Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra Access Cabs

reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
edited March 2014 in Toyota
...and what packages should I order with it. I was
looking for a SR5 but haven't seen a Limited yet.
What should I look for in terms of packages on the
4X2 since I need to haul a boat or trailer with it?

Comments

• cskalacskala Member Posts: 23
    Limiteds are in short supply. I bet you'll get a better deal with a SR5. Options I'd highly recommend are the TRD (fairly cheap for what you get, and I've read the standard suspension gets bouncey up front on uneven pavement) I got a Limited 4x4 for the leather - kinda wished the bench seats came in leather, they're very comfortable and the "captain chairs" arm rests are kinda short. I'd also highly recommend ABS and the VIP 3000 alarm from toyota.
  • not2anonymousnot2anonymous Member Posts: 7
    So far I have walked away from two [and as of
    Monday maybe three] Toyota Dealers in Central
    Arkansas. The main problem seems to be an
    incessant need to low ball on the trade and creep
    upwards of 25% over invoice on the new.
    Armed,(thru Edmunds),with the facts these
    "professionals" seem to look at you as if you're
    from Mars when you give them an honest offer. I
    have remained consistent on my trade's appraisal
    and offered a flat $500 over invoice. In each case
    I have watched every dealership creep those
    figures back up to 27K-29K while I stand there and
    tell them I know the cost is just over 25K. One
    "rocket scientist" even wrote his "bottom dollar"
    on the actual invoice. When he showed me his
    figure I saw that the invoice on it was $24,975.
    He said he had to get $28,000 for it. I shook my
    head and laughed and said "I hope you get it...but
    it won't be from me".
    If we all would do this we could bring these guys
    back to reality.
  • not2anonymousnot2anonymous Member Posts: 7
    I have finally [after three dealers] figured out
    where my figures and 'theirs' take opposing turns.
    In each case 'the dealers' have items such as:
    MAF and PIA and PIO added to their invoices. Ask what they are and they "can't tell you". All I get is that this is something that all the cars have tacked in and advertising and floorplan and financing is drawn against it. Can you get out from under any of it by pre-custom ordering? NO.
    What has happened is all the 'splurge' money I was intending to use on optioins I wanted would now be eaten up by these non-existent costs that "the factory puts on there". Not this time, Toyo. Keep your Tundras til you decide to play fair.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    Does anyone else think it was silly of Toyota to call one of it's Tundra packages "Limited"? It's pure fodder for the Toyota bashers.

"Is that the package or are they finally being truthful about the towing ability? Ha Ha Ha!"

They should have called it "Special" or given it a specific name like Ford did with "Lariat".
    Just my opinion.
    -powerisfun
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Lariat is the rope Ford owners use to hang themselves! ;) LOL
  • macduffmacduff Member Posts: 15
    Try some of the internet dealers, like carorder.com, or autobytel.com. or autoweb. You should be able to get a better deal.
  • junktogojunktogo Member Posts: 3
    I too am in Arkansas and have tried the internet car buying services without success. With Gulf states you are probably going to be conned/hustled it seems to me. It looks like the dealers are holding together on this one in this area. Am considering going the 800+ miles to Jim Barkley but wonder if I would go that far and not find what I expect. No hassle and a realistic price would be nice. There may be a Chevy in my future, my Ford is ready to retire.

lostname@juno.com
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    For everyone in the Gulf States region, you owe it to yourself to checkout Covington Pike Toyota in Memphis. They are outside the Gulf States region and don't tack on all the little useless but expensive items that Gulf States does. They can order one (if the factory makes the combo) just like you want it.
  • hilelhilel Member Posts: 1
    WHEN STARTING MY SEARCH FOR A PICKUP, I USED MAGAZINES AND EDMUND'S TO DETERMINE WHICH I WANTED. I CHOSE THE TUNDRA BECAUSE OF MY OWN FAMILY'S GOOD FORTUNE W/TOYOTAS ALTHOUGH I HAVE OVER 320,000 MILES ON A CHEV. ASTRO. ANYWAY I SAW THE NAME JIM BARKLEY (IN ASHEVILLE,NC) SEVERAL TIMES AND LOOKED UP THEIR WEBSITE. I ALSO SENT INQUIRIES TO ABOUT TEN DEALERS LOCATED IN CHARLOTTE, COLUMBIA AND JACKSONVILLE. NONE RESPONDED TO MY EMAIL, AND ONE DEALER QUOTED ME A PRICE SUPPOSEDLY JUST $500 OVER INVOICE ON THE PHONE. A FELLOW BY THE NAME OF ALLAN BLAKEMORE AT JIM BARKLEY RESPONDED IMMEDIATELY TO MY EMAIL, REPLIED TO ALL MY PHONE CALLS, AND HELD THE TRUCK WHILE I GOT A FRIEND TO DRIVE ME THE 175 MILES TO ASHEVILLE. JIM BARKLEY'S TUNDRA HAD ALL THE OPTIONS WHICH THE CHARLOTTE DEALER HAD (THE ONE $500 ABOVE INVOICE) AND ALMOST $2000 MORE, AND YET IT WAS STILL $150 LESS THAN THE CHARLOTTE DEALER'S OFFER. ONCE I GOT THERE, I WAS TREATED EXTREMELY WELL. BY ALLAN BLAKEMORE AND ALSO BY RICHARD MARLOWE WHO PROMISED ME A LITTLE GIFT AND SENT IT THE NEXT DAY. ALLAN ALSO HELPED MY FRIEND LOCATE A CONSTRUCTION COMPANY IN THE AREA. AS I SATISFIED? YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. I'LL BE HAPPY TO WRITE IN GREATER DETAIL ABOUT MY TRUCK AND MY EXCELLENT TREATMENT.
  • ffoutsffouts Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Thunder gray Tundra, with oak leather interior. The carpet is more gray than oak. When I ordered floormats, the salesperson ordered oak,which is what my interior is, and they don't really match my carpet. Should I have ordered the gray? The charcoal? Has anyone else had this problem? I realize this isn't a life or death problem, just trying to match the colors of carpet. Thanks
  • jtedjted Member Posts: 17
    Try Autobytel, I live in Wisconsin and got a Quote from a dealer 40 miles away, not bad but they dealt, so I went up 3 year's for less then 8 Grand, I don't think was bad.
    Also what about Gas Mileage, What are other Tundra owns getting?
  • edk4edk4 Member Posts: 5
    I am planing to purchase a Tundra soon. Since I don,t pull a boat or camper. I was wondering how the V-6 does in the truck. I am concerned with the low gas mileage. Would like to hear from V-6 owners.
    ED
  • ewiesnerewiesner Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased in Arkansas 3 times. I live in Omaha Nebraska and drive to Harrison, Arkansas to purchase my Toyota vehicles from Magness Toyota. When you get there insist on speaking to Bill Magness, Owner and dealer principle. I think you will find he treats you right.
  • jtedjted Member Posts: 17
    I owned 2 T100's with the 3.4 V-6 before I bought the Tundra, and I was happy with the V-6. About 16 mpg average.It had plenty of get up and go. But I like the V-8 better execpt for the Gas Mileage.
  • kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    Just check out the other Tundra forums and tundradude has a V6 standard cab with manual. Fuel economy is not that much different but not what you would expect in today's fuel efficient autos.
    I asked the same question you have on the other forums. Not many V6 units are being produced. The major factor is the price.
  • edk4edk4 Member Posts: 5
    Just drove home a new Tundra to try out before I buy it. When It is at idle, the oil gauge goes almost to bottom and I do mean low, anyone else have this, is this normal, it goes high when driving at higher speed.
    I think I will ask for another one.
    ED
  • good_guygood_guy Member Posts: 11
    I myself have a V-6 F-150. I would get the V-8 since it has a higher payload rating, atleast. From what I hear mpg's aint that much different. But I suggest if you get the V-6, put some helper springs to gain some more payload. Let me tell you though, I am crazilly biased about having more payload capacity so keep that in mind. I would imagine, an empty Tundra V-6 would perform like a loaded Tacoma.

Leo dC
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    It is normal....you will find that all Tundras(at least V8 Tundras) do it.
  • dudeboydudeboy Member Posts: 55
    Took my new Tundra for a drive yesterday and got scared when I looked at the oil pressure gauge while idling at a stop light. It was on the lowest mark on the gauge! I slipped it into neutral and the gain in RPM brought it up off the "peg", but not by much. The manual says this is normal, but I can't believe it. It must have too much clearance in the mains or Toyota is putting in something lighter than 5W-30 for break-in. What would it be if it was a hot day and I had been "working" the engine hard? Don't know whether to take it back to them or keep driving it. This is pretty disappointing for such a highly touted engine!
  • cole12cole12 Member Posts: 10
    When an engine is at idle there is only around 5 to 7 psi of oil pressure. Believe me there is nothing wrong.
  • rik6rik6 Member Posts: 2
    I have a big bass boat. Was wondering how the new Tundra towed a boat. I currently have a(in the shop)Dodge. How does the Tundra perform under towing?

Rik6
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I had the same "problem" with a Nissan 4x4 - no oil pressure at idle. When new the dealer said it was normal, I sold it at 104,000 miles and no oil related failures so he must have been right. You get used to it. The only problem is trying to explain this to someone when you go to sell the truck. I had two dealers tell me the reason they were not willing to pay more for my truck was because of the low oil pressure, also looked into a consignment dealer. He puts your truck on his lot and charges $250 after it sells (unlike the normal dealer he had little to gain by lying). He said - Most people look at the oil pressure gauge and when it reads low the do not want to buy. I think many cars and trucks have had low oil pressure at idle but they do not have a gauge only the dummy light so you can not really tell.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    With only 5-7 lbs oil pressure at idle, didn't you get a lot of valve clatter, especially on hot day's. Both my Tacoma's sure did, but it was after the head gaskets were replaced from premature failures. I don't know if their is a correlation or not, but I wouldn't buy a truck with low oil pressure, even at idle.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    No valve noise, ran great even after 104K of abuse. I do agree I would not want another truck that was designed to have low oil pressure, but it is more because of the resale / trade in issue (comments on post 22) rather that engine failure.
  • bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    I also think that the smaller engines are better suited to take that kind of neglect. The V8 engines have bigger moving parts which by Newtons 2nd law, will need more oil than smaller moving parts, i.e. mass, inertia, friction, forces, etc.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    What do you want to know?
  • hopkohopko Member Posts: 4
    The Lx470 and the Land Cruiser show low oil pressure at idle. It is the same engine and it is normal.
  • tigerfan1tigerfan1 Member Posts: 1
    Just ordered a V8, 2 WD, Access Cab, Thunder Grey, Conv. package, 3-1 combo CD, Auto, liner, fog lamps, from Toyota Killeen, TX. Delivery time 2-4 weeks. Anyone bought from this dealer? How was delivery time? Can't wait.
  • stockcerts2stockcerts2 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find out what the differences will be in the 2001 model Tundras. I've decided to wait until the next model year before making my purchase. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any info. Thanks!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Not a slam, cause I don't know either.

But just to let you know what the competition is showing for oil pressure, around 40-50 psi at idle, in 5.3L Chevrolet V8.
  • tigerskintigerskin Member Posts: 10
    I was told that for 2001-2002 will have stepside and 4 door versions.
  • parlinparlin Member Posts: 4
    with all these vibration problems that I'm reading,I will wait until Toyota acknowledges the problem & fixes it or a Ford 150 will be my next pick-up this spring. I have noticed in the past two weeks that there are more Tundras at dealerships in Mass.-not sell?? Is it vibration problems that have us possible future buyers concerned and/or increasing gas prices at the pump
  • parlinparlin Member Posts: 4
    with all these vibration problems that I'm reading,I will wait until Toyota acknowledges the problem & fixes it or a Ford 150 will be my next pick-up this spring. I have noticed in the past two weeks that there are more Tundras at dealerships in Mass.-not selling?? Is it vibration problems that have us possible future buyers concerned and/or increasing gas prices at the pump??
  • dsmeyerdsmeyer Member Posts: 1
    I have fallen for the Dodge ram 1500 extended cab but heard from many different sources that it was unreliable. I've heard good things about the Toyota tundra extended cab and wondered if i'm falling again. is it worth the price? if you own one, what do you think?
  • redfox1redfox1 Member Posts: 42
    I received my Tundra on May 25, 1999. I now have over 10,000 miles on it and have never been happier in my life with a pickup truck. In the past, I had a Datsun pickup that I put over 90,000 miles on and then 5 different Ford F-150;s that I put over 450,000 miles on, so I have had a little bit of experience with this type of vehicle. Everyone who has riden in my Tundra have had nothing but great compliments about it. Its a great truck and I think you would be well pleased with it.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I couldn't be happier with mine unless it got 20+ MPG. I've got an SR5 Access cab 4x4 with about 2800 miles on it (manuf. 1/7/00). I have not had the first problem with mine. No vibrations or anything. Note that I have the wheels and tires like on the limited (P265 Dunlops).
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    I have 6500 miles on mine and love it. Best truck I have ever owned. I had a Dakota R/T before this one and as far as fit, finish, and technology go this truck is leap years ahead. I have had some problems with Daimler Chrysler as a company but all in all the R/T was a good truck. I mean the 5.9 engine is a little dates and sucks the gas down and it tended to run like a dog in hot weather but these are just personal observations and in no way quality problems. I have heard the problems with the RAMs also but you take your chances with whatever you buy. Just take care of it and it will take care of you. Drive em both, see which one elicits more of an emotional response. The RAM is definitely bigger. I mean the Tundra is no midsize but the RAM is bigger. The Tundra tends to drive alot like the european sports sedan of the Truck world. Good luck and enjoy. If you go with the Dodge I would have to recommend the Patriot Blue very sharp color.
  • jdotson1jdotson1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2000 SR-5 two weeks ago and paid $1000 over invoice. Got mine with the V-8 and gulf coast package which included fender flares, bigger tires and wheels (unique aluminum style that doesn't show up in Toyota parts dept.), sliding rear window, towing package, fog lights, bed liner, alarm, etc.

I've put about 200 miles on it and so far it's great. To get the color and options I wanted I had to settle for captains chairs, but sure wish I had the big arm rest that came with the bench seat. Anyone know of a armest designed to fit on the center console for the models that come with captains chairs?

My only problem is getting past the 1000 mile break in period. Owners manual recommends not going over 55mph for the first 1000 miles. Seems a bit extreme, but hey, they know best so I'll do as told ;-(
  • fstrohlfstrohl Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody tell me from experience how the V8 Tundra handles when pulling a 2 horse trailer, like to know before i buy one. I know the big 3 will do it. But i love the Tundra
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    Cant give ya the tell on that horse trailer, but can give ya this one:

Last summer my cousin Franklin and my Grand-Uncle Bob (know as Rube round these parts), went to test one, but wanted to tow that massey behind it durin that run. Them folks refused it flat out. If I was you, I be wantin to do that run haulin full up with that horse trailer, be findin out for myself before droppin the green. Heard tell of folks gettin that letdown on the haul before. Good luck on this one now.
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    Just for your info toyota has a supercharger
    that is made for the V6. There was a guy in
    maryland who had it put on. If you are not
    pulling heavy loads ie. heavy construction, you
    can save yourself 1500 - 2000. Remember one thing
    a lot of dealerships will tell you they do not
    make one or there book does not show them for
    their region. It maybe true for the region but
    Toyota makes a MODEL#7822 Tundra Access Cab SR5
    4WD V6. The V8 is the main production but they
    are making some V6's. In the north east there
    are a couple.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    The Tundra is sweet!!! Drive it, you'll fall in love. A full size truck with proven Toyota reliability. No more getting stuck with a big-3 lemon. Life's good!
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    There is indeed a 7822 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V6-- Just ordered one today. I ordered the automatic version, but a 5 speed is available. Paid $500 over invoice. Hassled with three local (Southern Maine) dealers -- what a bunch of arrogant jerks.

Ended up ordering from a New Hampshire dealer - no hassle, no pressure. What a difference. Second new Toyota I've purchased over the years - first one was the same hassle. WHY must these guys be this way???

Just blowing steam -- looking forward to the truck.
    Delivery time is 4 to 6 weeks - looking forward to the truck.
    27jr:

Tundra specifics: 7822
    CA, CQ, AL, DZ, LF, AB, CF. $25078 invoice,
    $500 profit and $99 doc fee - 25,677 out the door. Unfortunately I'll have to deal with Maine sales tax when I register it, but there's the deal.

In looking at your specs, what is V3? I am not familiar with that code. Also, I probably will add the BL, as he said I had about 2 weeks to change, delete options. I went with the Imperial Jade Mica with #11 Light Charcoal interior. What color did you choose? Also, when did you order and what time frame are you looking at?
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    market525

V3 - Delux security system 188.00, I also had
    ordered the Imperial Jade Mica with Oak interior.
    I put my order in two weeks ago. The manufacture
    rep for the dealerships took the order. I'm
    looking at May - Jun time frame but he said it
    will most likely be earlier. As you can see I paid
    about 200 more but that included the 5% Maryland
    sales tax.
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    Recently tried to lower the rear seat back to clean rear window. Their are two handles behind each headrest. Have pushed,pulled and it won't budge. Book says just "pull" I assume up and it will release. Don't know if it's 'just new' and still tight,or what. Don't want to use to much force until I know. Will take it in for first service in 2 or 3 weeks, but in the meantime wonder if anyone else has had the problem ?

A few days ago took a trip of about 100 miles,mostly freeway, and drove at various speeds from 50-75... No shake or vibration yet! Got 18.6mpg...

I am surrounded (neighbors)with Fords, Dodges, and Chevies. They are happy with their choice,and so am I.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    As far as I know the seat back is fixed. The handles allow the seat bottom to flip up.
  • tundrafantundrafan Member Posts: 2
    I am also researching for the 2001 Tundra. Can anyone tell when it will be at the dealerships and what will be improved? i.e., the list of changes.
  • geezer3geezer3 Member Posts: 30
    rs_petty... Have no problem raising the seats, but sure I read in the owners manual that the 'seat back ' can be lowered by pulling the handles behind the headrests. Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part,but will take it up with the dealer when I get the first oil change. Another 100 miles today in mixed driving, and got 17.8mpg.
    Thanks for the input..
    27jr:

My dealer tells me the truck is preferenced. April 11th is the last day to change my mind and make and "major" option changes, and the truck is scheduled to be built on April 24. He expects it at his dealership about 1 week later.

Was wondering if you've heard anything else on your order?
This discussion has been closed.