Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• Options
    yota4trukyota4truk Member Posts: 34
    I haven't thought about remote starting, but I think there is a "chip" in the ignition key that is required to satisfy the computer in order to start-up.???? Whoever built the remote should have planned for that???? Thanks for the input on the bounce..... :)
  • Options
    subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    Our Tundra 5.7 DC is a 2WD and no TRD off road suspension. That must or could be the difference. In that case perhaps different shocks with different valving could correct the bed bounce problem. Also due to my typo, the post on out tundra should read 3600 mi not 7600. On a 2000 Toyota Tacoma I was able to correct rear end hop with simply installing a set of KYB shocks on the rear for $27.00 each. I don't understand why we hear nothing from Toyota on this matter.
  • Options
    :mad: I have just contacted Toyota and told them that I don't understand why they haven't put out some info on this either.. Some other owners have told me that they do not experience the bounce either, these Tundras are built in Texas and Indiana ( don't want to even go there).. I am not going to try and fix this on my own until Toyota takes some kind of action, wonder if the 08 will bounce????? :mad:
  • Options
    txtoyotatxtoyota Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I were thinking about buying a new 2007 Toyota Tundra pickup, and we did our first test drive today. We drove a quad cab (not a crew cab) with the large engine in the truck, 6-speed auto transmission. Two negatives for me: visibility when I turned around to change lanes--the rear side posts combined with the rear seat neck rests obscured vision for the driver.

The second negative: the bounciest cab ride I have ever had. I thought my 1990 Ford Explorer 4-door was bouncy. In the 2007 Tundra as we rolled down I-10 at 70 mph, whenever I or the salesman (riding in the front passenger seat) spoke, our voices came out with tremors in them from our bouncing: ah - ah - ah, like when you speak directly into the spinning blades of a box fan.

What's up with that bounce? I felt like my breath was being bounced out of me with each syllable. The salesman's explanation? This is a "truck" ride. Well, that's not a ride I've had in any trucks I've ridden in, and I've ridden in and driven a lot of trucks.

I really, really, really wanted to like the 2007 Tundra. I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 138,000 absolutely trouble-free miles on it (unlike prior Detroit brands I have owned), so I wanted my old man to get a Toyota pickup.

Maybe Toyota hasn't been making full-size trucks long enough to get it perfected yet.
  • Options
    Hey!!! check out the 08, maybe they have fixed something and not making it known yet...... gotta be the frame and there should be some way to make it go away. If I put about 500 lbs behind the rear axle, it rides normal..... you have described the ride better than any I have heard, exactly ... :mad:
  • Options
    h20h20 Member Posts: 42
    I've had my crew max for a month now (1000 miles) I know thats not much but I have not had any of the problems mentioned here except for the rumble strip syndrom,and I hope anything that my go wrong with that will be handled by warrenty.This is my fourth toyota truck, they have all been bullet proof so far hope the trend cuntinues, Just my opinion h20
  • Options
    jerabaubjerabaub Member Posts: 6
    Bought a 4X4 Limited Doublecab with 5.7 engine. Just love it. Did not get TRD package. Mine does not bounce. Better gas mileage than what was expected. Great sound system. Extremely strong acceleration(very important to me).
    Is there anyway to get even stronger acceleration(0-60MPH)times, such as duel exhausts or supercharge, which would not void the warranty from manufacturer or adversely affect gas mileage?
  • Options
    lvegalvega Member Posts: 2
    I have the same rumble strip syndrome. I took it to the dealer and like always they don't know anything about it. The supposedly align the drive shaft but still with the same problem. Now they said to wait for more information from Toyota. :mad:
  • Options
    truckrbobtruckrbob Member Posts: 2
    you can put duel exhaust on your truck it will not break the warranty i have a 4x4 doublecab with a 5.7 and the TRD package i had toyota put the TRD duel exhaust system on my truck for about $1100.00 and it is all stainless steel system also was told by the service department that it would add about 20 more horsepower to the truck if you get the toyota duel exhaust system u will love it sounds real nice not to loud :)
  • Options
    lvegalvega Member Posts: 2
    Yes...me too!...but my dealer is investigating.
  • Options
    I was tould by friends that if you don't have it put on by toyota they will give you a hard time when it comes to getting your warrenty work done. This includes flowmaster or any other system you install. Its about the $ as usual so beware. h20
  • Options
    12ozcurls12ozcurls Member Posts: 65
    its the torq converter in the transmission. check it out.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/toyota/tundra/transmissions/page1.html
  • Options
    olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 07 DC limited 4X4 TRD 5.7, Timberland Mica, Beige lthr., Nav. & sonar, about 2 months ago. It has about 2800mi. on it now from a mix of in town and highway driving. I have not had it off road yet. I also have yet to tow my boat or load heavy but will report on those things later.
    To give some background,I have been driving pick-ups for over 25 yrs. and have had several 1/2 and 3/4 ton models in many cab and bed configurations. Mostly Fords, but have used some late model Chevys and a Dodge too. I traded my 02 F250 mod'd (380hp) Powerstroke, 4X4 CC SB Lariat for the Tundra. I am certainly not an expert but do have quite a bit of experience and see things through the eyes of an engineer. I'd like to share what I have experienced and observed for what it's worth to anyone interested.
    First of all, the Tundra is (by far) the nicest,most refined and best performing truck I have ever driven. It is quiet, smooth ,tight and extremely comfortable. I am 6'2" and 240. To say I love my truck is an understatement.
    Now for the nuts and bolts about the "issues".

"Bed bounce (frame)".. I have yet to experience it at all. I have driven (empty) over many surfaces including concrete hwy and have even tried to find a surface to get the problem to surface. It has not. I do not doubt that it exists for some and may "find" the right road someday out of my area. Therefore, will accept any fix Toyota may come up with. I do not however, believe the reported problem to be solely related to the frame. It seems more than adaquate for a 1/2 ton truck even though not fully boxed. Take a look at any heavy duty truck, 3/4 ton through big rigs, and see how many have boxed sections in the rear you see. I expect nearly none. I think it's more likely related to a combination of things combined to create just the wrong set of circumstances.

"Transmission shudder (rumble strip syndrome)".... I have not seen a hint of anything wrong done by my 6-speed. It has been flawless so far.

"Gauges hard to read"... Not mine. Perhaps because the Limited gauges "dayglow". I have no problems whatsoever, with or without polarized sunglasses. Because they're recessed, my wife can not see them from the passenger seat but that's just fine with me.

"Ugly plastic Dash"... This is one area I do think is a significant shortfall. To remedy that, I dealer optioned the wood grain dash kit which is a MAJOR improvement. It now looks fantastic. Everyone who gets in the truck comments on how nice the interior looks.

"My minor gripes"... It's hard to find fault in this truck but there are a few things. Yes, there is a bad blind spot at the rear cab quarters enhanced buy the rear headrests. The mirrors (mine are non-towing) are excellent though, which helps, and in my case, the sonars help at least while parking.
    I also wish the door lock controls lit at night. Especially with a new vehicle, fumbling for controls at night shouldn't be part of the deal.
    Although the truck is very comfortable once in it, getting in requires a little more contortion than I'm used to. Not bad, but more than my past Fords.
    All in all I am very pleased with my Tundra. I will report again after I've worked it out some. I expect it to do well.
  • Options
    squire2squire2 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2007 Tundra 4.7 4x4 reg. cab (2200km). I find it rather rough on fuel. I know it should get better but when should I expect this to happen? 10 000km? Other than that I luv it!
  • Options
    I viewed your well written post with great interest, especially your instruments legability experience. I immediately contacted Toyota and they claim there is no difference in the Limited instruments and know nothing about the "dayglow" term. I dont wear glasses and have no vision problems, but I positively can not read these very dim instruments in bright daylight. I am going to take my Tundra back to the dealer and ask to drive another with the service mgr. In fact, I have already made the appointment for tomorrow. Previously they told me my Tundra was normal and there was no fix yet.
  • Options
    After being told this morning by Toyota that there was no difference in the Limited gauges and the SR-5, I got an 07 Tundra sales brochure. On page 30 it shows that the Limited uniquely has "Optitron gauges". When I called back to ask what Optitron gauges were the second time they said they didn't know. I called back the third time and a man was rude to me. He said at first they were not technical and very reluctently checked to tell me the optitron gauges were digital. I thought perhaps my gauges could be upgraded since my inability to read them is not only inconvenient but also a safety concern. He rudely asked me if I couldnt read the instruments before I bought the truck. I told him that it was 9AM when I drove it on an overcast day, not mid day sun. He then told me that Toyota wasn't going to do anything about it. If this is the way owners are going to be treated by Toyota, then class action suit comes to mind.
  • Options
    I could be wrong, and if so would appreciate someone correcting the record, but I think Optitron gauges on the Limited are merely digital readouts of current gasoline consumption, number of miles before requiring refueling, etc.

This digital information appears on a small rectangular box on the speedometer or RPM dial. I believe the SR5 does not have this feature.

It is nice to have, but not having it is no drawback.

By the way, I love my Limited, and would love it just as much if it were an SR5...except I do like the Limited's sound system. SR5 is a fine truck, too. It is the engine, the 5.7 liter with the 6 speed transmission, that makes this such a fine truck.
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Optitron gauges are very bright night and day. The term refers to the type of illumination used. Doubt if they could be retro fitted very easily after market.
  • Options
    I finally found a description of Optitron instruments on the web with a Toyota logo. Optitron driving instruments are designed for greater clarity and reduced eye fatigue. Ergonomically optimized, theyuse individual LEDS on every figure and indicator needle, doing away with traditional instrument illumination. Optitron provides outstanding clear readability-leading to less eyestrain-and enhanced driving concentration, whatever the ambient light conditions. The instrument panel lights up when you turn the ignition key. First used in aircraft reducing number of dials, improved lightning pilot reaction times and safety was improved dramatically. If you read this you will know more than Toyota corporate customer service as I found out today. Would'nt it have been nice if Toyota would have used this system on all Tundras instead of just the Limited!!! This is especially true due to the poor instrument lighting design on all the other Tundras.
  • Options
    olerascalolerascal Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to hear you're bad luck with the truck's gauges and dealer. I would be unhappy too.
    I couldn't remember the "optitron" term so just genericly referred to them as "dayglow". I'm not trying to rub it in but they are great. You don't even have to drive a limited to see. In daylight, just get in and turn the key on. It would not surprise me, considering your experience, that if you raise a big enough stink with Toyota (Corporate, not dealer) that they figure out a way to fit your SR5 with optitron instruments
  • Options
    sloooseslooose Member Posts: 16
    I have been reading all the comments about the poor visibility of the gauges on the new Tundra and I don't understand them. I don't mean to be rude or crude and obviously the people that are complaining must have a valid complaint-----but----I don't see what they are complaining about. I have an SR5 with the 5.7 DBL Cab and the bucket seat configuration. I ALWAYS drive with my headlight ON and I have never had a problem seeing my gauges---and I'm an "old fart". The ONLY problem I have with the gauges is the clock and temperature read out when I'm wearing polarized sunglasses----then I have a difficult time. I did read one message that somebody wrote, and I agreed with, in that his wife couldn't read the gauges from the passenger seat and therefore couldn't tell how fast he was going----right on!!! I must be lucky too because i haven't had any of the torque
    converter problems or the bed bounce or any of those problems-----yet. The only problem I've encountered is what I called a "drive line play" when I started off from a stop. I seemed like the RPM's would go alot higher than the acceleration did at first and then everything would catch up. That has either gone away or I have learned how to drive to avoid it. I hope these people with the problems get some satisfaction from Toyota because if they don't that would make me hesitant to buy another one.
  • Options
    In all fairness, I find no fault with the dealer. This is the responsibility of Toyota. The service mgr and I checked today a new 07 SR-5 instrument panel and it was worse than mine. He is checking to see if he can change out my instrument cluster for the optitron used on the Limited, but I would have to pay for it. No one can read the instruments clearly on my truck with a bright sunlit Florida sky and under these conditions it is impossible with sunglasses. The dealer acknowledges this problem but Toyota has not provided him with a resolution. I will attempt to have Toyota to compensate me if the conversion is possible because I believe they are in breach of contract by delivering to me a defective product which is unsafe and limited in its intended use. After talking to Toyota representatives, I now believe that many of Tundra owner defect issues will have to be resolved only by state lemon law or class action suits. This is sad because in many ways this truly is a great truck.
  • Options
    saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Your complaint is not Toyota's responsibility in the least. You should have realized that before the purchase.

You might as well be complaining because the paint job isn't the exact shade you thought it was when you bought the truck. Makes no sense.
  • Options
    THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE MENTALITY OF THE TOYOTA REPRESENTATIVES I HAVE SPOKEN TO. IN FACT YOU MAY BE ONE I SPOKE TO BECAUSE THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID. WHAT PERSON WITH NORMAL FACILTIES WOULD HAVE DIFFICALTY UNDERSTANDING NO ONE CAN READ THE INSTRUMENTS WHEN THERE IS BRIGHT SUNLIGHT AND HOW SERIOUS THE PROBLEM IS. THE DEALER ACKNOWLEDGES THIS PROBLEM BUT HAS NOT BEEN DIRECTED AS TO HOW TO FIX IT BY TOYOTA.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    His point was that the reason you do a test drive and look over the vehicle before purchase is to determine if this vehicle fits you in all kinds of ways, including visibility of the gauges. If it doesn't then there are plenty of other choices. I'm sure that you did test drive it didn't you?

Now if there are improvements to be made in different areas and enough people make their preferences known then it is up to the manufacturer to make changes or risk losing sales.

It's just business.
  • Options
    rcanturcantu Member Posts: 12
    try tinting your front windows. the darker shade will help you out seeing the dash plus you will be cooler inside since it's that bright and I'll assume warm too.
  • Options
    toyota4lifetoyota4life Member Posts: 53
    You guys should realise not everyone on here actually owne a Tundra,SHOCKING! :surprise: right? This campaign against the Tundra started a long time ago,They are two tundras on my job and never once has anybody complain about gauges,But some people do have cataract,so that may explain it ;) not that i am calling anybody a liar,just saying....... :P
  • Options
    mfhallmfhall Member Posts: 22
    Guess I'll chime in about the "gauge" issue. I'am a proud owner of the 4/4 LTD 2Cab (6 months an about 5500 miles). I have absolutely no problems with the gauges. They are clear, easy to read in any light condition, and actually look pretty cool.
  • Options
    2007 SR5 crew max gauges, no problem at all.
  • Options
    toyota4lifetoyota4life Member Posts: 53
    Not that the tundra is perfect but alot of these people complaining are GM paid personel,2 of the 3 tundras on my job has had the tailgate problem and are now fixed,if people thinks consumers are going to stop buying the truck because of internet propaganda think again,look at the camry ,every body and their mama had a camry with problems and now no other car can sell like it,look at the F150 dispite all the fire problems it sells like crazy,atleast Toyota is not doing like GM..........When you make as many cars as GM, you're bound to make some clunkers, as this ever-growing collection shows. Hoping to improve its image, GM has extended the warranty on its 2007 models,Like other manufacturers, GM is often reluctant to publicly admit problems. Instead, it describes such things as banging engines in brand-new trucks as "perfectly normal," while secretly buying back vehicles from consumers who are assertive to retain a lawyer. It's been playing this little game lately with its full-sized pickups and SUVs.

Then there's DexCool, the standard coolant on many new GM vehicles. The owner's manual states that this stuff lasts up to 100,000 miles. In fact, in all too many cases, the coolant turns to gunk long before then, causing serious problems that include overheating and subsequent engine failure. GM knows about the problem but so far has refused to take responsibility.

source consumeraffairs
  • Options
    mule2mule2 Member Posts: 11
    I had a 2004 Chevy Z71 that I bought new. The transmission would make a clunking noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd I complained several times to GM finally got a bulletin from dealer stating the noise and it said do not attempt to repair it. It also said it had been ongoing from early 2000 thru 2007 that means they put the same transmissions with problem in 2007 models and may continue to put them in newer models.Also the truck made a clunking noise inside the steering column they had to pull it up and grease it this has been going on for several year models when warranty goes out the proud owner will have to pay to have it fixed. Some people own GM forum has talked about the problems maybe some day the auto manufacturers will start fixing problems when they first occur and not let their consumers have to worry with them.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Let's not get into bashing other brands, please.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Also the truck made a clunking noise inside the steering column they had to pull it up and grease it this has been going on for several year models when warranty goes out the proud owner will have to pay to have it fixed.

A buddy of mine had his Int. Steering shaft replaced on multiple occasions with his Sierra's, a common problem apparently... His wife's Suburban just had one as well. Probably could've driven it a little longer, but that thing is on it's way out due to it's aweful mileage which is not something you want in the days of $3+ gas. So rather than get knocked on tradein, he got it fixed.

Saw him over the weekend, he's got 13k on his 5.7l SR5 DC without any issues. I looked at the tailgate and it didn't have any cracks or kinks, but I don't really know how much weight it sees. We were stepping up and out loading brush and crap from fall cleanup and it seemed solid :confuse: Anyways, it is a very nice driving rig. Heck, I'd buy one for myself if I could justify it over a much more practical Tacoma or nissan Frontier.
  • Options
    mule2mule2 Member Posts: 11
    I seem to get rowled up when i think about the gm. rep saying i was going to have to live with a problem with the rear end , forcing me to go for the lemon law before they would fix it.I'm retired with limted funds so i have to buy something that will last.I bought a new tundra hoping to get quality but time will tell. I do believe the toyota will do what's right with any problem i have.
  • Options
    svaughnsrussvaughnsrus Member Posts: 1
    HELP would you purchase my 2007 Toyota Tundra at Full Blue Book Value. Please Respond my new truck has 4000 miles needs a new motor, Toyota will replace my long block no charge DID MY RESALE VALUE GO DOWN i am fighting for a new truck Please respond PLEASE PLEASE
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A truck needs an engine to be worth anything. Toyota is willing to replace your engine for free, which is what they are responsible for under the terms of the warranty. In order to justify a new truck, this would have to have been a repetitive issue that resulted in the engine failure, or a failure that had a significant effect to other components. Since they're only looking to replace the engine, Toyota has determined everything else is functional (transmission, driveline). At 4000 miles, the engine replacement will likely not do much to the resale value - in 5 years, the new engine will also be 5 years old.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Options
    netruckmannetruckman Member Posts: 1
    I had been looking at buying a truck for year or so. I finally got my finances ready to buy a new truck, decided after a long search on the Tundra, and on Aug. 24th ORDERED a 2007 SR5 w/a bench seat (6 in my family), NAV system w/ JBL sound system (a few more extra's). Over 2 months went by and I finally got the news my truck was being built. I asked for the specs on it and saw it was a 2008 w/BUCKET seats, some options I didn't ask for and some of the options I wanted missing (besides the bench seat). I was told Toyota had changed the RULES for the 08's (no bench seat on SR5's) and my truck was not able to be built as I had ordered it. I went off on the sales guys, saying we had a written order and they broke the contract. After 7 days of waiting to hear from their regional manager I was told again 'we can't build it'. Needless to say I am pissed at Toyota for not building my truck simply because I was a few days after their rule changes. The truck didn't change, just someone's idea of what 'all truck buyers' want.
    Un-freaking-believable! :mad:
  • Options
    hey ,,don't be peed off maybe the 08 won't "bounce"!!!! :)
  • Options
    truckertuckertruckertucker Member Posts: 11
    Since I grew up bouncing around inside 1950 - 1960 log trucks pulling loads through the woods, across bayous, and rows of cotton, I never paid much attention to any bounce. A bounce that causes me to have grab my surgeon's back pills would get mey attention. But I'm feeling a different sort of lingering vibration when I hit deep potholes and abrubt speed bumps as opposed to what I feel in other trucks. Does this sound like anything close to what's going on with your bouncing ?

SR5 DC 5.7L 2WD 2007 Tundra (no TRD).
  • Options
    Mine does not bounce. I used to have a tacoma, 2006, extended, with the v-6, not a four wheel drive. It was definitely light in the rear end, but overall was a most impressive small truck. I now have a 2007 tundra doublecab, with 4 wheel drive and the 5.7. I just love it. Invent reasons just to take it out for a drive, even with gasoline prices being what they are. Love the performance. Might get trde supercharger when it comes out, but probably won't. Too expensive. Still, am very tempted.
  • Options
    absolutely, exactly what I am talking about, I just came back from the dealer's lot and the 08's do the same thing.... YUK!!!!!!! Several communications with Toyota have assured me that they are working on it , butttttttttttttt..... I still maintain that the frame is too flexible , they keep using thinner and thinner steel because they "formulate" it to be stronger. There comes a point when strength and flexibility part ways,,,,,, :mad:
  • Options
    Is your Tundra a long bed??? I noticed that the long bed 08 doesn't bounce as bad as mine but I can still detect it.. :surprise:
  • Options
    cgassenbergercgassenberger Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 SR5 Crew Max and I love the gauges......no problem seeing them.
  • Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    Hey, do or has anybody out there experienced the following with the transmission?

I've noticed at least three times that when I have the VSC "off" and the truck is cold
    (in the morning) that the transmission doesn't shift. It seems to stay in third gear for quite awhile. If I put the VSC on it shifts right away and continues to shift normally--or one time I put it into manual shift and it started to shift normally. No big deal---but I was just wondering if any body else had this happen. Also, in the morning or when it's (the transmission) after driving about two blocks I have to slow to go around a corner I have always noticed that the transmission kind of lets the engine over rev a little bit before shifting into gear.
  • Options
    most vehicles have a sensor in the computer to let the transmission warm up before shifting, both our 05 Sequioa and 07 Tundra exhibit what you are reporting.

Also the "over rev" you mention could be the simple "downshift" ,as the downshift occurs the tach will jump up because of the ratio change "normal" :)
  • Options
    Well that's nice to know about your Sequioa and Tundra---thanks for the info. I would of thought the transmission would shift into a higher gear to let the engine warm up quicker with less RPM's. Like I said it's no big deal I just have never experienced it before in any of my vehicles. As for the downshift (or what ever it is) it just seems like there is a lot of "free revving" when that happens. I'm sure it's downshifting but it just seems like there is a lot of time and revs before it actually "catches" a gear. I'm not complaining I really like this truck. The more I drive it the more I like it. I haven't experienced ANY of the problems that I've seen written about in this forum. I have a Dbl.Cab/short bed/5.7/4x4, with bucket seats and center console. I think it may actually be quieter than my '07 Acura MDX even with aggressive tread on the tires. :D
  • Options
    gdu4gdu4 Member Posts: 1
    We are planning to purchase a 5.7L, DC, 4X4 SR5 Tundra and a 28 ft Outback. Have you had more experience towing your trailer. We will be doing full-time RVing and need to know if this truck can handle it Has the.gas mileage improved? We currently have a F250 and are getting 10 mpg pulling a 29 ft fifth wheel. We need to know if the 2007/2008 trucks can handle towing an 8,500 lbs trailer day-in and day out across the country and still get decent gas mileage..
  • Options
    kosh1931kosh1931 Member Posts: 4
    Welcome to the poor gas mileage club.
    I purchaseda 2007 Tundra 4.7 Dbl Cab 4x4 in May and have about 6,000 miles on it.
    I get 11/12 locally and 15.7 mpg hi-way (the best) hi-way. I really can't believe those reports of 18-20 mpg often claimed. Must be all downhill.
    However, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned and there has been a lot of them.
  • Options
    coolrthnucoolrthnu Member Posts: 1
    Thats funny about looking for reasons to drive. I was just in garage looking at truck in underwear & t-shirt and thought of getting dressed to go drive. Its 11:pm. lol