Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Looks just like my '03 4Runner!!!
  • accordfreakaccordfreak Member Posts: 39
    I drove by two dealers today just hoping to see one first hand. Then I'll test drive and post my findings/thoughts here.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I don't think the lack of a v8 option is a problem as long as the new v6 performs well. Looks like the new 4.0 will have more hp and similar torque output to Ford's 4.6v8 and will be a little less than some other competitors.

I tow my 4500lb boat all over the place with My 01 LE without any trouble. A 5 speed auto trans would definitely help, at 65-70mph, I really can't tow in O/D and 3rd runs around 3500rpm which gets old after hours on the highway. A gear to split the ratios would be perfect. I understand the new PF will have a 5speed trans with more power to boot. Performance shouldn't be an issue.
  • jager32jager32 Member Posts: 15
    I agree the new PF V6 has the same HP number as the new 05 4 runner V8, 270.

My question is if the Full time, All mode 4WD system will be available on the SE. in 04 models you have to get the LE to get that option and based on what Nissan has on their website it looks like that will stay the same. That would be dissapointing, because that's an important option for me, but the LE will get pricey.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    They are showing the 2005 Pathfinder at the Paris autoshow this week. It will be sold in Europe, but with a diesel only. So at least this proves that it is compatible with a 2.5L Diesel engine. I would love to have this engine in the Pathy in United States! However, we will have to wait about 2 years for this decision to be made and even then it is not for sure. I don't have the specs on the 2.5 diesel, but it would have at least 170 hp and 300 ft-lb to be a competetive engine. That would tow the 6000lbs max rating easily. Of course, it would have a much better fuel mileage as well!

2FastDre.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Has anyone see any '05 pricing yet? I hope its not too dang expensive.
    jgriff,

I think that you can still "build" a 2005 Pathy online at www.nissanusa.com (under "Future Vehicles" section). NissanUSA has enabled this feature 6-8 months ago. I think that it is the absolute best consumer study that any manufacturer can do. Allowing customers to virtually build and option a future product several months ahead of production and accurately measuring the most/least popular options and configurations.

Is it dang expensive? In my opinion, it is a little expensive (although not as expensive as a 4Runner). I think I might get a slightly used 2005 or 2006 Pathy and get a decent decrease in price.

2FastDre.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    A diesel would be awesome. The added fuel economy would be great and effortless torque output would make towing my boat a breeze.

I agree that a min of 300+ft/lbs of torque and HP in the high 100s is a must for the diesel. What does the 2.5 diesel they are using in Europe put out?
  • shtirlitzshtirlitz Member Posts: 14
    If nissanusa.com site is used as a reference then I would say it's a lot more expensive than 4runner. And Pathfinder has always been cheaper, so the site's info is very dissappointing...
  • jms9jms9 Member Posts: 17
    The thing with the nissanusa.com pricing tool is that the prices change daily and from region to regions. Like 2fastdre said, it's a way for Nissan to see the most popular configurations and prices and the msrp will likely be much lower.
  • zmaczmac Member Posts: 3
    "third-row seat is now standard equipment

And it split-folds, unlike the Armada/QX."

Wow! Nissan is really aiming at the 300+lbs and 5+ brood market. I thought the Armada was the nod to that segment. Hope they didn't forget to make standard the "super-size" cup holders and the "Baby On Board" sign.

What a pity. Bigger, uglier and with a third-row seat. And instead of Japanese quality, we now have Canton, Miss. quality (and it also looks like it was styled there).

And I was so looking forward to the new Pathfinder....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's a major change in direction, because it's also body-on-frame.

But can you blame them? The old unibody couldn't come close to the sales of the 4Runner, despite being a lot more car-like IMO.

-juice
    What a pity. Bigger, uglier and with a third-row seat. And instead of Japanese quality, we now have Canton, Miss. quality (and it also looks like it was styled there).

I thought it was being built in Tenn. With a litte more TLC taken to ensure a better quality than Canton's 1st runs.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    Anybody know when?
    Oct. 2004, is the target date.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I know everyone probably thinks I am full of bull as I got no response several weeks ago when I said I saw my first '05 Pathfinder, but believe it or not I saw a convoy of 3 more.

First sighting was of a silver one in front of an Atlanta dealership a couple of weeks ago. As I drove by, I saw a bunch of sales guys standing around it. Not wanting to mess with shark infested waters, I figured I would cruise by after they were closed. When I went back I could not see it anywhere on their lot, and have not seen it since. Then I read they were not coming out until late October, so even I began to question my sanity.

Yesterday morning I saw three driving in formation. All had California plates (I am in Georgia) and single drivers with walkie talkies.

My impression is very favorable. The overall design is very slick. Although they have a family resemblance to the Armada, they do not suffer from the ungainly proportions and odd roof line (IMHO)of the Armada, and the overall look seems better to me in a smaller and more reasonable sized package. I am looking forward to their official unveiling.
    I believe you, why would you lie?

You must have seen either test vehicles, or a training program for dealer staff, something like that.

I swear I saw a new Golf on the roads the other day, and they're not supposed to arrive until late next year in the US. Might have been a diplomat's car, since all the embassies are here in Washington.

-juice
  • mpg7mpg7 Member Posts: 17
    I am not 300+ lbs, I do have a wife and 5 kids, and i do not supersize anything, nor have I ever owned a Baby On Board sign. I also heard Tenn is the build factory as well. I do, however, like the new design very much. I currently drive a 1995 PF (truck on frame design) and will take a serious look at the new one. It will be nice to have two vehicles that can carry the whole family (wife=minivan) without buying the humongous Armada. The only minor problem I have is the fixed side windows in rear are too rectangular. I think they could soften the sharp corners a little. I would also love to see a diesel option. Oh, one more thing ZMAC, we already know you think it's ugly, so why don't you visit the German SUV forums and have a nice day.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    Nisan had one parked for all to see, and quite a few people liked it, including me. It was the Off Road edition, with the big tires. I really liked the size and third row seats. The interior was OK, not exceptional. It's definitely something I'd consider to replace our 2001 Montero LTD. Now, does anyone know MSRP?
  • tomgtomg Member Posts: 2
    I kind of agree with zmac. Standard third row seat and Armada-like design means that Nissan has abandoned the "urbanites" it was courting with the current Pathfinder and corresponding Infinity models, in favor of a different type of custommer. Why should I pay for this added seat, which takes away space and is also a bit embarrassing? Is this a sport utility vehicle or a minivan? On the looks, I remember the initial review inn either C&D or R&T referred to the current Pathfinder as a Gucci boot. The upcoming Pathfinder's shape could be referred to as a Walmart boot. I have bought two Nissans and an Infinity in the past, based on their looks and reliability, and have been very happy with them. This one doesn't have the looks, and the reliability of American-produced Japanese-branded vehicles has been consistently bellow that of those produced in Japan.

BTW, this MPG7 guy is super sizing:-) Outside of parts of the Third World and Utah, 5 kids is kind of a lot. He should stick to the minivan or school bus forums.
  • swdude987swdude987 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone have any insight on availability because everywhere it says October, but it is October. I need to get out of 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited. What a piece of junk the Jeep brand is. That is my second one with engine and transmission problems on both.

Any info would be great - ready to jump, but want to drive this first!!
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I agree about not needing a third row on a midsized SUV.

But before making judgments on its looks, wait until you have seen one. I am not crazy about the Armada and was not impressed with the pictures of the new Pathfinder, but I think they actually look better in real life, since I have been lucky enough to actually see a few.
  • tomgtomg Member Posts: 2
    atlgaxt, hope you are right about the looks. It doesn't look good in the pics, but maybe the real thing will be better - I have liked most of the current Nissan, and particularly Infinity designs, although this one is American market specific, just like the Armada, and those have been weaker. Apart from the irritation of the third seat, the Made in America label may be the real deal breaker for me: I have had problems with cars made by (prestigious) European makers, so I've had it with them. I have had no problems whatsoever with the Japanese-made Nissans/Infinity. TN just does not sound good, since even though the car makers don't like to publicize it, from the numbers I've seen their US production simply does not have the reliability of the Japanese made cars. Bummer, 'cause I hate the idea of a Toyota, be it a Landcruiser (now the new 4Runner is really ugly, in person too:-)
  • mpg7mpg7 Member Posts: 17
    You make a good point. I guess 5 kids is a supersized family to some folks. I can say it is an awful lot of fun too (and a sanity test other times). I live on the south shore of Long Island and have beach access (4WD-necessity) and like to show my kids the best parts of LI (fishing, surfing and hanging out at the beach). I, obviously need the 3rd row seat and don't think I should have to buy the 'oversized'(a minor attempt at humor here) Armada if I want a truck to take on the beach and tow a boat. I like the option of a smaller more fuel efficient truck. I am guessing the 3rd row is standard and can't be removed? Perhaps it should be an option and then at least this discussion could be put to rest. Obviously, everyone has different needs/wants/likes and we can't all be satisfied all of the time. Oh yeah, tomg, I also have a tomg. My 7 yr old son Thomas!!! Cheers, Mike
    Guys,

nissannews.com released final pricing for 2005 Pathfinder:
    - XE trim 2-wheel drive starts at MSRP of $24,650
    - SE trim 2-wheel drive starts at MSRP of $25,850 ($1,150 less than 2004 model!)
    - SE Offroad 4-wheel drive starts at MSRP of $30,450
    - LE trim 2-wheel drive starts at MSRP of $32,550

Wow, these are good prices - considering an all new vehicle. I hope that the interior material quality did not suffer too much.

2FastDre.
  • prospective2prospective2 Member Posts: 25
    I called a dealership and they said they'd have the new Pathfinder in November. I read (maybe on here) that Nissan is sending in some special quality control people to oversee the initial production because of all the quality problems they've had with their other recent new cars -- Titan and Armada(both Mississippi products not Tennessee products). Basically the company appears to realize that if they screw up the Pathfinder's reliability reputation, they're going to be in big trouble.

As far as the looks are concerned, I would hold judgment until I see it -- the pictures posted on Edmunds appear to be of a prototype vehicle, not the actual production model. The pictures on the Nissan website look a lot better.
  • hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    See Car & Driver for a new review on the Pathfinder. They were pretty impressed. The same issue has a review of the new Grand Cherokee.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The Car and Driver article on the PF is a Preview, no real numbers or "Verdict", whereas the artilce on the GC is a Full Test.

~alpha
    Official 2005 Pathfinder site is at nissanusa.com. I went there to see the official specs - and Wow! The bad news first: 2005 Pathfinder gained 500 lbs from 2004 model across the model range! That's five hundred pounds! Those extra 30 hp have a lot of extra weight to haul around. :(

On the good side, there are 3 extra inches of second row leg room, better fuel economy than 2004 models, 6000 lb max tow rating (tow hitch is standard!), tire pressure monitors standard, voltage and oil pressure gauges, loads of advanced safety features, 5 speed auto box, speed sensitive steering, etc.

2FastDre.
    It went to body-on-frame. Unibodies are much lighter, generally.

Plus it's bigger.

Still, 500 lbs, wow.

-juice
    Test drove a 2005 Pathfinder LE - Storm Gray color tonight. The dealer just got 2 in this week and the blue one sold already. The pathfinder is much nicer inside and rides better than the 2004. I am waiting to see it in silver and I am going to buy. Anyone find out the invoicing pricing yet - I have the MSRP. Need to get the invoice to make my deal.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Looks like Maxamillion might have to get a Pathfinder NEXT.

Damn, it looks so much better in dealer pictures than it does in Nissan's own pictures.
  • jerseydirtjerseydirt Member Posts: 5
    where can I see the dealer pictures?
    How did the interior feel? Was it nice, like before, or did it feel plasticky and cheap?

-juice
    Has a pic of the new Pathfinder that is from the real live inventory.

I like it. Whenever I get my degree (GOD help me) I am getting one of those things...probably an LE with EVERYTHING.

Sounds like a sweet graduation present doesn't it ;)
  • jerseydirtjerseydirt Member Posts: 5
    the black one? that thing looks horrible. the nose looks like the Durango. I hope SE-Offroad will look better with its bigger tires which may actually fill the wheel well.
  • sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    i have 2002 le and never use the second seat. if i could buy one without third seat and extra storage i would. guess i will go back to 4runner.
  • dweiserdweiser Member Posts: 288
    I think it's nice they're there in case you need them but they fold out of the way when not needed. What's wrong with that?
    I agree - the third row is nothing I need but they fold flat - yes completely flat so who cares. I test drove both the 2005 pathfinder and the 2004 4runner and the pathfinder is much nicer and rides better.
  • primitivo56primitivo56 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you drive it? I am anxiously awaiting the '05 LE. My '96 4Runner is getting a little long in the tooth. The other vehicle I am considering is a new Toyota Sequoia SR5 but it is about $40k and bigger than I need.

Thanks,
    T
    Every dealer in the Allentown, PA area has at least 1 if not 2 of them. One dealer in Montgomeryville, PA (closer to philly) has 5 of them.
    I am definately going to save up for one...

Probabaly an LE with every option.
  • tt30tt30 Member Posts: 31
    I am trying to find a gross weight of 2005 Pathfinder with no success now. Called the dealer and they don't know, told me they'll call Nissan but still didn't not get any feedback from them. Nissanusa.com does not provide such information.
    Any idea if it's more or less than 6,000lbs?
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    The information is located on www.nissannews.com. Look under specifications for the 2005 Pathfinder.

GVWR(lbs) 4x2 - 5,800
               4x4 - 6,000
  • gummygummy Member Posts: 4
    Picked up my '05 loaded LE from the dealer on Sat. and I literally do not want to leave the car at all. Nissan has improved no an already great truck in almost every imaginable way and added some extras that should have been in the Pathfinder to begin with. I will write a full review up but if anyone has questions please feel free to ask.
  • joelnovajoelnova Member Posts: 11
    Congratulations, Gummy. W'd appreciate it if you can you give your take on the interior space - 1st, 2nd & esp. 3rd row seating? Wondering if my 10 and 12 year olds will seat comfortably at the back.
    I've been anxiously waiting for this SUV myself. Been contemplating whether to get either an '04 or '05 Sequoia or this SUV.
  • rharper1rharper1 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Gummy, congrats! I am patiently waiting for the invoice price. How did you do on the price can you give a ballpark? Thanks!
    Hey Joel,

As you have probably guessed and has been reported in literature the third row is not big by any means and cuts down on the total space quite significantly. However, there is more than enough room for a couple of kids even in the third row where they should sit quite comfortably. Bigger adults will be cramped but kids should be no problem. The DVD system is also quite an impressive addition and both the second and third row have an excellent view of it.

In terms of general space, while on paper the truck does not seem a whole lot bigger Nissan seems to have reallye xpanded the interior room. I have had friends who previously had trouble being comfortable in my 2001 Pfinder tell me that they would now seriously consider this truck. There is quite a big difference in total cabin space from the older models for the better.

Hope this helps
    Hiya Harper,

I'd be happy to provide a ballpark...

I got black on black '05 Pathfinder LE with every available option including the dvd system, 9 speaker Bose stereo and teh navigation. The options also included all of teh little stuff like the microfilter, splash guards, etc etc.

The end result was a sticker of roughly 38k and change.
    Except for the color.

Is your model a 4x4 or 4x2?

I was thinking of maybe trading my Altima in for one..but I don't think I am going to do that just yet.

However, I really do like them. I saw a Silverton Blue model yesterday morning...

I really like that color. As long as I can get a black interior with it...
This discussion has been closed.