Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mazda3hcmazda3hc Member Posts: 4
    2009 i touring value 4-d auto: 16100 + tax + fee, NY, is that a good price?
    2009 i Touring Value, 4 dr, light silver, automatic 5-speed, standard options,

how come your invoice can be so low? I was told it is $17564 (before $1500 rebate). And it is auto 4-speed.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    For those considering an 08 the I noticed that Quirk Mazda in Boston area had a $19,995 HB for sale for $13,995. They are known for their low ball adds so this could be a demo so beware but pricing seems more inline with what I would pay for a leftover 08. They have an 08 i Sport for $11,900 on their website.
    Rule of thumb discounting formula on 09s.

Formula:
    Invoice - current Mazda discounts - additional dealer discount (up to $500 on top of that).

Most leverage is when the 2010s arrive on dealer lots and that will be within a few weeks.
  • mantranfanmantranfan Member Posts: 6
    We went to the (mega-Mazda) dealer to try to negotiate for one of the five '08 manual GT's on their lot. First we discovered that two of them were 2008's (not 2008.5's). Then when we tried to get them down to well under 20k for one of the '08.5's, they wouldn't budge. Said they'd rather get the tax write-off on the depreciation. This was yesterday, so maybe they'll call back... Hoping to have better luck with an '09 when the 2010s are out, but if not, we may have to go with a Civic EX-L. There seem to be many more of them out there and dealers willing to make good deals.
  • kle1kle1 Member Posts: 8
    That's a great deal mazdazed. Can you tell me which dealer you bought this from? Did you also go through Internet sales?

I almost bought the same car in galaxy gray this Sat for 16,338 + TTL (15,888 w/o mazda financing) but missed it by a few minutes as somebody else was also making a deal on the car when I offered to buy it.
  • frontierchickfrontierchick Member Posts: 3
    I've been quoted for 16776 out the door for a 09 mazda3 i touring auto sedan metro gray no extras in central Florida. MSRP is 18465 for this car. Is this a good deal? It also includes 0% financing. From reading here it seems the deal should be lower but when I pressed for it, they acted as if I was insane to even suggest it.

Do you think prices will drop when the 2010s come out? I asked the salesperson and he said no they would not drop. Should I take this deal or hold out? Thanks!
  • SmittypowaSmittypowa Member Posts: 14
    What dealer was that? I'm in Tampa and will probably be getting a M3 when my car gets sold (anytime now). I've seen a central florida dealer with good specials and want to know if its the same.

Prices may not go down, BUT rebates will increase. I was looking at a Nissan Sentra and the 08's in Dec had a $1750 rebate and the 09s had a $1500 one. Now? they are at $2500/$2250, resp.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I've been quoted for 16776 out the door for a 09 mazda3 i touring auto sedan metro gray no extras in central Florida. MSRP is 18465 for this car. Is this a good deal? It also includes 0% financing.

Are taxes and tag and $1000 in Florida? With 0% this is about a $15000 purchase price. (or less if your credit is less than perfect) For the rest of the country this is about an avg deal, with good credit. If you need a car now go for it. The $15000 should include dealer doc fee. ($50-400)

Soliciting 10+ bids last week of the month from dealers within 150 miles from you via mazda website will show the scenery in your area. Sometimes prices can get lower than you think via dealer cell calls the last 2 days.

From reading here it seems the deal should be lower but when I pressed for it, they acted as if I was insane to even suggest it.

Yes we practiced the "insane" look between sales. People getting an average deal got the insane look when suggesting a lower price, people getting raped for $4000 more than avg got the insane look when suggesting a lower price.

Do you think prices will drop when the 2010s come out? I asked the salesperson and he said no they would not drop.

Good thing you asked... he knows things. (the avg car salesman is out of the business in 6mo.)

Good luck
    --jjf
    What is the net price on the car after all discounts before any other fees?
    It's Classic Mazda in Orlando.

The car is 14995. Then there's 6% tax, 6.50 tire fee, 2.00 lemon law fee, 599 dealer fee, 24.00 electronic filing fee, and 113 for tag.

The car is supposed to go up to 15495 if you want the 0% financing but I think they finally agreed not to do that. Although I don't really remember there were so many numbers thrown around. I do know the final price was 16776.

And, I don't need the car now.
  • flyoverseaflyoversea Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Mazda 3 (2009) i value touring 4 speed automatic (no other options) on Sat. I learnt a lot from this forum so let me share my experience about price.

I am in NJ.

My price: $14450 (retail price, including destination fee)
    After TTL [tax (7%), tittle and lisence fee], 5 years registration fee, document fee, etc. = out of door price: $16055, and with a fill-up tank.

I think this is a acceptable deal. Actually I think there still some range (several hundreds $) to bargain, but I rent a car recently. If I can save some time/energe and return the rental car, I can earn this money back immediately. So I stoped going around and bought that car directly.

At first I gave my price as $14400, then the salesman told me this is impossible. But it is possible actually. They always say this to bully you. At last the sales manager came out and offered me $14400 + 350. I said if $14450 I may buy it or I will leave. They kept saying this is impossible, but when I stood up and said good-bye to them, they gave me this offer.

So keep pushing them they will give you the offer at last.
  • zoom4funzoom4fun Member Posts: 7
    I am in Tampa area. Best price so far....
    Sport w automatic and A /c (no auto door/window no alloy ect) Basic model with automatic trans.
    MSRP 16940

Out the door pricing with TTL and all fees 14,600.00
    Our tax rate is 6%
    Hmm, exactly same car NJ Wayne dealer gave me a quote of $15286 net price and OTD as $17616. Much more than you paid. May I know which dealer you bought the car?
    what dealer? I've called one of the ferman's and we are haggling around the 15K mark for the i-TVE. I anticipate it will be about $16500 out the door..
  • ecnelovecnelov Member Posts: 10
    "Hoping to have better luck with an '09 when the 2010s are out, but if not, we may have to go with a Civic EX-L. There seem to be many more of them out there and dealers willing to make good deals."

Yes but they are not NEARLY as fun to drive.
    I'm in the Tampa area here in Florida. I called a dealer, got a price of $15,100 (after some phone haggling). they didn't want to go down to $15,000 even.. (includes dealer prep fee).

So I called our Credit Union Auto Advisor and got the 09 Mazda3 i touring Value sdn for $16,200 from somewhere else. Includes 1yr complimentary maintenance.

I think this is the best deal around, as i've seen other advertised deals for more.
    i forgot to mention, the $16,200 was out the door, prior to any DPs.

so for $100 and the price of the 1yr maintenance, the 1st dealer lost my sale.
  • vovanivovani Member Posts: 7
    i think your deal and mine are both good..

i got 2009 Mazda3 S Touring hatchback, automatic for $18K OTD; this includes $1K rebate, ttl, and 0% for 36 months.

looks like not too many folks here opt for hatch, most prefer sedan.. why?
    "looks like not too many folks here opt for hatch, most prefer sedan.. why? "

my personal reason: I don't really like the looks of the HB. I know they are practically the same, but when I see a HB it just looks so long, like a limo. In my opinion. I would prefer the 2.3 engine but no dealers seem to carry the S model in sedan. Not sure why. But I also haven't driven a 2.3, so maybe it's not a big difference.
    Well my dealer fee was $230 + $80 registration for my recent buy - the same car as yours :)

So you are paying $15,400 compared to my $15,800 when you add in your incremental costs over my deal to get apples to apples. BTW I did get 0% for 36 months and 90 day deferred payments. So even if you don't need the car your not paying for it for a while.

I think the economic conditions are a little tougher in FL than the Boston area at this point so my theory is that your local dealers are discounting a bit more.

mb
    The one along the Route 22 which also sold Toyota cars.

Good luck! But it seems that they do not have a lot of Mazda 3 now (only several red ones left). Some people do not like red cars, like me.

I think you can get similar deals from others if you go there and really push the price.
    1) I LOVE the hatchback, but don't want to spend 17k+ OTD for it. I had the option (and might still do) to get a slightly older S Sport HB for under 13K (actually 3 of them). I'm still considering it.

2) I went with my CU which is giving me 3.99% although, I told them I'm willing to sit and listen to their financing.. If they give me 0% too for the same price, I'll take it.

Now this is the crappy part.. they guy who was buying my car flaked on me this evening to come get it. So unless he buys it tomorrow, I'm SOL, unless the dealer gives me what I want for it (HAHA god luck to me.) At least I have the car price settled on.
  • nazrafelnazrafel Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

After some bargaining I've managed to get a dealer to quote me $19,600 on the 09 s Grand Touring w/ moon roof and bose sound (4 door). This includes the $1,500 dealer cash and a couple other discounts. No, he hasn't given me a fee schedule (where I am sure he will try to make up the profit margin.) I'm in CA so I figure about 10% in taxes, $214 in registration and the $55 doc fee. I just wanted to check if this was basically a good starting price given that the MSRP on the car is $23,550.

I appreciate your help! Thanks!
    AT or MT? The lowest quote we've gotten for the same with MT is $19660 here on the east coast. The tax, etc. brought it up to $21,443. We weren't so happy with that at the time (it was for a car they had in stock, so we thought they could have come down more.) At another dealer, the salesperson said we could get out the door for $21362, but not in writing and the sales manager hasn't approved that quote yet.

Thoughts, anyone? It seems the GT's are not in very good supply (especially manuals).
    Hatchbacks just aren't that popular in the U.S. Don't know why. This may change with Gas prices over time, once people find that good one's are almost half pickup truck.

The next door neighbor got one of the few Mazda6 sedans that are a hatchback. Can't tell by looking at it but when I saw him hauling a washing machine in the box with the hatch up that was pretty cool.

Scion Tc hatch coupe seems to be the same way.

It seems that without considering financing, many dealers are discounting the $18000+ 09 M3's almost $4500.

Good luck
    --jjf

i think your deal and mine are both good..

i got 2009 Mazda3 S Touring hatchback, automatic for $18K OTD; this includes $1K rebate, ttl, and 0% for 36 months.

looks like not too many folks here opt for hatch, most prefer sedan.. why?

Replies to this message:
    The quote was for AT. You're right about the GTs being in short supply in some areas. There are a decent number of them at the Mazda dealerships in the LA area (where I got the quote), but I also called Las Vegas to see if I could score a big deal there (given that the economy in Vegas is WAY worse than LA right now) and they don't have an '09 GT in the ENTIRE STATE, AT or MT. They have 1 or 2 left over 2008.5 GTs, but that's it.

Looks like major dealers in the LA area are where I'm going to focus. I don't have to buy now so I figure I'd hold off until the '10s hit the lots and the dealers REALLY want to move inventory. I'd like to get OTD around $21k for the GT '09.

Suggestions? Think this would work/is possible?
    I have the chance to get a 07 s Hatchback for under $13500.. its in great shape, and a savings of 3K over a new one. I still have a yr warranty (on age and mileage) and can easily buy an extended from my credit union. no accidents, non smoker.

thoughts?
  • tsixr1tsixr1 Member Posts: 1
    Do you mean Crystal Automall in Greenbrook, NJ? That's a really good OTD price, did you get the special financing with it as well? Thanks.
    Yes for your first question.

I did not get any financing since I focus on the total price. I will pay off.

I computed carefully, a 0apr finance is not very attractive since the APR of depositing money is not high in these days. Asking for 0 apr will make the price higher (about $900).

Keep pushing you may get a better price than me.
  • srb427srb427 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone in NY/NJ area bought a Mazda at fleet price? Having trouble getting name of "Fleet Manager" at dealership, wondering if there's a more direct route than calling dealership and asking for him, afraid I'm not talking to "real" Fleet Manager there. Their "Fleet" website is a bit confusing as to who "qualifies" to buy fleet cars.
    Appreciate any help!
    SRB427
  • srekalogsrekalog Member Posts: 2
    MT, moon/bose sound, heated seats

15000 miles

$18.5k OTD

Good deal, or can I do better?

Thanks
    Forget about the fleet manager or sales mgr in particular. Fleet mgrs specialize in selling cars to businesses (who are spending other people's corporate money), and not especially concerned on price.

Get 10 bids last week of the month via email from mazda's website (seems to have very good summary of inventory) within a 150 mile radius. Tell them you are getting 10 bids. Work with 2 or 3 finalists over cell phone, working down as much as possible. Finalize with mgr over cell.

Good luck
    --jjf

Has anyone in NY/NJ area bought a Mazda at fleet price? Having trouble getting name of "Fleet Manager" at dealership, wondering if there's a more direct route than calling dealership and asking for him, afraid I'm not talking to "real" Fleet Manager there. Their "Fleet" website is a bit confusing as to who "qualifies" to buy fleet cars.
    Appreciate any help!
    SRB427
  • zoom4funzoom4fun Member Posts: 7
    Bill Miller at Ferman on Florida and also Glen at Mazda Wesley Chapel(they were higher, but will come down~didn't want to push til end of the month). Was also told they would not want to loose the deal over a few hundred...may be more room. Again this is just automatic trans....no other upgrades.
  • vovanivovani Member Posts: 7
    i'd say you could/should do better by at least $500 or more.

compare my $18K OTD for brand new (60 miles) 09 Touring HB with AT but no extras that come with GT (plus 0% for 36 months Mazda/Chase financing). i had to negotiate a bit via email insisting that my budget = $18K and i can't go over it.. hope we are not comparing apples to oranges here.
    good luck!
  • srekalogsrekalog Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I kind of concluded the same thing over the past day and am now trying to find an 09 GT HB in a similar price range (maybe a bit more).
    We have only gotten quotes (just) under $20k OTD for 2008.5 GT's (manuals). The 2009's are all in the range of $21.5k. (We're seriously considering the 2008.5's. It's basically the same car.)
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    kle1,

The first dealers I went to were in NJ and they were basically quoting me msrp minus rebate or $1,000 off msrp. Not a good deal at all in todays market. I originally wanted a 2.3 manual in the sedan with no moonroof. Try to find one! When I saw how much better the rear headroom was in the 5 door and how much more practical it is I made the switch. The trunk opening in the sedan is small. Also, the one I bought with the $18,995 msrp was built before the $300 price increase. Most S Sport 5 doors on the lots were stickered at $19,295. Through my employer I was able to qualify for the Ford "X", Mazda "S" plan which is invoice minus $400 plus any rebates being offered at the time. I also did not use Mazda's financing which added another $500 to the rebate making it $1,500 not $1,000. So in the end it was $3,000 off sticker. My experience with John Kennedy Mazda in PA was excellent and I would recommend them. I find the "BOZO THE CAR GRILL" on the 2010 absurd. Good Luck!
    Well I don't have a new 2009 car, but I just bought an 07 MAzda3 s 5dr in Aurora Blue Mica. The owner babied this car and it just passed 20K with over 1 yr left in warranty. Paid 13K for it.

Looking at all the paperwork, the previous owner bought every single warranty available. He got a GM Smart Care plan for 48 months, an extended warranty via CNA for 72K miles, the tire warranty, and the theft etching/stickers.

I've got to call and find out if that extended warranty is transferrable and definitely getting the Smart Care extended. I usually like to do my own with Mobil 1, but I usually spend $30 doing it on my own so even if I get some credit from the program, paying under $30 to upgrade to synth is worth it.

Looking forward to posting with everyone else here... MAN THIS CAR IS SWEET!!!
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The 2.3 engine is a really sweet one with plenty of power when needed. Have 58k on our '05 3s sedan and it's held up very well mechanically though it does have some creaks and other noises emanating from different areas. Still all in all, it's been a great drama free car for the wifey to drive. And as she says..."it was the best out there at the time" which is a great compliment from someone who sees any car as an appliance to move from point A to point B. She doesn't share my automotive passion though my oldest girl is getting the "fever" since she now has her own wheels that she chose.

Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a 2011 Mazda 3 if they have one with more power goodies and leather as the wife decided she wants more luxo stuff in her daily driver. As long as she says we can afford it, bring it on!

The Sandman :)
    thanks, I just need to get the title transferred and registered and away we go. My wife, in pictures didn't like the color much, saying its ok, but not something she'd drive to Publix in. However, after seeing it in the driveway and driving up the street, I've seen the fires burn in her eyes... That look of, Oh yes I will drive it.. ALOT...

She had a 99 Protege and loved that car, so she feels at home with the new 3.
  • gwrace1gwrace1 Member Posts: 24
    As is the case with any car. IF you look at the grill, front end or back end you can see a facial expression. The grin on the 2010 Mazda is only subjective and what you make out of it. It was done for the sake of efficiency. Buy a car for it's functionality, reliability and features. I don't see the grill when I'm driving anyway. Come on people it's a mechanical device void of human features. What you see in the grill is what you make of it. I've already ordered a 2010 and think it has some nice upgrades over the previous dated design.
    No purchase history here but just received a quote from our closest Mazda dealer for a loaded 2010 Mazda3 GT with leather and both premium option packages.

It was basically MSRP -$500 because it was going to be a special order. Three month estimated wait time. Total before TTL was 25588.00

We are not in an immediate need for a new car. Just wondering how long it will take before prices drop and incentives begin.
  • alfaraceralfaracer Member Posts: 9
    Mazdazed,

Which Kennedy place did you purchase from, Conshohocken or Pottstown?
    Thanks, good luck with your new 3.
    09 Mazda3 S Grand Touring Hatchback Auto transmission, moonroof/audio package, cargo mat, cargo net, cargo tray, door edge guards, aluminum fuel door, all weather mats, compass autodim with homelink, rear bumper guard, sirius satellite radio, wheel locks, pin stripe

MSRP $24763
    Invoice: $23017

Dealer quote: $22017 includes Mazda $1000 cash back offer

Take it or go back to the negotiating table?
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    Conshohocken. No pressure and the Salesperson was very helpful and informative.
  • cocwpcpcocwpcp Member Posts: 2
    I know i'm not in your area. Prices i have gotten in northern california are at least $2000 below invoice and thats on lower priced touring and sport models. There should be more room on yours.
    In So Cal I got an 09 Mazda s Grand Touring w/moon roof & bose package for $19,565 plus TTL for a total of $21,500 OTD.
  • cocwpcpcocwpcp Member Posts: 2
    That price you got makes more since. I'm getting quotes of at least $2,500 off invoice for 5 door sport automatics. Which is about $18,000 OTD.Invoice depending on the dealer was around $19200. Do you know the invoice price for your car? If its a automatic its over $22000 for sure. The previous post vechicle sounded way to high. Definitely keep negotiating if it was me..
  • allenartlaballenartlab Member Posts: 1
    I tried to negotiate, via emails, with dealers in San Diego for a 09 Mazda 3 (i touring model). So far the best quote I got is about 2150 off invoice. Is this a good deal or should I keep searching?