Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

1323334353638»

Comments

• damanshowdamanshow Member Posts: 1
    I have the engine knock
    1. 1st time Took it to dealer first t they said " yup its normal .
    2. 2nd time when it got loader Yup its normal again
    3. 3rd I called toyota customer car they said : " its up to the dealer to see if there is a problem and we cant do anything if the dealer says its normal

I went to the dealer ( its now summer and the knock is not as load when warm but you can still here it ) and they said" we could hear it "
    WTF does toyota TCC and dealers just blackball their customers now

Now my trainy is shifting hard and slips a bit when letting off gas then coming onto it again .

KL67- can you give me some wording to use when I call toyota customer care so they wont give me the same BS run around

I am really fed up as I thought toyota would be a best built truck and worth the extra money than buying from the big 3 but this 5.7 L is looking like a lemon
  • theracingmindtheracingmind Member Posts: 7
    I'm disappointed in the brake life of my 2007 Tundra 5.7L 2WD. Only 68,000 km and they tell me it needs rotors and pads front and rear - over $1500 in repairs. The truck runs fine and there is no sign of brake problems, but I have wondered about the TRAC mechanism, which applies the brakes and maybe wears them out. I am gentle on brakes and half the mileage is on highways. I would have expected much better life on those massive rotors. Overall, after nearly 3 years of owning one, I would not buy another Tundra - too many hidden costs, too many weird recalls, too much interference by electronic traction controls, too expensive to maintain.
    I picked up my truck from the dealership service without getting the brakes done, and see that they estimate 65% brake wear. Since they want to replace the rotors anyway, I'll service them when they are completely worn - another 30K km more, hopefully. I checked the Toyota web site and they claim 100K miles on the rotors (160K km). I will be lucky to get 50,000 miles on my brakes.
  • heslopeheslope Member Posts: 2
    I have a Lance camper on my 2010 Tundra 4w 5.7 TRD Off Road. I added the usual air bag 'LoadLeveler'. Overall I am very pleased with camper (designed for the Tundra) combination. Does anyone have any knowledge off how to limit the somewhat rough ride on poor roads. aka most deteriating highways.
  • cp101cp101 Member Posts: 6
    Had my Ford F-250 sprayed with an Onyx brand liner. Supposed to be better formulation than Line-X. Can't really say either way since it is the first spray in liner I've ever had, but I can tell you I'm now sold on the idea of spray in liners. The bed should probably never rust (at least not from the inside). The material is intimately bonded to the bed. What's amazing is how much quieter my truck is now (I guess the metal bed used to resonate road noise or something else which it no longer does - the truck is noticeably quieter). Highly recommend spraying your bed. Just shop around carefully. The guy spraying your bed has to know what they're doing or it will come out sloppy. Ask to see examples of their work, make sure the quality is guaranteed, and try to find a professional looking shop with a good local history/reputation.
  • ktz4ktz4 Member Posts: 5
    When I changed my flat on my 2006 tundra, since the spare was still flat, the sensor still lit up. The light did go off when the dealer pump up the flat spare.
    Don't know what had happen since then, but it's flashing right now, I've been driving with the "flasher" for 40K miles now. costco tire checked and the sensor does broadcast, you are right about 120$ per sensor.
  • lcw1lcw1 Member Posts: 36
    Wow! Reading the posts and discovering all these problems makes me feel very lucky. I purchased my 4.7 SR5 Tundra in 2007 and so far every mile I drove was as pleasurable as the first one. Never had a single problem nor a disappointment. Due to the cost of gas I was contemplating the purchase of a high gas mileage car and drove the new high tech Ford Focus, Elantra, Civic and Forte. Needless to say my Tundra is in a league by itself and getting only 19 MPG is a small price to pay.
    Has anyone had a problem with the hubcaps on Tundra alloy wheels disintigrating? My 2007 Tundra lost two hubcaps from the rear wheels. The cap came off leaving the ring and 5 tabs. When I removed the remaining caps by hand, without using any tools to pry them off, I found that both remaining caps also had broken tabs. When I took them to the dealership, they wanted to charge me $75 each for replacement caps. They said there was no recall for the caps.
  • mia4807mia4807 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Tundra, regular cab with more than 100,000 miles on it. I used it to travel long distance miles since I work in Telecommunication. I change the oil every 5,000 or less, used the synthetic oil. In short, I keep it in good condition...I thought.

However, for some reason, it runs sluggish and I was told by the mechanic that I need the fuel filter change. But when I talked to a Toyota mechanic, he told me that I have to change the whole system; fuel pump since it came with it. And on top of that it would cost me $1000.00.

Can someone give me an advise, I am confused since other mechanics don't charge me that much in their bid.

Thank you,

Craig
  • pvtcablepvtcable Member Posts: 7
    Buyer beware:
    Toyota is not telling anyone of this problem so I will. Vehicles with flex fuel have a problem with starting. The ignition turns over but it will not fire. Eventually after several attempts it may start however from that point on the vehicle will run rough as if the choke is on. It will definitely run more rich until it is fixed.it will need to go in for service every time you get 7-8 fillups.Toyota indicates all you have to do is move to a warmer climate where it's over 50 degrees, don't drive less than 5 minutes. Never run less than 1 quarter of a tank of fuel.they also said that I can bring it back for service anytime it does this. It happens to me about every 2 weeks. I drive almost 50,000 miles per year and it doesn't take long to fill up 7 times.Toyota will not let you out of your lease and will not offer a new vehicle so itthe only solution that I could see is go to the lemon law and get an attorney.Toyota has to pay attorneys fees under the lemon laws. personally, I feel what they are doing is fraud. They know there's a problem they do not have a fix they continue to sell these vehicles and do not let you out of your lease or replace the vehicle.
    I am a repeat customer of Toyota many times but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Beware of Toyota's problems they do not provide any quick solution.I bought a new vehicle thinking I would be able to depend on it. I don't have time to drive to their service garage every 2 weeks. They have had my truck for 2 weeks this time this is the third time in.
    good luck to anyone with this problem.