Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta vs. Honda Accord

1235»

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    do you guys think I am crazy getting out of my G6.... I never wanted a G6 anyway though... If you were able to get out of a G6 lease with only 6mth into it, would you do it?

Crazy, I don't know...mayber foolish...probably. If you never wanted a G6, why do you have one? I'd never lease, but no I'd never buy a new car and trade it after 6 months.

Or do I seem greedy?

No, just fickle.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, I won't bore you with my long story of why I am in a G6. I never thought I would be driving one. Lets just say I did something nice for someone... I am very fickle. I am actually liking the G6, but I really want an Accord I think, because I gave up my 06 Accord so I could do this nice thing. So coming from an Accord to a G6 was a hit. My mom already has a VW Jetta, so if I want to drive a VW here and there, I can. So I could get an Accord, and our family have the best of both worlds.

So at the same time, I feel I deserve to get what I want after what I did and went through to do this nice thing, and at the other, I feel greedy, selfish, but I should no way feel that way.
    I see, so you are crazy but for a different reason than I had thought ;):) .

I don't know much about leasing or getting out of them, but if you do change cars I think you should get whatever you want, can afford, and are willing to pay for...so that you don't feel like you want to do this again a year from now or something.

The new Accord is quite a bit different from the 2006 that you gave up, isn't it?...it is a lot bigger for one thing.
    You are completely right when it comes to getting what I want, I should do it from the start, so that way I am happy. Perhaps keeping a car for its whole lease.

The new Accord is different, but I found it handles really well, I like the size of it.
    Really, I would totally buy a Civic SI coupe in the newer blue type color they have. That is one sharp looking car! Someone would have to teach me to drive a manual though. I know its not too hard to learn!

Only if they offered the SI in the automatic and then placed paddleshifters on the steering wheel. beautiful car! See I take pride in cars, a Honda, I can really take pride in it. But still considering a VW if it looks better lease wise. Sign and drive event.
    Perhaps keeping a car for its whole lease.

Who knows, if you really like it maybe you'll even keep the same car for 10-12 years. Just think of all the money you could spend on other things, if you were to do that.
    Yeah, I know, Its crazy how much money we all really spend on a car. That is money that I would love to use for something else. But, with that said, it is nice not having to spend $$ on repairs, and having something new every so often. You know time goes by so fast, that years can fly by like yesterday. I don't have to have a brand new car, but I do. I could do fine with a used, but its easier getting a new.

Who knows, your right, I could keep it that long. Having it paid off. Put the money into a interest account.

Another guy I know was at VW/Audi/Mercedes dealership, he was in his I think 03-05 honda convertible, I was like, "you enjoying your car on the last few warm days?" He replied," yes, I am trading it in though" I am like cool, which car? He goes" I'm getting a Benz". LOL I laughed to myself inside, but I didn't reply back. He was looking at a 350 model. He can afford that car more so, since he is trading that Honda, which holds quite a bit of good equity. But, getting a Benz. I am not a big fan of them, I think most of them are plain ugly, and scream out too loud of status. I look at someone driving the car as if they had paid way toooo much for a car. I would so be looking at other cars. Their nice, but really worth the status factor?? not sure. Even then, their still ugly, with those bugged out head lights. That the best you can do? Am I really supposed to think you are all successful, or just think, Man, your in serious debt. Both enter my mind at the same time.

Anyway, we all have our own priorities, a certain look. Not bashing anyone who drives a Benz. You may be the most amazing person, but just want a nice car. So kudos to you. Go for it. For me, the Benz is lower on the list.
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Of course, the Accord is bigger (should be compared to the Passat) and slightly more reliable.
    Bigger doesn't mean better, not everybody needs and like modern behemoths like new Accord. I had accord and acura tl before, never again. Both cars had small annoying issues. Now I'm driving unreliable German car and have 0 issues.
  • laur13laur13 Member Posts: 5
    In August 2008, I handed down my 2004 Jetta to my son. I loved that car. I got a great deal on a brand new 2008 Honda Accord EX. One year later, I am thinking of trading it in for another Jetta. The turning radius is not as tight as the Jetta, and I am short and have a very hard time with judging distance on this car. A friend parked it for me the other day and said the same thing. Cabin noise is a bit loud also. It's a decent car but I miss my Jetta. In the 4 years and 100,000 miles I drove it, I had very few issues (minor recalls that were quickly fixed at the dealer). The only pain is some of the maintenance that only VW can do. And, VW is offering their 0% financing which I took advantage of back in 04.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Dump the Accord and get back into a Jetta.
  • fishpotatofishpotato Member Posts: 1
    I love the way the Jetta looks and drives, but more than anything I want a car that is reliable. I am getting the feeling that this means I should go for the Civic, can you share your opinions? Thanks.
    Our family has leased 2 Jetta's, and we have an 08 Jetta SE now. We have not had any real issues with them. Just normal routines. The newer models have a great maintenance package now too. I have leased an 06 Accord, I had no issues with it either. I have had way more issues with my 08 G6 I have now than we ever had with a new car combined!

I think you will be fine with either a Civic or Jetta. Pick the one you feel is for you. I am just not sure what makes you feel that VW is not reliable. Unless your new to VW, I can see how you feel. I would have thought my 08 GM car would be easy, but it hasn't been. It was my first GM ever!, and it will be the last! Want a 50% lemon? I would do anything to drive a VW or Honda!!

Go for what you want!
  • morescratchmorescratch Member Posts: 2
    Wrong. The maximum torque RPM is all that matters. WIth the Accord, and indeed all Japanese cars the max torque is at a high RPM where you burn the most gas and have the least probability of overtaking in an emergency. This is why all German cars have their maximum torque at a low RPM. My 2006 Jetta routinely blows away V6 Accords in the big mountain passes. Yes the Accord passes me at the start of the pass because Japanese car drivers are used to having to wind their cars up (to a high RPM) but without fail I always pass them before the top (I use Cruise Control). On the west coast we play a game called "How many happy Honda's are we going to pass on the pass". Last weekend we passed 3 V6 Accords. I think the Hondas are excellent cars but comparing Japanese cars to German cars is like comparing Mopeds to Ducatis. This is what most people who shop on spec sheets alone don't understand. If you are looking for something to get you from point A to point B then buy Japanese or Korean, but you will sacrifice much and be left wanting for something with soul.
  • morescratchmorescratch Member Posts: 2
    Hi fishpotato, In my opinion you are comparing two different classes of car. For some reason North Americans are comparing Jetta's to Civic's. This is completely ridiculous and in some way VW supports this. The VW Polo which we are getting in North America soon is the direct competitor to the Civic everywhere else in the world. The Jetta is more Comparable to the Accord than the Civic but even that comparison is not fair. The Jetta is in it's own class. You have to drive them both. When I say drive I mean drive them, take them both on the highway and assess them for their ability to provide you with a "driving experience". German cars are engineered much differently than Japanese cars and their design philosophies are very, very different. The Civic will likely feel peppier in the City but once you take it on the highway at high speed look out. Don't forget that the Civic (either side of 1992) used to be the most dangerous car on the road. In the same model years the Golf was the safest in that "class". You will be happy with both cars but in my opinion if you buy the Jetta you will never buy anything but a VW again for the rest of your life. That's what happened to me.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    this forum certainly died.
    lol. Yep. Well lets wake it up!
  • leman2009leman2009 Member Posts: 1
    DO NOT buy a VW 2011. I've bought 2011 VW jetta SEL. since the day I bought it it went to shop for 8 times already. It is poorly built. My previous Jetta which was value edition was much better. as a loyal VW costumer they should have treated me better, but they didn't. I've taking my car to 7 dealership to get rid of it. the car has depriciate the value which is understandable. I'm about to get an accord coupe EX-L. VW had many problems, engine jumps by itself when the car is on idle, interior A/C knobs was already broken. speaker burst " I don't listen loud music" right front door had this crazy rattling sound since the day I've bought it. They put some plastic stuff in it and it still rattles, front instrument panel which holds the odometer was hanging down. they ordered the plastic piece twice and finally put it in better. I hear a chain sound coming from the engine some times. when I'm on a rough road, everything rattles. cheap letharette seats are incredibly uncomfortable. everything is made of cheap plastic. made in MEXICO.. chepest car ever. I am getting rid of it. I have been with VW since 2004. I had audi then jetta and this jetta. I will not go even close to the VW dealership again. They want to compete with japanese cars buy reducing the price buy reducing the quality. some of them come with drum brakes. I HATE VW JETTA 2011........ don't waste your money.. you can never go wrong with HONDA.... I had one before and it was awesome. I should hav estick with it. :mad: :confuse: :( :lemon:
    Wow! I am so sorry you have had issues with your car. This doesn't sound like typical issues, so perhaps your car was built wrong or off. I am a VW and a Honda fan too!

I have had my 2011 Jetta SE for 8 months now and I love it. Though, my horn stopped working 2 times, but other than that no issues as of it. The engine is strong, the body is solid. Yes, some areas of plastic could be better, but the tan interior makes up for it. For the features such as the touch screen, bluetooth, I feel like I driving an upscale car for the money.

I hope that I don't have anymore issues. I wish you luck. Sorry its been a bad time for you.
  • lovethatjettalovethatjetta Member Posts: 1
    After the rain from Hurricane Irene I had about 1/2 inch of water behind the driver's seat. The car started and drove fine for a couple of hours. This morning it started but stalled out after about 2 seconds, and continues to do so. The display also is unreadable. I have seen and heard of problems with the Passat with water, but not the Jetta. Has anyone had this problem?
This discussion has been closed.