Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    "You know whats really funny is the import lovers that know absolutley nothing about trucks (and how would they since theyve never had one unless you count the titan) and now all of a sudden they are experts on the subject."

I for one never claimed to be an expert on trucks, and stated that in my previous post. I am also not an "import" lover. I have owned 7 trucks to date, all Chevy's and GMC's. This is my first Toyota, and I wouldn't call it an import. Chevy lost me, Toyota won me when I bought my wife an 05 Camry. Pure and simple.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    What if....

Like the prior poster the 'import lovers' have been driving Big 3 trucks forever... just waiting for a competitive Toyota to arrive.

What if...

After years and years of dissatisfaction these former detroiter-makde truck owners know far too much about trucks and recognize something special in this Tundra.

Do you think that these are Corolla buyers suddenly jumping into the Tundras. It's former GM/F/D owners that know what Toyota has done.
    exactly spyder, well put.

This Tundra is one special truck, period.

And, guys that like trucks know that.

Hey, I'm 6' 1" and when I stand next to this Tundra, it is HUGE! I can barely reach over the side and get something small out of the bed!

I like that though, suits me just fine. Little guys will have a difficult time stealing something out of the bed of my truck, lol.

And, HOW ABOUT THAT TAILGATE, WOW!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    :D

When homers start calling out Toyota trucks on quality! How will a Toyota hold up? I wish there was some hereditary pattern that could shed some light on this freightening proposition?

Toyota trucks are never used for work. Never heard of such a thing!

DrFill :blush:
  • 07wildbill07wildbill Member Posts: 29
    this is all new territory for this beast of a truck.new 5.7 engine,tranny 6 speed,the jury is still out.there will be some gliches in this truck,but time will tell.fuel gauge problems already in the 07 tundra!,as i said earlier i will sit back watch and learn from anxious new toyota owners.this is great for chevy, ford, maybe this will wake a sleeping giant.GOOD LUCK SPYDERMAN!
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    When homers start calling out Toyota trucks on quality! How will a Toyota hold up? I wish there was some hereditary pattern that could shed some light on this freightening proposition?

I guess all those guys complaining about their camry 6 speed transmission problems are homers? Its really not hard to find that toyota has more than their share of quality problems lately it just involves taking ones head out the sand and looking around.

Toyota trucks are never used for work. Never heard of such a thing!

Im sorry I wasnt aware that there were previous generations of tundras haulin around 10000# how foolish of me :blush:
  • andy82471andy82471 Member Posts: 120
    Do you really own a 07 Tundra ? Maybe you should read what the forum header says. If not, you shouldn't be posting here. There are plenty of forums for (GM) GARBAGE MOTORS and FOUND ON THE ROAD DEAD (FORD)
  • jimmynjimmyn Member Posts: 1
    I stopped at a local Toyota dealer this weekend and put my $$ down for a DC 5.7. I think I have more knowledge than even most dealer people on what needs repairs. I do floorplan inventory inspections at auto dealers, which means I look at the inventory of ALL auto companies. I am on different dealer lots EVERY day. (Okay not Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, or the like.) After seeing and hearing what I hear there was NO way I was going to buy an "American" truck. F150s blow spark plugs like I blow my nose, and their "Super Dutys" can't seem to keep a tranny in them. I know Chevy sells more units than anyone else, but I see more Chevy pickups in for service than anything outside of Land Rover and Jaguar. I rarely see a Toyota or Honda engine being completely removed and replaced, I can't say the same for the "American 3" (Which when people say "Big 3", I hope they realize that Toyota is #2 in sales in the US and worldwide, so shouldn't it be the "Big 4"?) Styling is subjective, along with comfort, but the ONLY "American" truck I would even consider is a Dodge with the Cummins Diesel, and since I have no use for diesel...... Anyone who bashes the Toyota for being "junk or "crap" doesn't have an ounce of common sense. I have owned trucks from Ford and Chevy, but never again. Toyota is poised to take the world's #1 spot in 2007, and it is just a matter of time before it is in the US too.
    very good andy. Start a thread for new Tundra owners and immediately the nay-sayers show up, bashing the truck, complaining that the jury is still out, etc.

It is not like Toyota woke up Monday morning and decided to build this truck and then put it together on Tuesday morning. They have been working on this truck for a very long time, and now it is ready.

will it have any problems? sure it will, all do. But some are acting like the motor and tranny will fall apart. You don't really think a company like Toyota put together a 5.7 motor and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly, do you?
    You don't really think a company like Toyota put together a 5.7 motor and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly, do you?

well do you really think a company like toyota would put together a v6 and a 6 speed tranny haphazardly? and for the record there is still no fix for these problems. And to be clear im not bashing the tundra it just dosent deserve to be placed on a pedestal, remember all the hoopla when the titan came out from all the import fans, where are they now?
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Do we need to go over the list of GM problems? I know you don't want to play the quality card against 'Yoda! Talk about a must-lose situation! :sick:

Even Toyota will have teething problems with new product.

But they'd have to have vehicles explode on ignition before they'd compare to Gm's shoddy record. :surprise:

Those who throw stones....

Gee, I thought pedestals were for the best in class?

DrFill
    Do we need to go over the list of GM problems? I know you don't want to play the quality card against 'Yoda! Talk about a must-lose situation!
    oh really? do we need to go over the list of recalls lately? not including toyotas hidden ones obviously, cause, well nobody knows how many of them there are since toyotas so sneaky about it. But they werent sneaky enough to fool them nascar offials now where they hahaha caught cheatin on their very first race that speaks volumes alone on the "toyota way"
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    This is the same wheel for the Landcuiser, you know, the one the UN drives out here in the desert.

Using this design increases torgue and side loading capacity. The bolts are larger and the spacing farther apart to cary the load better, has nothing to do with penny pinching.

And wildbill, take off the caps lock off, when you type in caps it means you are shouting and just makes youre posts more ridiculus
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    did you guys know that ex ford/jeep engineers spear-headed the design/engineering of the new tundra??

that means it can't be all that good, right?? :lol:
    KEEP WATCHING FOR FUTURE UP DATES ON THE 6 SPEED 07 TUNDRA TRANNY.MONEY'S BURNING A HOLE IN THEIR POCKET!LIKE A BUNCH OF LITTLE SCHOOL GIRLS,GOT THE ITCH REALLY BAD.WATCH AND LEARN.
    wake up! caps got your attention! thats what i wanted it to do .have a good day sir!
    come on now wildbill, let's look at some facts here:

you are here on the "new tundra owners" thread chating back and forth. you are at heart very impressed with the new tundra (or you wouldn't be here), but you can't afford to get one so your only recourse is to start bashing the vehicle.

now you are actually hoping that something real bad goes wrong with the trucks so that you can say, "whew, glad I didn't get one".

your too easy to figure, and all the rest of you bashing the new tundra. you cant get one, so bash it. those of us that can get one have studied them and looked em over, test drove them, and determined they are what they are, great trucks.
    Nissan cut corners in production and in the equipment needed to allow the Titan to do full-sized work.

There was no cutting corners here..
    .. the engine
    .. the tranny
    .. the rearend
    .. the safety features
    .. the braking system
    .. the towing capacity
    .. the carrying capacity
    All are either segment-leading, segment-only or right at the head of the class.

But you are right the market will speak its mind and the Tundra will find it's place.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Wow, I checked out this board to see Tundra owners and all I see now are GM/Ford/Dodge guys complaining about the Tundra that they DON'T own.
    For those feeling threatened somehow by the Tundra, by all means complain away (as is your natural right), but don't do it here, there are other forum boards to do it on. This area is for owners reporting on how their vehicle is doing, not for desparate, pathetic attempts to convince people to not get this truck. These people already have, so your voice adds nothing to the purchase result.
    And for the record, most of the people I know that are looking at this truck are current truck owners from Ford, Dodge, and GM. Like it was mentioned before, its not like people are moving from Corollas to Tundras. Truck buyers rarely change to something else, so if they do make a different move, it is usually laterally to another brand or to a newer version of whatever they currently have (assuming they're happy with their purchase).
    ATTENTION FINALLY & SPYDERMAN I BET YOU GUYS ARE TOYOTA DEFENSE ATTORNEYS!OR TOYOTA CAR SALESMAN! THE ANALYSIS YOU USE IS WEAK.NO SIR,I PAY CASH FOR ALL OF MY NEW VEHICLES.LETS BACK UP A LITTLE BIT HERE MR.SALESMAN,ALL I SEE IS CHEVY,FORD, DODGE,& TITAN BASHING BY TOYOTA LOYALISTS OR TOYOTA SALES PEOPLE! THIS TRUCK,MOTOR,TRANS IS A NEW DESIGN,IT WILL HAVE SOME PROBLEMS AT FIRST.BUT I'AM SURE TOYOTA WILL ADAPT WELL.A GOOD FIRST STEP FOR TOYOTA IN THE BIG TRUCK MARKET.FACT:ALREADY FUEL DASH GAUGE PROBLEM IN 07 TUNDRA TRUCK,I KNOW TECH'S THAT WORK AT TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS.YOU CANNOT DENY THAT.HAPPY TRUCKING.P.S(CAPS) FOR MY FRIEND SPYDERMAN.HANG IN THERE SPYDERMAN.SEE YOU IN 6 MONTHS.
    fyi wildbill. I am a federal wildlife biologist and a lifetime Chevy truck man.

I am here at this "2007 Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports" because I just purchased a new Tundra and want to offer my report on this vehicle.

WHY ARE YOU HERE?
  • abac1abac1 Member Posts: 19
    I test drive double cab about a week ago. In the limited time I drove it seem to live up the hype. Sales manager said the truck would be selling at MSRP for a year. I hope this is not the case. I have driven fords for over 20 years and have had good service. Currently driving F-150 with 265K. I am real interested in what current owners are getting in mileage and if any one is getting out the door for under MSRP. Will probably wait till summer to buy. Good luck to new owners.
    hi abac. you can get them under msrp right now at some dealers. i got mine for $1500 under. some are paying msrp, some are getting them for between $500 and $2000 off. just depends on the dealer and the buyer. my advice is to shop around at different dealers. you should be able to get at least $1000 off right now, if you shop.

good luck,
    x chevy man
    GAS MILEAGE (15 M.P.G) AVERAGE HIGHWAY&CITY 5.7.
  • inthemarket2inthemarket2 Member Posts: 2
    We (my family and I) have always had good luck with the f-150's, and since I traded my old one away to my father for a more fuel-efficient accord, I've regreted it. Though I have 140K on the 99 accord (no issues), I've always wanted a new truck. I've looked hard at the f-150's and have been following the T-150's for 6-7 mths, and have recently drove a 5.7 DC & MAN does that have power!!!

My problem is that the price of these trucks are equivalent to the average yearly salary of most working Americans. For instance my father was making 16K in 1979 and paid 4K (25% of his salary) for his f-150, now he would be making 35K for the same job and his truck would easily cost 25K (71% of his salary). Coming from a fairly frugal family who can get 250K+ from an F-150 (x 4), this hugh increase in price is ridiculous. I paid 16K for my 99 accord and have 140K, this thing would cost 20K now and my salary has not gone up 25% in the past 7 yrs.

Now coming off my soapbox and more relevant to this discussion, I've recently driven the T-150 5.7 L and was impressed with the drive and stopping capabilities of this vehicle. I think the new ford drives too much like a car (not the toyota though). I want to know from ya'll if I'm just being cheap or do you think the price of these pickup trucks are just too much for the average american.

BTW, I've waited 4 yrs for a pickup and am thinking of waiting another 6 mths to a year to get either the f-150 or toyota. I'm still now convinced which will last longer just because I've owned many fords that have stood the test of time.
    BROTHER I TO TEST DROVE ONE,THEY HAUL [non-permissible content removed].BEFORE YOU DIVE IN YOU MAY WANT TO GO TO THIS WEB SITE AND LISTEN TO SOME CURRENT OWNERS REVIEWS. MY SELF, I'AM WAITING FOR THE DIESEL IN THE 08 TUNDRA.I'AM HEREING FROM 07 TUNDRA OWNERS,THE GAS MILEAGE SUCKS!GO TO THIS WEB SITE YOU WILL GET THE TRUTH FROM 07 TUNDRA OWNERS.2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4: User Reviews.GOOD LUCK.THAT SALESMAN YOU TALKED TO KNOWS NOTHING.BELIEVE ME PRICES WILL DROP LIKE A LEAD BALL.
    Everyones needs are different. My job demands a 4x4 truck so truck vs car is not an option for me. As for ford vs Toyota. I have had good service from fords as well and I have looked hard at the fords as an alternative. 1) Ford currently seems to be falling behind with tech. as opposed to Toyota and chevy. 2) Ford is already offering discounts on most F-150's and may get deeper if Toyota begins to take market share. You could get in a ford cheaper than a new T. but at least on paper T's 5.7 looks like a much better bang for your buck than
    even F's 5.4.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    I attempted to price a double cab with the SHORT BOX at Toyotas website to no avail. I assume this combo is NOT available?
    2 bed sizes are available in teh double cab Tundra, a 6.5 foot bed and a 8 foor bed. depends on what you mean by short box
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I'll 2nd dreasdad. The only 'short bed' (under 6 foot) would be the bed on the upcoming CrewMax.

I'm wondering why the Tundra CrewMax is only available with a shortbed on the 145.7" wheelbase chassis (shared with the DC/std.bed) rather than also with a regular bed on the 164.6" wheelbase chassis (shared with the DC/longbed).
    Don't feed the troll.......
    CrewMax with a 6.5' bed is likely coming with the 3/4 ton and the diesel. Just a guess but there does seem to be enought interest around the web. I'd expect to see that config as the first modification from the factory.
    oh my wildbill, you are a hoot!

Instead of buying a Tundra that gets 15 mpg at $35K, you have decided to wait till 08 and spend $45K on the diesel Tundra that will get 17 mpg, even though the cost per gallon of diesel is .50cent more than gas. Not to mention 12 quarts of oil at oil changes and 50-dollar filters (oil change difference of about $40 a pop), or the heavy increase of maintenance on diesel vs. gas trucks.

YOU'RE BRILLIANT!
    IT IS WEB SITE.NOT WEB SIT.YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SPELL BOY.CHECK THIS SITE OUT FOOL! 2007 Toyota Tundra 4X4: User Reviews.THESE ARE REAL OWNERS OF 07 TUNDRA TRUCKS!
    Here, I did wildbill's dirty work for him. This is the website he is referring to:

http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_truck_tundra_4x4-reviews_user/;_ylt=Ahm7aeHAwuYhVr- TBK1bsMKtqoYV4

Looks to me like not only does wildbill not know what he is talking about, he also doesn't know how to post an acurate web address.

Anyway, MOST think their new Tundra is awesome, some aren't impressed with the fuel economy (not a suprise), and one dude is upset because he has a hard time "getting in the truck" (must be a small fellow).
    Ok, after looking over wildbill's site, here is my breakdown on 2007 Tundra 4x4 owner reviews:

7 out of 10 owners think the new tundra is the sweetest, most fantastic, awesome, bad boy, 3/4 ton in a 1/2 body, truck of the decade that they would suggest to anyone.
    I wish the people complaining about mpg on that site would provide numbers. My 4.6L ford averages 17. If the new 5.7 tundra gets 15 as a few have reported on this site, 2 mpg seems like a fair trade for the difference in horsepower and torque.
    Crew max with 6.5 foot bed would not fit in anybody's garage
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    IMHO, the talk from about "bad" gas mileage is really useless. I mean- people don't buy full size pick up trucks expecting Civic/Prius type gas mileage.

If you want great gas mileage your looking in the wrong place. :mad:
    "If you want great gas mileage your looking in the wrong place."

exactly!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    has a pickup been touted as the next 'game changing' product? maybe it will happen, maybe not.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    typically for me in the past with all trucks i have owned, what ever the epa estimated mileage for city driving on a vehicle is what i get on the highway doing 5 over speed limit with ac on, passing folks and what not (just giving you and example of the type of driver i am).

So, with that in mind, i expect to get 16 mpg in my tundra on the highway driving that way. i imagine if i slow it down a bit and dont get on it, i'll get better, say 17 or 18.

for me, that is fine. One can change out the air system to get another mile or two per gallon also. But, I knew going into this that i could expect about 16 mpg overall with this truck. It is what i expect.

If you can't handle that, look at other trucks; unfortunately, they won't get much better mileage either.

my Z-71 4x4 got 15 on the highway. my 4x2 colorado I5 got 18 on the highway, but could only pull 4,000 pounds and was like getting in and out of a maytag washing machine (pretty cramped for a big boy).
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

Personal attacks and insults are not allowed. Posts with such will be removed. If it continues, you risk your posting privileges.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Do any of you guys have the underseat storage box in your DC Tundra?

I am wondering about the size of the thing. Just for a couple of tools, or is the capacity enough to store jumper cables, first aid kit, tow strap, and 50-yards of rope?
    "Crew max with 6.5 foot bed would not fit in anybody's garage"

Would it be any longer than a DoubleCab with the 8' bed?
    Crew max with 6.5 foot bed would not fit in anybody's garage"

Would it be any longer than a DoubleCab with the 8' bed?

The DC standard (short) bed is the same length as the CrewMax 228.7" or 19' 1/4".

The DC long bed is 247.6" or 20' 7.5".

Shouldn't have any problems getting the CrewMax or DC standard bed in the standard modern American garage.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    I sure as heck would like to see that! A CrewMax with a standard bed! That would be great! Of course, parking the thing would be very interesting... long-wheel base truck would park like a limo...
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    Just left the dealership after ordering a brand new 2007 Double Cab Tundra. As soon as I hopped in the truck I loved it. The interior did not look or feel cheap as one poster said here before. The 4.7 is MORE than enough power. Cab is extremely quiet while driving on the road. I also got $2,500 off the sticker which I was not expecting. Overall, I was very impressed with this truck. Don't believe the bad mouthing you are reading here on this site. Take the Tundra for a test drive and you won't be disappointed.
    thanks for the report ackboater. does your tundra have the rear underseat storage box? If so, what approximate size is it?

have fun.
    Did you order a truck that you were looking for that was already in the production pipeline or are you having it built with the options you wanted? What was the delivery time frame?