Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• 1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
    I had an opportunity last week to see the new 5.7 liter V8 in a "cut away" view in person. Toyota is using 2 timing chains for the new 5.7 liter. Also, I have heard that the new 5.7 will be in the "300-20 club". Meaning it will be producing 300+ hp and have a hwy. EPA fuel economy rating of 20 mpg or higher. Toyota is gearing up to bump up production to reach the 200k unit mark. That's the reason for the new San Antonio plant. The Indiana plant can easily pump out 100k to 125k units a year. With the addition of TMMTX you'll be seeing alot more trucks on dealer's lots.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    A few points to ponder:

1. The are many, 100k-200k full-size owners, who are driving domestics/Tacos that have the Next Tundra on their radar screens. Doesn't mean even half will buy, but it will be investigated. Many were waiting for Toyota to offer a Hemi/Triton/Vortex competitor!

2. Toyota has about 500k+ current Tundra owners looking at Tundra 2.0 as well.

3. Toyota car owners generally move to the domestics to get the size/power they want, but become disgruntled with the trade-offs. Toyota can market to these defectors.

4. The 4.7 has almost as much power as the Triton 5.4!

5. The interior is a disappointment, and the grille is confusing, but the sheetmetal itself is tight, like skin- over-muscle.

6. Fleet sales will become more focused this time around.

7. Ford, Dodge, and Nissan are losing share, and GM and 'Yota WILL pick up the pieces. The Titan is done if it can't sell before the Chevy and 'Tundra arrive!

DrFill
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Concise and spot on for all of these points.

Ford acknowledged yesterday, NYTimes article that it was contracting and that Toyota should pass it in 2007 but it was also concerned about contracting too much where Chrysler also passed it. Ford is really really really cutting back; Taurus, minivans, Explorers, F150's, Wixom plant (?), domestic made Rangers in St Paul (?). It may be almost half the size it was 5 yrs ago.

GM is on a good streak; Kudo's to the Silverado for MT TOTY ( good job to chevy598 and your coworkers !), Acadia/Outlook, Aura/Malibu, hybrid initiatives and 2 mode system. Do something about the Cobalt!!
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Excerpt from the article:

"The Toyota Tundra, voted Edmunds.com’s Most Significant Vehicle of 2007, will take a chunk of large truck market share from the domestic automakers. This is a very profitable segment, so any loss in market share will have a disproportionately large impact financially. In terms of sales volume, Toyota will overtake Ford as the number two automaker in America by mid-2007."
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    So your saying the truck will not have 381 hp. It will have probabally and estimate of 320 hp. plus 20 miles per gallon. GREAT!! Besides thats enough power. GO TOYOTA TUNDRA!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Maybe thats why Toyota just took GM's share of Isuzu off their hands?!!

Now that the Own part of Isuzu they will will be able to use Isuzu dielse Technology

And use the Suburu plants that they bought the month before.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    remeber you are not talking about a 40 year old Over head valve disgned engine your taloking about a Dual overehead vale design with variable valve timing probaly on both the intake and exhaust valave like the 3.5 in the Avalon and Camry.
    In my opinion the 2 best fullsize trucks (as of Feb 2007) will be the Chevy Silverado and Toyota Tundra Here's why

1.Both trucks deliver over 300 hp.

2.Both trucks will get 20+ MPG Hwy.

3.Both trucks can tow more than 10,000 lbs.

4.Can take more than 2000 lbs of payload.

But here's why I think why Chevy has an advatage against Toyota.

Better interior
    Looks a bit more refined.

Here's were I think we can Toyota has an advantage.

Indegrated tow hitch
    6 speed automatic transmission
    Bluetooth Navigation
    If the numbers are accurate it seem like a balanced perspective. The numbers and the performance will be telling but from the reports of those who've driven the new Tundra it seems accurate.
    Aaah...no. I think you misunderstood me. The "300/20 Club" means a full sized truck with 300 or more horsepower AND it's rated for 20 mpg or more EPA hwy. Not 320 horses.
    Toyota still hasn't released HP/Torque rates as of yet. Jan 8th at the Detroit Auto Show is where and when we'll know the exact #'s. I'm merely guessing/estimating the ratings from driving and experiencing the truck. :D
  • ddigglerddiggler Member Posts: 17
    Sorry but I did not see a section that I thought this question would fit in. Being new to this forum (not to the discussion concept) may I suggest to the moderators that it is a bit confusing. The topics need re-thinking, I did not see anything when looking to even start a new thread, thus I posted here. Threads that seemed to fit had this "Attention" and then they just had a link that dumped you back into the topic area.

What are the REAL figures people are getting as far as MPG city/highway for a 2006/2007 Tundra, V6 or V8 engines?

Currently I have a 1991 Ford F250, that served me well over the past years. Was more reliable then my 1986 Toyota 4X4 SR5, however after 180k miles the tranny went out and Im looking at a new truck. Im not crazy about what Ford offers today and Toyota is where I want to be. I see that they dropped a V6 with 4WD, did this mean they had problems and it was under powered? My goal is to find a model that has decent mileage and 4Wd.

Thanks
    So your saying it can get 381 hp and 405 lbs ft torque while delivering 20 MPG. Thats worth trading in for my Ram.
    see that they dropped a V6 with 4WD, did this mean they had problems and it was under powered? My goal is to find a model that has decent mileage and 4Wd.

Usually when they add or drop models it's because the buyers are not asking for a specific combination. It's true that they aren't offering a 4WD V6 but it's because of lack of demand.... and the Tacoma has the same V6 with 4WD.
  • bsparks294bsparks294 Member Posts: 23
    Just read that the 2008 Tundra will be one of those models that can use the different alternative types of fuel such as is on some of the GM cars already.

That would be great.
    This post are some of my questions on the Crew Max. 1972ck
    will the Crew Max get the same Gas Mileage as the Double Cab? Also will the Crew Max have a longbed option? If so how long will the longbed be? My final question is in January will they still be selling the 2006 Tundra?I've heard the 2007 Tundra comes in Feb. '07.
    The Gas Mileage is one of the key points to be debuted on January 7th.

As of now there is no standard bed or long bed option on the CrewMax. The initial 31 configurations have been published now for a month or so.

The availability of 2006 models depends on each individual store. I believe that 2006 production has stopped now at Princeton since it will start up the 2007 CrewMax next week. What 2006's are out there are the last ones.

IMO most stores will run out of '06 models before the '07s arrive in Feb.
  • toyotadadtoyotadad Member Posts: 6
    Just spent four days in an '07 Tundra Double Cab with the 4.7 V-8 and FIVE-SPEED auto. I've owned everything but a Dodge, and am a retired automotive journalist, so I do have quite a bit of experience comparing vehicles, and although my family tie to Toyota admittedly makes me a bit biased, IMO the Tundra is the real deal. I currently have a Tacoma Prerunner Double Dab, and still wasn't used to the Tundra's size, but the fit and finish were excellent -- given that it was a quality control test truck. Had good power, fuel economy in an even mix of city, freeway and rural driving was about 17, and the ride quality was better than expected. Even I don't know the price yet, but don't think the truck itself with disappoint anyone.
    My source tells me the Crew Max will be available beginning in March, with most dealers being well stocked by late April or early May.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Tested 0-60 in 7.5 by C&D, with 6.0.

Who wants to be Tundra's time? I say 6.9. ;)

DrFill
    Hi,
    Toyota hasn't released the fuel economy ratings to anyone. My guess would be...yes they will be the same. (EPA ratings) The Crew Max looks as though it has the same chassis as the Double Cab L/B. I too would like to see a 6 1/4' bed on a Crew Max as well. The Crew Max is being built to compete with the Ford F150 Crew. Which is only available in a smaller bed configuration. Perhaps if enough people complain/ask Toyota might be willing to stretch the new Tundras platform to enable them to build a bigger box for the back. It all going to based upon Toyota feeling if they spend the extra coin to develop it will it sell. (?) My guess is there are no current plans for the 6 1/4' bed for the Crew Max. The Crew Max is scheduled to be avaible for sale on dealer's lot in April. That's the latest I have heard from corporate. The 2006 Tundra is all done as far as production. The '06 inventory levels are getting scarce. Dealers should start getting their '07's by the last week in Jan. and the 1st weel in February. The transport companies only ship to dealers when the have a full load of vehicles going to a particulaer area. That being said...with the new Tundra being that much larger than the current generation Tundra. The transport rigs should be filled quicker. (bigger truck takes up more space)
  • toysalepersontoysaleperson Member Posts: 2
  • toysalepersontoysaleperson Member Posts: 2
    hey guys,as a toyota saleperson,its amazing to see all the babble that goes on in theses forums.....the new 5.7l will be rated at over 385 hp and 400 ft lbs of torque,toyota measures there horses at the rear wheels ,unlike the competitors who claim there horses are accurate,however they measure it at the crank....i just got back from a ride and drive of the new tundra vs titan,f150,hemi ram,the new 6.0 silverado(a dog)aqnd let me tell you,its over for them,pack it up big 3 and nissan,this truck is unreal.....any questions feel free
  • vixtervixter Member Posts: 34
    I'm a Toyota salesperson in western Canada, I go to my ride &drive middle of next month. What's the payload?, GVWR?, rear end gears? Mileage? :confuse:
  • mrjones944mrjones944 Member Posts: 8
    Arnt all auto makers now required to rate the engine horsepower the same and from the crank. I have never seen a manufacturer rate the horsepower from the wheels and seriously doubt the tundra will have 385 at the wheels. You sound like a salesperson, who much like other salespeople, dont know [non-permissible content removed] about what youre selling.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "My guess is there are no current plans for the 6 1/4' bed for the Crew Max."

Just how much bigger is the cab on the Crew Max compared to the DC?

The reason I ask is because the long-bed version of the Double Cab has an inside bed length of 97.6" according to Toyota's website. Thats a smidge over 8'. Assuming the same chassis/wheelbase, Toyota could easily add 18" to the cab length for a Crew Max version and still provide a box length approaching 6-1/2'.

Besides, the Ford Super Crew with a 6-1/2 bed has a wheelbase of 'only' 150.5". The wheelbase on the upcoming Tundra DoubleCab Long Bed has a wheelbase of 164.5" (which is 4" LONGER than even the Dodge MegaCab). Given that wheelbase, I think it's safe to say the upcoming Tundra Crew Max will have at LEAST a 6-1/4' bed.
    Even at the ride and drives all this info is omitted. No one is stealing the president's thunder by letting the official specs out early.

HP, torque, payload, towing capacity, GVWR, rear ends, etc, etc are all still 'unofficial'. Everyone is pretty sure of the range but how that translates to the road is what everyone is waiting to see. The ride and drives give a good indication though. :surprise: WOW! might be an understatement.
    According to my official specs.the cargo bed length of the "Double-cab Plus" (as we will call it up here in Canada) is going to be 66.7 inches or about 5&1/2 feet.
    Besides, the Ford Super Crew with a 6-1/2 bed has a wheelbase of 'only' 150.5". The wheelbase on the upcoming Tundra DoubleCab Long Bed has a wheelbase of 164.5" (which is 4" LONGER than even the Dodge MegaCab). Given that wheelbase, I think it's safe to say the upcoming Tundra Crew Max will have at LEAST a 6-1/4' bed.

All that's official now are Toyota's designations of
    short bed.
    regular bed.
    long bed.

The 31 initial configurations are published already so that the dealers can order the vehicles. In the CrewMax bodies all that's available is the 'short bed'. Now how long the short bed is will have to wait until Jan 7th.

If the short bed is only 5.5' then Toyota may be waiting for the debut of the diesel in the near future to offer regular and long bed options for the CrewMax.
    Do you know if the 'Double-cab Plus' is built on the same chassis (wheelbase) as the Double Cab Long Bed (164.5") or is it built on the chassis of the Double-cab Regular Bed (145.7")?

Given a 97.6" bed length for the DC Long Bed (on the 164.5" chassis), I have a hard time seeing a bed length over 30" shorter on that same chassis. Well, maybe for a limo version.... ;)

However, given a 78.7" bed length for the DC Reg Bed (on the shorter 145.7" chassis), I can certainly see the shorter 66.7" bed for the DC+ (Crew Max).

Which tells me that, come next spring, the initial Crew Max trucks will arrive on the shorter chassis. Perhaps the Crew Max Reg Bed (on the longer 164.5" chassis) won't arrive until the HD versions are released (with perhaps an available diesel) sometime in '08?
    ... will be on the Toyota Website on Jan. 7, which is after its official intro at the Chicago auto show. As stated by others earlier, there will be NO longbed Crew Max. My only exposure to the Crew Max was to sit in one at a sales training seminar on the West Coast (last week). It IS appreciable larger than the Double Cab and the rear seatbacks recline. I should have a 5.7 to drive within a week or so and will report.
    ... will be 6.5 feet.
    Careful...
    That would make it 78" long. On the Tundra website Toyota lists the regular bed as being 78.7" long. The configuration list from Toyota indicates that the CrewMax comes only in the 'short bed'.

Unless it was a typo back a month or so ago it seems the DCab bed will be shorter than the regular bed... at least initially.
    "Unless it was a typo back a month or so ago it seems the DCab bed will be shorter than the regular bed... at least initially."

Careful....

Are you saying the DOUBLE CAB bed will be shorter than the regular bed (at least initially)? Toyota's miniwebsite for the new Tundra lists the DOUBLE CAB with two bed lengths: 78.7" and 97.6".

I think you were referring to the Crew Max version; not the DCab....
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239

Yep - but evidently, no turning circle..... :surprise:
    According to my 07 Ordering Guide (VOAS), the Double-Cab + will have the same wheelbase as the Double-cab standard bed (145.6").The overall lengths are the same as well at 228.7".There are no indications thus far of any ammendments to the 2007 VOAS to incorporate standard bed lengths to the DC+ or Crew-Max.
    Up here in Canada, I know for a fact that the super-sized cab model is called the Double-Cab Plus. I'm just wondering why they would call it a Crew-Max down your way? I mean I agree that the DC+ name doesn't really send fear into the hearts of men (I sent my thoughts to Toyota Canada), it should be the same across the continent. Any thoughts or comments?
    Dunno why the different names for what are otherwise identical vehicles.

Just out of curiousity, if you've got bed dimensions for the upcoming DC+ version (or 'Crew Max' south of the border), would you happen to have the interior room dimensions as well? I'm particularly curious about differences in head/legroom between the two different 4-door models (and any differences in interior storage as well).
  • jdelabrejdelabre Member Posts: 57
    NO WAY will it have 385 at the wheels! It would have to have a rating of 450 h.p. to do that. I sold my 04 Tundra 4x4 Limited doublecab with 4.10 posi because of BAD MPG. I now own a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. Like driving a race car. I have owned 3 Toyota trucks in a row. I LOVE THEM! But I no longer need a truck. Good luck with the new 07 Tundra with MPG. I was told I can see one in Feb. 07. I have to see one, but I will stick with my new 07 Acura TL Type-S with 300 h.p. 0-60 5.5 seconds. :):(
    Trucks are tuned for torque not horsepower! Torque is what moves and tows heavy loads. The 3.5 liter in a Honda Pilot sport utility is 240 h.p. But its 300 h.p. in my 07 Acura TL Type S. At higher rpm. Look at diesals. Low h.p. but crazy torque. :)
    Sorry, all interior dimensions are still listed TBD (to be determined). I'm quite anxious to know as well :confuse:
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    That's the only sad thing. The Toyota trucks have never been the best with fuel economy.
    Why did you need a truck before may I ask?
    It's the model designation that's confusing. The 2006 DCab is the 'Double Cab' this year. It changes in 2007..

BCab is Regular Cab.. standard and long beds
    CCab is Double Cab.. standard and long beds
    DCab is CrewMax .. short bed only
    Yep - but evidently, no turning circle.....

Another development that is part of the info embargo officially. From those that have driven it in Indiana and in the recent ride and drives there is a redesign of the wheels and steering that gives this NGT the tightest turning radius in the segment.
    I can see why you would think the new Tundra would not have a tight turning radius. I can say that you will be surprised! The new Tundra turns tighter than any other full sized p/u on the road. The new generation Tundra turns 3 ft. shorter than the current generation Tundra. The rear leaf springs are tapered in. This allows the rear axle to act like 4 wheel steering. As well as Toyota has moved the lower steering out to it's furtherest point. This allows for tighter turns and better responce. If you have ever had an opportunity to see a race car up close and personal you'll understand what I am saying. :D
    The Crew Max bed is 5'6" long.
    I wish I could have had a tape measure (or a camera) with me at both the "Truck Champion" meeting in Indiana and at our Ride and Drive in Boston. Toyota would not allow ANY photos of the Crew Max. I would say...and this is only a guess by eyeballing it. That the cab in the Crew Max is about 14 to 15 inches longer than the Double Cab. (overall) The rear seat room in the Crew Max is just enormous. I am 6'tall. I had the front seats pushed all the way back and the seat back reclined at about 20 degrees. I still had about 6 inches of room between my knees and the front seat back. (with the rear seat slid back) I can't even begin to explain the room in that bad boy. And man, it is a good looking truck. In my opinion the Crew Max looks better than the D-Cab anyday. There will be a nice bright red Crew Max in my driveway. (whenever they get here) TRD Off Road please...and toss in a rear back-up camera please. ;)
    I use to pull snowmobiles. Camping, trailers. Now my friends are dead, married and moved, and all my relatives are busy doing other things. So my $40,000 Decked 04 doublecab 4x4 Limited tundra with 4.10 posi, BFG All terrain ta ko's, borla dual exhaust, k&n intake, snugtop lid, bedrug, dvd system, xbox, wireless headphones remotes wasn't being used. SO there is my answer! It was the best truck, but if it had 100 more horse I might of kept it. Any more questions? :surprise:
    "BCab is Regular Cab.. standard and long beds
    CCab is Double Cab.. standard and long beds
    DCab is CrewMax .. short bed only"

Well, that explains my confusion. For some silly reason I had interpreted "DCab" as meaning Double Cab, like it has in the past......go figure. :confuse:
    Courtesy of Ts and MySA.com

Tundra production at TMMTX
    You know what I wished I'd kept my Tacoma 'til Febuary! My Ram has so many problems just last week it sucked an entire tank of gas like that! Only about 8 MPG! Also when I start it up it takes about 10 seconds for the engine to work! Also the brakes suck! Since I bought it I've went three times to the dealership to get new brake pads! I paid 35,000 dollars for this truck I expect better quality! I'm going for a Tundra Double Cab 2x4 SR5 5.7 L V8 w/ TRD off road in Silver Streak Mica! Waiting until Feb. 2007! I drove Toyota Trucks for 10 years should have stuck with them!