Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• countertop4countertop4 Member Posts: 11
    Just saw on Edmunds that marketing support is at $350, down from $1500 for last month. The dealers in my area, se PA have all increased their prices $500. Early prices on 2013 models I've received are 250-850 under MSRP. So come the end of the month will I have to admit I lost a gamble and pay the extra 500 or do you think I can get it for what it was offered to me in Sept.? Any idea where the prices are going on 2012 models come November? Did Mazda 3 reach the bottom in September? Maybe since 2013's are not discounted much they think there will be a big demand for 2012's, thus the slight price increase. So where is the extra support coming from since Mazda cuts back from 1500 to 350 yet price increase is only 500? I'm sure you experienced buyers know the answer to this one. So, buy now or wait? Thanks!
  • icherubicherub Member Posts: 3
    It's worse than that. The $1,500 was an alternative incentive to Mazda financing; the $350 is tied to it. So, if you have your own or don't qualify for the 0% and don't want the rate the dealer comes up with, you lose even the $350.

This is a bold move considering that the 2013's are now out and the lots are still packed with 2012's.
  • dyoht5dyoht5 Member Posts: 3
    The dealers I'm negotiating with haven't increased the quoted OTD. One in fact said the incentives "were not increased". I'm sure they would let me know if the incentive decreased.

As you said, the lots are full. I'll wait it out.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I just checked out the 2013 on the Mazda website and it looks like the 6-speed Manual Transmission is now standard on the i Grand Touring!!! The 2012 was only offered with the 6-speed Automatic, which is now optional! Just FYI!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • robinbillingsrobinbillings Member Posts: 3
    The $350 cash can be used WITH 0% APR.

Previously it was either 0% OR $1500.
    According to dealers I've been getting quotes from recently, it seems there is $1,500 without Mazda special (0%) financing or $350 with it. All have given quotes on this basis.
  • dyoht5dyoht5 Member Posts: 3
    "it seems there is $1,500 without Mazda special (0%) financing or $350 with it."

ditto.
  • tex78tex78 Member Posts: 1
    Don’t know about specific incentives, but I just purchased a new white Mazda3 iTouring AT on Oct 4th for $17,300. Was going to wait for the end of December specials on a 2013 model, but it doesn’t sound like there are going to be any significant changes on the 2013 iTouring models, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Felt like a good deal to me. :)
    I bought my 2012 i Touring with auto trans for $17,400 with outside financing. Not as good as $17,300, especially given that white bumps the price up by $200 over the one I bought, but not bad. With patience, and near the end of the month, $17,000 should be the norm (some dealers are currently advertising deals that are the equivalent of around $17,200 already).
  • paw9paw9 Member Posts: 3
    Trying to figure out if I found a good deal here in Florida. Car is a new 2012 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring sky blue. It has a "no haggle" sale price of 22214. I looked at TMV here, Cars.com and KBB and this looks like a pretty fair price. They gave me a printout of govt fees, taxes and doc fees. All looks reasonable except for crazy high $650 document fee which I will have to negotiate. Thoughts?
  • catspawzcatspawz Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know what a fair price for a 2013 hatchback/auto Mazda 3 i Touring should be?
    Is it the 4-door or 5-door? Automatic or Manual? Any options?
  • paw9paw9 Member Posts: 3
    igzoomzoom:

It is an automatic, 5 door. Standard grand touring options with tech package and Florida-legal window tinting.
  • jpvansmithjpvansmith Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2012
    Looking for a new 2012 Mazda i touring manual six speed.(Sedan/four door) I was wondering what price point should I aim for when trying to make a deal? Are most of the listed prices after destination and dealer fees?
    Every source that I checked (TrueCar, CarsDirect, Edmunds, KBB) show a fair price of $23,300 and up (in the Florida market). So the no haggle price you mentioned sounds pretty darn good!

BTW, they dropped Sky Blue Mica from the color choices for the 2013 model. =( It was my personal favorite.

Hope it works out for you!
  • jtdmakjtdmak Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2012 Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback MT this weekend for $17,425 (includes destination fee) + TTL. I probably could have waited until the end of the month for a better deal but in my area there were not a lot of skyactiv manuals left.
  • raylionraylion Member Posts: 4
    Which version of the Mazda3 do you guys recommend?
    It depends on you. If you need a hatchback get the hatchback. IF you don't save the money and get the sedan. If you can find 2012 you will save a little money but it might hurt you later if you plan to trade in the car. Manual transmission is best imho. If you like good gas mileage pick up one with a skyactiv engine.
  • tobymtobym Member Posts: 7
    Looks like a great deal! Which dealership did you get from? Did you get the $500 owner loyalty rebate?
  • jtdmakjtdmak Member Posts: 2
    No I did not get the $500 loyalty rebate. The dealer was marin mazda in the bay area.

I have been driving the car for a week and absolutely love it!
    edited November 2012
    Picked up a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv Sedan Six Speed Manual for 16700 out the door. In my area this price includes sales tax of nearly 1000 dollars. I did not receive either of the 500 dollar rebates.(Loyalty nor Military)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    What was the sticker price on your car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

MSRP was 18700, with destination charges 19,495. About 1200 of what I paid was taxes and tag etc.
  • robinbillingsrobinbillings Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2012
    Bought a 2012 Mazda 3 iTouring Automatic 4-Door Sedan at the end of Oct.

16,750 sale price -- came to 18,200 out the door.

The only incentive included was dealer cash.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Which model has it ? I don't want to put one in?
    Ty :shades:
  • rph07rph07 Member Posts: 1
    $16,750 is a really good deal. Where and what dealership?
  • dmkyungdmkyung Member Posts: 2
    Picking up a new Blue Mazda 3 iTouring HT Auto today. It has Wheel lock and all weather mat option

MSRP: 21,100
    Final Price: 18,750
    OTD: 20,374.XX (60month @ 0%)
    Not sure if this is true, but I heard that dealer incentives have gone up by 500 dollars from 1500 to 2000. So prices should be at least 500 better than last month.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are in the process of car shopping, using online forums and tools and plan to visit a dealer soon, a reporter would like to hear from you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Tuesday, November 13, 2012 and provide a few lines about your experience so far.
  • spegheadspeghead Member Posts: 3
    First time car buyer here. In socal there is maybe 1 or 2 2012 mazda 3 hatchback manual trans. available. Lowest quote OTD is $19,364! For the sedan it is OTD for $17,930! I was hoping to get the hatch for somewhere in the mid $17k but the stock is so low that it is not going to happen. Anyone have recent buying experience in southern california? Need some advice...
  • fnajifnaji Member Posts: 6
    I am in the process of buying an automatic 2012 Mazda 3 sedan, my current offer is $16,800...should I be able to get lower?
    Personally I wished it was required that all prices must be out the door. I understand how it is difficult as taxes might be a little complex in some areas, but it would be nice.

It is difficult to help with numbers as their are so many which the 16,800 might be. Is it a sport or i Touring model? Does it include destination? Does it include cash back offers like military and loyalty? Does the dealer have a dealer charge? Does it have any extras like the tech package? If you can find someones deal from end of last month it should be about 500 dollars lower this month. SO looking from last months most recent price of 16700(everything but the taxes) for an i touring auto sedan you should be able to hit 16200 if you waited until the end of the month. Would you be upset if they ran out of cars before then?
    Honestly, if waiting until the end of the month gets me down to 16,200 (everything but tax) on the i Touring auto sedan, that is what I will be aiming for. If they run out, then that's that; I'll simply look for a different vehicle.
    You could always tell them what you are willing to pay. Just say you will pay 16200+tax, tag and title.(I often mislabel it as just as tax) I would look at maybe the next two nearest dealerships and let them know what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. I had more questions are you financing the car through Mazda or outside source? If you are financing through them that is a pretty good price. I think the current discounts are 2000 with outside financing 500 with Mazda 0%.(making it kinda not 0% as you are prepaying interest) IF you current have a Mazda you get another 500 off, Military another 500 off.

Normally dealers/salemen are into moving cars at the end of the month.(some dealerships have contests for who sells the most cars so end of month they might be jockeying for position, dealers also might have a number they want to hit to get a good deal from the car maker or get a better lot of cars) So normally the best deals are at the end of the month. IF last months deals with 1500 incentive hit 16700+tax, tag and title you should be able to hit at least 500 better I would think. The other issue is how many 2012 you see on the lot if they have very few they will be less likely to deal as they are still well below the 2013 prices.

Money no object I would have liked to have waiting until the 2014/2015 Mazda as I am hopeful they will improve skyactiv(they have some neat features in overseas cars not available in NA yet) that or a skyactiv-d model. I still think the 2012 Mazda 3s are a great deal in the 16000 range(automatics). Sometimes you simply need a new car today, if that is the case consider the extra 500 a time savings and move on and don't beat yourself up over it.
    I am financing through them at 0% (not entirely sure how to go about getting outside financing). As far as miscellaneous discounts go, neither military nor loyalty apply to me.

Hopefully towards the end of the month they start yielding a bit more on the price...and supposedly around thanskgiving/black friday is a decent time for the buyer as well...?

I don't imagine I'll be waiting for the 2015 model, but I'm curious...what are these 'neat features' found only in overseas cars?
  • abangabang Member Posts: 44
    That's the lowest price I was offered so far. That seems high, especially when I'm hearing that dealers are getting $1500 to $2000 holdback? What would be a fair price?
  • abangabang Member Posts: 44
    Dealer called me and said Mazda is offering another $250 off through end of November, 2012.
    Is that on all Mazda vehicles or..?
  • mazda3hb2012mazda3hb2012 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2012 Mazda3 hatchback i Grand Touring w/tech package for $22,101, plus tax and tags. No rebates. This is a good deal, right? I hope so!

MSRP: $25,345
    Price: $22,101
    Total OTD: $23,667

If I had qualified for the rebates, I could have gotten an even better deal, but I really can't complain. I think I lucked out because this dealer happened to have multiple 2012 iGT HBs in stock, and they were eager to reduce inventory.

The dealer knocked off the $795 freight charge for Black Friday to get to my final price. Not sure how many dealers are doing this, but if you find one with excess inventory and don't mind settling for the 2012, you could get a great deal this week.
  • rkjindalrkjindal Member Posts: 12
    No options added to the car. With the 2013's coming I guess they didn't want it sitting on the lot too long. I didn't qualify for military or loyalty otherwise that would have been another $1,000 off. The new features on 2013's were nice but I couldn't justify the price difference.

Sales Price Including Freight 16,395
    Dealer Processing 200
    Tax/Tag/Tittle/VA Tax 605
    OTD 17,200
    In Southern California there are a couple dealers offering their excess 2012 Manual Sedan i Touring for thousands of dollars off. $14,900 with all incentives. Seems like a good deal to whoever wants this trim?

I am after a manual hatchback and there are only two left in SoCal right now. One dealer wants $19,000 before ttl the other wants $18,500. Any suggestions? It's almost as much as the 2013 lol. I'm dead set on a hatchback
    Did you pay cash or finance? If financing, what rate did you get?
  • rkjindalrkjindal Member Posts: 12
    We financed through the dealership and got 1.94%. As soon as the first bill comes I plan to refinance with my credit union at 1.79% and they will even give me $250 to do so.
    edited November 2012
    quick question. 2012 mazda 3. The dealer last night said we qualified for 2.9% APR.. we also qualified for 0% but the car would be $1,000 more expensive he said thats just how the manufacture incentives work. Is this wrong? Shouldn't the car be $500 more if I took the 0%? I want to get the facts straight before I bother calling them since I already purchased the car
  • thusidiethusidie Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in a 2012 Manual Sedan i Touring. Could you give me the contact info for those Southern Cal dealers?
  • trickerytrickery Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Getting the Grand Touring model in my area in South Texas was really really difficult. Had to take a greyhound 130 miles and a taxi to go pick up my car once I actually found it. Locally they did not have the color I wanted and were charging $3000 more if you can believe it! Well worth the $37 bus ticket and the $50 taxi ride.

Selling price is $23,150.00
    Inventory tax 52.69
    Doc fee 162.00
    Licence 69.25
    Title 33.00
    Inspection 23.75
    Taxes 1446.88
    Total Drive-out Price: $24,937.57

Plus they threw in the interior blue lighting, mats, cargo net and wheel locks for free.

Legend Mazda in San Antonio was easy, was in and out in about 2-3 hours. Half of that time was fighting with Progressive. Since the VIN was so new, it kept showing up in their system as a 1983 Mazda instead of a 2013. *shrug* Had to use some workaround of changing the VIN number when inputting it at first then correcting it in the system later. Caused a kerfuffle with the manager making sure they were covered liability wise if I plowed into someone right off the lot. They talked to Progressive directly and finally got it solved.

Great first time car buying experience. Found someone there that was willing to give me the prices upfront via e-mail, shopped around, and once I found they were the best price I e-mailed the dealership exactly what I wanted, like removing their stupid dealer badge before I even got there and having all the other accessories I wanted ready to be installed. They had the car up front waiting for me the moment I walked in. A quick test drive and then off to do the paperwork to seal the deal.

Didn't experience any up-selling, which surprised me for sure. I'm guessing it was maybe because I wasn't a local. Had a 1.99% loan check from my credit union, we signed it and the rest of the paperwork and I was off to have a mini vacation in down town San Antonio during the festival of lights!

Really recommend the Segway tours! :)
  • thusidiethusidie Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2012 Mazda 3/ no additional options.

15,727.00 for car
    1,545.79 tax and docs

17,272.79 out the door.
    Could you clarify? ie: what trim level/color/body style was this vehicle, and in what area did you make the purchase?
  • stephen16823stephen16823 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at a 2012 Mazda3 i touring 6-speed manual. The Edmunds "TMV" price is right around $17200. Dealer is pricing the car at $17365 but insists that his price includes the $1500 dealer incentive and says the price will be 18865 if I take the 0% financing. I already know this is party BS because he still gets $350 if I take the 0%.

So, the question is, does Edmunds "TMV" price use the $1500 incentive that is in lieu of financing? Or is it reasonable to get to $17200 and still use the 0%?
  • coolgdeltacoolgdelta Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    I have an offer for 2012 mazda 3 i touring automatic 16000