Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• reliabilityreliability Member Posts: 8
    playswithmud,

I have a contact who works at Toyota HQ(USA), that states the next Tundra and variations of it will be powered by an engine no smaller than 6.0L-V8 and 400 HP/450 ft-lbs of torque. Unless there will be two engine options available, a 5.5L or a 6.0 L V8? Toyota has been eyeing the F-250/F-350 market for a while, so in order to compete at this end of the market they will also need a V10 option!
  • triumph75triumph75 Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have any feedback on real-life gas mileage with an '05 V6 Tundra? Also on the '05 V8 for that matter. I know the specs, wanted to hear actual experience....thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi triumph75 - this topic is just for talking about the next Tundra, due out in 2006. For questions about current models, please visit our regular Toyota Tundra discusssion. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    Only way I can read that statement is that there will be a 6l (or slightly bigger) V8 as the horsepower choice. But it wouldnt pay to only have one engine- especially one that promises to get moderate fuel economy at best. Toyota wont need a V10. Chrysler has already decided that they dont need one. Maybe a bigbore V8 at the most. When ford has an 8/10 take rate on the power stroke, they dont really need one either.
  • chinamannchinamann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 access cab Tundra and it works really well for my wife and me. My question is when is Toyota going to install towing mirrors on their Tundras?? We have those clip-on mirrors and they vibrate alot and makes towing a jittery event. Anybody with and clout with Toyota to give them this suggestion??
  • sandia01sandia01 Member Posts: 3
    Is Toyota going to put the locking fuel door back on the Tundra pickups, or make a locking gas cap for the Tundra's? The 2006 and/or 2007 looks like it has a locking fuel door.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Why Toyota eliminated the locking gas door from the Tundra starting in 2003 (my folks 02 has it). Aside from making the front end a total abomination (IMO), this is a very dissapointing thing Toyota has done to the Tundra since 03.

Hopefully things will change with the next generation Tundra.
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    Is gas theft really that big of a problem in other parts of the country? As for the 03 front-end, my only complaint is that you cant mount lights to the bumper. Expect styling to be like the new Taco, but BIGGER- probably even a steel bumper
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    From a 15% larger V8 engine! They may keep the 4.7 as a "small" V8 but the 5.5 should have 350HP. The 300HP in the F-150 is only adequate, with it's size and weight gain.

DrFill
  • j04trdtundraj04trdtundra Member Posts: 1
    i own a supercharged 04 tundra. the catch is you have to buy the supercharger seprate or when you buy the truck. im getting about 380-400 hp. in a 4x4, i leave lightnings all the time. i also tow a bobcat. with the traler it is a combined weight of about 8200lbs. the supercharger is a trd part that you can buy at your dealership for about 4800$. a company in florida called speed of sound has developed a kit also and are dynoing at the wheels around 550hp their kit is very relible and will run you about 5300$
    "Expect styling to be like the new Taco, but BIGGER- probably even a steel bumper"

That would be awesome! A truck like the Tundra needs a steel chrome bumper. The 00-02 are the pinnacle of Tundra design currently because it has a chrome bumper. The 03 and up bumpers look to ungainly and plasticky.

The new Tacoma is a fantastic looking truck, and to keep that family resembelence going into the Tundra is a good thing.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    Gas theft probably isn't as much a problem as someone pouring water in your tank. If you don't have anything inside your truck, do you leave it unlocked?

I don't so much need a lock on the gas door as to have a release on the inside of the vehicle like many cars. On my Accord, its a dual action lever for the trunk and fuel door that can be locked so that the valet key can't unlock it. On my wife's RAV4, the fuel release is on the inside. Not to mention this means the fuel door is flush with the vehicle and doesn't have flange sticking out for your finger.
    Worried about someone sabotaging your gas tank? Wow, must have a lot of nasty enemies!

One downside of the "no flange" fuel door, which I discovered the hard way, is if you're parked outside in an ice storm. This happened to me once - fuel door froze over, inside release couldn't break the ice seal, and I needed gas desperately. It's MUCH easier to get that puppy open if you've got a flange - you can chip away at it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I would prefer it to have a release on the inside, too. My 96 Avalon and my 00 RAV4 have them, as did my previous 91 Camry. But if those weren't options, I would like to have my fuel door be lockable, like it is on my folks 02 Tundra.

As to your question of locking the vehicle if there's nothing in it, yes I do. It's an old force of habit, I always lock my cars and leave the windows up (except for a crack during the summer, combined with the moonroof tilted to let hot air escape), even if I park in a secure garage. Always have, always will.
  • pablo_negretepablo_negrete Member Posts: 1
    Hey.. there

I still still holdong out for the 2006 model maybe a Diesel version.. See if your contact knows anything new with 2006 since they will be building them in San Antonio Texas..
  • one91mr2one91mr2 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I'm gonna bet that the new 4.7L w/ VVT-i will be the base engine for the 2006 Tundra. A new 5.4L-5.6L w/ VVT-i 300-340hp, 390-425lb-ft V8 (my speculations) will be an option. For the 2008 model year, it's rumored that in late 2007, Toyota will release a Tundra Heavy Duty model grade with a turbo diesel rated at 390hp and 700lb-ft. Wow.
  • paymanmdpaymanmd Member Posts: 2
    i was at the toyota dealership in orlando today...and my buddy is the service manager of the entire svc dept....he said that the new tundra will be out this year as a 06 model....more so..he said it's gonna be a monster...they have to redo their entire wing of the svc dept to adjust for the new tundra b/c of it's size......he said toyota is going to produce a v10 engine in addition they will produce a diesel engine.....they'll cont to prod the v8 and v6 engines...but w/ more hp of course.....he was really psyched about the new tundra....it's gonna be a monster is what he said....he should know since they are building new bays just to service these beasts....i cant wait til it's out.....oh yea....he said it's gonna compete w/ the f350 and priced in the upper 30's.....
    I doubt it's coming BEFORE the Texas plant is BUILT, but I think he maybe onto something with it's size and strength.

I'd like to see a 'Yota Dualie!

The want to sell 230k by the end of 2008.

Drfill
  • one91mr2one91mr2 Member Posts: 11
    You'd be surprised at how efficient Toyota operates. They don't have over $30 billion dollars in liquid cash for no reason.

The current plants will have to build the new Tundra. The Texas plant is to increase production in the U.S. by at least 100,000 Tundras per year. So if Toyota does roll out the new Tundra in the fall of this year, expect VERY limited supply. Otherwise, I'd expect it in the spring or fall of 2006.
    If it came out this fall!

Spring of '06

DrFill
  • maxminmaxmin Member Posts: 1
    Toyota should make four wheel steering an option on the new improved Tundra full back seat model. The wheelbase is just too long for an efficient turn. Also a built-in, hidden (i.e. Titan rear quarter panel box)small tool box for bungy cords, small tools, jumper cables, etc. A power outlet somewhere in the rear bed area would be good for contractors. Lastly, why not include a molded bed organizer/cover with side top access doors or retractable hard paint matched cover as well as tailgate access under the organizer for wide, long items (i.e. plywood) and maybe utilize the space between the bed wall and exterior skin for other space access doors? If they make it, I will get it.
  • muskles33muskles33 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone have any information on the interior plans of the 06 Tundra? It is about time they make a change. Will it be like the Tacoma and the rest of the Toyota line of SUVs and cars? It would be nice to update it and make it more stylish.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    Right now, it will be a 2007 out in the fall of 2006.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    So as I understand it, the model lineup will be like this

V6
    V8
    HD V10 Diesel?

I'm assuming that they'll have extended and crew cabs. Will there be a standard cab as well?
  • muskles33muskles33 Member Posts: 7
    C'mon Y'all !!! Start discussing the 2006 Tundra! Let's start turning these rumors into facts!!
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that the 2006 Tundra is the same as the 05. Therefore, this thread's name is a little misleading. However, there aren't too many facts about the NG Tundra out there, on account of people have no idea if they will use that truck concept or not! Toyota sure is secretive.
  • gunsmokegunsmoke Member Posts: 1
    driving a 99 f150 for the past 5 years and am ready to buy a new truck,i like the new 2005 f150 interior but nothing else.i came across a 2006 toyota tundra truck that looked like it was from another planet.does anyone have info that i could use or read about.
    2006 toyota tundra truck
    driving a 99 f150 for the past 5 years and am ready to buy a new truck,i like the new 2005 f150 interior but nothing else.i came across a 2006 toyota tundra truck that looked like it was from another planet.does anyone have info that i could use or read about.

.thank's
    link title
  • trucksusatrucksusa Member Posts: 1
    If they build it we will come.

Current Truck:2001 F350 7.3 PS Diesel

Had a 2000 Tundra and loved it. Would buy another one if it was HD Diesel.

Jeep just came out with a diesel in its Liberty. What a truck, I had to run out and buy one for the wife. I Give it 2 thumbs up..
  • mermanmerman Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 2005 double cab Tundra that is stickered at 18 mpg but my best average so far has been 15 mpg...of course, it could be because i cant keep my foot out of the floor due to the sound and response of the vvt-i V8...i swear it sounds like a vette on steroids...
    :-)
  • idahoronidahoron Member Posts: 18
    My best milage on my 05 DC is 19.57 I have to say my average is probably about 16 to 17. Ron
  • cl109508cl109508 Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2004 extra cab. Know what you mean by the exhaust and intake sound. Picked up extra mileage not much performance but even better sound with K&N filter (the one that goes into the stock air cleaner box cost same as factory filter but will last life of truck) and a Gibson stainless steel exhaust. Sounds real nice. Plus give her some time to break in. Enjoy your toy.
  • burningrubberburningrubber Member Posts: 4
    The company in Florida Speed Of Sound where is it located, and can you give me a link? Or naything that you know about it? Your kit that you have on now how much psi? So 0-60 is? Do you really pass lightnings, only if you get traction, I have a prob gettin traction off the start. You have any idea? Thanx alot.
  • slimsthcslimsthc Member Posts: 4
    Trust me as a toyota salesman there is no room to add any options our vehicles already have the least amount of mark-up in the class and tend to cost the most any changes to that price structure will blow us out of the price range of Big 3,Nissan & pathetic little honda (Barbie Truck). :D
  • doglover7doglover7 Member Posts: 12
    I noticed that the Toyota.com website is advertising the 2006 Tundra V8 as 271 hp and 313 ft lbs torque. That is a drop from 2005 which was 282 hp and 325 ft lbs torque. Does anyone know if this is just a misprint or did they do something to detune the engine? If so, what a step in the wrong direction. :mad:
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Member Posts: 181
    You've never heard of SAE, did you? It's like a new and more accurate way of measuring HP. But for the 2006 models, only a few companies started using this new measurement system, such as Toyota. And unfortunately for some cars, the new HP ratings make the engines seem less powerful (2005 Toyota Corolla : 130hp; 2006 model : 126hp. Or 2005 Toyota Tundra : 282hp; 2006 model : 271hp, etc... But in reality, there's no difference at all in acceleration times or whatsoever. It's just because HPs aren't measured anymore the same way than before. So there's way to be disappointed or anything! ;)
  • croaker2croaker2 Member Posts: 1
    I read that Toyota has been holding back the introduction of diesel vehicles to the U.S. and waiting for the cleaner diesel fuel standards to take effect.All diesel toyotas are selling well in Europe according to the article.Does anyone have any infomation on what cars and trucks will be offered and when?My opinion is that there comes a point when gas engines are too costly to operate relative to torque produced and only diesel makes sense.Pulling an 8000 lb. boat out of the water on a 10degree ramp works best with a heavy duty automatic transmission powered by a diesel with its max torq at lower speed.We are doing this with an old Chevy Suburban but it is sending a boy to do a man's work.A diesel Tundra would be much more civilized.Thanks for any infomation on what is coming down the pike.
    croaker2
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    The spy shot of the maxi cab looks like it could possibly have a sliding rear door like a van? Having owned the access cab I could appreciate the convenience of a sliding rear door.
  • toyoman2toyoman2 Member Posts: 2
    I asked the same question. I was looking at a 2005 XSP 4WD which listed 282hp and 325fpt. After I ordered my 06 I called and ask why the horsepower was listed at 271 and was given your answer. I can tell you this Truck rocks, I drove a 06 F150 5.4L FX4 and wasn't impressed at all. Does anyone know where I can get a chip for the Tundra?
  • toyoman2toyoman2 Member Posts: 2
    My 06 4Dr look the same as the 05.
  • in84uin84u Member Posts: 1
    What will 3hp matter anyway after the redesigned 07 comes out? ;)
    Nice plug though(forum rules?), too bad we all don't live near Phoenix.
  • tundra04tundra04 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to replace my existing exhaust system on my 04 tundra double cab v8. i prefer a dual split side exit. any suggestion.thanks....
    Hi tundra04,
    This discussion is about the 2006 Tundra. You might have some luck on our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board. There's a discussion about modifying exhaust systems, which might be helpful to you. You might also want to visit our Toyota Tundra discussion for current model years.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• justin21justin21 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the 2006 with the DVD Nav system installed? I was wondering how well it worked, I am excited to get my truck and try that system out as well.
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    There was no drop in horsepower. Same engine with new SAE net ratings. This rating effects only Japanese cars.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    as we know the next Tundra will be bigger than before. The other day I talked to my friend Tom who works for a Toyota dealership he said the next generation of Tundra will have either a 5.5 liter V8 or 6.0 V8. The heavy duty model he said will release in about 4 years. what Bull$#@!.
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    Ive heard the last couple of days that Toyota is going to show of their Tundra in the 2006 International Autoshow. I know for sure its going to have up to 5.2-5.6 liter engine.
    Horsepower will come from a V-TTI V8 engine. Ill bet you the 4.7 liter engine is going to be the basic engine.
    Anyway the Auto show is going to be from January 2, 2006-
    January 24, 2006. Im still looking for some Tickets to the show. Anyone know were I can get some cheap tickets? Reply back. Thanks!
  • fishnboundfishnbound Member Posts: 3
    Toyota will release a 5.7L V8 this year that will produce app. 390 HP . I work for the company in huntsville AL that will be building the engine.
  • kensafishinkensafishin Member Posts: 3
    Fishbound,you will definately be building me one.Do you know when they will be available? :)
  • kensafishinkensafishin Member Posts: 3
    Also, will it be larger in size than the tundra meaning the cab,bed and wheelbase?