Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra vs. Big 3

swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I've been following the Dakota vs. Tundra topic
and the Toy people think that this truck is more
reliable, dependable, etc., etc., etc. I have my
doubts, however someone suggested that the toy
would be more comparable to one of the Big 3 (GM,
Ford, & Dodge). I personally don't think it's even
close, but would be willing to listen to the
argument...

Comments

• barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I've been following some of those topics and I can't believe some of these toyota owners,I betcha some of them even have american flags on there rear windows.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    The Tundra compares more with the Dakota. In the room you mentioned the interior dimensions are almost the same, V8 power/torque the same. Toyota tried, but failed once again to match what GM/Ford/Dodge have to offer. Do you realize how many engines Ford alone offers in their full size trucks, how about suspensions? cabs?
    Tundra sales have leveled off now that the hype is over also and the facts/figures are popping up on the internet about the Tundra. Expensive is one word to use. Strike two Toyota.
  • bg4dgbg4dg Member Posts: 44
    My Z71 was 3K more than the TRD Tundra. It also happens to be made in Indiana. There are plenty of Japanese parts like alternators and other electronics on your big 3. If Chevy buys my truck back (one of the vibrators) I'm probably going to get the Tundra. It drives better than any of them, but the new Fords are way better than before.
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    I shop around and after having a very bad experience with a new Ford Ranger - I was more than willing to shop around more than normal. I ended up with a new F-150. Personally, although I don't like to admit that styling matters with trucks - I just don't like the looks of the Tundra. There are so many things they could have done to make it appear more truck-like. And, then the interior width is compromised - to me that is quite important. We are not overweight people, but trucks should at least feel roomy. Then there is the rear seat - the F-150 is perfect, the Tundra falls short. And, then there is the price. Maybe I would have convinced myself into the Tundra - but, it costs more than the F-150? No thanks.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    I don't own a Toyota (never had) but I won't count them out in the future. Why not take a taste of all of the plate before deciding?
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Normally 3 against 1 is an unfair fight. But even though it's outnumbered I'll still side with the Tundra. Kind of like Bruce Lee(If the chinese Mafia hadn't killed him) vs. Chuck Norris, George Segal and John Claude Van Dam ;)
    I really can't see how you can compare the tundra to the big 3,its just an oversized Tacoma. Why don't we compare equally optioned trucks and compare then. Ford ,Chevy,Dodge make many different models while Toyota makes only a few.3 against 1 is a fair fight with me.I once was attacked by 3 Asians for looking at there girlfriend in a nightclub in Boston the first one came at me with a kick, I dodged picked up a frozen newspaper that was on the ground and hit him over the head with it.I punched the second one in the chest and knocked the wind out of him.The third ran and left the girl.My friends were in tears laughing and nicknamed me "The Force Of No One"
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Did you score with the girl?
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    I'm with you.

Don't get me wrong, I think toy has a good reputation, but the Tundra just isn't there yet. It cost too much for what you get. Costs are similar for the big 3 for more truck. It would compare with the Dakota, but it costs too much. Bring down the price and it will probably fair better. Doesn't suprise me sales have leveled off. I think there hope for this thing, but maybe the third time (T-100, Tundra, ???) will be the charm...
    trying to do 2 things at once...
    No that happened 10 years ago,I have since matured into the fine young man that I am.I think swobig is right if Toyota does it right maybe they will make a heavier duty truck in the next few years,There is a market for all kinds of pickup trucks in the US and I think the Tundra is overpriced for what you get compared to what the Big 3 offer for the same price and I'm not gonna fall for that reliability issue,I have always driven Fords and have never had any problems with them,I would consider a Tundra if I were in the market for a midsize truck if the price was a little lower and it was UAW made.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Your opinion is respected. However the Tundra critics are steadily being silenced as the Tundra proves it's competence. The 3 most trusted and influential magazines on the subject have given their first place finish to the Tundra (consumer reports, motor trend and 4WD&offroad). Thousands of extremely satisfied and happy owners (including many former big 3 owners). The Tundra is being put to heavy use, I've witnessed them pulling fifth wheels and hauling huge stacks of drywall, lumber, etc. The contractors that are building homes on base now have one outfitted with a lumber rack. I haven't spoken to them but I see it constantly "doing the haul", pulling their cement mixer and fully loaded 18 ft lumber trailer. The Tundra tow rating is nearly identical to the big three as is the cargo weight. I get the feeling that unless the Tundra is 12 inches bigger, 3000lbs heavier, has a v-12, tows thousands more and has a bed twice as big the Tundra haters will still try to say it's not comparable to the big 3.
  • eagleeye1eagleeye1 Member Posts: 36
    I read this string and wondered how many actually drove a Tundra. They are very quiet, powerful, smooth and very comfortable.

To set the record straight, the Tundra is 3 inches narrower than the Silverado and 10 inches shorter. 5 of those inches came from the back seat (which is the Tundra's main shortcoming). Weight wise, the Tundra is 200 pounds lighter than a comparably equiped Silverado....not a big deal. As far as the real life tests go, the Tundra either ties or wins in every catagory against comparably equiped Big 3 trucks. Whether it is 0-60, or towing a 5000 pound load or whatever, the Tundra wins (as long as the test is done fairly and they often aren't). Quality wise, just look at all the complaints about the new Silverado and you get the message loud and clear. The Ford F-150 is a good contender but still comes up short in many of the comparison tests, especially stopping from 60-0....some 27 feet longer than the Tundra! Price wise the Tundra is right in the game.

So please, get the facts straight before you go taking shots at one of the nicest trucks to come along in years.
    As much as I don't believe in knocking the Toyota, I have to wonder aloud why one would buy one when the F-150 is so "close" as a contender. If you share this opinion, as it seems many Tundra owners do, why then not buy a Ford? The Ford has many more options along with a larger after-market support following.
    This is a sincere question to Tundra owners and no sarcasm is intended. I'm just curious.
  • eagleeye1eagleeye1 Member Posts: 36
    I would choose the Tundra over the Ford because I trust Toyota long lasting quality....I am suspect of Ford's longevity. They are good but Tundra is better. I have had experience with both companies and I can tell you without hesitation that Toyota is a class company. Besides, if you aren't concerned about stopping 27 feet sooner on dry pavement with a Tundra vs. an F-150 then you must be a very young man that thinks he is invincable. 27 feet can mean the difference between life or death. Your point about aftermarket products is valid except that I don't generally buy after market products. I can go on and on but I made my point.
    Its all based on opinion. We don't know how the Tundra will really last. Just visit Edmunds posts right here, some are complaining about vibrations, electrical, transmissions. Also get on the net, get out of Edmunds and take a look around. The Tundra is not perfect. Some say I am a Toyota hater, Toyota basher. Not true, I have never said Toyota builds bad quality vehicles, if I did I would deserve to be laughed out of Edmunds. Fact is they do have problems, they are out there. And as far as facts, what facts do you have the Tundra is more reliabile than the F150, or Silverado?
    The size/dimensions are closer to the Dakota. Right along with the V8 HP/Torque numbers. Toyota missed its mark against Ford/Dodge/GM. Price also comes up quite often here and at other sites I visit on the internet. Fact is GM/Ford/Dodge can produce more trucks at lower cost and pass that on to the consumer. Mass production what a concept.
  • 5pots5pots Member Posts: 9
    Toyota made a landcruiser long wheel base flat deck pickup for Australia and New Zealand from early 1970s to mid 1980s possibly longer. It performs similar role to the old Dodge power wagon use to here is mainly a diesal. So yes they do have the experiance. Also Nissan has produce a mid size pickup (nissan patrol) in "well side" and flatbed form for Australia and New Zealand sice early 1970s.

So although you may have not seem them here both manufacturers have been in the mid size pick up market for a long time. However these pickups are not used for fifth wheel applications in Aussi or kiwi land (New Zealand) and mainly used for carting in excess of ton payloads by farmers and mineing companies. Have seen Landcruiser pickups in tandem rear axle form for even higher payloads. They have proven to be tough trucks, they are not pretty like a Tundra.
  • 5pots5pots Member Posts: 9
    I wonder to if there is 3 classes or 4 classes classes of pickups, mini, mid(Tundra) full(F150),and industrial(F250 and up).
    a midsize compared with Dakota. I don't think is has the option (suspension, power, etc.) to compete with the big boys, but fairs well against the Dakota. The Dakota will probably out pull a Ram if they both have the same engine/tran. because the Dakota is lighter, but that doesn't mean it will stand up to heavier duty use. I think the Tundra is a fine handiman truck, but for heavy duty use it just doesn't seem like a good alternative. Most of my trucks have been 3/4 (have 1) and 1 tons (have 2), Tundra couldn't fill that role. But I was looking for a 1/2 ton for personal use and looked at a Tundra, but just couldn't see spending that much when a F-150/Silverado is roughly the same price...
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Like Blue said.....they just don't last...like any other import.
    It's a known fact...Foreign cars are made to last about 10 years...and then they die. Some have good stories of lasting....but most do not.
    You will never see one on a farm or in any true work application.
    Eagleye,
    You claim it's only 200 lbs lighter and a few inches shorter...and is almost equal in every catagory to a Silverado?....I don't know what you have been smoking....but I sure would like some!
    I just don't understand how a Tundra owner can stand to have to keep opening the latch on the firewall inside and tossing more rice into the fire every few miles??....that's gotta be annoying!

Get real...it's a T100/Tacoma!!!

- Tim
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Before I say anything lets get a few things straight.

Tundra drivers hate me.

They think I bash Tundra all the time, so in the Tundra v Dakota topic I challenged them to prove me wrong on anything I said (4 times so far and counting). You know I've heard nothing.

Anyway, my point. On Friday a Tundra owner said in the Tundra v Dakota topic that the two trucks were in different classes because of the size. If this argument is true, which I question, how can the same truck be in the same class as the full size trucks - it makes no sense. The largest disparity between Dakota and Tundra is in width - around 8 inches to Tundra, though that doesn't translate internally, length is only about 2 - 3 inches. Silverado is around 10 inches longer than Tundra.
    Roc,
    Besides my excellent experience with Toyota products, I bought the Tundra over the Ford because it was not a truck that you see in every driveway. In my part of the country, every other(figure of speech) full-size truck is a Ford 150. They are everywhere(my company even has one). I'd bet 75% of my subs drive Fords. The reverse logic is true as well. I didn't buy my wife a Camry because EVERYBODY has one. I had to go with another ferrin'(gotta have a reliable one for her , too!!) car make for her.

If I had to buy a truck on looks alone, I'd have bought a superduty Ford. Not because they tow more or last longer(and I'm not saying they do!!), purely because of LOOKS.

Tim & Rublue(Quad????),
    While hunting this year in the middle of boonies, I saw the first Thunder Gray Tundra(other than mine/or a dealer's). It was being driven by a farmer. He farms cotton, peanuts, corn, soybeans, and tobacco(about 7000 acres). He had over 20,000 miles on his truck in OCTOBER. There is at least one truck being put to work. And Tim, if my truck lasts 10 years, I'll be totally happy. I'll be on my second or third Tundra by then! Go put on a disguise and test drive one. You'll secretly love it.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    Give me a break. GM is pure junk, Dodge is next and probably Ford is the best of the Big 3. Who care if you don't see Toyotas on a farm. Most of us don't live on a farm. Why do you people continue to bring up farm trucks. If you are farmers then buy the vehicle that works best for that purpose. And Rube, stop stereotyping Tundra owners as either a gal or a yuppie. Comments like that make you look more like a loser every time.
    So what if the Tundra is a Tacoma or T-100, if that fits the bill for Tundra owners then fine. You Chevy guys need a life.
    (and all big 3) have a life.

It's time to take the training wheels off Toyota owners....and step up to the big three.

Are we farmers?...no....Farm is always mentioned due to it's one of the untimate tests for a truck. Must be solid and very reliable. 100,000 miles on a farm truck is like 500,000 miles for the average joe.

TP,

I don't think I could drive a tundra being 6'3!

Besides....no disguise would hide the disgust of me and an Import!

LOL

- Tim
    I have no trouble driving my Tundra. I'm 6'4. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    yeah...that's it.

whew....Now I can't test drive one...

(what a scary though)

TP....when you are ready for the training wheels to come off.....let us know

hehehe

- Tim
    Make that scary Thought!
    I just can't quite understand this Tundra. Why would a company build a small truck (tacoma) and a mid-sized (tundra). Yeah, it's got a V8, but so does the Dakota. Reliablity you toy people talk about is a weak point. I'm sure there are many more Ford, GM, Dodge people that can attest to there reliability than Toyota will have. I just can't understand why you would pay Silverado/F-150 money for Dakota capabilities...
    I haven't seen any tests results as far as safety ratings crash testing on the tundra.I did see a show on dateline where the Tacoma got 1 star 1 being the worse while the ranger got 5, does that justify the $4000 differance between those 2 trucks. Where would your logic be there? I did finally get to see a tundra up close there was one in a parking lot.It didn't seem that high off the ground I have to step on my rear tire or bumper to get something out of my bed,but with the tundra it looked like I could just reach over the side it was a 4x4 V8 SR5,also only noticed 2 leaf springs while my truck has 4 and there was a Z71 that also had 4 I don't think the tundra's payload is as high as the big 3.
    I'm having the Tundra pictures scanned this evening. I'll be sending them to you shortly(I assume your e-mail is correct). Maybe you can use one as a screen saver. By the way, I took the training wheels off long enough to snap the photos. I stopped shooting when the sucker starting to lean.
    started to lean.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Someone mentioned that the Tundra came out on top when "fair" tests were used to compare. Everything I've seen has the Tundra with a 3.9? rearend, being compared to 3.55's in the Chevy and Ford's.
    That one commercial Toyota has with the Tundra passing another truck while towing a sailboat, has them spouting off about the Tundra will out tow any other full-size truck. Try reading the small print on that commercial. That tells the whole story.
    TP,

what are you trying to do??.....ruin the moniter??

...would those pics be considered a Virus?

...."I just can't understand why you would pay Silverado/F-150 money for Dakota capabilities..."

Now THAT says it all SWO!

- Tim
    Ford just released its Sport Trac. This is going to take another bite out of Tundra sales. It has a 204hp/240ft/lbs of torque single overhead cam V6 available. Rumors I have read the V8 is right around the corner. The initial Tundra sales were from Tacoma owners wanting somthing a little larger. No sales are flat, they are still selling them, but not at the initial pace.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    nearly to death. I personally think it's great that we now have 5 sizes of trucks to choose from:
    compact, mid-size, large mid-size, full size, and SuperDuty. What a great country!
    Let's just stop the arguing and all agree to consider the Toyota a large-mid-size truck that has the ability to handle loads normally reserved for half-tons. I still wouldn't want one because of the looks and the bad gas mileage (relative to
    full-sized GM's and Fords) and I prefer the bigger truck, but that's just me. I also wouldn't want a compact or a Dakota.
    -powerisfun
    hate to disagree with you, but I consider the Tundra in the same class as the Dakota. Pretty fair comparison. I also agree with Vince8, SportTrac may take some sales away along with that new GM (Avalanch??). Probably see many more of these types of trucks. My favorite is that SSR...
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I bet all of you cannot wait for the Sequoia to come out, then it will be the big 3 against it. By the way i live on a farm.
    What the hell is Sequoia? my tenant is american indian and she doesn't even know what it means.
    Sequoia is the common name for a group of huge evergreen trees of the cypress family, characterized by a columnar, reddish-brown trunk rising 30 m (100 ft) or more above a buttressed base, with needlelike leaves, and small, oval cones. Not, however, to be confused with Sequoya (1770?-1843), Native American leader and inventor of the Cherokee alphabet. He was also known by his English name, George Guess.

Everyone ought to love this one.
    I'm glad that Toy has entered the contest. Along with the redesign of Dodge in 94, it has made all step up with their own products.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I agree, competition breeds strength. Brand loyalty (or just domestic loyalty) breeds laziness
    and crappy workmanship.
    -powerisfun
    Yeah, us Americans are just all fat and lazy huh?
    That is why people from all over the world come here to get educated, make money and want to stay.
    Yep, we Americans can't build anything, we didn't build the world Trade Centers, the Japanese did right? We didn't build the Space Shuttle, the Japanese did right? We didn't invent the Transistor, the Japanese did right? We didn't invent the telephone, the Japanese did right? We didn't invent the assembly line, the Japanese did right? Come on, get over the inferiority complex. I work for a Japanese company, I enjoy it. But these people are just like anyone else, they make mistakes believe me, I have to clean up after them, rebuild the equipment, and make it work. Diversity is what makes America strong. We get ideas and ideals from every culture on earth. Why is Japan still in a recession and can't pull itself out? Why are their prices so high for such a complicated highley modern society? We live in the best country in the world, have so much to CHOOSE from.
    Why is someone branded a patriot when they like a Ford/GM/Dodge product? What is wrong with it? I happen to feel Ford is doing a great job.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    To tell the uninformed, the sequoia is the 2001 8 passenger SUV based off the Tundra. Its around the size of an Expedition. You can see it at http://auto.com/index/2000autoshow.htm . Go to this website and then click on Toyota Sequoia.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    For the last 5 years or so I've been trying to get a Sequoia seed to germinate in the LA area. No luck yet. I'm going to try again this spring.:-)

The NAIAS is saying that the Toyota Sequoia is between the 4 Runner and Land Cruiser and Expedition in class. I've never compared, but I didn't think that the Land Cruiser was larger than an Expedition. Are they really that big?

I went through the Toyota exhibit at NAIAS but I didn't see the Sequoia. Did I miss it or was it only shown at the LA show?

Rich
    .....Is that Like Sasquatch??

- Tim
    it's like Sacajawea.
    ,but it's entering a crowded market. Is this a replacement for the Land Cruiser or 4runner???
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Actually you didn't invent the telephone.

The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876, when he was 29 years old. He was born in Scotland in 1847 and lived there, and then in England until his family moved to Ontario in 1870. He first visited the US in 1871 (Boston) and then spent his time spread between Boston, where he worked, and Ontario, where his parents still lived.

The telephone was (partly) invented in the US, but not by an American.
    Sequoia:
    I hope to get my wife one next year(it's that or a DREADED minivan). Gotta build and sell a few more houses first, however.

Now, about that farm.....any deer on it that need to be removed? Let me know.
    There is no replacement for a Land Cruiser!!
This discussion has been closed.