Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    I am getting a relatively small ski boat (under 20 feet / 3500 lbs). That's well within the 5000 lb limit, but the 5000 tow limit is when the thing is otherwise mostly empty. I live in Denver area, so climbing steep inclines at high elevations with a boat is very likely in my future. I will ask about a cooler, but other than that I will watch my trans oil carefully (like you say).

Thanks,
    2FastDre.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    It is for Frontier.
    It says towing, 5500lb+. There is a footnote (*), which says "for V6 model only".

My guess is that a V8 model is in the future. Other wise, what is the point of the footnote? A 4-cylinder?

Just FYI.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Prolly a 4 banger, a big one, later. The current pickup offers one.

-juice
  • nescovinnescovin Member Posts: 24
    I played around with the configurations. looks like they don't have leather seats as an option unless you choose the really expensive LE that is almost 7K more.Any inputs???
    Also when would this truck be available at the dealers?
  • neoneo Member Posts: 4
    So Nissan decided to 4Runner the Pathfinder. Take a nice looking vehicle (2004 Pathfinder, and 2002 4Runner) and make it look like the SUV that fell to earth, not to mention the extra poundage. Nissan doesn't need another Armada. One is one more than we need. Snatch up one of the the remaining 2004's while you can. They are deeply discounted and still good looking.
    They did go back to basics for the truck. But the Pathy never sold as well as the 4Runner did, so it's hard to blame them. I think the XTerra was more of a success in terms of marketing.

-juice
  • scotryanscotryan Member Posts: 4
    Yes Neo, you are absolutely correct....buy the '04 - I just did & got a $3250.00 rebate. Great selection is still available as Nissan's year-to-date sales on Pathy's are down almost 30% compared to last year. But I LOVE mine!!!!
  • hillaryhillary Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I agree. I am now driving a 2002 Explorer XLS (really don't need 3rd-row seats) and am satisfied with it, generally, except that the seat are too hard and options are too limited. I will buy a Pathfinder next year if it offers two-row-seat lines and drives on regular gas (#87). The gas is the reason that I am not considering Mitsubishi Endeavor.
    Nissan will use a 4.0l version of the VQ engine, to get a little more torque than the 3.5l.

Haven't heard if it'll require premium, though. The current engine does, but its predecessor did not.

Anyone know the octane requirement for the 4l?

-juice
    If Armada and QX56 are any good reference, the one used in Nissan would be requiring #87 and the one used in Infiniti would be requiring #91. It makes sense financially. No confirmed info.
  • zmaczmac Member Posts: 3
    Argh, ugly, ugly! This seems to have been designed in the Rust Belt with the Rust Belt buyer in mind.

I have been waiting for the new Pathfinder to add to my old one, but I guess I will have to go German now. It looks like Nissan hired the guys who designed the Navigator and the Highlander, and then had them get inspiration from the Armada.

Yuk!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I can't wait for the 2005 Pathfinder. I currently own a 2003 4Runner V6 4WD & I'm looking forward to some competition. I'm tall, & had to purchase the base SR5 4Runner cuz my head rests against the useless sunroof thats not optional on Toyota's Sport & Limited models. If Nissan builds them the way they say they are going to, I can get a loaded vehicle w/o the sunroof, as well as the desirable side airbags, heated outside mirrors, & auto dimming rearview mirror I couldn't from Toyota due to the way they build their vehicles.

The redisigned Pathfinder will force both brands to have to wheel & deal, and I'd unload my 4Runner in a heartbeat just to get a vehicle loaded the way I'd like it.

I'm counting on you future owners to post, post, post. Can't wait.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Especially with the new Grand Cherokee, and 2005 4Runner V8 finally gaining variable valve timing (270 hp and 330 lb ft. torque). FWIW, the 4Runner V6 is also going to get quicker and more efficient, as its gaining a 5 speed auto, instead of the 4.

~alpha
  • roncronc Member Posts: 4
    I also can't wait for the 2005 Pathfinder. I like the pictures so far. I cant wait to testdrive one. I choosing between this suv and the Lexus GX470. Any suggestions.
  • olisitoolisito Member Posts: 6
    I really like how it looks. The interior looks very nice. A friend of mine has the armada and that thing is beutiful! I figure if I can't affor the Armada I'll get the new Pathfinder since they look very similar. Besides with all the options that the Pathfinder is said to have I think its a very good buy.
    Any news on when it might come out??
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    I've heard that it's supposed to start arriving in showrooms by the end of September or beginning of October. Can't wait!
    I hope it doesn't have the resonance issues that the Armada has. Hopefully Nissan had time to respond to those complaints by now.

-juice
    What issues are you referring to?
    In the Armada threads people complained about a resonating sound at certain speeds, even with all the windows closed. You here a whoop-whoop-whoop and it can be very annoying, from what they were saying.

Some had their headliners removed and some adhesives added to the roof to quiet it, but even that didn't help some of the time. I haven't been there lately to see if others have had a satisfactory resolution, but last time I checked they had not.

-juice
    There was an atricle on autoweek.com that described how 200 top-shelf Nissan engineers from Japan decended onto the US plant to resolve major "Customer dissatisfiers" on 2004 Quest, Armada, and Titan. They have been there for about 3 months and are showing major progress. It said that they either redesigned or adjusted production processes for approximately 200 sub-systems. They report that these improvements will appear on the 2005 models, but the CEO will not acknowledge their reports until the 2005 JDM Quality survey shows better customer satisfaction.

I think that these quality problems happen when you rush the products out the door. And the Titan and Armada seemed rushed to me. It also seems that they are rushing the 2005 Pathfinder/Frontier/Xterra. That's a lot of new product to come out in 2 years. I just hope that they do not repeat the quality problems with the new 2005 models.

The product strategy looks good, but the engineering execution can't quite keep up with these demands.

2FastDre.
    I agree, I found the new Nissan interiors cheap and flimsy. Even the Armada had sub-par fit and finish (especially the pastics around the roof liner).

Ironically, I think they have very nice designs. So if those 200 engineers can get the quality of assembly up to the level of the design, Nissan will be in good shape.

I say Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn cut costs a little too much. Now that the products are revitalized they're adding some cost back.

-juice
  • sevencycles2sevencycles2 Member Posts: 10
    Saw a silver 05 PF on a truck with a load of Altima's yesterday on the New Jersey Turnpike heading north.
    Should be able to test drive one soon!
    That's a first, let's all keep our eyes peeled.

I'm curious to sample the 3rd row, because it splits, and the Armada's doesn't.

-juice
    What is your first impression on the looks of the vehicle?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    and it looks great.

Bob
  • sevencycles2sevencycles2 Member Posts: 10
    When I first saw photos on the internet I was not very excited by the looks. I went to the NYC auto show in April and saw it up close although you could not get in it to check out the interior. It is much better looking in person.
    Bigger than previous PF's and smaller than the Armada, in my opinion just the right size. My only comlpaint about the current one is I wish It had more storage room behind second row , which the new one will have with the third row folded flat. Not interested in the third row just the added space.
     I think it will grow on me as I see more of them.
    I am on my fourth (87,92,97,04)PF and they just keep getting better with age.
    Lets hope the US built ones will follow that trend
    I like the overall look, after seeing it with Bob in Detroit.

My one complaint is the flares are a bit exaggerated. From some angles it looks like four huge fender flares and wheels with a small body on top of them.

They did not let us inside in Detroit, either.

-juice
  • ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone know if it is true that the steering wheel mounted audio controls or leather seats will only be offered in the LE model?
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I saw a 2005 Pathfinder at a dealership in the Atlanta area.
  • mypathmypath Member Posts: 1
    Yeah I Like the leather also but not the price
    I also had the same thought about the crome grill witch looks great, witch is only available in the LE compared to the painted one any input ?
    Funny, I don't like chrome so if I had a base model I'd swap with you. ;-)

I bet that's a $120 item from the parts dept. Shouldn't be too much to sway an entire purchase.

-juice
  • sivisivi Member Posts: 20
    why can't nissan put a in diesel in pathfinder like my s-claff s class mb diesel . the mb pulls like a v8. 21 city 28 highway. this m-b 3.5 hog weighs'5500 pounds?
    Let's see how the Touareg sells with the diesel option. It's mega-pricey though.

Liberty is the only affordable SUV with a diesel option, if it's even here yet.

So, production moves from Japan to the US? I hope they dot the is and cross their Ts.

-juice
    not really a good comparison. It's mega-expensive because it's a mega-engine (5.0 V10) and super expensive to build.

Bob
    Well, that's all we have to go buy as this time. You can't even get a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel, only the HD ones get it.

-juice
    Nissan announced the power for the Frontier 4.0 V6: 265 hp / 284 lb-ft. I assumed that this is same for all 3 applications: Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra. Well, nissanusa.com future vehicle section says that Pathifinder 4.0 V6 is rated at 270 hp and 291 lb-ft! They tuned the engine even higher for the Pathfinder. They also rate it at 6000 lbs maximum tow weight. It also has all the other goodies, including DVD based navigation system. It sounds very good!

2FastDre.
    Holy horsepower, Batman!

Torque is solid, too. Guess the extra displacement helped there.

Solid. Ought to compete well with the 4Runner V8, even.

-juice
  • cwestcwest Member Posts: 1
    The edmunds.com article really didn't say much about the 4wd system. I was somewhat hoping for a full-time 4wd option, like the Land Cruiser.
    It is the same used in Armada. Read all your want in Armada description.
    is much like the ControlTrac and InstaTrac found on Ford and GM products. It's an on-demand 4WD, which activates only when needed. I too wished for a permenent and/or selectable full-time 4WD mode to be available, like that found on the 4Runner V8 & V6.

Bob
  • elemintelemint Member Posts: 79
    EXACTLY! AGAIN the us car market is decades behind the rest of the world. I will buy the first diesel mid sized suv that comes on the market (and i dont mean a overpriced v10 like the VW Toureg!)
  • prosewlawprosewlaw Member Posts: 3
    We do not need to put deael in the pathfinder, what need to happen is we need to take place is that the Fed Gov need to allow the mass production of the advance new tech /carburetor that will give use better gas milage.
    WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!! WE NEED A THIRD SEAT IN IN THE NEW PATHFINDER.
    I think it needs to be noted that the cost betweeen the Armada and the QX 56 is out rage. A ten thousand dollar diffrent for the same auto.
    I researched QX56 and Armada quite extensively. The actually MSRP difference is about $7000 , feature to feature. However, QX56 have many enhancements over Armada on the same features, say power seats (6-way vs 8-way), etc. I used to have a whole table of differences posted in QX56 board or Armada board, you may look it up if interested.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    Please tell me you are joking about the carburetor that evil forces in the government will not let us have. If not, you have been reading too many thirty year old Popular Mechanics magazines and watching too many X Files re-runs.
    I'm sure Infiniti has a longer warranty and a few perks like service loaners. That matters to someone spending $50 grand on an SUV.

third-row seat is now standard equipment

And it split-folds, unlike the Armada/QX.

I wonder if it'll sell as well as its unibody predecessor, or better.

-juice
    I just read the edmunds' 2005 Pathy review. It sounds pretty good, but it left me wondering about 2 things.

1 - Whether the lack of a V8 option will be the downfall of the 2005 Pathy. I have been very happy to hear the increase of the 4.0 V6 power, but the review points out that the overall weight also increased - thus canceling out the increase of power. Almost every other competitor has a V8 option (even the Volvo XC90). I am specifically looking for the extra oomph because of the high altitude towing that I do.

2 - The review states that the onroad handling has been slightly affected (in the negative direction) by the fact that it uses a body on frame design. They say that the current model has a slight edge on handling. Although, the off road capability has increased - they should be careful not to screw up the onroad handling. Most of these SUVs will never go off road.

That said, I will definitely test drive the next Pathy when looking for a new truck. And there is a good chance that I will buy a SE OffRoad model.

2FastDre.
This discussion has been closed.