Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Ok so I went to one of the mazda dealerships today I have been dealing with. I was looking for a 2009 Grand Touring HB in Metro Grey and they had one there. The guy showed me that invoice on that car was $22,740. Options include: carpet floor mats, compass auto mirror, rear bumper guard, moonroof/bose package, and some other small things. He was willing to give me $5500 for my 2001 Honda CRV (trade in) and I would have to finance $17240. Now the deal is 0% financing for 3 years which (after tax) came to $508 a month for 3 years. Is this a good deal or am I being robbed here? Any input would help. Thanks.
  • gamberjgamberj Member Posts: 3
    Mazda is now offering $1500 rebate if you don't need to finance. Our deal was $1500 off invoice less $200 for touring hatchback.
  • bigrollobigrollo Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new 2008 Mazda3 Silver Grand Touring 5-speed manual with moonroof/6-disk changer/Bose for $18,500 + TTL at Roger Beasley Mazda in Austin, TX this afternoon. Negotiated down from $23,095 sticker - $2000 Mazda cash back - $500 customer loyalty. Is this a pretty good deal? I don't see how it can't be with nearly $4600 from sticker (though there were about $500 in BS options like pinstriping, etc.). I love the leather seats and Bose.
  • ecoganecogan Member Posts: 26
    I just bought and picked up (1/24/09) a 2009 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatchback. Love the car, and the ride. Also feel like I got good deal ($21,500, with moonroof/CD Bose package). However, as I am driving it home , the tire sensor light went on, and it was checked by the dealer. (Returned twice in the same day.) They said that temperature changes may have something to do with it. The light goes on and off, without any rhyme or reason. I've checked the tires' pressure and all 4 are at spec level. Returning the car for service first thing tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this? Thank you. :(
    Big - sounds like a great deal. I just paid $21,500 for the same exact car, with auto transmission. Nice job!
    Ylz - trade-ins are usually a bad deal for the consumer. However, selling the car privately can be a hassle, and dealers do have to rehab cars or send them to auction, so they can make a profile on the trade. However, Hondas usually keep their value pretty well, so your trade in # may not be too shabby. Good luck!
  • camikazicamikazi Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2009 Mazda3 S touring 4-door Auto in the Bay Area for
    $16,250 then add on $670 dest and TTL with OTD price around $18,500.
  • ecnelovecnelov Member Posts: 10
    ecogan -

Your $21,500 was for a HB Grand Touring Auto with Moonroof/6CD? I'm assuming that's OTD?

I'm currently shopping around for a HB Touring with Moonroof and I got an offer of $19,400 + TTL, which in PA comes out to $20,700...

With the prices I see on here I feel like I am getting ripped off by about $1000.

What does anyone think?
    ECNLOV - The $21,500 did not include tax or tags. It was an auto transm, though. It sounds to me like you are getting a very good deal. I get the sense some of these prices are a bit deflated (perhaps some boasting about "negotiating ability".) I negotiated for a full week with 5 different dealers, and $21,500 was the best I could do. I do get an extended powertrain warranty (in addition to the 36K / 36 mo) for 8 yrs or 100K miles.

Don't drive yourself nuts~ $19,400 + TTL seems good to me.

Good luck!

PS - by the way, have you tried Pacifico or Sussman in Phila area? I went with my local (South Jersey) dealer for convenience, and fact they matched my lowest quote, gave me 1.9% for 60 mnths, plus the extended warranty.
  • bigrollobigrollo Member Posts: 3
    Not "boasting" at all... actually, I kind of felt like I could possibly have done better since the '10 redesign is coming out soon (outgoing models take a big depreciation hit at that point). But I guess it seems like the perfect time to buy with the $2,000 cash back (and if you own another Mazda, $500 customer loyalty). If you can still get the '08 with options you like, it is the time to act. I keep my vehicles for about 10 years, so resale is not much of an issue for me. Just trying to be helpful!
    Big - not suggesting you were boasting at all. As an aside, I wish I had waited a couple of months to get the 2009 since the 2010s are coming soon, A bit of impulse buying, but my wife loved the car, and I secretly bought it for her as a graduation present. I also think I paid a few extra dollars to have the convenience of servicing the car nearby. All in all, I am very happy with the car, just a bit ticked off by the way the ever-so-friendly salesmen scurried away when I brought the car back the same day that I bought it, for the second time, when the tire pressure sensor light kept on going on. Enough said... Zoom Zoom... I guess time will tell.
    Well it's good to hear some outside opinions about the offer I was given. I did contact some of the other dealers in the area to see if they could get it down any lower. We'll see today.

Regarding waiting for the 2010's to get a 2009 - I was talking with the sales manager about them and they know that the majority of folks out there like the look of the current generation better. Not to mention that the 2010's will be more expensive (I don't know by how much). So, I don't think waiting for the 2010's will benefit anyone more than the cash back they are offering now.
    ecogan -

How much was your extended warranty? I commute from Reading, PA to Ambler (just north of Philly) so I'll be putting about 100 miles a day on the car. That'll burn through the standard warranty pretty quickly.
  • salem66salem66 Member Posts: 10
    "I'm currently shopping around for a HB Touring with Moonroof and I got an offer of $19,400 + TTL, which in PA comes out to $20,700... "

Ecnelov -

You don't say whether or not you plan to use their 0% financing. You also don't mention 5spd or auto. If you use their financing, that usually adds about $1000 to the price. If you want an auto, add in for that (not sure of the cost).

I got out the door (no financing) w/ a manual HB Touring w/Moonroof and $400 in other options for $18.8. You're looking at 2K more than that. Assuming auto, that still has you way over 1K. Subtract for their financing and I'd bet they are still $400 to $500 too high.

Good luck!
    salem - yes, auto.

And I am using their conventional financing with comes along with $1500 cash back. In the end I will be adding $400-500 in options, so I'm imagining my OTD price around $21k.
    The extended (power train) warranty of 100K or 8 years was free. Bought at Maple Shade Mazda (NJ), but the hook is that all servicing must be done there. Probably too far for you... Other dealers may have similar deals, though. Good luck.
    That's a pretty good deal if I can get it out of my local dealership. Thanks for the help. I'll be getting the car tonight so I'll let you know how it goes.
    Good luck. And, be careful about any add-ons they will try to sell you. You can do much better outside of the dealership. These are things such as "VIN etching"; tire protection; GAP insurance (you can probably do better with your own auto insurer); rust protection, etc. Also, see if they have a special program for loyal customers, such as free oil changes (every 7,500 miles or 6 months) for the life of the car. Dealers are pretty desperate right now (even Mazda...) and will be competing against other car manufacturers that are rolling out pretty good deals in February. Take care, and good luck.
  • j70j70 Member Posts: 6
    if you don't mind sharing kle1, which specific dealer did you get this in? I'm looking to head out this weekend to buy one if the deal's worth the taking.
    So I was able to negotiate them down to $18,500 + tax and tag on a 2009 Copper Red, Black interior, Auto S Touring HB with moonroof. I'm having them install the remote starter, auto-dimming mirror w/ compass, bumper step guards, all-weather floor mats, and cargo tray. The accessories w/ install comes to just under an additional $1000, which is a little more than MSRP because they weren't factory installed.

They had to ship the car in from another dealer to get a Copper Red w/ black interior for me, so after agreeing to the terms Monday night, I have to wait until Thursday or Friday for them to get it and install my options. We haven't agreed to a loan % yet, but I have been pre-approved for a 60 mo. loan at 4.89% by Bank of America, so the only thing they can do is beat it.

Total price with Options, tax, and tag will come to about $20,700

For anyone in PA, the dealership is Tom Masano in Reading and they have been very nice and not pushy at all. I'd highly recommend them.
  • ryno3ssryno3ss Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2008.5 Mazda3 HB S Touring in the crystal white pearl mica color with black interior. It is an automatic with no options other than the pearl paint charge of $200. I negotiated via internet down to $16,200 + TTL. Being from southern California that came out to about $17,700 OTD. I feel like I got a good deal. I love the car but my CEL came on the second day. I still need to take it in. So what do you guys think?
  • kle1kle1 Member Posts: 8
    Quote came from Browning Mazda of Cerritos.

Also got another quote from Fremont Mazda for S GT with navi and bose/moonroof for 20.5k, haven't inquired about financing.

Hayward of Mazda also just came back with a quote for 15,999 if I bring my own financing on an S Sport, Metro Grey. But don't know how reliable these guys are, took forever for them to send me a quote.

Browning and Fremont Mazda have been the most straight forward.

All these are 5 speed Manuals.

Hope that helps.
    EC - congratulations! You should be able to get Mazda to give you 1.9% for 60 months. Don't let them tell you that it is contingent on credit rating. If you bought before Jan. 31st, which you did, you should be able to get this rate. Enjoy the car! You will love it. We do.
    kle - go with your gut. If you get a bad feeling from sales, it will follow you into service. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info. I second the shady feeling from Hayward Mazda.
  • tmorr42tmorr42 Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased(Jan26th) an 09 i touring value, Copper red, auto, moonroof pkg (including 6cd stereo), all weather floor mats & rear lip spoiler for $18,100. The MSRP was $19,680. Edmunds MSRP was $19,680, INV $18300 and TMV was19,200, other sites had similar prices. The price I received was $200 under invoice. I don't get it, sounds to good. Any idea's? Oh yea, In addition to the price I received, I also got the $500 cash back and 1.9% financing. Total price paid was $17,600 + tax & tags. Is that a good deal? Very confused. Sounds too good to be true. Please help me figure this out.

Tommy
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    No confusion. That model usually sells for 2500-3000 off msrp. 17600 and 1.9% probably puts you around 3000+ off. (if your credit is good) Confirm it over the phone, get all dealership fees included, and that is a average deal. No great shakes with auto sales tanking

Good luck
    --jjf

Just purchased(Jan26th) an 09 i touring value, Copper red, auto, moonroof pkg (including 6cd stereo), all weather floor mats & rear lip spoiler for $18,100. The MSRP was $19,680. Edmunds MSRP was $19,680, INV $18300 and TMV was19,200, other sites had similar prices. The price I received was $200 under invoice. I don't get it, sounds to good. Any idea's? Oh yea, In addition to the price I received, I also got the $500 cash back and 1.9% financing. Total price paid was $17,600 + tax & tags. Is that a good deal? Very confused. Sounds too good to be true. Please help me figure this out.

Tommy
    Thanks. Unfortunately the 1.9% is not considered "conventional financing" so my $1500 cash incentive would be only $500 with that rate. However, taking the $1500 upfront and using my 4.89% is actually cheaper in the long run, not to mention it could be a lot cheaper with pre-payments.

I had a competing dealer actually congratulate me on the "fantastic price" I got, so I don't think I could have done any better. I asked around at other dealers about the $970 or so they are charging me for options install and it seemed on par.

Anyone out there looking to get a remote starter installed, parts and labor should be $450-475. The auto-dimming mirror with compass parts and labor should be $325-350.
  • tmorr42tmorr42 Member Posts: 10
    Thans for the reply. So the deal is average, not as good as it sounded, but not bad? How come edmunds tmv was $19,200 when the actual price is $17,600? This is what confused me.
  • mcwongmcwong Member Posts: 3
    Forget to say that it comes with 17" alloy wheels. This was purchased in Oakland CA.
    TMV is some number of unknown origin. Many people have left thousands on the table going by it. So-called 'warm-fuzzy" numbers representing the "true value' computed by a cray supercomputer at lawerence livermore or whatnot should be taken relatively lightly. Don't know how they come up with it, and if it is representative of "what others are paying" (in you zip code even) one must remember most people are not good at buying cars.

A remote start on a mazda3 from the dealer should be a $250 item included with the total price negotiated over the phone. It is a worthwhile addition. If the car is already purchased a survey of 6 or so dealers service departments last week of the month may produce a low bidder.

Good luck
    --jjf

Thans for the reply. So the deal is average, not as good as it sounded, but not bad? How come edmunds tmv was $19,200 when the actual price is $17,600? This is what confused me.
    that's interesting. Which salesperson did you get? I'm looking for one similar to yours and 17k OTD sounds pretty darn good.
    Since an 08 model like yours has a used trade in value of almost $15000 with avg miles (kbb.com), 4700 off msrp ($16200) isn't too shabby. Perhaps being a bit coy about the economy and really really wanting it for 5600 off may produce a compromise last few days of the month. (the $250 remote start installed is worth it, as is the day night mirror and all season mats (about $300))

Good luck
    --jjf

purchased a new 2008.5 Mazda3 HB S Touring in the crystal white pearl mica color with black interior. It is an automatic with no options other than the pearl paint charge of $200. I negotiated via internet down to $16,200 + TTL. Being from southern California that came out to about $17,700 OTD. I feel like I got a good deal. I love the car but my CEL came on the second day. I still need to take it in. So what do you guys think?
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Hello all. I bought the Mazda 3 GT Hatch on Tues and got a chance to see how it peformed over the first week. As far as the visuals go, I love the cool looking interior and the aggressive style of the exterior. All the controls are well placed and it really is a well thought out car. But as far as the way it drives, I'm a little disappointed. I drove to NYC last night and along the way, the roads get bumpy with cracks in the road everywhere. And I felt almost EVERY pothole, every crack, etc... I mean I know it's a stiff suspension which I like. But I didn't realize I would feel every little thing on the road, thought it was more smooth than that. Someone that has owned this car for a while tell me: Does this car really ride like this? Or is it just because it's the first week of me driving and I don't even have 200 miles on it yet? I mean do I need to just break it in and it will smooth out a little? Or is there something wrong with my car which I would have to bring it to the dealership? Any thoughts on this would help. Thanks.
    ylz - congrats on our purchase. We've had ours for 1 week. The suspension is stiff, but if you really think the ride is overly bumpy (more than you would expect for the type of road you were on) I'd take it back and have them look at it. If the road you were on was truly bumpy with potholes, etc., I wouldn't be too worried. However, if you get the same feel in average road conditions, maybe there is something wrong with the car.

Our experience the first week has been disappointed, but for a different reason. We've had the car back to Service FIVE times in six days because the tire pressure sensor light keeps on coming on. They are on their 3rd fix. I am close to making a lemon law claim, and looking to get out of the car. We like the car in general, but this is frustrating.

Good luck.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Service FIVE times in six days because the tire pressure sensor light keeps on coming on

Do you live in a cold climate?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I've been reading some of your posts jfritsch and what you really don't seem to understand is you can't even realistically get $4000 off a $20,000 car. It simply is not possible. Dealer invoice is roughly the price the dealer paid to the manufacturer usually $2 grand off sticker. The dealer may also get a dealer incentive and will definitely get dealer holdback. These two on a $20,000 car may be less than $1,000. My point is, if Kelley Blue Book is showing a trade in value of $14K and you think for a second that you are going to buy a brand new $20,000 car for $14K you are dumb. The dealer has to make this little thing called PROFIT. They can't sell you a car at less than they bought it for and expect to remain in business.
    Yes, I do live in cold climate, but even Mazda says it should not be happening, especially after the four tire sensors were replaced (3 days after being purchased)>
    No - the car is driveable, but this should not be happening with a new car. Again, I like the car, and of course do not blame the dealership for the glitch, but if you shell out a lot of money for a car, you would expect it to operate as it should, especially with less than 200 miles.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's very possible to get more than $4000 off a $20,000 new car, especially in this terrible market for new cars. I see examples of $4000+ off a ~$20k car all the time in the Prices Paid discussions here and even in my local paper. Just yesterday I saw a closeout deal on a $20,000 small SUV for $12,995. Today I saw over $6000 off a $21k 2009 Fusion. There are reports in the Mazda6 Prices Paid discussion of buyers getting $1000 below invoice, before rebates, on the all-new 2009 Mazda6. And the 2009 Mazda3 is on the last legs of that design, so dealers should be incented to move 'em out before the all-new 2010s come out.

Keep in mind that in addition to markup over invoice, dealer holdback, and published incentives, there are often unpublished incentives from the manufacturer to dealers. Some of these are based on sales volume, so with some timing (and luck), you can get a great deal on a car near the end of a month because the dealer needs that sale to reach an incentive plateau.

Will everyone get $4000 off of a $20k car? No. Some buyers don't like negotiating or aren't good at it, some think 10% off or "invoice price" is a good deal, and some will shop only at dealers who aren't willing to go that low. Then there are those few cars that are in short supply vs. demand, and command premium prices. The 2009 Mazda3 isn't one of those.
    Keep it real folks, A 2000-3000 off msrp deal was hardly anything 24 months ago much less now. We're looking at 6000-7000+ off msrp to get realistic. Anything less is hardly giving the car away. Do you want to eat $5000 or more to drive a average sedan for 12 months? In a recession?

Good luck
    --jjf

A 08 mazda 6 (22000msrp) with average miles has a used trade in value of $12000 (kbb.com)

A used 08 Hyundai Sonata (20000msrp) has a trade in of $11500

A 08 Chevrolet Impala (24000 msrp) has a trade in value of $10500

A 08 22000 msrp Ford Fusion (Relative of the new style 09 Mazda 6?) has a trade in of $12000

A 22000 08 Saturn Aura has a trade in value of $12000

A 22000 Pontiac G6 sedan has a trade in value of $11000.

A used 20000 08 mazda3 hatch has a trade in value of 15000 making it the valedictorian of the group. Grabbing an new 09 in the high 16's or new 08 in the 15's would be super if they are serious about clearing them out. The M3 has been the best in this purchase price/trade-in regard for years
  • commofficercommofficer Member Posts: 50
    I just bought a Mazda 3 Hatchback in Copper red mica, 5-speed, plus no other options. My price with some $198 fee was $17,750 plus or minus a couple of bucks(includes a $500 Chase finance reduction). The dealer really wouldn't come down more than that. They gave me the S-Plan pricing even though it is no longer valid which is basically equivalent to the invoice. What makes the deal though is the 5 year/1.9% interest rate. It really makes the car much cheaper than say a Honda Fit Sport at 5% interest rate. The only reason I compare it to the Fit is because my 2008 was totaled 2 weeks ago and we bought the Mazda to replace it. The Mazda is a much nicer car and "more" of a car than the Fit Sport. We also looked at the Saturn Astra but it seemed awkward when I tested it out.
    I live in Oklahoma City where we only have 2 Mazda dealers which limits our choices but I do like the dealer and feel the deal was fair.
    BTW-I've owned a Mazda Protege before and put 211,000 miles on it before selling it. That was a GREAT car and I hope this one is just as good. Everyone loves the color and wheels. The 5-speed is the only way to go if you have good knees.
    I was referring to negotiated sale price. Obviously if there is a rebate applied it is very reasonable to be at or over $4,000 off.

My point was only regarding negotiated sale price. I did in fact mention manufacturer to dealer incentives. Those and the holdback on a $20,000 MSRP car are usually $1000 or less. If invoice is $2,000 off sticker (roughly) and there are $1,000 in holdback and dealer incentives you are only at $3,000. Add a rebate in and you are likely at $4,000 off. But as I said, you have to give the dealer some profit. He isn't going to sell you a car for free. It's a business, it ain't UNICEF.

jfritsch seems to think you should somehow correlate a one year old 2008 model's Kelley Blue Book trade in value with what a brand new 2009 model car should sell for. It ain't happening. HE ALSO SEEMS TO THINK YOU CAN GET A NEW 2009$20,000 CAR FOR $7-$8K OFF STICKER. I'm not seeing that either.

You (backy) are giving examples of a 2008 closeout KIA with an MSRP of $20K selling for just under $13K. Duh, the car is 18 months old. A 2008 is not a new car if it has been depreciating on the lot for a year and a half. So yes, I would hope that even the worst car negotiator in the world would still be able to get a 2008 ANYTHING for over $4,000 off. Unfortunately the conversation was about new 2009's. Show me a new 2009 $20,000 car without a huge rebate that is selling for over $4.000 off sticker.
    For the benefit of the other posters in this forum who think you can get $7,000 or $8,000 off sticker price of a Mazda3, what was the MSRP on your deal? I'm guessing you got maybe $2,000 to $3,000 off the sticker like 99.99% of everyone else has.
  • mcwongmcwong Member Posts: 3
    Ask for Simon
    $7-8k is ridiculous... I thought I got a great deal at $3k off MSRP.

OTD price is almost exactly what Edmunds lists as the invoice price.

Even a new '08.5 is only gonna go for another $1-1.5k less... still well clear of commofficer's dream. Maybe he is looking at the MSRP for a Grand Touring HB and buying an iSport sedan - now that would make sense.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Show me a new 2009 $20,000 car without a huge rebate that is selling for over $4.000 off sticker.

I already did that... for example, the 2009 Fusion I mentioned doesn't have a "huge" rebate but was advertised for about $6000 off its $21k list. There are other examples, but this is straying off topic and it's not productive to post the same info twice.
  • nhbankernhbanker Member Posts: 21
    I am in NH and in the market for an '09 Mazda 3i Touring automatic with Roof/6 CD package options. I will finance a small portion of the deal (50%). What do you think is my best discount I can expect off MSRP?
  • salem66salem66 Member Posts: 10
    I, too, am a bit skeptical at someone getting even 5K off sticker on a 2009 Mazda 3. That said, there might be more wiggle room on the higher-priced GT or MS3, but who knows?

Here was the deal for us. We wanted either a Touring or Grand Touring HB with a 5-speed and sunroof. We found them to be rather thin on the ground within a convenient drive time (our local dealer had ONE), so it's not like tons of offers were at our fingertips. We eventually got the Touring for $3600 off sticker (our own financing) with minimal dickering. I initially thought it was a great deal, but, after reviewing the other experiences out here, it appears to be bog standard.

But, hey, the salesman was nice and we didn't have to get a car shipped from Lord knows where, sight unseen.

Are some people getting my same car for 5K under? I haven't seen one. I could've held out for another month, and maybe squeezed a bit more out of them, but what if the car I wanted could no longer be found? It's a balance ... how long are you willing to gamble?

I think fritsch (sp) is right about one thing. That TMV was WAY off. I like this site a lot, but that particular piece of information was dangerously misleading ... at least for the 3.