Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X3 vs Subaru Forester XT vs Infiniti FX 35 vs Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Well, wether it's necessary or not (idling before and after take off) it sounds like it can't be a BAD idea? Or perhaps some good synthetic oil to avoid the heat breakdown that sounds like what we're trying to avoid in the first place? I'm going to switch to synthetic as soon as I run out of dino 5w30... (good lord, how many cases did I buy?!?!) - elissa
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    sounds like it can't be a BAD idea?

Other than wasting gas and creating additional pollution? <Just kidding> No I'm sure it can't hurt, just like changing the oil more frequently than the manufacturer's recommend interval. If doing things like that make you feel better then by all means go ahead. After all, they're pretty cheap insurance for longer engine life.

-Frank
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think there is an oil pump that circulates the oil that lubricates the bearings after one turns the engine off

Actually there is.

But it's still a good idea to be gentle until she's warm, true for any car.

In fact BMW pioneered a dynamic redline, where it starts out with a fuel cut off around 4000 rpm and gradually increases to the real redline after it's fully warmed up.

For cool down, generally you're idling right before you park. The last couple of blocks are in your neighborhood and you're likely going slowly. I wouldn't shut any car down after a hot lap. Cool down laps are, again, industry standard.

-juice
  • Options
    melbournemelbourne Member Posts: 8
    Most Toyotas restrict engine revs on warm up, certainly the autos, which change gears early until the engine reaches operating temperatures.

However as to warm up, in Australia Toyota and BMW (our two vehicles) advise their owners to follow the hand book warm up instructions, which is to start and drive away, and drive gently until warm. This warms up everything, most especially the gearbox. Idling up to temperature does not evenly warm up the engine either. But in the case of the turbo, the WRX hot up guy must have seen quite a few knocked around engines I guess, and believes that idle warm up is very good for prolonging the turbo bearings. If Subaru could open the waste gate until the engine was warm, this might do the same thing. It would be kind of fun too ...

Good to hear that Subaru keeps pumping the oil after one cools off ... is the oil for the turbo bearings the same oil as the engine uses, or is it a separate loop?

Concerning engine life and oil changes, with our toyota SUV I rang Toyota who said ring Mobil (I was investigating using Mobil 1). Mobil said that Mobile 1 would be perfect in my SUV at 6000 miles, and that it would be just about perfect at 12000 miles. They said if I used Mobil 1, a top synthetic oil available for some years in Aus., that it would be stupid to use it and change it at only 6000 miles. But my engine was an less stressed Toyota V6, not a turbo ...

I think if my wife goes Forester XT, I'll ask her to be very gentle before and after! And to use Mobil 1 I guess. She has a 40 minute traffic drive to and from her work, which is ideal miles as the engine gets warm and is not turned off for 40 odd minutes. But I'll plead with her not to gun it down our street EVER, as she has done that with the BMW when its not warm and she's late ... I ahte to think about what stress an Forester engine would be taking especially if she had a more open exhaust ...
  • Options
    Same, I believe.

Some say synthetic oil will outlive your oil filter. That's what limits the interval.

Long drives are best for your exhaust system, bet it never rusts.

-juice
  • Options
    On my older Subarus I can recall hearing the fan running several minutes after shutting the engine off. Now I have the turbo and engine/turbo heat seems to be more of a concern, yet there's no fan running when I shut it off. Does anyone elses' XT run the fan after landing?
    elissa
  • Options
    subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    The bolt-on exhaust upgrade adds maybe 2% BHP and eliminates the possibility of mounting a towing hitch. If you're going to be offroading, I cant imagine any benefit from the upgrade....the ground clearance is also reduced by approx 1/2''.
        My house is at the top of a one mile 10-12% grade..I let the engine run just a few seconds before shutting it down...I try to keep an eye on the engine temp gauge. I have found that propping the "bonnet" open after long periods of turbo drving helps the engine cool quicker.
        The 4 Runner, while immense by comparison and much more money, come with a system to control descent speed. I just use 1st gear.

mark
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Juice and I just got back from a BMW "Ultimate Driving Event" that featured the X3. It was held at FedEx Field's parking lot, in the DC suburbs. The autocross course was 1 mile in length, and pretty challenging with off-camber corners, and also corners with decreasing radius. Top speeds approaching 60 mph were possible. We had a racing instructor guiding us through the course, and we got about 6 laps/miles of autocrossing in.

Bottom line: The SUV X3 3.0 automatic really does handle very well, especially at the limit&#151;and we did reach the limit all over the course. :) The instructors were saying, under these autocross conditions, the standard tires last about 50 miles!

Lots of fun! I'm sure juice will have many comments to pass on as well.

Bob
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Bob: I did that event when it came to Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago. It was a fairly challenging course; on one occasion I embarrassed myself with an early apex but impressed the driver and passengers by executing a decent Scandanavian flick to recover. :-P

I'd bet FedEx Field's tarmac is in much better shape than Philadelphia Park's.

Ed
  • Options
    You beat me to the punch!

But yeah, had a great time today, and I'll share my comments and compare it to the F-XT in each of the following categories, more or less like Ed did a while back.

Outside: I arrived early so I had more than an hour to walk around and in the X3.

They had spec sheets with prices and I have to admit I cringed a little when I saw that metallic paint and cruise control are $475 options, each. That would be OK if the paint didn't have swirl marks all over it.

Nice beefy brakes, vented discs even in the rear. Unpainted black cladding on the lower portions, plus both bumpers, should be low maintenance. Interestingly Subaru does this only on its cheapest model, the X.

The D-pillar really eats up some visibility, Bob pointed out that the window is smaller than it looks, even. Forester has much, much better visiblity in all directions. A-pillar is thinner and the windows are bigger and more square.

Inside: nice headliner, same as Forester actually. Plastics are a mixed bag, many sound hollow and feel hard. The lid on the storage bin at the top of the dash felt particularly cheap, and the aluminum trim looked real but already showed some wear.

The rubber liners for the bin and cup holders should be removable, but aren't. Odd placing of the cup holders, too, and the passenger one is flimsy. The rear seats get none at all. Stubborn Germans, this is supposed to be a family car.

Models we drove had the wood trim, but it looks so fake I wouldn't believe you if you told me it's real. Looks like runny paint, brown and tan mixed.

Visibility was only so-so, big blind spot on the driver's side for me. The cargo area is not very long, but it is tall. Be ready to stack things, bring boxy items. To the right there's a little cooler that looks like it could hold a can or two, but the Forester has one in the spare tire that can hold a full 12 pack.

Seats are nice, but honestly I would like a little more side bolstering, which the Forester offers. Rear seats BMW wins, hands down. Much more room. But the front seats in the Forester actually offer more knee space.

Acceleration with the 3.0l was comparatively leisurely off the line, this is not a quick SUV by any stretch of the imagination. Drive an F-XT with a manual and this seems downright slow. Even the XT with the automatic is substantially quicker, though power delivery is a little less linear with the Subie's automatic.

Running acceleration, however, was more than adequate. You feel the mass more off the line, but once it gets going you never feel lacking. I'm not sure I could recommend the 2.5l, which we didn't get to drive. I can't imagine that would be much fun, though.

Braking seemed great, no fade was noticed even after repeated hot laps. We got 3 laps at a time, and 4 of us did that, so 12 laps with only quick driver changes and it took the punishment nicely. Aces for the brakes. I can't compare to the Forester XT because I haven't had the chance to test those in the same condition. The F-XT is a lot lighter so who knows.

Handling with the X3 was good, but you do get a lot of body roll. Dive and squat control is definitely superior to the Subaru, but the X3 feels a lot heavier and not nearly as tossable. They say you can teach and Elephant how to dance, but you're still dancing with an Elephant. The X3 needs to go on Atkins. Call in Colin Chapman, I think subtracting 500 lbs would make this a hoot.

I had high expectations for the steering, but left a little disappointed with the slow ratio and delayed turn-in. I did not like the 4 spoke wheel, but a 3 spoke wheel comes with the Sport Package.

Speaking of which, that might have lessened the body roll a bit, but I can imagine the ride would end up quite stiff. We went over a split in the pavement and you heard each tire pounding over it. The Sport package upgrades the 17" rims to 18"s, plus stiffer springs, and I doubt it would be happy on my commutes to Washington, DC. So the ride, even with the non-sport models, was a little stiff for family duties.

Kudos to BMW for hosting such an excellent event. We got classroom instruction, sort of a refresher course, then a demo with a pro driver and 3 laps with that same driver coaching us.

After some more instruction, we got another 3 laps. When we wrapped up, they gave us a quick review on ABS use, and then handed out a couple of awards for Most Improved and Best Performance, a neat little traffic cone.

I was more than a little surprised when they handed the Best Performance award to me, along with a Sirius logo'd hat. Hey, I'll take it! :-)

My review sounds critical but I actually really liked the X3. Perhaps I put it to a higher standard because I was aware of the much higher price. The BMW name, service, resale, are all appealing, but have no doubt, the Forester XT easily wins the bang-for-the-buck contest.

-juice
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    nice review guys. hard for me to comm that much info in my short posts.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....but IIRC, the dollar differenctial flitting in and out of the equation is a (for YT) real factor....sure it's a nice car, but.......ez
  • Options
    They only had the 3.0l models for us to drive, even then most had several options so we're talking about $40k or so list prices on them.

Wonder what the 2.5l would feel like. It might not be too bad with a manual tranny.

-juice
  • Options
    I think the X3 would be a lot more fun with the 6-speed manual.

Bob
  • Options
    boomerbubbaboomerbubba Member Posts: 40
    I have had a new 2004 XT for a week. Just passed break-in.

This is beyond a doubt the most fun, best-engineered vehicle I have ever owned. And that includes the BMW 2002 I drove for 19 years.
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, your XT has had the benefit of decades of engineering advances.

Let's not take anything away from a car that basically created the entire sports sedan segment.

In a lot of ways I have more respect for that 2002 than I do for the new Bimmers. It was light, simple, back-to-basics, and nothing was on it that didn't make it go faster.

-juice
  • Options
    BTW, congrats, and please join us in the Subaru Crew threads under Owners Clubs right here on Edmunds.com.

-juice (founder and Crew Chief of the Subaru Crew)
  • Options
    ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
  • Options
    <crickets chirping>

Nice to know I have one whole fan. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    boomerbubbaboomerbubba Member Posts: 40
    Well, to be fair, your XT has had the benefit of decades of engineering advances.

That is absolutely right, of course. The basic engineering of the BMW 2002 was set in the mid-60s with the 1600 series.

But the holistic comparison for me is not completely specious. When I bought my bimmer, the folks in Bavaria were known for Spartan sports sedans. BMW drivers drove them aggressively. They waved and flashed their lights at each other. Like you said, this "created the entire sports sedan segment."

Then, about the time old hippies like me grew into yuppies and started making money, the whole BMW line shifted upscale toward the carriage trade. If you waved at another yuppie in a 3-Series, he just wondered who you were.

In a way I feel like I've gone back to my roots with the Subaru XT. I simply love to drive it!

p.s. I wish I still had the 2002, too. Nineteen years was not enough.
  • Options
    It's funny because the Subaru crowd has grown, and a lot, since the WRX arrived for 2002. So I feel like that's happened a little bit with Subaru as well.

When I first got my '98 Forester, most Impreza owners back then understood we shared the 2.5l boxer. Nowadays some WRX owners don't even want to acknowledge that.

-juice
  • Options
    I cannot WAIT to take on a 2002 WRX (0-60 in 7.x sec) with my '04 F-XT (0-60 in 5.2 sec) at a green lite one of these days... Maybe the WRX owners should pump themselves up a bit acknowledging the lineage and similarities... ;-)
  • Options
    7.x for an automatic with no brake-torqueing, perhaps. Manuals are just a tick or two behind the F-XT. I think the benchmark time for a WRX is 5.4 seconds or so.

-juice
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone specifically cross-shopping the Forester XT against the X3?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Here we go again. The XT's thrust doesn't appeal to me without the handling. The price is right but you know the story... you pay the BMW premium to ride on rails, lock onto the road and maneuver like a cat. The XT is as loose as a goose.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I wouldn't quite say it is loose as goose. It rides on the okay side, neutral ride no torque steer.
  • Options
    But you trade-off the stiffest ride this side of a Corvette Z06. I could feel the pavement joints in the parking lot of FedEx Field, and mine didn't even have the Sport package.

For the Forester you can always pick up STi components and bigger sway bars.

-juice
  • Options
    I don't think it had a stiff ride at all. To each their own though. Maybe I like stiff suspensions. :)
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I guess it would be worth it if you really want the power. But then there's the matter of the high (numerical) steering ratio which is a big culprit in the XT in my opinion. I don't think that can be changed.
  • Options
    Nope, not easily.

-juice
  • Options
    kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    I am also a former BMW owner (320i) and drove that car for 14 years! Loved it! But, when I cross-shopped the Forester XT with the BMW X3, there was really no comparison. I thought the Subaru blew the BMW completely away. The BMW drove like a Cadillac - something for my mother to drive. Could not feel the road and it was like a deluxe SUV, not a sporty car at all! It was, however, very *pretty* compared with the lines of the Forester. I have never owned a Subaru, but will be buying a Forester XT Limited shortly. The test drive (and I drove it 3 separate times, including on the freeway by myself!) just took my breath away. I only wish they would make a better looking car - that sucker is damn ugly!! But, boy can it move! I'm only hoping that all the good things that the Subaru owners have written here is true! I really want a no-hassle car.

Samantha
  • Options
    The Subaru is fast! No doubt. I test drove the X3 and it handled as well as my 330i. It does not drive anywhere close to your daddy's caddy. it also depends on whether you test drove the 3L or 2.5L model.

The Subaru does not handle like that, not even close. The luxury amenities on the Subie are also quite different than the X3.
  • Options
    I drove the only ones they had - they were all the sport package version. I heard that the other, regular one is better, but they had the sport models stacked double wide in the lot and none of the others. It was an automatic, because I'm done with stick shifts. The X3, of course, has better amenities - it's a BMW which is a luxury car. I don't know what your 330i drove like. I had a 1980 320i, which is the next model up from the old 2002. It didn't even have power steering! I also drove my friend's 1985 3 series, which was similar to my old one. Maybe all the newer BMW's drive like Caddies with that smooooth ride! I guess everyone has different expectations from their car. I even thought that the RAV4 had a better road "feel" than the BMW. But, I didn't get the chance to take either of them out on the freeway, like I did with the Subaru. I'm glad that I didn't like the BMW - I thought I was gonna love it and then be disappointed to have to "settle" for something less if I couldn't find a good used one. No one can believe I'm buying a Subaru! No one even knows what a Subaru is! They think it's like an Isuzu or a Kia!!!

Samantha
  • Options
    I understand what your saying. After I got my 330i a number of friends drove it. One of them just took it around the neighborhood. The comment was: "I don't see what's so special about it".

To see the difference between the 330i and the XT, you have to take it into a curve and mash the gas. Do the same with the RAV4. Driving it at 50 with a light foot tells you nothing about the car. Also if you ever have the chance take the X3 up to 130.

I'm not defending the X3 by any means, but after a 330i and subaru and having extensively test drove the X3, I can say the X3 handles like a sedan. No it doesn't have the punch of the XT, but the BMWs do not drive like Caddy's they are meant to be pushed very hard and maintain absolute composure. Take any BMW into the twisties and drive it hard it will not waiver.

Try that with a Caddy.
  • Options
    I guess I'll have to try the X3 again. I was actually *afraid* to drive it hard and take the turns fast, because it felt like such a boat, just driving down the street! After driving the XT and being much closer to the ground with a lower center of gravity, I was scared to drive the X3 the same way. When I go back to Toyota to check out the RAV4 V-6, I'll stop by BMW (which is down the street) and drive the X3 again to check out what you're describing. At any rate, I don't want another 6 cyl car because my current one eats too much gas. The XT is the fastest 4 cyl SUV/wagon on the road and that's why it's really my only option. Unless the RAV4 V-6 gets similar mileage, which I doubt.

Samantha
  • Options
    The X3 seemingly has more mass than the XT, but it doesn't drive like it has more mass. Don't expect miracles in gas mileage from the XT though. The most I get is about 27 mph, but I have to refrain from punching it at every light. One of the negatives is the lack of a 5 gear in the tranny causing the engine to spin at a rate higher than some other vehicles at highway speed. You can probably expect similiar mileage from the X3 as the XT. The X3 does weigh about 500 lbs more than the XT but you could never tell. Of course the X3 3L is a bit more expensive.

The RAV6 should have decent acceleration, but again, no matter how fast in a straight line, it will not drive like the X3. I'm not saying BMWs are for everybody, but the X3s overall handling will be much better than both of these.

Having owned a BMW I'm sure you can appreciate the comments.
  • Options
    I thought it did feel heavy, much more so than a 3 series wagon for instance. In fact I'd recommend that vehicle if you want to stay in the BMW family and truly enjoy sporty handling.

Before you say I drive like grandma - at the X3 Test Drive event, I won that little orange cone they hand out for "Best Performance". And my X3 didn't even have the Sport Package.

-juice
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    No one ever said you drive like grandma. They said grandPA.

Len
  • Options
    jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Samantha/kumari, you ABSOLUTELY can drive the X3 VERY hard.

What sold me (more than a year before I actually bought) was the BMW X3 Ultimate Driving Event during the summer of 2004. The firm organizing the event for BMW brought in as instructors people who race professionally. (No, they weren't NASCAR/Indy-level racers -- they supplement their income doing BMW testdrive events, after all -- but they were professional drivers nonetheless.

Each instructor was "paired" with 3 event participants. One person would drive, the instructor would ride shotgun, and the other two would sit in back, listening to the critique/advice.

The course was defined by cones set up in a stadium parking lot. It was perhaps 2 miles long, with a variety of driving challenges -- long and short straightaways, sweeping turns, S-turns, hairpin turns. Top speed, maybe circa 60/70 on the longest straight.

Everyone accelerated HARD, braked HARD, and cornered HARD. They went through a LOT of tires.

The instructor in my X3 (riding shotgun) moved the transmission to neutral when one of the other participants did something phenomenally stupid (shortly before completely blowing out the course completely), but otherwise it was very evident that the level of confidence that the X3's could be pushed very, very hard without a serious safety risk.

So when I was back in the market late this year, the X3 was at the top of my list.

The one vehicle I might have waited for is the Acura RDX (due out this year). But after truly awful service experiences with the two Acura dealers in my area, that brand knocked itself out of contention. (It would have been a different story if I were still in the state where I'd orginally bought my Acura.)

If you want the utility that a SAV/SUV offers, you're going to have to give up some gas mileage to get it. The larger shape will never be as efficient as a comparable station wagon.

But with family and dogs, I want every bit of extra space I can get in a SAV/SUV that's still a blast to drive.

(And I'm not regretting my decision to forgo the RDX, even though the photos out of Detroit just this week and the engine specs are impressive.)

VERY happy with my X3.
  • Options
    Thanks for straightening me out. :D

jrynn is describing the same event I attended, I still have the miniature orange cone to prove it.

-juice
  • Options
    I can't believe you get as much as 27 MPG from the XT!!!! I'd be thrilled with 20 MPG!!! I only do city driving - primarily w/in 5 miles from my house, so I'll probably get 18 and be thrilled with that! I just want the extra power for those times when I'm on the freeway or want to go to the mountains. I wouldn't feel safe in an automatic 4 cyl car w/o the turbo. I like knowing the power is there if and when I need to use it. The BMW X3, being a 6 cyl, gets less gas mileage - I think the sticker may have said 17 or 18 city and it's usually a few miles less than that. The XT said 21/27, I think, and that was for the auto. The stick didn't get as good mileage according to the brochure.

BTW, where are you guys doing all this fun test track driving? I've never heard of these things.

Samantha
  • Options
    You piqued my interest with the Acura RDX, so I googled it and saw a preliminary pic. It reminds me of the Toyota Prius, more like a car than a wagon or SUV. I really need the height in the cargo area to accomodate dog crates and home repair supplies (lumber, tools, etc.), so that's why I need something different.

Right now I have a Mazda Navaho 4X4 which is on a truck chassis and has a lot of hauling room and can handle weight. I bought an armoire on eBay last year and schlepped it home in the back of my car!! Won't be doing that with any of these. Heh, heh, heh.

You know, I actually started a conversation with someone in a parking lot today because they were driving a Toyota Prius - and she was so proud of it - said it gets 42 MPG average! And, it does have a lot of cargo room with the fold-down seats. But, unfortunately, not enough for me, which is too bad, because I can pick up a certified one used at the Toyota lot.

Thanks guys, for all the tips,

Samantha
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Regarding the cargo area of a Forester: I have carried a full size top freezer refrigerator, a full size dishwasher in its shipping crate and several low dressers in the back of my 2001 (not all at the same time of course!). I can also stand several full size garbage cans up in back at the same time. I think juice said he has carried a washer (or dryer) in his as well. It may not fit an tall armoire (but then again, it just might, depending on how you load it in), but it does fit an amazing amount of stuff.

Len
  • Options
    "The BMW X3, being a 6 cyl, gets less gas mileage"

Not necessarily, the BMW has a 5th gear overdrive so the engine revs much lower than the XT at highway speeds.
  • Options
    Subaru Forester is one of only 6 SUVs and the only small SUV to earn a good rating for protection against whiplash injuries in rear-end crashes.

Excerpts from article:

ARLINGTON, VA &#151; Only 6 of the seat/head restraint combinations in 44 current model SUVs are rated good for protection against whiplash injuries in rear-end crashes. None of the seat/head restraint designs in 15 pickup truck models earns a good rating. Overall 4 out of 5 SUV and pickup seat/head restraints recently evaluated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety are rated marginal or poor for whiplash protection. This is the first time the Institute has tested SUV and pickup seats using a dummy that can measure forces on the neck during a simulated rear-end crash.

Only the seats in the Ford Freestyle, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover LR3, Subaru Forester, and Volvo XC90 models earn good overall ratings.

"Manufacturer advertising often emphasizes the rugged image of SUVs and pickups," says Institute president Adrian Lund. "However, the Institute's evaluations show seats and head restraints in many models wouldn't do a good job of protecting most people in a typical rear impact in everyday commuter traffic."

Seat/head restraints in the Volvo XC90 and Subaru Forester earn good overall ratings, in part because of their advanced designs that help keep the head and torso moving together in a crash. As an occupant's torso sinks into the Subaru seat during a rear crash, a mechanism in the seatback is designed to push the head restraint up and toward the back of the head.

Full article is here: http://www.highwaysafety.org/news/2006/pr010806.html

-Frank
  • Options
    Good news indeed Frank. I wished the WRX and WRX Limited had those good head rests. The WRX TR does, however.

Bob
  • Options
    Len, RE: the cargo area. I'm amazed you got a refrigerator in there. It barely had the clearance height to accept an airline type XL dog crate and it took up the ENTIRE back area. And this was with the rear seats folded down. I schlepped the damn crate down there to make sure it would fit before deciding on the car. I'm wondering if the 2001 you mention had a higher clearance. Right now, I'm glad I still have my huge, gas-guzzling SUV because I have to schlep a twin sized bed and frame to my mother's house. I'm really gonna miss all that space, but not the lousy gas mileage. And, if I really need the help, my cousin drives a Suburban. LOL
  • Options
    FYI, I have one of those airline type extra large dog kennels and it fits in the back of my 04 Forester with the rear seats up (it's tight but it fits). Maybe the brand you have is just that little bit larger?

-Frank
  • Options
    The boxy shape means it's more useful than you might think, mine fit an oversized clothes dryer, box and all, on its side (pic below).

The hatch even closed.

-juice
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    The squarer cargo area definitely comes in handy. The bulkiest item I've loaded back of my boxy Forester was one of those 95-gallon rolling garbage bins, the kind the city gives residence for solid waste collection. Also the same ones you probably have around your office for confidential documents that will go to be shredded. Like this:

Anyway, plenty of room on the sides but from ceiling to floor was a little snug (the fact that it was stuffed with probably 130 lbs of assorted junk didn't help). The hatch still closed, barely though. If it had been any more angled it wouldn't have shut.

Doug
This discussion has been closed.