Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    Not all of the money. A lot is reinvested in the USA...do you know how many people in this country benefit from having ToMoCo here? We all win dude....your arguments are a bit weak.

yeah dude i could take a guess and say probly about 1 tenth the number of people that lose better paying jobs as a result of this cancer on our economy. but you should really set the pipe down for a while dude your replying to posts from march?
  • labman42labman42 Member Posts: 5
    You're exactly right, I am repying to your post from March, is that bad manners here? I just got my CM with the 5.7L and I am so impressed with the vehicle I have read back through this forum to learn as much as possible about the truck. Maple, thanks for playing devil's advocate in this forum, you have provided food for thought. I will now respect the wishes of others here and restrict myself to posting about the truck itself...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The problem with this rationale is that the job losers are looking for someone to blame for natural selection and the normal progress of productivity.

Those that aren't very good, workers and products, should be redirected or dropped. There is no justification for keeping a bad product alive. It's unfortunate luck that some good people were involved in building bad vehicles. But that's life. That's management's responsibility. It designed, developed and marketed an Aztek and the market hated it.

In addition, there is a natural progression of productivity in all workplaces which means that to stay alive a company has to do more with less. The company I worked for in 1977 had 4 divisions employing ~ 600 people. When I retired from it in 1998 it did 30% more business in one combined division with 85 people. Life goes on. There's no blame it's progress.
  • hotel1hotel1 Member Posts: 50
    GEE.........toyota directly employs a measly 41,000
    people in NA. GM, Ford, Chrysler employ how many?

Speaking of real articles........More and more 07 tundra
    transmission failure posts popping up daily at toyota solutions and elsewhere. Whats with that?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Been there, done that, and it's off topic here.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • mauleg0615mauleg0615 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2007 tundra 4x4. Its TRD offroad and has all the nice goodies in it. I went with the Slate Metallic. Man the double TRD exhaust sounds mean and it sure adds to the power of this truck! I had a Ram 1500 Hemi and I tell you this TT can blow that away as far as power, speed and comfort! I will never go back to Dodge or Chevy! I got more Bang for my buck here. :D
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Technically, yes, for every rear-end collision, somebody is having a front-end collision, but there is a BIG difference between a front-end collision going into traffic flowing the same way, and being on a two-way highway getting into a head-on collision. Most people easily survive the first scenario; few survive the latter.
    While you're correct in saying that odds of hitting something "head-on" are correct, the reason that the IIHS does off-set head-on collision tests is because the percentage of full-front head-on collisions is so small and that off-set head-on collisions are much greater (since it is natural that one or both parties are trying to avoid the accident). I'm not saying it doesn't hurt doing spectacular at both, but few vehicles do anyway. Offset, rear-end collisions, and t-bones make up most of the types of accidents. Just becuase the results for the NHTSA on the Tundra came out first doesn't mean that this is more of an indicator of its safety than a rear-end collision where the others did worse. By both NHTSA's and IIHS's statistics, there are far greater numbers of accidents for the latter than the former...
    Actually there is a whole discussion on the NHTSA website from it's own management about how 'unrepresentative' it's tests are and what it has to do to make the testing criteria more useful.

It mentions that almost all vehicles tested now get 4 or 5 stars yet injury-causing accidents are still occuring. It impiies that 4-5 stars is 'Passing', 3 must be 'Marginal' and 1 or 2 stars is 'Failing' ( although there are no 1 or 2 star vehicles ). It implies in the discussion that it's 4 or 5 star rating isn't doing much to give prospective owners much guidance.

BTW it has no rearend test criteria at all.

Link to the discussion:NHTSA NCAP improvements
  • buzzwabuzzwa Member Posts: 3
    Per my on-board display I'm getting 15.7 while running A/C. That's up from about 15.1 a month ago. I assume it's because I'm through the break-in period and the engine is slightly more efficient now.

Toyota also claims that the truck tracks the last 1000 miles of operator input (driver personality) then optimizes performance based on that data.

BTW take note next time you're beside a semi, you don't have to be behind them to get the benefit of a draft. Just being next to them adds another 6+ MPG... Drop in behind one (yes, very dangerous to loiter there) and you'll see 26 to 30 mpg depending on how close... Of course I in no way recommend this or condone it. Just pointing out my own observations! ;)
  • tomnfltomnfl Member Posts: 9
    I cannot open my tailgate (and no it is not locked). I called the dealership and they are seeing trucks where the spring has come off in most cases. Has anyone else had any issues??
  • thundertruckthundertruck Member Posts: 5
    I love my truck but I have seen one issue I wonder if anyone else has observed. Since the 2nd day of ownership, my tire pressure monitoring light blinks for awhile then stays on. I brought it to the dealer and they said the tire pressure was too high (40 lbs) and reset the system. A week later the light again blinked for awhile and now stays on again - the tires are at 38 lbs all around. Is there an systemic issue with this system? By the way, I did find out the spare does NOT have a tire pressure monitoring sensor. Be careful on changing tires, the sensors are $120 a piece.
  • guntechguntech Member Posts: 5
    Well, I've been waiting for my 07 Tundra for 2-1/2 months now. Luckily I deal with a GREAT dealer. They have given me a FREE 07 Tundra Rental (which is VERY close to what I ordered) to use until mine comes in. I now have about 4000 miles on it and am getting 18.2 mpg. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I HATE the mirrors though...... I'm starting to get used to having to baby the gas pedal. This thing is a rocket ship :-) .... I haven't seen ANY of the problems I've read about in this forum. This truck has been flawless.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Are the 07 Tundra not selling well? Already, a few of the dealers in Orange County are offering $5000 off MSRP on all Tundra, including Crew Max.

I'ts hard to believe that Toyota would offer discount so early in the model year.
    $3000 SoCal incentive from Toyota and a $2000 discount from the dealer is a great deal...for both sides.

A better one is 0% for 60 months and a $2000 discount from the dealer.
    I ordered mine 1st week of May and recieved over $2500 off MSRP. My dealer (Upstate N.Y.) is selling them like hot cakes.
  • vegasheatvegasheat Member Posts: 6
    hvan3...do you know which dealers in orange county are offering $5,000 off MSRP? My money is coming in this month and I want to take advantage.
  • captbobhcaptbobh Member Posts: 7
    So who's this great dealer in Upstate NY
  • painterdavepainterdave Member Posts: 1
    I bought a tundra on june 30th & was told it would be on the ground on july 19th.I,am still driving my trade...an 04 Tacoma.Were you promised a date of delivery? Has it gone past that date? Should I expect to wait alot longer then the 19th?!! Would appreciate some info.
  • sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    Does anybody with a '07 Tundra Double Cab equipped with the 5.7 and 4 w/d notice any play upon starting from a standstill? I get this feeling that is like a little u-joint slop, from years ago, when I start from a dead stop. I asked the dealer about it and they (without driving it) said it may be the "drive by wire" technology. Other than that, so far I really like this truck. The handeling is good, fuel milage is averaging about 17.5 and I don't have a 1000 mile on it yet.
  • thundertruckthundertruck Member Posts: 5
    I have the same truck with 580 miles on it but I haven't noticed any driveline slop. It seems to take off rather quickly.
    Prestige Toyota in Kingston N.Y.. They made sure to tell me that this is not a common practice, but then again, this is the 3rd vehicle that I've bought from them. I have been nothing but overjoyed with the prices AND service that I get from them.
    I was told in early June that mine was on the ground also. Seems that Toyota had a problem getting the tires that came with the TRD pkg. They put a large group of Tundras with TRD on hold. Mine happened to be one of them. I didn't feel it was prudent to drive around in my 1996 F150 while waiting for them to deal with Toyota's mess, the dealership agreed, so they hooked me up. I suggest you ask your dealer if they are going to honor the "trade-in price" even if something happens to it after that date.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    >

You can basically go to any Toyota dealership and get $5000 off. In particular, Toyota of Orange and Toyota of Buena Park (Power Toyota). Or, go to Longo Toyota and tell them that most dealers are offering $5000. Have Longo beat it by taking another $500 off.

I went to Longo and the internet sales guy immediately matched the $5000. That was too easy. I"m sure he can take off a few hundred dollars more. Anyway, I'm not ready for 07 Tundra. I already have an 05 Tundra DC.

By the way, my 05 Tundra DC has 3 big size oxidation spots on the left driver side. The truck only has 32K miles!!!
  • crazycanuck4crazycanuck4 Member Posts: 17
    y2kcrash just wondering if that was your truck I saw at the dealership this week? If not they must be making BFG tires one at a time.

Also, has anyone purchased or, does anyone know if the 4.7L v8 models are selling? It would appear the 5.7 is the engine of choice.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    Turn off VSC and it will go away. Important if you want to blow the doors off a GMC or Ford on your drive home from the office!
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. I was at the dealer the other day and questioned the service rep. about it again. Originally he had told me he thought it may be the "drive by wire" thing but since that time he had a couple other complaints about this problem. He told me that he drove several different models trying to replicate the problem and said that the only one that seems to do it is the Double Cab/with Bucket seats/5.7 and the standard bed. The same truck with the column shift and/or the long bed with the buckets didn' do it. A Toyota rep. is coming in the next couple of weeks and he is goiing to show him the problem and see what he can come up with----in the meantime I'll try turning off the VSC.
    P.S Did you have the same problem? How do you know that turning off the VSC works------did you try it?
    Thanks again.
  • y2kcrashy2kcrash Member Posts: 13
    I suspect the delivery problem is more a dealership issue in my case.
    After waiting 3 months and misleading information by the salesperson costed me big $$$$ and a messed up vacation.
    I took may deposit back and worked out a much better deal elsewhere.($47,144 now out the door verses $47,660 before).which both deals includes extras (etching/bed mat/block heater) no trade in
    However I will never be able to recover the losses $$$$ I have incurred because of the previous salesperson here.
    Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on before they get any worse and there was no indication things would get any better sticking with the local dealer here.
    The integrity and trust was just not there and maybe this how they choose to do business.

The up side is I expect to take delivery end of August. I may now have to wait a little while longer but the whole experience at the place I'm buying now puts our home town dealership to shame.
  • quest67277quest67277 Member Posts: 7
    Auto dealership manager stealing my 3500 rebate.?
    a toyota manager told me that he has to charge me taxes on negotiated price before he can subtract the rebate. when i did the math both ways my rebate was worth a little over 1200 bucks instead of a full 3500 dollars cause of the higher tax amount i was charged before he took out the rebate. he says he has to do it that way. is this true. i almost bought the tundra. i walked out cause i did not feel right. the manager then threaten that the price would be higher if i come back the next day. so i do not plan on going back unless they realy lower their price.
    That sounds like a stretch even if you live in CA, NY or NJ where the local sales taxes might be 8-9%.

He's right about the rebate being deducted after the calculation of the transaction price + TTF. This is why it's called 'Customer Cash'. It's like an additional downpayment - or - you can have the money sent to you separately by Toyota.

The reason that it's shown as additional down payment is specifically because the states normally have tax laws prohibitting the dealerships from 'netting out' the rebates from the transaction price. The states lose the tax on the rebates this way. But even if you did have a 9% sales tax you're only paying 9% on the $3500 thus your 'net' rebate should be ~$3185.

A $1200 net rebate is out of line somehow. Show us the figures something's not adding up.
  • abcanuckabcanuck Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my Silver Sky Crewmax at the end of February and it arrived at the end of June. It is truly a beauty! However I have experienced the chattering in the tranny when shifting down on a hill and the dealer says it need to be broken in more as the computer learns my driving habits ... it seems to be a slow learner. I also have the same play in the driveline that you are having. I will try the VSC tomorrow and respond if that works. The deaaler says that it is normal and the others the service rep tried seemed to do the same. Am I gulible or is everyone missing it? Thanks to this site for help... :confuse:
  • sadchevyownersadchevyowner Member Posts: 2
    I took delivery on my SR5 CrewMax yesterday and the dealer deducted the $2500 rebate before computing the Texas sales tax. I suspect the sales tax rules on rebates vary by state.
    The computor is programmed at the factory ---not by you!! Why in the world would Toyota spend the time and money to program a computor only to have you re-program it? I think that rep has a BIG shovel and I hope he is wearing boots. "Learns your driving habit"---boy that's a good one. Have you made them take you or you take them out in a couple new ones to see if they all do this? Mine doesn't "chatter" when I down shift going down hill--maybe there is something wrong with mine ---OR--my computor is a faster learner than yours as mine only has a 1000 + miles on it. BTW--is your's a 5.7? :P
  • kosh1931kosh1931 Member Posts: 4
    Of course it ALL depends on your need. The 4.7 provides all the power and speed that many of us want or need. The 5.7 is being pushed by Toyota and is a very good engine along with it's 6 speed transmission vs 5 speed for the 4.7.
  • linhebelinhebe Member Posts: 1
    I'm searching for an 07 Tundra Crew Cab in the MA/NH area. After driving an hour to Manchester NH we found that the 26 postings for the crew cab on their site were really for the double cab. I have been looking for different incentives as well and only find the option of $1500 cash back OR 0% financing. How are some of you getting the $5000 off? Is this an incentive or just something the dealer can offer? Hoping to find a tundra soon!!! Thanks!
    Sorry to hear about your dealings. I have heard of similar situations by others. I guess I have been fortunate with my salesperson. Did you end up in Brockville or Cobourg? I used one of them to get my price down to a manageable point when making my deal.

I trust you let Toyota know of your experience, sometimes heads get too big.
    I agree fully, I am just interested in the numbers, if they are out there.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    To clarify, I get a pause when I hit the gas to accelerate. This is normal, not a problem! Normal mode has VSC and TRAC active. The TRAC brakes the engine when you accelerate to maintain stability. Briefly press the VSC Off button turns TRAC off and Auto LSD is active. You can press VSC Off a second time and hold for 3-5 seconds and turn it all off. The above is true in 2WD mode only. It is a little confusing, hitting "VSC Off" button does not put VSC off unless you hit the button twice!
  • wildwest1wildwest1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a loaded '07 Tundra DC Limited with XM satellite radio through the navigation system. I activated the XM a couple of weeks ago and whenever I listen to it, it sounds like its being played through a tin-can. However, when I play normal radio or CD, the system sounds great. Is this normal or is there a problem with the XM connection (I'm not sure if XM is now factory or dealer installed) or the Nav. system. Any advice before I take it to the dealer.

btw... love the truck otherwise.
  • yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    "bounce" if you weigh approx 165lbs jump up and down on the rear bumper of your 07DC and experience the same sensation as when driving... I think it bends in the middle.......... gee whizzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • y2kcrashy2kcrash Member Posts: 13
    Delivery is end of August at new dealership.
    The new price I worked out is $500 better than before.
    ($47144 Can vs $47600 Can out the door).
    What kind of deal did you workout?
    As to complaint I'm stilling putting details together on screwing around I got at local dealer.Then I'll file a complaint. One remaining piece as to what took place is still needs to be answered.
    You know when I replied to your computer deal and it having to learn your driving habits---well I may of been wrong when I said that was "bull". I can't believe that I was incorrect--but---I have since learned that computers "do" learn your driving habits. I don't know how long it takes but that seems to be the case in BMW's and the like. As for my "drive line slop" that I initially reported--it "seems" to be getting better---I don't want to get my hopes up but it does seem to be going away. I can't remember who said that it wasn't a problem, but to me it was. It was annoying and it took away from all the other niceties about the "Toyo Ton". :blush:
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    I purchased a Tundra 4X2 DC SR5 5.7L last Saturday on a Toyota dealer web site promotion. It was a first come first come basis. The sticker price was $30,679.53 and I purchased it outright with no trade cash for $22,500 adding only state tax. It was the color silver I wanted with the Michelin tires I wanted. I am hoping Southeast Toyota Distributers will change out the Bridgestone spare that came installed for the Michelin as on the four main wheels. So far MPG is 17.5 to 18 driving 55 to 65 MPH on secondary highways. The only thing we are not fond of are the recessed instruments that are especially hard to read in bright sunlight. I would actually like a digital speedometer as on our 08 Scion XB. I can not understand why they recessed the instruments so far back. If my wife is driving I cant see how fast she is going from the right seat. She has a lead foot!
    what is the dealership name. where is it located. was the 22500 included the rebate of 3500 bucks. i am having a hard time bying one for 24500 and i want to keep my rebate. yea i am not fond of the resessed instruments either. edmunds says that the tundra is 24k. i am willing to pay them 500 over that price including tax, tag, and title but no dealer is taking the deal yet. i am going to wait them out. maybe toyota will have a 5000 rebate like the 2007 nissan titans have. please let me know i you got to keep the rebate and do what you want with it. i know most dealers try to make there deal with the rebate included. i keep telling them it is not there money. it is mine to either get in a check or use it as a downpayment. man they hate it when i say that cause they expect most people to let them control what they do with our rebate. take care....kev
    has anyone hurd if toyota is still having problems with the 5.7L engines still. how many more have had camshaft problems. anyone hurd of any recalls in the future for tundra's with 5.7L engines. would really love to know. thanks again.....kev
    The DC 5.7 I purchased was listed by an Orlando Toyota dealer on a first come first served basis where they will not hold the truck but you must come in person before someone else buys it. This is the second Toyota I have purchased from this dealership in the last two years. Frankly I told my wife when we drove the 50 miles it probably would be gone. They of course dont expect many buyers to walk into the dealership and buy without a trade and pay cash(check)etc. This way they do not have the opportunity to make extra money by offering a lower trade in or commission on the loan. I feel fortunate that this time in my life Im able to buy this way. This dealership in general has treated me well with my two purchases. I feel that I should not use this dealerships name but they are easy to find. Hope you get a good deal as I have. In this area with discounts of 7 to 8k, I dont see how discounts could get much higher and in fact could drop back some depending on inventories as has happened past years. What is unusual is the high discounts so soon after an introduction by Toyota. Of course state tax must be paid on the Toyota factory rebate as well as sales tax.
    The factory rebate is applied to your purchase, but remember state tax must be paid on this rebate at least here in Florida. Perhaps in other states this is not required but I doubt it.
    I drive with my headlights on all the time. Even though the truck has driving lights I like having the brighter lights on all the time because I live in an area where a lot of older retirees live and they seem to want to pull out in front of you. In doing this, the gauges are lit up all the time and I don't have any trouble reading them (with the exception of the clock and temperature). The headlights go off in about 30 seconds after you open and close the driver's door, so I just leave them on and don't even bother turning them off. As far as your wife goes-----I don't know what to say except----don't let her drive it. (good luck:))
  • vegasheatvegasheat Member Posts: 6
    I like that price...can you tell me what package and options you got with that price. I live in the Las Vegas area and they are not budging much on their prices. I did find the Toyota dealer online that you bought from but would like to know what options were included. If I could get a good price, I would fly there to pick one up with cash.
    These are the codes,which you can easily translate at your local Toyota dealership. BU, CK, FE, MG, RL, TM, WR, XY4. A young college graduate of the highest caliber I ever met at an automobile dealership, Travis, wrote up and closed on my purchase. I wouldnt be surprised if innot too many years ownes his own dealership. Special arrangements would have to be made for your plan. These codes are on the Tundra 4X2 DCAB 5.7L V8 8242A. I hope I have been able to assist you in some way.
  • michaelsy1michaelsy1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought the crewmax 4x4 SR5 5.7. I am in Pa. I went to the dealer with my own financing and no trade in. I offered them 2% over invoice and that i get the $2500. rebate,which made the vehicle price about $1800. under invoice after the rebate. Well they took the deal! I was a happy camper! When I went to do the paper work they offered me the 0% financing for 60 mo. and a $400. military rebate. and they keep the $2500. rebate. My financing was 4.9 for 60 mo. so when I did the math is was a no brainer. 0% for 60 mo. and paid about $300. over invoice. Shop the dealers and tell them what you want...if they want to sell they will deal. I LOVE MY NEW CREWMAX!