Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• fishnboundfishnbound Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure about the truck it is going in, the truck is being built in texas and we don't get much info on that. We will start full production on the engine Dec. 11 2006. i am not sure when they will be on the lots.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    But if it won't be out until the First of next year, NY may see this action!

Hopefully, I can make it there.

390HP sounds good, and with the LS460 engine making 380HP and combined mid-20's economy, maybe they can pull 18/22 out of this stump-puller. 6-speed Auto?

DrFill
  • ashbladeashblade Member Posts: 1
    Hey Justin,

Yeah, I just bought a 2006 Tundra Limited V8 Doublecab with the DVD Nav system (Dec 30, 2005). I'm very happy with the truck and the DVD Nav system has worked very well for me. I think several of the strengths of the system are the Points of Interest (POI) database, the ability to choose from multiple routes (with graphical representations) if applicable, and finally the ability to add waypoints so that you can be guided to several points on the way to your final destination if so desired.

There is a limitation that is a bit annoying, though, but it is there for safety reasons. While the vehicle is moving, no one can input a destination for guidance (my inference here is not that *I* would want to do this while driving, but I might have a passenger who could). It's annoying to have to pull over to enter the destination, and so far I haven't found any way around this.

You posted this back in Oct, have you gotten yours yet?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    There is a solution for the problem of not being able to set destinations while in motion: Make the display so that it will swivel toward the passenger, and allow programming when it is in that position. This should satisfy the customers and the lawyers. Toyota, are you listening?
  • suedesuede Member Posts: 3
    Well the Tundra didn´t show up at NAIAS so when will it come? Does anyone think the car might have a version of the NASCAR-engine as an option? I understand you are aware of that Toyota is following the likes of Audi, BMW, Ford by developing engines using compacted graphite iron (CGI) for cylinder blocks. The Japanese vehicle manufacturer has, through its racing arm, developed a new lightweight CGI cylinder block for its 650hp 5.8-litre V8 gasoline engine, which has successfully been used by Toyota Racing Developments (TRD) in the Toyota Tundra pickups featuring in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2005.
  • tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Supposedly the Chicago Show next month.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    From Chicago Auto Show's web site:

"Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. will stage the world premiere of the all-new 2007 Tundra full-size pickup truck at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show. The completely redesigned 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new body and engine configurations. This all-new Tundra will be built in America at both Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Indiana and the new San Antonio,Texas plants. Check back on Thursday, February 9, for the update information and photos."

Bring it on!

Tom
  • judge42judge42 Member Posts: 5
    Good News for those of you with Nav systems who are locked out underway. You can fix it for free, but it only lasts til you switch the ignition off. Of course since it take about 10 seconds I just do it when I need it.

go to the Nav system volume page
    press the volume speaker icon in the upper left corner
    press the lower left corner of the screen
    press the volume speaker icon in the upper left again
    press the lower left corner again
    now a new screen should pop up with diagnositcs... ignore it all except for a button half way down the left side that says OVERRIDE... press and HOLD it until it beeps and changes color, about five seconds... then back out of all the menus.
    voila. NOW none of the buttons will shade grey when you are moving.

I understand there intent but sometimes the road is empty, or you are moving half a mile an hour, or your passenger could be putting in the info. Hell it even hides the phone numbers when you are moving! your wife can't even call and make a resevation! Still it is a very slick system already and I look forward to what the future brings.
    New Camry and Lexus LS this month.

New Tundra and Lexus ES next month.

Interesting to see if ANY of the new LS tech can get into it. I never liked the wood between the steering wheel and the guages. I'll assume this will not be relived.

DrFill
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I wonder if they will offer a double cab with a shorter bed. The current double cab tundra, which only has the full length bed, is quite long. Kind of tough to fit in the average garage.
  • max460max460 Member Posts: 25
    Prototypes of Toyota’s next generation Tundra pick-up are currently undergoing last cold weather testing in North America before the new model’s launch at the 2006 Chicago Motor Show.

The Tundra came first on the market in 1999, and the new model to come will be an all new vehicle. The 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new styling and engine configurations. This all-new Tundra will be built in America at both Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Indiana and the new San Antonio,Texas plants.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    I think one can "bet the ranch" that the 07' Tundra will BLOW AWAY truck enthusiasts. BIGGER, BETTER, and MAJOR HORSEPOWER.
  • objectiveviewobjectiveview Member Posts: 72
    This will be a great truck, but i'm not expecting much more than 300hp/400+ft/lbs tq...would love to be wrong about this and can't wait to see the diesel version either :)

None the less i see them doing well, but not taking away much market share from ford (and who gives a [non-permissible content removed]..besides ford & toyota od course)
    Hood is pretty high, proportionate.

So far, so good.

DrFill
    And grille shares Tacoma traits.

Will it be BIGGER than Dodge Ram and R-150?

That seems pretty credible to me.

DrFill
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I think the Tundra will resemble that of its smaller brother the Tacoma. They will both look very similar like the Nissan Titan and Nissan Frontier.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    If you're not expecting much more than 300hp, I think you will be surprised! ;)
  • tudra507tudra507 Member Posts: 2
    As stated previously the engine will be a 5.7L with app. 390HP. This engine will be built in Huntsville Alabama at the Toyota Plant.
    how you know? :confuse:
    WHEN WILL THE 2007 Sequoia BE INTRODUCE IN THE New york auto show :confuse: :confuse:
  • tudra507tudra507 Member Posts: 2
    i know cause i work in the plant that will be buiding it. I've been to Japan and have completed countless hours of training on the assembly of this engine. Toyota Alabama will be machining and assembling the new engine.
  • kensafishinkensafishin Member Posts: 3
    Will this be the same engine in the bigger tundra and do you know when the truck will be Available?
  • fishnboundfishnbound Member Posts: 3
    I found out today that the horsepower numbers may be a little off. I have not seen one on a dyno yet so I was only going on what i have heard. The 5.7 part is accurate. The horsepower will be a bit lower than I mentioned earlier but I am not sure exactly.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is Tundra going to have new engines available in the 2006 model before the 2007 model is available later this year?
    350 is what I'd expect. It will keep them competitive with the F-150, the decade they finally send a competitive 5L engine into this frey.

I'm sure Toyota knows Chevy has the 6.2 coming.

350 will get them respect, which they have not recieved from the Full-size buyer. Besting the Hemi would be a nice place to start.

DrFill
    I would like around 315 horsepower and about 375 pounds torque for the 2007 Tundra and hopefully the diesel model will come by the end of 2007.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Anyone own a 2006 Tundra 4x4? What kind of mileage do you obtain in the city and on the highway?
  • shaidtshaidt Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 2007 Tundra is going to look like the FTX concept vehicle? I've been waiting for the new Tundra, but I don't think I'll wait for an FTX version of it.
    It will probally have many cues from the FTX but it will look very similar to the Tacoma.
  • shaidtshaidt Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard when the new Tundra will become available?
    I think it will be available by September 2006.Maybe October 2006.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    It has been pushed back until January 2007. Sorry to say.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    It will be alot more than that. Remember how the 4 Runner jump from 170Hp to 240Hp? 215Hp to 268Hp for the avalon, Camry, 275Hp for the ES? 225Hp for IS to 306Hp? 290 HP LS to 380 HP?

I think this new 5.7L V8 will be near 360-380 HP and around 400 ft*lb of torque. It will be mated to a 6 speed auto, and make the F150 looks like the mommy of pick up truck.
  • tundra2007tundra2007 Member Posts: 1
    The next gen Tundra will be unveiled at the Chicago auto show this Thursday feb. 9th. They finally showed the new tundra at work today. Got a chance to see it after work. All i can say is wow. It really is big. New engine is a 5.7 liter v-8. I can't wait for the showing at the auto show.
    Ok, it's dark, and you see this giant steel cage in a factory, with the subtitle "Somewhere in the heart of Texas", with something large inside in silouhette (sic).

You can bearly make out that it's a truck of some kind. And something large looms behind it, with a giant backlight.

You get a close up of the 5.7 V8 emblem, as you hear a forklift load something large into the bed.

You get a close up of the "iForce" emblem, and are panned back to see a massive trailer getting hitched.

Then you hear voices saying "Are we ready?", "That's too much weight!", "Bring the fork back, Chuck!", "We'll make a second trip"

Then you see the key turns, engine crank, bell goes off in the cabin, and the Tundra charges out of the cage, like an NFL running back with a shot at daylight, with a full load out back, and a giant trailer of some kind in tow.

Then, in the background, you see a parked F-150, Ram and Silverado, about 50 ft away, and the Tundra rolls into the foreground, maybe 10 feet from the camera, as the camera needs to pan back, and back, to fit the Tundra, and it's load into the shot.

Then the announcer says something like: Introducing the All-New 2007 Toyota Tundra. From deep in the heart of Texas, where everything is big. Really big.

And, It's pretty strong too!

Toyota Tundra. You asked for it! :shades:

DrFill
    Godzilla theme?

The F-150 is rolling through the streets of Tokyo, but obviously is like 3 times the size of buildings lining the streets. Engine makes deep rumbles and such. Building a King Kong image. It's large and in charge!

Then you hear the distinctive shreik of Godzilla! And the Tundra rolls up.

The two trucks stop and stare each other down. You see the Ford on the left, and the Tundra on the right, in the same shot. The Tundra is noticably bigger!

They gradually get closer and closer, like to Rams charging.

Then they meet.

You see the Ford engine rumble, tires squeal, but the Tundra stands fast! Barely budges.

Tundra's turn! It starts to fire, and the Ford starts moving back, and back.

The Toyota builds momentum, and shoves the Ford into the sea! Tundra wins!

The hood pops open, and the Godzilla schreik is heard!

Announcer: The All-New 2007 Toyota Tundra! Did we make it too powerful? ;)

DrFill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Since '07 is now the actual model year for the redesign, I've changed the title. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    So the F-150 didn't have water coming down under?

:blush:
    Toyota Stages World Premiere of All-New Tundra Full-Size Pickup at 2006 Chicago Auto Show
    Related Media

02/09/2006 Chicago
    February 9, 2006 – Chicago - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new next-generation Tundra full-size pickup truck at a press conference today at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show.
    The Tundra was first introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model. Since then, it has won numerous awards and has been recognized for its value, quality and reliability. The completely redesigned 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new body and engine configurations.

"From bumper-to-bumper, under the hood and from the inside out the new Tundra is a true American truck that will set a new benchmark in the full-size truck segment," said Jim Lentz, TMS group vice president and general manager. "It will be aimed at the ‘True Trucker,' the true opinion leaders among full-size owners. True Truckers are highly credible because they use, punish, and demand the most out of the pickups they buy."

The expanded size and power of the new Tundra will be reflected in its ability to tow over 10,000 pounds. To achieve this towing capacity every major component was designed for maximum strength, durability and reliability over the long haul. This will be accomplished with an all-new 5.7-liter i-Force V8 engine manufactured at Toyota's Alabama engine plant. The V8 will be mated to a new heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission. In addition to the new powertrain, Tundra will also come equipped with heavy-duty front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and vented rotors increased by nearly one and one-half inches, and standard rear disc brakes. High capacity cooling and electrical systems will help Tundra tow heavy loads through the toughest weather. Finally, Tundra will ride on a new rock-solid chassis platform with 30 percent higher tensile strength steel.

Development of the new Tundra was spearheaded by Toyota's U.S.-based facilities. Product planning began at TMS headquarters in Southern California. All engineering development was directed by the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Styling, inside and out, was the work of Toyota's Calty Research and Design Centers in Newport Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Finally, the new Tundra will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Princeton, Indiana and Toyota's new truck plant in San Antonio, Texas.

Tundra has been super-sized in every metric of comparison with the vehicle it replaces. Its all-new, full-size platform will feature a significantly expanded wheelbase and an increase of 10 inches in overall length. Tundra will also gain nearly five inches in height and will be four full inches wider than before, placing it among the segment leaders in overall size.

Buyers of the new Tundra will have a choice of three engines. In addition to the new 5.7-liter V8, the capable 4.0-liter V6 and the legendary 4.7-liter i-Force V8, both also built in Alabama, will be available.

The new Tundra will come in three cab configurations. It will retain its three-grade strategy with the Base, SR5 and well-appointed Limited trim levels. In all, Tundra will be offered in more than 30 different models, nearly double the current generation.

Calty designers set out to complement the new Tundra's increased size by creating a design with bold, brave and distinctive character lines that are different from anything on the road today. From the front, the new Tundra features a bold front grille, strong bumper and large headlights with a steely glare, conveying a strong and powerful physical presence. The profile reveals a thicker body and taller doors with character lines and fender flares that add dimension and strength as well as an unwavering stance.

Tundra's powerful and rugged exterior styling characteristics extend to the inside. A "command and control" center provides an unobstructed view of the instrument panel and puts knobs, switches and buttons within close reach of the driver.
    All Tundra models will feature a class-leading, roomy passenger cabin providing front passengers with four inches more shoulder room. Two-row models will offer rear passengers nearly three inches more shoulder. Front passengers will receive nearly four more inches of hip room while rear passengers will enjoy six inches of additional hip room. Interior storage capacity is increased with the addition of hidden storage compartments, second-row seats that double as work surfaces (two-row models only), and a larger center console box.

For buyers who use their Tundra as a work truck quick and easy access to the truck bed is essential. The new Tundra will feature a tailgate that can be opened and closed with just two fingers. Robust dampers on the hinges have been added to help cushion the tailgate when opening and also help reduce bouncing when driving with the tailgate down. Other design features with workers in mind include large door handles, inside and out, easy-to-turn HVAC knobs, and adjustable headrests, allowing drivers and passengers to ride to their next work site without having to remove protective gear such as hardhats or gloves.

Designers also had safety in mind with the addition of extra large side mirrors to provide a wide field of view, while reducing wind noise and image vibration, always important when towing precious cargo. Additionally, a trailer hitch will be integrated into the Tundra's frame for better stability when handling heavy loads.

The Tundra will be loaded with standard-equipped comfort and convenience features. An array of options and accessories will also be offered, such as a JBL premium audio system with Bluetooth telephone compatibility, 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat, and a wide-screen backup camera integrated into the tailgate handle for enhanced rear-view safety.

"As much as the new Tundra has changed, there are a few things that remain the same," said Jim Press TMS president and COO. "Tundra will again offer the most comfortable, quiet and refined ride in the full-size truck segment. Its build quality, reliability, and durability will, again, be second to none."

The all-new Tundra will arrive in dealer showrooms in early 2007.

2007 TUNDRA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall length: 228.7

Overall width: 79.9

Overall height: 76.4

Wheelbase: 145.7

TRUCK BED DIMENSIONS (inches)

Bed length 78.7

Bed width
    (at wheel wells) 65.0

Bed width
    (between wheel wells): 50.0

Bed width
    (wall-to-wall): 65.0

Bed depth: 22.3

:shades:

DrFill
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Good lord man, relax!

I can only imagine how excited you'd get if Toyota unveiled a new Supra..... :P
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Couldn't submit a comment on the blog site so here goes. Looks Ram-like from the front. This model is the access-cab model NOT the crew cab? What size tires are on this model? Will 20"'s be offered? How about factory spray on bedlines like the Titan? I thought Toyota would have all these options available. Any comments?
    :confuse:

I don't know what your talking about. This is a pretty generic introduction, except for Jim Press' "Bad-[non-permissible content removed]" statement.

Not a whole lot to get excited about at this point.

I believe Toyota's plan for the Tundra will be similar to the Lexus LS.

Give us drips and drabs of information throughout the year, to keep the pot smokin', a photos of the crew cab, hybrid information, revised 4.7 figures, pricing.

It would've been a bad idea to release full power numbers, as in a year, a competitor already at work on an upgrade, could steal 'Yota's thunder.

By X-mas, we should know the rest of the story.

Until then, we'll be "Caught up in the Rapture" of Tundra! ;)

DrFill
    If Toyota ever brought back a Supra that represents, I would be just another victim of "Spontaneous Combustion", and would not be available for that Press Release. :P

DrFill
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Well, I guess if the new Tundra is built really well and turns out to be a truly high quality long lasting vehicle, it'll be impressive. But, overall, I just don't see any ground breaking innovation here. Yes, it is bigger. (I have never thought the current 4 door tundra was too small)However, I am still unclear on its size since I have not seen the numbers for the three variations-- whatever they are. Could Toyota have gone too big for all variations so none fit in a typical garage?

Also, how about safety? Does it have side airbags standard? Also, what about efficency? With gas so expensive, I am wondering if they have tweaked the engines offered to get (relatively) good mpg. Finally, what about cost. With Tacomas going past $30k, this thing could easily be $35k for an SR5 model with 4x4. Don't even ask about a limited with a special "TRD package."

My jury is still out.
    Of course it'll fit in a garage, and will get competitive mileage! :confuse:

Loaded Ford, Dodge, and Chevy's are $40k, easy! So what's the difference? Who says you have to get all the bells and whistles?

I don't think std. Side SRS will break many deals, do you?

DrFill
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "If Toyota ever brought back a Supra that represents, I would be just another victim of "Spontaneous Combustion"...

That's about what I figured. I've got a mental picture of you trying to post with your hair on fire... ;)

Off-topic BUT.....what's your take on Mazda's little Kabura concept? For some reason, the idea of a lightweight, cheap RWD coupe with Miata mechanicals, RX-8 suspension, and room for 3 real people in a practical hatchback design has me grinning like a loon.... :blush:
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    It looks about what i thought it would, not bad, but nothing great looks wise, typical toyota blandness.
    It'll be out just after GM's new line of trucks hit the market, they look nice too, but still too conservative looks wise...