Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I have heard rumors that this new truck will get 380 horsepower and 420 pounds feet torque. With this much power the Tundra will sell much better than the previous generation. Hopefully a Diesel will be released in 2008 or 2009. Maybe 420 horsepower 700 pounds feet torque. Also I hope that the truck will get 20+ mpg, but chances for that are very slim. Anyway atleast it looks good. The interior is a little cheap looking. I would perfer a Tacomaish interior but I was wrong.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I read this as a 'hope' that something goes wrong with the new Tundra. With all the class-leading capabilities it will have something ( hopefully ) has to be bad about it ..right? ;)

What if.... nothing was bad about it and it simply was the best truck on the market? Period. With a diesel in 12-18 months and a HD package along with it the NGT could appeal to every open-minded truck user.

The proof will be 2-3 yrs out when these first ones have been working and doing all the dirty tough jobs and other truck drivers have seen more and more of them at work. Success is not just this year or next year. This is the first vehicle of what may be the best truck over the next 15 years ( see Camry, Corolla, Tacoma ). Nothing will be proven this year or next because the trucks will be too new. But if the plants fill up quickly and Toyota sees that it will be accepted then the TX plant goes from 200K units a year to 500K units. At sometime in the next 15-20 years this will happen.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I have to agree with the comment about horsepower and tow capacity. As for ride though, I would rather have my old 68 Ford back with solid front and rear axles that I know would hold up to about anything. Just add the engine reliasbility of today. Hate carbs. If I wanted a car ride, I would buy one. For newer trucks, I think it is hard to find a better truck than the 02 vintage Tundra access cabs. Was big enough for most day to day loads, up to 6 people comfortably, and a turning radius that makes most minis envious. I know I miss mine.
  • chevy598chevy598 Member Posts: 162
    The interior is lame compared to the more refined Silverado or the older F-150. People are dreaming if they think Toyota is going to get the same reliability out of a 380 hp engine as they do a smaller v8. Not only will their quality drop but man hours per vehicle is going to increase compared to the older model with less options.
    The Japanese are lost when it comes to pickups. They got just as much chance of dropping to a one shift operation that produces 120k trucks a year.
    In 9 months GM is going to have a 6 speed in every truck, and start producing dual mode hybrids within the next 18 months. Also Toyota is going to have to prove they can build a better diesel then the Duramax, which is consistently ranked as the best large diesel engine in the world.
    As they say in horseracing..'That's why they run the race.'

In 3-5 years we'll know.

The Japanese are lost when it comes to pickups. They got just as much chance of dropping to a one shift operation that produces 120k trucks a year.
    In 9 months GM is going to have a 6 speed in every truck, and start producing dual mode hybrids within the next 18 months. Also Toyota is going to have to prove they can build a better diesel then the Duramax, which is consistently ranked as the best large diesel engine in the world.

Now here's an ironic couple of statements. Who is it exactly that makes the Duramax for GM? As you say, it is for now the best on the market although Cummins would disagree.
    The duramax is originally an Isuzu. The best move GM has made in the last 10 years is buy Isuzu's diesel technology. It took them from worst to first overnight in the diesel wars, and it's been the best diesel out there for quite a few years now. Even Cummings would like to get hold of that Isuzu technology. My neighbor says his 2004 super duty Ford has the best diesel out their, but he doesn't have to hear it running three blocks away.
  • bcardbcard Member Posts: 1
    only the best if u are under 6 foot tall
    or like a shaloow bedded truck,thinner too.
    the company i work for bought some recently switced from a f-150 where i had more room for my 6-3 frame to sit and the bed is about 3 inches shallower and abbout an inch thinner. only plus is an inch longer
    I'm not trying to knock Toyota trucks. I think the old Tundra was a perfect truck for a niche market, and it did about everything that 90% of owners would ever use it for. I just question how successful their going to be taking on domestics head to head. I don't think people understand how biased the full size truck segment is. When ever you have a conversation with real truck people(average truck buyer), Its all about chevy, ford, dodge, but never a word about the Titan which is a worthy competitor. I would take a Titan over a Dodge any day but most loyal truck buyers wouldn't have the same opinion.
    Toyota's going to have a tough time getting "domestic truckers" to even cross shop the Tundra. For as good as everyone here says the old Tundra is not to many Domestic truck buyers even know it exists(figuratively). Getting consumers to change brands when there's nothing wrong with the one they have now is hard to do. It's pretty hard to get people out of Camrys even when you have a competitive car like the Saturn Aura.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,316
    there is a guy a work who owns a ford ranger that keeps begging a guy with a 5 year old 'taco to sell it to him.
    the 'taco owner keeps telling himn the talk to the tundra owners, but he won't beacause he says they have too many problems.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Its all about chevy, ford, dodge, but never a word about the Titan which is a worthy competitor. I would take a Titan over a Dodge any day but most loyal truck buyers wouldn't have the same opinion

Til now these have been the only choices C/F/D. The Titan while it has a big engine and big towing capacity it is only about as capable as a Tacoma or Frontier in carrying capacity. Infact with it's 1360 Max payload if it were to tow 9500 lbs then it could only carry a driver and maybe his lunch...no other passengers and nothing in the bed. This is the Titan's weak link.

Put 1100 lbs in the bed of the Titan and it cannot legally tow anything!!! This is where the NGT is going to shock the 'real truckers'. Then in the manner it does it.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO- based on pictures I have seen I would rate the interiors as following from best to worst:

1. Tundra
    2. F-150
    3. Silverado
    4. Titan
    5. Ram

Can't wait to see a Tundra in person. ;)
    If you asked the average truck buyer how much is his payload capacity, you would probably hear him say "a lot." Truck buyers aren't caught up in numbers like sports car guys are. You're never going to tell a Dodge Ram owner that his truck can be out hauled. Regardless what some spec sheet says.
    f250? i'll see the tundra. ;)
    until they get caught or have an accident. Then they lose their house and everything they own. Driving in excess of GVW Rating and losing control and smashing into something destroying, injuring or killing just isn't worth it.

For a business owner his liability may not cover him if he's significantly above the GVWR...there goes his business. This isn't backyard **** measuring at a barbeque. This is just keeping it legal and getting the most value for the buck.

If a business owner realizes that he has to send out two trucks to do the job that one can do that's literally burning up money and taking equipment from one job when it can be used on another.
    how much background checking is toyota going to do before they decide it is 'ok' for someone to drive their truck? :sick:
    Huh?

None I assume ( j/k right/ ). It's the sheriff's deputies and the insurance adjusters/underwriters that'll decide all that.

In addition I've heard but cannot confirm that some states now are requiring any truck with a trailer must stop and go over the scales. Over the GVWR? ... then dump something on the side..after the ticket.
    Huh?

f250?

I don't get it. :confuse:
    Wow that low. I think a Tacoma can haul more than that. I use to own an '05 Tacoma looked up online they rated it as a 1505 lb payload. If thats true man is the Titan pathetic.
    The new Tundra will get about 2100-2300 lbs of payload, almost as much as the Ram.
    If Toyota wants to sell 200k trucks a year most of them are going to be to red neck Bob, not business owners. The vast majority of pick ups sold are to individual consumers. The market would be a quarter the size it is now if it was just commercial sales.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    The rated towing capacity has nothing to do with anything other than what the vehicle can tow without overheating on a test track. That fact is pointed out regularly in the reputable mags. Stopping in an emergency is going to be 90% relied upon by the trailer brakes. Doesn't matter much what the tow vehicle is.
  • joe540cijoe540ci Member Posts: 17
    The window sticker is $33,640 I do not want to disrespect the dealership with too low of an offer. So I would like to offer $25,640 Thats -$8000. Does anyone know if they will bit on this offer or just laugh at me. Thanks joe
    Here's one view of how easily the Tundra might get to 200K units if not 300K in 2008.

Annual Sales
    Ford.... 900,000 units
    GM...... 900,000
    Dodge... 350,000
    Toyota.. 120,000
    Nissan.. 60,000

Because of ...
    an old style, smallest engine, turmoil a the top and 50% of workers leaving Ford loses 20% of it's sales ( 10% GM / 10% Toyota ) - 180,000 units
    Dodge which is in an incredible mess ( see Det Press ) with an old design loses 20% of it's sales ( 10% GM / 10% Toyota ). -70,000 units
    Nissan with a capable but very limited vehicle ( two cabs, one engine, very limited payload ) lose 10% - 6,000 units

GM actually gains sales overall ( Lutz' view ) to 1.0-1.1 Million units. + 150,000 units
    Toyota gains the rest of the 'defectors' as well as increasing it's deliveries to current Tundra owners ( + 20% ) + 130,000 units

It wouldn't be too hard to envision a jump to 200K+ units in 2008 ( 2007 is only a part year ).

However if gas jumps to $4.00/Gal all bets are off, anything could happen.
    I think its possible they could sell 200k a year with some good luck, but anything more and were starting to get ahead of ourselves.
    For years Dodge has made a living putting attractive sheet metal over unreliable under pinnings, and they still sell 350k a year. Dodge Ram owners are almost as fanatical about their rides as mustang owners. Toyota will have a tough time getting Ram owners to leave their trucks. Even when you drive by in your reliable Tundra and their stuck on the side of the road with a blown transmission.
    Fords unveiling their new Super Duty at the NA auto show in January. The Americans pour money into updating their trucks every year. Their so afraid of losing market share in a "bread & Butter" segment.
    Check out the long term road review of the Silverado over at Inside Line and you'll see how solid the product choices already are. When a long term review has 3k miles on it and the only complaint is the heater buttons, you can see how competitive the segment is.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    there seems to be alot of attention paid to tow ratings of these 1/2 ton trucks, and all the manufacturers are guilty to a point but lets be reasonable here what good is 10,000# capacity? using the rule of thumb that you need 10% tongue weight so thats 1000# on the back of your truck, with the proper weight distribution hitch you might have enough payload capacity left to carry a full tank of gas. Now I pull a 7000# trailer with my 1/2 ton chev and i certainly know its there. It is stable and the truck is rated for more but that is all i am comfortable pulling with it. I guess my point is "physically " anyone can throw in a bigger engine and transmission and the truck will pull 20,000# but without the proper frame, suspension etc... who cares. If you need a serious towing truck(which i consider 10,000lbs serious) then go for a 3/4t or even a 1t
    You make a great point. If a person is going to do serious hauling there not even looking at the trucks were talking about. There out buying heavy duties and/or diesel engines.
    It takes a backend loaded with dirt, stone, or an iron block to see the suspension sag on the average 1/2 ton. There's not a lot of things you can put in a truck bed that will max out payload capacity without hauling a trailer.
    For years Dodge has made a living putting attractive sheet metal over unreliable under pinnings, and they still sell 350k a year. Dodge Ram owners are almost as fanatical about their rides as mustang owners. Toyota will have a tough time getting Ram owners to leave their trucks

Here is that data that Toyota has found in truck buyers..

Dodge buyers are the least loyal. Nearly 65% of them would consider another vehicle.
    GM buyers are the next likely to switch. 65% of current Tundra owners were GM owners previously.
    Over 50% of Ford buyers would never consider anything other than a Ford. This was before the recent turmoil.

It only addresses buyers' sentiments.

Even when you drive by in your reliable Tundra and their stuck on the side of the road with a blown transmission.

Please, rather than continuing an intelligent exchange you're falling into the 'hopes of the detroiters' context. 'I sure hope this Tundra falls on it's face because if it's as good as the rumors then my [ fill-in-a-name ] is going to look pretty weak in comparison.' 'Please let the Tundra fall on it's face. Don't let them get this right too.'

Am I right?
    The great thing about this battle is its not going to be fought on the East and West coast. Its going to be fought in the Mid West, Texas, Interior West, and the South. The only way Toyota is going to sell 200k Tundras is if everybody in California trades in their Camry for a Truck. This isn't the first time Toyota had big plans for the US pickup market, and the last time they fell on their face. They planned on selling a whole lot more then 120k a year. I don't have numbers on me because it was so long ago, but I think they had bigger sales goals when the last Tundra came out. Toyota still has extra capacity at their truck plant in Indiana that their not using. A couple years ago I heard how Nissan was going to have the big 3 running in fear with the new Titan. So far the Japanese 0-2 in the pickup segment.
    You misread all the signs.. Looking at the broader picture this is the trend you'd see.

80-90's small pickup
    mid 90's 1st Gen Tacoma
    2003 Tacoma takes over the midsized category ( with the Frontier )

mid 90's T100
    MY 2000 1st Gen Tundra
    MY 2007 Tundra blast onto the scene with class leading everything.

This has never been about one specific model or year. This is about 7-15 years from now. The NGT will be class leading and it'll be up to all the rest to react. If Ford and Dodge can't solve their internal problems they will just fall by the wayside.

Wanna bet on past performance that when Toyota decides to make a big investment it wont pay off? This is a given. It's only a matter of time.
    A year from now Texas will be a one shift operation kicking out 150k a year. I would't call it blasting. It kinda looks like a Hot Wheels on the outside, and looks like cheap plastic on the inside.
    You're reverting to childishness. But even if it were so how would the other three feel being thrashed by a Hot Wheels.

Again you miss the point. This isn't about 2007 or even 2008. It's about 2012 thru 2015 and putting 500K to 700K Tundras on the road every year, just like the Camry and Corolla, and making a bundle of money in doing it. If it take 4 yrs then that's what it'll take. If it's 8 yrs well then it'll be 8 yrs.

It will get done one way or another. When a company invests this much money in a new plant, especially Toyota, then it will be a success.
    Well you are obviously an import lover, and love to hype a truck that you haven't taken a ride in yet. Do you even own a full size truck? The last Tundra was supposedly Best in Class, and where has that got them. 15 years ago Toyota planned on moving 500k a year by now, and where are they now (120K). Looks wise the new Tundra design is a step backwards inside and outside compared to the older truck. Toyota should stick to boring exteriors. Every time Toyota tries to make a hip exterior they go way overboard. It's almost like they try to hard.
    Your numbers speak for themselves. 50% of all F-150 buyers wouldn't even consider buying another brand. 35% of Dodge & GM buyers wouldn't consider another brand. So by your numbers over 40% of all truck buyers are not going to consider another brand. Let alone a Japanese brand. In an earlier post you speculated Ford could lose 180k a year to Toyota because of an older model. How is that going to happen when 50% off all F-150 buyers wouldn't own another truck regardless of quality or capability? Lets see a poll of how many domestic truck owners would ever set foot in a Japanese dealership.
    Your numbers speak for themselves. 50% of all F-150 buyers wouldn't even consider buying another brand. 35% of Dodge & GM buyers wouldn't consider another brand. So by your numbers over 40% of all truck buyers are not going to consider another brand. Let alone a Japanese brand. In an earlier post you speculated Ford could lose 180k a year to Toyota because of an older model. How is that going to happen when 50% off all F-150 buyers wouldn't own another truck regardless of quality or capability? Lets see a poll of how many domestic truck owners would ever set foot in a Japanese dealership.

Either math isn't your strong suit or you didn't read all of the data.

I didn't say 180,000 Ford owners would move to Toyota. ( BTW this is only 20% of Ford's total sales. ) I estimated that Ford would lose 180,000 owners, probably because of cutbacks at the plants ( Norfolk ) and financial weakness, but that most of these lost sales would go to GM!!!!

You missed that part I guess.

Yes 50% won't consider anything but Ford but that means that 50% will look elsewhere. I guess you missed that point too.

Your numbers speak for themselves. 50% of all F-150 buyers wouldn't even consider buying another brand. 35% of Dodge & GM buyers wouldn't consider another brand. So by your numbers over 40% of all truck buyers are not going to consider another brand.

I will go along with this point that 40% of buyers ( F/GM/D ) won't consider any other brand. That seems reasonable. But it also says that 60% ( the majority of buyers ) will consider another brand. This seems to be what Toyota has found as well. Most buyers will consider another truck.

Now about 'Lets see a poll of how many domestic truck owners would ever set foot in a Japanese dealership. ' Toyota and all automakers track the trade-ins at each store since it's part of the transaction. Toyota has found in it's Tundra sales that 65% of new Tundra owners are.....were prior GM owners!!

Now what was it you were saying about who putting a foot in a Japanese dealership?
    Just because 60% of truck buyers will look at other brands doesn't mean even 10% of them are going to consider a Toyota. Cars do not have anywhere near that kind of brand loyalty. Toyota would be extremely happy if 40% of Camry owners would never consider a Accord or Nissan. Your 65% of previous Gm owners in Tundras were not driving silverados when they traded in. GM has picked up truck market share over the last 15 years. Like I said earlier, you are hyping a truck that hasn't even been in a long term test yet. The older Tundra is a far better looking ride. Go read the long term review of the silverado at inside lines. The Silverado sure looks like perfection on wheels to everybody reviewing it.
    You seem to be of the opinion that by saying the Tundra will succeed that somehow I'm knocking the GM product. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I think both will be very very successful.

As you will read back above I will certainly derfer to Lutz if he thinks GM will go to 1.0+ Million vehicles I'll agree there too.

GM has 2 winners with the GMT900's. Your wish that the Tundra will fail is wishful thinking at best.
    I don't think Toyota will fail. I just don't think Toyota is going to take as much market share as you do. In fact I wouldn't doubt the Titan is eliminated in a few more years, because of the Tundra. I can see 150k to 200k a year in sales for the Tundra if they don't have to many quality problems.
    I just think you are under playing the pro American attitude of large truck & suv buyers. The day you look at the back window of a Tundra, and see Calvin pissing on a Nissan logo you'll know the Japanese have made a dent in the truck segment.
    Sorry about the Language.
    As weird as this may sound I am both a Chevy and Toyota truck fan. I've had two Chevy trucks in the stable in the past and loved them both. In 2004, I got rid of my Chevy and bought a Toyota. I really missed the styling of the Chevy as well as the power and torque. Nonetheless, I don't regret getting the Toyota because it has given me 45k trouble free miles thus far. I am anxious to see the new Tundra in person as well as driving it. Toyota needs to go bigger and badder to compete in this segment and that is what they did w/ the redesign. Toyota was also missing different engine options in its current design. A problem which is also going to be fixed w/ the redesign.
    All in all- I think both trucks are (or will be) a success. ;)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I just don't think Toyota is going to take as much market share as you do."

Quite possibly - large truck/large SUV buyers can be a closed minded group unwilling to even TRY anything else, convinced in their own mind that all media reviews supporting THEIR favorite brand are correct, while media reviews praising the competition (particularly foreign competition) is 'obviously' biased.

However, it was said 15 years ago that while the imports had a lock on the small car market, there was no way that they'd ever make serious inroads into the midsize family car market.....

Care to look at market share for Chevy midsize cars vs. either the Camry or Accord?

No one is saying that Toyota will have the MAJORITY of the truck market.....all that's being said is that their market share WILL grow. A lot of those buyers may well be Camry owners looking for a full-size truck to replace their F150 or Silverado.
    Are they going to have a smaller v8? If the Tundra really has 380-hp that thing is going to drink a lot of gas. I don't care what any dealer says that thing is going to get about 14 mpg overall with 380-hp. GM doesn't sell vary many trucks with the optional 6.0L, and I think its got 365-hp. I heard the 6.0L vortec gets a whopping 12 mpg overall.
    According to Edmunds, the redesign will have 3 engines, a V6, 4.7L V8 and the 5.7L.

IMHO, I don't think people who buy large trucks/SUV's with large motors w/ gobs of hp and torque really care about gas mileage. ;)
    They do. Both Ford & GM have a hard time selling the optional big gas motors. If people need more power they jump straight to the diesels nowadays. HD/SD diesels are all over the place. GM sells so few of the 6.0L vortecs that they don't even put a special badge on the truck.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. My position is that anyone who drives a full size truck or SUV is not looking for Civic/Corolla type gas mileage even with the smallest engine configurations.

"GM sells so few of the 6.0L vortecs that they don't even put a special badge on the truck."

You sure? I was reading Edmunds' review of the 07 Silverado and they state:

"Plastered on the side of our redesigned 2007 Chevrolet Silverado test truck is a bright red badge that reads "Vortec Max." It's the best name Chevrolet could come up with for the top-of-the-line 6.0-liter V8 under the hood, but we're not digging it."
    I work at a GM truck plant that builds all 4 door Chevy/Gmc HDs. After 9/11 and gas prices shot up demand for the 6.0L disappeared. We build 350 trucks per shift and you're lucky if 10 trucks have the 6.0L. We average about 60% with the Duramax Diesel and 40% 5.3L vortec. GM builds more HDs with Diesel engines then all gas engines combined. Before 9/11 we averaged close to 20 6.0L vortecs a day and 60% 5.3L vortec. The last 6 years demand for diesels has sky rocketed. I don't know what the ratios are for Ford & Dodge. I think GM does a little more diesel business then competitors, because the Duramax is hands down the best truck engine in the world. Thank god for Isuzu Motors.You're probably right about the vortec badge. The 2006 models didn't have it, and we haven't switched over to the 2007's yet. Chevy/GMC HD's start being built in mid February and should hit the dealers in late March.
    Hey kdhspyder, just because I work for GM doesn't mean I don't like foreign cars. I would love to get my hands on a Lexus. Now thats a car I consider "Best in Class", and would look nice parked next to my Silverado.
    "I think GM does a little more diesel business then competitors, because the Duramax is hands down the best truck engine in the world. Thank god for Isuzu Motors."

I have a friend w/ a Cummins that would probably beg to differ ;)

Happy motoring :D
    Yeah so would a bunch of Ford guys, but the numbers don't lie. GM went from no Diesels to market leader overnight and has had the crown for a while. Those Ford & Dodge diesels are so damn loud it's scary. My neighbors got a 2004 SD powerstroke Ford he swears is the best, but you can hear him comming a block away. Isuzu has the best commercial diesels in the world, and Gm paid big bucks to get that technology. The American diesel makers lag behind asian & european makers.
    I just seen the crew cab Tundra and have to say it's better looking then the extended cab. Looks a little to big, but a better look.
    The truck is rated 381 horsepower and 405 pounds feet torque.My friend works for my local dealership and that waht he says are the final figures.Thats a bit too powerful for only a 5.7 Liter V8. It should get a responsive 325-340 horsepower and 360-390 pounds feet torque. Thats just too much. It will probally get 10 or 11 MPG city and maybe 16 MPG hwy. Are they tring to build an army tank or something. It looks good but it has way to much power(bad gas mileage).The new Silverado and Sierra can get 21 MPG hwy. The way the gas is going up Nobody will buy the new Tundra's. Pretty soon the gas will be $4 a gallon and Toyota will get very little sales. Then they will have to do something about it then. (decrease in power)
    The 5.7 engine the most powerful engine that will be offered by Toyo. There are 2 smaller engines available- one of them being the 4.7 V8. I do agree with you that it will undoubtedly have low gas mileage but then again people who buy full size SUV's and trucks do not expect record breaking gas mileage. The "big" engine offerings by Dodge, Ford and GM do not have exceptional gas mileage either. People who need heavy duty trucks w/ powerful engines and a bunch of torque IMHO are not using their rigs for quick runs to the grocery store. Their probably using it for work, play (towing boats e.g.) or both.
    To say that "nobody will buy the new Tundra's" is a overstatement.
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    The amount of peak horsepower it puts out does not necessarily correlate to no gas mileage. It is a function of weight, gearing, and the amount of right boot to name a few. A Corvette can get 25+ miles per gallon and it has over 400 hp.

Regards,
    Tom
  • rdsumrdsum Member Posts: 12
    The 5.7 engine looks like a good one. Does it have a timing chain or does one have to replace the timing belt as a "regular" maintenance item? It is interesting how the costs build at the dealer when they suggest other things to replace at the same time as the belt.

Toyota will not be able to sell 200,000 Tundras if they only have one or two on their lot to sell. Toyota dealers in Canada do not stock trucks to any great extent. Just have a look at a Ford or Chev dealer and you can take your pick of color and options. It is going to be an interesting few years to see how Toyota is going to fare in the "real" truck market.
    In three weeks we'll know more about the 5.7L but Toyota is going toward timing chains on all their engines.