Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• usedtobeloyalusedtobeloyal Member Posts: 31
    BTW,

Thanks for the reply, appreciate hearing other experiences about the Tundra.

There have been other Tundra owners that have joined in the discussion - good to hear all points of view.

It should help Forum readers make decisions concerning the new 2007 Tundra. My concern was regarding the reliability of new 2007 drivetrain.

What can you tell us about the Tundra you owned?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Just out of curiousity -

Have you checked the Problems and Solutions boards of some of the Tundras competition?

Are you aware that I could probably find situations EXACTLY like yours for EVERY truck sold on the market?

Since, you've written off Toyota for the future, and wished you had done more research before buying a Tundra, what has your research told you about other trucks on the market?
    I know the competition is "thin." It's why I owned two Toyota trucks in the first place.

What was most disappointing was the company's response. :lemon:

I agree you will find my exact circumstances for other vehicles - does that make it right? Do you think it's acceptable?

We are talking about TRUCKS, built for abuse. None of us should accept drivetrain component failure below 100,000 miles in any vehicle, especially not a truck - warranty or not.

As customers we are going to be given the warranty that we "accept."

It's the 2007 model year and other manufactures are offering 100,000 mile drivetrain warranties.

I am currently searching.

Having had a very long experience with Honda cars, who from my experience bend over backwards to stand behind their vehicles, I have started a look at the Ridgeline - but wrong forum.

What have you experienced with your Tundra? That's why I am over on this Forum.
    "What have you experienced with your Tundra? That's why I am over on this Forum."

Really? You have experience with an '07 Tundra? That's odd, I didn't think they were on sale yet.....amazing that you've already burned through the warranty period.

I have no experience with a Tundra. My experience (or lack thereof) is not relevant to the point I was making. To insinuate that one must own a Tundra to have a valid opinion regarding your issue is (IMO) childish. I own a vehicle. My wife owns a vehicle. Each of these vehicles are represented by a "Problems and Solutions" board on Edmunds. I can assure you that looking at THOSE "Problems and Solutions" boards will reveal anecdotal stories of transmission failures (beyond warranty) and a reluctance by the manufacturer to replace them for free (beyond warranty).

The issue before us is whether cases of transmission failure in the current edition Tundra are rare (# of failures vs. # of Tundras sold) and whether or not Toyota is obligated to fix said issues for free though they are beyond warranty. The issue is NOT (though you seem to wish it were) whether or not responders to you have their own Tundra or not.

"It's the 2007 model year and other manufactures are offering 100,000 mile drivetrain warranties."

Yes. So if 100k drivetrain warranties are important, buy a truck with one. The Tundra doesn't have one; ergo Toyota owes you nothing for a tranny failure beyond the original warranty.

I've also noted that many manufacturer's have begun offering CD changers as standard equipment. But I don't think I'm going to get far taking my 6 year-old car in demanding a CD changer....
    Really? You have experience with an '07 Tundra?

Take some deep breaths and read my post. Who said I was the owner of a new 07 Tundra?

And don't worry about me dealing with the obligation of Toyota - I can tell you I am not going to just "smile" like you did. I told you before, we bought the Tundra because they are reliable.

The issue before us is whether cases of transmission failure in the current edition Tundra are rare....

My original thread discussion was a question about the reliability of the new transmission vs the old. It is an Owner site and past reliability is a topic that is germane to decisions of future owners.

But I don't think I'm going to get far taking my 6 year-old car in demanding a CD changer....

Comparison of a CD Charger to drivetrain components????? I got to agree with you here: I'd probably just "smile" and tell them they don't have to add the CD changer.

You responded to me, Bud.

Beyond "smile" can you add anything that will help future owners?
  • tacomadavetacomadave Member Posts: 24
    Sweet Fancy Moses, this is the dumbest discussion to ever take place in the wrong forum. Let me get this straight, you purchased a truck known for its reliability, that after it's factory warranty, had a component fail. Thats called bad luck, the dealership has a special potion that wards off this bad luck, they call it a extended warranty, but guess what, not even it lasts forever.

NO, truck is perfect, my fathers 2005 F150's rear end failed and had to be completely replaced at 500 miles.

Sour grapes never plays out well on web forums.
    "Who said I was the owner of a new 07 Tundra? "

Well, you DO have a habit of asking EVERYONE who responds to you whether or not they have a Tundra (insinuating that those without should keep their peace). You DID state that the reason you were HERE (the '07 Tundra forum) was due to your experience. Following your 'logic' would indicate that, since this IS the '07 Tundra forum, that only owners of '07 Tundras should contribute.

Yes, I know you don't have an '07 Tundra. What you read earlier was called 'sarcasm'. As for your stated 'reason' for being in this forum, I call BS. Your 'reason' for being in here is to pollute Tundra forums with your woes that you had a component failure (beyond warranty) and the manufacturer won't fix it for free (beyond warranty).

"...I can tell you I am not going to just "smile" like you did."

No, obviously not. Instead of simply accepting the fact that SOMETIMES 'stuff' happens and components break (beyond warranty) and the manufacturer's are under no obligation to fix it for you for free (beyond warranty), you've instead decided to turn this into a crusade against Toyota because you want your transmission (failed beyond warranty) to be fixed for free (beyond warranty). Whether or not you 'smile' through this process isn't germane.

" ...we bought the Tundra because they are reliable."

Newsflash: Tundras ARE reliable. Statistical evidence shows this. If one Tundra in 10,000 suffers a premature tranny failure, then it sucks to have that one failure. But that doesn't mean Tundras aren't reliable. Do you have ANY stats indicating the # of tranny failures vs. # of Tundras sold? That would be useful information. Because ONE anecdotal story is pretty poor evidence of an endemic problem.

"Comparison of a CD Charger to drivetrain components?????"

Let me draw you a roadmap. Your vehicle had a standard 60k warranty (analogous to a standard radio). You noted some manufacturers are starting to offer a 100k warranty (analogous to a CD Changer). You want Toyota to NOW give you a 100k warranty (gee Toyota, can you give ME a CD Changer now?). No smiling involved.

Beyond 'sour grapes', what EXACTLY are you adding that will help future owners?
    Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town on business.

Fellas, calm down. Get a paper bag, deep breathes.

Your acting like a bunch of school kids who just found out there might not be an Easter Bunny.

I own a Tundra and I am not the only Toyota owner having transmission issues.

Read the discussion thread, check the Tundra Problems and Solutions forum, and search the internet. It's not "pollution" of the site.

I am trying to show the future owners that past reliability is a good indicator of future reliability.

Anyway, it's Thanksgiving. I'm going to enjoy sometime with my family.

If you decide to spend the holidays hovering and hyper-ventilating over the Forum, at least stay on topic and drop the sarcasm and name calling. Get some facts.

There is a recurring theme that I am only one owner, albeit the posts on both the internet and the problems and solutions forum.

Have you check these sources? What did you find?

On what are you basing the "1 in 10,0000" statement? You can't tell me you know 10,000 Tundra owners!!!

By the way, rethink your logic, using yours, NOBODY should be on the site. Don't think of it as sarcasm, just a "road map" to logical thinking.

I'll get back to you after the holidays-Deep breathes in and out.

Have a nice Thanksgiving
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    Hello Tundra Forum Readers!
    White River Toyota (WR Jct,VT) has arranged to have a 2007 Tundra at the annual New England Snowmobile Racing Association's, Lake Fairlee/Lake Morey Radar/Ice Drag Races the weekend of January 27th and 28th. If you're going to be New England this January and want to check out the Tundra for yourself prior to dealers getting them. Then this is the event for you. Toyota Motor Sales USA will be on hand with give aways. There will also being drawings for other prizes.
    Just thought some of you would want to know. :)
  • 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    If you go to toyotanation.com they have a full sized, side view photo of the Crew Max. Just look up '07 Tundra Crew Max when you get to the site. It should pull up the photo for you. It's in black and white. (sorry) Atleat it's a photo of a "production ready" Crew Max. Buimmer we won't have 'em till around 6/07 though.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Usedto, you're right. It is Thanksgiving. I will drop the sarcasm and the outrage, and simply respond to your post.

You are wrong. It's that simple. There are some that have had problems, including yourself. Based on Consumer Reports data, the vehicle's transmission reliability is far above average despite your problems. This, to me, indicates that to purchase a Toyota Tundra is a better bet than buying something else. This also extends to other aspects of the vehicle. I am not required to "know 10,000 Tundra owners" to conclude this; I'm only required to purchase a subscription and read the magazine. Your anecdotal evidence that there is this huge body of failed transmissions is so far unsupported by any evidence other than your own experience, and contradicted by a real, statistically valid survey. The conclusions you draw based on your experience and that of some "others" is not a valid conclusion with regards to the great majority of Tundras.

Your logic that Toyota owes you something despite the warranty is also wrong. You base this assertion on the fact that that you purchased a Toyota based on its reputation for reliability. A reputation is not a warranty or a legally binding agreement. Just because you assert that it is does not make it so. There is no logic in that assertion whatsoever.

The outrage you have provoked here is created by your self-assured, albeit wrong, conclusions and your continual "tag lines" that insinuate that someone who responds to your absurd conclusions must be a Tundra owner. Again, your logic is incorrect. Your repeated smug comments, such as "deep breaths," while telling others to drop the sarcasm, are patronizing and hypocritical.

The bottom line is that we all heard your problems, but your demeanor and illogic have erased any amount of sympathy we may have had, and I think I am speaking for a bunch of folks right now. It is not at all surprising that Toyota has refused to assist you. If you have treated the customer service folks in the same manner that you have treated folks here, it would be entirely logical for them to show you the door. The headache is simply not worth your business. There are plenty of others who will buy.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
    Tom
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    The 2007 Toyota Camry is the 2007 Motor Trend car of the year. I would be blown away if the Tundra wins 2007 Motor Trend Truck of the year. Is it possible for the same automaker to get two awards for 2 different products??? We'll see in December who wins motor trends truck of the year award.
    2007 Truck of the year- ?????????????
    2006 Truck of the year- Honda Ridgeline
    2005 Truck of the year- Toyota Tacoma
    2004 Truck of the year- Ford F-150
    2003 Truck of the year- Dodge Ram (heavy duty)
    2002 Truck of the year- Chevy Avalanche
    2001 Truck of the year- Chevy Silverado (heavy duty)
    2000 Truck of the year- Toyota Tundra
    1999 Truck of the year- Chevy Silverado
    This what I think about the first generation of the Tundra.
    It was a great truck. I use to own a 2001 Toyota Tundra extended cab w/ the 4.7 L and the TRD off road package. It was one my best trucks I've ever owned. Even though it smaller than the domestics it was a great truck. I sold it in '05 for a Tacoma which I sold for a Ram 1500. Sold the Tundra for $15,000. It had aprox. 80,000 miles.

Hopefully the second generation will be better. I will probabally trade my Ram for the new Tundra's sometime next year, maybe a 2008 model. I want to test drive both the Double Cab and Crew Max.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    2006 COTY Honda Civic
    2006 TOTY Honda Ridgeline

I'd be surprised if the new Tundra is even qualified this year since the first one will only be delivered in Feb 2008. I'm not certain what MT's rules are on this matter.
    I think you mean Feb 2007. I'm gonna see it on the 9th of December at the L.A auto show.
    Yep, good catch..
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    Dear "Usedtobeloyal",

This is the first time I looked at this forum, as I am getting ready to replace a personal vehicle (Leased '05 F-150 with 30K miles) with a '07 Tundra. The only reason I got the F-150 was for the towing capacity. I'll be glad to replace it with another Tundra, as the F-150 has some issues. But I don't consider all Ford's products a lemon because of it. I am sorry to hear you are so sour on the Tundra. Your experience is very unusual, and unfortunate. To assume Tundra's are not dependable based on your experience is understandable....but wrong. Once a vehicle's warranty is up, you are on your own. Unfortunate, but a fact. These are great trucks and the '07 will be a great product as well.
    I have purchased 3 Tundra's, a 2000 4X4, 2001 2WD, and a 2002 4X4, and have many more miles on them than that which your tranny failed at. All without a single issue. Very dependable trucks. Also, I have purchased 7 Camrys, 2 Tacomas, a T100 and 2 Avalons and they have been the best vehicles we have ever purchased. We have Camrys in our fleet with well over 300K miles, and believe it or not...never a engine or tranny problem. Bullet proof.
    A failure can happen with any vehicle, so I wish you the best in future purchases.
    Now, my disclaimer: I own a company that is a major supplier to Toyota, so I am a little biased. But I am with engineers and personel at most of thier production facilities in the U.S. alot, and they are an amazing company with production abilities and quality second to none, and it shows in the products produced by Toyota.
  • foxrunfoxrun Member Posts: 16
    beg to differ read.
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/FREE/61127009/1024/c- ara_submit
    and
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/FREE/61127008/1024/c- ara_submit
    There is a lot there that Toyota doesn't want us to see and they are having a lot of problems leading to serious cost over runs. so much for the "toyota way".
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    What is the cab size pictured for the 2007 Tundra? Is it the biggest or the middle size?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Problems are building cars/trucks you can't sell, or cars/trucks that you can sell, but can't build well.

Toyota isn't having problems. Unlike the Big 3, they can spend whatever they want on the factory. It really doesn't matter.

Building the truck 3 months before selling it is smart, as now the truck market is under "The Cloud" of The Next Tundra, and awaits it's impending doom.

Don't playa-hate. :(

DrFill
    :confuse:

Let me get this straight: they are witholding sales of the new Tundra until the engine plant (the AMERICAN engine plant) building the new 5.7l V8 is online. Even though they do have new Tundras built (but not available for sale) with the V6 and the 4.7l V8, they are holding up selling the new truck until the 5.7l V8's are ready (the AMERICAN built V8's). Yes, they COULD build the new Tunda's with Japanese sourced 5.7l V8's (like in the preproduction models), but a decision was made that the production models would have engines from the AMERICAN plant instead.

Yep. Sounds like the Toyota way. I guess the GM/Ford/Dodge way would have been to sell WHATEVER you had coming off the line regardless of whether or not it met your standards. The "schedule" rules everything.

I think this is a good example of the 'Toyota way'. They won't sell the truck until THEY are ready, with the engine-mix that THEY desire. Some other manufacturer's would have intentionally held off on introducing the most powerful engine right away; banking on those folks who just HAD to have a new model regardless of what was under the hood.

Regarding the second article: obviously, you aren't in the construction industry. EVERYTHING has seen cost-overuns since the hurricanes last year. Why you seem to think that cost overruns for the construction of the new plant in San Antonio is some sort of 'news' that Toyota 'doesn't want us to see' is beyond me.....
    It is the biggest. They call it the "CREW MAX" (Mega Cab).
    It looks pretty good except the rims. It is avalible with a full size six foot bed, or optional 8.1' bed. Oh have you seen it on the link I've given you. It is a little blurry, it is a phantom gray color.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Sorry I mixed it up I got a picture of the Crew Max on Toyota Trucks Future Models board. It's probabally the last post there.
    You make this overbudget issue sound like it's a problem. Toyota has money to burn. This is good for the US economy!!! $480 Million just were added. Cha Ching!!! You're grasping at something that seems negative but in reality is a positive for us and maybe even for Toyota.. 'latest machinery..'

Did you read the other article on why the new V8's were being rushed? The Huntsville plant was scheduling them for an August installation, while TMS wanted them ready at the beginning in January... a 'left hand/right hand' situation.
    I think this is a good example of the 'Toyota way'. They won't sell the truck until THEY are ready, with the engine-mix that THEY desire. Some other manufacturer's would have intentionally held off on introducing the most powerful engine right away; banking on those folks who just HAD to have a new model regardless of what was under the hood.

Good point.

As good at the GMT900 twins are they should have the new 6 spd tranny iso the old 4 spd. Those buying the hot new GMT900's are getting 2nd level products. The later ones soon will be better.

Ford puts out the great new Fu-lan twins and omits the most important safety equipment, puts in an ancient basic power system and with only 3 channel ABS cannot offer ESC at any price.

Maybe taking the time ( and money ) to do it right has some benefit.
  • chevy598chevy598 Member Posts: 162
    2007 truck of the year will be the new Silverado. From the pictures I've seen Toyota has a long way to go in truck interiors. I thought a six speed was supposed to get better gas milage? The new Silverado gets better gas mileage with a 4 speed automatic thats rock solid.
    It's good - enough - but it's not the best GM has. The best is the 6 spd which is supposed to be out later in 2007.

If you were a 2007 buyer, at premium prices, but knew that the 6 spd would be out in 10 months lets say you'd feel that the next year's model kinda left you wanting. Since the 6 spd wasn't ready when the T900's were initially rolled out instead of dropping it in next year it might have been better just to keep the lid on the 6 spd and make it a mid-model improvement in 2010.

But that was the point of this whole exchange. Putting a vehicle on the road is a complex technical and logistical effort and every manufacturer has to delay, rush, leave out or make extra efforts to include. It's part of manufacturing.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Most people have only seen pictures of the Double cab, not the Crewmax. The Crewmax will only have the 6 foot bed the double cab can get a 6 foot or 8 foot bed.
    Did you read the articles? I don't see anything negative towards Toyota in either one.
    Just saw 5 Truck loads of 2007 Tundra's coming from the San Antonio plant . Probaly headed to the testing center to be put through the paces to see how they will stand up.
    I test drove a Silverado yesterday and have to say it out shines the F-150 by a mile. I still can't believe they got something that big to have such a tight turning radius. The Tundra looks like a real nice truck, but Toyota is going to have a tough time getting conquest buyers with the new Silverado on the road. Being foreign, Toyota has the same problem GM has being domestic in the passenger car segment. Even if the Tundra is almost as good, even, or better then the Silverado, you have to have an Ace if your foreign to beat a King that is domestic in the truck segment. The Silverado will have even better gas mileage with a 6 speed tranny next year. I also can't wait to see the new Heavy Duties when they hit the road this spring, right now GM is just building the babies.
    Agree the Silverado is great truck but it certainly does not outshine the F150. I used to own a 1998 F150 it was a great pickup. I sold it on 2001 with 125,000 miles. I had no problems what so ever. It always made big loads in the bed seem like small luggage. I also managed to test drive the F150 and Silverado (2007 models)both vehilcles impressed me. The new Tundra will have some good competition. In 2008 Ford will release thier all-new F150. By the way the man at my local Toyota dealership says the new Tundras with the 5.7 Liter will be able to give out 20+ MPG Highway. Plus the maximum towing is 10,800 lbs, I just found that out, the new Tundra is the segment leader in towing.
    It's a huge market and three of the five of the players have difficulties now.

Nissan is limited in the configurations it offers and while it tows well it can only carry what a Tacoma can!!!!!

Dodge has an aging design but even more importantly it has mass confusion at the top. After T'giving it had a bunch of plants on overtime...just today they announced that they are shutting down production during January since they still have some unshipped 2005 models and tons and tons of 2006's that the dealers wont take.

Ford while it is ( was ) the standard also has an aging design, the smallest big engine in the class, and it too is a mess at the top. 50% of the hourly workers just quit!!!

GM and Toyota, with the newest models, could come out smelling like roses just by collecting the defectors. Toyota has a harder job to do but it may also have the new standard.
    I think The Tundra is going to take more sales from Nissan then GM or Ford.
    I agree about GM but Ford is in such bad condition now with an older model it could lose a lot of ground. While the owners are loyal Ford did just cut their work force in half. Ford should deliver about 800,000+ FSeries this year. How are they going to do that again next year if half their workforce is gone?

I'll admit that most of the buyouts are probably in lines producing the Taurus/Sable/Town Car and minivans. But I work 10 min from the Norfolk F150 assembly plant and that's gone entirely - poof empty.

For the sake of discussion 800K or 900K buyers want to buy an F150 next year but Ford tells them 'Nope we're only making 750,000 - or 650,000 units.' Where do those buyers end up? Not Dodge, they're closing for the month of January and they still can't get rid of '06 models. And if marketing is to believed Dodge buyers are the least loyal of all. They may not be buying now because they want to see the new Tundra.
    Gm has more empty jobs right now then Ford does. Ford has got a lot of workers flowing back from visteon as we speak. GM was the company that had to many people take the buy out, and there going to end up hiring new people because of it.
    I work at GM Flint Truck & Bus, and right now we have 300 temps working in the plant, and there are hardly any Delphi flow backs left to take those jobs. When GM adds a third shift, in January, at the new crossover plant in Lansing their short 1,500 workers.
    I work at GM Flint Truck & Bus, and right now we have 300 temps working in the plant, and there are hardly any Delphi flow backs left to take those jobs. When GM adds a third shift, in January, at the new crossover plant in Lansing their short 1,500 workers.

That's good to hear. :)
    From the pictures I've seen of the new Tundra, I just don't care for the interior. I think those radio knobs look awful ugly on that truck, and for once I think GM is the more refined interior.
    My unofficial (biased) truck interior rankings:
    1. Silverado/Sierra
    2. F-150
    3. Tundra
    4. Titan
    5. Ram

I looked at the interior of a new Dodge Ram and was instantly transported back to 1991.
    2007 Full size truck specs
    Ford F150: 300 horsepower/10,500 lb towing capacity
    Dodge Ram: 345 horsepower/8600 lb towing capacity
    Nissan Titan: 317 horsepower/9400 lb towing capacity
    Chevey Silverado: 315 horsepower/ 10,300 lb towing capacity
    Toyota Tundra: ??? horsepower/10,800 lb towing capacity
    Gossip puts Horse power in the 380 range

There is a Toyota Video coming out where these 5 trucks drive 0-60-0 and some of them where still trying to get to 60 when the Tundra was at a complete stop. can't wait to see it.
    From reports..it was the Ford still struggling to get to 60 while the Tundra had stopped already.
    If the Tudras got 380 hp then there is no way it gets close to 20 mpg on the highway. I don't care if its got a 20 speed transmission. More likely 17/18 mpg on the highway.
    As a truck owner, there's way to much emphasis on towing capacity and horse power. You want the truck that feels the most like a car when you'll be driving it around everyday. In a earlier post I mentioned that I drove the new Silverado and it outshine the F-150 by a mile. I think for a full size truck, the Silverado feels and drives like a smaller vehicle. For some one who's going to be going back and forth to work everyday this is just as important as an extra 300 lbs towing capacity. Does the new Tundra feel like your driving a tank? That's the first thing I look at when test driving a truck, and all 1/2 tons are not created equal when it comes to driving dynamics.
    I drove past a Dodge Big Horn in my 1/2 ton Silverado today and felt like a midget. That truck would be absolutely miserable to drive everyday, and where the hell do you park it.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    381HP. Torque is also the highest.
    I think GM's 6.0 has more HP than 315.
    You are right. The ride and feel of the vehicle is probably the key feature for any final purchase unless the vehicle is specifically a work truck that's dedicated to either towing or carrying cargo. The new GMT900's seem to have top of the line interiors and driving/handling characteristics.
    That was my biggest complaint with the older gmt 800. It had such a big turning radius that it makes parking at the mall a serious task. Ever notice how almost all truck owners back in to a parking spot, thats because its so hard to get them back out in reverse.
    Toyota is in a little different situation then the domestic. If you need a Ford for serious hauling, you're better off to skip right over the babies and go with super duties. The domestics can put more emphasis on driving dynamics in their regular models, and leave the serious hauling to the heavy duties. Thats a luxury Toyota doesn't have.
    I'll give Toyota credit, for a first attempt at a real truck, Kudos. Wait until they freshen it up in two years and you'll see a lot more refinement on the inside. Toyota also needs a diesel to be considered a full time hauler, and IMO thats a big draw back to the Titan right now.
    With all the money Toyota is making, I'm surprised there willing to sacrifice brand quality to enter the large pickup market. Toyota brand is going to see their initial quality take a big hit adding a full size truck with different options. Nissan found out how much harder it is to build a full size truck, and their initial quality took a big hit.
    OTOH, while the current Tundra doesnt fill all the needs of the truck market the two area's it has always excelled in are driving dynamics and reliability. When it came out in 1999 it was the quietest most drivable truck in the market. IN the intervening 7 years it has always been given the top rank for quality and reliability.

Some say Toyota 'failed' in offering a full sized truck. However my view is that their style and philosphy is in erring toward caution and taking smaller steps before jumping full force into something. The 99-06 Tundra allowed them to make a big truck at their own speed. Learn the market, perfect the processes, then go full speed.
    Nissan just didn't take a hit form the Titan they also took a bigger hit fom the Quest that they had been building for years when they redisgned it and built it the same plant the Titan was built at.

Why everbody keeps saying that Toyota is "just now" entering the larger truck is beyend me unless you only count the F-350's as larger trucks? The Titan is no bigger the current Tundra
    Quality is a new ball game when your stepping up from a 7/8 truck. The more options you ad in frames, engines, suspensions, and cab configurations drop quality considerably. Not to mention bigger components equal bigger problems.