Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• BMW540BMW540 Member Posts: 33
    What did you pay and with what options?
    BMW
  • go2uclago2ucla Member Posts: 34
    Hi Sodaguy, I am also in the market for a 2010 M3 Sport. Can you tell me the name of the dealer you got your friend's Mazda from. I am in the LA area. Thanks.
  • gman70gman70 Member Posts: 2
    Received $3K for a 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE with 90K miles in fair condition. Dealer was running a promotion in New Jersey. Blue Book was $1300.00 at best.

Paid $14700.00 for the 2010 Mazda 3 I Touring - Auto Tran and the OTD price including TT&L was $16,311.00. Basically, paid $4400.00 under the MSRP.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    $18,198 (plus delivery charge) 5-door sport, with no options.
  • cricket18cricket18 Member Posts: 8
    rebes74

Yes the MD state tax is 6% but you pay the tax rate of the state you reside in. I paid 3% since I live in VA.

The extras were the extended warranty program, maintenance stuff..I wasn't interested in this so didn't pay much attention to his sales pitch.
  • cricket18cricket18 Member Posts: 8
    gman70

Did the $16,311 include the $3k for trade in? If it didn't I think it's an awesome deal for an i touring
  • sunny_hokiesunny_hokie Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this group and love that people are so willing to help! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Here's my deal. I actually have 2 questions.

1. I've been shopping for a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring Auto, base trim, wheel locks and no other options. I've visited 4 showrooms and probably spent about 3-4 weeks. After all that research, today we put down $200 (advance) on the car at a showroom in MA. This is what I will be paying for it -

MSRP : $19,150
    Invoice : $17,980
    EdmundsTMV : $18,539

My Offer: $17,000 !! (about $1000 below invoice)
    Acquisition $595.00 (sounds high?)
    Registration $109.50
    Dealer Fees $295.00 (lesser than some other dealers)
    Tax $850.00
    -------------------------------------------
    OTD: $18,849!

I know the Dealer Fees sounds like a lot (and it probably has a lot of his profit built in) but he wouldn't budge on it. Since I had done some research on Edmunds, I knew this was a great price and showed interest. Infact, it was past dealer's close time and I went ahead and put $200 deposit on it since he was cribbing about not bieng able to give me this again. The deposit is refundable and quite honestly I was getting weary after 3 hours of negotiating. After I got back home, I spent another 3 hours on the net and quite honestly, I'm still not sure if this is a great deal. The apparent dishonesty of the dealers has left me constantly concerned about bieng duped.. Please Help if you've recently purchased, or are looking to purchase a similar vehicle.

2. i AM looking to lease this vehicle but for obvious reasons did not bring it up till late in my negotiations with the dealer. I'll be a first time leaser and since there's so much to know, even after lots of research hours, I'm still a little confused.

This is what the dealer had to offer on the lease:

15,000 Miles
    36 Months
    Money Factor: unfortunately, I don't remember
    Residual Value: I think it was 55%
    Trade-in: $1000
    Down Payment: $1500

Monthly Payment : $179/mo . This includes Sales Tax, Plate and registration.
    Does this sound reasonable? Is the Money Factor and Residual value consistent among dealers in a state for a particular vehicle or can they wary? I know that for the month of July 36 month / 15000 mi per year lease is .00185. The residual value is 53% of MSRP. Should I fight for this or does the low offer ($17,000) that I got seem like a good deal regardless?

I plan to go in again to sign the papers.. but you think I'm making abig mistake, pelase let me know asap!

THANKS MUCH!
  • sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    I am not very familiar with leases, but I have always been told to avoid putting any money down on a lease.

As for the purchase price itself, you can do better. I helped my friend pick up a 2010 Mazda 3i Touring last weekend and she paid $1300 under invoice. MSRP was $20,975, she paid $18,227.

Good luck.
  • garfield3dgarfield3d Member Posts: 3
    Hi there Sunny Hokie,

I'm practically in the same boat as you are. I've been in the market for a 2010 Mazda3i Touring with automatic transmission and no extras (no wheel locks either). The lowest price that I have been able to get is $18,600 OTD. This was after being initially offered $18,900 OTD, and then $18,600. The salesman said that they could wobble an extra $50 to $100 off the price if we were ready to deal, but I get the feeling that he was probably going to try to recoup it with some imaginary fee somewhere later in the paperwork. We gave a final offer of $17,600 OTD, and after they told us that we were "wasting their time," we ended up walking away.

My price point is actually the same as yours. We were aiming for $17,000 OTD, but we haven't had much luck. Honestly, I am skeptical of whether or not it's possible to hit the $17,000 OTD price point unless you're an astute negotiator (of which, I am not). On our side, I think we might be content with under $18,000 OTD, but even then, we might just decide to wait until the end of the year or another time to buy a Mazda3.

Concerning your case, I'm sure that the dealership would have given you the same price later on if you walked out. The whole "not sure if we can offer this price again" deal was probably just to get you to commit to a sale before the day ended. Of course, they might not offer you the price again just to spite you on walking out, but it sounds like a salesman acting like a salesman.

I've always felt that if you don't need the car, then try to get closer to your price point. In terms of the value of your deal, it sounds like an average to decent deal, but I would consider whether or not you're comfortable with moving this far away from your original budget.

--Garfield3d
  • sunny_hokiesunny_hokie Member Posts: 2
    Garfield3d & sodaguy -

Thanks for your input. Although I'd like to get close to the $17,000 OTD mark, I'm almost convinced it won't happen. Based on your input, I've sent a query to another dealer that I've worked with to see if he can beat my ~18,800 OTD. I think there's scope in the fees that they are charging; perhaps he can throw in something extra as an incentive. Either ways, I'm now more confident that I can push for a 18,500 or 18,600 OTD price. I'll update the group once I get the new quote.

Thanks again!!
  • saveabuck2saveabuck2 Member Posts: 5
    Hopefully this is not too late. But I just bought a Silver Mazda 3 i touring, last Friday, to be exact, the day the cash for clunkers program was "effective" ( I know some dealers started July 1) for $17,209 + Doc fee $99 + temp tags $15.50 + tax. Dealt over the phone and email.

I called Ohio's dealers and could not get any deal under $18,000. Checked on this board and saw someone purchase it at Fitzgerald Mall and hence I went to the website and saw my car. This dealership has many locations in MD but the that had my car was in Annapolis. Was skeptical at first because I had to drive to Annapolis, MD. A lot of what if's came up because it was a 7.5 hrs drive. For a price difference of $1,200, I thought it was worth the drive. So, my sister and I drove my clunker there. Waited a bit for the cash for clunkers paperwork but other than that, everything else was smooth. Salesperson's name is Joe. Email me if you have any questions.
  • saveabuck2saveabuck2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks very much cricket18. I am so pleased with the deals. I hope others can benefit from the posts. Am trying to get an Odyssey. Waiting for more incentives.
  • sygg13sygg13 Member Posts: 1
    There are a lot of posts about the Tourings and the S Sport models, but I'm looking to buy a 2010 Mazda 3 i Sport Automatic model with no other options, and I was wondering if you guys would share what you paid for yours (options are fine as long as you mention what they were) so I could get an idea of what I should be shooting for in negotiations.

-Sygg13
  • baboingababoinga Member Posts: 1
    So the best price I got quoted was invoice - $750 (so $14,175 for isport man, $16,440 for itouring auto, add delivery to above)! That was an awesome deal, but it was a four hour drive to pick up the car. I ended up getting a similar deal at my local dealer. I got invoice - $500 and saved myself 8 hours of driving. My final price OTD was $15,461 (including fuel surcharge, tax, title, etc..). That is with a $4500 cash for clunkers. I ended up with a blue touring, automatic, sunroof package, alloy wheels, bose system, cruise, blue tooth, and some other stuff. A good deal all around. I could have had it cheaper if the better half wouldn't have insisted on all of the extra stuff (and I would have liked the manual), but I am satisfied.
  • metsjetsmetsjets Member Posts: 12
    but that was with the 3K you got for your trade right??
    wow it seems like you guys are low balling even more than I

I told the dealer that i was looking for a 2010 i touring auto with wheel locks fogs and remote start... i told him that another dealer offered me 18,500 for the car and 20,000 OTD... based on edmunds i thought THAT would be a good price... it seems that you guys are going much lower than i... do you think i should say another dealer offered me a better price??
  • nethealnetheal Member Posts: 1
    2010 Mazda 3 5dr hatchback, s sport, with bluetooth and moonroof package, quoted 21,575 by dealer, Edmund's TMV price is 21,305> Dealer in suburban NY agreeable to TMV but not any less. Is that a good price along with 3.9% Mazda financing?
    guys i got a quote on a Mazda 3 4 door i touring automatic... fogs, remote start, wheel locks, all wheather mats, and spoiler (i really dont care for one but they have it on the car so its included) my quote was $19,918... please tell me what you think

I live in NJ and am getting it from a NJ dealer
  • foxtrotromeofoxtrotromeo Member Posts: 6
    I entered all the options you listed into Edmunds TMV and here were the results.

MSRP - $20,330.00

Invoice - $18,924.00

What others are paying - 19640.00

I think you can get a better deal. I recently purchased a 2010 Mazda3, 4 door "S" Sport automatic sedan with Moonroof, 6-CD & Bose Audio Package and all weather floormats for $500.00 below dealer invoice ( $19,855.00+Tax Title & Lic) in Washington State. I would try to get it at dealer invoice or closer to it. Make sure you get multiple quotes before making your purchase. Good luck and happy shopping.
  • gman70gman70 Member Posts: 2
    MetsJets:

My deal includes the $3K for the trade-in. I am in NJ, and I got it at Wayne Mazda. They were running an ad for $3K on a trade-in for anything under 100K miles. There was no way my 1998 Nissan was worth $3K, so it was basically a rebate they were giving me. Plus, I got a couple more thousand off the price in negotiations. Basically, I paid $4700.00 under MSRP and walked out the door after everything for $16,311.00. I have the basic I-Touring package including cruise control, alloy wheels, blue tooth connectivity, and remote lock access. It is an auto transmission.
    I think you can do a bit better.

I helped my friend purchase a 2010 Mazda 3i Touring Automatic last month. MSRP was $20,975-- the car had the Moonroof, Wheel Locks and Sirius. We pid $18,227 for the car, which is about $1300 under invoice.
    Sorry for the late reply. The dealer was Browning Mazda in Cerritos, CA. Check with the internet department and tell 'em that Michael sent you.
    Just to update the pricing situation on our side:

We decided to bite the bullet on an automatic 2010 Mazda3i Touring (Extras: window tint and wheel locks) for $18,500 OTD. This amounts to a pre-TTL price of $17,206. During the negotiating process, the lowest price that we could get was an untinted 2010 Mazda3i Touring (Extras: wheel locks) for $18,400 OTD. These prices were without any trade-ins.

This all happened in the DFW area. Specifically, we ended up purchasing at Town North Mazda in Richardson, TX. Hopefully this information will be useful to others in their car buying process.

--Garfield3d
    Gman70

I also went to wayne mazda. I signed my purchase order the other day... tell me what you think of my deal... i touring automatic with fogs remote start and wheel locks for $19,819 OTD

what was your sales mans initials?? they wont let you say names on here
  • newmazdaguynewmazdaguy Member Posts: 3
    OK ladies and gentlemen, after much dithering and research, with an assist from this site, I got a graphite mica 3i touring manual with a spoiler (sorry to the purists, but the significant other likes the look) for $16,777 OTD. No trade in, no clunker.

Truth be told, I had some trouble finding dealerships willing to actually deal due to the traffic from the cash for clunkers hysteria. I e-mailed 7 or 8 dealerships in Oregon, making sure to call the individual I was e-mailing first to find out if they were interested. I actually had a couple of dealerships drop off at the time of the call, one fairly local one saying that they didn't need to enter into a competitive bidding process because they have been able to sell the cars at sticker price.

In the end, only one of those e-mails produced an interested dealership, but the price, I think, was right. At least right for me.
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    just returned from my local mazda-kia dealership in ft.laud,fla to look at and compare the mazda 3 and kia forte.price quote for 2010 mazda 3 i touring auto is as follows,

msrp=$19,890.00 my offer of $17,000.00 was turned down and dealer came back with a final price of $17,800.00 and i said i would think about it..i feel as if i might be able to do better elsewhere.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We bought our '05 M3s across the street from our house at Lou Bachrodt. Got a great deal back then with them deleting their dealer fee...was an internet sale. Wife still loves her car and with 67k on it now, no problems except a warranty issue within the 1st few months. Drives very easy still and it can kick [non-permissible content removed] when needed. She will look at the 2011 model for her next ride among others.
    Just curious...how did you like the Forte? It's a real looker and if it drives as nice as the current 3, we'll put that on the short list as well. Hopefully she won't want to downsize into a Versa but that might happen as she really likes my kids '09 Versa hatch. We'd get a sedan though but I think the size is a bit small. Nice car...a bit small. But she'll buy what she wants.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

yes sandman,it was gunther mazda-kia-vw on 441 in ft.laud...as far as the forte goes yes it's an attractive car with lots of features for the money and should compete well with the competition.however,kia's horrible resale value is a problem.the forte would basically be worth peanuts as soon as i drove it off the lot as opposed to the mazda 3 which holds it's value pretty well.
    Luckily, we're still a couple of years out, G-d willing. But I will go give the Forte a test drive within the next few months to get some knowledge of the car. Usually I test a bunch of cars so when the wife comes to me & says she's ready, I'll give her my perspective on each car I've driven. Saves a bunch of time and it'll be easier for her to make an informed decision.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• alkeshalkesh Member Posts: 3
    steven39, was 17800 out the door? Or before taxes and tags?
    I am looking for Mazda3 i Touring no options added, I have been offered $18600 OTD, on MSRP of 19100. Is that any good?
    See my post 4265. My quote for a manual 2010 i touring with no options (before the spoiler) was just over $16,067.

Walk away from what you're being offered and wait a month or two if you can. The blush will be off the clunker rose, and they'll be looking to make a deal again. If you can't wait, try getting more bids.
    the $17,800.00 is before TTT.i don't qualify for the cash for clunkers program but from what iv'e read here i should be able to do alot better price wise.
  • drewsbudrewsbu Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the Mazda3 S sport Auto I am in talk with 3 dealerships all using the online.

2 of them got back to me here is what they offered and are they good offers?

Mazda3 S sport auto
    Moonroof/cd/bose package
    OTD $20,319- They said this is their bottom line price.

Mazda3 S sport auto
    Moonroof/cd/bose package, Velocity Red, automatic, with all-weather floor mats, Compass/Homelink, lip spoiler included.
    MSRP - $22,040
    Your Price - $21,000

2010 Mazda3 S sport, Copper Red, automatic, with floor mats, roof package, technology package, Compass/Homelink, lip spoiler.
    MSRP - $23,235
    Your Price - $22,200

None of these cars are the color I wanted (I will get my color, even if I have to wait). I want either White, Silver or black. The ones they offered me are the only cars they had on their lot.

I also have a non-clunker trade in I want to get $2,000 and I want to put down $5,000 and will finance the rest.

Should I wait for clunkers to end?
    What do you think I should do?
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    Could you tell me the dealer and the saleman in Texas? I like to get the 3i touring but all I am getting is $1,000 of MSRP.

Thanks.
    Drewsbu,

Personally, I would wait, especially if color is a priority for you. It might be better to wait until the end of the month or keep tabs with them. When you're ready to buy, I would also tell the other two dealers of the lowest number that you got from the other dealer, and see if they can outdo the best offer so far. Usually you can at least get them to match the lowest offer, and hopefully they will undercut the other person a little bit.

--Garfield3d
  • msjcorbettmsjcorbett Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I just paid 18500 out the door for the 2010 mazda 3 i touring. Hopefully that is an ok price.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    If its the 18800 msrp auto touring value edition, and taxes/tag were about $1500 that is an OK price.

But really, most of you should wait until this C4C (cash for saps) deal runs out. (Suffering over july 30, Happily prolonged by congress by another 2 billion.) Many vehicles sell for $3000-$8000 off msrp all the time this year , and many c4c folks are paying about as much for their cars as they could have bought them for in early July. Some exceptions but many dealers are sold out of hi mpg car stock, and will hold on to as much metal as they can until the last 270000 or so vouchers are gone.

Considering most of the $4000 voucher goes into the dealers pocket, and the average "clunker" could have been sold or traded in for about $1500 or more, for many consumers its a wash.

The 90% of non c4c buyers may have to pay higher prices until this artificial price support goes. (costing them well over 3 billion) Even then, most of the traditional end of year values on the leftovers (and this year overproduced) 09's came and went for most by early July.

Good luck
    --jjf

I just paid 18500 out the door for the 2010 mazda 3 i touring. Hopefully that is an ok price.
  • theresata91theresata91 Member Posts: 2
    Okay, so my cousin recently purchased a 2010 mazda3 s sport automatic in crystal pearl white for 21,300 OTD and they bought it at invoice price, which was around 19,400. Well I am also looking for a car, and I decided to go to the same dealership and try to purchase a 2010 mazda3 itouring automatic in white as well. So when I get there, the dealer recognized me from the last time i went with my cousins and he immediately helped us find a car, however, when it came down to pricing he didn't want to sell it to us for invoice, which is supposedly 18300. Instead he said the lowest he would go is $200 over invoice, which would be 18500. But I was looking and reading the postings of people who purchased the same car, and saw that many of them were purchased for like 18,000-19,000 OTD. I live in the bay area, so ttl is pretty pricey, so I'm assuming that the 2010 mazda3 i touring I want will be 20500 OTD. Is that good?
    As I wrote several days ago, I got a manual 2010 3i touring before having a spoiler installed for $16,077 before taxes and tags. That was at a dealership just south of Portland.

Your price sounds high, even with sales tax.
  • theresata91theresata91 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah I agree it is expensive but unfortunately the dealers aren't willing to go go any lower. Maybe it's because of the inflation in california :(
  • wirjiwirji Member Posts: 2
    How good of a deal is this for Southern California, I got an internet offer of a stock 5dr 2010 Mazda 3 Black/Black with no options for 20,076 OTD.
  • grinningrinnin Member Posts: 13
    We are now officially a 2 Mazda family. In addition to the 2004 RX-8 in the garage, we bought a 2006 Mazda3s with 18K on it for $13,000 from a private party. It is copper red, has a 5sp manual, sunroof, leather heated seats and a few other goodies. Another plus is 2006 was the last year mazda offered the 48 month/50,000 mile mfr warranty, so we are covered for the next year just in case. It's a city car and there are more than a few minor scratches in the plastic bumpers and some decent curb rash on the alloys, so the deal was probably fair but not a stunning value.

I gotta say we are pretty darn happy with the purchase so far. Our first 3 gas tanks have been 26mpg and 27mpg in mostly city driving, and 31 mpg mostly highway. I was a bit worried the 2.3L engine would not be so efficient, but I am way happy with those numbers. Our former 2000 Nissan Altima with a similar size and powered 4-cyl only got around 21mpg overall (granted with a 4-sp OD auto tranny) We have already been to the dealer once to get a broken rear suspension coil replaced under warranty, but I will keep y'all posted as we get some more miles on the car and tackle a Boston winter with it.
  • bmrichbmrich Member Posts: 10
    I am considering a 2006 or 2007 Mazda 3 s Touring or Grand Touring with an automatic transmission. What are some potential issues or problems with the car that I should look for?
  • tj6968tj6968 Member Posts: 23
    I got my Mazda 3 years ago... it was a 2005. Pretty much got everything you could get and it was just a little under 20k. Been a great car so far. I'd definitley recommend it here.
    Has been a very reliable car for us these past 4 years/64k miles. Easy to drive & park so we're hoping to get another year out of it before we look for a replacement car. We like the new 2010 model but who knows what we'll find in the 2011 model year. A few new entries in the market that we'll have to check out.

• luvmyzoomluvmyzoom Member Posts: 1
    Is that with trade in? Manual or automatic?
  • cylonwolfcylonwolf Member Posts: 1
    Went to a Mazda dealer today and looked at a 2010 3s Grand Touring, Velocity Red. I was offered 21500+++, which comes to about 22600 OTD. I feel like I should be able to get a better deal on this...was hoping for around this price for one with the Moonroof/6CD package, which this does not have. He did offer to add in satellite radio for no charge (car didnt have it installed already). Worth going back or best to keep looking?
  • minjiminji Member Posts: 6
    I was more than interested about how you guys got those fantastic prices. I quoted around (NJ) for a 2010 mazda3 i sport AT and the lowest price I got is $15,648+TTL. Tax here is 7% and in addition dealers notoriously charge around $600 for doc fee and plate fee. So I'm looking at around $17,300 OTD (yes, for a i sport AT). Is there anybody in NJ who can do better than that?
  • hi2ux4hi2ux4 Member Posts: 11
    I went into the Smithtown Mazda dealership on long island and they gave me a lot of attitude. Here is the story:

I was looking for a 2010 Mazda 3i Touring (base w/ no options, manual) and they let me test drive it. During the test drive the sales guy tries to pin down the price, and I said well I only have 18-19K to spend OTD and that is it! I also said that I am in a no bs kinda mood, and was looking to buy a car (hopefully) that day. So, we get back to the dealership and he comes back with a number after consulting his manager $17,950 + ttl. OTD ($19,500) this was at least 500 more than I wanted to pay, plus I knew the TMV was less than that anyway. So, the salesperson goes back after I denied the 17,9 offer and consults with the manager. After that, the manager comes over and says to me," I am in a no bs kinda mood, goodbye!". I left immediately...and also noticed NO other customers there at all. I will never go back there ever again! Fortunately for them, they convinced me to goto my local Honda dealership and buy a car from them....where they had a no haggle, straightforward kind of approach giving me TMV on my Honda. Did I get the best deal on my Honda? I think I did considering the kind of treatment and service that I got at the Honda dealership. Price isn't everything.

The Mazda 3i touring I can say is a great car, with great potential. In fact, I think I liked it better than the civic! But for the attitude, and the price I was getting I couldn't see my self in this car. No other Mazda dealership had the car that I wanted and one Mazda dealership told me I'd have to wait until January to get the car! LOL
  • kwakasmithkwakasmith Member Posts: 29
    Minji,

this is not uncommon in NJ, the dealers don't like to 'deal' (almost like everything has been price fixed). I would try putting some low offers infront of some NY, PA dealers and see how you get on. Herb Chambers in Boston is also pretty good on deals albeit, it will be a drive. I got a price from them last Dec on an Odyssey EXL-RES last Dec, $7000 under MSRP. Noted it was a 2008 which Honda were giving dealers a $3,500 year end discount on but this was still well under invoice. I ended up getting the same price from a NYC dealer which saved me about a 7hrs round trip to get the car.

I am currently negotiating with them on another vehicle currently and looking as though I'll be approx $2000 below invoice OTD.

Hope this was of help.

Rgds