Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    My local dealer is advertising a 2009 Ford Fusion MSRP $21,360 selling for $7,366 off sticker. But this only further proves my point as there are $4,000 worth of rebates. In case you can't figure that out, it means selling price is $3,366 off sticker. So, again, over $4K off sticker of a $20,000 car is nearly impossible without HUGE rebates. Plural on the rebates.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You are talking about a different ad than what I saw. The total discount was about $6500, and there was only a $2000 rebate, plus $500 in FMC cash for qualified buyers. I confirmed that with the Ford web site--those are the only rebates available on the 2009 Fusion right now. So not sure where the $4000 in rebates in the ad you saw came from.

Anyway, $6500 - $2500 = $4000. (Hey, I can subtract two numbers! My math major from way back in college is actually good for something! Yay!! :D )

But thanks for showing us that you can get $7000 or more off a $20k car, depending on the rebates/discounts. I've seen that level of discount on the previous-gen Mazda6i, but not yet on the Mazda3. More like $4000 off including rebates on that car, as an exceptional deal. Part of that may be less markup on the 3, also lower rebates and generally a more popular car than the 6 with firmer pricing.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Nobody's claiming 6000-7000 off msrp for a mazda 3. The examples I gave were for Impala, Sonata, M6 etc. I specifically said getting a 09 20000 m3 hatch for the 16's would be good. It has been the best at holding its value from (most)purchase prices for years. If you can scam a 20000 09 hatch while things are slow and the new models are coming out for the 15's ($4500 off) that would be exceptional. Its a great car.

Getting 3000-4000 off msrp (from all sources) a 09 $22000 msrp vehicle that will have a trade-in of $12000 in 12 months is no great shakes. Your looking for 6000+ off, if not more now in a recession.

What the discounts from msrp come from , advertised rebates, hidden dealer incentives, advertised dealer incentives, military discount, draft dodger discount ,favorable financing , etc is irrelevant, except for a bit of tax in most states. Ya want 7000+ off a 09 22000msrp car that will be worth $12000 (an 08 used) in a year. Until you get past that you are in "nothing to write home about" territory. If you need a car quick, fine, but don't kill yourself to jump on a mediocre deal if you're shopping.

I have no idea why the snoopy, stoopy, guy is making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • salem66salem66 Member Posts: 10
    I think your comment about "nothing to write home about", while abrupt, explains the situation pretty well. Everyone here starts out not wanting to get screwed, but many morph the objective into a quest for bragging rights. Occasionally, we need to be brought back to earth.

But what is a mediocre deal? The deal just about everyone else is getting? What we see out here is only a fraction of what really goes down. Who knows where we really fit on the "fair deal" spectrum? TMV certainly isn't telling us.

We had to jump relatively quickly, because the '10 body style does not impress us and we didn't want an '09 with our desired options (or lack thereof) to be unavailable at a later time. I also didn't fret over what it would be worth in a year, as I tend to keep cars 8+ years or more.
  • ecoganecogan Member Posts: 26
    ... down boys... ;)
  • bigrollobigrollo Member Posts: 3
    I am NOT feeling the new look of the 2010 M3... the styling is kinda funky (and not the good kind). Makes me glad to have picked up an '08 at a good discount.
    I agree with Big. I took a look at it at the Philadelphia Auto show, and I couldn't see the huge change they've been talking about.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    M3? I thought we were talking about Mazdas.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• palikingmuddapalikingmudda Member Posts: 5
    sup guys and gals ... looking to buy a mazda 3 i have a co signer and with that co signer i most likely well be able to get 0 % apr i want the 2009 i touring mazda 3 sedan ... now should i put my down payment of $ 4000 to increase my chances of getting the 0 % apr or should i go with the 0 money down to get the benefits of the no apr and how much should i look to be paying because the TMV invoice i seen on edmunds doesn't make sense how can the invoice be a 1000 less than MSRP... oh Btw i live in buffalo , new york
  • tmorr42tmorr42 Member Posts: 10
    Jan 09, purchased an 09 Mazda3,i touring value,auto. moonroof 6cd package, all weather mats, wheel locks...........................$17,700. This was BEFORE $500 cash back. Also got the special financing 1.9% 60 months.

Edmunds MSRP $20K
    Invoice $18.4K

Paid $700 under INVOICE. Thought it was strange too. Did Not have to do much negotiating at all. Asked around and it was a good deal..............Not especially great.

Best way to buy is to use email and get quotes from 3-4 Mazda dealers, go with the best deal. If you have a trade get an offer on it before you get final quotes. They'll all try and play the "shell game" with you.

Love the car, decided on copper red, good luck.
    Thanks alot man great tips i will put them to good use copper red was the color i wanted i was looking at the mazda 3 with out the sunroof and 6 disk cd changer so if i can get the same deal you got i will be extreamly happy
    oh and another thing did you put any money down or anything ?
  • halfmoon1halfmoon1 Member Posts: 2
    2009 sedan auto i Touring value MSRP $19,820.00 (on the lot for 150 days) $200 lower base price.

moonroof
    rear wing spoiler
    wheel locks
    cargo net

$16,476.00 this includes FRT and customer cash with 2.9% for 60 months or 0% 36 months and no payments for 90 days.

Plus T T T 6% tax $17,854 in my garage.

I was thinking to hold off till next month for more discounts but out of 400 i tourings within 50 miles of me less than 10 have color and options I want.

Oh yea test drove in the same day, Corolla then Civic then ZOOM ZOOM it wins ;)
    No, that was the final price.....................forgot , did get the rear lip spoiler as weel
    not sure what this stands for...........please help,

Thanks
    Well im going in this week to hopefully purchase a Mazda 3 ... i am going for the auto 4spd i touring 6cd/sunroof rear spoiler MSRP is 19,550 then the 1000 cash back 18,550 and the 90 days no payments now what price should i fight for i was thinking 15,550 then plus w/e the tax should be whats your thoughts and tips guys i live in Buffalo Ny if that matters
  • k1922k1922 Member Posts: 14
    What's a "shell game"?
    The shell game is just an expression. The dealer starts moving the numbers (price, trade, interest rate, term, monthly payment, cash back etc.) all around to confuse the customer.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    2009 Mazda 3 Touring Value Edition 4-door Automatic"

MSRP - 18,500
    Net Price - 15,700

Decent deal for Boston area?

Congrats on your Mazda 3 Shipo! Hope you like it.
    Also 0% financing for 36 months.
    is that including the 1000 cash back and including taxes if so thats a good deal !!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Thanks, it's a pretty decent car, especially for the money. That said, it's no BMW, and while I intend to drive the Mazda3 for a couple of years before I pass it off to my two kids (who'll be getting their licenses next year, and then again in 2012), I'm already counting the days before I can justify getting back into a RWD BMW with a slick shifting stick. :)

FWIW, I bought my Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition 5-Speed (which had an MSRP of $17,843 and an Invoice of $16,752) for the "Invoice" price back in November. I'm thinking that since the Automatic version of my car has an MSRP of $18,665 and an Invoice of $17,529, getting one for under $16,000 is going to be a bit difficult to come up with. :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Yes it includes the $1K cash back as a discount if that's what you mean.

Sales tax in Mass is 5% on top of the net price.
    Car we bought is the same as yours except with an Auto. Actually this car is for my daughter who is just getting her license - lucky girl. We looked at Corollas and Jettas. Could have gotten a Corolla S for the same price. She thought the Mazda3 was more BMW-like. Smart girl. I showed her the design of the 2010 Mazda3. Her comment on the front-end was that she would have been laughed out of high school :surprise:

I would of had them at $15,300 if the owner loyalty was available. Some amazing deals on cars for President's day.

BTW - had a great ED experience last August.
  • AnjambuAnjambu Member Posts: 1
    i have an offer by one dealer as below,

Mazda 3 i touring value with moonroof 2008 model (brand new)
    15882 plus tax and title
    0 % apr for 60 months

is it a good deal its a 2008 model and the figure is after 1000 rebate
    your call, I paid:

2009 i touring value, moonroof, 6cd, alloy wheels & locks, all weather mats, auto 17.6k after $500 rebate & got 1.9% finance.

Rebates are better now as you can see.

Advice: Get 3-4 quotes from diff. dealers and take the best (obviously)

I have heard the 09's are selling for even less than I paid now. SHOP AROUND.

There is an advantage though to buying an 08 so late as far as mileage goes when you trade in. Your deal sounds pretty good .

Good luck, my daughter LOVES the car...................Copper red!
    Well I did $200 better than that on an 09 without sunroof.

Problem with the 08s is that they don't have the same MFG incentives working for them as the 09s. And on top of that the 10 models are due to hit US dealers in 6 weeks. So now the 08 is 2 years old. Plenty of 09 inventory out there right now.

I would push on an 09 model at say $16,500.
  • J1295J1295 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard the 2010 Mazda3 is supposed to be on dealer lots by March, but I have yet to see pricing. Does anyone know what the pricing will be?
  • hokiehatchhokiehatch Member Posts: 4
    2009 Touring with a manual transmission. Crystal White Pearl exterior, Sand interior. It had some extras including the auto dim mirror with compass, moonroof and 6cd changer, pearl paint, rear bumper step plate, cargo net, cargo tray, and wheel locks.

I paid $17,300 including destination and dealer processing fee. I think I did well enough given that the invoice for the car was around $19,800. I was able to use the $1500 dealer incentive for cash purchases. It seems like there is a pretty significant glut of the 2009 3s with the 2010s coming available soon, which may have helped to push prices down.
  • mazda3manmazda3man Member Posts: 2
    I have received a quote from a dealer on a 2009 Mazda 3 i touring value with auto transmission for $17,300. This model does not have anything extra so no moonroof or 6 CD changer. The sticker price on the car was 18,755. Do you guys think this is a fair price? Thanks for your help.
    Keep pushing, Final deal should be $2500 - $3000 off MSRP (from what I've read online in the forums) Just purchased: 09 i touring, auto, moonroof, 6cd. all weather mats & wheel locks.

MSRP $20k
    Inv $ 18.4k
    Final Price was $17.7k (including the $500 rebate) Only $2300 off MSRP, wish I would have checked the forums BEFORE I purchased.

also 1,9% 60 months. I think the rebates are now $1000 - $1500 Check) and the interest rate is 0% for 60 months.

Your deal (my opinion) should be closer to.....
    $15,800 - $16,300. Don't be afraid to push, they are hurting (all dealers) plus the 2010's are almost out. Also get quotes from 3-4 mazda dealers, let them know you are, then you'll really see the prices drop.

I'm in Delco PA. GOOD LUCK! We LOVE the car! Copper red........awesome!
    I agree with Tmorrow's response. You should be able to get at least another $1,500 off. The 2010's come out in about 6 weeks, and they will be desperate to get rid of 09's. You have the upper hand here - take advantage of it.
  • mazda3manmazda3man Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. I live in New York so my prices might be a little higher but I will definitely try going to other dealers for a better price.
  • beluvianbeluvian Member Posts: 2
    2009 Mazda3 I Touring Value with manual tranny, metro gray, black interior, no accessories, includes doc fee - $14,900
  • mantranfanmantranfan Member Posts: 6
    Finally got my husband behind the wheel of the Grand Touring and as I expected he found it head and shoulders above the Civic EX we'd driven last summer. Since the planets seem to be aligning (even the stimulus package is pushing us in this direction), we're about to buy our very first brand new car.

So far, we know we can buy a new '08 GT MT with the moonroof/audio pack for $20,008 (out the door price), or an '09 for $21,362. We usually drive our cars forever (currently have '93 and '96) so the difference seems slight to us, but maybe there were some improvements I don't know about for '09 (the car we drove was the '08)?
    Do those deals seem reasonable? We don't plan to finance through the dealer.
  • mellowfusionmellowfusion Member Posts: 2
    I emailed 6 dealerships and drove them nuts as some refused to push their prices back, lose money, and get my business. Eventually spoke on the phone with a dealer in Oakland, CA (I am in San Francisco) and I highly recommend Simon Tse!

2009 i Touring Value, 4 dr, light silver, automatic 5-speed, standard options.
    2009 is more expensive than 2008 because they added fog lights, alloy wheels (wow!), leather covered steering wheel, etc.

$1000 cash back, 0% for 36 months.

Invoice price without financing is $14,490, with financing is $15966

Not a big difference there, so financing of course! Total plus fees and tax was $16483 out the door!

Very happy! :shades:
  • mellowfusionmellowfusion Member Posts: 2
    I agree with a previous post that the enormous front grill for the new 2010 models are extremely unappealing.

2009 is the final line of 2.0L cars! Terrible! All cars in 2010 line regardless of 4 dr or 5 dr are all going to be 2.3L!
    I would look to negotiate lower. Look for around $19,000-19,500 for a 2009 Grand Touring manual with moonroof and audio package (prior to delivery and dealer processing fees) if you are buying with cash or outside financing. If you are planning to use Mazda's financing promotion, I would look to add about $500 to that range (the dealer incentive is $500 lower for financing vs. a cash purchase). So all-in-all, look for a price of $1500 to $2000 off invoice (inclusive of delivery and dealer processing fees).

You may be able to do better with some negotiating and if you have another dealer(s) to pit the one you mentioned against.
    Thanks for the advice about negotiating. I expect this dealer to come down some (this was the first contact), but I do plan to contact 3 or 4 dealers.

Do you have any opinions about the '08 vs. '09?
    I would think that you could drive a harder bargain on a 2008 vs. a 2009. However, I would look into the differences between the 2008 and 2009 to see if the newer model may have more improvements that are important to you. Also, the '08 may have significantly higher test drive miles, but that is just speculation from my perspective.
    It looks from the review that the only change (at this trim level) from 2008 to 2009 is that the key fob has a trunk release. Does anyone know of anything else? I've never owned a car with keyless entry, so I think I could live with that difference!

The 2010, on the other hand, is very tempting....
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    2010 pricing information was announced yesterday. Links to the press release and detailed pricing information are available in the 2010 discussion thread here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1b2332/179
    Dealer in the Boston Area - Sentry West has the same car in the showroom for $17,900.
    I would guess that you would get a 2010 for say a few hundred over invoice - so $17,500 for an i Touring AT. So the price difference with an 09 might be as much as $2,000.

If this is your first new car wait until the 2010s are on the lot. Then you can decide between an 09 and 10 with more negotiating leverage.
    Not according to the press releases put out by Mazda.
  • jicbulkjicbulk Member Posts: 25
    With AutoDim Mirror, Moonroof&CD
    No Downpayment, 36 Month lease
    $335/month
    Tulley Mazda in Nashua, NH

I was just looking for a ballpark figure and they used Invoice price to figure this. Bottom line was that the car was going to be ~$22k.

I ended up with a 2007 BMW 328i with 16k miles for that $.
  • SmittypowaSmittypowa Member Posts: 14
    There is a dealer in the area that on both a national car site and their own webpage, they have 09's and 08's under $15K. From pics and option features, the i Sport Sdn can be had under $14K before dealer fees.

These are Automatic.

The i Touring Value is $14.1+ most under $15K. There was one with Moonrof, changer, wing spoiler for slightly more than 15K. I'm going to see if a closer dealer will price match/price beat based on the two site's correlation (I compared the stock #s) plus they advertise an additional $300 off if you bring the ad.

So at 14K, add $1500 for TTT and you can get a nice one for under $16K.

the s Sport HB was slightly over 16K too. a wee bit more than I want to spend.
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    2009 S Sport, 5 Door, Man Trans

MSRP- $18,995 incl destination

"S" Plan ( invoice minus $400) , $1500 rebate

$16,000 agreed price plus tax,tags,title, doc fee

$17,623 out the door

Includes cargo net, cargo mat, all weather floor mats, wheel locks, rear bumper guards as part of the deal.

Also considered the Mit Lancer, Hyn Elantra and VW Jetta. Wanted the Maz 3 Sedan but the rear headroom was much better in the 5 door and I wanted the 2.3 and Metro Gray paint.
    Just do it :-)
  • rgarnerrgarner Member Posts: 37
    Good deal?

2009 Mazda S hatchback; manual

Price: Just under 17k after $1000 rebate, tax (reduced because of trade-in), tags and doc fee.

I'm $1000 upside down in a 2007 Civic EX, which is my hesitation at the moment.