Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guskimguskim Member Posts: 112
    I fully realize Toyota came out with the Corolla in 2002, as a 2003 model. It still puts a redesign not showing up until 2007. The new Honda Civic is closer to reality, but not until 2006 (showing up in late 2005)...

So case in point, Mazda 3 for a 1-2 years won't have any major Japanese competitors coming out with a big redesign. The time is ripe for a hefty price increase for the 2005 Mazda3 in Canada (arriving this fall) , if they so choose.
  • oldmonkoldmonk Member Posts: 38
    Hi Harry,
    Can you tell me which dealer in the bay area did you get it from?

Congrats on your purpchase. You have got an awesome deal!
  • barlobarlo Member Posts: 23
    I was just wondering amerstshore if you checked any other dealers near by in Woodstock or Stratford for a deal. I am also from London and was wondering if worth while to shop around.

Thanks
    Barlo
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    locating in the northeast has been a big problem and it has caused a big shortage....the reason has to due with emissions. NY, Mass, ME and I think VT are CAL emissions states...the other New England states and surrounding states are not....mazda decided not to ship cal emission cars to non CAL boarder states until later this year.. So, it makes swapping very difficult. Also, you can not buy a non CAL car and register it in CAL states...

so those of you doing your own locates need to take this into consideration.

Also, those of you doing factory orders, be prepared to wait 3-4 months. Remember, 4-6 weeks of that is shipping from japan and port processing.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    But then again, I want the 5-speed. And in red or titanium. With the airbag package. And the moonroof. And not much else.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Your dealer must be the problem. The EXACT options and color you want is in stock in Chicago area at multiple dealerships. Your choice of Red or Titanium, both are in stock. There is a large stock of 3's in the Chicago area. Which dealer are you working with?
    Don't be so quick to bad mouth the dealer....are you aware that the consumer located posts the cars when they are ordered by the dealer not when they arrive at the dealership?

So with the MZ3 the cars are posted on the consumer locater 3-4 months before they arrive at the dealership. The dealers have access to a "live" locater which is much more detailed.
    Please explain to me how the dealer is not the problem when the car is available and the dealer can not locate it or is unwilling to dealer trade? I know for a fact that the cars are at dealerships and not in route. Dealer having access to more detailed information is another reason that leads me to think the dealer is the problem, they likely know of additional cars that I am unaware of.
  • harrymccrackenharrymccracken Member Posts: 4
    ...and while the price was indeed good, I wouldn't exactly rush back there to buy my next car. I got the typical pricing tricks and high-pressure salesmanship, and when I went back to pick up the car today, they said they were finishing up detailing it--then drove it out *coated* in bird droppings. They eventually admitted they'd need 45 minutes to an hour to get it ready; it really took an hour and a half, and they kept telling me they were going to drive it around momentarily. Once I got it, I had the sense they hadn't exactly gone over it with a fine-tooth comb: The navigation system began to talk to me in French...

But yes, the price was good and the car itself has been a joy so far...and I'm a relative newcomer to the bay area who doesn't know if there's a better Mazda dealer nearby (I wasn't impressed by Putnam, who had marked up all their 3s by $2000 above sticker).

-- Harry
    Have you actually touched theses cars or are you just going by the locater? if your just going by the locater, tell me the dealer name and I will look on the dealer locater.

also, don't forget the car is new and hot for mazda...it may not be the selling dealer who is the problem. If a dealer calls me to swap one of my cars and the dealer calling does not have what I want back....tough luck, no swap. Dealers are not in business to fulfill other dealers orders.
    Don't assume I'm just going by locator;) I've looked upon exactly the car tired desires yesterday while the dealership was closed and verified the actual existence of two more via phone. I was bored and trying to be helpful.
    Dealer trades are very, very common in the Chicago area due to the large number of dealerships. It would be a surprise to me if a dealer was unable to trade for a car available at multiple dealerships and the Ma3 is in ample supply in Chicago. I've worked in the auto sales business both as a dealership employee and on my own, I do not claim to be an expert though I am knowledgeable.
    If tired does not receive desired results at current dealer, go elsewhere.
    Did I mention that I was looking for an S sedan? The closest one to me that is exactly how I want it (according to the inventory search on Mazdausa.com) in Velocity Red is in Milwaukee, but my dealer tells me that they called them up and were told that the delivery date for that car is TBD - they don't know when exactly they'll get it in. Truth? I don't know, but they've been stand up people to deal with so far. Not pushy and very friendly.

Now, if I go with the Titanium Gray, there are two that show up as exact matches, according to the inventory search on Mazdausa.com. Both are at the same dealership in Racine, WI. But I don't know the status on them. Perhaps they have deposits on them, perhaps not. We'll see. I'm expecting a call from my dealer later today.
  • mbennett674mbennett674 Member Posts: 66
    What did you want? I ordered a titanium grey too, so don't be taking mine ;)
    as a mazda dealer I am well aware of how things operate...but you seem to have all the answers so you dont need my help. good luck.
    Thanks for your responses. I spoke to my dealer today and he found those same ones in Titanium that I found. Two up in Racine, and one locally that has a few extra options. I told him I would prefer the ones in Wisconsin but would take either of the three. Now... Let's see if he can work out a trade :) If all goes well I might just be taking delivery tomorrow.

I'm getting S-Plan pricing so I'm not too concerned with the extra cost of those extra options. I just don't need them. But I'm getting antsy. I sold my car last Thursday and have been bumming rides from friends. Luckily, I'm on vacation and don't need to get to and from work for a while.
    Brian, Did you try to negotiate for any price below the s plan price? If regular customers can get deals close to invoice, should not customers eligible for the s plan benefit much more than that? The s plan price comes to about invoice price give or take a few dollars.
    the benefit of the s-plan is that you get a great deal with none of the hassles associated with negotiation. The s-plan price is not negotiable.
  • ohsoribbyohsoribby Member Posts: 13
    Just an fyi ... i just bought a titanium hatch fully loaded manual for $20,600 (including the $500 rebate) ... not sure if thats a good price but im just glad this is over with. Hope this helps someone.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Anyone can negotiate a deal close to invoice, on most cars. Dealers can afford to do sell some cars close to invoice because of all the people that pay full MSRP (or more). If it wasn't for that, they wouldn't be able to offer s-plan either.

No, it's not fair, but that's the way it works.
    Invoice isn't the bottom line...

Dealers also get extra cash called the "Dealer Holdback" from Mazda, so on a car with a 20K invoice, the dealer may only pay 19K for the car. Don't worry - the dealership is making money.
    Mazda holdback is 2% of base MSRP.
    Does anyone know the prices of these accessories?
    * Casette player
    * MP3 player
    * Compass/outside temperature auto dim mirror
  • gazelle2gazelle2 Member Posts: 38
    My Titanium Hatch, leather, manual, ABS, moonroof, no nav remains but an elusive vision in the glossy brochure. Signed papers 10 days ago, but except for one call early on from my salesperson, no contact. Maybe it is true that there are simply no cars out there yet with my trim specs, and that I will be waiting another month or so! Upside is that they will honor the trade in price on my 2001 GTI, so I can pile miles on with impunity until the deal is done. This Saturday will mark the two week point since I signed on for $19K in the showroom up in Wayne, NJ.
    I found two cars that should be arriving at the dealers any day, if they arent there now. but, they are in CAL emission states and your dealer in NJ only has federal emission cars since nj is not a CAL state.....This might mean the dealers will not swap because non-CAL cars cannot be sold in Mass, where theses are located. The ones that I found without CAL emissions have not even left japan yet.

mbennett....FYI. on a dealer swap the original dealer who has the car keeps the holdback, not the dealer getting the car. So a swap changes the finacial picture. In many cases the dealer who originally had the car makes more than the selling dealer. This is one reason why dealer swaps are not the most cost effective way to buy a car.

keep us updated.
    That's interesting to know. It really doesn't seem like there are any available cars out there. I signed the papers two weeks ago, and haven't heard anything from my dealer.

I was starting to think that if I added leather to my order, it might accelerate things (I have every other option, and it seems that most who get the Nav get the Leather). Not sure how I feel about the leather though. Does anyone have it, and have anything to compare it to? Is it cheap feeling? I'm pretty sure of my decision to go cloth, but since I seem to have a few months - I can keep rethinking...
  • combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    as tiredofmanual said, the s-plan is intended to give you a hassle-free great price.

It's not a "you always get the best price over anybody else no matter what" plan.
  • edpaffjredpaffjr Member Posts: 2
    I'm finalizing my purchase of a black 3I manual transmission with the power and a/c packages for 15,884 out the door. This is in Cincinnati, OH. I can't wait to drive it again...
    Some of the postings in the Mazda 3 discussion earlier on seemed to be giving the leather very high grades. I remember one or two which commented on the quality being better than they had expected.
           I live near Flemington Mazda and they recently had a very large shipment of hatchbacks--15 or so--but all with cloth. saw a leather Titanium hatch, fully loaded, at Open Road Mazda in Edison, NJ. It was New Year's Day and they were closed, but it was an actual sighting of a M3 in full trim. I don't know why Mazda wouldn't be getting production out at full clip, given their ad campaigns and the fact that they do have to wean people away from Honda and Toyota, no easy task!
    best to ask those non-pricing questions over at the other 3 forum on this site, as Pat will come down hard on you (deservedly so!).

But to quickly answer your question, yes, the leather is on the cheaper side, especially noticable on the door inserts. It looks wrinkled as it seems stiffer and not as supple. As a stiffer and tougher leather, I actually liked it in that I slid around less on the seats than I have done in cars with better leather.

Another benefit: it might hold up better to sharp objects as a result of it's seemingly thicker feel.
  • jc106jc106 Member Posts: 8
    FYI - I just bought a 3S five door this weekend and I partially relied on Edmunds for pricing information. Based on my reading the five door comes with the "sport" package as a standard feature, whereas the Edmunds' data shows it as a $490(MSRP) option. This would inflate the invoice price and could result in a happy customer thinking he/she got invoice pricing and a happy dealer getting an extra $490 bucks. Maybe ignorance is bliss?..

Good luck to all
    well on the sedan, it IS an extra cost option whereas the hatch automatically comes that way without a seperate extra cost.

maybe that's where your confusion lies?
  • jt30605jt30605 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $15,283 for a silver one with manual transmission, power/16" option. Total with tax etc.. was 16,713. I was happy with the price and the buying experience was painless (my first new car). I've only had it few hours, but I love it so far. I forgot, I'm in Atlanta, GA.
    jc106/combustible1:

The Edmunds pricer is wrong for the Mazda3 s 5door. The Sport Package is standard on this model and is included in the base price ($17415 inc. destination). So, if you use the Edmunds pricer and add it again, the price is $490 too high. Just don't check the box for the Sport Package and it's fine. I'm sure no dealers are going to complain if a few people come in with offers that are $490 higher than they need to be, though. The Edmunds pricer works fine for the Mazda3 s sedan.

I mentioned this a couple of months ago but I guess they aren't reading these forums, or don't care. ;)
    My dealer swapped with one up in Wisconsin to get me a Titanium S sedan with only the airbag/ABS package and the 6-CD/Moonroof package. Oh, and wheel locks. Can't forget those </sarcasm>.

As I said before, I really enjoyed this dealer and using the S-Plan. I don't know if they treat everyone this way (and being a 25-year old guy that likes to wear jeans and looks young I don't get the greatest of treatment at car dealers), but it was as if we were old friends. Joking around and everything. Very laid back and lots of smiles. They did a lot of work for me - I'm picky and changed my mind a few times along the way.
    You da man!
  • titanium3titanium3 Member Posts: 20
    If you look at my sign-in name I have a Titanium Mazda 3 (5 dr), but I want to know "Why so many Titaniums?". I would much rather have had black, red, or silver (in that order) but didn't want to wait. If it had come in the 5 dr, my color of choice would have been indigo blue mica although I think it would have been even harder to maintain than black because of the way it shines in the sun. I am happy that it is so popular because that means good resale, and it is growing on me. Is Titanium the "new" black?
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm putting this into the people who watch the price/options database for an answer. Thanks for bringing this up (again).

-s
    No problem. I'm just here to help. ;)
    What kind of stuff should I expect from the dealer when the car arrives? What should I care about?

Undercoat/Rust
    Alarm
    What else?
    While waiting for my Titanium Hatch to appear, and listening to Wayne Mazda tell me it could be weeks, I've found two Titanium manual hatches at other NJ dealers. One has the works, including Nav, which I didn't really want at first. One is leather with moonroof package but not ABS/side air bag package. Is the nav worth the money that it will add to the price? Is it crazy to get a car with no ABS or side bags? Lived without that stuff for many moons... Oh yeah, fully loaded car at $20.9 K and lesser optioned at $18.3K
    Never really had any "toys" in my cars, but decided to get a loaded 3 with the works (except for leather) instead of a WRX - and saved $6K.

While I have survived without a nav for 10+ years of driving - There are a few instances where I would have found it handy. Plus, as I thought about it - more often than not, I am printing out directions on MapQuest - so a Nav would eliminate the need to do that.

Never hurts to know where you are - but then again - it adds a pretty big number to the bottom line.
  • steveflstevefl Member Posts: 62
    Undercoat, rust protection, alarms, wheel locks, remote starter, window etching, polycoat sealant for the paint, etc. may be offered by a dealer. Many of us feel these are all worthless, but you may be partial to any one of these. Be aware that the dealer offers these options at typically a huge markup. Whatever you really want you may be able to get much cheaper outside. Check prices before you pick up the car. My response to all of these options would be, "Just sell me the car."

Then there is the extended warranty. It's not for me, but that's something each buyer must decide for himself.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    My pricing:
    Black mica with cloth
    S 4 Door
    Automatic
    ABS/SAB/SAC
    Sport package
    Moonroof / 6DC changer

MSRP = $20,005
    Invoice $18,539

My price $18,883 - $344 over invoice (not counting holdback)

Other costs:
    Sales tax $1,180
    License/registration 178
    Doc Fee 50
    Total other cost $1,408

Drive out price $20,291

This is the first time I have paid more (total drive out price) for a vehicle than "MSRP". Normally I can get a big enough discount to cover taxes and fees. But Mazda does not mark up as much - only about 7% - this barely covers the sales tax.

I requested pricing from 4 dealerships Monday night using Edmunds dealer quote system. 3 dealerships E-mailed me back before noon on Tuesday - prices ranged from $950 to $600 over invoice. I wrote back and said I wanted to think about it (I really did want to think it over - I was not trying to scam anyone)

Wednesday morning (today) between 10:00 and 10:30 I got calls from all 3 dealerships - only two really had the car I wanted (color and options) the third promised to have the car I wanted in 10 days - and was willing to drop to $50 over invoice if I waited (once he was told I had already agreed to buy from another dealership). But I had caught them in one lie already and decided a deal in hand is better than a promise from a liar!

I could have held out for a better deal - maybe another $100 discount - maybe more who knows - but I ended up buying from a dealership that is 7 miles from my home - rather on the other side of Houston.

Zoom - Zoom - Zoom
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    As a fellow Houstonian, do you mind me asking which dealer you bought from, and who lied to you?
    I bought from Champion Chevrolet & Mazda - (They use to be Les Marks Chevrolet & Mazda - they were bought out by Champion Auto Group about a year ago).

I don't think it's right to publicly slam a dealership because one salesman is a liar - I will say that of the three dealerships that I had contact with they were the only one that made claims like

"This model is so hot they are selling above sticker - but if you buy today - we will let it go for only $950 over invoice"

They were also the only dealer that pushed the paint protection package - I think they wanted $599 for that and it "had to be" added to every car.

But I don't even count these as lies - although -they are not exactly the truth either.

The lie was the claim that they had the exact car (black color & options) I wanted in stock. When I ask the salesman (over the phone) if he WAS SURE that they had this exact car - he says "I am standing here looking at it" But when I ask him for the VIN number he started to back pedal - Oh wait - I thought you wanted gray - but we do have a black one out in the back of the lot - he was 100% sure of that - says so right here on the computer. OK great - give me the VIN number off the computer - sorry he could not do that - his computer does not list VIN numbers!
    Does anyone like any color other than titanium????

So far apx 50% of all the MZ3's we have sold are titanium. Nationally its not quite as high but it's a runaway favorite at this point.
  • ish2lish2l Member Posts: 19
    Did you not get the $500 rebate on your purchase or was the original price $844 over invoice?
  • x_typer_pilotx_typer_pilot Member Posts: 82
    I personally think that there are no 'bad' colours, the car (sedan or hatch) looks good in all colours.

I think Titanium (Medium to Dark Grey metallic) is just the 'IN' colour. Everyone (me included) likes Silver (but it can be seen as a bit bland) and Black (Murder to keep looking clean and shiny). So, I think that it has the cool factor of black without the other attributes - and looks good on every car like silver.

I happened to prefer the brightness of the silver, winning blue, and the orange on such a cool car. But the wife is conservative (we are in our mid 30's) and we ended up with silver. Is still think our hatch looks great in silver, but my preference was and still is with the Winning Blue.
    I did not qualify for the rebate - I am a first time Mazda owner (didn't they have some loyalty program?) and I graduated from college - well lets just say more than 20 years ago.

The $344 was without any rebate.

Best part was I got to the dealer at 1:00 - took a nice long test drive - just to make sure it was "the car" -went over the car with a sales assistant - to explain how everything worked- took 10 minutes to sign the paperwork and I was out the door by 2:30.
  • lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    I wanted the Orange bad, but when my dealer ponied up the exact car I wanted (leather, 5sp. hatch w/everything but nav.) in Titanium Gray, I took it. They said it could be six months waiting on orange out here. And yeah, all of a sudden, almost every manufacturer is putting dark gray on the street right now...