Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• supr88supr88 Member Posts: 1
    i live in the torrance area and i have dirven next to two 2007 tundra's. They both have the stealth pading on them and are followed by a few other toyota cars. i took a picture of them on my camera phone but only rear views. I drive an 1986 toyota supra and these tundras are larger then any toyota trucks i have seen. ill keep you posted if i see them again :)
  • bronco7bronco7 Member Posts: 1
    There are going to be 31 different config of the new tundra, the launch on this new truck is going to bigger then when the introed LEXUS. Stand by you non believers, and your mega cab will need some new ponies to out pull it. So keep your research eng reving. As for bugs, i would not buy a DOG in mean :lemon: DOUGE in any year.
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    As each month goes by I become more impatient waiting at least for some more spy pics (undisguised) of the new truck and its sister Sequoia, besides the electric blue pics from the Chicago auto show of the Tundra which doesn't do much for picturing it in a normal everyday situation, like in a driveway next to my 4Runner.... Why is it they manage to do such a good job hiding it when we some manufacturers almost intentionally let them get spied over a year before release. I guess Toyota doesn't need to tease us, we just stay interested and wait in anticipation.
  • mschuylermschuyler Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a truck, so I'm interested in all the latest. I saw the Chicago display. Pretty cool looking truck, but I'm not sure why all the fawning over it. For example, much is being said about it being able to tow 10,000 lbs. Chevy and Ford (2500/250) tow 12,500; the 1500 tows 10,000 with a 6.0L. Don't know about Dodge. So what's the big deal? The new "big" engine takes it into the low range of the others, and their 4.7L is on the small side already, so it will be interesting to see what the actual payload/trailer torque/hp specs are. And that's my point. Look at the specs instead of the hype and there's not as much there.

Some of the Toyota advantages are leaving. It has been the only truck with a Navigation system, for example, but that changes for 07 with Chevy offering one in their re-design. Both Chevy and Ford are hyping their FFV vehicles (and it IS hype, I think, considering the scarcity of E85), yet Toyota doesn't offer the option. I think their interiors are really great. Hopefully that will not change.

Today's Tundra (06) tows 6900 with a payload in the 1500lb range with a 4.7L engine. That's very respectable and as long as you're not going for a giant 5th wheel, it does the job fine. I wonder if Toyota may be giving up this particular niche where it competes fine with 150/1500. But if they're pretending to compete with the 250/2500 they are not quite there, despite their extra ten inches and the steroid look. All that means is that it may be too big to fit in my garage.

What would REALLY be breathtaking is if Toyota took their hybrid technology and made it work with a truck. Think of it: a full-sized truck that got more than 18 mpg! I'm not sure it would work, but I know that would turn some heads.

(BTW, I'm not anti-Toyota at all. I had an old chevy that fell apart, and a Ranger that bounces me around the road. My last five cars have all been Acuras.)
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    New Tundra is still a 1/2-ton, so no it won't compare with the domestic 3/4-ton models. They've got a 3/4-ton on the drawing board though.

Bo
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone explain in short paragraph to me why payload ratings are so low in the US -3/4 ton in massive truck? In south africa a compact 1.3litre fwd recreational type pickup is rated to 3/4ton, with a 1 ton pickups being such vehicles as the Isuzu, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Frontier, Ford Ranger (the only full size available is a recently reintroduced F250 in bare bones spec). SA pickups are considered 'compact' in the USA, while in SA a 4 cylinder petrol and diesel engines are the norm, biggest on offer in these trucks being a V6. Additionally we used to tow a 1.7ton horsebox with my 5cylinder 2.6litre VW Van, and I though it went quite well!!
  • mschuylermschuyler Member Posts: 2
    One reason may be that the so-called "rating" is very misleading in the US, anyway. Example is a Chevy 1500 Silverado rated as a 1/2 ton. But it's payload is 1575, over 3/4 of a ton. The 2500HD, rated a 3/4 ton pickup, has a payload of 3802, which is just shy of 2 tons. The 350, rated as a one-ton, rates between 5600-5800, just shy of three tons. I just pulled these numbers right from the brochures. They're different for a 4x4 or this box or that box, but it's basically the same issue. Ford does the same thing. The 06 Tundra ranges from 1265 (Limited Access Stepside) to 2025 (Regular Cab V8), but nowhere in this brochure is the Tundra ever called a "1/2 ton" or "3/4 ton" Also, just to mix it up, are we talking the same ton here? These are 2,000 pound tons. I know this can get confusing fast, such as when Britain asked for a few ship loads of "corn" during WWII, which we sent. Unfortunately, they meant "wheat corn" as in wheat and we sent them "corn" as in maize.

My need for explanation is: In three weeks driving in England last year I saw sum total of two pickups! Why no pickups in England?
  • velheruvelheru Member Posts: 1
    Actually I have been in the "c" cab that is shown and I have seen the "d" cab and it is definately bigger than the Mega Cab Dodge. And with 410hp and 11,000lb towing its going to be good competition for the domestics.
    Whoa! Could you elaborate a bit more on what you know, and have seen?

410 hp? Is that correct, or a typo?

Bob
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It was posted yesterday in the Straightline blog as a 'rumor' but it is in line with the scuttlebutt that's been going around since the intro last Jan. Everyone at Toyota has said that this will be the biggest and most powerful pickup on the market. Bigger than the Mega Cab and more powerful than anything in its class.

Toyota intentionally did not publish any specs when it was intro'd - waiting for the new GM's to be announced last week. Why give the competition a heads up.

Rumors, but they make sense and the timing is right in line as well.

The next 'rumors' IMO will deal with diesel and 'hybrid' versions.
    It was posted yesterday in the Straightline blog as a 'rumor' but it is in line with the scuttlebutt that's been going around since the intro last Jan.

Yeah I know, as I'm the "Bob" who posted it there. :) And it was a response to the above post in which it was mentioned.

Bob
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I have it on good authority the 5.7 will be 350HP, with a 6 Speed Auto.

DrFill
  • pacer164pacer164 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum, and I thought I would share a few new photos of the 2007 Tundra that was on display at the 2006 Toyota Tundra 200 race in Nashville, TN on August 12th. The photos are in my gallery.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Great photos!!! http://www.carspace.com/pacer164/Albums/pacer164sAlbum/ They had a nice display.
    Great photos indeed. :)

Bob
  • marksharkmarkshark Member Posts: 3
    Could you compare the interior space of the avalanche with the four door Tundra?

Thanks

Mark
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Just a little more info. The crew cab will be called CrewMax. Regular and Double Cabs will offer short and long beds.
  • luvmy4runnerluvmy4runner Member Posts: 59
    what's the towing capacity with the 5.7L V8?
    It's supposed to be in excess of 10,000#... specs any day/week now. They are being kept a secret until the last minute it seems.

Diesel Tundra some time 12-18 months later.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Has Toyota announced the horsepower and torque numbers yet? I am anxious to find out what they are. I estimate 345 horsepower 385 ft lb torque w/ a 6 speed auto.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    If I were TMS, I will annouce them the day before the Texas State fair. Or maybe the day before the GM superbowl commercial: A letter sent by the lawyer and say sorry guys, but you can't air that commercial because you are not the best in class in towing, not the best in class for capacity and not the best in class in HP.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    So, does this mean that the "Access Cab" nomenclature has been replaced by "Double Cab" on the Tundra?
    Toyota Unveils Long Bed Versions Of All-New 2007 Tundra

Looks rather ungainly to me, but maybe it's just the color or that it's a 2WD model. We'll see.
  • marksharkmarkshark Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know how the interior space, both front and back,on the tundra will compare with the current avalanche
    I believe that Access Cab nomenclature is being retained but the new monster is going to be called 'Crew Max' or something to that effect.
    ..as more and more workers, dealers, sales managers visit the factories.

Head-to-head competitions are leaving GM/F/D gasping trying to get to 2nd place.
  • alpinexalpinex Member Posts: 2
    Access Cab will no longer be in Toyota's lingo. According to information received directly from Toyota there will only be Regular Cab, Double Cab, and CrewMax. All will be offered in either 4x4 or 4x2 (according to their model codes) depending on where you are located.
    Thanks both kdhspyder and alpinex for the clarification.

I guess "Access Cab" is only on Tacos now (for how long, who knows?).

I like the name "CrewMax," it just sounds cool for some reason.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    This delay is killing me. I have never waited so long for a vehicle in my life. I hear the delay between introduction and production of the 2007 Tundra is size related. The service bays at Toyota dealerships cannot handle the new monsters. Bays are too small and too close together. Lifts can't raise the truck high enough to work on and the alignment racks are too short. Make sure your local dealer is retrofitting to accomodate the new Tundra.
    This could be a large part of the reason. Our store has to move and rebuild the entire complex - with HUGE bays - and we are the No 1 truck distributor in our region.

In addition I just heard that the new '08 Sequoia, based on the '07 Tundra, will be Suburban sized. There's another HUGE adjustment.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    Make sure your local dealer is retrofitting to accomodate the new Tundra.

Good advice as Im sure new owners will be spending lots of time there :sick:
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Interesting statement, maple2.

According to the NHTSA recall database, I find the following info regarding the Tundra, the Ford F150, and the Chevy Silverado:

'06 Recalls: Tundra - 1, F150 - 4, Silverado - 7
    '05 Recalls: Tundra - 4, F150 - 4, Silverado - 11
    '04 Recalls: Tundra - 6, F150 - 2, Silverado - 11

It certainly appears from the recall tally that the Tundra has been AT LEAST (if not more so) as reliable as the other big players in the segment.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Don't think there is a delay, I have beed told for a year now the 2007 would not come out till jan-feb, that is when it was always planned for.
    The CrewMax however is slated for an Apr/May launch. This is the one no one has seen nor has the specs on yet.
  • toyotafan818toyotafan818 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2006 toyota tundra it has about 14,000 miles so far i still love it but yes of course i want to get a 2007.CrewMax,it sounds interesting i know it is big also it has good ring to it.i just saw the access cab,longbed while i was searching in google images it is awesome and i wonder what kind of configurations it might have maybe an 8'1" bed(longbed)a regular size bed or maybe even a pre-runner it just for us to wait and see,huh.
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    The delay being related to dealer service bay size is Horse pucky- Toyota does not spec out dealership bays. Neither does Honda, GM, DCX or Ford. All dealerships are made to be turned around into a different shop easily. Slight exception are dealerships that specialize in class4-6 trucks. If there is to be a seperation in model introduction, it will simply be from the various build lines coming on-line. They're started up one after the other(like pant legs). It's just how things are done. there will be no 8ft box with the MaxCab, much like on the Dodge MegaCab. Another first will be the Single Cab short box. As for power ratings for the 5.7V8, most likely more than the 6lin the GM half tons.
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    Hi-

I've been reading this forum and have been following along with it. I'd like to clarify that Toyota DOES indeed state that dealerships need to have 12,000 lb. lifts and 9'x 20' service bays. I am the "Truck Champion" for my dealership. I just returned from 3 days of intense training in Princeton, Indiana. (home of the Tundra, Sequoia and Sienna) The release date really isn't a "delay" the new for '07 Tundra was always slated to be released in January of 2007. We (seminar attendies) were not given any real specifications on the new Tundra. I can tell you that I have driven the new Tundra and it is AWESOME! Let the questions begin...
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I'll ask some questions:

1. Does the interior look as stupid in person as it does in pictures? How many colors is the dash again?

2. Is the Ext Cab as big as the Quad Cab Dodge Ram inside?

3. What makes it so "AWESOME"?

DrFill
    Hi,

Okay, the Crew Max is as big if not bigger than the Mega Cab by Dodge. The new "Double Cab" is about the same size if not a tad larger than the Dodge Quad Cab. The truck looks way better in the flesh. I can't go into details as to why the new for '07 Tundra was awesome. And here's why DR. Fill...I had to sign 6 different forms to attend this national "Truck Champion" meeting. One of which was a non-disclosure form. Toyota is holding their cards close to their chest. Currently, there is a "specification embargo". I'm not sure what info. I can tell you and what I can't. I was allowed to drive the new Tundra on both street and off road courses set up around the Indiana plant. We were able to take the new 2wd Tundra in places I would not take my current/personal '06 4WD Tundra through.
    Think of this new Tundra as not only the most capable 1/2 ton pick up on the road but also the Lexus of full sized pick ups. It is so quiet and smooth and has Lexus/Toyota quality, fit and finish. The interior will come with 4 color choices. Again, I wish I could go into more detail but I am not allowed.

Thanks.
  • billyiibillyii Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on purchasing a new 5th wheel travel trailer and a new CrewMax and sell my Tundra extended cab and bumper pull trailer. However I was told by a Toyota employee at the Dallas Fair last week that the CrewMax will have only the 5.5' bed. If this is true it will not be possible to pull a 5th wheel(due to front of trailer hitting cab on turns), plus a big sales mistake by Toyota.
    . .Has anyone heard if the 6.5' bed will be available on the CrewMax?? If you have heard or know anyone with Toyota to ask, I would certainly appreciate it if you could post the answer. I do not look forward to begin driving a 3/4 ton Crew Cab Chevy or Ford etc. again but I may have to. "TRUE TRUCKERS" HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST A 6.5' BED WITH A CREW CAB!!!!! .Many Thanks, appreciate any help you can give me!!!!
    I am curious to find out how the Crew Max looks. Does it offer a 6.5 ft bed or a 6 ft bed? what are those horsepower and torque numbers? Any idea when they will be released to the public? Thanks!
    Hi,

Toyota is scheduled to release all spec.s on the new Tundra come mid-December. Toyota would not share any hp/torque ratings with us at the Indiana seminar. They don't "want to let the cat out of the bag". My seat of the pants dyno tells me that the hp is around the 385 to 390 mark and the torque I would have to guess is around 425 to 430-ish. (5.7 liter V8) this new truck just pulls like a mule from down low. I'd say that 1st gear is a rather low gear. And without knowing what axle ratio the truck I was driving in had, it's tough to accurately tell good horsepower and torque #'s. Again my butt and racing experience tells me the aforementioned #'s.
    I could barely tell when the truck shifted. My understanding was that Toyota is only going to offer the Crew Max in five n' 1/2 ft. boxes for the intially run. I'd figure a 6 and 1/4-1/2' box for either late '07 or perhaps '08. If you're going to pull a 5th wheel an 8' box is really the way to go due to the swing of the front of the trailer. And aligning the hitch 2" in front of the rear axle in the truck's bed. The new "D-Cab" comes with an 8' box. So you'll get plenty of interior space and yet still have the ability to make 90 degree "jack knife" turns with your 5th wheel. :D
    Thanks for the info. I've got another question, earlier today I called my local Toyota Dealership they told me they'll have the new Tundra's by next week. Are they joking or something because all the websites I've seen on the Tundra slate a January 2007 release. What are they trying to pull?
  • mtdogmtdog Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody have an idea how the back seat folds up in the new 07 double cab? Does the seat back fold down or does the seat bottom cushion fold up?
    Hi iqbaldhillon2,

If your local dealer told you that they were getting new 2007 Tundras next week then A.) they're lying or B.) they thought you were talking about new '06 models. Or perhaps you spoke with a new sales person who doesn't know the difference. When I was in Princeton, IN last week Toyota was still building 2006 Tundras. They were only getting ready to build the '07 model trucks. The employees at the plant were in training on how to build the components of the new '07 Tundra.
    The 2007 D-Cab seats fold up by the bottom seat cushion only. Like the current generation Tundra, Access Cab, Tundra does now. The Crew Max rears fold up like the current D-Cab model does.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Are you sure about that? The crewmax seats in the the back are built on rails so they slide forward to get access to to the back. I don't see them flipping forward like they do now
    Hi,

Yup, you're right. I have no idea what I was thinking when I typed that. :blush: The new '07 Crew Max's rear seats slide fore and aft. They do not fold up like the current D-Cab from what I could see. Sorry about that. I wasn't afforded enough time to "play" with the rear seats that much. We were short on time when I was driving/checking out the Crew Max. Toyota only supplied one Crew Max (in camoflauge) and everyone in my group was crawling all over it. I did however get a chance to drive it and sit in the rear seats. There's alot of room back there.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    ....WHY was this thread moved from the "Future Vehicles" Board?

As far as I know, release won't be until Jan '07 at the earliest (with the Crew Max release for later on in the Spring of '07). Given that information, doesn't the '07 still qualify as a "FUTURE" vehicle?
    Your Sotp dyno seems to have been pretty accurate if msnbc's report is correct. 381 hp.

This makes great sense for a lot of reasons:
    it probably incorporates the new SAE testing requirements;
    it leaves room for mid-model 'tweaks'. Why shoot all your ammo at first volley;
    it still is best-in-class;

My feeling is that the engine really is a 400+ hp beast under a tight rein.