Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sharkie21sharkie21 Member Posts: 14
    I like the blue lights on the odometer. Also the extra power. According to their site the fuel economy is 22/29 vs 23/30 for the i touring. also the fees of 300 was made up. What fees are there and how do I figure out it's costs?
  • dizbmikunidizbmikuni Member Posts: 5
    google 'dmv fee calculator' to see the dmv fees for your state. The dealers I went to in CA charged about 50-60 bucks over that, but it wasnt that big of a deal to me. Just watch out for huge increases over that price.
    So I googled fees on DMV. I see the following: ad valorem tax ($290), title ($18), registration($20), and tags ($20). Are there any fees that I am missing?

So when I buy a new car will I pay all these fees as well and not need to pay the tax commissioner? How does it work?

Thanks.
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    Okay, I paid $22167 before TTL.

The above car in Copper Red Mica with ...

Bose/moonroof package
    Auto Dim mirror with Compass
    Rear Spoiler
    Remote Start
    Sirius Satellite Radio with 6 month free subscription
  • homeagain3homeagain3 Member Posts: 10
    I guess Maine is more willing to sell than VA.

Edmonds shows the invoice for the S Grand Touring AT as $19875 plus $650 destination, so LauraDavid's price was about $1000 below invoice. I wish I could have found that deal!

I had the invoice price for this vehicle with all of the options I wanted at $22757. I was able to get it last week for $22167. Not as amazing as LauraDavid's but still $2000 less than the local dealer wanted for the same car.

There was one deal in particular that helped me out in making an offer, so thanks for everyone who is willing to post, so that they can help others get a better deal.
  • rnsmelrnsmel Member Posts: 14
    Hey Everyone!

I am interested in purchasing a Mazda 3 Sedan i touring value model, standard no options.
    I've been communicating with 3 different dealerships in my area, 2 of which responded with these totals which supposedly includes tax, title, and license.

Everett, WA - $21617.69
    Kirkland, WA - $19,346.70

The guy in Kirkland was nice enough to ask me if the price worked for me. Honestly, it is way beyond my budget.

I have a trade-in (2005 Ford Escape, 4WD XLT) and still owe about 18,000 on it. I'm looking for a $350.00 or less monthly payment with hopefully, a 5.99% interest rate with the credit union I currently have my loan with.

I'm new dealing with car sales people I definitely want to get the price lowered but I'm not sure how to do it. Any advice would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mel
    I keep seeing people refer to buying a mazda3 2008.5. How do I know if I'm getting a 2008.5 or 2008 and what is the difference? Everytime I google it refers to the mazda3speed.

Thanks.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    The easiest difference is the 2008.5 radio system can play a MP3 CD. You just look for the letters "MP3" right next to the CD slot.
  • sladzinssladzins Member Posts: 2
    Another way is via the inventory search on the Mazda USA site. Non-2008.5 models are listed under separate "Early 2008 production" subcategories.
  • trivialpursuittrivialpursuit Member Posts: 2
    It also doesn't look like a great deal. I am getting offers for a 3 Sedan i TVE w/Auto of around 15,700. This is not OTD and doesn't include tax, etc., but no way that would rise over 19K. The price of the car, which you should have seen by now, is probably about 17,500.
    The first thing you should do is treat the financing, monthly payment, new purchase, and trade-in as separate items. When you roll them together you may confused. Get your financing pre-approved, and be aware that the $350 monthly payment you want over 60 mo at 6% w/ 0 down is an 18,100 OTD price.

I have to say I think you are going to have trouble with the trade-in. There are a lot of SUVs coming in for trade. Don't know if 18K for an Escape is feasible. If it's not, the dealer may tell you they'll pay off the loan but the trade-off is an even worse price on the Mazda3.

If the prices you are getting are too high, say so, politely. Also ask for a breakdown of where the total numbers are coming from. If they won't provide it, walk away. If they do provide it, challenge anything that doesn't look legit. This will also expose the sell price of the vehicle. You should be able to push it downward. In terms of tactics I would basically tell the high guy he's the high guy, and you aren't even inclined to take the low guy's offer, and see if the high guy counters.
    Thank you for your response. I haven't told the dealer that I have a trade in yet. I was hoping to get at least 10,000 for it since there are some cosmetic flaws I never got fixed. I emailed the dealer with your suggestion on the breakdown and is awaiting a response. Thanks again for your help!
    Okay the dealership in Everett responded..

"Melissa, the price last quote by my partner was off a bit!!
    the total is $19083.58

car price is $17338 plus 1543.08 tax, $152.50 license and title transfer fee, and $50.00 doc fee.

please call me today... for an appt."

The fees are pretty close to accurate, now I just have to work on getting the car price lowered. I thought it seemed pretty fishy with the first quote because this dealership came with the lowest car quote of the 3. Over $4000.00 for tax and fees..lol

I still haven't talked about my trade in though. When is a good time to mention the trade-in?...before we set a price or after?
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    A decent price on a 18000 mazda3 i touring value auto is about 16000 or less. Perhaps around that with low financing. To keep things simple, look up the wholesale value of your escape on nada.com and kbb.com. If it has dents and such and is an 06 with average miles I doubt it wholesales for more than 9000 in nada fair condition.

You may be lucky to get that. If you owe 18000 on it you are 9000 under water? If I'm reading this correctly How did you do this? I don't know if they will let you finance the mazda and 9000 additonal for favorable rates.

Good luck
    --jjf

Okay the dealership in Everett responded..

"Melissa, the price last quote by my partner was off a bit!!
    the total is $19083.58

car price is $17338 plus 1543.08 tax, $152.50 license and title transfer fee, and $50.00 doc fee.

please call me today... for an appt."

The fees are pretty close to accurate, now I just have to work on getting the car price lowered. I thought it seemed pretty fishy with the first quote because this dealership came with the lowest car quote of the 3. Over $4000.00 for tax and fees..lol

I still haven't talked about my trade in though. When is a good time to mention the trade-in?...before we set a price or after?
    Hey thanks for your response!

I bought the Escape brand new, I got into a loan that was beyond my budget, I was stupid and wasn't thinking straight.
    I don't understand why the car value dropped so much since I bought it in 2005.
    Since then the car does have cosmetic damages to the bumper from an accident that I never fixed and the windshield needs to be replaced. Other than that the paint is still shiny like new and the interior is still considered good and clean.

I financed the Escape for around $32,000 (>,<) with a interest rate of 5.29% I've been paying ever since.

I asked the Kirkland location to break down the price he gave me and this is what he came back with:

2008 MAZDA 3I TOURING VE AUTOMATIC

Color (Exterior/Interior) METROPOLITAN GRAY MICA /BLACK

Option Group ZO6 - NON MOONROOF VEHICLE
    Port Installed Accessories NONE
    MSRP $18,145.00

YOUR PRICE $17,229.00

TAX $1,602.30

LICENSE $137.50

DOC FEE $50.00

OTD PRICE $19,018.80

he is now lower than the Everett location. Could I really get the Mazda 3 itouring value model for 16,000 which is below invoice?..i was hoping to get the trade-in to 10,000 since black book quotes around 11,000 for excellent condition.

If I add the remaining to the new car loan hopefully my payments can still be in my 350.00 range?
    I'm getting a quote of $19,950 OTD. Is that a good quote?

-doc fee 400. title / license fee 66.
    -tax 7%
    -options sunroof/audio; wing spoiler; compass mirror with homelink

I'm not sure if its 2008 or 2008.5

Is it true that you can only get a white car if it's 2008.5?
    The i touring regular model (2008) wholesales for 13000 and change in its 07 version. 16000 and change is a fair price for the touring ve. Some have quoted lower but it is a moot point with a loan so far under water. If you look up your 05 on kbb.com or nada.com I would expect the black book price you have is the highest of them. Your car would rate probably fair cond. and many are lucky to get the kbb price.

By all means if your particular dealer here will give you 10k when you ask for 12 and refinance the whole shebang 19k +8k at 5 or 3.9% I may do it. On the other hand, the escape can't have that many miles on it to book so high. You may want to fix the windshield and drive it, especially since you may have purchased an extended warranty for the 32k? Forget about gas mileage as with the new vehicle and such you won't recover the difference with a 30% increase in mileage. I doubt you can finance 27000 for 60 months for 350 a month at even 3.9%. Thats probably 530/mo.

You could get 10 bids via email from mazda dealers via their website. Work with the three or so lowest and describe the trade.

Good luck
    --jjf
    Hey thanks for your response!

I bought the Escape brand new, I got into a loan that was beyond my budget, I was stupid and wasn't thinking straight.
    I don't understand why the car value dropped so much since I bought it in 2005.
    Since then the car does have cosmetic damages to the bumper from an accident that I never fixed and the windshield needs to be replaced. Other than that the paint is still shiny like new and the interior is still considered good and clean.

I financed the Escape for around $32,000 (>,
  • dcmscramerdcmscramer Member Posts: 1
    Copper red, touring, with moonroof and 6 CD player, wheel locks, delaer installed tint, $19600 w/ 3.9% financing.

Buying through the internet is the only way to go.
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Congratulation on your new ZoomZoom.
    the quiet dealer of the 3 finally responded...here's what he came back with:

"To answer your question the MSRP is $18,130 and your price will be $16,800 which is over 200 below invoice. Tax and license will be Aprox $1,575. so the total for the vehicle is $18,375. This does not figure in the trade as we will have to evaluate it."

does this sound like a good deal?...could I try for less on the car price?..say 16,500
  • mizzoumazdamizzoumazda Member Posts: 17
    If I were giving you financial advice, and I guess I am, I would say keep the Escape.. By buying a new car, you end up with a huge amount of debt, much of which is going to the depreciation and lost value of the Escape. If you are doing this for gas mileage reasons, you will never come close to recouping. And don't overemphasize what your monthly payment is; think about your total debt, so that you are not underwater forever. .Just my two cents.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    If you are doing this for gas mileage reasons, you will never come close to recouping.

I agree; I ran the numbers and if I were to trade my 28 mpg Mazdaspeed3 for
    something that got 35 mpg I'd save $1.20 a day. That's assuming an annual mileage of 15,000 and gas at $4.10/gallon. Anyway, I doubt I could find a true four seat car that gets 35 mpg AND runs the 1/4 mile in 14 seconds flat...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Thinking in the same way, If you can't keep the escape, for whatever reason, you want to concentrate on financing about 27000-28000 for 3.9 % or the best you can get . Your efforts should be to get as close to 10k or better on your trade, and financing about 27k (19k or so for the sedan and 8k of the ford) at the lowest rate.

You will not really save anything with gas prices getting 30% better mpg especially with your situation. If that is your reasoning it may be better to fix the windshield and keep the Ford. If you really can't get near 10k for the ford and your current payment is 350, and the best you are looking at new is around 600 that may be the case.

The money on the table here is 7k or more over 5 years on trade in and refinance terms, not 1000 or so on the mazda sales price. 28k for 5 years at 3.9% probably is 500/mo. If that is so that should be your target. (preferably 4 years for more). Shop credit unions and your bank. If your credit is poor it will be more.

Give the top 3 bidders on the mazda your trade description and see who can give the best monthly payment for 5 years. You may have to do some legwork to show the trade to the finalists but do most of it by internet and phone.

Good luck
    --jim
    Yes I was beginning to get second thoughts about my situation but the main reason is for me to get a lower monthly payment (currently $500.00 a month) on a car that wont cost me 60.00 every 4 days on gas.

All your advice makes a lot of sense to me, it also helps me with my decisions, over all I still want to at least try to get the dealers to help me out. I'll explain my situation and ask that if they can help me, if so, they can have my business. If not, then I guess it just isn't the time.

I do have a credit union in mind, in fact, it's the same credit union I have the Ford financed under. I already talked to them and told them my situation and they gave me 2 choices, get approved for credit directly from the bank or at the dealership. Either way it will be the same, they say however, the dealership has more advantage to getting me into a loan?...she says they have their ways.

The auto loan for the credit union I am at has interest rates starting 5.99% to 13%. I do want to stay with the credit union because they are local and easier to access.

initially my anticipated finance amount was to fall around the 27,000 range...but that has to include all taxes and fees. I guess it only works out if they can satisfy my monthly payment. We'll see, I'm about to email them all now. Wish me luck!

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

Mel
  • 2hokies22hokies2 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2008.5 Mazda3 5-door Grand Touring in Crystal White Pearl Mica with the Air Dam, Cargo Tray, All-Weather Mats, Compass/Autodim, Moonroof/6CD/Bose, SIRIUS, Moonroof Wind Deflector and the CWP Charge of $200.

Sticker was $24,798 . The internet sales manage provided a quote of $22,700 and I ended up paying about $22,250 with the 3.9% before taxes, etc.

Took it off the showroom floor at Ourisman Mazda in Laurel, MD. I had talked to the internet sales manager before, but he could not locate a white one, so I waited. He contacted me the day it arrived and I drove it off the showroom floor with 5 miles on it later that evening. I couldn't be happier with the dealer. I did some research on Edmunds right after he sent the quote and I went down ready to buy. I offered him a monthly payment ($400/month), a term (60 mos.) a down payment ($2,000) and a finance rate (3.9%) and said "make it happen". We finally agreed on $403/mo. after the sales manager made an original offer of $453/mo (which would have meant paying MSRP!!! HA!).

I think I also made them very disappointed when I turned down all the add-ons like undercoatings and extended warranties. But the finance guy was very nice and did not charge me extra for the Chesapeake Bay tags.

Hope this helps!
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    I just got a offer for this car OTD for $17,291. It doesn't come with any options other than wheel locks I believe. That seems like a good price but was wanting to get some feed back if I could. Thanks in advance.
    A very good price on an s auto 5 door msrp 19500 is 16500. If yours is an auto and taxes and title are 1200 in your state you have an very jumpable deal (after trying for more of course) If you are in a low tax state and an auto about average, if a manual and low tax bad deal. An average deal with 3.9% would make it a good deal.

Good luck
    --jjf

just got a offer for this car OTD for $17,291. It doesn't come with any options other than wheel locks I believe. That seems like a good price but was wanting to get some feed back if I could. Thanks in advance
  • mike1111mike1111 Member Posts: 93
    Thanks for the reply. It is the Auto and its the first offer I recieved from the first place I contacted. I'm gonna send the offer to a couple other dealers and see what they say.
  • mmenardmmenard Member Posts: 68
    Got an offer on a 5 dr. s touring with sunroof package $21015 msrp for $19214 with a lease of $2000 down, 24 months, 12k miles for $241 tx. incl. I think this is high.

Any thoughts?
    Yes it is the normal lease (it is a fleece). More in line would be 250 or so with no or little money down and 15000 miles. A normal purchase price for a vehicle like this would be 18000 or lower.I think i've seen the Accords and the Malibus (also selling for around 18k with about 250/mo. for 39 months.)

You may be able to finance the vehicle for 18000 or less over 36 months at mazda's 3.9 % for 600 or so and own the vehicle.

Avoid putting money down on a lease. Its like putting 2000 down in advance rent for a apt for 400.mo. Doesn't get you anything and if the building burns down (the vehicl gets totalled) good luck getting your dough back. Most lease insurance only pays for the remaining payments and the remaining value of the car I believe (to the bank).

Good luck
    --jjf
  • frizellfrizell Member Posts: 6
    what state are you in?? Can you tell me what Dealership you are talking to?? I have been shopping for a month now. Can't get anybody to sell it less then $18,000(state, VA)
  • ike3ike3 Member Posts: 81
    A bit off topic, but this is a very active board. Spoke to an area Mazda dealer here in western NY state. He thinks that heatable outside mirrors will be available on the Touring and Grand Touring versions. Release of the 2009 model is in September.
    Any sales type read or heard similar? If this is true, it will be the first time this feature is available for the U.S. market. Canada has been getting this feature all along, except for the base model.
    Also, will LED tail lights and brake lights be available on lower trim levels for '09?
  • martyd76martyd76 Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone-

a local dealer here in CT gave me the following offer, and i would love to get some feedback from all you experts here.

$18,954 - total, out the door, all taxes/fees included.

the car:
    2008 3i Touring Auto
    -Moonroof/6 CD package
    -Wheel locks
    -Metro. Gray Mica

what do you all think? thanks in advance!
    -marty
    hey everyone im back again..lol

i got pre-approved for a loan, now i can actually put more thought into buying the car.

what's a good OTD price for a 2008 mazda i touring value, standard no options.

tax in wa is 9.8%

title and license, etc probably around 300.00

I offered the dealer $18317.00 OTD he said he couldn't based on my monthly payment request if i financed thru them.

Now that I have a loan what would be a good offer?

I just emailed the same dealer ive been in contact with and OTD price of $17868.
  • mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I purchased my i touring value edition on 5/31/08 in NY. The options where auto, moonroof, wheel locks. MSRP $19070, I paid $17,600 for the car, $1518 taxes, $10 inspection fee, $12.50 tire recycling fee, $45 registration fee, $150 plate fee (I received a $15 refund from the state), = total out the door $19335.50

I also got the 5 year 3.9% financing.
    An average price on the i touring ve msrp 18100 (automatic) is about 16000 or so + tax and tags. Anything in the low to mid 15000's would be exceptional, at least for now. Your price of 17868 for everything seems about average or a bit better.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • annasmolkaannasmolka Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks,
    I need some help here: I've been looking around for a new Mazda 3 i Touring automatic and one dealer quoted me what looks like a great price:
    $15,800
    that is for a bare 3 i Touring automatic, no options at all.
    Destination included, dealer fee $699 and then add tax and tags.
    So bottom line (out-the-door what they called it) price would be in the vicinity of 17,750.
    Does that sound too good to be true or am I missing something?
    The second closest quote was about $1,000 higher than that.
    Thanks a bunch!
  • isabel70isabel70 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, all. Looking for feedback please. In Allentown, PA:

2008.5 Mazda3 S Touring Auto Sedan. Only option is the moonroof/6 CD.
    Given price of $19,990 plus tax/title/tags.

It seems to match up with the prices on CR/Edmunds but if the 2009's are coming out in 3 mos or so, should I be holding out for lower?
    Thanks!
    is that for the new i touring?
    That's for a new 2008 i touring.
    But now that I think about it I didn't even ask if it was the VE or not - I just assumed it was! :) I gotta email the dealer tomorrow.
  • mizzoumazdamizzoumazda Member Posts: 17
    I got a similar quote for a 2008 i Value automatic (not 2008.5) after some negotiating with only option ABS and side curtains (I think those come with Touring Value 2008.5?), and I bought the car. But what is that $699? Is that on top of the quote? That sounds like a phantom charge to me and changes the quote. Mine included destination, but there was no "dealer charge." Taxes and tags were extra. Anyway, I didn't feel like I got a rock bottom price, but I still think it is a decent price for the car I got, which except for the infamous lack of trunk remote, has the stuff and the performance I want.
  • artz2artz2 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I got a Copper Red Mica 2008.5 Mazda3 S Grand Touring AT Sedan for $20,500 + dealer fee ($400) + tax + tag/title from an Atlanta dealer.

Options installed:

-Moonroof/6CD/Bose Package
    -Compass Auto-Dim Mirror

Is this a good price for the car? Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks. :)
    For the 5 door hatch touring auto with sunroof, I think the msrp is about 21000, I would think 18300 (low 18's) is an average price (or more with 3.9 financing). For the hatch auto sport msrp 19600 in the low 17's is about average, very good being mid 16000s.

For the I touring ve auto msrp 18100 the low 16000's seems to be average, mid 15000's being unusually good. Prices inclusive of everything except tax and state licence fees. (Hint: add anything above $40 in doc fees to the price)

I believe kbb.com puts the trade in of an 07 s sport auto 5 door in the mid 14000's so even the low 17000's is good for a new 08. A i touring 07, equipped like the 08 touring ve has a trade in of the low 13's so the low 16's (average) for a new 08 is still ok.

About the end of july or august you could knock off 500 or more on the figures, more so for the touring ve sedan as there seem to be a lot of them. The area can affect things too. There is a high demand for 30mpg vehicles the last 5 months. The last 50 cents to 4.00/gal upped the battyness factor tenfold.

Good luck
    --jjf

Hello,

I got a Copper Red Mica 2008.5 Mazda3 S Grand Touring AT Sedan for $20,500 + dealer fee ($400) + tax + tag/title from an Atlanta dealer.

Options installed:

-Moonroof/6CD/Bose Package
    -Compass Auto-Dim Mirror

Is this a good price for the car? Any opinions appreciated
    That's great to know, at least I'm going in the right direction..lol

Unfortunately, I declined. He says he will sell it to me for 17,029 + tax, etc.

A dealer offered 16800 and and another offered 16700..I want less..lol

If you say 16000 is about average then I will push for it. I mentioned to the sales guy that I heard these cars can be sold in the high 15,000 to low 16,000 range before tax and license, etc and he told me that's only for the sport model.

He seems determined to sell me a car..pushy almost. Anyone bought a car in the Seattle area?..I wonder if taxes and such differ.
  • artz2artz2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the figures. The car I'm shooting for is a 4 door sedan. Could you possibly give a good price for the 4 door S Grand Touring auto?
    Technically a ok price is about 20% above the trade in value on a year old used one (kbb.com, nada.com). Less as August passes. Prices I would give are irrelevant. Taking a number to a random mazda dealer who may be in a great area and having a great month and beating your head against the wall trying to get money off is not fruitful. (where are the counter-bids?)

Putting out email requests for bids to 10-20 dealers within 100-200 miles (mazda website-all prices inclusive off all dealer fees) last week of the month and getting the 2-5 that will deal bidding lower is fruitful, especially from your living room watching TV. The lowest price you can get for a given month is the lowest you can get. But you must hold the auction, seeing who may break.

Good luck
    --jjf

Thank you for the figures. The car I'm shooting for is a 4 door sedan. Could you possibly give a good price for the 4 door S Grand Touring auto?
    Future reference for people in WA. The dealer told me Seattle tax is 9.3% and Lynnwood is 9.2%.

What are the basic fees that are they add?

Tax, License Fee...Anything else?
    Everybody,thanks for your valuable input.

I have another question: I'm a bit confused about the Value Edition thing.
    So my understanding is that the VE comes standard with ABS and side airbags.
    And the regular i Touring doesn't have those but some dealers are offering what they call "i Touring with a value package" which in other words is the ABS/SAB/SAC package. So what would be the difference between the VE and the regular i Touring with value package? Anything I should watch out for?
    And how much of a difference in price should I expect?

Thanks again!!
    AS
    Going today to purchase my vehicle if things go according to plan.

2008 mazda 3 i touring value in metro gray mica/black
    standard/no options

price 16,262.81
    doc fee 49.00
    tax 1512.44
    license 125.75
    total $17,950 otd

thanks again everyone for your responses!
    Hey Artz,

I'm also in the atlanta region. Perhaps we can work together to get a better deal.

Send me an email at sharkie21@yahoo.com
  • isabel70isabel70 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, all. Looking for feedback please! In Allentown, PA:

2008.5 Mazda3
    S Touring /Auto/ Sedan 4-door.
    Only option is the moonroof/6 CD.
    Dealer's price is $19,990 plus tax/title/tags.

It seems to match up with the prices on CR/Edmunds but if the 2009's are coming out in 3 mos or so, should I be holding out for lower?
    Thanks!