Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    v6 chain,4.7 belt,5.7 chain
  • wileetundrawileetundra Member Posts: 24
    Yes, any audio device with a headphone or audio out jack can be plugged in to the AUX jack. You just need a patch cord which you can get at Radio Shack for less than $5. Most satellite radio receivers broadcast sound over the FM channels so you wouldn't even need the cable. I was thinking about adding the factory XM module to my NAV unit but the parts alone were about $400 and I heard that installation is a real pain so I will just use the external XM. This has the advantage in being cheaper, removable, and easily upgradeable when new XM units come out.

I plan to rig my NAV unit up so I can switch the rear camera circuit on at any time, and also so I can enable all the features even while the vehicle is moving. I assume there are two wires leading into the NAV unit which provide voltage when the vehicle is in reverse or in motion. If so then it should be as simple as finding out which wires are used, opening the dash to get behind the NAV unit, and connecting two jumpers to the harness which are wired to two small toggle switches which can then be mounted in the dash. If anyone has already figured this out or knows where I can get a wiring diagram for the NAV unit then please let me know.

I purchased the wiring manual from the dealer for my 2002 Tacoma and it cost me about $50 - what a rip off when you pay so much for the vehicle to start with. For the Tundra it might be worth it though since I also have other electronic projects planned including the installation of a remote PC server complete with DVD drive, MP3 and video streaming, wireless networking, wireless keyboard and mouse, and dedicated video monitor mounted on the ceiling. I already have most of the hardware and just need to find time to complete the install.

Another thing I found out today: my expensive Tundra with MSRP of $42K does not include the glass break sensor even though it came with the security system. This is like selling you a car but then charging extra for the glove box. Grrrr.... :mad:

As for the Tundras being made in the USA: my understanding was that they are primarily made in Japan but then shipped to the USA where they undergo final configuration and installation of some option packs. If this is not the case and the truck is 100% made in the USA then I am actually sorry that I bought one. The whole reason I got Toyota in the past was because the Japanese manufacturing was superior in quality, durability, and reliability to anything else that was made in the USA. Don't get me wrong, I am a very proud American and prefer to support America first, but the ridiculous labor unions and other costs of vehicle manufacture in the USA have forced all American manufacturers to deliver a sub-standard product and/or a much higher price. If Toyota has in fact moved all manufacturing to the USA then I don't expect to get 200K miles or anywhere near that on the Tundra - for American trucks it is usually more like 80K-90K before major issues come up.
  • ackboaterackboater Member Posts: 19
    I have a portable Sirius receiver mounted on the windshield of my Tundra. It's plugged into the auxiliary jack. It works fine.
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    but the ridiculous labor unions and other costs of vehicle manufacture in the USA have forced all American manufacturers to deliver a sub-standard product and/or a much higher price. If Toyota has in fact moved all manufacturing to the USA then I don't expect to get 200K miles or anywhere near that on the Tundra - for American trucks it is usually more like 80K-90K before major issues come up.

You are delusional...what a load of BS!!!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As for the Tundras being made in the USA: my understanding was that they are primarily made in Japan but then shipped to the USA where they undergo final configuration and installation of some option packs. If this is not the case and the truck is 100% made in the USA then I am actually sorry that I bought one. The whole reason I got Toyota in the past was because the Japanese manufacturing was superior in quality, durability, and reliability to anything else that was made in the USA. Don't get me wrong, I am a very proud American and prefer to support America first, but the ridiculous labor unions and other costs of vehicle manufacture in the USA have forced all American manufacturers to deliver a sub-standard product and/or a much higher price. If Toyota has in fact moved all manufacturing to the USA then I don't expect to get 200K miles or anywhere near that on the Tundra - for American trucks it is usually more like 80K-90K before major issues come up.

Sorry someone really mislead you on this. Ever since they came out in 1999 more than 75% of the parts and 100% of the assembly has been done here.

Almost nothing in the new Tundra comes from Japan. Initially the first few 5.7L's have since the Alabama engine plant is ramping up to add this engine to it's others.

Everything else is made here.

As to the quality of the American labor, at any modern manufacturer. your thinking is just wrong. With all the technology in place, which is the same at every plant, there's no reaason any modern vehicle shouldn't take you well over 100K mi if not 200k mi with proper care and minimal extra costs.

I've had two KY-made Camry's that went in excess of 175,000 miles and no extra costs at all and a Japanese-made MR2 Spyder that lost two electronic controlers @ 34000 mi which would have cost $4800 so I sold it.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the new tundras are all built in texas and indiana. and the engines are built in alabama! gack! how could toyota let lowly americans design/engineer and build their trucks? double gack!

just look at the camry/accord/civic...etc...then you'll realize that it doesn't make a bit of difference where the vehicle is MADE!
  • finallyat150finallyat150 Member Posts: 105
    lol, NAV, DVD, MP3, PC, XM,.........

how about a small fridge and a microwave while you're at it? Then you could google, pop corn, get a cold soda, and listen to the boneyard on your way to Radio Shack to pick up a new pocket protector. ;)
    I already have the refrigerated and heated cooler installed, works great. No need for a popcorn maker - I will just buy fresh popcorn on the road if needed. :)

The wireless network is primarily so I can transmit MP3 and video files to the truck from the home or office, but also so I can surf the web via broadband for free while traveling. Why pay $10 or more per day for a high-speed connection in a hotel, or suffer agonizingly slow dialup speeds when you can connect via your Tundra for free? ;)

And if it wasn't for the pocket protector I wouldn't have been able to afford this truck in the first place... LOL
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Thanks for the great review of your Tundra. Love trucks but won't buy one because I don't like climbing up and climbing down out of them. It's inconvenient as you get a little older and this trend to larger tires just makes little sense to me and increases the turning radius greatly.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC OFF)
    Switch (Operation description only)
    • Operates VSC, TRAC, and Auto-LSD
    Features
    When you first turn Tundra on:
    Summary: VSC ON/AUTO LSD OFF/TRAC ON

How to operate:
    • Step 1: Briefly pressing the VSC OFF
    switch (See Image A) in start-up mode will put the
    system in TRAC OFF mode, which will
    activate AUTO-LSD and its indicator
    light on the voltmeter (See Image B)
    Summary: VSC ON/AUTO LSD ON/TRAC OFF

• Step 2: Press and hold the switch for 3
    or more seconds with the vehicle
    stopped to disable VSC, TRAC, and
    Auto-LSD. This illuminates the VSC OFF
    light on the left gauge of the
    combination meter (See Image C)
    Summary: VSC OFF/AUTO LSD OFF/TRAC OFF

• Pressing the switch a third time
    reactivates all systems
    Summary: VSC ON/AUTO LSD OFF/TRAC ON

• All systems will automatically be
    reactivated if the Tundra is shut off and
    turned on again (default mode)

For information on how these systems operate, please turn to
    page 56 in the On-/Off-Road Class Section
    EXT/INT/UTILITY CLASS

Image A Image B Image C

VSC OFF switch (above) located on the dash below and to the right
    of the steering column.
    Thanks dreasdad for posting the summary of how the VSC OFF switch works. The following is some info from the online Toyota help glossary which you can view here.

VSC:
    "The VSC system electronically monitors speed and direction, and compares the vehicle's direction of travel with the driver's steering, acceleration and braking inputs. VSC can help compensate for loss of traction which can cause skids. It utilizes some components shared with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and an electronically controlled engine throttle as well as a dedicated computer and sensors providing information to the VSC system. These include a yaw rate sensor, a G-sensor and a steering angle sensor. When VSC is active, a warning beep tone and instrument panel warning light indicate that the system is functioning. In many cases, VSC reacts well before the driver is aware of a loss of traction. As with other safety technologies, such as anti-lock brakes, it is important to drive safely, since Vehicle Stability Control cannot defy the laws of physics, nor can it provide more traction than exists in a given condition."

TRAC:
    "The sophisticated Toyota system is an all-speed design that utilizes both brake and engine throttle control. TRAC helps to avoid slippage of the driving wheels by slightly applying the brake on a slipping drive wheel and reducing the throttle to maintain traction according to the road surface conditions. The system eliminates the need for a subtle accelerator pedal operation and helps ensure vehicle control when starting or accelerating on slippery roads."

AUTO LSD:
    "Automatic Limited-Slip Differential (electronic) system helps deliver torque to the wheel with traction."

The above definitions seem to overlap with each other and it is not clear when I would normally use each of the three modes controlled by the VSC OFF switch. Here is my best guess:

Mode 1: VSC ON/AUTO LSD OFF/TRAC ON
    Use this default mode for normal driving. If you begin to slide, skid, fishtail, or slip then the VSC will kick in and try to correct the problem for you. The VSC dash light will come on and the warning tone will sound when VSC is in action.

Mode 2: VSC ON/AUTO LSD ON/TRAC OFF
    Press the VSC OFF button once briefly to use this mode when a wheel is stuck in the mud, sand, or snow and you are trying to dig out. This transfers power to the wheels which have a grip to get you unstuck faster without digging further into the hole.

Mode 3: VSC OFF/AUTO LSD OFF/TRAC OFF
    Press and hold the VSC OFF button for 3 seconds to disable all functions. Not sure when this would be helpful, perhaps for off-road driving?

Does this all seem correct?
  • joe140joe140 Member Posts: 22
    If you are like alot of us waiting for trucks, I have a question. At what point does the 2007 become a year old truck and not delivered yet? At what point do we cancel the order to wait the extra month or two to get an 08 badge and save a years depreciation? Come on TOYOTA, you can only stiff us so far with a year old truck.
    I don't really see what all the fuss is about ordering a Tundra. All 5 of my closest dealers have some in stock and I was lucky enough to find the exact configuration I wanted in stock even though it was 1 of only 4 like that in the SET region. If you are waiting for a special combination of features then you will probably have to wait for 2-3 months based on what the local dealers told me when I had inquired. If your local dealers don't have the truck in stock then find a remote dealer that does and see if your local dealer will go get it for you. You can also just drive or fly to the in-stock dealer to pickup the truck yourself. Airfare is cheap when booked in advance, especially if you make the return trip span a weekend and come back in off-peak time since you won't use it anyway, and the drive back home is sure to be enjoyable in your new truck. I have done a lot of price and service comparisons and I drive a very hard bargain but BeamanToyota.com in Nashville is by far the best dealer I have ever found. I purchased all 3 of my last vehicles from them even though they are not close to my home. It is worth the trip.
    Or.....You could order a GMC exactly how you want it and receive it in 4-6 weeks, like I did. For less money to boot.
    :)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Or.....You could order a GMC exactly how you want it and receive it in 4-6 weeks, like I did. For less money to boot."

Damn, I had NO idea someone could order a new Tundra from GMC.....this IS the Tundra Owner thread, isn't it?
    Yeah, but I thought this pot needed stirring up a little bit too.
    :D

Sorry, I'll go back and play on my own playground now.
    wileetundra,
    the fuss is that only certain tundra's are out there, yeah, if you want a 4x4 limited, or SR5, they are there. But, I have yet to see even 1 4x4 TRD SR5. That is what i have on order. I have visited one Stillwater dealership (where i ordered from) and 2 dealers in OKC and 3 in Tulsa. NO TRD 4X4 SR5's, None!

yes, every dealer initially got at least 4 tundra's. but for that kind of cash, i wanted one built to suit. i wasn't going to settle for "what's sitting on the lot".
    i feel your pain bro. I am in the same boat as you. I am going to hang in there though. It will be worth it when my truck gets here. I will be driving "exactly" what I ordered. It will happen.

But wilee has given me an idea. I will be patient, but only to a point. I ordered a truck through my local dealership, but at some point soon, i will begin looking "out there" for my truck configuration. I will inform my dealership that I am doing this, and that if I find my truck, I will go get it. then the ball is in their court to get me one, or I will expand my search.

after all, i have not put anything down on my order. didn't need to since i have bought a camry from them last year.
    LOL - yeah, about what I'd figured....there's only been 20-something posts over in the Silverado vs. Tundra thread today, you were probably getting bored.... ;)
    If you do start looking, go out past Gulf states, if it isn't coming to your dealer then no dealer in the gulf states has it coming, go up to a Kansas dealer or Colorado dealer.
    "If you do start looking, go out past Gulf states, if it isn't coming to your dealer then no dealer in the gulf states has it coming, go up to a Kansas dealer or Colorado dealer."

Our family (even though we're in central Texas) has had good luck going to Las Cruces, New Mexico to get vehicles out of the Gulf States region (plus, their selection of 4wd vehicles tended to be better than what we saw locally).
    exactly dreasdad, thanks for confirming what i thought i already understood. yes, if my dealer is having trouble getting it, then all dealers in the gulf state region are out.

anyway, i talked to him today and he told me typically "special" deliverys take between 30 and 90 days, and that i could expect closer to the 90 day mark. Another factor is that the san antonio plant has not been tested. we don't know how productive they are.
    hey joe, let's also remember that toyota doesn't put their trucks out like the big 3. somebody correct me if i'm wrong (like you wouldn't if I didn't ask you too, lol), but i know chevy for sure will have 08 trucks on the lot this august. not sure how ford and dodge do it, but i think it is the same as chevy/gmc.

toyota on the other hand will start pumping 08 tundras on the lot next january. just the way they operate.

go ahead, jump in there!
    Yeah, my buddy Belias gave up, TKO in the 8th round. Now Kdhspyder is quiet too. I guess they are like their beloved Toyota's, they ran out of steam and couldn't go the distance.
    The Toyota delivery/planning is very very good. It's why there is normally very little inventory overhand from MY to MY. They know for example that the 2008's will be here in Sept most likely so backing up from there... 2 weeks for distribution...2-4 weeks for production...4 weeks for ordering...that puts the last 2007's being ordered around 5/1-15 for arrival in August.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    becomes you.

DrFill
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I agree. He's got nothing better to do. Belias walked away from a discussion because there really wasn't anything more to discuss and then this guy comes in and trashes him for nothing.
    TROLL....
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I would buy a Toyota over a GM product any day of the week and twice on Sunday and there is nothing you or anybody else can say to show that GM is a superior product- PERIOD. Next...
    OK, so some of you are having trouble finding Tundras in stock. No 4x4 with SR5 you say. I accept this. It is just different where I shop then, guess I am lucky. BeamanToyota.com in Nashville had at least 6 Tundras on the lot when I first went down there, including several 4x4 SR5 which I know for sure because I test drove one of them before deciding on the limited package.

Once you sit in a limited there is no going back. Keep in mind I originally walked in there 100% sure to buy the Tacoma PreRunner or SR5, then when I sat in the Tundras there was no going back to Tacoma either. This new Tundra is like crack on a street corner in the ghetto: very addicting, gone within minutes, and if you are not careful it can get you in a lot of trouble, or even kill you... :-)

As I called around to 5 other dealers in TN I found most did have at least several Tundras on the lot as well. When I told them that Beaman had the exact truck I wanted in-stock but would not deal with me on price, several of them quoted me the same or a slightly better price and were hoping to get the truck on trade from Beaman, which was honestly not going to happen because Beaman wouldn't give it up, but when they called Beaman to ask about it this helped to motivate Beaman to drop the price some more.

When you walk in to the showroom and flash a lot of cash for the down payment, a pre-approved certified check from your credit union, and you offer to finance through Toyota or the dealership just to get them some extra points, this will get their attention in a hurry. If you finance through Toyota or the dealer you can just pay it off with your credit union check anyway and take advantage of the savings they gave you for initially financing with them. I also called several dealers in GA and KY even though I didn't really plan to shop there. They were close enough that Beaman knew I would make the trip to save $300 or more so this puts pressure on them for the price. On my RAV4 I found the exact vehicle I wanted in KY. Beaman beat the KY dealers price and then went to get it for me, plus they gave us $100 cash to go eat dinner and have drinks while we waited for it to arrive. I have tried lots of dealers for new and used cars but nothing beats Beaman if you know how to shop.

Their service is also first rate. Unfortunately I know them very well since my 2002 Tacoma was hit 4 times! in as many years. 3 were not my fault, 1 was no fault, and 1 was an illegal immigrant with no insurance when it was less than a week old off the dealer lot brand new. Talk about hopping mad.... :mad:
    my 2002 Tacoma was hit 4 times! in as many years. 3 were not my fault, 1 was no fault, and 1 was an illegal immigrant with no insurance when it was less than a week old off the dealer lot brand new. Talk about hopping mad....

Toyota math???
    I would buy a Toyota over a GM product any day of the week and twice on Sunday and there is nothing you or anybody else can say to show that GM is a superior product- PERIOD. Next...

Well, you'll probably need to buy one that often....

How about.....GM has a superior product??? There, that was easy.
  • bugchuckerbugchucker Member Posts: 118
    I was just reading a top 10 list of America's Most Admired Companies. Toyota was 3rd after GE and Starbucks. No GM listed. One would believe that GM would be admired if they had a superior product as you claim.
    Oooohh Boy!!! Top 10 Most admired list...whoooweeee!!! Congrats on that one!!! I'm gonna trade my GM in on a Toyota right away!!!

You're really reaching now. Comparing crapola like that....

Starbucks and GE? Do they make trucks now too? May as well, they have just as much experience in this segment as Toyota does.
    my 2002 Tacoma was hit 4 times! in as many years. 3 were not my fault, 1 was no fault, and 1 was an illegal immigrant with no insurance when it was less than a week old off the dealer lot brand new. Talk about hopping mad....

Toyota math???

Very funny wiseguy. Numbers were not mutually exclusive.

GM, Chevy, Ford guys can click here for the definition. ;)

Your fault or not, sounds like you need to take a Defensive Driving course.

"Silly rabbit, Toy trucks are for kids"
  • grd398sgrd398s Member Posts: 15
    Anybody know a firm date when the CrewMax will start arriving at dealers? I've heard March...it's March...and I'm ready!

I've got to test drive the CrewMax and see how much room there is in the back seat after two car seats and a 100 lb dog. My wife wants to wait for the new '08 Sequoia...I'm opting for the Tundra CrewMax. My wife is 5'1" - she's worried that a.) there won't be enough space in the back seat, and b.) she won't be able to get the kids up into the car seats. Anybody have experience with this on the double cab? I assume the cab height is identical.
    wilee, i have seen a few 4x4 SR5's in stock, but that is not what i am wanting. I have not seen anything even close to what I ordered yet, a 4x4 TRD SR5 with leather and in blue streak. not asking for much, just what i want.

What is wierd is that I am ready to buy that sucker right now today, and nobody can seem to find one; but, according to the build software and brochure, i can get one exactly the way i ordered it. kind of funny.

time takes time, i guess.
    don't know, but surely we will see 4x4 trd's before we start seeing crewmax's????????????????????????????????????

HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE EVEN SEEN A DC 4X4 TRD YET? EVEN ONE?
    Hey, just got a call from my dealer. My truck in showing up in the computer as "in build status" and "sold". should be in my mits in about 4-weeks. It was worth waiting for since this is what I will drive off with on that glorious day:

DC SR5 TRD leather 4x4, power bucket seats w/ console shift, xtra front skid plate, running boards, rear underseat storage, heated tow mirrors, cold kit, night mirror, shield package, faulty fuel gauge, dealer installed toyota backup camera, in blue streak.
    $37, 200 out the door.

Spyder, you're the man! Your info has been on target from git go.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE ALONG THE WAY TOO WILDBILL.
  • jaymack1979jaymack1979 Member Posts: 10
    "HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE EVEN SEEN A DC 4X4 TRD YET? EVEN ONE?"

sure, I bought one in Clarksville, TN 11 FEB and noticed two today on the lot in Richmond, KY.
    that's good jaymack. I am in the gulf state region and haven't seen a single DC TRD 4x4 as of yet. I have seen one single cab TRD 4x4, but that's it.

I guess they are coming though.
    Then why buy a 2007 and take the hit on a years depreciation if you can't take delivery till late in the year? They have missed the boat by making what they thought we would buy and not making what we want when we want it. I too have seen many dealers with trucks on the lot. So explain why so many are talking about having to wait 90 days to get theirs? Wrong packages??
    I did, paid money down and all. But if they can't deliver by the end of April, deals off. Again, depreciation goes on despite TOYOTA's deliverly problems. Now if they discount it as a year old truck, I will stick with them.
  • cbuellgocbuellgo Member Posts: 12
    I Have seen a DC 4x4 TRD and thought that's the one; but it had the little motor. On the West Coast.....
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    TRD models are common on the lots here in MA.
    So why is it that you are posting on a this thread, do you own a New Tundra, can you answer any questions as to what controls what on a new Tundra?
    Or do you just post on here for your ego?
    Sure, why not? Ask away.

BTW, do you own a new Tundra? Or any truck for that matter?
    Yes I do own a Tundra, not a new one but a 2001.
    If you would click on my profile you will see I am with Toyota in sales so I post on here to answer peoples questions about their new trucks, what options they can and can't get and to explain about the new features

so why again are you posting on this thred other than to be a TROLL
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I saw a light blue Tundra Crew Max today, looks very nice, only thing is that the bed is useless, it's too short. I've heard rumors that next year a long bed will be avalible.

My Tundra right now is just the best you can get, averaging 18 mpg, nearly 4k miles, and it rides like a truck.

Best Gas Mileage: 21.1 MPG
    Worst: 9.5 MPG
    Average: 18.0
    Current Mileage: 3899 miles

No problems at all. The 6 speed tranny is superb, quick and easy acceleration. BTW My Tundra has a TRD off road package, and just go through anything off road! ;)
    You're Welcome. You will love yours when it arrives. Take care.