Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• novadernovader Member Posts: 3
    So, I ended up deciding on a mazda 3 s (hatchback) touring automatic with moonroof/6disc cd changer, 2007 used with 4000 miles on it, in a disgusting red color, but walked out paying $16,500+399admin fee = $16,899 OTD (+ttl), so I was happy despite the red.

The other offers I got from competing dealerships just didn't seem to much compare:

1) new '07 (100mi) silver hatchback sport auto with moon and 6cd= $17,700+499admin fee = $18199 OTD;
    2) new '08 whatever color hatchback sport auto with moon and 6cd = 18500+399 admin fee = $18,899 OTD.

Hope this helps.
  • jjandersjjanders Member Posts: 18
    $1000 below invoice?!? Hmm....
  • chrisnegliachrisneglia Member Posts: 3
    Got a quote for 16,060 for the same car from dealer2 but not in colors my wife wanted and no sun roof. Per the email/quote MSRP 18560, or $2500 off. Dealer 1 internet manager already gave me $2000 off if I purchased one that evening along with the financing. Told them to match it as I didnt care about the sun roof. They did. Emailing/internet sales is great!....Chris
  • prof31prof31 Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a Mazda 3 08 Sport automatic. I got a very good price on it and had done my homework to be aware of most dealer fees that I might be charged. I figured tax/title/tag fees were not determined by the dealer. I was charged a $66 fee and told to just pick up my tags when my letter arrived in the mail. When I got to the tax office in GA, I realized that I had been charged a $66 fee for what is an $18 service. The rest ($48) is an "administrative fee" charged by the dealer. This was NOT explained to me when I bought the car. New tags cost me an additional $20. The amount, granted, is not a large one at all but on principle, I feel cheated for having been given the impression that those were the fees charged by the GA tax office. Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.

The way to avoid that problem is to negotiate an Out the Door(OTD) price. When I buy a car I determine the price I want to pay for the car(less the reasonable value of my trade, if any), the applicable sales tax, and any registration fees. I tell the salesperson that I am only interested in an OTD price. That way there are no surprises. The only number on the sales contract I care amount is the amount I will have to write the check for- the bottom line OTD figure.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Look up the wholesale price used of the vehicle with 14000 miles on it on kbb.com and edmunds.com. Iff it is a true low mi (200) new 07 try to get it within 1000 or so of that price. Also get 10 bids via internet on the 08 towards the end of the month if possible and see what the best picture is on the 08 for comparison.

--jjf

I can get a "new" 07 Speed3 S with no options (which is what I want) for $21K. Is this a good deal?
    Jesus, $48 will barely get you thru a week or so of gasolene. Many folks may get taken for $300-500 for these "fees". $48 is 0.28% of a 17000 purchase, and if you financed and didn't agressively pursue different options from credit unions etc you may have left $500-1500 there over 5 years.

If you didn't get at least $2000 or so off the msrp, exclusive of financing you possibly left $300 or so there too.

Regardless, letting $48 spoil your day is downright dumb. It is among the more reasonable fees dealers charge. Lifes too short.

Enjoy the car man!
    --jjf

recently bought a Mazda 3 08 Sport automatic. I got a very good price on it and had done my homework to be aware of most dealer fees that I might be charged. I figured tax/title/tag fees were not determined by the dealer. I was charged a $66 fee and told to just pick up my tags when my letter arrived in the mail. When I got to the tax office in GA, I realized that I had been charged a $66 fee for what is an $18 service. The rest ($48) is an "administrative fee" charged by the dealer. This was NOT explained to me when I bought the car. New tags cost me an additional $20. The amount, granted, is not a large one at all but on principle, I feel cheated for having been given the impression that those were the fees charged by the GA tax office. Please read your buyer's order carefully and ask the dealer what the title/tag fee includes explicitly. Don't agree to anything else. This was at Mazda Roswell. I came away a rather happy customer originally but this small scam has really left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • mcmaxmcmax Member Posts: 14
    Hi. I've just been quoted a price of $16,305 (including dest. fees) for a new 2008 Mazda3 I Touring manual, with moonroof, side airbags and upgraded CD. MSRP is $18,175. Do you think that's a good deal?
  • travis64travis64 Member Posts: 12
    i got a offer for i touring value 2008.5 stormy blue for 17233 with tax and fees it is 18900

is this bad?
  • jrkflajrkfla Member Posts: 21
    getting a 5 door, not quite sure of model yet. For on 08, where are these deals happending? is it at invoice? below invoice? was looking at honda and was getting offers for new 08 accords at or very near invoice and this car is not as popular.

please advise???? thanks
    Average deal on a 5 door is about 2200-2500 off msrp. Get bids via internet from 7-10 dealers last week of the month. Tell them you are getting 10 bids and will buy before eom. Work the top 3 or so down against one another shooting for as close to 3000 off as you can the last 3-5 days. The economy is flat. Great deals are being made on the Nissan versa sedan and hatchback sl (highest model) the autos being about 14700. or less.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Ok paid for I touring value today 17150 plus tax=out the door 18705

How did I do?
    If that was a $20000+ msrp automatic, and dealer fees were minimal you did peachy.

--jjf
    Yea I think sticker was 18495 plus tax is over 20k

I got 18705 total with taxes

They first wanted over 19 out the door
  • juniorbilljuniorbill Member Posts: 7
    <Ok paid for I touring value today 17150 plus tax=out the door 18705<

MT or AT? Sunroof or any other options?
    Auto...no options
  • eagle_dadeagle_dad Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an iTouring with Value Package for $17,139 (drive out $18,579) in Houston area. According to my ConsumerReports data sheet, that worked out to $100 under Dealer Invoice. I felt pretty good about that deal. :D
  • aiko1aiko1 Member Posts: 1
    After getting quotes from many dealers in the bay area, we negotiated the dealer down to $15,800 plus tax+licence for our Mazda3 iTouring with manual trans, ABS, airbags, doorguards, floormats...Then when we went to go talk to the credit manager, turns out that my wife went to high school with the guy! He gave us another $300 off the price and got us qualified for a better intrest rate than we were qualified for. Came out to just about $17000 OTD.
    BTW, don't pay for the destination fees or any other administration fees the dealership may charge...it's all B.S. and goes to the pockets of the dealer. Purchased in Oakland, CA 11/08
  • macmamamacmama Member Posts: 2
    Just got an OTD quote for $22,453 for an automatic with leather, moonroof, and 6-disc Bose sound system. Is this a fair price? This is from a Daytona Beach dealer. Has anyone gotten a better deal? If so, where from? We are willing to drive to another area to get a good price.
  • mea7713mea7713 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday paid $16,600 for the iTouring Value Package in Orange County CA.
  • juniorbilljuniorbill Member Posts: 7
    Saturday I got an i Touring Value with manual transmission, no options, in Copper Red for $15,700 (before TTL) in St. Louis. We pick it up tonight.
  • rs99rs99 Member Posts: 1
    I have an offer of $24,219.00 for Mazda 3s GT Hatchback with AT, Leather, Nav, Sirius, Moon Roof, Bose System, Bumper Guard, Remote Engine Start, Wheel locks, Cargo Mat and All weather mats. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks for your response.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Just buy a Mazda3 5 HB Touring automatic for $17367. This is $1400 below invoice. I am happy. Color is Galaxy Gray Mica. :blush:
  • macmamamacmama Member Posts: 2
    Ended up buying a 3s GT sedan with moonroof, wheel locks, all rubber mats, compass dimming mirror w/homelink, and spoiler for the otd price $21,515. The folks at Duval Mazda in Gainesville were absolutely fantastic. :)
  • pkonpkon Member Posts: 1
    ok just helped a friend buy today. ended up with a little below the "what people are paying" price on Edmunds, so feel like we did alright.

so for a brand new 2008 Mazda3 s 2.3L sedan, automatic, touring package, w 6cd changer, moon roof was:

before tax and fees: 19588 (includes destination fee)
    with tax and fees: 21467 (includes sales tax of 8.something, tire fee, DMV fee, documentation fees)

they offered $1500 for the trade-in, but we went to the Toyota used 10 minutes before that, and they offered $2500 on the spot with zero bargaining, so we knew the $1500 was too low. so we took the trade-in out in the end, and the rest of the numbers still stood.

also, didn't buy any extended warranty.

finally, got the 36month 1.9% Mazda financing for the whole amount, zero down. score!

PK.

btw: another Mazda dealer told us we couldn't have both the 1.9% and the good price. "you've got to pick one or the other" they said. bs. and they wanted to charge 20K+ BEFORE tax and fees! we got out of there quick, and were even followed by the "good cop" sales manager in the parking lot! note to self--if you go to a car dealer and they have almost no inventory, run! these guys had literally just 2 mazda3's on the lot.
  • papaspicpapaspic Member Posts: 1
    I am negotiating the lease of an '08 MS3 sport with bad credit from some awful financial decisions years ago. Though a new job and 2 years of timely credit card payments have made me a nice risk for a dealer, as they will make nice points on my shite interest rate and not really take any risk (I am stashing money for a house and years beyond laying down a credit card for a bar tab). This means I have to push hard to negotiate the OTD price for a car because I don't have much leverage on rates. Is anyone a Jersey resident leasing an MS3 Sport. I could use a heads up on what their monthly payments and approx. credit rating at the time. Not asking for particulars just some knowledge to know when I am drawing to a dead negotiating hand. If you have good credit and worked a lease rate for $250 over 3 years, then I know I can't demand such a payment. Thanks in advance. Hopefully some pictures of a new MS3 will follow. Quick post script, I am trading in a vehicle worth approx $2500.
    Get bids via email on the lease from 10 dealers last week of the month on a car with your color preferences. Let them know you are getting 10 bids (use mazda website) and will buy before eom. Give your credit score. You want a no money down or low money down lease for the 36 months and 12000 miles. Get the monthly payment with all taxes and fees. After the 1st cut via email give the top 3-4 your cell #. See what happens the last few days of the month and work the top 2 against each other with a lower payment. How and when you work your trade in is your choice and should reduce the 36 month lease about $70/mo. Increasing the lease mileage to 15000/yr should cost about $20/mo.

Asking a few peoples opinions or what they got is not that fruitful as I've seen people with 750 scores get royally hosed and folks doing the above with mediocre credit doing as well or better. The lowest payment you can get is the lowest you can get regardless of anyones experience. The only way to find out is to give every dealer within 50-200 miles of your locale a chance to competitively bid for your business.

good luck
    --jjf

I am negotiating the lease of an '08 MS3 sport with bad credit from some awful financial decisions years ago. Though a new job and 2 years of timely credit card payments have made me a nice risk for a dealer, as they will make nice points on my shite interest rate and not really take any risk (I am stashing money for a house and years beyond laying down a credit card for a bar tab). This m fans I have to push hard to negotiate the OTD price for a car because I don't have much leverage on rates. Is anyone a Jersey resident leasing an MS3 Sport. I could use a heads up on what their monthly payments and approx. credit rating at the time. Not asking for particulars just some knowledge to know when I am drawing to a dead negotiating hand. If you have good credit and worked a lease rate for $250 over 3 years, then I know I can't demand such a payment. Thanks in advance. Hopefully some pictures of a new MS3 will follow. Quick post script, I am trading in a vehicle worth approx $2500.
    I just check KBB. The invoice price on your vehicle is $19532.00 I believe the TMV on Edmund's site has not reflected the current price that dealer is selling.
  • paulcxpaulcx Member Posts: 4
    Hey Eagle,
    I'm shopping for one in OC also, What dealership did you go to andwhat was the out the door price? Any options on the car that you got and is that automatic or stick shift?
    Thanks.
    Hi Everyone.

I am wondering if this is a decent deal.

I am looking at the Mazda 3s
    5sp auto,
    2.3L engine
    Moonroof and 6 cd package

Sale Price $18,659

Fees include:
    Tax @ 7.75 $1,450.34
    Doc Fee $55
    Lic Fee $186
    DMV Fee $28
    Tire Fee $8.75

= $20,387.09 OTD

I am wondering if anyone else in Southern California or anywhere else, can tell me what they think of that and if I should go for it.

Thanks so much
    Hatchback or sedan? Sport or Touring?
    Hi,

This is for the mazda 3s 4door sedan.
  • wavutiwavuti Member Posts: 1
    Just got an OTD quote for a Mazda3 i touring value of $17,942.11 (no options) - with about 1000 off the MSRP. Is that a good deal. What is the typical discount of MSRP for the i Touring Value?
    Hi,

According to KBB, invoice on your vehicle is $18,609. So, you are buying the car $50 over invoice. You can definitely do better. And there is also a $1000 Supplemental Customer Incentive on this car.

Good Luck. :)

ZoomZoom
    S. Cal is selling the exact same car for $14995. You can definitely do better on the price. :)

ZoomZoom
  • garf_camengarf_camen Member Posts: 1
    I picked up a Mazda3 I-Touring Value package with rear spoiler in Oregon for a bit under $16,000 in early March. This was total finance price with license fees etc no down payment financed @ 3.99% for 60/mo - $290/mo.
    A 19500 msrp mazda3 hatch typically sells for about 2200 off msrp. This may be up to 3500 off with weak sales nationwide. Any special low interest financing may of course offset this.

Good luck
    --jjf

Just got an OTD quote for a Mazda3 i touring value of $17,942.11 (no options) - with about 1000 off the MSRP. Is that a good deal. What is the typical discount of MSRP for the i Touring Value?
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I hope you can help me decide on my planned purchase of an automatic 2008.5 Mazda 3i touring value edition. I live on Long Island, NY. What would be a fair price to pay?

My other question is should I go for the S touring over the i? :)

Thank you for you advice.
    I got itv from huntington for 17150 plus taxes and fees.they first wanted 17350
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    What is included in this Value Package? Got a chance to really drive the wife's 3s yesterday and man...what a neat engine...sure puts my Civic to shame power wise. I really love my Civic, but that extra power on tap was exhilarating with her 2.3 engine.
    Got both cars cleaned this weekend and paint still looks great on 'em. Garaging down here in the South Florida sun is a must. Did have to finally replace the battery in the 3 on Saturday as it died Friday night and had to be jump started by Mazda roadside. Great perk that free roadside.

Zoom Zoom.

The Sandman :)
  • samduhmansamduhman Member Posts: 9
    I've gotten 3 quotes for the an automatic i touring Value Edition. All are right around $18400 OTD (tags, taxes, fees). First off does this sound like a legit offer since a fourth dealer says the other three are all lying. He couldn't sell his for less than $19200.

My tax is 6%, tags about $230 and fees $100 processing. Thier "internet" price is around $17100.

So are they lying and just trying to get me in the door and if not is this a good price?
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your reply. Did you get this car from huntington, Long Island, NY? If so are you allowed to give me your salesman's name?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    These seem like high prices for a 3i VE, considering that the 6i VE is a much nicer car (IMO) and can be had w/o haggling in my town (Twin Cities) for $5000 off sticker, or around $17,000 for a car with 5AT and moonroof--which would be around $18,500 OTD.

The dealer's quoted internet price on the 3i VE is a bit above invoice ($17,014), so it seems legit (they can make some more money off the holdback).
    Sandman,

For the touring value, you bascially get these extra features as standard equipments (compare to a regular i model):

Black mesh grille with body-color accent bar
    Fog lights &#150; clear-lens halogen
    Mirrors, dual power remote mirrors - body-color, folding-type
    Air Conditioning with pollen filter
    Ambient (outside) temperature display
    Centralized door locking feature &#150; driver's & front passenger's-side
    Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls - illuminated
    Delayed courtesy lights (dual map & dome lights)
    Illuminated driver-side power window switches
    Power door lock switches &#150; driver's-side & front passenger-side
    Power door locks with 2-stage unlocking
    Remote keyless illuminated entry system w/ "answer back" feature
    Steering wheel, 3-spoke leather-wrapped
    Windows, power with driver-side one-touch down feature w/ piano black trim panel
    Driver's seat with manual adjustable lumbar support
    Leather-wrapped shift knob (M/T and optional A/T)
    Dual front side-impact air bag & air curtains supplemental restraint system (SRS) &#150; front seat-mounted (front coverage)
    Keyless remote panic button feature (on key fob)
    Side air curtains &#150; front & rear coverage
    Power assist; Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) w/ Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) & Brake Assist

ZoomZoom
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    What is included in this Value Package?

The best deal is the Mazdaspeed 3. It can go to a HPDE and mix it up with 350Zs, Boxsters, and E36 M3s all day, return 23 mpg in everyday driving, and it's dirt cheap considering the level of performance you get.
    That's what I call a REAL Value Package... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Dennis is my sales guy at huntington.

They talked me into getting an alarm so I get the 1.9%.....but that guy got fired so they should not be to bad now.getting my money back for the alarm
  • ukirukir Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Bay area dealer is quoting OTD 22300 for Mazda 3s Grand touring with optional package: moon roof, 6cd player, bose speakers. Did anyone receive better deal than this one? Please let me know.

1.9APR/36 months included.

thanks
  • cnncnn Member Posts: 3
    i just got my Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Sedan with auto trans and Compass/Auto Dimming Mirror w/HomeLink at gunther mazda in ft.lauderdale for $18,125 otd with 1.9%/36mos at the end of march.
    2.3-liter has only 8hp more than 2.0, but it does make a big different in term of power. the car really zoom zoom.
  • samduhmansamduhman Member Posts: 9
    Made what I think was a fantastic score after researching and taking bids for two month I saved $1000 less than my next closest offer in my area.

I got a auto i touring value edition (yes, the newer version) for $17254 OTD! I don't have the exact figures but this is close enough to give you an idea.

tags - $230
    taxes $950
    processing $100

Ben Starke at Ourisman Mazda in Laurel MD came in with the lowest offer without knowing my other 10 or so offers. He promised he would not hassle me trying to increase the price and make the transaction quick and painless. I went totally expecting it to fail but he totally kept to his word. Great personality and knew the vehicle. I didn't feel pressured (other than my own cautiousness that he would pull something which he didn't ;) ) I only go to the trouble to write this because of al the hassles I received from other dealers while shopping. So he deserves the credit. I know who Im checking with first for my next car.
  • dpeimerdpeimer Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an '08 Mazda3 Grand Touring. It's silver with the Bose/Moonroof package plus wheel locks/cargo net. I got the price down to $20,590 (before taxes/fees) which was $950 below invoice. Very happy with the transaction and love the car!