Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• poetinsfpoetinsf Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just bought a new 3i touring from Star Mazda in Glendale and here is my experience.

I used Edmunds quote and several dealers responded for around $18500. I picked Star Mazda because Greg seemed most straightforward and credible. I mentioned about $250 lender bonus money that Edmunds shows as a customer rebate. He told me the APR Cash (the lender bonus) would bring it down to $18259. I eventually negotiated another $100 down. Great deal, especially given 0% financing, right?

He had to do a dealer swap to get the car that I wanted. When I came in to sign, he said he couldn't honor $100 off from the original deal that we negotiated because it was a dealer swap. Fine, he did the work, and it was worth $100. I was tired with sickness and this distracted me enough that I failed to notice missing $250 lender rebate. (Yeah I know, it was my fault). I called Greg to ask him about it, and he mumbled something about $18259 with lender rebate was for the cash purchase only. (No, it didn't make sense to me either). I sent him a polite email explaining our deal and that $250 lender rebate should've been given to me. Greg responded saying that he talked it over with the general manager, and the rebate was a dealer money so they were keeping it, and that he has no recollection of mentioning $18259.

The obvious lesson that everybody know and I forgot temporarilly: review all papers carefully before signing and cross check with the original deal regardless how much you trust the guy. Too bad, it would've been a clean and effortless deal, mostly done over the Net and phone if it weren't for this lender rebate snafu.
  • bobgreen5sbobgreen5s Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I recently emailed a dealer proposing to pay $17,700 (destination fees included) for a 2012 Mazda MAZDA3 i Sport (automatic). He pretty much immediately responded that he could do this price, despite it being $23 less than the invoice. Is this a good price? Could I do better?

Thanks
  • poetinsfpoetinsf Member Posts: 2
    The car is soon to be one year old and you should be able to do better than a few bucks below invoice. Try Edmunds Dealer Quotes. Most of mine for 3i touring w/ skyactiv came at $700+ below invoice and I was able to negotiate $1100 below including the lender bonus. Except that the dealer reneged on $350 of that money, so I ended up with $750 below. The dealers are still calling me to give them a chance to match or beat it.
  • djens1djens1 Member Posts: 2
    Depending on how much you drive, what the price difference may be, and your expected financing term, you may want to consider the iTouring w/Skyactiv. The fuel savings may make the monthly price of the touring pretty close to the Sport.

Back to your question though, I would certainly think you COULD get a better price from them if they accepted your offer so readily. Now that they know you were willing to pay 17.7k though, they might not be willing to negotiate. You could try to contact them again from a new e-mail and supply only your first name.

Another option, if you do have the luxury of having multiple mazda dealers around, is to get them to compete with one another. E-mailing the other dealerships and asking them to beat 17.7k can get your price down at the original dealership.
  • bobgreen5sbobgreen5s Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help djens1 and poetinsf. I ended up paying $16,500 base and $18,200 OTD when you include taxes and fees. If it wasn't for you guys I would've payed at least a thousand dollars more.

Thanks again, David
  • seestarsseestars Member Posts: 4
    I contacted two dealers in Bay area for quoting Mazda3 i-sport automatic.
    Invoice=$16,928 MSRP=$17,695

I got two quotes - $16,295 and $15,988. Plan to nego with $16,295 dealer and bring it down to ~$15,900.

0% APR 36months or $199/month 36mo lease deal is available.
    1. is $15,900 good deal?
    2. Any comment on which finance option is better deal?

Thanks!
  • buidoibuidoi Member Posts: 3
    Hi poetinsf,
    I am planning to get 3i touring. Would you please tell more about the options you have. Is that Auto Transmission or Manual... How much out of the door.
    Thanks
  • tkinseoultkinseoul Member Posts: 1
    3i touring doesn't have much option, and mine was a stick. The deal I made was $1100 below invoice, but ended up with $750 below. Make sure you get all deals in writing (email), else they'll find ways to chip off when you walk in. You should be able to do at least $1000 below invoice for this soon to be year old car. Good luck!
  • alfievalfiev Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a Skyactiv stick best price. So far was able to find i Touring for 18157.32 OTR as best end of July price. Price included 6% sales tax, tags, title, tire tax, dealer costs, destination fee and this was itemized. It also included 500 dollar Mazda loyalty rebate.
    Looking for end of August pricing - What do you forsee?
    I know that the leased Skyactivs with low miles will be coming soon, so I am in no huury to buy. The depreciation loss is better served on the car lots than my driveway.

Alfie
  • phidsphids Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the market for an iTouring AT 4dr in the Atlanta area. Was given a price of $16594 before taxes and fees, and am wondering if this is the in ballpark for a purchase.
  • zombies8mezombies8me Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, considering an OTD price of $17,500 on a 2012 4d iSport automatic in New England. Backing out the 6.25% tax and $125 title gets me to about $16,352 for the car alone (inclusive of destination, ad and doc fees).

According to TrueCar, this is roughly $2,100 off MSRP, $1,600 off factory invoice, $330 off dealer cost and $1,300 off average paid this week.

According to Edmunds, this is roughly $680 off TMV.

Strikes me as a little high compared to what you guys are seeing, but any thoughts welcome.
  • zonecarzonecar Member Posts: 17
    Hi all,
    I am planning to purchase a white mazda 3 HB i touring AT and include the moonroof/bose package. I am in North Cal, any members here had recent buying experience? Please provide me dealership and price (including OTD). Watch is the most likely OTD price I can get.
    Thanks and much appreciate
    What color did you bought? Can you please provide the dealership and agent name? I am in market for one very soon.
  • nakta139nakta139 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a silver Mazda 3 HB i touring AT for 22,000 OTD in FL.
    I think I did ok.
  • ride_n_flyride_n_fly Member Posts: 2
    Hey there,
    Im looking to buy a Mazda3 i Touring, would prefer a HB but would take a the 4d if i need to.

first time buying a car- PLEASE tell me ASAP if you think i could do better.

he is offering me $21402 OTD(inc taxes, plates ect) for the hatch and a $250-350 incentive depending how i pay for it.

he is offering me $19664 OTD for the 4D

I'm sure he can do better, but i'm not sure how much better and i dont know what angle to approach at. this is my first car i'm buying.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    edited August 2012
    $21402 OTD(inc taxes, plates ect) for the hatch and a $250-350 incentive depending how i pay for it... $19664 OTD for the 4D

$1750 more for the hatch ... why that much? Even with the "incentive" it seems high. Between a similarly equipped HB and a 4D sedan the difference should be around $1K (or less if you can get it).
  • juliankryejuliankrye Member Posts: 52
    Not sure of your location but they can definitely do better. I got an offer in writing of $19,800 OTD for Mazda 3 i Touring, HB Auto Transmission SkyActiv (MSRP 21,000). One of the dealer's question was whether I own a Mazda, and I do not.

I think they can go lower than this though, I am in North Jersey, if you're in the area we can probably work together and buy two at a lower price (Think WAYNE). I am looking for 19K OTD on Mazda # Auto HB. Best of luck, Julian
  • ride_n_flyride_n_fly Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Chicago. What is your sales tax? ours is 10%

Ive been looking and dealing with four dealers, two of which are out of state, none of them will go below 20K on this car. Im about to say forget it, just give me the damn sedan. best offer on sedan 19500, best offer om HB 21400
  • ppm1ppm1 Member Posts: 1
    In the market for a 2012 Mazda i Touring Manual.

I've gotten the dealer to quote me for 16,500$ (so ends up being ~18,000$ OTD in California).

I think its a pretty good deal, but was just wondering if anyone thinks there will be further significant price drops due to the new 2013 models? or should I pull the trigger now?

Thanks
    Also in the market for Mazda 3 i Touring HB AT, but I am thinking to wait for the 2013 models.
    multi-information display, USB port, keyless entry, push start, and auto climate control are all going to be standard on i touring models for 2013.

The only issue I am concern is that whether the 2013 models are build in Japan or Mexico.
  • vagrantvagrant Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    hey guys, this is what I got offered from a dealer for a Mz3 S-Grand Touring (5 door) with tech package:

MRSP: $26,395
    Internet discount $3,134
    Price = $23,261 (before reg/doc fees + tax)

I was able to qualify for 0% apr as long as I could put $3k down.

Is this a good price for a 2012 model considering depreciation + 2013 models are coming out soon?
  • thedreamerthedreamer Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Got this brand new mazda last week at a dealer in MD.

$21,863 plus doc tax tags with zero down and 0%APR for 60mos, no payment for 90 days.

Did not get the loyalty incentive even though the fine print states "transferable within the household".
  • nsmith138nsmith138 Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my 3i Hatch last week in South FL.
    Walked in and offered 17k with supporting paperwork showing I could get it for that elsewhere. They took it on the spot. After taxes, fees, maintenance plan, and gap it came out 21,600. I think I did pretty well.
    Things pretty quick. A lot of fun to drive!
  • wantakillwantakill Member Posts: 1
    ppm1,

I'm in the market for Mazda 3 i Touring Manual also in CA.
    Can you please tell me the dealership name that offer you the 18k OTD.

Thanks,
  • shamreshamre Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    i just bought mazda 3 i grand touring in lehman for 20500 after all the tax tag fees 22650
    i love the car and manual mode is much quicker but i bought it for mpg
    devin martin sale man make it happen in less then 1hr.
  • shamreshamre Member Posts: 3
    from 17000 to 21600 - 4600

i paid grand touring (only auto)

20500 to 22650 - 2150 from lehman mazda -sales man devin martin
  • mojojohnmojojohn Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    I got an offer for this model with wheel lock and cargo net for 19K OTR...it was priced at 20,345 msrp. is this a good deal?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    mojojohn- is this the 4-door sedan or 5-door hatchback?

To evaluate whether $19k OTD is a good deal, I need to know how mcuh of that $19k is sales tax? Also, where do you live (what state)? Incentives and discounts vary from one region to another and often vary from state to state.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    It looks like the 2012 Mazda3 i Touring 4-door Automatic matches the $20,345 MSRP that you metioned, so I'm assumign that is the one you're talking about. The best price I can get here in Georgia is $17,835 plus TTT (tax, tag & title).

We have a pretty hefty 7% sales tax that will add $1248.45 to the $17,835, for a total of $19,083.45 plus tag and title fees, which will make it about $19,150 OTD (out-the-door).

But most states have lower sales tax rates for vehicles than us. For example, the Sales Tax rate is 8.0% in Hoover, Alabama (Birmingham suburb) but the Sales Tax rate for Automobile sales is only 3.375%!

If they didn't have the special automotive rate, the sales tax on this vehicle would be $1426.80 (at the regular 8% rate). But at the special automotive tax rate of 3.375%, the sales tax was only $601.93 based on $17,835 seeling price.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • mojojohnmojojohn Member Posts: 2
    I'm from maryland..we have a 6% sales tax. yes the model you mentioned
    is the one I'm looking at.
  • jobaumjobaum Member Posts: 1
    Just got the Mazda3 Hatchback i Grand Touring for 23,850 OTD in Florida. I think I got a great deal!

In order to get me to 0% financing for 60 months with no payments for 90 days I had to put 2,000 down, my credit score wasn't quite high enough.

I also traded in a junky 2002 Mitsubishi Galant 106k miles (side view mirror was taped on and had no door handle on driver side, and paint was awful and rusty etc...) and the highest I could get them to give me for it was $500, so I asked them to throw in window tints on the new Mazda, and they agreed.

Overall I'm happy!
    I was able to buy a 2012 Mazda3 iTouring skyactiv AT 4dr in Georgia a few weeks ago for about $18,300 OTD, so I know you can go lower if you are in the Atlanta area.
    I was able to buy a 2012 Mazda3 iTouring skyactiv AT in Georgia a few weeks ago for about $18,300 OTD, so I know you can go lower if you are in the Atlanta area.
  • drtutudrtutu Member Posts: 1
    that's a great deal! would you plz tell me which dealership did you get your Mazda3? Thanks!!!
    I got it at Hennessey Mazda just south of Atlanta. You may only get that price through a program associated with truecar.com so you may want to check that out.
    I assume this was a 4 door sedan not the HB, correct? Thanks Julian
  • zigrazigra Member Posts: 1
    Internet price $18,898
    Romero Mazda in Ontario, CA

I need to say that the internet salesperson, Tracy Benjamin was an absolute pro. Bar none, best automotive sales experience I've ever had. I'm sure haggling over emails makes everything more pleasant, but she handled the explanations and paperwork painlessly and effortlessly. :shades:
    Yes, that is correct. The lowest HB price I could find was around $1500 more than the sedan price. Although I liked the HB better (cargo space, looks better), I couldn't personally justify paying that much more for it. Besides, the HB gets slightly worse gas mileage, so the sedan made more sense for me.
  • cmendo2005cmendo2005 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys I was looking at a basic mazda 3 i sport. I was being offered about 16k for the mazda3 and a 2k trade in for a pretty terrible car. I was wondering if that seems like a decent deal right off the bat without the haggling? Also he told me they would do the X plan for ford workers, any way I would be able to find out how much of a discount that might be?
  • countertop4countertop4 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to all for the valuable information posted. Got a quote of $18.770 OTD for a 2012 auto i skyactive sedan yesterday. MSRP was 20,400. In PA we have 6% sales tax. I also got 0% interest for 60 months and didn't have to put any money down. My joy has been short lived by seeing the upgrades to the 2013 models. I saw the new pricing schedule for the 2013 models and even though the increases are small, my guess is that customers will be paying a premium for these models, at least initially. I was impressed with my test drive and I own a 2004 s 5 speed and a 2007 s GT auto, so I could really notice the changes. I really like the Indigo color. I don't need to buy now, so I have to decide if I want to go for the 2012 at maybe a better price or wait for the 2013. Tough call! Any thoughts or just a matter of preference? Thanks!
    Countertop4, which dealer was this is PA? thanks julian
    edited August 2012
    The dealer is North Penn Mazda. I had a positive experience there a few years ago. Hope this helps. I think I read that they are the fourth largest Mazda dealership east of the Mississippi. Loads of inventory there to choose from. Good luck.
  • johnarizonajohnarizona Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for all the posts. They were very useful in helping me determine the fair price to expect to pay. I bought a 2012 Mazda 3 Automatic i Touring Sedan for $17,400 OTD. No sales tax for OR. MSRP was $20,345. Most dealerships have lots of them in stock, so the price should continue to come down.
  • fab0011fab0011 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Hello,

Can anyone please advise if the below information is a good deal? This information is based off of 0.0% financing. 6.25% tax in Texas.

MSRP = $20,945.00

Price: $19,845
    Tax: $1,613.76
    Inventory Tax: $82.62
    Doc Fee: $199
    Title: $37.50
    License: $72.30
    Inspection: $23.75

Total = $21, 873.93 OTD
    I have to agree with johnarizona's comment about high dealer inventory of Mazda 3. I've checked many dealerships in se pa and they have not gone down much and there seem to be a huge inventory. It seems that the msrp was significantly lower when the 2012 model first came out, so maybe the supposed price drop isn't as great as it seems, just a marketing tactic. Has anyone else gotten a little nervous after researching transmission problems with the skyactive models? Maybe it is just the normal first year gliches, but I don't like to be a guinea pig, especially since this will be my first new car. I held off and am waiting to see what happens when the 2013 models come out. Anyone know when that will be?
    When I discussed Skyactiv with the Mazda dealer, he said they were going to start putting it in other models over the next few years, which suggests it's a solid technology. I did not see the kind of consumer complaints about the Skyactiv transmission you speak of when I did my research. I can tell you that I am getting mid- to upper-30 mpg driving my 3 I got a few weeks ago (mostly highway), which is quite nice on the wallet.
  • balthazar9balthazar9 Member Posts: 19
    countertop4,

Does that quote include or exclude the $1,500 dealer cash? I believe you have to pick either the 0% APR or $1,500 dc, but i just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
    The price was 17,900 minus 500 mazda loyalty, which brought it to 17,400. With 6% tax and prep charges it came to 18,770. I also qualified for 0% interest for 60 months and could have financed the entire amount. My guess is these kinds of deals will continue. I saw more complaints about the manual trans that the automatic. The bad part is that as much as I love Mazda vehicles, I have to admit I've read numerous accounts of Mazda not standing behind their products even when the fault is clearly theirs. Of course they are not alone in this, but still it is frustrating.
  • toospicytoospicy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Dealer has a 2012 mazda 3 touring manual with skyactiv for $16K + TTL= Which will probably be around $17.4K OTD.

Is this a good deal?
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    I'd say that is a good deal but is that taking into account using Mazda financing or other lenders? My local Mazda dealer has 2 no haggle prices for their cars. Some of their Touring manual models are priced as low as $15598 but that's only if you take the financing from other lenders. Their best price with the 0% or 1.9% financing was $16848.