Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    doggboysdoggboys Member Posts: 17
    Thanks!
  • Options
    wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    I recently created a small device from $15 worth parts that enables ALL of the factory NAV functions even while the vehicle is in motion. You can read all the details on my mod site here: WileETundra's mod site

Scroll down to report # 16 - NAV Speed Pulse Generator

Hope this is helpful to some of you. Many people have asked for a solution so I am sharing.
  • Options
    olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    My sonar chime sounds off upon starting the truck after sitting in a good rain. Once given time to dry off it works normally. I guess I'll ask the dealer if there is a fix but was wondering if anyone else with the parking sonars has the same problem.
  • Options
    steffen06steffen06 Member Posts: 7
    I have to agree with the comment that "... these guys have screwed themselves." I had a Dodge Ram 1500 and in the course of 4 years I had 10 (no joke) recalls on this vehicle, by comparison, I had a Toyota 4 Runner for 4 years before buying my Tundra -- NO RECALLS on the 4 Runner - both the Ram and the 4Runnere were 1st yr production vehicles - I think American car makers are far too focused on the bottom line rather than producing a quality product. With regard to Texas being a state -- all the other states are just suburbs of Texas!!!

I have about 1250 miles on my Tundra (5.7L Dbl Cab) and no complaints so far. My only concern is that this truck is a "rocket" and I don't want any speeding tickets.
  • Options
    steffen06steffen06 Member Posts: 7
    My truck sat out in the rain all day today and the sonar didn't sound off - might be something to have your dealer check
  • Options
    crazycanuck4crazycanuck4 Member Posts: 17
    WileETundra, nice to see you here. Loved your Bak Flip modification. Man you must have little or no life other than thinking up mods for this truck.

Question, considering n-fab nerf step. like the look and I don't anticipate heavy off-roading even though I have a TRD D-cab. What do you think? Anyone else want to give their two cents it would be much appreciated.

It is supposed to be for lifted setups but should work on Tundra.
  • Options
    subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    My 07 Tundra is silver. This morning at 10:30 to 11 AM driving due east,the downward lip at the rear of the hood near the windshield, with bright sunlight in a clear Florida sky, reflected blinding sunlight directly into my eyes. This is a normal occurance mid morning or mid afternoon heading west. I am sure that this same design problem can be duplicated in Texas at the factory. A non reflective flat black adhesive strip could be made up for current owners and for new trucks to correct this potentially dangerous problem. Now I don't want to hear from those with limited facilties that I should'nt drive a silver truck just like they say I should'nt wear sunglasses in bright sunlight just because I cant see the illegible 07 Tundra instruments which look like they were designed for a washing machine. This forum can be a useful tool to Tundra owners or a fools playground!
  • Options
    leebanleeban Member Posts: 1
    It doesn't matter what anyone says about the Toyota product...these guys are superior in building trucks. I will pick up my 07' crew max today after driving a Nissan Armada..which is a great SUV...but having a need for a truck..Toyota is unquestionaly the best choice. Take a look around when your at the traffic light. Look at all the good old boys who've dumped thier Fords, Chevy's, and Dodges to get their hands on a Toyota. There is a huge paradym shift on trucks these days. I bought this truck based on it will out last the loan...my son sho is 6 years old will be driving this beast.
  • Options
    iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I have had my truck since March 2007, and I already have 38,776 miles on it. I have one question concerning the fuel numbers in '08, how will 2008 fuel economy numbers be different from 2007 and earlier?

Also I looked at the '07 Expedition before buying my '08 and mileage numbers are totally different ('07 14/20) ('08 12/18) same models just different years why is this???? :confuse:
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The EPA arbitrarily cut all the fuel economy numbers for all 2008 vehicles by 10-20% across the board to take into account that people use AC, drive in winter and driver faster than 55 mph. The net effect on the actual vehicles .. nothing.

For most drivers now we will all exceed the new EPA numbers.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    What kind of mileage have you gotten over your long-term test drive? Towing? One long tank on the highway? :confuse:

DrFill
  • Options
    yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    I agree with all that stuff ....but what happened to the "bounce" problem???? I don't consider it to be a minor problem, it happens 100% of the time, wonder if Toyota is going to do anything or not????. Guess the 08 will tell the story...... great Truck otherwise......
  • Options
    Hey! just returned from St. Maarten and saw your reply,,,,
    I recently went to my Toyota dealer for service on our 05 Sequoia and "bounced" all the trucks on the lot ,, just jump on the rear bumper... All the Tundras ,except the standard cab model, did the deed It must be that the frame is too thin and springy or the bed mounting is too puny????
    Oh yeah,,, I didn't notice the same effect while "bouncing" the Chevys........ See what the 08's do....
  • Options
    I disagree very much Sir. I love this Tundra, but not the bouncy thing.... I drove a 67 Chevy 3/4 ton for 30 years " if you remember, the body was on a seperate A frame, and it had no such nonsense as this problem.....
  • Options
    142.67 miles per day,,,, Wow a lot of driving.... much gas...
  • Options
    h20h20 Member Posts: 42
    I purchased a 07 crew max 4/4 2 weeks ago and feel a vibration between 35 and 40 miles per hour that is quite strong, like rolling over a rocky road.I wonder if any one has herd of this happening?
  • Options
    Sometimes that clears it up. Especially on new tires/wheels.

DrFill
  • Options
    I have 18" alloy's and michelin tires I would hope they would have been balanced at the factory but maybe not, I'll have them checked if it continues. Thanks
  • Options
    Tire balancing can be thrown off by anything. Hit a curb wrong, potholes, even getting off the delivery truck!

Get a lifetime tire balance warranty at a Midas or something, and have it checked if you notice a drivability problem. Might as well do the same for your alignment. Can never be too careful.

These aren't warranty issues. Stuff happens. ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    anythingbuttoyanythingbuttoy Member Posts: 102
    I suggest you go read the posts about this at TS (Tundrasolutions.com). They term it "Rumble Strip" vibrations. It is the tranny/torque converter, not the tires. Seems to be a very common issue with the problematic Tundra trannys. Toyota dealer will likely tell you that you can replace your tranny and you will have a 20% chance of getting another one with the same issues, or live with it until Toyota figures out the problem and fixes it. Here are few of about 20 threads on this, do a search for "rumble strip" on this site and you will find the rest of them.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/103690-2007-6-speed-transmission-fa- - - - - ilures-22/

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/109080-tundra-tranny-problems/

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/110743-question-about-transmission-- - - noises-2007-tundra/

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/109080-tundra-tranny-problems/
  • Options
    Getting off the delivery truck??? C'mon Doc, please don't mislead your "patients" this way. This is not a tire issue and you know it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the threads to the problem.Good thing I choise to get a 7year 100,000 mile warenty.Also from the toysulutions site it sounds like toyota is stepping up to the plate to handle the situation. Thanks
  • Options
    miketnmiketn Member Posts: 1
    I purchased used 2007 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD SR5 with several hundred miles from an older gentleman. He said he purchased it and it was just two big and hard to park.
    Cons
    1. Bed bounce. I live in Southern California where we have many concrete freeways, some of them make my Tundra bounce so bad that if I'm talking my voice wobbles and my insides feel like there coming loose. The Toyota service mgr told me that the rear springs are 3/4 ton. He also suggested to me to add five 50 pound bags of sand to the rear of the bed. I did and the bounce is almost gone. My belief is that the frame flexes or oscillates. (It rode about the same as my sons F250 before the sand)
    3. Towing mirrors. Totally hide small cars on your right at a 4 way intersection (very dangerous). I hate them. 4. Radio stinks and Toyota wanted $300 just for the parts to add XM. Added an Alpine with XM for slightly more than the just the parts price at Toyota, and it sounds incredible.
    5. The front of the truck sat to low. (Added a 4" leveling kit to the front and now sits perfect (maybe it even helped the ride a little.)
    Pros
    1. The seats are by far the most comfortable I have ever sat in.
    2. Love that power and sound from my 5.7 (awesome). Pulled my 5000 pound boat effortlessly. Gets better mileage than my previous Ford F150. 15.5& 18.6 (I just added an undercover tonneau cover should get about 19 on hwy)
    Summary
    I really love my truck, would buy again in a second.
  • Options
    If the balance is fine, take it to Toyota, so you don't waste a couple of hours there with them saying it's something simple.

Buttoy will tell you the truck will explode. Cover your tail. ;)

DrFill
  • Options
    NO, I won't tell him it will explode, and I also wouldn't tell him it's from backing it off the delivery truck. Where do you come up with this stuff doc? My driveway has a rougher transition at the street than a ramp on a car hauler. Maybe I should rebalance my tires daily? :P

Funny how I know more about the issues with the Tundra than a Toyota "Employee" (don't dare say salesman). But my guess is you do know about the issue, but choose to try to keep it under your hat. Typical "Employee".
  • Options
    I have been away from Edmonds for a few years and since I purchaced my new truck I thought I would check it out again. I see the flame throwers are still in use here but I'm just looking for some good info so I can take action on what I need to do next. Since my truck is under warrenty I'm just going to drive it untill it gets worse or there is a recall. Thanks again for your help
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I have a good feeling who this is ... again. But to the point of the thread

It's about Tundra owners and their reactions. If I'm not mistaken you own another truck, one that's having some difficulty in keeping up with the surge in Tundra sales.

There has to be a way for you to set up a 'Let's Bash the Tundra' thread. You can have that one all to yourself.
  • Options
    I am not bashing anything. I simply posted info in regard to h20's post (#1638) based on info I have read. I thought he might find this info a bit more helpful than Doc Fill's tire theory.

How could you possibly know what I own? All you can assume is that it ISN'T a Toyota. Which is correct.
  • Options
    bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    Not bashing? I disagree. Your name, by itself, is inflammatory on a Toyota owners thread. Tells us what you drive which is a better 1/2 ton than the new Tundra? Probably a POS GMC.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you want to debate trucks, go to the Half-ton Pickups - The full field discussion. If you want to attack each other, just leave... or you will be shown the door - your choice.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    would you let me know if the bed flops around and you feel a "bounce- reverberation- or whatever???????????

If you jump on the rear bumper, can you feel the same sensation????
  • Options
    myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    I've owned 5 domestic trucks and 2 Toyotas.

I have to say, until the '07 Tundra came out it was always the usual "we're better" stuff on the web. Now that Toyota has come up with a machine that beats them at their own game, it seems to be like the Big 3 lovers have gone crazy. Every board you visit on the web is full of completely unbelieveable levels of Toyota bashing, complete with fake identities and sob stories later shown to be completely fabricated.

The level of fear and loathing of Toyotas in these guys makes me think that there must be something real to be afraid of. That alone made me decide to go test drive a Tundra when I get a chance. Not a fan of the looks but resale value, power, capacity, quality, and refinement all seem competitive or superior.

I'm sure Tundras have some teething problems. But ask ourself. If Toyota came out with a real dog of a vehicle that never sold, would you be seeing so many bashers lurking? My experience is 4 years with a previous Tundra and minimal problems, and a year with a Tacoma and zero problems. Can't say the same for the Dodge and Chevys I've had. Ford did ok, though.
  • Options
    32.2 mpg, eh? Maybe I'm a stickler but resetting the computer, then coasting down the driveway before checking fuel economy probably doesn't count. so I assume this is some sort of math or computer error.
  • Options
    I bought a Tundra there in Asheville in '99 when they were brand new and red hot. Their no-haggle price listed on their website was $2,000 below anything I could find locally beating my head against the usual salesman types. But even that price was not below invoice. It was a super fast, no hassle transaction. If not for the 4 hour drive each way, I would have used them again.

They're still around, so I guess they're doing something right. I'd say they're worth a shot.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Some of you will be looking at a locked door soon...

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    Sorry.

DrFill
  • Options
    truckertuckertruckertucker Member Posts: 11
    I wanted an excuse to visit my brother who lives not too far from there. With the huge inventory of 2007 Tundras produced, he got real with the pricing early. A breath of fresh air. He didn't have worthless add-ons from his dealership and he didn't seem inclined to purchase such from Toyota (unwanted junk added on). I was able to purchase my 2007 Tundra without having to hear the usual nonsense that insults a buyer's intelligence. For someone who has no patience for assinine salesmen, its a great place to go... (and not that these forums don't have their share). Its been a good truck so far and buying one without getting put in a pissy mood by a salesman or some last minute unilateral agreement makes it that much better.
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Good call Myob. Kcram does a good job of putting the bashers in their place here on Edmunds boards but sites like Toyotanation and Tundrasolutions have been completely littered with goons and slimeballs who have made it their personal vendetta to knock down any positive feedback given about this new truck. It's pretty much impossible to ask a valid question anymore without getting the "Well it'll never be a perfect truck like a Silverado so don't waste your time" kinda crap. Ask a question about adding a lift kit or tow hitch and get bombarded with "Well if the Camshaft snaps or your engines gets sludged up..."

It's all just words on a computer screen. The true test of the new Tundra will be how the truck holds up over time. A good friend of mine has one and it's been good to him. Certainly no worse than the two Sierra :lemon: 's that he had before it...

A quick search

link title

Plenty of high mileage Tundras out there, pretty good indicator of how they hold up over the long haul.

Toyota is probably loving the attention they're getting. All the negative postings just reinforce how strong a contender the new Tundra really is. It's the last domestic stronghold here in the states that they need to get into. And as long as they continue to build them here then I have no reason to hope for failure. :shades:
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Toyota Announces 13 More Models And Pricing For 2008 Tundra Lineup

10/02/2007

October 2, 2007 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. (TMS), Inc. expanded the Tundra full-size pickup truck lineup for 2008, adding 13 new model variations and enhancing standard equipment levels to create a greater value. The 2008 Tundra now offers a choice of 44 model variations in three cab styles. Since its introduction in February 2007, Tundra's share of the half-ton full-size pickup truck segment has more than doubled, going from eight to 17 percent.

"Tundra has been an outstanding success for Toyota and its dealers, and additions to the 2008 model line are intended to maintain our momentum," said Bob Carter, Toyota Motor Sales group vice president and Toyota Division general manager. "Despite tough market conditions, Tundra retail sales were up 57.9 percent through September YTD, and we are on track to achieve our goal of 200,000 unit sales for 2007."

link title
  • Options
    toyota4lifetoyota4life Member Posts: 53
    Good job anythngbutgm,You pretty much cover everything i had to say about trolls coming to Toyotas forum,If you go to silverado forums ,Not one toyota fan is over there putting down those trucks, No matter how much problems i read about over there,Pretty sad !
  • Options
    bigkenbigken Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone else have the remote start? I have a DC SR5 5.7 W/TRD exhaust and the remote start is terrible. I have to be within 30 feet to make it start. If you forget to lock the doors in a parking lot you have to turn around and walk to within 30 to 40 feet to lock the doors.
  • Options
    tomktomktomktomk Member Posts: 7
    I have followed the instructions on page 178 of my 2007 DC 4x4 Tundra manual and I cannot get this message to reset.
    I have changed my own oil at 3k, now 4.5k rolls around and this message appears.
    Has anyone else reset this message on their own?
  • Options
    yep I think you are correct, the frame flexes and oscillates, I wonder what Toyota can do to fix it??? Make sure you drive the 08 when they become available......
  • Options
    I am not bashing, I paid for my truck, and like everything except the stupid "Bouncing" Have you driven one yet?????? :P
  • Options
    jpmrwbjpmrwb Member Posts: 4
    I too have a bed bounce in my 2007 Tundra DC. It sounds like something is loose but I don't think there is. I have the TRD Offroad package and I thought because I have the stiffer shocks that might have been it. If it continues to do it I will take it in to the dealer and ask if him anyone else has had the same problem.

JPMRWB :mad:
  • Options
    jpmrwbjpmrwb Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you need to run as far away from this dealer. I have heard of dealers trying to get you to pay for their advertising fees but all the other is hogwash. The way you want to buy a truck is to do the following:
    Go to Edmunds and price out the truck you want with all the options. Get the Dealers Invoice (Cost) and the MSRP price.
    Also go to Bluebook.com and do the same thing. You will see that the wholesale and MSRP prices on both sites should be the same.
    After adding all you options you want add it all up and get the dealers cost. From this figure add any profit you want to that figure. Based on the demand of the truck you want will dictate how much over their cost you are willing to pay. Forget about MSRP it is worthless and shouldn't ever come into play. The only other costs you are required to pay is the freight charges and tax and license. All the other addons are BS. Realize even if you paid the dealer his invoice price (What the Manufacturer charges him) the dealer still gets a "REBATE" from the manufacturer. Toyota I think it is around 2-4%. Since I don't know where you live I don't know what additional factory addons are required in your area of the country. That is why it is good to go to Kellybluebook.com because they break down required equipment for different areas of the country. I know the dealer you are dealing with is a crook because he is trying to get you to pay for 2% HOLDBACK which is the REBATE that the manufacturer PAYS the dealer on the sale. Now why would you pay for money that the dealer is getting from the manufacturer? I hope you didn't buy from this dealer. It is making me mad just thinking about it.
    Always remember, once you have the DEALERS COST you are in the drivers seat. Now you can decide how much profit the dealer will make. Otherwise leave and go to another dealer. As I said the REBATE, or HOLDBACK is paid to the dealer by Toyota so even if he sold you the truck at invoice he would still be making money. Also,never discuss payments with a dealer until you negotiate the price of the new vehicle. The payments flow from the price of the vehicle not the other way around. Also never take the extended warrently BS. This is the highest priced insurance you can buy. I have a 7 Toyotas and I never needed any extended warrently.
    Good luck to you and I hope this has helped in some small way. I bought a new 2007 Tundra DC and I paid $2,600 below the dealers cost. Since I live in Idaho the guys here only like the US makes, Chev, Ford, Dodge. I had a lot of bargaining power and it helped big time with the price.
    Joe from Idaho :)
  • Options
    tomktomktomktomk Member Posts: 7
    The manual is wrong.
    The manual says that the odometer must be listed when turning the key to the off position.

Instead, to the following:

With the engine running or the key in the "ON" position, make sure that trip A is displayed.
    Turn the key to the off position.
    Turn the key to the ACC position.
    Press and hold the trip reset button.
    Turn the key to the "ON" position while holding the trip reset button.
    Keep holding the trip reset button until the display says Maint Reqd Soon Reset COMPLETE .
    This will require at least 5 seconds to hold the trip reset button down.
  • Options
    bigkenbigken Member Posts: 7
    I have 7500 Miles on my sr5 D.C. and I have never experienced (bed bounce) nor have I benn able to duplicate it by jumping on my truck or any at the local dealers. I am unhappy with my remote start. I am looking for anyone who has experience with a toyota remote start.
  • Options
    subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    We now have 7600 mi. on our 5.7 DC 2WD and have just returned from a 1200 mi. trip from Fl. to NC mountains Asheville and back. Average mpg up was 19.5 mpg including all touring there and 19.7 back. I held average interstate highway to 72 mph. At 75 mph mpg would drop to 17.5 mpg. I drove over all types of rough concrete, blacktop dirt roads with no bed bounce. I do not state this to undermine in any way those owners that are experiencing this problem. On a few occasions going down hill with an auto down shift from about 30 mph down to 20 mph we could hear and feel a klunk in the transmission which is a little unnerving. Otherwise the Tundra provided a perfect trip except for the illegible instruments in bright sunlight.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply, maybe there are different frames on some models, gotta believe it when you all say there is no problem. Glad you are happy with your truck.... :)