Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
Are there any articles or reports floating around with information on the rumored 5+liter engine and whether Toyota will offer it in an acess cab model along with the double cab model? I was planning on buying an 02' or 03' Tundra with a TRD supercharger, but may wait to see what's in store for 2005!

Comments

• rosey4rosey4 Member Posts: 42
    I to am looking to purchase a Toyota Tundra Double Cab. I put down a deposit on one, but I to am wondering if and when Toyota plans to build a much larger engine, one that will compete with the Ford or Dodge larger engines. If Toyota plans to unveil in in the spring or summer of 2004, then I will purchase it then. I have heard rumors that Toyota plans to build a 5+liter engine, but I hope Toyota does not wait until 2006, the year that the San Antonio plant opens up, I can't wait that long.

A Toyota salesperson says that Toyota did build a Tundra with a supercharged engine, with much more horsepower than the 240 horsepower in the current model, because she has seen it. However, she does not know when Toyota plan to unveil it. I wonder, could one be in production now, and could come out in 6 months? Nobody from Toyota knows anything. I hope that one will be available within the next 6-8 months.

I was told that this car discusssion board is helpful with informtion, and I hope someone with post some helpful information.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    There will be a full-size truck concept from Toyota at the Detroit Auto Show. It's a hint of the upcoming Tundra.
    According to Toyota representative that I spoke with, the full-size truck concept with be a heavy duty pick-up, a dualy. One to compete with with the Ford 250/350. Thats what I was told.

I still have to believe Toyota will put a larger engine in the current Tundra, sooner rather than later.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Sources say that Toyota is currenty increasing displacement in all their cars. The first was the 3.0L V6 which was bumped to 3.3L. The next GS and LS are rumored to have a 4.5L V8, but not totally new. We are yet to see.
  • kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
    Detroit Auto show, it's a glimpse of the next generation Tundra! It will probably be the 2006 model year when these new trucks start rolling off the new assembly plant in San Antonio, Tx.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    This is the one vehicle that anti-Detroit people seem to "forget" about. Do they think that these get 40 MPG and emit pure air?
  • kurt123kurt123 Member Posts: 13
    pickup? Are they going to put a larger in the existing Tundra or bring out something totally new for 2005/2006?
  • kywildcat1kywildcat1 Member Posts: 5
    I would really to see the Tundra with a manual transmission. Is there talk of that possibility?
  • tiggerpoztiggerpoz Member Posts: 2
    I agree that a 3/4 ton Toyota pickup would be a fine thing! I'd like to see a Toyota made to compete with the F250 / F350 Ford SDs & their ilk. And most especially diesel engine & 6spd manual tranny options!
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    There's talk that there's a very good chance of a Lexus-based 5.5L coming out in the near future and I also thought I read somewhere that a 3/4 ton Tundra is a definite thing in a couple years. Either one or both would make Toyota much more competitive in the full-sized truck market.
  • supratunersupratuner Member Posts: 9
    I am so freakin tired or everyone talking about trucks vans and all these big "things" How bout sports cars. How about the Supra. It's these big haulers that killed off the Camaro and the Firebird and are killing off more. Oh the humanity!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I like sport cars too. I own a sports coupe; a Celica. However, I have never seen a sports car able to pull a camping trailer.
  • toyotasiennabtoyotasiennab Member Posts: 5
    I have read for sure that the 05 Tundra will have the following

05 Regular cab v8 with 5 spd Auto
    05 Acc Cab with 5 spd AUTO AND 6SPD MANUAL

The whole model line gets 6 spd manuals and 5spd autos. no more 4 spd autos!!!

Things are a changing.....
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I just saw the pics on another site but cannot post link due to Edmunds policy. I can say the when I viewed the PICK UP TRUCK images it looked to be much larger than the current design.

Good luck!
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    That's a wild interior on that concept...

I'd like to see some F-250 and F-350 competitors too. A lot of people in the construction company I worked for drive and prefer Toyotas as private vehicles, but the fleet needs everything from sedans to F-550s to bigger trucks (e.g. the Ford L8000) from one manufacturer.
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Ispoke with a sales a manager here in Phoenix yesterday. He told me Toyota will be offering a larger engine this fall that will out tow anything on the market. It will be interesting to see!
    I'm wondering where I can talk to a dealer that knows anything about the '05. My local dealer said he won't know anything about it until about Aug.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I've updated the title since the real redesign of this vehicle is not until the 2006 MY - the 05 is just an update.

kywildcat1, if you can tell us what info you're looking for, perhaps one of us can point you in the right direction to get what you want. BTW, the real name listed in your profile is that of a rather well-known Scottish soccer player. Huh.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Its really sad, I went to a dealer and specifically asked for someone who was knowledgable about Tacoma's and 4 Runners. The New Tacoma comes out this fall and should be equipped with the 4.0L in the 4 Runner. The "expert" new nothing about the new Tacoma, come on, its only 6 months away... Atleast Nissan has pictures of their new vehicle and you can price it out. Anyway, it wasn't until the salesman asked the Director of sales if he knew anything. He was the one who mentioned the new engine for this fall. I'm not sure if he received info from Toyota or learned his information on the web. So its really hit or miss. The best thing would be to go to a dealership and ask around.

Has anyone heard how big the new engine might be and how much horsepower it will have? I hope it comes in the standard configuration w/o dulies. It will be a hard choice between the Tundra and new Tacoma
    I'm wondering if the '05 will be available with a larger engine, and the 6 spd manual I've read the rumor of.
    I've been wondering that same question myself. I've been told that Toyota does plan to increase the motor in the currently Tundra, but the biggest question is when. With the newly re-designed Tacama set for release later this summer, with a bigger engine, one would have to assume that the Tundra will have a bigger engine in its 2005 model. I had planned to purchase a Tundra Double Cab this year, but I may wait until if the Tundra will have the bigger engine in 2005. I do know that Tundra will be re-designed, but I believe Toyota will be building it at its new San Antonio plant, once it opens. I believe that will be in 2006. I can't imagine Toyota waiting until 2006 to build the Tundra with more horsepower and torque.
    Any news of the 2005 Tundra? I have been wondering if the Tundra will be built with a larger engine, perhaps a 5.5 or 5.6 engine, with over 300 horsepower. Then I hear the current 4.7 engine will be added with a variable valve timing for next year.
  • mickybajwamickybajwa Member Posts: 8
    I have been searching forums and newsgroups about the Tundra with the big engine and the common theme so far is of the new Tundra to be built at the new San Antonio plant. With the new plant not operational till 2006, I think we will see the new Tundra as a 2007 model.

I for one am eagerly waiting for the 5+L engine.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    going out later this week from Edmunds.com. News about the 2006 Toyota Tundra.
    It's almost June. When are we going to hear anything about the '05 DC. I would really like to know when it's going to hit the streets and if there are going to be any changes from the '04.
  • tedshinnerstedshinners Member Posts: 2
    The 05 DC will keep the 4.7l but get vvt for a horsepower boost into the 280's. Also will get a five speed transmission and dash changes. No side airbags. Go to tundrasolutions.com for more info. Likely will be available in September.
  • uwahuskyuwahusky Member Posts: 17
    If they are getting an additional 40 hp out of the same engine, doesn't that essentially mean they're just testing the HP at a different RPM? It's hard to believe they are getting that much more hp out of the exact same engine.
  • avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    Toyota should have no trouble getting 40 more hp from the 4.7L. My Avalon gets 210 hp out of a 3.0L V6. That works out to 70 hp per liter. The 4.7L engine could get 329 hp at 70 hp per liter. Never have understood why truck engines are always way down on the hp curve versus cars. I know that truck engines are designed to produce more torque at low rpms, still, I would think they could do better. It probably helps that Ford, GM and Dodge are having a bit of a hp war with their trucks.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    The production version of the FTX concept truck will be out in August of 2006 as a 2007 model.
  • manukumarmanukumar Member Posts: 9
    2005 Tundra has been announced at Toyota.com ! The highlight is the new engine giving 282 HP and 325 lbft and booting mpg to 22 highway !
  • prd2729prd2729 Member Posts: 4
    I find the comments on this site very interesting. How can anyone drive a toyota truck and then drive a Chevy or Ford and chose the Toyota?? It blows my mind! Toyota needs to stick to building their little cheap cars...
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "How can anyone drive a toyota truck and then drive a Chevy or Ford and chose the Toyota??"

Easy. They drove the Chevy or Ford and then drove a Toyota. Have you driven a Tundra?

"It blows my mind!"

Perhaps you should give your mind a bit more of a workout. You know, open it up a bit. Think new thoughts.

"Toyota needs to stick to building their little cheap cars..."

I'm sure the management of Ford and Chevy feel the same way. Too bad for the better part of two decades they've essentially handed the small car market over to the likes of Toyota and Honda. Guess what happened? First time car buyers in the MILLIONS bought Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans/Mazdas because they knew how to build good, reliable, small cars that didn't make you feel like you were in a penalty box. Then, as their purchasing power went up and up and up, they tended to STAY with their foreign brands. All of this because Ford/GM DIDN'T stick to building good 'little cheap cars'.....
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    WELL SAID, rorr!
  • emtemt Member Posts: 39
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy the way, my dad did drive a ford and chevy, then bought the Tundra!!!
    Oh yeah, toyota builds cheap little cars? That must mean you never looked at what your beloved chevy or ford offer in the sub-compact and compact car category. If Toyota built cheap cars, I wouldn't imagine how CHEAPER and LOUSIER american cars would be. (because they already are cheap and lousy)
    Folks, this isn't the place to debate domestic vs import quality or preference. Let's stick to what little is known about the upcoming Tundra.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Don't worry. I think Elvis has left the building. His last login was 9/3.
    Sorry if I shouted...
    Well I think the next Tundra will be a 2007 because Toyota is making major engine changes to the 2005 and they wouldn't do that if the Tundra was at its last year of production. 2006 will be the Tundra's last year.
    Well, Toyota thinks it will be a 2006 based on the information we have from them!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Ah, surprising.
  • orangeman64orangeman64 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new DC Tundra Friday. Heres the specs, fog lights, bed liner, towing package, lighted running boards, upgraded JBL sound system, tinted windows, chrome bed bars, 18" BBS wheels. Unless you plan on towing a bulldozer this 4.7 engine has all the power you will ever need. This was an upgrade from a 2002 Access cab tundra. I checked all the major manufacturers trucks prior to trading for this truck, you can't find the comfort of the Tundra in any of them. I can't wait for the 2007 with the bigger engine option but this truck rocks.(My opinion). Anyone looking to buy one fell free to email me for any more info or specs.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    I think maybe there is some confusion because of model year vs. calendar year. I have specific info from Toyota that says August of 2006 for the introduction of the new truck. Perhaps some people at Toyota are saying 2006 meaning calendar year, not model year. As others have said, it would be extremely unusual for Toyota to upgrade an engine and install a new transmission for one model year, and then produce a totally new truck the year after.
    That's what I think.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    So when will the bigger engine make its debut in the Tundra. Looks like for 2005 all they did was add variable valve timing to increase 40 more hp but that doesn't help with low end torque. The bigger more powerful V6 is a welcome addition though. Is it a safe bet that the bigger V8 is at least another two to three years away.
  • mickybajwamickybajwa Member Posts: 8
    I think the new V8 will be available in Aug-Sept 2006 as a 2007 model. This gives Toyota 2 years with the new 282hp V8.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I test drove a new Tundra with the VVTI and 5spd auto and man what a difference!...the thing hauls [non-permissible content removed] now compared to the prior 245 horse version.The new style wheels are also a nice update also along with the dash.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Are you thinking about buying it or are you going to compare it with the competition ? How much quicker do you think the Vvti engine is compare to the non Vvti engine?
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Is that it comes in a 3/4 ton 4x4 Double Cab diesel. I'd buy it! (that would make 2 Tundras in my family)
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I'm actually waiting for the 05 Tacoma to show up.I'm interested in the V6 (245 horse)with the 6 spd manual!...
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    So last year Toyota launches a 4l V6- its a 90 degree motor, which means it was developed for V8 derivation. That makes for a 5.3 liter with 300 hp and 375lbft of twist. Should do niceley, at least against the present market. but this is also relatively square bore motor, so a stroker could be derived w/o too much hooplah- that should let you shoot hoops with the big dawgs. The interesting question to me is what we'll get for a diesel. The European spec 4.2l would work awesome in the current tundra, but when you set out to (how did that go....) "mercilessly crush them [competition] with a vastly superior truck that embarrasses....." they may opt for something bigger. But then, the Tundra HD might not show up till the second year.