn't pay for me to send a less-than-best price and then lower it later.
    You have the price at which I will sell the car, make a small but fair profit, and be competitive with other dealers in my area.
    Good luck on your search,

So no additional negotiating in my area. I guess they figure it's better to max their profits than sell a car. I'd have to take a bus to New Jersey to buy a car there and getting it back would be a nightmare the way my State requires you to register the car first, no temp plates.
    I'll keep looking but My Subie is pretty much ready to be towed away. I dread driving it because anything that breaks on it now is really going to cost me.
    Most dealers in my area don't really offer decent prices. They'll let you walk away and just don't care.
    21500 is a good price! That's 379 lower than my best. But I guess I will pony up because I don't want to go too far.

Anyways, how about Doc and title fees?

My dealer stated that doc fees are not negotiable because of law (?). How do I get in touch with the Attorney General to find out if this is true?

Doc Fee is $150
    License Plate Fee is $160
    Drive Off is $15 (Claims it is Cook County tax)

Now, I checked IL's DMV site and they say that Registration for new vehicle is (License Plates included) is $78, while new Title is $65. Total is $143, so they are sneaking a few bucks in.

Doc fee seems a bit high as well, as I read some people giving advice not to pay more than $50 for this. Basically the fee for the dealer to go and file the paperwork with the state.

The "Drive Off" sounds suspicious, but when asked, he claims that it was a Cook County Tax. On actual paperwork, if I don't see it say "Cook County Tax" (if it actually says Drive Off" I'll ask him to re-label it or he can just foot the minor $15 himself to finish off the sale, or I walk away over the $15.

This way, I have some recourse if I find out it was just a lie to get more money. Probably not legally (since it's 15 bucks, its not worth it), but at least I can put them on the news and have a reporter get some answer for "the curious public".
  • vlstellatovlstellato Member Posts: 3
    Good deal til you exceed the annual miles and turn it in. All better hope you dont have any car damage as well.
  • zragnarokzragnarok Member Posts: 1
    im looking for a base (Manual, no moonroof/bose, etc) Grand Touring Sedan 5spd in the north Texas area. Edmunds says invoice is about $19,300 with destination. Ive been as low as a $19,500 offer... after tax/title in texas it comes out to about $21k... i would really like to get below invoice before TTL if possible.... it kinda makes me sad that some of you guys are getting speed3's for 22k ish
  • drnick5drnick5 Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking for a Mazda 3 manual (i touring) for my brother in law. we ave test driven and were quotes "about 16,000" (I'll assume this is NOT an OTd price. we were just test driving a few cars (mazda was first on the stop of mazda, honda, toyota and hyundai, mazda was the winner)

now I'm looking for the best deal, from what edmunds says, invoice is only a few hundred under MSRP (16,225 + 595 destination fee MSRP vs 15,552 plus 595 dest. fee for invoice)

when we looked at the car the salesmen said ti was fully for sirius radio, "all you need to do is call and activate it" when I looked on their site, for that price, it STILL requires a 500 dollar optional module installed for it to work. (this is pretty snake oil salesmen ploy in my opinion by Mazda, don't call a car "Sirius compatible" if it STILL requires an add-on to play sirius.

what sort of deal can I get? I know I'm going to hold that salesmen to his promise of "just call up sirius and activate it" so if it costs the dealer an extra 500, thats out of their pocket, not mine.

also noticed ABS is NOT included (this sort of suprised me).

the Manual is tough to find, so I'd be looking at this car with the sirius added, OTD price? what should I be looking at? we live in RI (7% tax) so a 15,800 sale price (invoice) nets an approx 1,100 sales tax. (16,900 total before any dealer fees) is this as LOW as I can get? I figure with the new year coming up I have some sort of leverage. am I wrong?

THANKS!
    $24,068 is what I am paying OTD.

22,039 (base +160 for autodimming mirror with compass)
    150 for Doc fee
    105 to transfer plates
    7.75% for tax
    167 for Cook county tax
    15 for another cook county tax (wtf???)

I tried to negotiate on the doc fee, but they won't budge, even thought their own paper says this is an unofficial fee, and that the MAX they can charge is 150, so it is definately negotiable.

I put down 500 so that they can build it from factory. I'm waiting for the jan 2008 production so I can get the 2008.5 Metro Gray Mica color, along with the MP3 CD player and black center console.

How did I do?
  • bfcernybfcerny Member Posts: 5
    Well I am glad to see that you know my driving habits. You say it is a good deal until I turn it in and go over my miles...well my last lease was 24 months and I had 19000 miles on the car. I obviously took my miles into consideration. Oh and also, thanks for telling me not to wreck it or I would have to pay for it...I would have never figured that out on my own. Sounds like someone has the same car for $340 a month and feels a bit of buyers remorse!!! lol
  • unkownuserunkownuser Member Posts: 23
    >>My dealer stated that doc fees are not negotiable because of law (?).

The doc fee is extra padding- read, profit. Most states regulate maximum amounts that can be charged, and how high this is depends upon the auto dealers lobby in your state capital.

The 'law' is involved only in that they cannot charge you more without itemizing and further explaining it. They can certainly charge you less, and if they are saying otherwise they are being less than truthful.

No need to get involved in an argument- just have them lower their price by a corresponding amount. Because to say they are only charging $400 over invoice, and then see that they are tacking on a $300 "documentary fee," means that they are actually charging $700 over profit.

If they come out and admit as much, I don't have a problem, and will either buy or not buy from them. But for them to come out and be less than truthful makes me wonder what else they are being dishonest about, and I tend to walk.
  • emelz3emelz3 Member Posts: 2
    I was planning on making purchasing soon, and so far lowest OTD quote from dealer for the above configuration is $18,643.

Just wondering if anyone else received a better OTD for something simliar to this
  • nsbio1nsbio1 Member Posts: 75
    Actually, "price of the car" is meaningless, because the dealer will add fees, the state will add tax etc. "Out of the door price" is the only price that matters, because it includes ALL taxes and fees and this is THE price you write on the check before you pick the car.

In addition, for comparing deals in different states, it is useful to know their state sales tax, which varies by a few %, which for Mazda3 means +/- ~$400-ish.
  • jt120jt120 Member Posts: 6
    I agree. When I bought my 2007 GT I did my homework and came up with the total out the door price I would pay. This made it easier not having to negotiate things like the doc fee which seems to always be one of the final problems. I used a below invoice price, added a $50 doc fee, title & tag fees, sales tax and came up with my $20k offer. On the paper work they charged a $300 doc fee but reduced the price of the car to match my total offer.
  • phostenixphostenix Member Posts: 4
    Document fees in Phoenix are considerably higher than what I'm seeing posted here from other places. They fell in the $299-$499(!) range for Mazda dealers here.

Our license fees are based on the value of the car. On a new '08 Mazda3, it comes out to around $350.

Every dealer here wants to tack on window tint - they put it on every new car unless you either specifically order it without it or you happen to find a car fresh of the truck that hasn't been tinted yet ($299 charge on the Mazda3 everywhere I checked).

Most want to add some sort of "Desert Protection Package" that includes some sort of paint protection. Cardinale Way Mazda quoted me $1097 for their DPP & $499 for doc fees on a pre-owned 2007 Mazda3. I have no idea what their DPP included - I couldn't get past the shock of them adding $1600 to the price right out of the gate (an internet advertised price that was higher than invoice on a new 2008, BTW).

I found that, of the 5 dealers I got bids from in the Phoenix area, they all started by adding about $900 in total adds to the price of a new '08 (+TT&L).

At the end of December, one of the dealers was offering 500 under invoice for anything in stock, the others were all willing to sell the 3 at invoice without argument.