Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nkage487nkage487 Member Posts: 3
    hi,

i apologize if this is a newbie question, but i'm a newbie :-)

can someone please explain the (sometimes significant) discrepancy between the various prices found online? for instance, i'm planning on buying an i touring (4dr auto no options), and i just found the following invoice/msrp figures online:

edmunds: 17,586/18,775
    autobuyguide: 17,190/18,350

i have the option to buy using s-plan, so i'm trying to figure out what 'invoice price' i would pay, and thus whether i can do better on my own.

also, is destination charge negotiable, or is it legitimately standard?

thanks so much, and sorry again if this is information previously discussed
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    my girlfriend just purchased recently a 2010 mazda 3 i touring auto for $17,622.00 plus TTT.so the edmunds invoice price is in the ballpark of what she paid.we are down here in south fla so it might also depend on what part of the country your in as well..
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited July 2010
    can someone please explain the (sometimes significant) discrepancy between the various prices found online?

Unfortunately, there will always be discrepancy's. If you plan to buy using the S-Plan price, Mazda dealers have to use that price, which is the invoice price. They are not allowed to change that price. Just ask to see the dealer invoice and you will see "splan" written on the bottom of the invoice, with the price next to it.

The destination charge is not negotiable. The destination is billed to the car, and the car is always negotiable.
  • gerrygerrygerrygerry Member Posts: 22
    Hi,

As a current owner of 3 Mazdas (208/2008/2010) let me tell you how its done. You can find the dealer's cost on this site or www.KBB.com. This will be your starting point.

You take the dealer's cost and subtract at least $1,500 from that. That is your target price before destination. Then you can allow them to add the destination charge. No window etching though as its a SCAM!!! You can get that done for free at your local police station!!!

So if the sticker is $20,000 and the dealer cost is $18,000 then you shoot for $16,500. Then add the destination fee.

I have been buying cars for years at or around $1,500 below the dealer cost. You have to work them over and over again. I bought a 2008 Honda Accord for $1,200 below.

Get your best internet price from any dealer that you actually dont want to buy from then give that price to the dealer nearest you that you do want to buy from. I negotiate my prices via email all the time and never do it in person.

Go get em!!!!!!!!!!!
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Aviboy,

I'm considering buying a 3S but I don't want the low profile tires. I tend to hit curbs a lot when parking which is not good for low profile tires plus the 16" wheels absorb bumps better and are better in snow. I care more about a smooth ride than better handling. A couple of dealers told me that I would have to pay for the wheels. As part of a new car purchase can't the dealer simply replace the 17" wheels and tires with 16s for no charge? They can sell the 17s as they will never have been used. The reason I want an S is that the I model with AT really strains to pass on the highway with the A/C on and two people in the car. .

Also, can the head restraints be moved forward. My back hurts in the 3's seats. If I use aback support it is fine but since back supports are 4.5 inches thick my head is too far from the head restraints.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful information. I've started emailing a few dealers and will see what they come up with.

Cheers
    As part of a new car purchase can't the dealer simply replace the 17" wheels and tires with 16s for no charge?

You will be hard pressed to find a dealer to do that. To buy the rims directly from Mazda is very expensive and unless the dealer already has a buyer for the even more expensive 17" rims, then the dealer will stand to lose a lot of money on the transaction. I know I would not buy rims and tires at no charge.

Also, can the head restraints be moved forward

They do not move forward. They are active head restraints, so they will not move.
    edited July 2010
    @lazyk - was that $17.5k including ttt? or was ttt additional? that seems like an amazing deal and i'd love to be able to quote it when i negotiate mine.

thanks
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Thanks. Is the suspension tuning on the S firmer than on the I? If I were to purchase the 16" rims and tires and ask the dealer to put them on the S would the S handle bumps like an I or would it still ride firmer?
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    If I were to purchase the 16" rims and tires
    Purchasing a new set of rims and tires can be pricey ($1000 to $2000). An alternative may be just to replace the tires and keep the rims; this would be less than half the cost mentioned above. Of course, the cheapest alternative is to keep both until you need to replace the tires (approximately 2 to 3 years).

p.s. It may also be worth checking to see if the tire pressure is set correctly to 32 psi. Some drivers bump up the pressure substantially (example to 35 - 40 psi). Hopefully, the car you test drove had its tire pressure set properly.
  • metro2metro2 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at a purchase of a s sport sedan with automatic and no options. I am using my s plan and getting a price of 19,277 and otd at 20,696. The S plan reduces 1100 off msrp.

The car price is below edmunds tmv and kbb. Considering S plan usage as well do the numbers make sense or should they be better?

Thanks for any input.
  • crashburn07crashburn07 Member Posts: 20
    gerrygerry, that is EXACTLY how I did it with my two 2010 Mazdas purchased this year! It totally worked. I got my s-Sport HB at $1400 under invoice and my i-Touring Sedan at $1100 under. Dealing over e-mail (NOT in person!) and getting itemized, "apples to apples" written quotes are key.

With the model year waning, it should be possible to do better, but color choices and option packages are also dwindling. Good luck to everyone on the buying end!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I'm getting $19,050 at TrueCar.com using my Atlanta zip code (should be within a $200 +/- depending on your location). Actually, if I click on the "Lowest Certified Price" for my area, it's only $18,978.

Your price of $19,277 is a pretty good deal, but there's still a few hundred dollars to be saved...if you're willing to haggle for it. It would be worth it to me, personally...but I'm a cheap SOB! =)

Note- the price you listed ($19,277) would be very close to bottom dollar if you choose the Crystal White Pearl exterior color...the CWP option adds $200 to the MSRP and $172 to invoice. (Personally, I'd much rather have the Gunmetal Blue Mica or Graphite Mica at no additional charge!)
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    What is splan?
    Looking at touring model with auto and so far getting $18200 plus TTT as best price with no other options, but trying to do better
  • dublin3dublin3 Member Posts: 5
    hi luragan,

sorry to dig up an old post, but i'm negotiating with ramsey for the same car right now (you have very good taste). were there any special incentives going on when you bought the car, other than the 0% financing? trying to figure out if i should aim for the same price.

thanks
  • noles200noles200 Member Posts: 49
    Paid $22894 + TTL with Moonroof/Bose, Tech Package and Wheel Locks. MSRP on the car was $25,835 so I feel like I got a good deal at about $3K off invoice.

Dealer Invoice was $24,378 (including destination). That's $1,394 off invoice which I though was pretty good. Of course the doc fees were $399 which I thought was about $200 too high but overall I thought it was a good enough deal to pull the trigger on, especially with 60 month 0%.

Side, note, dublin, is that Ramsey in NJ? I think there are other Mazda dealers in the area that you'll get a better price from.
  • nycantzmannycantzman Member Posts: 8
    So far best I have for at iTouring model is $17500 plus TTT. No options. In NY.

I think we can do a bit better maybe especially last 2 days of month.

Anyone received anything better than that in this area?

Thanks
    edited July 2010
    hey there,

that's about the best i've gotten so far as well, assuming no loyalty rebate, and i'm in nj. my lowest quote is somewhere very close to that, don't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

and by the way, alexwalex - s-plan is a program for employees of mazda and its supplies to buy at a discounted price without haggling, generally the invoice price, plus dealer fees, minus customer incentives and dealer incentives (i'm not positive though so any corrections are welcome)
    and by 'supplies', i mean 'suppliers'
  • jumpman23jjumpman23j Member Posts: 2
    How do you find out what the dealer cost is?
  • skvrskvr Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Pl forgive my poor english and ignorance on car shopping. Planning to buy mazda 3 i-touring from Minneapolis dealer. ( The reason I am buying this is - it has stability control feature).
    I do not want the absolute cheapest bargain but at the same time I do want to a fool too.
    Can one of you pl suggest what I should pay or negotiate. No other options are needed on the car.
    Thank you
    hello,iam also looking into a mazda 3 i touring with auto and no other options.down here in south fla the msrp for this vehicle is $19,500.00...the best quote iv'e gotten so far on this vehicle is $17,500.00 although it might depend on which part of the country your in also...supply and demand plays a big role..
  • lex_kyolex_kyo Member Posts: 2
    Hi, guys. I am just curious about this and wanna make sure before I buy a mazda 3 i touring.
    According to the Mazda webpage, 0% financing offer is explained like following.

0.0% APR for up to 60 MONTHS PLUS 0 monthly payments for 90 days
    60 MONTHS PARTICIPATING LENDER FINANCING AT $16.67 PER MONTH PER $1,000 FINANCED. 0.0% APR ONLY FOR WELL QUALIFIED BUYERS. NOT ALL BUYERS WILL QUALIFY. AMOUNT OF DOWNPAYMENT AND OTHER FACTORS MAY AFFECT QUALIFICATION.

Does this mean that they charge $16.67 for $1000 financed every month when the period is 60 months? If so, it is actually 1.66% APR for 60 months, not 0% APR, isn't it? If my understanding is right, then do I have to take 0% financing for 48 months instead of 60 months to get 0% APR? Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks.
  • noles200noles200 Member Posts: 49
    lex, if you take $1,000 and divide by 60 you get $16.67/mo over 60 months. A way to look at it is if you paid $16.67 per month you would have paid $1,000 in 60 months.

So, if you finance $10,000 you would pay $16.67 per $1,000 borrowed (16.67x10=$166.70 per month for 60 months). If you financed $20,00 (16.67x20=$333.40), etc.
  • joonthedukejoontheduke Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2010
    Hey there~

After days of researches and shoppings, I've finally got a new Mazda3 S Sport HB A/T! Though it does not go with any options, I'm pretty happy with it. And I paid $19,500 OTD ($21,230 MSRP) with 7% tax and got 0% 60mth.

Good way to buy a new car would be firstly dealing with dealers via email. Apple to apple comparison should be taken place. If possible, get the stock number (or VIN number). Share the quotes with other dealers. And you'll find that price quotes are going down and down as time goes by. Do not ask the others to match the price quote, but force them to beat it. Do this until they do not move down any further. I know they could go down much further, but I stop there for a while. They would contact you. And price goes down once again...hopefully.

Well, I'm not sure if my price is a good one to get, but I'm so happy with my new Mazda3~~~!
  • lex_kyolex_kyo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you noles for the reply.Now I understood.
    Congrats on the new MZ3! Even with no added options, the s Sport 5-door has all the features that most of us really need. I have a 2006 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door (5-speed manual, no options) and still love it after almost five years. The only options offered on mine were the Moonroof/6CD package and Leather Seats were also a separate option- never missed them a bit!

I've test driven a 2010 model twice in the last six months and keep thinking about trading in my '06. I drove the s 5-door in Sport and Grand Touring trim and, for me, the Sport is definitely the one I'll buy (if I can ever let go of my beloved '06 s 5-door). The Bose audio system didn't impress me enough to spring for the Moonroof/6CD/Bose Package and the Tech Package (Compact navigation, SIRIUS sat radio, Alarm, Push-button Start and Advanced Keyless Entry) doesn't interest me in the least. The standard s Sport 5-door is what I'll be getting.....my only dilemma is which color to pick! :) What color did you get?

As for the deal of $19,500, that's a very fair price according to Edmunds and TrueCar- one shows the best price as $19,512 and the other says $19,480. So your $19,500 sounds like a great deal and with the 0.9% financing, I'd say you got a GREAT DEAL! Congrats again!
    edited August 2010
    The s Grand Touring (GT) models base prices have increased by $750 for 2011, both body styles. The 2011 s Sport models base prices remain the same as 2010. The Technology Package has increased in price from $1195 to $1835. It is offered on both s Sport and s Grand Touring trim levels.

The following features are now standard for 2011 on the GT-
    Moonroof, Bose 10-spkr audio system and 6-CD changer

And the following features are no longer standard on GT models for 2011-
    Pivoting Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
    Bi-Xenon HID headlights with auto on/off capability
    Auto-leveling low and hi-beam headlights
    Clear-lens LED tail lights
    Rain-sensing wipers

The 2011 Tech Package adds the following features-
    Pivot Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
    Bi-Xenon HID Headlights (auto-leveling)
    Auto on/off headlights
    Clear Lens Rear Combination LED taillights
    Automatic Rain Sensing Wipers

So the s Sport can now be optioned with the Bi-Xenon headlights and LED taillights, in addition to rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlight control. The only features unique to the Grand Touring models now are leather interior, automatic climate control and the power driver's seat....and the illuminated visor vanity mirrors, and heated front seats and outside mirrors.

Addendum- the Technology Package can only be ordered on an s Sport with Automatic Transmission- if you want the Tech Pkg and 6MT, the GT is the only choice....

Thought I'd share....
    hi folks,went with a friend of mine today to our local mazda-kia dealership to purchase him a 2010 mazda 3 i touring with auto...he test drove the car and really liked the handleing but did not like the exessive road noise.car had standard features with no options to speak of.msrp was $19,575.00........then as we were walking back to the showroom he noticed a 2010 kia forte koup sx in blue on the kia lot adjoining the mazda dealership that sold both mazda and kia.anyway,he was shocked at how nice the car was compared to the mazda 3 he just test drove.and the msrp for the forte koup sx was $20,090.00..only 500 bucks more than the mazda 3 i touring that he was about to purchase.the forte koup sx had lots more features including 173hp motor compared to 148 in mazda 3.bluetooth,sat radio,power moonroof,usb port,better warranty.took the out fortekoup out for a test drive and forgot all about the mazda 3 and purchased the forte koup which absolutly blew the mazda 3 away in terms of performance,standard features,and warranty,and above all styling...
    just thought i'd update y'all since you helped me out so much. i ended up getting the i touring automatic in gunmetal blue, with bose/moonrood/6cd and wheel locks, for $19,000 OTD, including 7% sales tax and ~$300 title and registration. also, it turned out i was eligible for a $500 bonus rebate because my employer is associated with mazda, so that certainly helped make the price what it was. the car's fantastic!
  • DondohDondoh Member Posts: 9
    Hiya Fujia,
    My price was including everything.
    I got it at a local dealer who was running a special.
    Here I why I think we got it for that price.
    I think the advertised special was a teaser rate, but we wanted what they were teasing...
    We wanted a manual and we didn't want any extras past the itouring basics.
    It was also the end of the month and I think they needed to move some stock.
    The dealer is Bob King in Winston Salem, NC, so if you are close enough, you might want to keep an eye on their site and see the specials they run. They did try to work us upward on the price a bit, but my wife and I were firm in our dealings.
    We love the car so far.
    Hope you can get what you want.
    And sorry for the late reply, I just have not checked the boards lately.
    All the best to you.
  • skvrskvr Member Posts: 2
    HI ,
    I bought mazda 3 i-touring Auto . For 18000 + 1534 (TTL) = 19534. In twincities. No other options except the standard ones.
  • tronbombtronbomb Member Posts: 7
    Here are the details of a deal I'm considering for a Mazda3 i Touring (Automatic) with no other options, please tell me what you think:

16994.00 (Includes freight and -1000 for available rebates)
    99.00 processing fee
    546.98 Tax
    60.75 Tags
    ------------
    17700.73 - OTD
    is the $1000.00 rebate part of the mazda customer loyalty????
  • tronbombtronbomb Member Posts: 7
    500 for mazda loyalty
  • donnymccoydonnymccoy Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2010
    Hello. Thanks to knowledge gleaned from edmunds and truecar my last two new car experiences have been great. This is what I have:

2010 Mazda 3 iTouring 4dr Manual Transmission
    No options

Sale price + dest fee: 17,043 [no incentives applied to me]
    NYS Inspection: 20
    NYS Tire: 12.50
    NYS Doc: 97.50
    Tax: 1,460
    DMV: 200

I am estimating tag because I am switching from a commercial truck tag to a regular tag for this car. I don't know what cost will be yet.

So, my out the door price appears to be $18,833. With 0% for 60 months I plan to put nothing down and walk away with a payment of $314.

I keep trying to find the error here because this is lower than truecar for my area. I imagine the advertising fee built into the true car price may be part of this. I have a competing offer from another dealer another city for $17,283; so I'm thinking there is nothing missing here.

Can anyone see any problems here? I mean, this sounds like an incredible deal. So the pessimist in me is working overtime - where's the catch?
    hi donny,my girlfriend down here in south fla just purchased a 2010 mazda 3 i touring auto for $17,300.00 plus TTT....
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Where'd she buy it? We bought our '05 Mazda 3s across the street at Lou Bachrodt the end of June of '05 and got a great deal. Wife likes the new Mazda2 also, so she'll test drive both the 3 and the 2. Her '05 has been very reliable up to the last few months, so we'll start the search now. If the new 3 drives just like her 3s, she'll want it as hers is a very easy car for her to drive. Not sure she'd behappy with the less powerful 2, eventhough she says an engine the size of our kids Accent and Versa would be o k. But after driving the Accent yesterday, found it to anemic for my tastes and was glad to get back into my Civic.

Also test drove a C Class MB for her yesterday afternoon and it was awesome! Plenty of power and superb creature comforts even in the base model...she already tried the 3 series and liked it but I think she'd prefer the C better. Not sure how much she wants to spend either.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

purchased new mazda 3 i touring auto from gunther mazda-kia-vw..she's purchased several cars from there over the past several years starting with a 03 mazda protege so they gave her a great deal.....this makes the 4th car she has purchased from gunther so i guess that makes her a good custumer..must be nice to have the dealership across the street from where you live..makes getting the car serviced much easier....
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Took my daughters Accent there yesterday for an oil change/rotation/wash. Got there at 12:05 and was back home by 1:30...quick turn around time and 3 miles door to door. So far, Coconut Creek has treated us well even though they couldn't give us our price on a '09 Elantra for the other daughter. Will try again for a 2012 Elantra for the wife, as I don't like a 1st year model if I can help it. But very happy with the dealership up to now.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    So I'm really torn. There is a local Red 2010 Speed 3 that I would love to have, but it doesn't have the tech package. But, I wonder for those out there who have purchased this package on other vehicles if it is really worth it.
    Seems to me the biggest additions are an upgraged stereo, the navigation and push-button start. I like the first and third things, but have a portable GPS, so don't really need the second. The difference in price is about $1500 and I'm wondering if it's worth it. For me, it's either 21,600 for the Red one without it or around 23,000 for a gray one (not here by the way) with it.
    Has anyone got the upgraded stereo and been happy with it? I wish I could just get the push-button start but I understand everything is packaged.
  • mark12345mark12345 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a pearl white Mazda3 iTouring sedan with moonroof/Bose pkg for 18784 and 0%/60month financing, plus tax (8.5% in Cook Cty, IL), 154 doc fee, and license transfer.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Well known discount, posted price dealer in Maryland has a nice Mazda 3 S with an MSRP of about $21K that it will sell for about $18.3. The $18.3 price reflects a $500 Owner Loyalty Bonus. I did not purchase because of this. These Owner Loyalty Bonuses seem counter productive. Why would a customer agree to pay $500 more for a vehicle simply because they don't, currently, own a Mazda? It would seem to me that manufacturers who have a good product (I believe Mazda are good products.) would be at least as interested in attracting customers who might otherwise purchase a competing vehicle than they are with retaining current customers.
    Why would a customer agree to pay $500 more for a vehicle simply because they don't, currently, own a Mazda? It would seem to me that manufacturers who have a good product (I believe Mazda are good products.) would be at least as interested in attracting customers who might otherwise purchase a competing vehicle than they are with retaining current customers

It is up to the dealer to choose how they advertise the price. If they disclose that the $500 owner loyalty is included in their advertised price, there is nothing wrong with that. Remember, advertisements are meant to drive traffic. Mazda the manufacturer has nothing to do with the price advertised by that dealer. All Mazda advertises is available incentives and starting MSRP's.

I believe your issue is with that specific dealer, rather then the manufacturer. Personally, I don't think dealers should advertise with owner loyalty included. Unfortunately, many dealers of many different brands do this. Mazda is not the only company with owner loyalty incentives.

Come to think of it, Chrysler advertises lease specials for "returning lessee's". If you are not a returning lessee, you don't get the deal they advertise nationally. I think that's worse then what the Mazda dealer is doing.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Member Posts: 111
    Anyone have any thoughts on the chance Mazda will come out with some incentives for the Speed 3's still on lots now that the 2011's are fixing to roll out. I stopped by the local dealer who has a 2011 on order already, but a couple of '10s still on the lot.
    I seem to remember last year they had a $1500 incentive somewhere around this time, and I'm holding off until September because I think that might be the case. They only have a $500 dealer cash offer right now, so it's not that big a deal if that goes away.
  • bobacdigitalbobacdigital Member Posts: 10
    Trying to get into a 2010 Mazda MAZDA3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback with moonroof package in the next week or so... Trying to get some advice on the price im being quoted by various places...

Right now it looks like they are quoting:

22,630 MRSP
    -1,250 Dealer Cash (or 0% 60 months)
    -500 mazda loyalty reward

Most dealers in my area (Texas) are roughly in the ball park of the above figure, is there anything else im missing or can negotiate down on this price based on anyones prior experience?
  • gerrygerrygerrygerry Member Posts: 22
    Listen to me very carefully. You need to take the 1250 and 500 off the dealer's invoice (cost) and not their inflated MSRP. You are getting ripped off!!!

In my area the invoice is $19,187 so the math is $19.187 - $2,000 = $17.187. Then add their dest fee of + or - $750........

You should be able to walk into a dealer and say "I will buy any care on your lot for $2000 below your invoice and I still want the 0% financnig" "if you say not then FU I am leaving"

Its a game and if you will be destroyed if you do not learn how to play the game. How to control it.

Go get 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What area are you from, and how did you determine that invoice price? Is that based on just 2010 Mazda MAZDA3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback no upgrades?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    You can see the invoice right here on Edmunds.

But, please do not say "FU" to the dealer/salesperson. I also advise against stating "$2k below your invoice," because dealers have been known to produce inaccurate invoices.

You need to know your number ahead of time and offer that dollar amount exactly.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Too late they already threw me out...