Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Is there really a 2000-3000 dealer incentive?

No.
  • ktc9ktc9 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys:

I'm new to this forum, but spent a big part of this week negotiating, and thought I'd get a sanity check from you experts:

I have an offer for a '09 3i Touring VE, Auto Trans, including tax/title/licensing (OTD) for $17,300. This is in the San Francisco Bay Area, the dealers don't seem too eager to sell. Is this worth negotiating further, or do you guys think it's about as long as it gets? What about buying before vs. after Christmas?

Thanks!
    Oh, sorry, here the TTL is about 9-10%, so off the $17300 OTD that means the sales price is about $15727-$15871.
  • luckyforever1luckyforever1 Member Posts: 9
    That's a great deal. Do you by chance have the dealers's info. I would like to check it out.

thanks much in advance.
  • jym626jym626 Member Posts: 21
    luckyforever,
    I will ask my s for the info. The dealership he dealt with (Tyrone Mall Mazda) did not initially offer this great deal. In fact, they initially came in with an offer $2k higher and claimed it was a great price. However, another dealership nearby gave him this super offer on an internet quote, and Tyrone Mall Mazda then matched the deal (or possibly beat it by a few dollars). I'll post the name of the one who gave the great internet quote when I get it. Hope this helps.
    luckyforever,
    Are you in FL?? The dealership that gave him the great internet quote was Ferman Mazda of Brandon. It included the destination charge, but not T,T and L. The St. Pete (Tyrone Mall) dealership matched it (or came in a tad lower) to get the sale, but as I said, they initially claimed a price $2k higher was a "great deal". I don't think you can get these prices with the 0% financing (you will probably have to pick one or the other- the low price or 0% financing. Don't know about what they'd coordinate with the 3.9% financing Mazda also offers on some deals). They first tried to offer a 6.25% financing, but when my son mentioned he could get financing at our credit union up here for 4.75%, they instantly hooked him up with a local FL credit union that offered financing at 4.95% (which was close enough so he went ahead, since it would take a few days to get things coordinated with the credit union up here in a different state). We knew he could easily join our credit union and would be able to get the low interest rate, but it would take a few days and the difference was negligible. We don't know what the Brandon dealership would have offered for the trade-in, so can't determine what they might have done with that. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Pepperleafand luckyforever,
    I may have inadvertently replied to my ownmessage, so am reposting so that you are aware I provided the internet deal offered byt he dealership in Brandon, FL. This was their offer:
    Your special Internet price on the 2009 I-Touring VE w/auto Mazda3 Sedan is:
    MSRP: [~$18,515~]
    YOUR PRICE: [~$15,382~] Loaded w-features , After all discounts.

Good luck with your purchases! My s loves his new Mazda!
  • john_aejohn_ae Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys--

Northern Washington state -- no awesome FL pricing for us up at the other corner of the country, alas. 2008 i Touring 4dr automatic. ABS/SAB/SAC but no other options. Pretty much exactly to our specifications, except that it's gray, and I love the Phantom Purple. 15,000 miles, clean Carfax report, traded in by single local owner. Sticker price is $14995, my price is $13995 + taxes & fees - my $200 junker trade-in.

We haven't purchased this car yet, we will have our mechanic inspect it this week before we finalize the deal. The reason I'm posting is because I want to run a maybe-gotcha in front of you guys. There is some very light body damage on the car -- a 1" wide dimple on the roof of the car above the driver side door, and a 3"-4" long crease near dead center on the roof. Neither piece of damage is very deep, but they are quite noticeable. They seem purely cosmetic to me, but what do I know about body damage?

The salesman says that this damage is from a falling tree branch, and they have promised to fix it before we finalize (and they will). My wife and I went over the car carefully and there is no other visible body damage -- no scratches on the windshield or windows, no paint or glass damage from sap, etc, etc. I'm confident my mechanic will catch any major gotchas with this car, but I'm wondering if the lot's repairs might void some part of my factory warranty, since they are not a Mazda dealership or service center.

It's been a long haul to find a Mazda3 with the safety features we need at a price we like, but I'm willing to dump this one and move on if there's major red flags around this problem.
  • obleuobleu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks in advance for any advice! We received a quote for 20,000 out the door (this includes 6.25% sales tax, 175 fees, 80 license transfer) on a 2008 Mazda 3 s touring, White Pearl Mica, sunroof, and sirius satellite. The car has 50 miles on it. It took 20 minutes to get him down to 20,000 out the door, but we walked hoping he would really want to sell this car and offer a bit lower since it is a 2008 model. Is this a good deal? Or can we find better. We would like to save some money by purchasing a 2008 and am having a hard time finding 2008 in our area. I can get a 2009 w/ almost the same options for about 2000 more. Thanks!
    '09 3i Touring VE auto transmission, no other options, for about $15,700. The car was totally brand new with only 4 miles and just came off the truck! We paid cash for that price.
    Where are you located ktc9?
    San Francisco bay area.
    Hi jym626:

Thanks so much for those information.

I am sorry I did not make myself clear about the ask. I live in GA, so I was asking for the dealer info you metioned in ATL. Sorry about that. But those information you provided is very helpful as well. It gave me some ideas about what price range I should have in mind when negotiating with the dealers.

Do you still have the newspaper? If possible, could you please let me know which dealer is offering 5000 off the MRSP?

thanks much.
    Where in GA are you, luckyforever? I don't have the paper any more, but I do recall several good deals. The one I quoted above was at Rick Case. I think Southerlin had a good deal on a car as well, but not as good as Rick Case's.
    I forgot to mention, Rick Case also offers a 10 yr, 100k mi warrantee.

*** edit*** And if you live in the metro Atlanta area, you really don't want to have to deal with a stickshift in this traffic!! I'd go for the automatic.
  • j70j70 Member Posts: 6
    ktc9, which dealer in the bay area did you get it for that price?
  • Ken_DFAKen_DFA Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to mine the communal opinions on this board about my recent quote:
    2009 Mazda 3s Sport 5-door auto, no additional options - $17,600 + TTL for a total of $19,185 OTD. I think I can get better than this considering that the new generation will be out in a few months. This was from central Illinois.

Their initial offer was $17,983, so they were only willing to come down $383 before they stopped haggling. I walked. No hurry to buy (especially in this economy).

Your thoughts?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    2009 Mazda 3s Sport 5-door auto,....I think I can get better than this considering that the new generation will be out in a few months

Allocations for the 2009 5-door were very small, less then 25% of total Mazda3 volume. If there are any Mazda3's sitting around in March-April when the 2010 gets here, my money in on the sedans.

I have over 70 Mazda3's in inventory, and only 13 are 5-doors.
  • j70j70 Member Posts: 6
    FWIW, walked into the local Mazda dealer (North CA, bay area) and was offered 17,500 + TTL without any haggling. I'm in the same situation where I'm not in a hurry to buy.

Anyone have thoughts on how Mazda will play out given its relation to Ford?
  • b00134nb00134n Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I might be able to find a good deal on a new '08 or '09 Mazda3 in Southern CA?

Would very much appreciate it. :-)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    how Mazda will play out given its relation to Ford?

My understanding is that Ford did not dispose of but rather reduced its share in Mazda. Considering Ford's state of affairs, Mazda having less of a connection with the blue oval may be a good thing.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Ford did not dispose of but rather reduced its share in Mazda

"Ford sells Mazda shares - 33% stake shrinks to 13%
    Nov. 18 2008. Ford today announced it will sell 20% of Mazda, raising $540 million in much needed cash. As much as 6.9 percent will be sold back to Hiroshima-based Mazda, while the other 13.1 percent will be sold to unidentified investors. ... Ford acquired a 25 percent stake in Mazda in 1979 ... raised its stake in the carmaker to 33.4 percent in May of 1996, when the company effectively became a part of the Ford family." Source: www.leftlanenews.com
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. Buying a 2009 Mazda 3 Hatch this month and I had some questions. I am thinking of buying a cold air intake for more power but my friend who owns a 2008 says I'm nuts. I have test driven this car a few times and I know it has power but what about the highway? I frequently drive over 80 and am I going to have trouble passing people, making two lane passes, etc...?? Do I need this intake? Also, does the intake really help that much? I have heard mixed reviews about it. And I can't seem to find one online for a 2009, I only see for 2008 models and below. It's the same engine and should fit, right? Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Just an FYI, it is both a violation of the site rules and completely unnecessary to cross-post the same post all over the place.

As others have said, skip the CAI, it won't net you anything but a little extra noise. If the Mazda3 hatch is too slow, your only real alternative is to buy a MazdaSpeed3.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Did not realize that's its against the rules to post same message in multiple chat rooms. Sorry about that.
  • jatecjatec Member Posts: 7
    i'm looking to buy an Hatchback GT with moonroof option before the new year,

talked with a dealer on the phone today, and got down to about 22000 out the door, just wanted to get some feedback from you all to see whether i could still get it down lower.

thanks in advance for your responses
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    Your quote is ok for now but may get a lot better by next week.

I just received a quote on an 09 M3 GT with moonroof, 6 cd, and manual tranny for $21,202 + tax. Original price was $23,159 + tax. I strolled the showroom last Saturday and he called me twice today and sent 2 emails. I called back and said that his price was still too high and that I may wait for an '010 model. He then got very animated and said that we can "work on that price as sales kind of slow right now and we have a high inventory." I'm curious to know what the real list price is.

The other dealer that I visited on Sat. has called me once and sent me 3 emails but they only have the loaded GT with auto and Nav. with a list of over $26,000--which the salesman said "we will work hard on this sale, and we can be flexible, but I don't see them selling that GT for under $21k. Dealers were Brown's Mazda in Chantilly, Va. and Fitzmall in Frederick, Md. I really wanted to buy before the holiday's and will wait to see how flexible they can get over the next week.
  • ogurekogurek Member Posts: 13
    hello all,
    i am interested in buying a mazda3 hatchback. i got this quote from Crystal Auto Mall (in NJ):

2009 Copper Red Mica Mazda MAZDA3 HB Auto s Touring
    MSRP $20,445
    their price: $19,336 (including destination)

i havent been able to get a quote from other dealers, but it seems kind of high. there is only one car like this (without moonroof/sound upgrade) on their lot.
    any opinions about this?
    btw: there seems to be a 2,000 to cash to customer rebate for 2008 models.
    thanks for reading. :)
  • dailydriver2dailydriver2 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer is asking 15,900 before ttl for a gray 09 i Touring sedan. Good deal or no? 4 speed atx, and i think it has a 6 disc changer
    it's a bit too high

i'm in Nj as well, looking at GT's and i'm getting on avg 20500 on my quotes in cluding destination, so touring has to be atleast 1800 down from that. I've got a quote of 21000 out the door for a 2008 touring with moonroof option auto. Just FYI

i'd aim for a 20k OTD for a touring right now, just me though
    thanks for replying,
    i got a quote from another dealer, Open Road Mazda of East Brunswick, for an 08 model (so i guess including the 2000 rebate):

$16,533 just the car, w/o destination
    or $19,026.26 OTD (again only one car, galaxy grey)

should i jump on this deal?
    it sounds like a decent price, if you got that on an email i would just go in
    and try and negotiate more. i got a quote for 17500 w/o destination on the 09 model from wayne mazda.

Open road have called me and try to push me to buy a 08 as well, when i was inquiring 09 model, and they sent me a quote for sedan instead of HB. So i'm getting my quote done again.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    Helping a friend out with this, and wanted to know if this was a reasonable offer from the dealer. No rush to buy, but am curious...

In Cleveland Area (Cuyahoga County)...
    2009 Mazda3 s Grand Touring
    Automatic
    Bose/Roof Package
    Satellite Radio

MSRP: 24,280

Dealer offered right off the bat S-Plan pricing. After incentives were at 21,412...after TTL were at 23,412.

Seemed pretty aggressive but I guess my two questions are: Is this a good deal and is there any room left to negotiate? It included a $1000 cash incentive on the price, but I'm thinking given the new Mazda3 coming out in a couple of months, that that incentive is bound to get better.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    it seems like a good deal (under invoice)
    but im betting that in a few months as the 2010 models come around, dealers will be a lot more motivated to get the 2009s out the door

of course, then there is a chance that your configuration/color may not be available
    if possible find out when the 1000 incentive expires
    if you are not in a rush, id consider waiting a bit more

or make it clear to the dealer that they need to motivate you to buy now rather than later
    and if they want to make their sales numbers for the month, they might be able to go down even more

bottom line, cant hurt to ask, worst case they say no and are firm and you weigh your options
    i got that price from an email, and i did double check that its a hatchback model
    my goal is to set the final price via email, since im not good at negotiating in person

i emailed wayne mazda for a quote and they gave me 17200 car w/destination
    this is basically the same as open road, so i think ill get them to beat each other

is there any particular reason why you want an 09 and not an 08?
    the msrp is higher for 09 and there are less incentives
    well, i'd get my price down via email and phone, and then really talk it down in person. So far they'd keep pushing you to go in for the test drive, and i don't think they'll come to their bottomline unless you go in.

Consider all things right now, i'm getting about 500 difference between 09 and 08, considering all incentives. Alot of dealers are out of 08 gt models as well. But 500 difference is what i'm getting in my research.

and the value lost from having an 08 and 09 is prabably more than 500 down 5 years...i think
    i know what you mean. every dealer, after they give me a quote, asks me when i want to come down to see/drive it.

i know from my last car buying experience im not really good at those high-pressure must-talk-the-talk on-the-spot moments.
    what do you mean 'really talk it down in person'? it seems they are already pretty low so i dont know how low can i reasonably ask. i cant even say i want to pay invoice since they are already below invoice :(

yes, the msrp went up, 500$ sounds about right. but i didnt realize there were any incentives on the 09 models, while there seems to be a 2000$ on the 08s.

as for value, im guessing since they are introducing the 2010s so early, there'll be much less 09s than 08s as used cars. and it depends how quickly youre planning to resell after buying, since depreciation is not linear.

anyways... i told wayne mazda to beat the open road mazda 19000 OTD. they replied that they only have one car like that and it has the moonroof package, and 19350 OTD is as low as theyll go. so now i guess i can check back in with open road :P
    Well, i know for a fact that what they give you on the phone is not their bottom line, i'm not a good negotiator my self, so i have to ask people around me whether i should keep haggling.

there weren't any incentives on 09, but the incentives vary from dealer, since wayne mazda didn't say anything about the $2000, and still came in with a better price.. if you ask me.. since moonroof package is roughly 1k, and you're getting it for 350..

and well, if 500 is the difference then i'll take the 09, but if any more i'd consider the 08, but then there are just a lack of GTs for 08 ATM, so i just have to keep looking. I don't really want to drive 50 miles to buy a car.

Are you paying cash or financing? just wanted to know so i have a better idea on their prices. But thx for the heads up, now i have a better idea atleast for these two dealers.
  • SportbikerSportbiker Member Posts: 1
    Don't know if this will help given the differences, but you can be the judge. I just went through evaluating costs for an 09i Touring sedan, manual, no options. The rates are all running $15,400 for the car/dest alone in Indianapolis and the Chicago area.

The single exception is a quote from Pugi in Downer's Grove, IL for $16100 OTD (IN taxes figured in). They were an outlier that was $600 below everyone else but their responses have been slow, ignored previous information and I'm getting multiple people emailing me. I take all those as bad signs and given the distance from us, not worth the risk.

Tomorrow we're buying one from Raisor Ford/Mazda for $16700 OTD. I'll throw up the real numbers when we're done with it all.
    Hi Sportbiker:

you are talking about i touring NOT i touring value right?
    i just went to the mazda website and only 'i Touring Value' shows up, no 'i Touring'
    same thing when you go to edmunds

edmunds says invoice w/destination is $16,690, so your $15,400 is 1300 below invoice, so that sounds decent

i agree that its a bad sign if youre getting multiple contacts, since that means they may not honor your quote

good luck with the purchase! :D
    i guess that makes some sense. btw, how do you know it for a fact? do you have connections? :)
    i wish i had those helpful sort of people with me at the dealer for haggling, but thats not going to happen. it almost seems like a bizarre game of chicken, to see who will blink first.

all i figure is that dealers should be pretty desperate to unload their 2008s, since its the last two weeks in december 08 and 2010 models are on the horizon.
    btw, when i contacted wayne about the 19000 otd price, they actually said that 19000 was not possible for this model (this is with the moonroof/cd) and that open road was using shady tactics and that is why they cant match it. this makes me think that im getting pretty close to the bottom line.

that being said, i plan to go to open road mazda on saturday (the car w/o those options) and mention that at wayne mazda id be getting a moonroof and 6 cd changer for only 350 more. if they cant beat it, then off to wayne i go.

im paying cash cause i hate paying interest. i enjoy the conversation, its like we're all helping each other :)

btw, i also contacted crystal mazda, and they were pretty firm at their 09 price, near invoice. no 08 model was available for my configuration. i dont know if you tried them.
    Thanks for the feed, i just got back a few updated quotes from them acutally
    Crystal's quotes aren't competitive at all, and i'm all but given up on them.
    Open road EB said 2009 is $1000 above 2008, and they have no stock left. For either touring or GT. Open Road Morristown however, gave me a better quote on the 2009 model, with GT starting below 19000, this is with out any fees.

And Wayne starts at 19500 with out fees, so pretty much it's that 1700 spread between Touring and GT. Nothing really getting out of lines. but having seeing a quote dropping below 19000, i think i can get it done with my target price.

I don't have special connections, but my friends around me are saying they got their cars about 4k under msrp OTD with cash, so i should aim for 3k to 3.5k under msrp OTD. or maybe even more as we head in to the last 2 weeks of the year.

I'm prabably taking the 0% finance, since i think i have the credit for it. Just want to keep that extra cash for emergencies.
    Let me know how it goes on saturday, i'm sure to be the first one to congratulate you
  • ellaaellaa Member Posts: 6
    I bought 2008.5 Mazda3 HB S touring last month. I bought from Wayne Mazda and found them very straight forward to deal with. I got a pretty good internet quote from them, but was able to improve it after we met in person ...and after I left to shop at other dealers...2 days later they called and took my initial offer.

You may not feel like you are a good negotiator, but just remember some things.
    1) in this economy any dealership needs you more than than you need them. There is always another dealership to visit, another offer to consider.
    2) Before you get there decide what you believe is a fair price and what is the most you are willing to pay. Do not share this info, but stay true to your self. Also check the inventory tool at mazdausa.com before you visit so you know if they have many or one of what you want. Many gives you more power.
    3) You can always walk away and you should if the dealer/salesperson creeps you out, applies gross pressure, makes you uncomfortable, seems unscrupulous. If you walk away, no one will chase you out the door or throw things at you. They most likely will call you and be very polite in a couple days later. State your offer again over the phone and just see where it goes. Negotiation is really just a discussion after all.
    4) Make them an offer, it is a game of chicken, but what do you have to lose. They may say yes, they may say no, they may offer something in between. You are no worse off for trying.
  • cenbitcenbit Member Posts: 2
    As you mentioned as "my friends around me are saying they got their cars about 4k under msrp OTD with cash, so i should aim for 3k to 3.5k under msrp OTD"

Actually, I don't think you can get this price even current economic is bad for all dealership. :)
    sorry that you didnt have luck with open road EB. a 1000$ markup on the 09 seems a bit high. so they dont have either 08 or 09 for your model? i guess it just depends what they have on the lot. sounds like open road M is the right dealer. when are you planning to visit them or buy your car?

MSRP for my model (without destination or other fees) is 19,475, but i dont see buying the car OTD for 15,475. since the quotes i got were in the 19,000 range OTD, i think i can shave another 1000 from that.

as you know we had really bad weather here today, but i think i can make it to OR east brunswick in the early afternoon. i dont want to test drive in the snow/slush or darkness.
    thanks for the informative post.

i saw your previous post that you paid 18.5k for my configuration: 08 HB s Touring AT, no other options.
    i hope i can get better than that since its the end of the year.

i agree with point 1, but point 2 is hard since 'fair price' is so hard to determine. i know the dealer needs to make some profit to stay in business, but i also dont want to pay more that i have to.

as for point 3, youre saying walk away if they dont accept your offer? i hate playing mind games but i know that is the game you have to play. like you said in point 4, make the offer and keep cool.... i hope it works :D
  • ellaaellaa Member Posts: 6
    Fair price to me is what you believe is a fair price. Fair price may not be the lowest anyone ever paid, but rather a price that lets you feel as though you made a reasonable deal. You can second guess yourself and over analyse, but ultimately you need to decide on a number. In your post you want to do better than I did and think that should be possible since its year end. That seems like reasonable thinking, so how much lower is something you need to decide feels fair. They aren't going to give the car away, but you shouldn't pay more than you want to. Pick your number, remain with your number, walk if they don't like it. Try it at another dealer, walk if they don't like it. Wait for the calls, if none, re-assess whether your view of fair is unattainable, if it is, set a new fair price in your mind and repeat. Each dealership visit is a learning opportunity.

Good luck with your negotiation.
    Hi Guys:

I got an quote for 2008 Mazda 3 i touring value (Auto), at a price of 14950 plue sales tax and title etc. Is it a good deal?

I like blue, but they only have a 2009 available in blue. I was told I need to pay 1000 more.I read on the board that $500 should be the difference between 2008 and 2009.

Can someone shed some light, should I negotiate more for 2009?

thanks much.
  • oldfashionedoldfashioned Member Posts: 56
    what is the absolute most I can expect off of the msrp of an 08 and and 09 mazda 3